OpenBOM Reviews & Product Details

OpenBOM Overview

What is OpenBOM?

OpenBOM is a digital network-based platform that manages product data and connects manufacturers and supply chain networks. OpenBOM manages Parts (Items), Item Masters (Catalogs), Bill of Materials, Vendors, Planning, and Purchase Orders. OpenBOM connects the various silos of data in your organization (CAD, Bills of Material, POs, ERP/PLM, and more) in a single manageable connected process.

OpenBOM Details

Deliver cloud multi-tenant BOM and inventory management technology to meet the demands of modern manufacturing and digital habits.

OpenBOM is like Google Spreadsheet for manufacturing. Simple yet powerful without the overhead, cost, and steep learning curve of ERP and PLM. OpenBOM includes superior CAD integrations that offer features and benefits far beyond the typical Excel export from CAD. OpenBOM ROI is unbeatable in the market. The prices are transparent and you can have a 14-days trial for every feature and a risk-free monthly subscription.

OpenBOM(Newman Cloud Inc)
Phone
1-844-299-9333
2016
Boston, MA

OpenBOM Videos

OpenBOM Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the OpenBOM community
Have you used OpenBOM before?

OpenBOM Reviews

Showing 106 OpenBOM reviews
Already have OpenBOM?
What do you like best?

I am a casual user but I like to use Fusion360 to create projects at home such as framing for an internal wall or building a stand for some solar panels etc. Using OpenBOM has made this process considerably simpler by exporting all the elements of my projects as individual elements. This has really helped with sourcing the correct lengths of timber and other materials for my projects. Now I've been using it I wouldn't want to go without it in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far - its doing exactly what I need! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth using in my opinion. Get the trial first to see how it works and if it suits you. I had a few questions and Oleg was super fast replying to by messages which was fantastic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As above - this helps me to break my project down into a simple bill of materials that I can use as a cutting list and to determine how much material I need to buy quickly and simply. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Open BOM has enabled us to create more order in our hardware design and production. Before using openBOM, we had a list of differten Excels, separate BOMs and basically no simple up-to-date overview for every product. Using OpenBOM quickly helped us to gain clarity on this and have a platform grouping everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At the time of starting to use openBOM there was no direct possibility to automatically integrate inventory updates (but maybe at the time of writing this is already possible). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would certainly recommend the use of openBOM if you are still juggling excel sheets and are having a hard time to keep up to date with product versions. OpenBOM enabled us to quickly create order from chaos, and to nail our hardware delivery process every time.

I would advise it if you are looking for an simple and reliable way to keep track of your BOMs and maintain in sync all over your company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our biggest issue before using OpenBOM was a lack in clarity on final BOM files. This leaded to bottlenecks in our production. We have now taken this bottleneck out and have certainty in our production, every time again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Engineer
What do you like best?

It is very easy to create BOMs after setting up catalogs and create subsystem BOMs from within the main BOM. The ability to also save custom templates is very useful.

The team at openBOM is very attentive and replies to every question or issue that arises. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet. So far I have used the program to create a complete vehicle BOM and it was flawless.

The one thing I can see as a problem in the future is not having an offline version where the Data base can be accessed while network connection is down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those without a database management tool or with one that doesn’t fit the company needs, openBOM offers a very affordable, reliable and smart way to maintain and construct a database. It allows engineering, accounting and purchasing to share a simple and easy to use and learn platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having an online database allows us to collaborate globally with manufacturers and also internally between engineering and purchasing on all R&D projects where the BOM is still being constructed and validated with the design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal QA Manager
What do you like best?

It has a very intuitive user interface and this helps my team in organizing the BOM at multi-level. I also liked the fact that Oleg has a keen year for our feedback. One of our main request was around versioning of the BOMs and association of different versions of the BOMs at multi-level. Happy to see this being addressed.

This tool has played quite a critical role in our startup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Versioning of BOM was a big paint point, happy to see it addressed now.

I will like to see a more polished dashboard, the dashboard can become too scattered. In our case we have a lot of BOMs show up in the dashboard, this can be filtered to the users need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helps us organise and control our BOMs. Save a lot time, money and effort in collaborating on the development of BOM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to generate a full-fields BOM in a database format from SolidWorks is very powerful and completely offsets the low price of this great software.

The immediate and clear support we get with this product is beyond compare in the industry (these folks must be up around the clock).

The clear and succinct tutorials are what I'd like to see from all software providers: way to set the bar OpenBOM! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only disagreeable things about this product have turned out to be related to my lack of navigational knowledge and were completely solved by rapid product support or evolution. Every BOM-related scenario we've come across for our small company has found a solution in OpenBOM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A very powerful tool for the price with outstanding documentation and support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Most of our inventory logistics have been eased using OpenBOM: Generate a BOM from a SolidWorks model, add vendor information, manufacturing-steps fields, storage location fields, and ordering/receipt-tracking fields. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Otomasyon Mühendisi
What do you like best?

Identify catalogs with certain main titles and then pull them to BOM lists.

While I am constantly writing the same product in Excel, I can pull all the information directly into my material list with the OpenBOM number thanks to OpenBOM.

You can also create and edit forms for ORDER and Purchase.

It has a simple structure, you can add any column type you want.

You can get very fast returns as communication, its solution-oriented structure makes your job easier. Learning material is too much, video blog etc.

scanning the product code, showing all the information practically and creating costs very quickly.

Adding visuals, adding links, removing as pdf and excel, etc. Many features provide convenience to the user.

Don't forget to add pictures and drawings while creating the catalog, OpenBOM is used better this way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We log in to your website through Turkey and we think the site is running slowly.

While the Purchase Form is being updated on the ORDER FORM, the Purchase Form is all updated, I wish the Purchase forms named by me would not change automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

By putting images in your materials, you can create more detailed lists and catalogs, you can save the same material from different vendors and pull it back to the bill of materials by giving a different catalog number. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

First, a regular bill of materials and project equipment, and then a cost calculation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OpenBOM is highly configurable: It allows for us to generate sub assemblies, sub modules, as well as our complete instrument build. With the linkage back to our CAD system (Solidworks), the engineering team's time is minimized, allowing for them to work on other tasks. We also manage our vendor lists & key items as part of the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While it's nice to have access to commonly used fields, at times I've found other entries showing up. It would be good to save these as custom for each customer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

OpenBOM looks to be a scalable system for small to medium sized companies. I will state I wish I had this at my previous company as it could have made things much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Configuration management & revision control! By having this single system, it's helped to avoid multiple people creating their stand-alone (excel) spreadsheets - a single system has streamlined our communication inside the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Représentant commercial pour la zone espagnole
What do you like best?

It seems to me a very focused solution to solve a specific problem, which brings great value to the user. The start-up service is fantastic and the treatment is very close. Great help to get started, many tutorials and facilities to get started. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet discovered anything that does not satisfy me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You have nothing to lose by trying it out and it will certainly meet your expectations if you are looking to organize the parts of a product to be manufactured. Absolutely recommended. If you are used to perform this type of task with Excel-type spreadsheets, you will be surprised by the quality of your work using this tool.

It is worth stopping to watch several videos and read several help articles to understand how it works and how best to use it before you start. Additionally, do some testing by creating parts of a catalog and some BOM. Once I understood, I was able to import the information I had in an Excel file with the data I needed to incorporate into the catalog and from there I started to sort my information and create BOMs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The management of the parts of a product to be manufactured. The creation of a database (catalog) so well oriented to solve this particular problem allows me to have my data in a way that will save me a lot of time and avoid errors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the ability to past images rather than having to navigate to the correct folder on my PC. It is also good to be able to edit the catalogue from the BOM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It seems there isn't any protection to prevent accidental changes to the catalogue, since these changes have global consequences I would like the ability to restrict editing to just the BOM properties and then flick a switch to allow access to the catalogue properties. Ideally I would like it to default to just BOM properties whenever a BOM is reopened. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing the material makeup of different products, most of which are bespoke. This is then used to (indirectly) drive purchasing and stock requisition. It also forms the historical record of what the makeup is of any particular project. This has replaced a system of a spreadsheet for each project with a catalogue built into each spreadsheet which limits the possibility of understanding the use of a item across multiple BOM's and doesn't allow catalogues that are tailored to a specific product. The ability of OpenBOM to add item pictures has also made it much easier to identify products, particularly during stock picking, which is especially useful for our own machined parts as the description tends to reflect the function of the part rather than the shape. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

CAD integrations are well done, QuickBooks export as a feature is great, basic inventory features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Catalog and BOM paradigms are confusing. I would like to have a validation step on BOM import to check column headers against existing characteristics. Smart cataloging. Every item that is imported is checked against existing BOMs, and inventory brought in should again have an editing mode. For example, suppose I am importing 5 BOMs that all use a common component and tracking inventory. In that case, the application should ask me to confirm if the inventory is in addition to existing inventory or not. I would like to have a threshold for inventory and links to Ocotopart. I am at the point where I may import first into Octopart BOM and then into OpenBOM. Low stock thresholds for inventory. Auto ordering would be an excellent paid add on for small businesses. A page scraping feature similar to Arena would be fantastic, or integrations with Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, McMaster, AvNet, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to manager multiple BOMs with lots of leverage compoenent and common sub-assemblies. Managing inventory for prototype and NPI builds. Would like to see salesforce and other ERP/MRP integration to support productions. Serial number generation would be a nice add on. We are still evaluating OpenBOM against Upchain and Arena. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Engineering Director
What do you like best?

The ease of getting components from CAD to BOM is great, the plugin for Fusion makes things so much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

UI is a little non-intuitive but with some time in the program, it becomes manageable. Being able to duplicate items and move them to another catalog gets a little confusing. The import function on the catalogs is a little buggy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take your time and do not hesitate to reach out to Oleg if you have any questions, they love to hear how it can be improved and make it better for its users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having BOMs that can be updated immediately. Being able to see pricing quickly from different suppliers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Since I discovered OpenBOM I accelerated my workflow and managed to almost double the efficiency of my process of production.

I design furniture in Fusion 360 and the BOM process was consuming a lot of time due to the lack of automated generation option in the app.

Now i can focus my time on designing and my project are one click away to BOM generation for creating offers and launching production.

Thank you guys, you did a wonderful job !

I really appreciate your work Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have an option to save my user and password in the add-on. I don't like that I need to login everyday.

Thanks ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save time, be professional, accelerate your production. Everything in one click thanks to OpenBOM Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fast Cutting Diagram with a predefine Excel Exported file.

Fast Offers for my clients

I earned a lot of time with OpenBOM Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that it is simple and easy to operate and it works well with Fusion360. I also like how it has multiple users that can access the BoM's with different levels of permission. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the assemblies and subassemblies don't export well. It's hard to see what parts make up what subassemblies. It would be nice to have a expandable tree to view all the parts of a complex assembly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have a solid and well-organized setup of CAD files to export, it will make life so much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a complex BoM of over 600 parts. OpenBOM helps us move from a complex assembly of Fusion360 CAD parts to a nice list that is easy to view and manipulate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UD
What do you like best?

I like the Solid works integration. I am able to make up a quick spare parts list that shows pictures and details much quicker than the process we had in the past. Our old process to get done what we are able to do with OpenBOM took much longer. I also like that the list is saved within OpenBOM so if I need to make updates and changes it does not take nearly as long. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does have issues with showing the correct picture when there are configurations in Solid works. I usually have to take a snip of the actual configuration and change out the picture. Sometimes larger projects take awhile to get the spare parts list populated. I also occasionally have to manually add in parts that are missed. It does offer the option to add in anything needed and include a picture which is nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I find OpenBOM to be an affordable option that could be the answer to the wasted time previously used for making BOMs. Everything is easily stored in the program and its easy to learn and configure for your needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using OpenBOM has been a huge time saver for making spare parts sections in manuals. I love that the quantity and a color picture are included with every part. I am able to have my spare parts section look consistent and organized. I am happy my list can be easily exported into a .PDF and added to the manual. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

When it works properly, OpenBOM makes importing BOMs into Netsuite simple and easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

After a couple of months of working with OpenBOM to work properly to import BOMs, it seems like we have finally worked out all of the bugs for single level BOMs. However, Multilevel is a different story.

OpenBOM is not set up for Multilevel BOMs right out of the box. We chose the simplest Multilevel BOM solution and several weeks of customization is needed for it to work properly. There should be different levels of complexity and the code ready to go immediately when a company chooses what level of complexity they require. I feel like the complexity and timeline was not communicated to us properly to know what to expect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Importing BOMs from Solidworks to Netsuite without having to manually type in all of the details. It makes it nice to automatically import BOMs including all of the properties that are associated with the parts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

1) Integrations with the common CAD software

2) Support for Production

3) Vendor based segregation of Purchase Orders

4) Easy to use interface

5) Features similar to Excel

6) Multi level BOMs provision

7) Great technical support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1) No support for Eagle versions before Autodesk acquired Eagle

2) No approval stages or provisions in Professional Team version

3) No possible way for the administrator to make changes in the BOM after it is released

4) No provision to download the whole data with a single click of button

5) Data is not encrypted for all versions while storing in AWS

6) No provision for inventory management or stores management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1) Being a Robotics company, we have different types of products. OpenBOM will help us in managing the BOM for all of these products and ensure that it is easy to scale them to production level.

2) It is helping in vendor base management

3) Creating a hierarchical structure for BOMs for all products

4) Setting up a process for Procurement at our organization

5) Setting up a process for Production at our organization Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

Nested BOMS, catalog based BOM building, the simplicity of it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some things get a bit confusing and work a little funny - an example being that a BOM can have a different name than the part it represents, or that changing revisions of a part is just a parameter column and doesnt really do much functionality wise. We'd love to use openbom as our one source of truth for documentation (attaching files for each rev for example) and this is difficult. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's an incredible upgrade for those using spreadsheet based BOMs and needing more functionality but not wanting to move to something super complex and cumbersome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Catalog based parts and boms that can be reused. Tracking multiple versions and builds at the same time.

This has been really helpful for these needs. We are able to create a catalog of our parts with all of the necessary information attached. I think more ability to attach documentation nicely to parts and specifically each revision would be nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OpenBOM errors quickly by the user. OpenBOM wil always alert me if there is a duplicated part number of a mistake was made. It will go so far to prompt me at what the corrected option should be. The team at OpenBOM is very helpful and replies to every question or issue that comes up and causes me trouble. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment. I have used the program to create a complete many custom job BOMS and it has proved to be very helpful and lets me finish the creation of my BOM quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a wonderful device to have everything run a little smoother in teams and jobs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The BOMs that are created all have same look and structure from job to job at my place of business. Everyone can create and view similar structured BOMs from job to job without any issues arising. No one on any of our teams get confused or feel the need to question a BOM anymore. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

New user friendly interfaces are easier to use and navigate.

Nearly every month a new requirement for our business comes up and I am able to accommodate that with OpenBOM as the functionality is already available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't say that I dislike much about OpenBOM.

I know that I still have not used 60% of its capability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a tool to build your bills of materials then look no further than OpenBOM. This tool has many powerful applications to help your business.

This tool allows you to build a comprehensive parts catalog to store all your raw component information which is accessible via your 3D CAD package.

Give it a serious look as it has many things available at a reasonable cost.

Support is outstanding. Any issues I have had (most are from lack of personal training) have been resolved very quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been able to link our CAD models with each part number.

Ability to add weight and HS Codes.

Part obsolescence and replacement reference.

The list goes on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OpenBOM is crazy fast and very intuitive. When you make changes anywhere in the site, they are propagated quickly. If you have multiple projects and need to keep things moving quickly between them, OpenBOM can be relied on for quick and easy BOM organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My team and I rely on Solidworks for CAD. We have used the OpenBOM plugin for Solidworks, but we have found it to be a little confusing and a bit dangerous. While the buttons/commands available to you are powerful and fast, it can be confusing how the SLDPRTs, SLDASMs, and SLDDRWs are linked to items in the OpenBOM world. Furthermore, the buttons for overwriting properties from Solidworks to OpenBOM or backwards could use a little check menu, because sometimes I only want to update one custom property, not all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing and managing a parts and assembly BOM for a developing product. Primary goal is updating the company with the latest BOM as we design quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Oleg Shilovitsky of OpenBOM

Please contact me via oleg @ openbom dot com to setup a meeting. Thank you! Oleg.

What do you like best?

The interface is pretty simple and it allows for a bill of materials to be created easily and efficiently. We were previously using Excel and it was very time consuming and did not have the features that OpenBOM does. The ability to import from Solidworks is also a huge benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The main thing that I dislike is having to add individual properties to an assembly that I exported into Solidworks. It would be great if there were a template that could apply all of the properties you want into an existing BOM. I also have to add properties to any new parts that I have created within the assembly since I initially added the properties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

OpenBOM is great for incorporating BOM's without adding too much unnecessary features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is much easier for us to track progress on our bills of materials and ensure that all of the parts have been ordered. It makes communication between myself and the purchasing team much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Design engineer
What do you like best?

Potentially a time saver, and definitely something I would investigate using for my own business. Integration with design software is a big plus. Although since my business is just one-person, I think there are teamwork and organization tools that I would not be likely to use in the near future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure exactly what the different service tiers get you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Looks like a worthwhile product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving time on organizing BOMs and ordering components. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developer
What do you like best?

I like how i have the option to look at it on the side bar. And that people who you collaberate don't have to buy an account and just need to make one to just to see and edit the bom. Really fast tech support. When they say oleg is not a bot he is not. Responed in 4 hours with constant back and forth after that, amazing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the option to not have bubble numbers when drawing it up Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems i was solving was manual data entry of materials and other things. This tool let me easily create a table with many options Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Constant updates and development, new integrations, etc. Support is also good - Oleg (one of founders) is personally checking customer impressions, asking for feedbacks, etc. (not an automated emails, but live communication) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Payment plans (although not a huge amount, compared to traditional eBOM tools, but there are open-source alternatives available)

No Integration into ERP of our choice

No integration with component marketplaces (as of the time when I've been evaluating the system)

Components database is somewhat poor / not intellectual - had to manually enter details for good 40% of components

Somewhat limited export options Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Works as an eBOM management SAAS solution - if you require some integrations, you need to try first, to see if it works for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Were trying to see, if it works as a BOM management SAAS, with integration into CRM. Maid advantage - rather simple interface, as opposed to opensource alternatives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner