GeoHECRAS

4.9

GeoHECRAS is an AutoCAD, MicroStation and ESRI ArcGIS compatible interactive 2D/3D graphical user interface data wrapper to the US Army Corps of Engineers HEC-RAS.

Work for GeoHECRAS?

Learning about GeoHECRAS?

GeoHECRAS Reviews

Showing 10 GeoHECRAS reviews
Mark L.

"GeoHECRAS is the best!"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and fast productivity. I can set up a model from scratch and determine flood elevations in 4 hours. That requires selecting the orthophoto and importing a CAD file to use as a background, importing contours (or LIDAR), turning them into a DTM (which it does very fast), drawing the reach centerline, cutting cross sections, inserting a crossing (if needed), turning on FEMA flood data (FIRM info), determine base flows using USGS Stream Stats inside the software (faster than using a web browser), and I have base flood elevations and floodplain mapping in 4 hours!

Technical Support is the best ever! They are always quick to reply to questions with a call. They call periodically to make sure all is well with the software. They provide updated software regularly that makes its use easier.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints. If I ever have a need, they take care of it quickly. They are a pleasure to work with to solve any issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will wish you had it sooner. It’s a huge time saver.

I do quick studies, where FEMA mapping does not exist, to determine how much of a property is developable for potential developers. I size stream crossings for “No-Rise” situations. I analyze floodways where they would be impacted by crossings. Mapping is updated by the click of a button for any changes.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about GeoHECRAS
Chris R.

"GeoHecRas"

What do you like best?

The fact that I can bring in elevation data, GIS shape files, ACAD drawings, Aerial Photographs such that I can easily create a workable HEC_RAS Model, then visually validate the model and its results to ensure it represents what is in the ground or soon to be constructed . I also appreciate the ability to export those results to ACAD or GIS makes it easy to update plans and exhibits. I also like the fact that I can bring in the effective FEMA's SFHA as a way to cross-check my work and review how what I am purposing will impact the floodplain within the study reach but also both upstream and downstream.

What do you dislike?

I have not really found anything that I dislike. I have occasional run into a quirk with the program. However, if I reach out to the folks over at the CivilGEO Inc., they come back with a solution in short order.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Continue working on the getting the two dimensional flow module running as well as the 1-dimensional version.

I use the product to map floodplains, evaluate drainage design impacts, complete federal insurance studies, develop models for the purpose of obtaining the necessary perimeters for quantifying scour depths.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

Jordan T.

"What we always hoped Hec-RAS would be"

What do you like best?

GeoHEC-RAS does a great job integrating GIS, CAD, and RAS into one easy to navigate platform. It substantially reduces the time and effort required to build a model from scratch or to add detail to an existing model. Everything exports back into a normal Hec-RAS file once you're done which makes it convenient for putting together your final review package.

What do you dislike?

GeoHEC-RAS is still a young software platform at this time. Its inevitable that you're going to have a few glitches in the software as new versions are released but their team is very responsive and will typically fix any bugs in the software and get you an update very quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give their free trial a shot and just play around in the software a bit. Once you see the functionality of the software first hand you will be sold.

GeoHEC-RAS proivdes a much more user friendly interface for Hec-RAS and has reduced our modeling times by nearly half. This allows us to turn out a higher quality product in less time that what we were able to do previously. When unique modeling challenges have arisen the team at CivilGEO has even helped us build specialized tools into the software to help s meet our design needs.

Leonardo S.

"Save valuable time"

What do you like best?

GeoHEC-RAS integrates a very powerful pre-processor, GIS and AutoCAD data import, and a very good post-processor. It saves us a lot of time by placing all the modelling requirements in one tool.

The technical support is fantastic. GeoCivil will provide technical assistance within minutes if I have an issue.

What do you dislike?

We are in Canada, so I would like to see the mapping capabilities extended to Canada. But it is a minor point that I can live with.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test your projects vs the other software, and you will see how easy GeoHECRAS is to use.

Flood risk mapping projects, bridge and culvert hydraulic design, dam breach studies.

Olaf E.

"GeoHECRAS makes me money"

What do you like best?

The ease of workflow and intuitive data input has increased my productivity and efficiency tenfold.

What do you dislike?

My experience with GeoHECRAS over the last 4-plus years has revealed very few problems or complaints. It would be nice to have a complete tutorial video included with the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Purchase with confidence. The technical support is unmatched.

I live in work in a very rural state with low population. Consequently, the majority of our state does not have detailed FEMA flood insurance studies. GeoHECRAS lets me produce a reasonable flood model for septic permitting at an affordable price for my clients.

Anna N.

"Amazing Piece of Software"

What do you like best?

The time savings aspect, so easy for me to upload CAD files and reload them whenever i make changes and it instantly appears on my GeoHECRAS screen. I can't function without it. My other favorite part is the technical support, they are always able to keep me up and running when I get stuck and are able to accurately answer all of my questions or needs.

What do you dislike?

Sometime I get carried away with the amount of files and surfaces I upload to one project and can slow the program down a bit, but takes a significant amount of files to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try for a few projects and you will see that you love it. I use their technical support on almost every project and it's incredibly beneficial.

It cuts our work time down into half, easily.

Scott H.

"GeoHECRAS"

What do you like best?

The user interface that allows you to easily make changes to the model on the fly. I also like the ability to incorporate georeferenced data from multiple sources. The customer support is excellent. I usually waited only minutes for a call back from an actual person in response to a question I had.

What do you dislike?

The search feature on the knowledge database. It is hard to find answers to some questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make use of CivilGeo's customer support.

The benefit of GeoHECRAS is saving time and increasing productivity on modelling projects because of the user interface features that allow on the fly changes and easy incorporation of data from multiple sources.

Asma H.

"GeoHECRAS Review"

What do you like best?

Reduces model step up time by 70%. Easy to use interface. Great tech support

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. The tech support team has been very supportive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth exploring, very beneficial.

Lowers the number of man hours need to construct a model. Easy to train employees.

CC
Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Great experience with Geo-HEC-RAS"

What do you like best?

The combined interface with GIS, LiDAR, and CAD data is very helpful in saving time. Making changes in the model is more seamless. Mapping and showing impacts of flooding is also much more seamless.

What do you dislike?

The mechanism for doing updates is difficult and time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get the updates method to be easier.

It saves time, helps provide easy transitions of data, easy graphical presentations, processes terrain data easily and smooths LiDAR well.

User in Civil Engineering

"It eases the designing task and more user friendly "

What do you like best?

It is very convienient to go with this application as it has the capability to export to ACAD and GIS. More over, it produces more technical assistance for a problems.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major things to oppose. Update process took too much of time. And sometimes it stucks during the tasks of surface processing.

As I am a trainee in my firm as well as student of the engineering university it eases my tasks and more user friendly. It helps my designing tasks to be completed among the busy schedule.

Learning about GeoHECRAS?

* We monitor all GeoHECRAS reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.