Critical Mention

3.9

Critical Mention allows users to search global TV, radio, online news and social media, watch video, edit and internally share coverage, receive real-time email alerts, build reports, and analyze coverage through word clouds and graphs.

Work for Critical Mention?

Learning about Critical Mention?

Critical Mention Reviews

Ask Critical Mention a Question
Showing 105 Critical Mention reviews
Amanda E.

"How Critical Mention is a Lifesaver"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy utilizing Critical Mention, as it tremendously helps me locate any TV and/or radio clips I need to monitor for. The search tab is very easy-to-use and allows me the ability to customize the settings in order to narrow down my search. I really enjoy the wordplay setting in order to trim the clip I need to present to my team and my client. By adding a clip to a report and being able to download it, Critical Mention helps me stay organized.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I have been happy using Critical Mention. However, the one thing I dislike about Critical Mention is how it is limited to only certain radio programs. When I was trying to monitor for a PSA, I noticed there were certain radio stations and programs which wouldn't be tracked by Critical Mention.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure when you trim a clip in wordplay it is exactly the way you want it before saving it

Critical Mention has allowed me the ability to expand my media monitoring for a majority of my clients. As a public relations professional, media monitoring is essential and with using Critical Mention I am able to efficiently conduct media monitoring on a weekly basis.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Critical Mention
Rich W.

"Critical Mention makes my job easier"

What do you like best?

We receive great service. Whatever the need, our Critical Mention representative is willing to help - and sometimes he reaches out, unsolicited, to see what we need. Critical Mention makes it easy to compile and forward reports - and there aren't extra costs for every little thing we want to do. And in my experience, Critical Mention does the most thorough job of finding the media clips we've earned.

What do you dislike?

There are a off-and-on technical issues when adding clips to a report, but those are sporadic and easy to work around.

Critical mention saves me time. It's easy to compile reports and get them in the hands of those who need to see results.

What Media Monitoring solution do you use?

Austin P.

"The Goodness that is provided."

What do you like best?

I am a huge advocate of a product when the user interface is very simple and easy to use. This is always important to me because I often have to learn how to use software and then teach my team how to use it as well. This is a very simple task with critical mention.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the amount of time it took my team and I to set this product up. It seemed needlessly difficult and was time consuming. We are all pretty good on computers and with technology but this product just did not seem to be friendly when it comes to set up time.

We use Critical Mention on an older computer that is hooked up to a big screen tv so that we can always see what is going on and it makes it easy for all members in the office to see if we have a problem that is has popped up. In which case we can fix it very quickly, hopefully before to many customers/clients notice that there is an issue.

Devyn M.

"The best way to track and clip broadcast segments"

What do you like best?

The ability to tailor and quickly share broadcast clips is hugely helpful for media tracking and monitoring.

What do you dislike?

While decent, the transcripting feature is somewhat unreliable so it makes tracking mentions difficult if you are not certain of the specific outlet and segment you're looking for

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to put together robust boolean queries for monitoring purposes to ensure that you're capturing all possible mentions of your product/client/conversation of interest, that way the tracking mechanism is less likely to miss mentions in the transcript.

We often track media mentions and compile reports for clients, Critical Mention allows for us to search and track, include rough transcripts and send tailored video clips for easy review.

Esther W.

"This Product Requires More Improvement "

What do you like best?

Critical mention works perfectly for smaller businesses and this gives them a chance to grow.

Secondly, the terms and conditions for the item are fairly good and simple to understand.

Lastly, the vendor keeps the users always posted and updated on their new services.

What do you dislike?

This application lacks all the capabilities that a corporation needs to monitor their media.

For instance, it fails to integrate with major social networks.

Therefore, more updates should be installed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For Effective media monitoring, go for that application that is excellent and functional.

Spend enough time considering the best solution.

Media monitoring and analysis was the purpose of our company having this item.

Eventually, the software partially helped us, but we found it still not appropriate for big companies.

Isaac P.

"Fantastic reporting and review"

What do you like best?

Being able to track our social media and community impact from a single menu has been game-changing. Where it used to take days to respond to our community trends we can now respond immediately and with precision heading off potential PR issues before they have a chance to manifest in a destructive way.

What do you dislike?

Critical mention is extreemly comprehensive if anything it has an embarisment of riches and overloads the user with potentila content and leads. The deluge can be somewhat destracting at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the trial before committing to the service.

Managing our studios game launches prior to using Critical was a mindbending mess of account hopping and constant stress. The ability to rapidly search by class of insight is absolutely critical and has massively streamlined our outreach and ad targeting.

Jordan D.

"Media monitoring with Critical Mention"

What do you like best?

I liked how easy it is to monitor mentions of your company. In addition, I find it to be easy to find specific people I am looking for. I also like how I can search global TV, Radio, Online News, and social media in real time all on one platform.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how-how the platform displays analytics. I think it can be made easier for people who are not very good quantitatively.

Really, I am trying to find when the brands I represent are mentioned in the news, across all sorts of platforms. I have realized a few benefits, mainly through Critical Mention's ability to aggregate news.

Jerry K.

"Critical you know your tracking system."

What do you like best?

It provides a good tool to monitor media. It does a good job and the editing tool can be helpful. Used their system for nearly ten years. It did the job. Staff is polite and responsive.For broadcast TV it provides the best monitoring tool on the market.

What do you dislike?

Searches can miss a lot when closed captioning misspells words or their system is down. No notification system to tell you this for broadcast. Lost a client over this. Does not filter duplicate hits. System has gotten better but still could use some work on the user interface. Must backup you searches and download your clips or they will be lost by the system by the end of the year. Pricing is not flexible enough for small business needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest shopping around a bit before purchasing any software solution. Make sure what you is affordable and gets you the services you require.

Now a former customer. Moved onto using more affordable tracking software services.

Michelle M.

"Fast, Simple, Current - Great Media Tool"

What do you like best?

The features that we appreciate the most are the ability to quickly find relevant video, edit it to what we need, and have it ready to go in a brief time. Also, the ability to set up searches for topics we cover frequently and receive updates when matches are available saves us time and delivers content we might miss.

What do you dislike?

There are often mistakes in the transcripts that lead to missing videos when searching. Videos are available for a pretty short window - a couple of . months - so we have to either save them often or lose access to them.

CM does a good job in general monitoring for mentions and allows us to grab/clip them quickly.

"Great for the tools, not for the reports"

What do you like best?

The tv and radio monitoring wordplay feature is extremely useful and allows us to zero in on the content that we really need with complete accuracy. And usually the keywords in the transcriptions are accurate enough for us to find exactly what we are looking for. Searches are easy to conduct and refine, and the search interface is easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The automatically formatted reports are not very user friendly and they are hard to edit, and they are only downloadable in .pdf format. That means that for radio mentions, which are usually more rough transcriptions, you can't edit the text at all even though the transcription is jumbled and incorrect. We usually end up having to put together our own formatted reports in the end, which is extremely time consuming.

We are saving plenty of time not having to individually monitor television stations, especially on local levels.

UA
User in Airlines/Aviation

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

I love how Critcial Mention lets me easily clip news media down to the exact moment I need. I can get very precise with my timing and the app lets me do that. The trimming tool is very easy to use and reminds me of any other video editing software. CM has a lot of channels that other softwares do not! I can really narrow down my search which makes it easy to find something.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could merge clips together within the app. Sometimes the beginning and end of the clip are what I need and not the middle. Instead of clipping 2 separate clips, I wish I could make it 1 and combine the two together without the middle section. Also, sometimes I KNOW a clip exists that mentions a specific phrase and CM doesn't pull it up. I'll have to search for it on a minute basis to find it. I which the search picked up terms better.

We are solving the problem of needing to send clips of client mentions on the news or radio and being able to share with team and client.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Never miss a media clip for a client"

What do you like best?

I get daily emails with the most recent, TV & radio clips, categorized into folders for each client, based on search terms that I set. The "Wordplay" feature for clipping TV & radio segments is so incredibly easy to use and the fact that it works in tandem with the transcription of the radio or TV interview makes it even easier.

What do you dislike?

I wish the platform was able to pick up print clips and that it would be able to offer circulation/reach and publicity value for radio clips.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use Google news to find print clips for your clients since the platform does not pick up print clips.

We do all of our media reporting for our clients with this platform. It helps us make sure that we don't miss any clips, which is especially helpful for national clients and from there, we are able to build our media reports.

"Critical Mention "

What do you like best?

Easy to use and search for videos within the database. Gives you the exact time each segment was played and also the date, which makes it easily accessible. Can also save videos in a specific category which makes it easier to save videos according to a specific group. Clips are also then saved within the specific time frame you want and don't include the information that has been cut from the clip.

What do you dislike?

Videos split into various time frames for one segment, making it harder to search for a specific clip. Sometimes search bar doesn't find the related topics your searching for which makes it a little harder to dig for content. Can't share the video lists within your network, only those with access to the drive can go in and add and remove videos.

Using it gather media clips and share them within the network. Also helpful in showing clients how much has been published about them in their recent products/events/spokespersons. Video content is very clear and not fogging or static making it easy to see and understand what is on the clip.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Service to track broadcast media coverage"

What do you like best?

I used Critical Mention at two different public relations firms over five years to track broadcast coverage for a large variety of clients. I received daily reports of clients media coverage and used it to track both positive and negative coverage. I appreciated receiving the daily reports and found the functionality to be fairly easy to use, but the process of actually clipping coverage could be difficult. Their support teams were typically fairly quick to get back in touch when I had an issue, and if I needed them to just create a clip or full report for me, I usually asked and had no issue having them do so.

What do you dislike?

I found the functionality to clip coverage somewhat difficult, although I've used IQmedia and found that it wasn't much better. Otherwise I found that the service mostly did what I needed it to do. My company switched to IQmedia after a couple of years due to the fact that Critical Mention clips do not stay live and are deleted after 30 or 90 days, which made it difficult to track client coverage over year spans.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use their support team as they can really help! If you're getting frustrated with their functionality, just ask for help!

In public relations, our main priority was securing and tracking media coverage for clients, including print, online, and broadcast. Using Critical Mention ensured we found the broadcast coverage that we secured, and monitored for negative stories.

UN
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great Program for Broadcast Monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to clip up your own clips, and their customer service is good for whenever their are any problems. There are unlimited search term, and you can set differing alerts for each term, either as it happens, daily, or weekly.

What do you dislike?

Closed captioning sometimes goes down, and they do not have a good enough system to let you know that there were problems, so sometimes clips get missed. There should be an email or banner notification that lets you know about problems with the closed captioning service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to negotiate how many downloads come with your package. It is important, as some plans charge per download, but you can arrange a set number to come with your contract if it is important for you to have copies not just in the portal.

This program is used for broadcast monitoring. Using it helps to determine when the client is mentioned on TV and radio programs. There is also a great search function that lets you search by time, keyword, channel, and market.

Megan T.

"Many Pros, One Con"

What do you like best?

The customer service has been great when I've had issues. The alerts for media hits come quickly and with lots of analytics. My clients are impressed with the real time understanding of coverage. The reports are easy to understand and offer ad equivalency value.

What do you dislike?

I did not know when I signed up about the limited radio monitoring. I gain a lot of radio interviews for clients and I was never able to get these for them to review. I wonder now about what I might be missing.

I couldn't afford to hire an employee to actively search for media hits or to compile reports. This software was a cheap way to save time and still provide evidence of results for clients.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good platform for broadcast and radio monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like the clip editor feature. It is pretty easy to use and it allows you to only clip the portion of a broadcast you want, which clients appreciate.

What do you dislike?

Only being able to go back 60 days has it's limitations. The report and search functionalities can also be a little tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Critical Mention serves a great purpose in our agency, and while we don't use it all the time, it's really valued when we need it. The platform also has a daily email news alert feature, which is really helpful when you're monitoring for important news.

Media monitoring. When a client has a placement, particularly broadcast or radio, we are able to easily find it and prepare a report to share with them. We don't use it as much for online clips as it doesn't seem necessary.

AM
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Critical Mention Makes Broadcast Clipping EASY"

What do you like best?

What I like best about CM, is when you are searching for broadcast clips, you can easily clip the portion needed, and save it to a specific folder where the link you cut can be accessed there.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I really dislike about this platform. It's super easy and helpful, when used.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest that if you have an abundance of clients that land broadcast and radio clips (it does print/online too, if needed), I would 100% recommend getting this software. It really makes a PR professionals job so easy when obtaining radio and broadcast clips, especially when you can customize them

The business problem that I'm solving is the ability to have the broadcast (and radio) coverage to my client in real time. I realized that the benefit of this, is that you're able to have access to a clip, in real time, or even from the past, if needed.

Christina A.

"Critical Mention Provides Critical Coverage"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention is a comprehensive platform that monitors for client coverage online, on social media and on radio and television. Previously, I've had to use multiple monitoring services to find coverage for online hits, print mentions and broadcast, so it was a lot to keep track of. Critical Mention makes it easy to keep track of all types of coverage and offers analytics that can be built into reports to show value. Critical Mention also makes it easy to track social media mentions, which is extremely valuable in today's PR market.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are duplicate pieces of coverage which can be time consuming to sort through.

Critical Mention saves valuable time by tracking comprehensive client coverage. Otherwise, I would need to sort through hundreds of websites, magazines and newspapers. I can also easily create reports that I can share with clients. The real-time alerts ensure I don't miss any coverage and that I'll see it before the client does.

Mike S.

"Good product, always can be better"

What do you like best?

The product itself is fairly simple to use and you receive the email with the clip very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to find a clip because of the misspellings in the actual write-up of the segment. Also, links to videos do not last that long nor can you search more than 30 days back. There are also no audience numbers for radio clips.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you get a decent training in the program to utilize all the features and to learn how to use different search terms to find the exact clip you are looking for. Sometimes, it even helps to spell something wrong if there is a popular misspelling of the word.

I am able to find clips for my clients and send them along for the client to use for internal purposes.

Clementine N.

"An excellent and critical media monitoring tool"

What do you like best?

I like critical mention because it provides well organized reports about media broadcasts concerning our organization. The organization of reports greatly saves time. Critical comment is also convenient as it provides the opportunity to play back missed broadcasts. The software provides exemplary tracking for media productions.

What do you dislike?

The lack of a good contact manager for email contacts makes the software hard to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Critical mention is the ultimate tool to satisfy PR needs for the organization.

Critical mention is aiding the organization to have good public relations approach.

Britny K.

"Good experience with Critical Mention"

What do you like best?

This is one of the only resources out there for me to find broadcast and radio coverage I've secured for my clients.

What do you dislike?

The interface IS NOT user-friendly. Issues with searching. Issues with pieces of coverage not showing up. Issues with stations not being included in the database. Issues with editing wordplay - literally requiring me to restart my computer or download a completely different web browser.

Reporting/ROI for my clients. Clients love to see all pieces of coverage.

Greta S.

"Gamechanger for TV Reporting"

What do you like best?

My firm has been pleasantly surprised by the impact this reporting tool has had on our client coverage reporting. There is so much value in the analytics, video, etc. that it provides.

What do you dislike?

Searching can be difficult at times given the Closed Captioning spelling errors, etc.

We previously weren't able to truly track and align numbers to TV and radio coverage for our clients. This tool has given us a great opportunity to share ROI of our work.

Scott T.

"Media monitoring that provides what I need"

What do you like best?

Critical mention put together a package that meets the needs of my organization. We are a regulated monopoly, so I don't need comparisons with competitors or many of the functions that another organization might.

What do you dislike?

Keyword search hits only stay in the system for 60 days, so you have to save your results at least every other month if you're going to do a year-end wrap up like I do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Each organization has its own needs when it comes to media monitoring. Understand what your needs are, how you want to use the product, who will be using it and how much time she/he/they will have to devote to the work. The picture you see from that assessment will be the best guide to finding the right software for your organization.

I use this for maintaining situational awareness of coverage and to show our executives the value that media relations brings to the organization. Using this tool, I can demonstrate how many times broadcast media outlets aired a story about our organization, the tone of that coverage (positive, negative or neutral) and the PR value of that coverage. I've shown up to $2.5 million worth of coverage in a year, which demonstrates the importance of the work I do.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"A crucial, but not particularly user-friendly tool"

What do you like best?

I have never come across a platform that has the access and the catalog that Critical Mention has for broadcast coverage of any kind. The custom clipping feature and unique links to coverage are also very helpful for compiling and distributing media clips.

What do you dislike?

The times and labels of the broadcast clips are often deceiving or incorrect. The script is often jibberish, leading to searching by keyword being very difficult at times particularly if your search terms are names. The billing for searching for clips and compiling reports is also cumbersome, each new client project requires a new billing code.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Critical mention will yield few insights or analytics and it's not always easy to search for clips. That being said, it is a critically important tool in my opinion because I've found no other do that is as effective and reliable as CM when it comes to capturing and logging coverage from station across the country.

For many clients we monitor local broadcast news for coverage and measurement purposes. Critical Mention allows us to capture broadcast clips that other news monitoring sites often do not catch.

Emma L.

"Easy media clipping "

What do you like best?

Real-time notifications across all broadcast coverage, also quick and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are issues with videos loading/playing back.

I love that I get instant notifications for client mentions in the media. It’s quick and easy to clip the coverage and send in the same day to my client so we stay super relevant.

Brittany K.

"Critical For Media Monitoring"

What do you like best?

Media monitoring technology

Searching for broadcast or radio clips

Searching for web aritcles

Searching by keywords or phrases

Analytics

Compiling all clips into one comprehensive report

Ability to edit broadcast clips

What do you dislike?

I don't really have any dislikes to the program.

Critical Mention's monitoring, search, editing, and compiling functions are crucial to anyone in public relations. I am very pleased by the service and have used it in multiple different roles and different companies throughout my career. Definitely recommend to anyone in public relations.

"Track earned media and your business reputation"

What do you like best?

Critical mention makes it easy for us to watch how our company is being discussed in the news. It's critical (ha!) we understand what's been reported, and this allows us to run a quick daily search.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were easier to filter out extraneous results, but that could be as much user error as anything.

We need to know if a negative news report has gone out so we can quickly be prepared to respond.

stacey m.

"critical mention works well"

What do you like best?

the ability to find any clip on television with ease and to shorten it to the important parts to send to clients

What do you dislike?

sometimes it’s difficult to find obscure clips. for example, if your client has a foreign name, you have to enter it phonetically in various ways to find it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

definitely worth the price

surprising clients with clips and being able to deliver what we promised at the initial proposal

Dan F.

"Social Media Manager"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention did a good job of capturing media and turning it into a link to share digitally, especially via email.

What do you dislike?

I used Critical Mention around 2009 so the software was somewhat limiting. It was able to do its job but it wasn't robust at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It was a great platform that I enjoyed using. I would use it again.

I was capturing daily media mentions for my organization.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Sufficient Monitoring Service "

What do you like best?

Critical Mention allows you to fully customize your terms for each of your individual searches (mine are according to the brands I represent). They can be changed at any time for changing campaigns, etc. It also allows you to monitor television and online mentions. You can also monitor specific times of television broadcast, without needing a mention.

What do you dislike?

The service isn't perfect; it doesn't pick everything up and I find myself needing to search manually for broadcast mentions. It often doesn't find every online mention and I'll need to manually monitor.

It helps to monitor all pick-up for my client. My team has found that we are able to find placements/mentions from the brand without having to manually search most times. It's timesaving in that aspect, as it can pull all of the broadcast clips and we can create a report for the coverage.

Jess M.

"Essential tool for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention makes it super easy to monitor keywords and find client coverage across the Internet's news sites, social media platforms, radio and television. Even in an age of DVR, it's nearly impossible for a PR professional to capture all of a client's broadcast mentions. Critical Mention keeps me updated on these pieces of coverage and provides sophisticated analytics that can be built into reports and shared with team members and clients. I think it's a lot more user friendly than TV Eyes, which I've also used, and it's more comprehensive because it can also track online and social media conversations.

What do you dislike?

Clips are sometimes duplicated, but this is typical of other monitoring services as well. Also, for TV, there are a lot of typos in the transcripts. Again, I've found this same issue with TV Eyes monitoring service.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do a demo with Critical Mention and TV Eyes (as well as other similar services). I think you'll find that Critical Mention beats out its competitors by a mile.

With Critical Mention, I'm saving time and reducing the effort that goes into tracking client coverage and building reports to demonstrate the value of this coverage. Critical Mention makes sure that I'm not missing any key pieces of coverage. I can get real-time alerts, search within Critical Mention, view data on each hit and more.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Critical Mention Helps Me Find All my Clips! "

What do you like best?

The search option in Critical Mention makes finding any clips super easy. I like the word play that accompanies many clips and makes finding what I am looking for super easy.

What do you dislike?

The radio clips could use some beefing up. I feel like a lot is missing. Also the transcript could be a little bit more accurate and closer to the time when the words were actually said.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use critical mention and send your clients the direct link! This program makes finding broadcast clips so easy!

This software helps me find segments where clients are featured so easily. It updates in real time so they are readily available!

Cassity M.

"I loved my experience with Critical Mention!"

What do you like best?

I liked how the program worked as well as how the system was designed. It was relatively user friendly for someone like me who isn't always that great at new software.

What do you dislike?

I can't really say that I disliked much of anything about Critical Mention, thankfully.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your company is looking for quality and effective software that is pretty user friendly, then I would highly suggest Critical Mention!

It provided us with the opportunity to really see some areas we need improvement and work on those areas specifically to better help those in which we market to.

Kate S.

"Critical Mention is helpful for finding broadcast coverage."

What do you like best?

I like how we can edit the clips to show our clients only the parts of the clip that they are interested in without having to show the entire TV segment.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult to find certain clips due to closed captioning words being different spelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is helpful to type in several different ways to spell a word you're looking for due to closed captioning.

Critical Mention is very helpful in finding broadcast media clips for clients who have appeared on TV.

UN
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Good software for monitoring broadcast news and radio"

What do you like best?

The ability to pull both radio and TV clips and download them or email them to internal audiences for viewing. This software is best for organizations that generic a large amount of local news clips: both TV and radio; or syndicated news and want to be able to track the output and view/hear the content.

What do you dislike?

Pulling clips could sometimes be dependent on how well and accurately the captioning service captured your organization or speaker's name.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The support service was always very responsive. I had them help me to narrow down my keywords and they were also able to problem solve when there were issues with locating a clip if the captioning didn't pick it up. If you know what outlet and generally what hour(s) your piece aired they'll be able to help you track it down.

Better able to monitor and find media clips.

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

I LOVE how user-friendly Critical Mention is and how easy it is to find the exact media clips I am searching for. I also love how easy it is to put together full reports for clients that include all of the media coverage we've secured for them for an event, a month's time, etc.

What do you dislike?

The "wordplay" feature is a bit cumbersome, but necessary to use because the media clips that pop up after a search are almost always off a bit (i.e. still include the segment before, a commercial, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Critical Mention to other PR professionals.

We use Critical Mention to report and measure coverage we secure for clients, and clients really enjoy receiving a link from us that takes to them to a full report that includes all of their radio and TV coverage.

Keith W.

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

The costumer service is top of the line and the ability to pull clips is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is a little confusing and takes some time to learn how to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes, I recommend using Critical Mention

We are able to show clients an entire platform of placements we can get them with

"Critical Mention Review"

What do you like best?

It's great tool for getting broadcast numbers for PR professionals and is a much needed resource for the industry.

What do you dislike?

It's not very easy to use and the interface is very confusing to figure out most of the time when you're using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If there is an alternative to Critical Mention that you can use at your company, then use it unless you can request a report to be pulled for you from their company

Coverage tracking, viewership numbers, ad values for segments and etc.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Critical Mention - The one and only"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention gives you everything you'd possibly need for PR TV monitoring. In my opinion, CM is the industry standard. No one can do what CM can do. If you wanted to do something as silly as search the last five minutes of the bachelorette, you can do that.

What do you dislike?

The only downfall to CM is the non-closed captioning function. Sometimes TV stations dont provide closed captioning for their programs rendering it difficult to search for your clip. The only way you'd be able to find it is if you know the time and station your spot ran on.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're not sure whether CM will solve your problems, reach out to them anyway. It's possible their support team can put together a solution for whatever your client/brand needs are. Additionally, some of their new product capabilities make the platform easier to use and your clips wont expire!

Critical Mention solves the broadcast TV monitoring problem for my team. We're able to capture all clips that mention our clients.

Jonathan H.

"Very useful"

What do you like best?

Critical mention helps us keep track of all the media chatter relevant to our brand. Great reporting that allows us to stay on top of all the press we're getting, on and offline.

What do you dislike?

As with any tool, it's not perfect. There are often false mentions and mentions that aren't detected. I don't think any tool will ever get this 100%.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This could be a must have, especially if your business is always in the media. A great tool for tracking your brand online and in the news. Easy to show ROI and performance.

We are able to keep track of our brand in the media and report back our impressions and mentions to determine marketing value and ROI.

"Critical Mention "

What do you like best?

It's the best and most seamless way to find broadcast clips and the impressions tend to be accurate. The search engines ability to track Boolean terms and networks is also extremely helpful because it provides a more seamless and simple way to find exactly what you're looking for.

What do you dislike?

Clipping them can be difficult when you're trying to utilize the text function to save a clip within a minute or less. Also, the functionality can sometimes malfunction while searching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It takes a while to master it but once you've figured it out, you will be good to go and finding/tracking/saving coverage will be seamless

It provides a seamless way to track and source broadcast coverage, complete with impressions.

Tanner W.

"Decent But Clunky"

What do you like best?

Good for broadcast clips, which many media monitoring services don't offer. Offers an automatic report that is customizable so that you can edit media briefs directly in the software.

What do you dislike?

-It's often clunky and slow. Loading broadcast clips takes a long time. Many digital news outlets aren't covered, so briefings aren't complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

-Not necessarily the best media monitoring service, unless you're primarily focused on broadcast.

Critical Mention was a method of monitoring media coverage.

"Useful if you need to track organization media mentions"

What do you like best?

Great at consolidating clips that mention our organization and campaigns without us having to do the legwork.

What do you dislike?

The links to video, such as news clips, are not able to be shared, which limits the usefulness. Ideally,these would be links to the station's own clips so that they could be shared on social media.

It allows us to pass on news clippings easily to senior management and show the value of our media work.

"Monitoring Review"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is in one place and easy to use. Whenever we have a big event/announcement I can count on Critical Mention to capture everything.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes some videos do not load, or are unavailable. I think to make it easier moving forward, if they are unable to get access to a clip they should alert us ahead of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask questions if you are unsure of something. The staff at Critical Mention wants tor make sure you are getting the most out of their software and are alerting them of any issues.

Using Critical Mention we are able to access clips in an efficient manner.

Savannah J.

"Critical Mention is great for broadcast clipping"

What do you like best?

The ease of use to search, browse, customize and clip broadcast and radio hits. The clips come in in nearly real-time and the UX is easy to use. Love the compiled reports and analytics

What do you dislike?

Occasionally the WordPlay custom clippings are slightly off and need to be done manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the analytics in the coverage reports and use WordPlay function to customize clips

Critical Mention is excellent for broadcast clipping and monitoring

"Good user interface"

What do you like best?

Critical Mention has good user experience and is very intuitive to use (much more so than TV Eyes). It is easy to edit clips in a precise manner, and most stations have viewership data available.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are separate subscriptions for TV and radio. Also, there are sometimes lag issues (where the text does not align with the audio) that make it hard to use the Wordplay feature and cut clips without watching the full segment.

We frequently use Critical Mention to pull broadcast clips for clients in real time or close to real time.

"Easy and accurate"

What do you like best?

As PR professional, I use Critical Mention to find on point segment clips mentioning my client's brand. I've always been able to track, download and share these videos efficiently and effectively, resulting in accurate measurements for my client.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be challenging to find the exact segment at the exact time it aired, however, I've always been able to track it eventually.

We are looking to capture brand mentions on a segment, as a result of our PR outreach. This showcases our work and effort reaching out to media and the success that comes with it.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Good for pulling clips that aren't available elsewhere"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy to use, good database, customer service is responsive. Reasonably priced.

What do you dislike?

The archive period isn't that long, so while it's good at capturing recent clips, it's not that useful for due diligence, research, media audit. Understandable, given the file size/storage limitations of that much video, and think it's probably for the best that they've chosen a broad net for a short time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure that you pull needed clips out before the archive period is up.

Primarily providing clips to clients as part of media coverage reports/as a result of our pitch efforts, occasionally monitoring competitors.

"Critical Mention is Critical for tracking"

What do you like best?

I love how you can customize your reports. They look sp professional custom logos and graphs.

What do you dislike?

If you don't have your keywords exact, you will be missing data

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize your customer support contact to help with Keyword set up. They are amazing.

This software is a life savor when it comes to tracking press releases.

Learning about Critical Mention?

* We monitor all Critical Mention reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.