Claris FileMaker Reviews & Product Details

Claris FileMaker Overview

What is Claris FileMaker?

Make an app unique to your business. Claris FileMaker is low-code application development platform that allows non-technical users to quickly build and share easy-to-use custom apps specific to their business needs that can integrate seamlessly with internal systems, take advantage of emerging tech, and allow teams to share, collaborate, and manage all their information. No other platform has the combination of powerful tools, professional partners, learning resources, support, along with a thriving community and marketplace. Learn more — www.claris.com

Claris FileMaker Details
German, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Chinese (Simplified)

The FileMaker Platform is a Workplace Innovation Platform that allows problem solvers to create, share, and integrate custom apps that work seamlessly across iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac, and the web.

Most packaged apps have A.) Rigid Design that does not fit your unique business needs; B.) Complexity, meaning more functionality than you need so you're paying for unused features; C.) Don't integrate with external data and therefore create information silos.

Custom apps created with Claris FileMaker are:
Flexible - they do exactly what you want them to do
Right-Sized - cost effective and you only pay for what you need
Integrated - Easy to integrate with existing business systems

Quickly create and run solutions that work seamlessly across iPad, iPhone, Windows, Mac and the web.

Claris
1998
Santa Clara, CA
@ClarisOfficial

Claris FileMaker Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Claris FileMaker community
Have you used Claris FileMaker before?

Claris FileMaker Reviews

Showing 487 Claris FileMaker reviews
Already have Claris FileMaker?
Director
What do you like best?

Filemaker Pro permits text editing and graphics insertion in any field the user creates. The database can, therefore, be easily customized for any business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There does not seem to be a cloud version of this database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I strongly recommend use of this database. It does not require extensive knowledge of programming. When I began using it in 1984, I had no experience in programming but was still able to create fairly sophisticated databases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As Filemaker Pro increased in complexity I tweaked my software as needed to keep up. Use of this database eliminated the need for dictation and transcription. I still use it today. I’ve written specific templates for the common disease categories I see, i.e., venous, carotid, aneurysm, arterial, I select the appropriate template and then by cutting, pasting and editing, I incorporate the history presented by the patient I'm seeing at the moment, and then perform the hands-on physical examination. There is a dropdown menu of diagnoses, treatment plans, and risk/benefits. I select the appropriate one(s) and thoroughly discuss with patient and family why that plan is recommended. I then return to my desk and print, and fax or email my completed consultation to the referring physician. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Information Security Manager
What do you like best?

FileMaker is an extremely versatile, user/developer friendly, and comprehensive platform. Although FileMaker was originally a simple database, over the past three decades, it has become a full development platform. With a fundamental database skillset, you can create simple solutions in a fairly short amount of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The development interface could use a face-lift, but that doesn't impact the overall usefulness or design within the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've used FileMaker for many decades as a tool to help with data manipulation, internal IT apps, and back-office type functions. The value of FileMaker is the quick-turn, low-code solutions you can create and provide quick value to your organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love this software fundamentally because it is highly customizable, the system is quite easy to configure to adapt to all the existing processes that a company contains internally, mentioning that the modernizations that are made to the environment of each Claris Filemaker user, is totally fast, underlining that new functions can be added with incredible flexibility, highlighting that it maintains open standards for a fantastic information gathering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This program can be frustrating when entering data in several fields, slowing down the work in significant quantities according to the development attracting losses, more annoying when it comes to companies that are characterized by having a high and fluid performance and performance when it comes to exercise the labor margin, being an inconvenience that requires an update, to solve these failures that the system currently presents, mentioned that Filemaker can be difficult to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is ideal for companies that acquire teams with members in a number considered as medium, or considerable, that do not work with such an extensive staff, if you need to create applications to attract as many customers as possible, including the option to sell these product that can become fully customizable, in every aspect that contains these schedules, acquiring recommendation rights for multiple companies, both for small and medium, Filemaker is the best to take into account in your main list to implement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use this software with an essential objective, which allows us to satisfy all our concerns in relation to the operation of Claris Filemaker, and this is that it allows us to create different and numerous applications in a fast and incredible way, offering us totally unique tools throughout the cloud, which allows us to carry out the work in a very adequate and simple way, mentioning that the products we make with this program are completely configurable to our environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

I like the ability to customize it in any way I see fit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Filemaker doesn't seem to talk to a lot of other software systems. We can integrate our email system, but we can't tie it into our PO database system or digital asset management system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared to pay for development if you are not using an out of box solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have reduced the amount of hours it takes to process new jobs and track them. We have added the ability to track status through the history of the project. The requestors now can see where their jobs are at at any given time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The FileMaker Platform is a system that we use in companies in order to improve capabilities and reduce the amount of information by synthesizing the databases with the possibility of having the necessary information, we are happy because the tools worked very well and are very comprehensive and attractive. analyze day by day to keep only what is necessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no problems with the service, I find it very complete and also its service is very updated, very optimized, it offers security, which is what you are looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have no problem with the system, it is widely used and good services. Support is always attentive to any situation, it worked correctly and I recommend it because also its tools are useful and easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is a very attractive system and it solves the problems in the database, thus reducing the amount of information that we had, such as projects, jobs, invoices, among others, it was necessary to reduce everything and save time and money, that is why The FileMaker Platform worked and made strategies to to be able to improve and speed up this type of process synthesizing all the information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Designer and Developer
What do you like best?

I like being able to design my own relational database with forms and managing all my home stuff this way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes designing a form takes time to line things up or to change things. Sometimes it is hard for me to build the relational part between files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not have time or budget to hire a database expert and just want something off the shelf, this is for you Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I keep track of everything home and business: all invoices, all assets. all customers, all my website coding, notes when I am in school, and notes about reseach and projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales & Marketing Director
What do you like best?

FileMaker is by far the simplest way of solving your business workflow problems. If you are constantly inventing ways to improve your business, reduce administrative tasks, or provide better customer service, then FileMaker is ready to help. We can quickly create web apps for our customers to interact with us such as the appointment booking system we recently deployed with FileMaker WebDirect. It accesses data from Apple's GSX global service systems using their API and simplifies the task of booking appointments for our customers online. When we needed to track our new Managed Service offering for schools using iPad and Mac, we took a couple of days and wrote a whole new system. It tracks renewals, emails documents to customers, give us management information and reports and a whole lot more. And this cost very little in terms of time to build, and cost us no extra money in licensing. We would not have been able to find anything else to do this so quickly. I could go on... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While creating simple apps is...simple, you will need to invest some time in getting to know the scripting and database design to get the most from it. Anyone who is familiar with basic scripting will have no trouble in learning these skills and the rewards are huge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use FileMaker for CRM, customer quotations, invoicing, inventory management, retail POS, HR systems, purchase orders, data driven parts of our web site. Everything. And Filemaker integrates with the other systems we use e.g. Amazon Marketplace, Slack, ZenDesk, Apple's GSX systems, Amazon Web Services and more. It is the centre of our business and saves us time and money every day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AG
What do you like best?

Increases market presence

FileMaker helps me to facilitate my business in growing by maintaining customers because of the better documentation needed.

FileMaker has got a higher customer satisfaction score .This helps to keep more customers because their needs are fullfied as per what they require .

Filmmaker is very easy to adjust this helps me as a graphic designer to interface with ease , hence more friendly . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

FileMaker requires uses who are licensed in oder to access data which is expensive to get a license .

Thought FileMaker is the best and it does not disappoint . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

FileMaker will aid in empowering problem solvers because it dynamic in the field of innovation and sharing of the database. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FileMaker has got one of the best documentation . This helps me to get customers with ease due to good quality work that it produce.

FileMaker helps in innovation and sharing. It facilitate new ideas that one acquire from exchange with the emerging technologies . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Application Developer
What do you like best?

Ease of use and flexibility. Building even complex business logic into a FileMaker app is relatively straightforward. Current version layout tools allow for highly functional interfaces for users. Integration with other platforms and data sources is for the most part straightforward, and greatly improved over past versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

License model is changing towards monthly fees, and costs have been going up over the last few versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A solution based on the FileMaker platform runs my employer’s business, from order management, production scheduling, to inventory management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Correspondence Specialist
What do you like best?

It can be used company wide to help us connect product information. I like that exports can be pulled with ample information on our products to allow us to stay up to date and see what needs completing. There are multiple options and tools to use within it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It tends to freeze and close out a lot in the Middle of working. It’s also tedious to open additional screens. It also causes a bit of a hassle when not all styles are shot, it won’t load correctly. I wish there were a few more “extra” features like the ability to zoom into photos or open additional screens without going directly into a product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure it connects to your vpn for remote use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We’re using it to connect with our other office and stay updated on what is live and shot and things we need accomplished. It allows us to maintain, correct and create all in one program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sole Proprietor
Real Estate
What do you like best?

I've been a user of Filemaker on and off since it's early days as a Claris product. The number one pro in my opinion is the ease in which you can start using Filemaker Databases. The templates out of the gate are well built, have a nice UI and give you the freedom to make them yours easily. Beginners can use the templates to get a taste for the Filemaker development structure while not having to climb a steep learning curve to get an app or database off the ground. Deployment is one click for simple web use and a few more clicks to deploy on a hosted solution like Amazon Web Services. For the expert user, complex systems can be made in a shorter amount of time and a GUI can be in place at the same time. Single developer and teams can all just in can create some thing truly functional and efficient.

The ease of use allows you to really create what you wanted not what you are able to achieve due to a learning curve. Help is readily available in the forums and through their customer support. I have received database files as example of how to fix a problem I was having. They really go the extra mile to get you up and running fast.

There is a vast library of plug-ins from third party vendors that close the gap on development time. Days if not weeks of time can be saved with one plug-in. They don't come cheap so be sure you need it. There is are also a multitude of free add-ons and plug-in to add functionality to your databases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Licensing is a little steep for a small business or single user. The add-ons are also a bit pricey. When looking at the cost to develop, you really need to budget and make sure you only buy what you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a lot of data and need to make use of it fast, Filemaker is perfect. Easy set up and getting started takes an hour or less. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Reducing the time it takes to make a complex database for short term use or as a bridge between two applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Financial Officer
What do you like best?

Cost to maintain is certainly a big consideration however the fact that no matter what we seek to do with it, the platform's capabilities never tell us "nope, you can't do that."

For those people who appreciate the value of having an easy to manipulate and robust featured custom development platform, I don't know of a more capable and quite frankly more fun piece of software to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If there was one thing I could say that I don't like about it is having to explain to other IT professionals why I am using software that is 30 some odd years old. I usually respond that it never disappoints and has constantly been evolving and integrating the latest technology so it always remains relevant. With each annual release, comes another tool or efficiency I can use in my business or my customer's businesses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is easy to be lured by a lot of the low cost, off the shelf SaaS software out there but they all only do a few things well and you invariably have to string a bunch of them together which leads you to a cobbled together mess. FileMaker can be implemented as a central data point to coordinate the workflow between all those endpoints and if budget allowed could even act as the entire end to end solution that runs the department or business.

Nothing is cheap or easy and if you want to differentiate yourself, then you have to invent more efficient and better ways of doing business - and having a well supported Innovation Platform like FileMaker Pro in your tool box is a powerful asset to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

End to end business workflow. From sales lead, to CRM/customer management, to estimation, to project management/fulfillment, time tracking, purchase orders, licensing, asset management, reporting, marketing, orders, shopping cart, integration with 3rd party software and services like QuickBooks, Outlook/Exchange, Docusign, EventBrite, DropBox, AWS, Authorize.net credit card processing, integrate with hardware devices like biometric scanners, RFID, deployment on the desktop, in a browser and mobile devices. Pretty much anything anybody could ever want, we have done with FileMaker Pro. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Data and Project Coordinator
What do you like best?

FileMaker is one of the oldest pieces of database-building software around. Its longevity has a lot to do with its delicate balancing of powerful data organizing and intuitive interface building. The app is easy to transition into if you already have a background in database terminology, and building a custom interface takes very little work at all. It has become one of those tools where if a certain feature doesn't exist, the solid foundation of the app allows for custom abilities to be built into it. There are multiple versions of FileMaker Pro, but for small business or home needs the regular version will work just fine. However, spending the extra money for FileMaker Pro Advanced can really improve your workflow with features such as the Database Design Report, where you can have a comprehensive document that outlines every part of your database. Also, using Developer Utilities can enable features like encryption and saving the database as a standalone app. While technical support is costly, there is a huge community of users and support all over the internet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While the UI tolls are comprehensive and specific, some shortcuts would be appreciated with current design standards. it is a rather cumbersome task to build a navigation menu or a series of buttons when you have to configure each and every one of the buttons when needing to make a minor change. If you build an app through FileMaker, it will always feel one step behind because most of the innovation occurs long after they become popular elsewhere. Even though FileMaker Go is free and can access databases using peer-to-peer technology, you have to buy another license of FileMaker in order to access a database on another computer. The application is not cheap, and the pricing structure for Server seems too expensive for most. Those familiar with doing SQL queries will be disappointed by the lack of a query feature. There are plenty of third-party mods that add this feature quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to build something pretty for those intimidated by data mining, but require the power of a standard database, FileMaker is a perfect balance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I maintain a database that organizes data for a department at an ivy league university. The data is coming from old paper files decades old. I am also designing an interface that is to be used by beginner, intermediate, and pro computer users, so customization is key. FileMaker has made it so easy for me to build features requested by my colleagues, and the quick ability to encrypt the information is super important for a higher education setting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
What do you like best?

FileMaker provides the greatest amount of power with the least amount of complexity. Most folks don't understand how FileMaker can shine in the face of large, complex systems. We are able to integrate with virtually all database systems and use REST connectivity to integrate with a large family of online service offerings. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a client available for Android like there is for iOS. Although we are able to provide system access to Android clients via FileMaker's awesome Web Direct interface via a browser. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helping a large creative services company manage projects, people resources and time sheet events. Helping a Fortune 500 retailer manage their supply chain and approval processes. Helping a large auction house manage consigned items and arranging auction events. Helping a research organization in Africa collect, organize and report on AIDS research data. And so much more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

I like the integration among my various platforms (MacOS, iOS (phone/tablet), Windows) and the overall consistency of the interface regardless of platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I can think of, and it's not really fair to call it a dislike, is that I had to (at least at some level) learn an additional way of working with things. But FileMaker made that process as painless as I could ever have hoped for, so not really a dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Jump in with both feet . . . it's a lot easier than you think, and way capable! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was looking for a way to consolidate all the various other platforms I was using to track attendance at training seminars I conduct, and to then roll–over those records into billing and follow–up contact information once the attendees have returned into their own production environments. It gave me one place to track it all without needing to remember to go to my spreadsheets for billing, contacts to retype contact demographics, separate tracking on payments, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Campus Minister
What do you like best?

I like that I can pull up a great deal of information on an individual or group of students. This software allowed me to better organize several school programs, much better than I could with an Excel workbook. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's pretty ugly. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the administrator's choices, but the layout is very Windows 95. The system also crashed a fair amount of the time. And it is not very intuitive. Working in a school with several people not as familiar with tech, it takes a lot of training for some people to understand the basics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This program was a very basic way to organize an enormous amount of data for our school programs. I understand it was a much lower cost than a typical CRM. It was also easy to access this across various platforms (iPad, PC), which further helped collaboration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Design Instructional Support
What do you like best?

Easy to use interface. Very adjustable for graphic designers because we like everything to look good. Plus it's an Apple subsidiary and our graphic design department has over 200 iMacs and all GD faculty have MacBook Pros. I have a personal paid version at home as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Need better documentation on how to set up a relational database. I still have problems. I would like to see a monthly subscription because I have missed the upgrade and had to pay full price after 15 years of using Filemaker. The Filemaker Go is a little hard to get to work with our IT guys blocking things, faculty would rather use numbers in iCloud or Google drive so it's been a fight to keep it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the best database software I've ever used. You can make several layouts using the same data. Love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have so many uses I can't go into it all. I would like to have all our faculty use Filemaker Go but I need some suggestions and training. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Almost any business process can be made easier and quicker with Filemaker in your business tool box.

Relatively quick learning curve, no server needed to develop, tons of support, cross platform. Server setup available, easy to setup. Large community of help and documentation to assist in problem solving. Forgiving very stable platform. Very well thought through design you can tell the people at filmmaker do their jobs trying to squeeze every tool need for almost every situation. Almost unlimited creations between scripts and functions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No native calendar tools. It is lacking in this area because with calendar building tools the platform now could fit and finish the other 50% of the businesses out there. Almost any service needs calendars for scheduling, doctors office's, rentals etc. Calendar tools could be designed like the charting module. Depreciated run time tools. Updates coming faster than you can use them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We recently developed a Tax Office Manager solution for a super busy tax and financial services office with over 5000 clients which automated almost every processes from appointments to check in to tracking documents through the whole process and cut the staff needed to run the front from 3 to 2 thanks to the Filemaker Software and Server. It does 10 times what their previously used off the shelf software did at half the price. Plus we can custom upgrade as their needs arise every year. They are very pleased. We are in the final stages of developing a inventory and tracking solution that can be used for almost any small business on the desktop and iPad. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP of Sales
What do you like best?

Filemaker is a great way to manage a large amount of data while being able to cusomize how you do it. It is very user freindly and has a fairly low learning curve. All it takes is some basic database knowledge and the rest is fairly straight forward. There are many different ways you can use Filemaker as well from CRM to sales tracking to calandering. It really does have it all (well mostly all). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Publishing to the web is not very robust. Users without licenses can access the data base via the web however is is slow and a little clunky. The web interface is also different and takes some time to get use to. I would love to see the ability to create an actual data website using FM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have large amounts of data that needs to be shared with in your office, Filemaker is the solution for you. It is very simple to learn and easy to use and quick to impliment. It only takes one person to manage and upkeep the records but everyone in the office can easily access the data they need in a timely fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We manage a massive number of clients and companies along with their sales orders. We also track all of our leads and listings with Filemaker. We have discovered that we are able to also manage and send email campaigns effectively. Allowing for more inter department cohesivness. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developer
What do you like best?

I like the user interface coupled with the ease of sharing one's app in several different ways. Also, Apple and several of its partners offer great training and support for FileMaker. The times I have called customer support they have always been able to help me with my issue. I called once on FM Server and I was up and running in less than a few hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have used several database programs going back to DBase II up to Access. Making the transition to FileMaker was not as straight forward my previous experiences. However, the effort is well worth it. Regardless, I would encourage anyone involved in workplace innovation to give FM a go. It is a terrific platform for development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the many examples offered by FileMaker and its support affiliates. Also of Lynda's training courses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am creating a church member information solution and a wine and liquor database. The ability to share the app is a key reason for me to use Filemaker as well s the excellent support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.