Wave Reviews & Product Details

Wave Overview

What is Wave?

The world's fastest growing small business accounting software.

Wave Details
Discussions
Wave Community

The world's fastest growing small business accounting software.

Wave
2009
Ontario, Canada
@WaveHQ

Wave Screenshots

Wave Reviews

Showing 210 Wave reviews
Already have Wave?
Google Forms makes Business Easy!
What do you like best?

I absolutely love our switch from Quickbooks to Wave! Its a waaaay easier user friendly platform, much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and the best part: ITS FREE! I shaved off a major annual expense by making the switch to Wave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Wave truly is a fantastic platform, however the reports could be a little easier to navigate. Sometimes I am looking to run a report for ONE aspect of my business, whether that be an item or expense account, and finding a singular category can be a bit round about. They exist but they aren't easy to find. The account consolidation feature could also use a few improvements.....I admit I am not great at consolidation but many times I just want to erase and start from square one....at I can't just reset everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a brand new business owner, don't be afraid to track your own expenses and do your accounting because Wave makes it not only possible, but simple! Plus they have easy mobile apps to help with your needs on the go. Quickbooks is not the only answer and is probably more complex than what you actually need for your business. And if you feel as if you're in over your head, Youtube tutorials are your friend! Or you could hire one of their accountants available through the website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wave helps me solve the biggest business problem of all: tracking our finances! My business is very small and they need for an accountant isn't really necessary, which means the responsibility falls on my shoulders. As someone who is the farthest thing from an accountant, Wave has made tracking our finances a piece of cake. Accounting is still NOT my favorite thing to do BUT at least I don't dread it anymore, like I used to with Quickbooks. Its just simple and I love that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Wave “has always been and always will be free,” a structure that the company plans to maintain following its acquisition by H&R Block. Unlike most free plans, Wave doesn’t limit you to a certain number of invoices, customers, or transactions, making it one of the best free options out there — plus, there are no pesky ads. The company generates revenue from its credit card processing, payroll, and bookkeeping services and uses this revenue to keep the software completely free. You can cancel your account at any time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Wave offers a limited number of integrations, although it does support a much-needed Zapier integration, which connects Wave with 1,000+ add-ons. The integrations Wave directly connects with are PayPal, Etsy, and Shoeboxed. You can also use the new Checkouts feature to create buttons on websites, such as Wix, Squarespace, and WordPress. API is available for developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wave has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years. The company has addressed many customer complaints in its latest redesign, including adding 1099 payroll support, duplicate transaction management, expense transaction automation, and cash-basis accounting. The brand new checkouts feature is one-of-a-kind and is a great addition for business owners who need to charge multiple customers quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Audience Development Specialist
What do you like best?

As a freelancer who wanted to professionalize without incurring new expenses, Wave was the solution I was looking for. Prior to Wave, I was using extremely simple invoice templates that communicated to clients that I didn't have a wealth of freelance experience. Professionalizing via products like Wave can ultimately result in increasing your perceived value to clients and being able to increase your rates.

I also love the bookkeeping. It's nice to be able to glance at their monthly overview and know what direction my revenue is trending in for the year. When the end of the year rolls around, or when it's tax season, the records make life significantly easier. Tax season last year was the easiest tax season I've had in a long time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I tend to itemize in great detail, and Wave appears to save each item I've ever used, which creates a messy list of items I'll likely never use again, but this is just a minor nuisance. I would also prefer my invoices to automatically save as I am drafting them. Multiple times, I've forgotten to save invoices and they've been lost as a result. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Some of the features aren't relevant to me, but that's OK. I wouldn't recommend using the credit card payment feature, since it includes a fee. I also don't automatically send or schedule invoices. I prefer to download them from Wave and email them myself, so I'm in complete control. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I feel more confident and professional in my billing process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President/CEO
What do you like best?

My bookkeeper uses it mostly, but I love the reports it can generate. At a glance I can view the cash in my accounts and cashflow, P&L, Net Income, expense breakdown,payable and owing. I can generate a P&L, Cashflow,and balance sheet report. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not familiar with financial langiage, so unless you understand it or how to read financial statements, you may need soeone to help you get up to speed. I am not using many of the features because it either isnt applicable tor difficult to setup. I needed my bookeeper to set up my account and she likes working in it (her other clients use quickbooks) and the fact is free is great, but its very time consuming to enter the data and categorize things yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

try it, its free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

i need to track my money, where its being spend, and the financial health of my company. incidentally I set it up for personal finance and its been great tracking that as well. I also needed to send invoices and it can be paid online with multiple options for payment which my clients love. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Head Of Operations
What do you like best?

Being able to create different customers who have the same email address. This is useful for us because we have two separate clients who are pretty much part of the same group of companies/organizations with the same finance person Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think it could be more freelancer-friendly. Some businesses such as ours might not operate as a company but as a team of freelancers so payroll and other functions might be different. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am trying to consolidate and streamline and systemize finance operations in my business. I feel that I've benefited via Wave through being able to partly automate customer billing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

First off, it's free! (Unless you need payroll, then there's a fee.) As a one-man biz, I just need basic accounting features, and Wave covers it nicely. Double-entry, invoicing, reports, allows for payment within the invoices, etc. Amazing what you get for...nothing! More than enough features for me, replacing my outdated version (10 yrs old) of QuickBooks and mothballed version of MS Money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The software is "up and coming" - being updated along the way. Most of the "core" features are there and functional. There are, however, some features that really need to be added in that they're working on - recurring bills, for example. Able to work around for the time-being. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeps my small biz accounting under control. Dashboard gives me "at a glance" status of my biz finances. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP Clinical Operations, SoundBite Medical Solutions. Strategic Advisor, CEAPRO. NWL
What do you like best?

Wave’s bank transaction routines are a misérable failure Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

On February 2020, Wave lost bank account connection settings and automated transaction imports stopped. As of January 2021, Wave is incapable of solving this issue and pushes its clients to manual transaction uploads... a misery... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not consider Wave till the company fixes its transaction import function Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Because of Wave’s failure to correct it’s transaction import function, all transactions now have to be imported manually Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Wave offers me all the accounting features I need as a small business owner for free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I love all of Wave's features but the accounting feed will sometimes duplicate income/sales transactions. I have to keep an eye out and remove them manually Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a free or very low cost platform to allow me to track transactions and manage invoices. This platform is perfect and free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Wave is very easy to use. I am no accountant and I find the thought of bookkeeping painful and difficult. However, after using Wave for our business needs for a while, I have to say that keeping on track has been surprisingly easy and I even appreciate doing accounting now. Everyone is in charge of his/her account and to keep it balanced and in good shape for our accounting department, and I get compliments each month for my well-done books! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Even if Wave is easy to use, it is still an accounting/bookkeeping software and it has a steeper learning curve than other computer programs. It is still a program that you will quickly learn, but to become a pro at it, you will need to dedicate some time to understanding accounting practices and how Wave operates. I also dislike the custom options available. Yes, you can create custom tags and "accounts", but they need to fall under certain categories and these do not fit with what I need for my accounts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wave is allowing even the accounting-challenged among us to be professional in our bookkeeping and a great side bonus is that I have become much more organized in my bookkeeping which includes keeping receipts, saving invoices, and more. This has in turn made me a better salesman, and a better client representative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Executive Vice President Of Operations
What do you like best?

The program does exactly what it says it does. It is a premium app without the costs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike about the product except that it doesn't have integrated bank feeds... Yet Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking forn accounting system that does most things that the well known brands in the market do but for free, then this is for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was able to on-board easily without any hassles and without having to need expert accounting knowledge to get an invoice out to a client in record time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

I like that firstly, it's free for everything I need to do. I also like the receipts app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There can sometimes be double entry problems, but it seems that they are fixing this glitch to be a little bit more intuitive to finding matching duplicate transactions. It used to take a lot more of my time when reconciling. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sending invoices and bookkeeping. I love the fact that they have downloadable reports by client and that you can pull your financials from previous years in pdf documents quickly. This has saved me a lot of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bookkeeper
What do you like best?

It's free, and does allow you to create reports Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter details of each transaction in a very cumbersome way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm using it to keep a few very small companies' books, and it is nice to have that option for a fee-free software. The problem is that it is very very basic, and entering information takes a long time. It has a reconcile option, but won't let you go through and check transactions, just says it is reconciled if the totals match. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

That it is free while still giving me good functionality and basic reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have zero complaints. To be fair, my business is new and I have not used vendor payment functions or tax functions yet. Nor do I intend to link my bank accounts for automatic population. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My main aim was to be able to get a big-picture view of my business. Wave helps me steer my course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bookkeeper
Freelance Website Designer
What do you like best?

It's totally free!. Everywhere I looked, I was always asked to pay money to use their simplest service. But Wave is advanced, automated, and yet offers the services free Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike, to be honest. Every advertised feature worked flawlessly. I cannot complain Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't worry about what anyone else says. Give it a try. It's free, but it will amaze you from what it can do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using wave for sending invoices, quotations, and save my list of clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

At Well Work Solutions we use Wave for both invoicing and our book keeping. I like the simplicity and user friendliness of the tool. For us it’s the most cost effective and integrated software available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As for any accounting soft, Wave offers pre-determined income and expenses categories which are cumbersome to customize Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it for invoicing clients and to prepare our accounts for the accountant Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder/CMO
What do you like best?

I like that it syncs up with my business bank account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That it charges so much for transferring my funds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's a respected form of invoice and payment tracking that is simple for my clients to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Wave does literally everything we were looking for at no base cost. We are able to keep everything we do in one place instead of having to have multiple programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could schedule jobs or create an appointment inside of your program. This would make it easy to take a payment once you are on site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to create invoices and estimates that look professional without having to put our customer database inside of another program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner/Photographer
What do you like best?

I'm not sure how I ended up settling on Wave, but I originally planned to use it purely for invoicing. I'm the kind of person that generally spends way too long exploring options, but I just clicked with Wave straight away and haven't looked at anything else since! I really like their ecosystem and how well everything just works with the minimum of fuss, and over time I've entrusted it with all of my accounting.

The Recieipts app is incredibly useful to me, since I'm often using public transport and I'm terrible at keeping track of bus/train passes etc, so I simply snap a photo on the wave app and don't worry too much if I lose it. Ditto small expenses like food.

The invoicing is easily my favourite bit, they just work with the absolute minimum of fuss. I've got a graphic design background but I've never felt any need to have custom invoices etc, the basic Wave template with my logo on top looks great as is. Very well organised and just the right amount of customisation for me. I was also pleased to see the invoicing calendar supported setting a payment date of September 3019 - that got a little giggle out of a wedding client who's had to postpone her marriage several times due to ill health. Not particularly useful but at least I know their coding is robust!

My accounting needs are fairly simple, and I stopped using the link to my bank account directly since it just wasn't necessary (though it worked well), but it's been more than enough for me to keep track of expenses and earnings without needing an accountant. As the business grows and I take on employees regularly I may take a look at other options, but as a small independent sole trader it's been nothing short of brilliant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's a few small details that really bother me - the first one that springs to mind is that you can't customise the text that appears when you send a receipt of payment received. You can edit it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to permanently change the default wording. For receipts the standard wording is:

Hi #Customer,

Here's your payment receipt for Invoice ###, for £##GBP.

You can always view your receipt online, at:

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thanks,

#Business Name

I find this infuriating because A) the wording feels clumsy ('you can always view your receipt online'?) and B) it really doesn't match my business's branding at all. As a photographer I write in the first person ('me' and 'I', not 'we' and 'us') and in a much more informal, friendly tone. So having to delete this and type something by hand every time is infuriating when dealing with lots of payments!

The fact that minor detail is my biggest complaint is testament to the quality of the free service, mind. My other concern is that as a free-to-use service, there's the slight fear that they'll one day decide to withdraw their service, or change the pricing entirely, if they're not making enough profit with their current model. Their Wave Plus is an intriguing model (plus taking a fee for card payments) but i have no idea how sustainable it is, for all I know they might be just trying to elevate the company without turning a profit so they can sell it to an investor. As much as I like having a free service, I'd happily pay a small fee, maybe £50 a year or something, just so I've got the rights of a paying customer.

One other minor thing, is I don't necessarily like that I have to add every customer before using them in an invoice. Much of my work is basically one-off (weddings for example) and I don't need a huge long list of clients that I'll never contact again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try! If you're looking at a variety of options, there's no harm in simply signing up with Wave and having a play with features to see how it works.

I've never had any unwanted email marketing from them and their privacy policy etc seems robust, so there's no harm in simply getting stuck in and trying it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My biggest problem was that I'm terrible at paperwork - I kept losing minor receipts in particular. The Wave Receipts app for my phone was a total gamechanger in that regard, it's really streamlined things.

The biggest benefit has been being able to access my invoices, clients and accounts from anywhere, on basically any device. The site works great on mobile browsers so I don't even use the main app.

I don't think it does anything I couldn't do myself, but it does it much, MUCH more easily and in a user-friendly way. it means keeping track of payments and invoices doesn't feel like a chore at all, it's no stress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

Easy to use and there is a free version if you need to just do some simple accounting/book keeping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not QuickBooks. And if you have intentions to scale your business, I would save the hassle of having to switch to QB in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounting and bookeeping needs. Ability to report on financial health of business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder + CEO
Consumer Services
What do you like best?

Wave is simple to use, has a beautiful interface, and is constantly coming up with new capacities to help me run my business on my own terms. I like that it is not intimidating and that I can send invoices to clients that are branded and easy to read. The checkouts are a great feature! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have some difficulty getting things to categorize the way my accountant expects, but changing them manually is simple and easy to complete. I wish there was a way to estimate recurring income (membership subscription style customers) to project future revenue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a small team, need simple payroll or vendor payments, or want to send professional invoices with simple online payment tools- this is a great service for you! Online payment tools are almost mandatory these days, and Wave makes it easy to put together a professional face to your business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can pay my staff with direct deposit, create checkout buttons to sell one-off services to clients, manage my expenses and sales, and see big picture reports all in one place. My accountant and I can see the same information in real time, and I'm not intimidated by working with the money side of our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AO
What do you like best?

I like the efficiency of the application. I am able to insert my client's information, my business information, my picture logo. I am able to retrieve invoices. I am able to use the application for Accounting in my small business. I am able to send the invoice directly from Wave. I also like that I am able to send payment reminders directly from Wave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that their is not an option to select PayPal for client's or customers to pay. I dislike that there are fees associated with accepting payments via credit cards via Wave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving an invoice problem. I have realized that I am to send an invoice directly from wave, keep track of the invoice, and send a payment reminder. I have realized that I am able to do Accounting for my small business via Wave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer and Graphic Designer
Internet
Gerente
Internet
What do you like best?

Wave is an invoice, estimate and accounting software in the cloud. I like that this app has all you need in order to manage your small business in terms of accounting.

We are a small web design company in Colombia. At this moment we mainly use the app for creating estimates and invoices, but in the future we are planning to start using the accounting part.

Although the software is focus on English language users, the app allows you to translate some terms to Spanish, as it is our case, because we are in Colombia.

One thing most small business users value is that this software is free, completely free for all users, with no limits in amount of invoices and estimates. Very cool. Wave wins money because they charge a small fee when you accept payments online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Although the software allows you to translate terms to Spanish, it is no possible to translate all the terms. Terms like "Bill To", "Invoice Number", "Invoice Date", "Payment Due" and others, are no allowed to translate to Spanish, so our estimates and invoices go that way. No so cool.

Other thing we don't like is that the app has very limited capabilities in order to customize invoices and estimates templates. There are three templates and no more. No styling. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolute positive. If you need to create estimates and invoices for your small business, then use Wave. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

If you, as a small business owner, need to create estimates and invoices (who don't) for you products and services, and need a small accounting software, then Wave is the tool to use.

Before Wave we were using Invoice Ninja and others, but, without a doubt, Wave is the best tool, because its features and cost (free). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.