Bazaar Reviews & Product Details

What is Bazaar?

Bazaar is a version control system that helps you track project history over time and to collaborate easily with others.

Bazaar Screenshots

Bazaar Reviews

1-5 of 5 total Bazaar reviews

Bazaar Reviews

1-5 of 5 total Bazaar reviews

"A good alternative to SVN and GIT"

What do you like best?

Bazaar allows you to create a shared repository for develop code. It's interesting when there are lots of persons developing together.

What do you dislike?

in general it fulfills its function, but it's a bit difficult to maintenance and administration, basically the permissions of the users and the rights with the different branches.

But the main problem of bazaar, is that there are no releases since 2011!!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's alternative to GIT a SVN. Maybe now it's not the best option, is without maintenance since 2011

Allow a good service of version control, and allows different developers to work collaborative

(10,001+ employees)

"Yet another Version control system"

What do you like best?

Git-like version control. Collaborating with others.

What do you dislike?

I came from 'Git', CVS, SVN and perforce background. It took so much of time for me to understand the 'bazaar' concepts. I found it so confusing. May be because I didn't find many tutorials about bazaar. Also, none of the teams in our company use bazaar. I had to work on a project and was forced to work with bazaar since that project needed it. It's confusing. Branching is not easy to understand. I don't find any major advantages compared to a simple Git.

Working on a Canonical related open source project. Had to use bazaar since that project needed it. I really wonder what benefits that project maintainers got by using bazaar instead of a simple and widely used git. Personally, I have not realized any benefits.

Software Engineer

"A simple version control system"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to use and it's distributed. It's easier to get started with if you never used a DVCS

What do you dislike?

No clear concept of repo and branch, in general every branch is a repo and every repo is a branch. You can only use on Launchpad

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use Bazaar, use git or mercurial instead as they are truly distributed and are the de-facto standards in the industry. Bazaar gives to the illusion of being distributed but it's like an improved version of SVN. I used it because it was the VCS the company I worked at used, but they've migrated to git.

Versioning our code and allowing developers to work in parallel without conflicting with each other changes.

Expert Senior Enginner
(10,001+ employees)

"Love Ubuntu GNU/Linux Community ? Learn Bazaar !"

What do you like best?

Support from Canonical, everything is clearly detailed. Also this Source control management tool is decentralized, like git, mercurial or others. this mean you can live and work outside a centralized server.

What do you dislike?

It's not much used outside Ubuntu community, I don't really see any benefit to use it for my own, I'd rather use git which has an enormous user base and also supporting other tools. So I don't plan to invest more time on learning bzr but rather improve my git skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at git/bzr backend it can be useful to use your favorite tool and change the backend to bazaar (or others).

If you're looking for a host server, lunchpad,net comes to my mind first, but I think sourceforge.net is suporting GNU Bazaar.

I tookover maintainance of a little ruby gtk utility which was already integrated into Ubuntu, Sources where relocated from private CVS repo to Bzr and hosted on Lunchpad.

Software Developer

"Painfully slow"

What do you like best?

It had a great concept and the ideas sounded good.

What do you dislike?

I cringed when I had to deal with projects that used bazaar. It suffered from a very poor implementation.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider using git. Bazaar, from what I can tell is no longer developed or actively maintained.

I was a lone developer/user. I wasn't working for a business, but when I compiled my own software, the projects that used bazaar always seemed to break often.

The thing I disliked most about bazaar is that it was painful slow at cloning a repository. I appreciated git much more and even mercurial had a huge speed advantage to bazaar. Even relatively small repositories would take the better part of an hour to clone. A similar size repo in git would take only about a minute. It was a headache dealing with bazaar from day one.

The other thing that kept me from recommending it to people was the fact that its community was very small and diminishing by the day. When emacs started to jump ship, I know this software was in trouble.

Bazaar User Ratings