Acorns Reviews & Product Details

Acorns Overview

What is Acorns?

Acorns is the first company to offer micro investing to the world. The proprietary financial engine allows customers to roundup spare change from everyday purchases and invest these sub-dollar amounts into a professionally managed portfolio of index funds. Simply connect any credit or debit card and a checking account, then spend money like you normally do to watch your portfolio grow with the market. It's easy to get started when you can invest any amount, any time with no commissions or minimums.

Acorns Details
Discussions
Acorns Community

Acorns
2012
Irvine, California
@acorns
Answer a few questions to help the Acorns community
Have you used Acorns before?

Acorns Reviews

Showing 29 Acorns reviews
Already have Acorns?
National Sales Specialist
What do you like best?

Easy, effortless investing. A clear interface makes it easy to track the progress of our investments and plan for the future. We've also seen a return on our investment that was beyond what I expected, indicating to me that the team behind it has some market savvy and knows how to switch things up to keep things in the black. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Seeing exactly where your money is invested is not easy to see. In the event we had to withdraw funds, the process is slow and not particularly easy, which is understandable in some cases but it seems unnecessarily complicated in others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for a low-effort, flexible way to get into investing at the exact level of risk you want, it's a very solid option. Take a look at the various similar outfits in this arena as well, since if you have more knowledge, time, and interest in the market, you may well see a higher rate of return. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm not a smart, well-informed investor, and Acorns made me comfortable jumping in at my own level of risk and cash input. It's also something we're able to do mostly in the background without any real time or effort on our end, which was the major hurdle in wading into investment. Despite a volatile market, I've watched our investments increase in value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Creative Director
What do you like best?

Acorns is an easy to understand micro-investing app that transforms your spare change into financial opportunities. The app also teaches people more about how to make saving and investing decisions to create a sustainable financial plan.

Each user has the option of creating a spending account and an investment portfolio that is tailored for their level of experience and risks they are comfortable with. Likewise, everyone can also create several accounts based on what investment goals they want to work toward from IRAs, investment accounts for children, or for general investing. The option to make recurring deposits into your accounts also builds positive saving habits.

Having access to many tools from one location really helps everyday people take an active role in money management. What I also love about Acorns is the real-time tracking of the market gains and the returns that your investments will have in the future, which is quite rewarding, to say the least. Acorns also put the power of investing in your hands like never before by allowing companies to invest in you when you purchase their products. All in all, Acorns is a brilliant tool that teaches people how to be smart with their money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Limited Returns from ETFs/ micro-investments means that those looking to make big bucks for their investments and retirement might look elsewhere.

Change round-ups are somewhat limited

Small fee Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For the more experienced users or those seeking a more profitable IRA consider if Acorns is the best tool to reach your goals given the small fee for use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Positive money management

Learning to invest Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Acorns rounds up your daily purchases and invests them in a portfolio based on your needs. It's a simple and easy service. You can link your bank account and they will take care of the rest for you. They also allow you to invest additional dollars by referring members and shopping at their preferred vendor locations. They also offer multiple 'balances' one for investing in the future, one for investing in retirement and new feature to invest in the future of your child. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish Acorns gave you more notifications. Unless I log into the app, I have no idea what the status of my account is. Periodic notifications of account balances or changes would be useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you're looking to make easy investments, sign up for acorns. set up round ups and regular autopay contributions to see the greatest results from your account. if you enjoy the service, recommend it to your friends and use the referral to gain extra credit on your account. keep an eye on their "found money" vendors as they will help contribute to your investments as well. Set up a future account and I also recommend setting up a retirement account as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Besides a 401K account, I had no investments. Acorns makes it easy to invest in the stock market without having to be an expert or do a ton of research. They make the hardest parts easier by taking all of the hassle and guess work out of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

By using my spare change through round-ups, saving and investing is painless, effortless, a breeze. I have money now in a savings account and a retirement account that otherwise would have been empty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

With the "Earn Found Money" feature, when I make a purchase at Walgreens, for example, a % of that purchase gets deposited to my Acorns account.

Using an extension, this works well enough on the Chrome browser. The extension pops in right away when I go to walgreens.com

But when I order an uber through the app on my phone, there's no such integration as far as I know. Assuming I remember, linking the uber ride to my Acorns account is quite the burden. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I"m saving money I'd have never saved.

I'm building a retirement account that otherwise would have not existed.

I'm investing in EFTs that was not possible before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This app allows the average person to starting investing on a daily basis without needing a large amount of cash on hand. Another bonus is that the fees are very low! Also having the ability to do everything from either your smartphone or home computer makes it very easy to manage. I tend to do things on the go so for me the APP is very useful and makes the whole process simple. By rounding up purchases as a way of investing, it allows the user to slowly build up their portfolio on a daily basis. This method is very intuitive because by using taking small amounts at a time the user doesn't even tend to notice. Then after a while you have a pretty sizable portfolio, which grows on a daily basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any complaints or dislikes at this time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It a great app for anyone looking to get started with investing that isn't sure where to begin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to invest on a daily basis without even thinking about it. I tend to save more when it is small amounts each day where I don't notice it leaving my account as much as a large bulk investment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the ease of Acorns. Go about your day to day life and spending and check in on the app once and month and you'll be surprised how much you've saved. I also set recurring investments twice a month to grow the account even further. It makes it fun to save. I've gotten +6.3% this year alone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all. Really easy and fun to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the "aggressive" portfolio option. Why not? Also, don't just rely on round-ups (spare change investing). I use recurring investments so the account grows quicker. Why would you keep money in your savings when it can grow so much more in your Acrons account. I'm not that financially savvy and I love this app and for a dollar a month its worth it. All time interest is 3.7% and this past year is about 6.3%. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving that much more every month without having to think about it. I also like to put more money in because it has a way better interest rate then if I were to put money in savings. 6.3% interest this past year alone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This is an easy way to add an additional investment option to your portfolio without having to think about anything or even really notice it is happening. I use the round-up feature so it automatically invests for me based on my spending habits. I also have a set amount that goes in each month to help grow it a little faster. Like I said it's super simple and I recommend it for anyone that is looking to do some passive investing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As with any investment, the numbers may not look like what you want when you look. That said I really have no issues with the app and really do recommend it to anyone looking to do an easy investment option. Great for first-timers that don't know much about the market as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creating an additional investment stream that I forget about and don't feel like I have to watch 24/7/365 to make sure my own choices are still making sense. It's super easy to use and the interface is very understandable for a beginner or someone who really knows what they are doing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is simple and easy to use, they have a grow your knowledge section with articles and tips that is particularly helpful for first time investors. I also like how easy it is to setup recurring investments, link your card for round ups and I was even able to quickly pause my investments when I went thru some temporary coronavirus related financial hardships. Reactivating my recurring investments and roundups was also very easy to do. Best part is earning FOUND MONEY by spending with acorns partners who reinvest a percentage of the money you spend. its free money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't see past performance for my Acorns later account, after the latest update I can't see my Invest and Later account performance on the same screen which is kind of annoying to have to navigate to a separate page to see what is going on with my other account. I wish I could see all my money along with past performance, in one single screen or dashboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to setup, give it a shot. Earn found money with daily purchases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started using Acorns a few years ago in my early 20's as a way to dip my toe into investing and learn more about it. I have since gotten other investment accounts, both thru work in the form of a 401K and thru other financial services and high yielding savings accounts and CDs but I still use Acorns for what I call loose change investment. I do roundups and a small contribution and though the bulk of my investing portfolio is not in Acorns, I like having it since its so easy to access it on my phone and fairly easy to withdraw the money in case I need some quick cash for emergencies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

It's super easy to use, I used it as a virtual savings account basically before the pandemic.

I think Acorns was definitely not wanting to destabilize the market, so they told everyone to "keep calm" and not divest. I withdrew in early March before everything crashed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an option to select ethical/sustainable investment w more transparency with where my money is going and who it benefits. It would be nice to have different tiers with guaranteed levels of returns based on sustainability, and our choice. After I took my money out of Acorns, I put it all in a savings account with Barclays. Once Barclays dropped their APY from 1.6 to 1 percent, I took half of it out. I'm investing half with my local community invest fund, where they allow us to choose a guaranteed 0 to 3% return to be paid every year, with funds released in total at end of age 3. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Back when I used it, it was an easy way to invest. I had upwards $12k in the account and enjoyed checking it regularly and watching my account grow. Even though there were some dips, pre-pandemic I was at ~4-6%. I think it was a really solid choice for me as a student. I'm not sure if I'll continue using the product later though. Depending on whether the cost per month changes, I'll see. I thought it was really nice that Acorns offered instant transfer to the bank account and didn't lock me into any contract. however, the flexibility of it also meant a higher risk. I think I got about ~$700 out of the two-three years that I used it as my primary savings account source. There's a good trajectory of growth, and I like that it helped project where I was going to go with my money in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Intelligence Specialist
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

The best feature is the automated check card roll-up investments! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would be very hard pressed to come up with something about their services that I do not like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you've been on the fence with how to invest your personal money into the stock market, this is a very easy and intuitive way to do it that will immediately make sense. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've always struggled with trying to make financial investments into the stock market with my money after it has made it into my personal banking accounts. Acorns has completely streamlined the process in how they do automatic roll-ups whenever you use a debit card, then lumping $5 payments into the market. Every time I use my card, the change needed to round up to the next whole dollar amount is just tallied up until it equals $5 and then the money automatically transfers from my checking account into my Acorns investment account to be dispersed as I set up - which was also INCREDIBLY easy.

And since using their platform, they've also expanded their services. They now include partnership investments, retirement savings accounts, and my new favorite - a full checking account service. Not only is it the absolute best check card in my wallet (look, feel, weight, materials, etc), but it's all linked seamlessly with the investment account and they even reimburse ATM withdrawal fees every month!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trauma Nurse
What do you like best?

I am able to “set and forget” my investments. I am new to the investment world and needed help figuring out what to do Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The returns aren’t as high compared to “do it yourself” investment services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! It’s super simple! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to invest based on my every day purchases and also set recurring investments Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

BIM Specialist & Mechanical Designer
What do you like best?

i love how easy is to set up & how intuitive the software is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

i dislike the unavailability to buy specific shares. This app will be the best if also have the option like robinhood does. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

i am saving money for later on, and its getting momentum. I dont feel like i am investing i love the 5 dollars per week. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Marketing Director
Financial Services
What do you like best?

Acorns allows me to create dollars with my left over coins. I used to always waste my change and spend it on depreciating assets. Now I create wealth with what I treated as trash previously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not sure when I hit my savings goals. There needs to be a monetary goal to strive for so that we're not aimlessly saving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give a higher interest rate potential. Have the ability to pick a wider array of stocks to generate growth. Diversification is what everyone wants. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Savings instead of blowing money. There are so many distractions from building wealth. It's great to be a part of the solution to defeating consumerism. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that I don’t have to do a lot of the work. For example, I can see in the app that linking my bank account enables an easy transfer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that I don’t see much of a saving accumulated over time. Altogether, my husband and I decided to cancel our account because we didn’t feel like it was worth it. That was a personal issue though and not the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have more money to invest otherwise it’s not really worth using. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We enjoyed the hassle free cancellation as well as the hands free system it incorporated to invest. I believe with a constant flow of surplus money to invest, it is worth utilizing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Associate
What do you like best?

The interface is very easy to use. I can easily find my portfolio, as well as the other options available for investing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think it can be a bit hard to find articles, etc. on the benefits of the different options that aren't written by Acorns. I think they should have more resources than the ones they have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Acorns has been helpful to keep my investments on track. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Specialist/Lifestyles Consultant
What do you like best?

I really enjoyed the fact that Acorn is user-friendly. My niece actually told me about it, and I was able to create an account and jump right in- I think virtually anyone can understand what they are doing, which is awesome when investing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I really didn’t have any dislikes. I believe the app serves it’s purpose well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I realized how important investing is to our economy. I also have benefited financially as well. It is a great feeling to see your money get a return. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

The rounding feature keeps you investing and in small enough increments that one doesn't notice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of ads lately suggesting their new child investment tool and it is annoying Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is quick and easy to use and provides good value for the future. I would completely recommend. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Investing is done with small bits over time and Acorns helps me do this in a small and consistent way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

You literally do not have to think about it once it’s set up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like more control over the specific portfolios, but I understand that this is part of what makes it very uncomplicated for the novice investor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None at all. Benefits: without even thinking about it, this spare change and modest recurring investment each month has grown into a few thousand dollars in just a couple of years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

The app is user-friendly. It's great for beginning investors seeking a low barrier entry into investing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything that I strongly disliked. As found in most financial tools, Acorn suggests related products, such as insurance, to its investors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. It's easy and rewarding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am looking for a tool to help older teens learn how to invest and expand their financial knowledge. The Acorn app does this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Every time i swipe my card, it rounds up the excess change to the nearest dollar. I can invest without thinking about it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I’m not making much money now, but that could be user error Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’m solving an easy way to put money aside to invest. I don’t even have to think about it, as it rounds up pennies to the nearest dollar and creates a portfolio for it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

I have a hard time saving and unfamiliar with the stock market, this allows me to do both. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s hard to tell who you’re investing with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best used for those with limited funds and minimal stock market insight. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving money which has always been a struggle. Acorns makes it easy to be a beginner investor with limited funds. The benefit of Acorns is the seamless transactions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

I like that I am able to save for my future without thinking about it much. My extra money is rounded to the nearest dollar and invested into my acorns app on my behalf Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dont like there is a $1 monthly fee for this account . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving the problem of investing my extra money effortlessly without going about it in traditional way. I am able to aggressively invest extra money easily! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

I love that I can keep track of everything from the palm of my hands. I Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are moments where things lag & gli Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will take a while to get used to it but it's an investment to you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I realized there's the acorn spend, No overdraft, or fees. I love the savings on it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Acorns app is very user-friendly and easy to navigate. The investment tool that shows you our potential long-term earnings is great, you can play around with different figures to see hypothetical projections for different years at different ages. You also have 5 different portfolio options ranging from conservative to aggressive. Each portfolio shows a pie-chart breakdown of what percentage of your money is being invested in each ETF. From there, for example, you can click on "Small Company Stocks 20%" and see "Featured Holdings" which lists 6 of the major small companies in that breakdown. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there isn't a more aggressive portfolio option where you can have a higher percentage being invested in International Large Company Stocks. It caps out at 20%. I would also like some sort of a notification when my Total Gain/Loss drops over a certain percentage, whatever that set percentage may be. The ability to customize notifications after a certain percentage drop would be very helpful so that I don't have to log in every day and check it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving no problems through Acorns. I have realized the benefits of keeping this money in an investment account where I am earning money rather than keeping it in a savings account in which I earn nothing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.