Civil 3D

Civil 3D civil engineering design software is a civil design and documentation solution that supports Building Information Modeling (BIM) workflows.

Work for Civil 3D?

Learning about Civil 3D?

Civil 3D Reviews

Ask Civil 3D a Question
Showing 147 Civil 3D reviews
Nafis I.

"Advantage of Civil 3D software"

What do you like best?

It's a complete solution of Geometric design of highway, intersection design, drainage design. It helps anyone to prepare a quality enriched product with in a very short time. Can use GIS based Data and Infraworks data concurrently with Civil 3D. From importing field data to creating design, it has many powerful tools. From 2015 version they have deployed Bing map as a background. It is very helpful for designers. Sometimes in our company we have used this option, to conduct feasibility study, when Topographic data is not fully prepared. and as they have also tsudent versionavailable, which is completely free for students, It helps university learners to have this software easily. And thier product is available then other road design products in the market. Their community is huge and helpful. I have solved many problems by asking them questions. And every time I have found positive results.

What do you dislike?

3D visualization option need to improve on next versions. Need improvement on file size options. Sometimes the files are too heavy to handle.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think those who want a complete solution for geomtery design, no need to try with other software. You can fully trust on Civil 3D to accomplish your tasks.

We have done a complete highway design project using this software within a very short span of time. It helps us to cut extra time as well as project cost. We have deliver our project on time and also this product is cost effective.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Civil 3D
Mike R.

"Tool Space is where its at!"

What do you like best?

I like the toolspace feature the best. When teaching C3D to new users, once its shown to them that everything that they need or looking for can be found on the tool space palette. The software suddenly becomes easy to understand.

What do you dislike?

Almost too many features. For new users most don't know the hidden key-in commands that are sometimes required in order to fix certain issues that arise. In my opinion you should not have to know these. Everything any one should know about should be available on the ribbon.

I work for FDOT in the CADD office. Getting people to get on board with C3D from MicroStation is a challenge. DOT has been using MicroStation for so long users don't want to learn something new. But new hires like Autodesk products because that is what is being used to teach at school. So that helps balance it out some what.

What Civil Engineering Design solution do you use?

mark c.

"Autocad Civil 3D is the best design software I've used to date"

What do you like best?

There are many features I like, however the surface design features and editing tools are fantastic, as well as the ability to customize workspaces and tools. In recent versions the export/import tools have been improved as well, especially with respect to pdfs and other imgs.

What do you dislike?

I do think there are some areas that could be addressed. The main thing is the fact that the drawing file format changes every few years. Any version that is older than the most up to date version of CV3D can not open drawings and/or projects created with the most recent version. This creates a headache and hassle when trying to collaborate w/ other clients and companies who are using an older version of the software. It is unreasonable to expect everybody to instantly upgrade to the newest version of CV3D. It definitely needs to be backwards compatible, at all times. Integrating google earth for overlaying maps should be a priority as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would tell others don't hesitate if you are a Surveying/Civil Engineering company.

With CV3D we can provide concept to finish sets of plans, surveying, design, construction layout & staking and are the "one stop shop" for clients.

Libu T.

"easy, faster and good visualization effects"

What do you like best?

The main advantage of Civil 3D is that its very user friendly, easier to understand and easier to work on. Autodesk Civil 3D has so many Plugins which is connected to diffrent models we are working on which makes us design the drainage models in different softwares and easily load it in Civil 3D using different plugins.I am maily working on Drainage side and modelling. The models i prepare in Drawnet or Microdrainage can easily be loaded in Civil 3d and can easily be mdelled as it is compatibile with almost every design softwares. Even the highway design can done using Civil 3D. The main advantage is that the realistic visualization effects the Autodesk Civil 3D provides make the designing and the correction faster and eaier. The visualization makes it easy for us to find the errors on a regular basis and can be easily resolved. The user interface is so user friendly and self explanatory. Once you are used to the commands, the working will become more easier and faster. The autosave option is a lifesaver as the software might crash sometimes.

What do you dislike?

Spmetimes the Civil 3D will clash after showing some fatal error. So its always better to save the drawings on a regular basis rather than trying it to save it in the end. Takes time to load the drawings which are bit heavy and larger sized files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

once you are used to the interface, it will be easy to work on

Good visualization effects and good user interface

Kylien K.

"As a mechanical engineer, civil 3D plays a great role in my career"

What do you like best?

Civil 3D is a great tool for any engineering designing and engineering drawing. I use it whenever I am making any kind of designs and what I mostly love is the ease to which I can make adjustments to my drawings at any time. The tools and features are intuitive and anticipate all my engineering needs. The support is great and whenever I need to make a design I am not familiar with all I need to do is do a little online research from the vast online resources.

What do you dislike?

The technical nature of civil 3D makes it a very practical tool to use but also a very challenging tool to learn. However having mastered most of it, I can say its a simple and interesting tool to use, with a friendly user-interface.

Civil 3D has made my design work so simple to carry out and has made designing and drawing quite fun.

Daequan M.

"Civil engineering models in one click"

What do you like best?

Civil 3D is a program that offers all the functions and features necessary to design and create different engineering models. One of its best features is the ability to modify existing models without having to start from scratch, which makes the work a very pleasant experience.

What do you dislike?

One of the less pleasant things about Civil 3D that should be improved, is to be able to use drawing files of old versions in the current versions, and thus be able to create without difficulties the model that you have in mind, taking into account past works.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is the ideal program for those looking to develop models and designs in terms of construction. Its tools and functions are really simple to use and facilitate the work, which makes this a very effective software for professional projects and high quality.

Civil 3D has allowed me to make better designs for the required building models at Pixeljig. The features and functions of the program have allowed me to give my finished projects better final touches that meet the quality standards of the clients.

John-Mark P.

"Solid CAD package for Roadway Design"

What do you like best?

Easy to do corridor modeling, and easy to make changes compared to PowerGeopak

Good options for customization

Good integration with GIS, including ESRI products

Good integration with Infraworks, making it easy to go from conceptual design in Infraworks and import the concept into Civil 3D as a corridor model.

What do you dislike?

software crashes often

not as easy to use as Infraworks

Roadway design.

Benefits include better stability and ability to handle large datasets compared to 32 bit PowerGeopak.

Mandatory corridor modeling in order to build a roadway plan set (and cut cross sections) is a plus because having a 3D model of the roadway makes it easier to find things that could be issues during construction: i.e. curb ramp slopes, conflicts

Sarah W.

"Flexible 3D companion"

What do you like best?

Great alternatives for customization, Good mix with GIS, including ESRI items. Client administration, item updates and backing, simple to utilize, simple to alter the UI, simple to make custom, schedules, valuable outsider additional items, extraordinary guide highlights. Great coordination with Infraworks, making it simple to go from applied structure in Infraworks and import the idea into Civil 3D as a passageway model. Sharing of the venture archives inside the included individuals for supposition sharing.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet to disdain about Civil 3D. The product has been doing magnificent occupation up until this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest for modelers like me and for any client to have the option to get the best from Civil 3D, one ought to get the chance to comprehend the utilization of every single order or highlight before beginning any movement with the product.

Smooth work process from drafting venture plans to 3d structuring sparing much time and cost. Likewise creation of expert records and increasingly different advantages. The undeniable advantage isn't drawing everything by hand any longer. Common 3D is the business standard now. Plan for streets, improvements, business destinations, and little private occupations. I additionally utilize the program to create traffic graphs and I adore how flawlessly Civil3d coordinates with Microsoft Excel to enable me to associate my information crosswise over various projects. Arrangement of illustration with precise estimations.

Anthony A.

"Great Design Program"

What do you like best?

Customer service, product updates and support, easy to use, easy to modify the user interface, easy to make custom, routines, useful third party add-ons, great map features

What do you dislike?

can be glitchy at some times, layer control doesn't always work, no glossary to explain error messages, difficult to trouble-shoot for the average user, help could have more trouble-shooting tips and brake down the processes on editing styles

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you are looking for a program that allows you to combine different file types from different design programs in one place to produce sets of detailed construction plans this is the product for you. It also allows for a lot of user customization and has a store full of useful third party add on's created within the AutoCAD Civil 3d program.

streamlines setting up and completing detailed sets of construction plans

Julio A R.

"The recommendations I can give to others regarding the use of autocad civil 3d is the assurance of t"

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Autocad civil 3d is the approach of the projects from the topography, earthworks, parcelling, spaces for roads, housing and urbanization pipes, which greatly accelerates project execution times and reduces budget margins close to zero, everything in this program, excellent

What do you dislike?

There are very few things that I do not like about the Autocad civil 3d, among them are the large number of pre-established layers for the execution of projects, however they are editable, for this we must be very attentive to the work being done

Recommendations to others considering the product:

First, the recommendations I can give to others regarding the use of autocad civil 3d is the assurance of the specifications that are introduced in the terrain model, because when having a terrain with faults in the survey, there will be a problem in the result of urban project planning.

se han resuelto problemas en cuanto a las superficies de las parcelas de una urbanización para 40 viviendas, lo cual incluye las parcelas, vialidad y aceras, en venezuela. también se efectuó los perfiles para el trazado de una tubería de 72 pulgadas en un complejo hidroeléctrico en ecuador. se realizó una evaluación de sedimentación en canales de navegación en aguas bajas en ríos con temporadas de aguas bajas, lo cual incide en el dragado de los canales navegables. se utiliza constantemente la herramienta de gota de agua para determinar la descarga del agua en pendientes

Bernard L.

"From Terramodel to Civil 3D: A long journey"

What do you like best?

I like how C3D objects are linked together so that if the surface changes, the profiles change, and the cross sections change. Much easier to make edits without having to worry about all the other objects you have to change.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is pretty steep. It takes quite a while to learn everything. We didn't have anyone to help with templates and styles when we first started. That delayed getting going in the program. I have assumed that role for the last five years so I've had to learn the ins and outs of C3D.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is well worth it to make the switch. Get some help with the templates and styles to start, then learn as you go.

We are better able to work across multiple satellite offices in multiple locations since we are all using the same software now. There is a lot of power in C3D and great features.

Terry B.

"Civil 3D for municipal projects."

What do you like best?

The integrated data base. I know it has been around awhile but having started in Land Desktop where any change required you rebuild each piece of your model having changes cascade through the model is incredible. I do many more design iterations due to the fact that I get such quick feedback. Whoever built this Thank you.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see expanded tutorials or maybe classes on your products with overviews of what the designers envision the product being used for. InfraWorks looks like a great tool to use for initial public meetings however I am finding the tutorials lacking. Recruit some people who use the program to give a class their view is different then the software designers.

When I reset text style in MLeader the changes cascade, great .... until it resets all the attachment points that I have customized.

The GIS import shp is great I end up using it a lot. Take a look at the import data dialog box very clunky hard to select and deselect attributes to bring in. Also is it possible to create some sort of auto label and look at gdb files as we are using them more.

It has accelerated the time we can get projects out to bid.

"Civil 3D Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easy civil 3d is to use. While there are seemingly an unlimited number of commands, they are simplified by allowing the user to type them into the command bar instead of searching endlessly through a menu. I have not lived the days when drafting was done by hand, and I almost take for granted how easy and money-saving this software is for engineers.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often the program seems to crash for my coworkers and I. It is almost daily that the program crashes without warning, risking losing work. Sometimes the Civil 3D will clash after showing some fatal error. So its always better to save the drawings on a regular basis rather than trying it to save it in the end. One thing in particular - you can't "demote" a data referenced object after promoting it. When I right-click on a data referenced object, "synchronize" is right next to "promote," and I have accidentally promoted objects with no way of undoing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make Geolocation a little easier to use.

I generate civil engineering design plans - utilities, drainage, etc. The obvious benefit is not having to draw everything by hand anymore. Civil 3D is the industry standard at this point.

Yvonne S.

"Civil 3D Technical Specialist"

What do you like best?

That I can fairly easily come up with conceptual to full construction documents with ease. Corridor design has gotten better but wish there was more easily ways to manipulate when design changes.

What do you dislike?

THE CRASHING! That it no longer is connected to google earth. I wish the corridor editor gave us more control. Grading features could use more ways to manipulate when design changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

use CADMasters for your reseller if your a small company with no IT department.

I've been forced to use this product as there is no other product on the market. As far as benefits, my clients like what I produce.

Agency

"Municipal User"

What do you like best?

Design while drafting - Gravity sewer revisions go much easier since Civil 3D. Labels and profile update as revisions are made and saved.

What do you dislike?

As Autocad has added features some have gone away. If you don't know the command codes you may never find them again. I also don't like that Civil and Map are separate. I wish many of the features were in the same platform, so you don't need to toggle between them and pay for them separately.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Set up and implementing the Civil 3D templates can be daunting. I would recommend having templates and typical elements created for your company.

I don't design as much so I use autocad to verify as-builts and convert files into GIS. I wish the transition from Autocad into Esri ArcGIS would be more seamless.

Nathan W.

"My experience has been smooth overall, but has some limitations. "

What do you like best?

I like how easy civil 3d is to use. While there are seemingly an unlimited number of commands, they are simplified by allowing the user to type them into the command bar instead of searching endlessly through a menu. I am able to complete very complicated design and analysis all in one program thanks to the advanced computing of Civil3d.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often the program seems to crash for my coworkers and I. It is almost daily that the program crashes without warning, risking losing work. This could be due to my computer, but it seems to happen to all of my coworkers and our machines. The issue isn't the crashing as much as it is the "fatal error" without warning.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend that you asses if you really need Civil3d or if you can get by with regular autocad.

Design for roads, developments, commercial sites, and small residential jobs. I also use the program to generate traffic diagrams and I love how seamlessly Civil3d integrates with Microsoft Excel to allow me to connect my data across different programs.

UA
User in Architecture & Planning

"AutoCAD Civil 3D"

What do you like best?

I like how much flexibility there is with how the user can accomplish things in general. There are multiple ways to do pretty much everything, and I am able to find what works best for me.

What do you dislike?

One thing in particular - you can't "demote" a data referenced object after promoting it. When I right-click on a data referenced object, "synchronize" is right next to "promote," and I have accidentally promoted objects with no way of undoing. Aside from that, there are some processes that could be programmed in a more intuitive way. I've also encountered some glitches that require me to close a drawing and re-open it, which wastes several minutes each time.

I generate civil engineering design plans - utilities, drainage, etc. The obvious benefit is not having to draw everything by hand anymore. Civil 3D and MicroStation are the industry standard at this point.

User in Civil Engineering

"Only in the Name: Civil3D"

What do you like best?

AutoCAD has more superior on annotation function than other major CAD software.

What do you dislike?

Most of big companies are using it on the cloud and Civil3D is not design for the cloud. It need to be changed. In addition, AutoCAD Help is so not get to the point. For example, Google search is more easier than searching help in AutoCAD Help. It is like going inside of the maze. Autodesk knows what Civil Engineer does (You know the civil engineer's work flow), why CAD Help show how to do Profile, how to do grading, how to do surface, etc... Most importantly, even the professional Civl3D instructors who we hired to train us also lost in the process (steps).

We use AutoCAD Civil 3D to design subway train line, tunnel and underground train station. The benefit is Civil 3D get along with Revit which is our Architect use.

Kayden C.

"Nice Design CAD."

What do you like best?

-Very easy software to get started.

-Accessible search option for commands searching enabling the user access the appropriate tools..

-It has high functionality.

-Clear commands shortcuts.

-Amazing ability of color changing on Line, Shapes etc.

-Creating of new Commands.

-Very customizable to all user style of working.

What do you dislike?

This product is quite helpful but sometime especially when working out a big project with a big size files, this software may misbehave.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For any user to be able to get the best from Civil 3D, one should get to understand the use of each and every command or feature before commencing any activity with the software.

-In natural resources mapping process.

-Provision of drawing with accurate measurements.

-Time wastage management.

Alex F.

"Robust but Buggy"

What do you like best?

The versatility of the software is fantastic. You can have one file with multiple alignments, grading groups, drawings.

What do you dislike?

The setup of multiple sheets (pertaining to alignments) is convoluted and very painful. Point clouds are a fantastic addition to the program but when building large surfaces the program thins the data and doesn't use all the points. I don't mind this as using all the points would be taxing on a PC and make a file unusable, my problem is that it does this without telling the user. All that I'd like to see is a little warning triangle pop up on my screen telling me that the surface is large and not all points will be used. Or give me the option to force to use all the points.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Formal training is most definitely required for this product. It has a very steep learning curve which can't be reached without a fair amount of training.

Industry standard for civil engineering. Most of our clients and contractors know Civil3D and we are able to exchange files with little difficulty.

John T K.

"Civil 3D Tool"

What do you like best?

This is a great tool for anyone looking to get into Surveying/Engineering or further their design skills and shorten the design time with association of AutoCad Civil 3D software tools. Revisions are made quick, easy and efficiently. Examples like changing an alignment of a road, storm structure or any other alignment allows the profile to change along with the modifications made. If you have structures, corridors and labels associated they too will be adjusted as well. If you are looking for a great efficient and effective software for surveying and/or engineering, this is the one for you.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately there are no such thing as a perfect tool/software and there are some down sides. The complexity of the software, things get embedded deep and are sometimes hard to find or remember where to find them for customization. Preferences there will always be, so if you are looking for a specific style or setup, I would suggest hiring an expert or get additional training in customizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like anything new or different there is a learning curve, so I would recommend training or training software, find as many support groups. Especially sign up with Lynn Allen's blog, she is the AutoCAD Guru.

You have always heard the phrase, "Time is Money" and that is so true to any and all businesses. So, this is the effectiveness and more efficiently building and creation of the dynamics of AutoCAD Civil 3D objects. You are able to achieve the surveying/ engineering plans within half the time it take just using any old 2D CAD software. AutoCAD has made my life less stressful and more effective with great advancements in my career.

Jackson J.

"Design better civil engineering infrastructures."

What do you like best?

-Civil 3D performs faster design iterations and streamline time consuming tasks.

-Drafting and documentation capabilities enables me connect design to documentation to help boost productivity and delivers higher quality.

- collaboration features help me overcome team coordination and work flow challenges within civil infrastructure projects.

What do you dislike?

I have no any reason to dislike with Civil 3D performances

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Civil 3D streamlines tasks, helping maintain more consistent data and process to improve project delivery and decision making.

Civil 3D software supports BIM (building information modelling) for enhanced civil engineering design and construction documentation.

Civil 3D enables me use visualization, simulation, and water analysis tools which are integrated with the design process to improve project delivery and decision making

"Intuitive. Quick, Reliable"

What do you like best?

Prepackaged typical designs make initial designs quick and effective. Quick access to outside datasets allows designers to quickly get background information and setup. Online forum support is moderated so if your questions do not get asked, someone from Autodesk will reach out to you.

What do you dislike?

The software is a little lacking in design data for small subdivisions and rural utilities. Need more input of standard parts and features of most standard based structures and parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is not the end all but Autodesk does listen to their constituents. Providing constructive feedback usually opens the doors to discussions with product team members.

We lay out new water and sewer services and treatment. Streamlined thought processes from start to finish

Saad S.

"Short, fast and to the point. "

What do you like best?

Its best for all trades from Civil, Landscape, MEPs, you name it because it has many different options for users to use. Some of the best options is that it is simple to use and easily to learn.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that its hard to get family like Revit and have objects that are ready made to place on the drawings. You have to go towards something like Revit which has actually doors and window sizes so you can visualize your building more clearly.

Creating floor plans for hotels, libraries, and also floor plan for schools. I've realized Civil 3D is not universal but the fact that its under AutoDesk allows it to be compatible with all of AutoDesk other products. That's the beauty of it if you cant get certain things in one software you can get it in another and transfer it.

Chad V.

"Civil 3D Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of the tools provided. It makes it very easy to draw shapes, lines, circles. The help option is very useful for executing a command that one maybe unsure of.

What do you dislike?

The commonality of some of the work spaces. It's very easy to be working and forget what workspace you are in.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure your compute is a 32-bit machine at minimume. It requires a lot to run. Also can be tricky if working between previous versions of Civil 3D to most current version.

Ability to draw lines, check asbuilts, track vehicle/aircraft movements.

Learning about Civil 3D?

* We monitor all Civil 3D reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.