Trillian Reviews & Product Details

What is Trillian?

Trillian is the best chat client for your desktop and phone.

Trillian Profile Details

Trillian Reviews

1-46 of 46 total Trillian reviews
Principal Owner
Accounting

"Replacement for MSN, simple and easy to use"

What do you like best?

- ability to have group conversations

- screen capture function which allows me to share whatever i am looking at to my colleagues

- replacement for MSN (for you oldies)

- able to have all the basic functions of a instant messaging tool, this includes video and voice call

- no annoying advertisements

- free! but do donate to the developers :)

- free of bloatware and viruses

What do you dislike?

- no shortcut for the screen capture function, this would be a nice feature

- no entertainment (games) like yahoo IM. -> this reduces bloatware though

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is definitely a software to look out for. It has potential of taking over the old MSN/Yahoo instant messengers. The most important thing is that, this software is free AND without any bloatwares AND there are no advertisements! However, do support by donating to the software developer. A cup of coffee wouldn't hurt ;)

This is a simple software which helps us communicate quickly in office, and even at home. The UI is extremely simple to use and is a substitute for skype for us.

Sales Associate
Entertainment

"A wonderful work application for communicating with co-workers"

What do you like best?

I love Trillian because it allows us in office to communicate with our many offices and remote sales people. It allows us to search our chats for printed orders and allows us to keep track of who is printing what to our main printer. It allows us to transfer files between each other easily.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that it doesn't allow you to search for other users within your organization. I know that there are others who use the messaging app but it would be nice to be able to see them. The mobile app is slightly frustrating because it sends me alerts even when I don't want it to. So when my phone is on vibrate it is a constant vibration. It seems to take a while to turn it off.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a wonderful instant messaging app. It allows for file transfers, importing of photos and documents. It is a effective and pretty seamless application. I can not comment on the price because it was purchased through our organization but it is definitely more efficient than other messaging apps I have used before (AIM, Google Chat).

We are able to track printed orders for shipping, customer pickup and invoicing. It is so much easier to have a conversation with another sales rep over Trillian when you are on the phone, or even trying to complete an order. We are also able to help each other with challenging sales orders which is extremely helpful.

CEO

"The only IM tool I need"

What do you like best?

I like having a single interface to exchange messages, images, files, etc., with all my colleagues, customers and friends - regardless of what IM tool(s) they use. Green means they are available now, yellow means they are away and gray means they are offline.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that anyone that is on Facebook now believes I am always available. If that bothered me more I would just remove my Facebook account. I wish there was a way to set status (like offline, Do Not Disturb, etc., for specific accounts instead of a global rule.

I have clients and friends who use instant message from Gmail, AIM, Facebook, etc. impossible to stay connected with all of them - until Trillian. Been using Trillian for over a decade and it provides a seamless interface that supports all my messaging accounts.

Communication & Design Manager
Sporting Goods

"Easy to use for multiple chat platforms."

What do you like best?

Chat with friends or colleagues on multiple platforms all in one place. Tabbed chat windows with access to Facebook Messenger, G-Chat, and AIM (which has been discontinued). Even allows for multiple Facebook Messenger accounts to be linked. You can even add Twitter, ICQ, Yahoo! Messenger, and more, if you use those.

What do you dislike?

Can sometimes disconnect from service or be clunky. Sometimes, images sent through Facebook Messenger do not come through.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Does not integrate with Skype, so if you use that you need to have it open as well. But for a free tool, it's easy to use and integrates with a lot of chat platforms available now.

Easily communicate with people using different platforms, without the need to download all of the various platforms or keep track of so many windows/applications.

"All in one platform you all your communication platform"

What do you like best?

The main benefit is that it supports major chat IM platform and it offers clean, less cluttered interfaces which is good for business use. It has a free version which easily caters communication requirements of small teams with less complicated requirements but still covers calls, file transferring, group chats etc..Also it's relatively cheaper to upgrade to Trillian Pro version with just $20.00 per year and it comes with loads of options to customize your app as per your liking.

What do you dislike?

One of the main issues I have found with frequent use is that it crashes more frequently than other IM platforms I have used.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great as a business communication tool. less cluttered and clean interfaces with essential options.

Day to day communications within the office are held using Trillian as I work for a work from home company.

QA Tester

"Great Concept"

What do you like best?

The ability to have my work contacts and my social contacts, Facebook in one convenient list that I can show or hide. Trillian perfectly filled the gap when Aim discontinued their service.

What do you dislike?

Trillian randomly has to be force quit while using Mac OS High Sierra. I would like to be able to access my previous chat history without having to open a new chat with contacts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is great for creating personalized groups, I would like to see compatibility with the Apple Watch, though, similar to Slack.

Trillian has made it easy for me to quickly see which of my business contacts are available. We frequently have to collaborate on projects that include file transfers, and so far Trillian has done very well there. It's convenient that Trillian has both a desktop application and an ios app, as I often keep tabs on work communications from my phone.

Productivity Assistant
Executive Office

"The thing with Trillian!"

What do you like best?

It's pretty fast and easy to use. I like the fact that it never gets frozen or slows down my PC at work. I like the fact that I can add different people on my team as well as the fact that I can sync it with 3rd party apps like Skype and GTalk which sometimes freeze and then you have to shut them down and restart them. I like that I can take a quick screen shot.

What do you dislike?

Transferring files is a bit issue because the only thing you can really do is send screen shots. I would like to be able to send excel files and word documents. The user interface is a bit complicated to use as well. too much clutter and the options to change the settings on volume, icon notification, emojis need to be presented in a different way when clicking the pop up for that part. The web chat option needs to get changed as well there is a lot of the design that can be redone.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try for your small business. It's a great and secure IM services to use.

I work as a remote EA so communication is my biggest issue when it comes to interacting with our members. Sending an IM is fine and we are able to get our point across in a very fast way but maybe adding something like a video recording and a little face to face time would help. Another good tip to add would be down revamp the user UX would be great as well. Make it more simple to use. Maybe add different types of icons.

Business Analyst

"Avid and experienced Trillian user. "

What do you like best?

There are many reasons why I like using Trillian, but the fact that I can use the app on any device that connects to the internet is invaluable. Many times I will be working remote or away from my laptop, and I can use Trillian on my phone or my tablet. Additionally, conversations can be merged and carried over from one device to another.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have an issue with accessing Trillian while connected to the VPN through work. I don't know if this is a setting that can be changed or if this is due to our network versus an issue with Trillian. There are workarounds to this though, because if the Trillian is not working on my laptop that is connected to VPN, I can use the Trillian on my mobile device.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mobile use defaults your Trillian user name to specify "Mobile" at the end of your user name, which is visible to your connections. If you want Mobile to be unspecified, you can modify this in the Settings. I would suggest new users to look through the Settings anyways, because there are many modifications that can be made to the default user set up.

All or any of the conversations can be archived and saved to a local location. It provides a great backup resource especially since we use Trillian at my job. If there are useful resources that were shared between Trillian conversations, these can be accessed from the History within the app or by looking up the archives.

Senior IT Recruiter
Staffing and Recruiting

"Aol's IM lives on in Trillian"

What do you like best?

It has a simple clean interface - it is indispensable with our office chats. We use the free version, and have no need for any of the "pro" features (like remembering ALL of your chat history).

What do you dislike?

When getting a new message, it would be nicer if there were something more prominent (like a popup). Instead the icon changes along the taskbar. Copying information from a chat window is slightly awkward, as copied text is NOT highlighted, but is magically in the clipboard for pasting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is free, so worth a try as a stable messaging platform.

We use Trillian for quick interoffice alerts, when email would be slower or more cumbersome. It is also easier to set up group chats than in email.

President

"Great private messaging platform"

What do you like best?

We started using Trillian's private messaging platform earlier this year at our company and it has worked great. The best feature is the ability to use the desktop client and mobile phone client at the same time and move from one platform to the other without losing the conversations you are having.

What do you dislike?

Audio settings are spread out across a few different settings screens, and I still haven't figured out how to turn off only the "LOL" laughing sound.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a free trial for 30 days. Give it a try, it won't cost you anything.

Security is the biggest one, being able to use an encrypted messaging platform. The public messaging platforms are also less reliable that Trillian has shown to be.

Owner

"Trillian old/new ways to stay in touch with team and friend."

What do you like best?

Fast and lightweight crossbrowsing messenger. That allow you to connect with team or friends from any device or location without loosing your chat history.

What do you dislike?

My trillian clients for Mac os and for Windows not updated long time ago. As I know Trillian switched to subscription membership, and not pay attention for users who paid for license time ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Here are two dozen different options for finding ways how to stay in touch with team and friends, but Trillian is worth to try (license is less than cup of espresso).

I/m online 24/7. I can connect form any device that I have near me right now. I have access to all needed team chat history.

Software Engineer

"What's Not To Love...?"

What do you like best?

Trillian is available in a web-based version & a desktop application (in the event something more feature-rich is necessary); compared to other similar applications it is not only long-lived but superior. A lifetime license is available and interoperability appears to be an ongoing priority.

What do you dislike?

There are circumstances under which connectivity via Trillian can be found insufficient (e.g. new features not included with a given chat network provider's API, lack of API connectivity offered by a given provider, etc.); under such circumstances there does not appear to be anything which Trillian can do to help...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try out IM+ and see which meets your needs.

Continued connectivity despite extraordinary stress on networks, applications, and even sustainable economics is something which Trillian has proved to help mitigate.

UE

"Great instant messaging system"

What do you like best?

Trillian is very user friendly and intuitive. It works like many other instant messaging apps, and I like that it has a function for group messaging. I like that I have the ability to set away messages, and change my status to a variety of different things.

What do you dislike?

Status updates do not always save, which is unfortunate. Also I dislike that it lets other users know when you are using the app from your cellphone vs. the computer. I wish there were an option so that you could decide whether or not you made that information available. Also the app works inconsistently on my cell phone. Not sure if this is just operator error, but I don't always receive notification when someone messages me through trillian on my phone right away. In addition, the way the app is structured it is unclear if I am signed on or not. Also it is difficult to search for people you may know.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to use and learn, no learning curve at all. Also very nice as it can be used on a computer or mobile device. However, mobile functionality is not quite as good as computer.

This helps my team stay in constant communication, and it makes quick check ins easier. It also allows me to know, without checking our team calendar if someone is available or not by looking at their status. As an office that works remotely 100%, apps like Trillian are crucial to make everyone feel connected.

(Myself Only)

"Quick, Easy, and Reliable Instant Messaging tool!"

What do you like best?

I really like that I can tell the status of the user with whom I'm chatting, as well as when they are responding. In addition, the history is very useful to look back at chats for information I need to review. Probably one of the biggest "likes" is that fact that Trillian lets you use different usernames from different services so that I don't need to use different IM tools to communicate with others.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really...I honestly have not found anything about Trillian to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is a great productivity tool for a remote work force. It's easy to install and set up and keeps communication flowing freely!

Quick and easy communication between team members/co-workers who work remotely. You don't always need (or want) to pick up the phone for just a quick info exchange...Trillian has allowed me to be more productive!

Senior Accountant
Real Estate
(10,001+ employees)

"Trillian in the workplace."

What do you like best?

I liked how you can change in the settings the notifications on and off as to when you get a new message if the message window screen pops up or stays minimized and just flashes with a highlighted color.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that when searching through the chat history, you can not simply search by word but must search by the date of the conversation and then you are able to search by the word.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is just like MSN messenger from back in the day.

it eased the communications difficulties between the office so that others were not just yelling out to you expecting to be answered right on the spot.

Customer Retention Quality Supervisor
Construction

"Good way to communicate at the office"

What do you like best?

The free version has enough features to handle all of our needs.

What do you dislike?

File transfers can be difficult. Also, it does crash every once in a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make use of all of the features.

We use the software to communicate between agents.

Director of Programs
Philanthropy

"great for teams working remotely"

What do you like best?

easy to use, great quick chat feature - interface is simple, users can customize their profile. We have staff all over a region and helps to keep in communication, gives us the virtual ability to "walk down the hall" and ask a quick question of our colleague.

What do you dislike?

sometimes the chat box is too small and would like to have list off who is on be at the top

gives us the virtual ability to "walk down the hall" and ask a quick question of our colleague - makes those working from home feel more apart of our main office

"Trillian is a great chat client that always works"

What do you like best?

I have never had an issue with Trillian. It just works. Easy to setup, and easy to use. It has really helped our business while we transition our chat platform.

What do you dislike?

Trillian does fall short with features that companies like Slack provides. The main thing they have going for them is the ability to use older chat services with their client.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is very easy to use and setup. It just works. I have never had an issue with it.

When I started this job, I inherited a pretty bad chat solution that our company was using. While we are looking for a permanent replacement for it, Trillian is able to keep us up and running. The client for the service we were using just doesn't cut it anymore, and Trillian allows us to keep what we have with minimal change needed for the end user.

Customer Care Specialist
Real Estate

"Trillian usage"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see if someone is available and send them a message and will receive a quick response.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the product.

None at this time. The basic benefit is to be able to speak with someone when you need a quick response and not have to use email.

Owner
(Myself Only)

"I like it "

What do you like best?

I like that you can manage from your desktop multiple social accounts and more. It makes it so much easier to keep track of your social networks. I use Twitter and Facebook a lot. And Trillian makes it easy to manage them daily through the program. I love you can see who is online on Facebook, and Tweets from Twitter. I also love the fact when a new message or tweet happens on either, it gives you a pop up on the screen, so you don't miss anything.

What do you dislike?

So far being a newer user of it, I like everything about it. No dislikes so far

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it!

The benefits are I don't have to have a window open for either Facebook or Twitter to see the latest news, messages, or tweets.

AE

"Heavy Trillian User"

What do you like best?

Trillian is a basic chat host. I like that it allows me to communicate quickly with my peers via individual and group chat. I also like that the admin side of Trillian is very simple.

What do you dislike?

The group chat functionality leaves something to be desired. Each time you make a group chat with a new set of users, Trillian saves the chat group to your home panel which IMO clogs it up; you can end up with hundreds of groups interspersed throughout your normal view of single users. I'd rather there be a "save" function where you can choose to save the group to chat to later.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is a great tool, but I don't see any features that make it stand out from other chat tools. For example, if a company is already on Google for Work, I see no need to switch over from Google Hangouts to Trillian. In other words, it's a fine solution for a company in search of a chat tool but not anything worth cutting up the contract with your current IM host. The exception to this may be price, I'm not the admin who establish the relationship so it could be cheaper than other IM tools, perhaps.

We are solving the ages old problem of slow inter-office communication. We are a service-center company with offices in the USA, Guatemala, and the Philippines, so being able to communicate and collaborate quickly across centers on client issues is key.

Instructional Design Manager
E-Learning

"Extremely useful messanger system"

What do you like best?

Trillian is an extremely easy messenger tool to use which is very similar to MSN messenger. It's easy to set up users and place them into groups, which makes communication very streamlined.

What do you dislike?

Would be great if you could transfer large files or have access to webcams, but for a free service you can't really complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this product if your organisation needs a simple messenger service without wanting to use FB messenger. Also can't complain due to it being free.

This is allowing us to easily communicate both inside our building and also with team members all over the globe. Really simple and easy to use interface makes it a great solution for everyone.

Medical Transcriptionist
Hospital & Health Care

"Not bad for IM"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Can stay in touch with this via IM for remote use.

What do you dislike?

I cannot say that I dislike anything. This is an easy to use IM program!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended!

We can communicate quickly my boss and I and hot have to check e mails all of the time.

Marketing Content Developer
Insurance

"I use Trillian at work to communicate with my co-workers."

What do you like best?

It is very simple to use and even allows me to send small files quickly.

What do you dislike?

It can be slightly difficult to find older conversations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It may be similar in features to other products, but I have had zero problems with it which I cannot say for similar products I have used.

It makes it quick and easy to ask a quick question, send a link, or even share a screenshot. Much quicker than an email or a phone call.

UO

"Great way to communicate with colleagues regardless of their messenger service of choice"

What do you like best?

I love that I have one tool where I can easily reach my colleagues for quick questions, regardless of if they prefer AIM, Yahoo, Google or other messaging tool.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike for a free tool. There are times I don't see alerts from the systems immediately, but that is likely more to do with my set-up than the tool itself.

As a remote employee, I don't have the opportunity to "pop-over" and ask team members a quick question. This tool is great for getting a quick answer. It is especially helpful to multi-task while on other conference calls or in meetings. I can often get the answer I'm looking for with minimal effort required.

I.T Helpdesk Technician

"Best Alternative Application for AIM services"

What do you like best?

At my work place, we use Trillian to get into our AIM chatroom. The AIM chatroom allows all of us technicians to communicate with each other and although there are many other choices out there for this type of service, we found this to just be the easiest for some reason and we've been using this method for many years. The original AIM application to me is trash and it's necessary to use a 3rd party application to connect to the service. Trillian offers themes, plugin ins, and extensive customization options which AIM failed to implement. It's also convenient that you can access your facebook messages through Trillian as well.

What do you dislike?

The theme selections are mediocre. A lot of times when others are using Trillian, their text effects will override your theme so things won't look right. The application does tend to freeze when attempting to close down completely. There's been times where Trillian failed to send an image to another person and I made sure the error is not occurring on AIM's behalf. It was a software issue and I sent bug reports to Trillian but never gotten a response.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure your chosen instant messaging service is supported by Trillian if you plan on not using Trillian's IM services or any of the included ones. There are plenty of other choices out there but when everybody is on the same page in terms of software use for communication, that can always end better than having different platforms on the same instant messaging network.

Communication with the entire staff at my work place and Trillian does a great job of allowing us to communicate without annoying issues we get with AIM that make the instant messaging service practically unbearable.

Cloud Services Engineer

"Only way to manage the flood of chat"

What do you like best?

The ability to connect multiple chat services in one location and can handle said multiple conversations at once without a great impact to system performance.

What do you dislike?

It can be blocked by basic security features unless heavily modified.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go with the advanced options and install and configure how you see fit, ensuring that your it team as well as security are both on board for using the product.

We only need to use trillian versus having several chat programs open at once. Coming from a split organization and moving to the merged org we now have this is a nice save and easy use product.

Senior Designer
Design

"Flexible messenging"

What do you like best?

This is a very mature and flexible messaging platform. It has many configuration options and customizable aspects that means it can appeal to a wide range of people pretty easily.

I also like the unified look of having all my messenging match. Plus not having to run several different apps at once.

What do you dislike?

Can be a bit finicky and sometimes a memory hog. Sometimes there is just too much in the UI that you get lost. However most of that can be corrected to your liking by customizing the settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Adium

Instant communication

AH

"Get's the job done."

What do you like best?

Simple installation, reliable service. Omits unnecessary (for our application) bells and whistles offered by some IM programs.Great price for this service.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes to date. Originally the group chat feature did not display the status of those included; however, that has been changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great basic IM service with no IT headaches.

IM has simplified and increased communication within the team aiding in better time management and fewer unanswered emails.

"One of the best IM tools I've used"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to have multiple messaging apps in one place. It's so convenient to be able to manage messages from social media and other IM programs in one screen.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could add Slack to Trillian. We recently switched to using Slack for our company based communication and there doesn't appear to be a way to add it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trillian is an easy, cost effective way to manage all messaging apps in one application.

Being able to communicate from remote offices is critical in my company. We have employees spread across the country, and having a single IM client is beneficial to everyone.

IT Consultant
Higher Education

"Trillian"

What do you like best?

Connects multiple IM clients so that I can use one software to communicate to multiple others.

What do you dislike?

Pro membership required for Chat History

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Web app doesn't connect to gchat, does connect to AIM and Facebook messenger.

Use to communicate with co-workers, I have a trillian user name for them and connect to other IM clients to communicate with non-trillian users

"Trillian Review"

What do you like best?

It's a simple chatroom. I like all the emojis.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the app version of it that pops up on my screen. It's clunky and annoying. So I use it on the Internet.

My company likes using it because it's simple. It's gotten everyone onto one platform, which helps communication.

"10 years of continued use"

What do you like best?

Centralized location for all communication. Any major IM protocol, along with email protocols. OTR chatting, video chatting, picture sharing.

What do you dislike?

Incredibly ugly UI. It might have been cool 5 years ago but it needs to change. Themes available aren't much help. Sometimes pictures just don't work. Sometimes OTR just doesn't work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Only useful if you have multiple channels of communication and need everyone able to use all of them at once. For some, there is no benefit to using Trillian over the cloud-provided chat services like Hangouts.

Been using trillian for a decade for most of my communication. It has quirks but I've been dealing with them the entire time and still consider it the best IM client out there.