Wave Reviews & Product Details

What is Wave?

The world's fastest growing small business accounting software.

Wave Screenshots

Wave Reviews

1-50 of 177 total Wave reviews
Web Developer and Graphic Designer
Most Recent Wave Video Review

"How easy it makes everything"

Owner and Head Designer
(Myself Only)

"Love this free accounting program!"

What do you like best?

I love how quickly and easily everything integrates into Wave so that I barley have to add any income or expenses manually when I do my accounting at the end of each month. It makes tax time a breeze because i can just print out my income report and hand it over to my accountant. And really, once I had all of my categories set, going through my income/expenses at the end of each month takes less than 15 minutes. The invoicing feature is also handy so I can get paid from clients who are not interested in paying though paypal (which is what I normally use for invoicing)

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the small credit union I use does not integrate with Wave so it does not pull those transactions automatically for me. That is a huge bummer, but for this reason I use my Paypal debit card for most expenses. I also am not a fan of the invoicing feature that won't let me type in whatever i want in each line item. It wants you to choose from premade options and I just want to be able to put something custom in each time. Since my design work is so custom, I am rarely billing for the same thing over and over again.

Wave makes it SO EASY to keep up with my accounting month after month. I don't dread it and I can quickly get it done without worrying I've missed anything or that it's inaccurate. Their invoices also look really professional, so I appreciate that.

Producer

"A good online accounting platform with just about all of our needs"

What do you like best?

The user interface of Wave is very clean with distinct menu options and sections that make navigating the platform fairly simple. Most all of the tools are self-explanatory enough for most of us to go in and use it without needing extensive training. We can create engaging data-filled reports within seconds with Wave's custom report generation tools. We not only have all the tools we need for standard accounting and tax purposes, but we can also generate invoices and connect all of our bank and credit card accounts to transfer payment information completely online.

What do you dislike?

I think the fees for accepting payments online is slightly too high. We only use that feature once in a while since we can get better rates through other methods. Being an online-based accounting platform puts some security risk into the equation. We never know if Wave will get breached or if our passwords will get stolen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Wave is used by many and should be considered a trusted company for your accounting. Though there's a risk involved with processing financial information online, as long as you take the proper and obvious precautionary measures, such as securing your passwords, you most likely will be fine.

I handle many aspects of business and use Wave as my main accounting platform to manage payroll, expenses, reports and other accounting tasks. Rather than depending completely on accounting specialists, we can use Wave to run most of our accounting activities and manage our spending very efficiently. Overall, Wave has been a dependable and error-free online accounting platform that we can count on for immediate and accurate account updates.

Digital Marketer

"Great for those with little accounting knowledge"

What do you like best?

Wave is relatively easy to setup and use. There are some great features that are time saving. The ability to create recurring invoices. The integration with Stripe for payment options. And, I can easily connect with my bank accounts for reporting. It's the perfect solution for small businesses - most likely bigger businesses as well but I can only recommend based on small business.

What do you dislike?

The initial setup and learning curve was a bit time consuming but I had very little knowledge of accounting so took me longer. For those who have used other platforms it should be a breeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those looking for a simple, secure option with loads of features and excellent integration with payment gateways then this product should be trialed.

I can have all of my clients information, history and invoices in one place to easily find and reconcile when needed. I can create recurring invoices to save time. I can see what cash on hand I have. Reporting is great for tax time.

CFO

"Great Free Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

The software is simple to use and does not get in the way of the bookkeeping process. It is free which is fantastic in comparison to some of the bigger players in this space and it allows me to work in the general ledger when it's required (yes there is some accounting software that limits this ability)

What do you dislike?

Although it is able to identify and categorize a number of different transactions automatically it seems to "forget" some of the previous entries. It has improved from when we started using it a couple of years ago, but there are still improvements to be made.

We needed a bookkeeping program that was able to integrate with our bank account to save time in the bookkeeping process. It has saved us a significant amount of time in our monthly bookkeeping process.

Gerente
Internet

"An Invoice And Estimate App Small Business Must Be Using"

What do you like best?

Wave is an invoice, estimate and accounting software in the cloud. I like that this app has all you need in order to manage your small business in terms of accounting.

We are a small web design company in Colombia. At this moment we mainly use the app for create estimates and invoices, but in the future we are planning to start using the accounting part.

Although the software is focus on English language users, the app allows you to translate some terms to Spanish, as it is our case, because we are in Colombia.

One thing most small business users value is that this software is free, completely free for all users, with no limits in amount of invoices and estimates. Very cool. Wave wins money because they charge a small fee when you accept payments online.

What do you dislike?

Although the software allows you to translate terms to Spanish, it is no possible to translate all the terms. Terms like "Bill To", "Invoice Number", "Invoice Date", "Payment Due" and others are no allowed to translate to Spanish, so our estimates and invoices go that way. No so cool.

Other thing we don't like is that the app has very limited capabilities in order to customize invoices and estimates.templates. There are three templates and no more. No styling.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolute positive. If you need to create estimates and invoices for your small business, then use Wave.

If you as a small business owner need to create estimates and invoices (who don't) for you products and services, and need a small accounting software, then Wave is the tool to use.

Before Wave we were using Invoice Ninja and others, but, without a doubt, Wave is the best tool, because its features and cost (free).

President

"Wave is dope"

What do you like best?

Wave is free! It's got mobile apps that make it easy for me to scan in a receipt or send out an invoice from my phone. It's easy to use, and has a vibrant community waiting to help.

What do you dislike?

The downside? I guess, a downside is that it doesn't tie in to Mint, but even for that, I'm not switching to QuickBooks. Although a bookkeeper friend has suggested that I take a look at QB desktop version, so I will.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your accountant wants you to pay for QB, tell 'em to get Wave instead.

Wave makes it easy for me to be a one-man show. I can easily track my income and expenses, assets and liabilities while I manage my website, create my own marketing material and run the one-man sales team!

Creative Genius
Design

"Great for small business"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can set up recurring invoices for my monthly clients, and that the invoices ship out on the correct day ensuring that I get paid in a timely manner. I also enjoy the monthly expenditure tracking that is included in this web app.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the history for a specific client is difficult to target, especially when someone wants to see their yearly expenses with me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great accounting application (AND it works with the Station app!!) for small business. It is very flexible until you link a bank account that is not your primary account for business income and expenses. I would definitely only link it to your business account, and not one that is used for other purposes. I had to reset mine this year because it got a little confused between my personal and business accounts. I'm certain it was operator error, and I did not utilize their help feature before that. Aside from that, Wave has been working flawlessly, and I do recommend it for small business.

I primarily use Wave for all of my small contracts for design work, and all of my larger monthly retainers. Giving my clients an option to view their invoices and make payments online is a serious bonus. Also, keeping track of expenses vs. income is an important part of running a small business. Wave has not let me down yet!

"Wave is an amazing service for businesses on a budget"

What do you like best?

A lot of product for the cost (free for everything except processing transactions), the ability to access wave from anywhere rather than a local program is extremely convenient, beautiful and customizable invoice templates, payroll is super simple to set up and use, email reminders for invoices and estimates are easy to set up and use, Wave support was fast with little to no wait time, managing customers data is far less confusing than doing it yourself or adding them to your personal contacts, payment page for customers is easy to understand with only the basic info shown, personal payment page for each customer and invoice makes it easy and professional to send payment link to customers

What do you dislike?

Sometimes managing your books the UI can become unintuitive and unresponsive, the inability to add or mark a transaction as personal or business can become extremely frustrating, more options to customize your invoices would be nice (specific object colours, layouts etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Remember that the product is free and how much money you are saving on a monthly basis.

Creating and sending ending invoices now takes 1/4 of the time with Wave compared to using Excel, Tax time will go much faster as all of our transactions are automatically organized,

Associate Professional Counselor
Mental Health Care
(Myself Only)

"Everything I need for my small business accounting- and more!"

What do you like best?

Wave is a comprehensive accounting app that is easy to use, has great features, and is most importantly- completely free! It is all online, so it allows me to access my account anywhere from any device, which is very helpful when I am travelling or when I forget to bring my laptop to work. I have previously used QuickBooks Small Business, and Wave is completely comparable in my opinion- except for the monthly subscription fee! It allows me to run multiple kinds of reports, integrate with my bank and credit card accounts, and reconcile all expenses and income seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that Wave doesn't have a comprehensive mobile app available, at least for Android. Wave does have supplementary apps, like an app that allows you to upload and categorize receipts, which then integrate into the main Wave interface. However, it would be great if there was an app that allowed for more on-the-go accounting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! I have no complaints!

I am able to easily reconcile my business accounts any time, anywhere. I can also quickly run reports to help with my financial planning. My accountant also loves Wave and has no preference between it and Quickbooks for everything that she needs to use it for!

Customer Relations

"I can save customer profiles and they can save their payment info for auto billing."

What do you like best?

I love that I am able to save customers profiles and their billing information for easier future services. It is the little things like that help speed up processing time for customers. Every little bit helps. I like that it shows the invoices that are overdue separately making it easier to keep track of.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Wave. I love using it. Very user friendly.

I love that it keeps track of overdue payments. I also love that it keeps track of when the last time an invoice was sent and the last time a reminder was sent as well. That is another thing I love. I like that you are able to easily send reminders to customers for over payments. Keeping track of receipts is easier thanks to wave.

mr

"great software"

What do you like best?

The UI of Wave is exceptionally spotless with particular menu choices and segments that make exploring the stage genuinely basic. Most the majority of the instruments are clear as crystal enough for the vast majority of us to go in and use it without requiring broad preparing. We can make drawing in information filled reports inside seconds with Wave's custom report age instruments. We not just have every one of the apparatuses we requirement for standard bookkeeping and duty purposes, yet we can likewise produce solicitations and associate the majority of our bank and Mastercard records to move installment data totally on the web.

What do you dislike?

The underlying setup and expectation to learn and adapt was a bit tedious however I had almost no information of bookkeeping so took me longer. For the individuals who have utilized different stages it ought to be a breeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Total positive. On the off chance that you have to make gauges and solicitations for your independent company, at that point use Wave.

We required an accounting program that had the option to coordinate with our financial balance to spare time in the accounting procedure. It has spared us a lot of time in our month to month accounting process.

Founder/Designer
(Myself Only)

"A free alternative to Quickbooks"

What do you like best?

Wave is free to use unless you add on payroll or bookkeeping support. It's simple to use, allows you to invoice and accept payments, and gets the painstaking job of accounting done efficiently.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is not too exciting and invoicing design is limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Wave is a great accounting service to use for your small business. It's robust and plenty capable. If you're tied into the Quickbooks ecosystem you may not transition well but if you are starting fresh Wave is a great alternative to the Quickbooks giant.

Wave allows me to manage my accounting and accept payments from clients at virtually no cost outside of a payment processing fee which is close to industry standard.

Business Analyst

"Best (Free) hosted software for invoicing and account "

What do you like best?

Simple invoicing for small businesses and its hosted so it seeks the ease of small businesses for developing a invoice software and hosting that. its quite simple and easy to use for a normal employee with sort-cut popups.

What do you dislike?

Employee payroll is not available in indian currency. Also most of the things can not be deleted, like configured taxes ( It may be because of dependency ) as tax configurations been used for existing invoices.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If need is accounting software you can go with wave it gives good customization options for startups.

I remember wave got started as a invoicing software and we have started just for invoicing and now its a accounting software. We are now using for invoicing and tracking records of payments. It solved a problem of developing a software and managing all taking care by wave.

"Wave Apps is the most important service I use for my business"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Wave is that you can see at a glance how your business is doing, and compare it to last year. I've tried other accounting software and they don't come close to the information Wave gives you.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I don't like about Wave. It checks all the boxes I need to run my business AND it has features I don't need yet but will as my business grows.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is literally no downside to trying Wave, it's 100% free to use all the features, no trial, no tiered packages. Their paid version is exactly the same, except you get priority support. You can also pay for a Payroll service for $24/month, which I think is more than fair. Wave has transformed my business and I look even more professional because of their billing options. I can set my clients up with any type of billing schedule they like just like a larger company could and it's all automated!

The major problem I'm solving is having my books organized for FREE. Not only is it accounting software, the invoicing is amazing. I no longer need an invoicing software and an accounting software.

WordPress Consultant & Developer
(Myself Only)

"Great for new and experienced businesses"

What do you like best?

I like that Wave doesn't have overwhelming reporting and editing features. A lot of the times when you log into accounting programs it can seem overwhelming. Not with Wave, it's pretty easy with a little bit of help from some tutorials. I also like that I can send invoices and utilize the ACH feature which makes getting paid easy. Bonus points also to the new rebrand!

What do you dislike?

Honestly nothing I love that its free! Definitely think its worth a try!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely check it out you can start an account for free and test it out with your business. They even offer payroll options.

Getting my finances in order especially when I use multiple accounts its easy to tag and write notes inside of Wave for each transaction!

"Perfect for my Small Business"

What do you like best?

For my needs, Quickbooks is too expensive and complex. Wave has all the features I need without being overloaded. Plus, it's free! I was using Excel, and my small business quickly grew out of that. Shopping around, I was glad to find a free, feature-light version of accounting software.

Customer support has been very fast and friendly. Much better than my past experience with more expensive products. Any questions or speed bumps in the learning curve were answered quickly.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve to entering everything (like the date format). But once I got going, it's been great.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I was so glad to have found this free, easy product for my bookkeeping needs. I did use a couple of online tutorials from YouTube (not made by Wave) to learn to set up my bookkeeping. It also gave me the idea that there are lots of capable people using the product, so I saw this as a good thing.

I was using excel for all of my accounting. Wave's categories, reports and monthly reconciliation are a blessing! I've cut my accounting from 1-2 days a month to just a few hours.

Graphic Designer

"Free bookkeeping for freelancers"

What do you like best?

I love that this app is free! If you want to receive payments through the app there is a fee, but for keeping track of income and expenses, it's free, which is all I need as a small freelancer.

What do you dislike?

Uploading a receipt takes a long time to process (like I've always given up on waiting and the next time I come back it's finally there). And I can't edit/enter any of the receipt into until it's done processing. So that's annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're just starting out or have a small operation, this is a good starting place!

The software I was using to track my expenses before was on a hard disk download, but I didn't buy an upgrade every year and the last time I updated my computer, the software started crashing on me. So I needed to either upgrade or switch to something else. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in tracking my expenses, but wanted something that would keep track and save time with sending invoices. Wave seems to be doing both.

Owner
Accounting

"Overall good free product"

What do you like best?

The price tag can't be beat. You only pay to process payments or payroll. If you don't need either service it's 100% free to use. It has all of the basic features that a freelance or a small service-based business needs. You are able to have multiple companies and unlimited collaborators. The product is constantly being improved as I see offers to beta test new features and have benefited from several new features released during the years that I have been using it.

What do you dislike?

Upselling advertising that you can't get rid off, while it's unobtrusive and they have to make money somehow, I wish that I could hide it after a while. Customer support is very friendly and usually useful but only available via e-mail or chat so if you have an urgent concern there is no phone number to call.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You don't lose anything by trying it. Cost for payment processing and payroll is competitive, everything else is free. If you need inventory tracking, purchase orders, credit memos or class tracking, this isn't the product for you.

I used it when my business first started and I didn't have the funds for a paid service, I was so pleased with it that I kept using over the years and have helped clients implement it. Invoicing is easy, aesthetic and online payments are great and low-cost. It's very easy to configure recurring invoices and automatic payements.

Senior Account Manager
Facilities Services

"using of wave"

What do you like best?

I have been ising wave since long time ago and I have many other but no one like wave, the best thing from them is all the resources they imprements in just one software

What do you dislike?

The thing i donnot like is I would like more templates for the invoices, even so I use one with the colors of my company look cool

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommendating wave is a pleasure, this is the best for all that have to be with with accounting, billings, invoicing, payroll and more literally you won't need anything else in the administration part, just wave.

Alot of business issues I have before, in wave everything is well organize and recorded

"A flawless invoicing system with great reports to help my end of year tax return."

What do you like best?

The freemium pricing model. It's free to use the system, the only charge being if you want to accept payments by card which isn't something that I do with my business model. As I'm only accepting payments in cash/cheque/bank transfer, I don't actually pay any fees to Wave.

As someone in the UK, I also rely on Wave to give me my end of year income figures for Self Assessment - great reporting tools.

What do you dislike?

I really can't find any fault with Wave and I've been using it for years, including through a period that involved an update to the look and feel of the platform. I guess it's a shame that the integrations rely so heavily on Zapier rather than a free service like IFTTT or even a API for connecting with other services.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I very much recommend having an accountant professional or someone trained in accounts to set Wave up for you at the start. From a layman's point of view, Wave is very easy to set up, to link to your bank account, customise invoices etc but I think it's best to have someone "hold your hand" at the start so that you can be sure you're working correctly from then on. Of course, if you do it all right at the start then you'll save money when your accountant has to work less hours at the end of the year to reconcile everything!

No more invoicing spreadsheets and word documents to work with! No random folders on my computer filled with individual invoices that I've sent out!

"Great, simple, and perfect for small businesses"

What do you like best?

easy to use, super professional templates for invoices, and has kept my invoice history for the past few years making it easy to look back

What do you dislike?

The interface could be improved slightly as well as some of the templates could allow for more customization. But overall this is a great software to use for free. Can't complain really.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely the best software for the cost. Even with the the additional costs, it's still the best software I've found for small business owners. I looked at a lot of the big brand softwares that cost hundreds of dollars. But if you're providing consultancy services or working independently and just need to invoice folks from time to time each month, this a great alternative to using google docs or some word template. It reminds me of invoices overdue and remembers names, addresses, etc.

Invoicing and trying to keep on top of it!

Operations Account

"Software wave the best I used"

What do you like best?

Wave is awesome, the best wave is for free on what I need. And it gather just in one screen many options for administrating a company. just great to have wave in my company.

What do you dislike?

Is hard to think about something I don't like from vonage, like for real is amazing. Maybe when I send an invoice doesn't let me attahced another file

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend wave with my eyes close, Invoicing, billings, profits, overdue payment, I mean have everything just in one place.

Since I have wave the only thing I can think about is organization, my business is more organized, the bills are great and it looks very pretty.

"Wave makes sending invoices and collecting payments simple"

What do you like best?

I'm a fairly new user of Wave. I use it to send invoices to my clients. I found it to be very simple to use, the interface is nice and setting up different types of payment collection was easy. I'm currently on the free plan since my needs are limited. I was surprised that they offered credit card payments for invoicing on the free plan. I couldn't find other software that allowed me to take cc payments without signing up for a paid plan.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like it having to pay a credit card processing fee when my client pays by credit card. That's not necessarily the fault of Wave though.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try out their free plan to test their software.

Wave makes it possible for me to handle my own client invoicing. The benefits are streamlined payments from my clients.

Owner
Internet

"There Are Probably Better Options Out There, But This Is Free"

What do you like best?

I like the recurring invoices best, but even this could be improved. I have to wait for Wave's set time to see them reoccur instead of immediately after midnight on the date they are to recur.

What do you dislike?

I absolutely detest that if a customer overpays an invoice, it doesn't really keep track automatically and apply the overpayment to the next invoice that the customer receives.

There are workarounds for some things, but these are not always very handy. I also do not like that it is difficult to create your own accounts, for example, a separate "Gas" and "Electricity" expense account. There are some ways to create new accounts, but it's awkward, in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, you might like it. I like that it is free. But there are probably better options out there.

I use Linux for my desktop, and unfortunately, there are not a lot of accounting/book keeping applications for Linux. There is one that I used to use and really liked called Quasar, but unfortunately it won't run on some newer distributions. So Wave solves that problem for me in that I can continue to use Linux and have some of the features I want in an accounting app.

Owner & Process Improvement Consultant
(Myself Only)

"The best and easiest accounting and invoice tool ever"

What do you like best?

This tool has made it possible to operate very efficiently when managing my accounting and invoicing needs. I can login via Google Auth and link bank accounts (inluding Paypal & others) to import transactions. All I have to do is go in periodically and label the transactions (expenses/income etc..) and it will perform reporting for me. My quarterly sales tax and annual taxes are a breeze. Also, I use this to invoice customers & when they pay - it imports those income deposits so it's all centralized. I can save customer profiles and they can save their payment info for auto billing. Customer service is very responsive to all inquiries. They also have a payroll service available.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I wish I could do is null out the remaining balances on partially paid invoices without deleting the invoices if I choose to waive the remaining balance. Also - this is not a dislike but rather a feature wish - it would be magical if it integrated with more productivity tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an all-in-one solution. I highly recommend to others looking for something for their business.

I am able to have a centralized place for my accounting and invoicing that didn't take an arduous set up time. It was very user intuitive and make corrections as I go along and learn more about accounting best practices.

(Myself Only)

"Awesome for small businesses - and free!"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity and ease of use. The online platform is easy to navigate, and provides all the features that small business owners need such as client contact management, invoicing, payments, and more. You can connect to your email (to import contacts) and to your bank account as well (for automatic reconciliation and identifying type of purchase). Best of all - it's free!

What do you dislike?

Wave previously did not have a feature that was conducive to typing purchase orders. However, just within the past week alone Wave issued multiple updates and upgraded from their original platform. They now allow for a PO number to be entered on an invoice, however I don't believe this program is as intuitive if you needed to type POs as a large part of your business. I also am currently not sure what accountants think about this program (my accountant recommended Quickbooks) and how they will be able to navigate and pull the information needed for filing taxes. I also dislike how sometimes payments are recorded twice (by marking a payment on an invoice, and by having a bank deposit) - you have to manually go through and delete your bank deposit which can be cumbersome and confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it! You really don't have anything to lose and may prove to be exactly what a small business owner needs without having to pay big dollars for fancy book keeping software.

I am much more organized and able to easily track status of payments and invoices out to customers. I can even set automatic recurring reminders and receipts - which saves so much time! Clients can pay outside of the software, but there also are options to pay via credit card (2.9% fee - which is better than Square's rate I believe), or bank transfer (1% fee). I realized that this software is perfect for small businesses and SO awesome that it's free. I'm going to continue utilizing this program until (and if) my business ever outgrows it.

Assistant Director of Communications & Special Events
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Free and convenient"

What do you like best?

I like the invoice feature the best. I first got the software to send clean invoices for payment as my other project management software charged me more for more invoices.

What do you dislike?

I'm still trying to figure out the bookkeeping section. It's not as clean cut as other providers I have used so I'm hoping to utilize it more to have all my bookkeeping in one place.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since small businesses are their primary focus I think they should add more features for freelancers. It would be great to use it as a tool to project my taxes for the quarter. I pay for Quickbooks for this but would definitely switch to Wave for this.

I am trying to solve issues with invoicing. I want to not have to pay to manage my finances and my client's payments so this has definitely helped me with that. A benefit I have realized is accepting online payments straight through the system. I just use this for smaller projects because I don't want to pay more fees. I'm really excited about their new auto payment feature as well so I hope I can use that soon.

Senior Accountant
Aviation & Aerospace

"RIding the Wave"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use Wave Accounting. Even though I have a background in Accounting this product is easy to use for someone without much accounting knowledge. It is very easy to add a bank so that your financial data is synced with Wave.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I haven't found anything that I dislike about Wave.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a cost effective way to get your accounting done then this product is it. It is very easy to use and get paid using their invoice service. It is a great product plus you can download the invoicing app to your phone to track payments.

It allows us to track revenue and expense easily. We can also send an invoice with ease to customers.