Civil 3D

Civil 3D civil engineering design software is a civil design and documentation solution that supports Building Information Modeling (BIM) workflows.

Work for Civil 3D?

Learning about Civil 3D?

Civil 3D Reviews

Ask Civil 3D a Question
Showing 142 Civil 3D reviews
Civil 3D review by Nafis I.
Nafis I.

"Advantage of Civil 3D software"

What do you like best?

It's a complete solution of Geometric design of highway, intersection design, drainage design. It helps anyone to prepare a quality enriched product with in a very short time. Can use GIS based Data and Infraworks data concurrently with Civil 3D. From importing field data to creating design, it has many powerful tools. From 2015 version they have deployed Bing map as a background. It is very helpful for designers. Sometimes in our company we have used this option, to conduct feasibility study, when Topographic data is not fully prepared. and as they have also tsudent versionavailable, which is completely free for students, It helps university learners to have this software easily. And thier product is available then other road design products in the market. Their community is huge and helpful. I have solved many problems by asking them questions. And every time I have found positive results.

What do you dislike?

3D visualization option need to improve on next versions. Need improvement on file size options. Sometimes the files are too heavy to handle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think those who want a complete solution for geomtery design, no need to try with other software. You can fully trust on Civil 3D to accomplish your tasks.

We have done a complete highway design project using this software within a very short span of time. It helps us to cut extra time as well as project cost. We have deliver our project on time and also this product is cost effective.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Civil 3D
Civil 3D review by Mike R.
Mike R.

"Tool Space is where its at!"

What do you like best?

I like the toolspace feature the best. When teaching C3D to new users, once its shown to them that everything that they need or looking for can be found on the tool space palette. The software suddenly becomes easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

Almost too many features. For new users most don't know the hidden key-in commands that are sometimes required in order to fix certain issues that arise. In my opinion you should not have to know these. Everything any one should know about should be available on the ribbon.

I work for FDOT in the CADD office. Getting people to get on board with C3D from MicroStation is a challenge. DOT has been using MicroStation for so long users don't want to learn something new. But new hires like Autodesk products because that is what is being used to teach at school. So that helps balance it out some what.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

Civil 3D review by mark c.
mark c.

"Autocad Civil 3D is the best design software I've used to date"

What do you like best?

There are many features I like, however the surface design features and editing tools are fantastic, as well as the ability to customize workspaces and tools. In recent versions the export/import tools have been improved as well, especially with respect to pdfs and other imgs.

What do you dislike?

I do think there are some areas that could be addressed. The main thing is the fact that the drawing file format changes every few years. Any version that is older than the most up to date version of CV3D can not open drawings and/or projects created with the most recent version. This creates a headache and hassle when trying to collaborate w/ other clients and companies who are using an older version of the software. It is unreasonable to expect everybody to instantly upgrade to the newest version of CV3D. It definitely needs to be backwards compatible, at all times. Integrating google earth for overlaying maps should be a priority as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would tell others don't hesitate if you are a Surveying/Civil Engineering company.

With CV3D we can provide concept to finish sets of plans, surveying, design, construction layout & staking and are the "one stop shop" for clients.

Civil 3D review by Libu T.
Libu T.

"easy, faster and good visualization effects"

What do you like best?

The main advantage of Civil 3D is that its very user friendly, easier to understand and easier to work on. Autodesk Civil 3D has so many Plugins which is connected to diffrent models we are working on which makes us design the drainage models in different softwares and easily load it in Civil 3D using different plugins.I am maily working on Drainage side and modelling. The models i prepare in Drawnet or Microdrainage can easily be loaded in Civil 3d and can easily be mdelled as it is compatibile with almost every design softwares. Even the highway design can done using Civil 3D. The main advantage is that the realistic visualization effects the Autodesk Civil 3D provides make the designing and the correction faster and eaier. The visualization makes it easy for us to find the errors on a regular basis and can be easily resolved. The user interface is so user friendly and self explanatory. Once you are used to the commands, the working will become more easier and faster. The autosave option is a lifesaver as the software might crash sometimes.

What do you dislike?

Spmetimes the Civil 3D will clash after showing some fatal error. So its always better to save the drawings on a regular basis rather than trying it to save it in the end. Takes time to load the drawings which are bit heavy and larger sized files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

once you are used to the interface, it will be easy to work on

Good visualization effects and good user interface

Civil 3D review by John-Mark P.
John-Mark P.

"Solid CAD package for Roadway Design"

What do you like best?

Easy to do corridor modeling, and easy to make changes compared to PowerGeopak

Good options for customization

Good integration with GIS, including ESRI products

Good integration with Infraworks, making it easy to go from conceptual design in Infraworks and import the concept into Civil 3D as a corridor model.

What do you dislike?

software crashes often

not as easy to use as Infraworks

Roadway design.

Benefits include better stability and ability to handle large datasets compared to 32 bit PowerGeopak.

Mandatory corridor modeling in order to build a roadway plan set (and cut cross sections) is a plus because having a 3D model of the roadway makes it easier to find things that could be issues during construction: i.e. curb ramp slopes, conflicts

Civil 3D review by Anthony  A.
Anthony A.

"Great Design Program"

What do you like best?

Customer service, product updates and support, easy to use, easy to modify the user interface, easy to make custom, routines, useful third party add-ons, great map features

What do you dislike?

can be glitchy at some times, layer control doesn't always work, no glossary to explain error messages, difficult to trouble-shoot for the average user, help could have more trouble-shooting tips and brake down the processes on editing styles

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are looking for a program that allows you to combine different file types from different design programs in one place to produce sets of detailed construction plans this is the product for you. It also allows for a lot of user customization and has a store full of useful third party add on's created within the AutoCAD Civil 3d program.

streamlines setting up and completing detailed sets of construction plans

Civil 3D review by Julio A R.
Julio A R.

"The recommendations I can give to others regarding the use of autocad civil 3d is the assurance of t"

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Autocad civil 3d is the approach of the projects from the topography, earthworks, parcelling, spaces for roads, housing and urbanization pipes, which greatly accelerates project execution times and reduces budget margins close to zero, everything in this program, excellent

What do you dislike?

There are very few things that I do not like about the Autocad civil 3d, among them are the large number of pre-established layers for the execution of projects, however they are editable, for this we must be very attentive to the work being done

Recommendations to others considering the product

First, the recommendations I can give to others regarding the use of autocad civil 3d is the assurance of the specifications that are introduced in the terrain model, because when having a terrain with faults in the survey, there will be a problem in the result of urban project planning.

se han resuelto problemas en cuanto a las superficies de las parcelas de una urbanización para 40 viviendas, lo cual incluye las parcelas, vialidad y aceras, en venezuela. también se efectuó los perfiles para el trazado de una tubería de 72 pulgadas en un complejo hidroeléctrico en ecuador. se realizó una evaluación de sedimentación en canales de navegación en aguas bajas en ríos con temporadas de aguas bajas, lo cual incide en el dragado de los canales navegables. se utiliza constantemente la herramienta de gota de agua para determinar la descarga del agua en pendientes

Civil 3D review by Bernard L.
Bernard L.

"From Terramodel to Civil 3D: A long journey"

What do you like best?

I like how C3D objects are linked together so that if the surface changes, the profiles change, and the cross sections change. Much easier to make edits without having to worry about all the other objects you have to change.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is pretty steep. It takes quite a while to learn everything. We didn't have anyone to help with templates and styles when we first started. That delayed getting going in the program. I have assumed that role for the last five years so I've had to learn the ins and outs of C3D.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is well worth it to make the switch. Get some help with the templates and styles to start, then learn as you go.

We are better able to work across multiple satellite offices in multiple locations since we are all using the same software now. There is a lot of power in C3D and great features.

Civil 3D review by Terry B.
Terry B.

"Civil 3D for municipal projects."

What do you like best?

The integrated data base. I know it has been around awhile but having started in Land Desktop where any change required you rebuild each piece of your model having changes cascade through the model is incredible. I do many more design iterations due to the fact that I get such quick feedback. Whoever built this Thank you.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see expanded tutorials or maybe classes on your products with overviews of what the designers envision the product being used for. InfraWorks looks like a great tool to use for initial public meetings however I am finding the tutorials lacking. Recruit some people who use the program to give a class their view is different then the software designers.

When I reset text style in MLeader the changes cascade, great .... until it resets all the attachment points that I have customized.

The GIS import shp is great I end up using it a lot. Take a look at the import data dialog box very clunky hard to select and deselect attributes to bring in. Also is it possible to create some sort of auto label and look at gdb files as we are using them more.

It has accelerated the time we can get projects out to bid.

"Civil 3D Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easy civil 3d is to use. While there are seemingly an unlimited number of commands, they are simplified by allowing the user to type them into the command bar instead of searching endlessly through a menu. I have not lived the days when drafting was done by hand, and I almost take for granted how easy and money-saving this software is for engineers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often the program seems to crash for my coworkers and I. It is almost daily that the program crashes without warning, risking losing work. Sometimes the Civil 3D will clash after showing some fatal error. So its always better to save the drawings on a regular basis rather than trying it to save it in the end. One thing in particular - you can't "demote" a data referenced object after promoting it. When I right-click on a data referenced object, "synchronize" is right next to "promote," and I have accidentally promoted objects with no way of undoing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make Geolocation a little easier to use.

I generate civil engineering design plans - utilities, drainage, etc. The obvious benefit is not having to draw everything by hand anymore. Civil 3D is the industry standard at this point.

Civil 3D review by Yvonne S.
Yvonne S.

"Civil 3D Technical Specialist"

What do you like best?

That I can fairly easily come up with conceptual to full construction documents with ease. Corridor design has gotten better but wish there was more easily ways to manipulate when design changes.

What do you dislike?

THE CRASHING! That it no longer is connected to google earth. I wish the corridor editor gave us more control. Grading features could use more ways to manipulate when design changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

use CADMasters for your reseller if your a small company with no IT department.

I've been forced to use this product as there is no other product on the market. As far as benefits, my clients like what I produce.

Civil 3D review by Agency
Agency

"Municipal User"

What do you like best?

Design while drafting - Gravity sewer revisions go much easier since Civil 3D. Labels and profile update as revisions are made and saved.

What do you dislike?

As Autocad has added features some have gone away. If you don't know the command codes you may never find them again. I also don't like that Civil and Map are separate. I wish many of the features were in the same platform, so you don't need to toggle between them and pay for them separately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up and implementing the Civil 3D templates can be daunting. I would recommend having templates and typical elements created for your company.

I don't design as much so I use autocad to verify as-builts and convert files into GIS. I wish the transition from Autocad into Esri ArcGIS would be more seamless.

Civil 3D review by Nathan W.
Nathan W.

"My experience has been smooth overall, but has some limitations. "

What do you like best?

I like how easy civil 3d is to use. While there are seemingly an unlimited number of commands, they are simplified by allowing the user to type them into the command bar instead of searching endlessly through a menu. I am able to complete very complicated design and analysis all in one program thanks to the advanced computing of Civil3d.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often the program seems to crash for my coworkers and I. It is almost daily that the program crashes without warning, risking losing work. This could be due to my computer, but it seems to happen to all of my coworkers and our machines. The issue isn't the crashing as much as it is the "fatal error" without warning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that you asses if you really need Civil3d or if you can get by with regular autocad.

Design for roads, developments, commercial sites, and small residential jobs. I also use the program to generate traffic diagrams and I love how seamlessly Civil3d integrates with Microsoft Excel to allow me to connect my data across different programs.

Civil 3D review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"AutoCAD Civil 3D"

What do you like best?

I like how much flexibility there is with how the user can accomplish things in general. There are multiple ways to do pretty much everything, and I am able to find what works best for me.

What do you dislike?

One thing in particular - you can't "demote" a data referenced object after promoting it. When I right-click on a data referenced object, "synchronize" is right next to "promote," and I have accidentally promoted objects with no way of undoing. Aside from that, there are some processes that could be programmed in a more intuitive way. I've also encountered some glitches that require me to close a drawing and re-open it, which wastes several minutes each time.

I generate civil engineering design plans - utilities, drainage, etc. The obvious benefit is not having to draw everything by hand anymore. Civil 3D and MicroStation are the industry standard at this point.

Civil 3D review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Only in the Name: Civil3D"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD has more superior on annotation function than other major CAD software.

What do you dislike?

Most of big companies are using it on the cloud and Civil3D is not design for the cloud. It need to be changed. In addition, AutoCAD Help is so not get to the point. For example, Google search is more easier than searching help in AutoCAD Help. It is like going inside of the maze. Autodesk knows what Civil Engineer does (You know the civil engineer's work flow), why CAD Help show how to do Profile, how to do grading, how to do surface, etc... Most importantly, even the professional Civl3D instructors who we hired to train us also lost in the process (steps).

We use AutoCAD Civil 3D to design subway train line, tunnel and underground train station. The benefit is Civil 3D get along with Revit which is our Architect use.

Civil 3D review by Kayden C.
Kayden C.

"Nice Design CAD."

What do you like best?

-Very easy software to get started.

-Accessible search option for commands searching enabling the user access the appropriate tools..

-It has high functionality.

-Clear commands shortcuts.

-Amazing ability of color changing on Line, Shapes etc.

-Creating of new Commands.

-Very customizable to all user style of working.

What do you dislike?

This product is quite helpful but sometime especially when working out a big project with a big size files, this software may misbehave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For any user to be able to get the best from Civil 3D, one should get to understand the use of each and every command or feature before commencing any activity with the software.

-In natural resources mapping process.

-Provision of drawing with accurate measurements.

-Time wastage management.

Civil 3D review by Alex F.
Alex F.

"Robust but Buggy"

What do you like best?

The versatility of the software is fantastic. You can have one file with multiple alignments, grading groups, drawings.

What do you dislike?

The setup of multiple sheets (pertaining to alignments) is convoluted and very painful. Point clouds are a fantastic addition to the program but when building large surfaces the program thins the data and doesn't use all the points. I don't mind this as using all the points would be taxing on a PC and make a file unusable, my problem is that it does this without telling the user. All that I'd like to see is a little warning triangle pop up on my screen telling me that the surface is large and not all points will be used. Or give me the option to force to use all the points.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Formal training is most definitely required for this product. It has a very steep learning curve which can't be reached without a fair amount of training.

Industry standard for civil engineering. Most of our clients and contractors know Civil3D and we are able to exchange files with little difficulty.

Civil 3D review by John T K.
John T K.

"Civil 3D Tool"

What do you like best?

This is a great tool for anyone looking to get into Surveying/Engineering or further their design skills and shorten the design time with association of AutoCad Civil 3D software tools. Revisions are made quick, easy and efficiently. Examples like changing an alignment of a road, storm structure or any other alignment allows the profile to change along with the modifications made. If you have structures, corridors and labels associated they too will be adjusted as well. If you are looking for a great efficient and effective software for surveying and/or engineering, this is the one for you.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately there are no such thing as a perfect tool/software and there are some down sides. The complexity of the software, things get embedded deep and are sometimes hard to find or remember where to find them for customization. Preferences there will always be, so if you are looking for a specific style or setup, I would suggest hiring an expert or get additional training in customizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like anything new or different there is a learning curve, so I would recommend training or training software, find as many support groups. Especially sign up with Lynn Allen's blog, she is the AutoCAD Guru.

You have always heard the phrase, "Time is Money" and that is so true to any and all businesses. So, this is the effectiveness and more efficiently building and creation of the dynamics of AutoCAD Civil 3D objects. You are able to achieve the surveying/ engineering plans within half the time it take just using any old 2D CAD software. AutoCAD has made my life less stressful and more effective with great advancements in my career.

Civil 3D review by Jackson J.
Jackson J.

"Design better civil engineering infrastructures."

What do you like best?

-Civil 3D performs faster design iterations and streamline time consuming tasks.

-Drafting and documentation capabilities enables me connect design to documentation to help boost productivity and delivers higher quality.

- collaboration features help me overcome team coordination and work flow challenges within civil infrastructure projects.

What do you dislike?

I have no any reason to dislike with Civil 3D performances

Recommendations to others considering the product

Civil 3D streamlines tasks, helping maintain more consistent data and process to improve project delivery and decision making.

Civil 3D software supports BIM (building information modelling) for enhanced civil engineering design and construction documentation.

Civil 3D enables me use visualization, simulation, and water analysis tools which are integrated with the design process to improve project delivery and decision making

Civil 3D review by Administrator

"Intuitive. Quick, Reliable"

What do you like best?

Prepackaged typical designs make initial designs quick and effective. Quick access to outside datasets allows designers to quickly get background information and setup. Online forum support is moderated so if your questions do not get asked, someone from Autodesk will reach out to you.

What do you dislike?

The software is a little lacking in design data for small subdivisions and rural utilities. Need more input of standard parts and features of most standard based structures and parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is not the end all but Autodesk does listen to their constituents. Providing constructive feedback usually opens the doors to discussions with product team members.

We lay out new water and sewer services and treatment. Streamlined thought processes from start to finish

Civil 3D review by Saad S.
Saad S.

"Short, fast and to the point. "

What do you like best?

Its best for all trades from Civil, Landscape, MEPs, you name it because it has many different options for users to use. Some of the best options is that it is simple to use and easily to learn.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that its hard to get family like Revit and have objects that are ready made to place on the drawings. You have to go towards something like Revit which has actually doors and window sizes so you can visualize your building more clearly.

Creating floor plans for hotels, libraries, and also floor plan for schools. I've realized Civil 3D is not universal but the fact that its under AutoDesk allows it to be compatible with all of AutoDesk other products. That's the beauty of it if you cant get certain things in one software you can get it in another and transfer it.

Civil 3D review by Chad V.
Chad V.

"Civil 3D Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of the tools provided. It makes it very easy to draw shapes, lines, circles. The help option is very useful for executing a command that one maybe unsure of.

What do you dislike?

The commonality of some of the work spaces. It's very easy to be working and forget what workspace you are in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your compute is a 32-bit machine at minimume. It requires a lot to run. Also can be tricky if working between previous versions of Civil 3D to most current version.

Ability to draw lines, check asbuilts, track vehicle/aircraft movements.

"Efficiency and Agility"

What do you like best?

I love all the tools available at my disposal. There are things that might be new to me and I wonder if the tools are available and I'm often pleasantly surprised to find what I need is there.

What do you dislike?

This isn't really a knock on the actual program, but it does get bogged down sometimes. Especially working with surfaces and feature lines. I might be trying to undo something, and it'll just crash.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use it, you lose it. It helps to continually practice and use the tools available or it takes more time to re-learn.

I'm finding ways to more efficiently grade an area or a site to cut down on earthwork costs.

Civil 3D review by Ethan O.
Ethan O.

"Perfect Roadway Designing CAD."

What do you like best?

-Easy deployment of of Civil 3D and getting used.

-It allows the user to customize it to get its best services.

-User can create new commands on Civil 3D.

-Ability to use any color of your choice on lines etc.

-Commands shortcuts are very visible to the users.

What do you dislike?

Civil 3D has been very useful into our organization and i can not say i got any issue with this tool.

But it can crash anytime when working on huge projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Civil 3D is a very reliable tools used by Engineers and Architects for designing and drafting of different projects.

-Production of clear and understandable documents.

-Skills sharing between professionals.

Civil 3D review by User

"Civil 3D m'a permis de gagner beaucoup de temps dans la conception "

What do you like best?

Facilité dans la gestion des points (relevé topographiques)

Générer des surfaces.

Facilité dans le tracé des réseaux souterrains (égouts, aqueduc,...) pour la conception aussi bien en plan et en profil. La possibilité de faire des sections le long de l'alignement.

Mise en plan et en profil ainsi que les annotations

Faire des surfaces projetés à partir des corridors

Calcul des remblais et déblais

What do you dislike?

Les labels qui ne s'ajustent pas en paper space pour les présentations.

Les texts quand on fait des Acad ne s'ajustent pas selon le USC de la vue reliée à la présentation

La grosseur des fichiers pour les transmettre aux clients

Recommendations to others considering the product

Je recommande l'utilisation de civil 3D pour l'apport positif dans la conception et la livraison des projets de qualité.

Gain de temps considérable pour livrer les projets.

Calcul des quantités de remblais et déblais et ajuster ainsi la conception.

Civil 3D review by Trey G.
Trey G.

"Not a Fan"

What do you like best?

The grading tool is about it, other than it beat drawing with pencil. I'll never be convinced that C3D is a better product Carlson.

What do you dislike?

Not enough characters, not much I like about the software. The surfaces are cumbersome and are difficult to use, especially when doing earthwork. No tool to use dview twist easier. No reason to use UCS if in Civil/Survey business except for very special cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at Carlson, better product and easier to use. If you really use the product to do more than draw lines and circles, honestly think there are better options for civil design and surveying.

The only benefit is not doing drawings by hand. I'm not at all a fan of Civil 3D and wouldn't use it if company used another software package,

Civil 3D review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

"Civil 3D - THE Vector program for Spatial Information"

What do you like best?

I like that you are able to use projected coordinate system in the program, and you can convert from one to another.

What do you dislike?

There is so much that you can do with this program, but you can't simply install and go. Training is essential, but there are many ways to do that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this program to anyone in Civil/Surveying, and who has a need to convert spatial projections with vector data.

Spatial interpretation and having the ability to match a projected coordinate system to different coordinate system. Exporting of World Files to use CAD data to increase data interoperability.

Civil 3D review by Fernando F.
Fernando F.

"Road design using Civil3D"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Civil 3D is constantly updating and bringing new tools and capabilities. It's used world wide and their user base is huge. It has a great variety of tools to get your job done.

What do you dislike?

I still dislike a bit the corridor modelling. I think it's still a bit rigid. You need an alignment, a profile and an assembly to create a corridor but after built, I'd like to see more flexibility in individual corridor feature lines manipulation and fine tunning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worldwide used. Almost an industry standard. Lots of training and support available.

I work for a municipality and we are constantly challenged to creat cost-effective designs in constraint locations. Civil 3D has helped me achieving such designs.

Civil 3D review by Addie M.
Addie M.

"Great program for students to learn engineering designing "

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of sketching designs and having them transferred to professional documents. The shortcuts are very clear and the help section can go into depth when you are struggling. The dark background and ability to change line colors can help ones eyes.

What do you dislike?

The part I find myself and fellow classmates struggling with most is getting the font to change and to the correct size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for civil design. Can be designed in 2D or 3D and the program will help whichever route you take.

A nice platform for infrastructure design. Can benefit all in a Project to visually understand the design from Engineer to field.

Civil 3D review by Jake P.
Jake P.

"Bread-and-Butter for Transportation Engineering"

What do you like best?

For most civil engineering projects, AutoCAD Civil 3D is a number one choice for alignment design, corridor modeling, quantity calculation, sheet plotting, and many more. I have not lived the days when drafting was done by hand, and I almost take for granted how easy and money-saving this software is for engineers. The recent version of the software has had positive improvements such as highlighting objects as you hover over them, showing dimensions of the objects when you lock into the pick box, etc.

What do you dislike?

The software itself and the file can be very large in size, so it may get unstable and crash at times. Civil 3D has become better at saving the latest copy of the working file in the event of a crash, but still can improve more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in this business, there is no other software that matches this capability. Even if you are not in this line of work but curious about drafting and 3D modeling, this is a great software to try out. With some online tutorials, you can learn this software quickly.

As an engineering consultant, I provide engineering services and solutions for my clients in both private and public sectors. I use Civil 3D for the entirety of the roadway design projects. It is one of the few programs that I always have turned on when I am working. This software literally makes my work possible.

Civil 3D review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Good product, but a little moody"

What do you like best?

I really like the dynamic objects and the method used for changing styles. The GIS capabilities are excellent.

What do you dislike?

This application lacks major development for nearly a decade. It is very difficult to manage from an IT/Support side. Installations are a bear, and the uninstalls are a hot mess. This application does not differentiate Feet from Survey Feet, and mixing units is a disaster. The idea of each file being its own "island" is 3 decades old, and the recent "improvements" to this end are meek.

This application solves the usual issues of needing to create projects. It's sister application, Infraworks, is showing greater potential to this end. It is obvious that Infraworks gets the development time.

Civil 3D review by User in Design
User in Design

"I have worked with AutoCAD Civil 3D since 2009, for land surveying functions."

What do you like best?

At first, this software was actually dangerous for land surveyors to use, and the developers heard about it. Autodesk has done a fantastic job of adapting their product to the needs of surveyors and civil engineers so that it is beneficial to both design and survey.

What do you dislike?

The more automated survey functions become, I fear the less skilled surveyors will become, thus devaluing the profession.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have an IT staff that understands it fully and can set up the standard templates to make it work as effectively as possible.

We are able to use this software in a way that minimizes 'maptraps' and other forms of error in land survey drafting. That is a great benefit.

Civil 3D review by Scott G.
Scott G.

"President"

What do you like best?

Ability to customize everything with styles. Also can change the user interface and create new commands.

What do you dislike?

Ability to customize everything takes a long time to learn and implement. I do not think I will ever complete this task. I am always changing or revising something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN HOW TO CUSTOMIZE

Create a Record of Survey with all the record and measured dimensions on all Lot lines can create a migraine. With Civil 3D and a lot of up front customization, each Record of Survey is produced is very short order.

Civil 3D review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Autocad Civil 3d - Modern Software for modern needs"

What do you like best?

I love that autocad civil 3d has a very intuitive and easy to use design, all while appearing very modern. Some other softwares look outdated and are not nearly as intuitive. I also really like the compatibility with many different file types and the fact that you can export your drawings to many different file types as well.

What do you dislike?

I think sometimes civil 3d could make it a little easier to link files with geographic information, as I sometimes have trouble lining up my drawings geographically and it can take some time to figure out where the issues lie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you take advantage of the many online resources that exist to help in guiding you through the software as well as troubleshooting. The various forums often have answers from Autocad engineers and software developers that are up to date with the latest software versions.

Mapping of natural resources.

Civil 3D review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"Powerful, but Complicated"

What do you like best?

This program is very powerful and is great for numerous applications. I use it to create building plans and topographic surveys, as well as to perform various calculations in a more timely manner than calculating by hand. An example would be the calculation of volume between the existing topography of a site and the designed topography. The detail that creating a surface can get into is quite extensive, which makes it powerful, but also makes it difficult and time-consuming to troubleshoot errors.

What do you dislike?

My issue with this program is that it can be very complicated to figure out and often times is slow. It needs to be reworked for usability, intuitiveness, and efficiency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Microstation, much easier workflow.

I use it to create building plans and topographic surveys, as well as to perform various calculations. Often times, it is significanty more efficient than calculating by hand.

Civil 3D review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"Huge capability and an industry leader, but needs time to be learnt!"

What do you like best?

The wide-ranging ability to digitally create anything in 3d form, but not losing the capacity for intricate detailing. Bringing in survey data is very easy and allows you to quickly model real surfaces.

What do you dislike?

The scrollbar on almost every sub-menu is tiny and very hard to use as it does not respond to arrow keys! The program is not always intuitive (typing the name of an instruction can be a guessing game) and often there are too many ways of doing the same task with different names!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in certified training. This is not MS Office and will not be learnt overnight with the aid of the internet. That said, there are very good resources online on the Autodesk website for tutorials and help, but these work best as a complement to existing knowledge and training, not as an introduction.

If you do not need to work in 3D, then Civils 3D may be more than you need, and it is likely that both in terms of pricing and ease of operability, it would be more beneficial to select a simpler AutoCAD package.

We needed Civils 3D for two main problems. Firstly to visualise renewable energy projects in 3D in photomontages - a task well served by other programs for conventional wind and solar technologies, but not for more complex installations such as green gas or battery storage. Secondly, we needed to arrange infrastructure at the micro-scale (less than 1m) amongst civil engineering features such as drainage, holding ponds, earthworks and road layouts. All these civil aspects needed modelling in 3D and were subject to constant changes that affected the infrastructure pieces. Civils 3D allowed us to deal with both these problems as well as realise additional benefits such as earthworks volume calculations, surface rendering, Highways gradient and turning radius checks.

Civil 3D review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"easy to use for the inexperienced CAD user"

What do you like best?

When I started using Autodesk products 15 years ago, I knew nothing about CAD. It has been easy to use to return to when I take breaks from using the software as well. Updates to make it more compatible with ArcGIS products is a bonus.

What do you dislike?

I would like a way to easily export all the layers involved in an MXD to their own shapefiles quickly - not just what has been selected or turned on/off, but to easily say "export all lines to shapefiles according to their Layer name. So linework on a Roads layer would be exported to a Roads.shp, etc.

Ease in measuring lines and providing a drawing with specific dimensions.

Civil 3D review by Michal K.
Michal K.

"Constant Fatal Error"

What do you like best?

Its cheaper than Bentley equivalent. Its very complex and dynamic tool. I like integrity with AutoCAD. You can easily use CAD environment within Civil without additional hassle. In latest version I like ribbon the best. However i got use to type in commands - it's much quicker this way. Its a great tool to work on different aspects of civil design. From surfaces to cross sections - easily manage any sort of sketch out of it.

What do you dislike?

Due to its dynamic nature it also has a lot of flaws. Fatal Error is very common. I can't say for sure for latest versions, but it was the main reason I never considered picking it up as a main tool and went with Bentley instead, BUT! now with Openroads it will be very similar workflow and I think it might be step back for Inroads in future design thus making Civil more likely pick in a market again. I really don'r like when after an error pops out most of the recent work is probably lost in like 50% of cases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For large scale design consider dividing it to manageable chunks.

It's hard to describe problem solving where this software wasn't picked because exactly of that it gave us additional problems to solve. Sometimes errors were appearing in exactly the same spots and it was impossible to move on rather than make things in CAD. We have the software installed optionally, so we can operate on imported files.

Civil 3D review by Aaron P.
Aaron P.

"Absolutely love the efficiency of the tools within Civil 3D "

What do you like best?

Civil 3D is by far the most efficient and productive civil engineering and land surveying software available. With its ability to update 3D objects once one of its counterparts are revised, makes life a lot easier. For example if a roadway alignment changes, the user can make the alterations to the alignment and its profile, corridor and any other associated 3D object will adjust a well. Even the annotation! The “Field to Finish” survey feature is a time savers as well. Once you have the survey data base setup, you can import your field points and the program draws the line work for you using survey figures. The survey figures can be used as line work in your drawing and break lines for your surface. I could go on and on about all the great productive and time saving feature included in Civil 3D.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love Civil 3D there are always improvements to be made. Creating custom subassemblies can be overwhelming and the initial setup of styles and templates does take some time. Pipe Networks and Pressure Pipe Networks are constraining. The generic parts and pipes that come with the program are not always what the local agency or client are looking for. There are work arounds though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Commit to it and you will never look back.

As-built drawings are more efficiently created with the dynamic of Civil 3D objects. Time is money and being able to create civil engineering and land survey plans within more than half the time it used to take is a huge benefit. Keep up the great work Autodesk.

Civil 3D review by Jeremy J.
Jeremy J.

"AutoCAD Civil 3D"

What do you like best?

Corridor Modeling is among the top on my list. It is very intuitive and fairly easy to debug. The dynamic abilities between corridors and displaying cross sections makes for clean construction documents without a massive headache of having to label everything. It generates a surface for you that does not require very much maintenance.

What do you dislike?

Pipe networks are finicky. There a whole bunch of issues associated with Pipe Networks that starts with displaying pipes in profiles. It is not the most intuitive and changing pipe slopes is a long difficult process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is lag time with doing certain functions so a strong processor should be sought after to handle the work load for Civil 3D.

We are solving business problems associated with plan review and approval. The tools we have with Civil 3D allow for shorter analyst time charged to projects while maintaining the consistency across construction plans. The result is shorter reviews and expedited construction.

Civil 3D review by KaDe K.
KaDe K.

"Excellent, full-featured civil engineering software"

What do you like best?

Civil 3D's annotation and labeling tools are the best in the industry! Additionally, the relationships that are automatically built between the various object types (surfaces, alignments, pipes, corridors, cross sections, etc...) significantly reduce the amount of work needed to create a plan set. It is relatively easy to transition AutoCAD users to Civil 3D since it is built on the AutoCAD platform.

What do you dislike?

The eTransmit tool needs to be updated for use with Civil 3D, it doesn't always handle data shortcuts and files with issues properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend hands-on training with the software, along with an expert mentor working with your employee on specific project needs as you ramp up. I also recommend that you have at least two people in your organization that can "manage" the implementation of the software, including managing the Civil 3D styles and template.

Civil 3D reduces the amount of time needed for drafting and design on Civil Engineering projects. The amount of time needed on design iterations is drastically reduced.

Civil 3D review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"Cadd Manager C3D review"

What do you like best?

I like the dynamic abilities of the software. Everything is linked and if one object changes everything associated to that object updates as well. The Flexibility of to have so many people working on a project at the same time. I like that it is incorporated into AutoCAD.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it is a graphics, memory and processor hog. If you have a larger drawing it can boy down the machine. Autodesk 360 interferes with some of our networking software. I has a steep learning curve even if you have used Land development Desktop for years. It take time to lean how to set it up to use the software efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use an outside consultant for the transition. Follow the recommendations as much as possible. Leaning the tools, and having training guides on hand helps. Practice, Practice, Practice. Only use the tools necessary to get the job done. Some of the tools can be overkill for smaller projects.

Keeping files sizes down and separating things civil 3d objects into smaller chunks of data utilizing more external references and data shortcuts. We are working on our drawing structure and file management. The smaller the drawing size the better the software works.

Civil 3D review by Archie D.
Archie D.

"This review focuses on Civil 3D from a geo-technical aspect rather than a Land Development aspect."

What do you like best?

AutoDesk products are the most used and are the most taught in schools. This means that people are more likely to be trained on an AutoDesk product. Also, Civil 3D is an extension of basic AutoCAD so all of the commands used for AutoCAD work in Civil 3D. This means that it is easy for users to migrate to Civil 3D if they have experience with basic AutoCAD.

What do you dislike?

Yearly releases mean that AutoDesk products frequently have bugs, many of which appear after a new release that were not there in previous years. Stability is an issue I experience nearly every day. I crash at least once a day. AutoDesk does have support for us, but many times issues are not resolved unless a new release fixes the issue. I often wish that they release new products every 2-5 years with annual patches to fix existing issues as opposed to a new paid release annually.

Also, working in the geo-technical field we are forced to take the tools of Civil 3D and use them creatively for our purposes. Typically Civil 3D is made for land development and corridor designs. In our field of gypsum stacks and coal ash piles, corridor tools are rarely used as intended, but instead used as target surfaces at specific grades for example. Complaints about better geo-technical support has been voiced many times to AutoDesk but rarely do we see an improvement. The 2016 release has added a geo-technical module that helps with boring logs, but it is very limited in ability to customize the styles that it produces.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Civil 3D is a great product due to being so widely used. Importing and exporting to other programs is usually able to be done so that your clients should be able to accept your files and work with them no matter the software they use. Pricing might be a bit excessive, especially for smaller firms due to the annual releases. To stay up-to-date with the newest, most efficient tools it could cost you yearly. Subscription plans are available though.

After learning how to adapt the tools in Civil 3D to use in the geo-technical field it has sped up production of projects immensely. After having a design model created and then modified, all plan views cross sections, and profile design line-work update automatically. Once that happens the user only needs update labels and hatches.

"Robust Software"

What do you like best?

the versatility of the software has increased so much over the past few years. It is my goto software for civil design related tasks

What do you dislike?

the pressure piping components are severely lacking in regards to functionality and are hit/miss for production use. Some elements work one day but fail the next and it is inconsistent in its failures.

land development is the primary use of the software and by being able to integrate road, and piping design I can create my entire projects on one platform.

Civil 3D review by Purva G.
Purva G.

"Autocad a civil drafting software"

What do you like best?

Autocad is best software used for engineering drawing. Its a drafting softing for machine and building design. Time saving and can give very minute details can make layers. Make corrections and changes in design easily.Make tables in that . It also has truss and few designs built in already.

What do you dislike?

Not available easily i feel. We cant copy paste in autocad software.

I am student so all my engineering drawings are done on autocad it saves lot of time instead of drawing on paper. In my internship i have used this software too.

Civil 3D review by Justin R.
Justin R.

"Great program for Civil Design"

What do you like best?

I really like all of the tools to create Civil engineering plans. The dynamic typing of different commands is great.

What do you dislike?

I wish sometimes it were a little easier to learn because there are so many options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take time to get to know the different commands way to accomplish the same goal. Learn from others and their tips and tricks.

It helps me create Civil Engineering plans for clients.

Civil 3D review by Gerald H.
Gerald H.

"Civil 3D is a valuable tool for the Civil Engineering Industry"

What do you like best?

the 3D surface modeling, how the Civil 3D objects are dynamic (real-time) in relationship with alignments and their associated profiles.

What do you dislike?

the time spent getting all the settings, styles and templates setup to work in it, however, you only need to do that one time. Also, the frequent crashes and lockups that usually happens at the most inopportune times during your design. Make sure you have the best system you can get to run this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you research on what you need to get the settings, styles and templates in order to get your company productive. the time spent ahead of time will ease your use once you are working in the software.

Once we have transitioned from Land Development Desktop to Civil 3D, the time to do frequent design changes have drastically reduced due to using the Civil 3D functionality.

Civil 3D review by Lee. M.
Lee. M.

"Excellent working with online tech to install and fully document the install"

What do you like best?

So many different features and add on programs all built into one package

What do you dislike?

Install takes between 3 and 4 hours. Would have been nice to have a silent install but i also understand the install with so many programs as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this new product comes with so many tools and ease of use it will certainly be more than you need all in one package

Both our Engineering and Planning departments are able to maintain our municipalities needs without any issues.

Civil 3D review by Rachel Y.
Rachel Y.

"Easy to use but crashes often"

What do you like best?

I like that it is user friendly and most commands are common sense. I also like that it is very simple to create alignments and profiles.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it crashes often and it doesn't save automatically, so you may need to start over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using this product if you cannot get Microstation and Inroads. This product crashes frequently so make sure to save your work often!

The benefits of Civil 3D is that it has the same features as Inroads but on a different platform.

Civil 3D review by Kevin K.
Kevin K.

"Extensive user for site development projects"

What do you like best?

It's powerful tools for grading, site modeling, and earthwork.

What do you dislike?

It has it's moments where it will lock up and crash.

Whether a site is feasible to be developed and show through 3D modeling how the end product will look. The 3D modeling gives the designer assurance of their work by being able to visualize what is shown on plan view.

Learning about Civil 3D?

* We monitor all Civil 3D reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.