4.3 out of 5
(1,230)
Do you work for MySQL?

MySQL Reviews & Product Details

What is MySQL?

MySQL is an open source database solution.

MySQL Profile Details

MySQL Profile Details

Oracle
Description
Oracle Corporation develops, manufactures, markets, hosts, and supports database and middleware software, applications software, and hardware systems.
1977

MySQL Reviews

1-50 of 1229 total MySQL reviews
MySQL review by Jeff C.
Human Resources

"very good option for database"

What do you like best?

it is really very easy to use in addition to being very intuitive, in a short time you can easily create a database for any application you need, it is a fairly stable system that makes it profitable to create large-scale applications

What do you dislike?

I do not like that if you do not have a good quality server it becomes slow to handle hundreds of users at the same time. some functions of MySQL slow down the queries of traces could get to ignore some data as to date. when the database is really large (millions of records) it is less efficient than other business systems

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend it to create database on a small or large scale because it will be efficient and will save you a lot of time

the usability fiction saved us a lot of time and money when creating our database. since it has good functions to import tables this helped to implement the database that we needed very easily.

MySQL review by alejandro l.
ing de sistemas

" excellent database manager for web"

What do you like best?

Speed ​​when performing operations, which makes it one of the managers with better performance.

Low cost in requirements for the elaboration of data bases, since due to its low consumption it can be executed in a machine with scarce resources without any problem.

Ease of configuration and installation.

Supports a variety of Operating Systems

Low probability of corrupting data, even if the errors do not occur in the manager itself, but in the system in which it is.

Its connectivity, speed, and security make MySQL Server highly suitable for accessing databases on the Internet

What do you dislike?

A large percentage of MySQL utilities are not documented.

It is not intuitive, like other programs (ACCESS). also, for the elaboration of queries in related tables is very impractical and orthodox since it does not have help assistants that speed up and facilitate the work, all the queries and sentences must be written manually this makes the work slower and more with accuracy the sql language

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is ideal for our web projects because by definition this software is highly compatible and trained for these, it is fast, easy to connect and offers security in the data that is recorded, but you must connect and be proficient in the sql language because it is very manual

MySQL is a very fast database when reading the non-transactional MyISAM engine, in web applications there is low concurrency in data modification and the environment is intensive in reading data, which makes MySQL ideal for this type of applications is for this reason that I use this softare for the development and design of web applications where the connectivity of the databases with php projects is very easy and fast. the data in these projects have security and traceability

MySQL review by THOMAS K.
Software Engineer

"Best in class database management system in the market"

What do you like best?

We are using MySQL for all our projects as it is the most suitable and easy to use database out there. MySQL is simple, easy to install, configure and easy to setup connection to. We are more over happy with the use of this product as it helps to meet all our needs. All our clients are happy since the database never crashes and is up all the time. We are also impressed with the speed and capability of MySQL to concurrently query and give results.

What do you dislike?

The one major fail is that it is relational based, if they could introduce document based database then I am more happy to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Database Management System for all types of project, great tool for all environment. Simple and easy to configure. Database that never crashes and is up all the time !

We are having a variety of business projects and we use MySQL for powering our back end, its easy and simple.

MySQL review by Gautam S.
Software Architect

"Open Source Stable Database Management System."

What do you like best?

MySQL is open source, free, stable database management system which can be used in production applications. It is a light weight database which can be installed and used on production application servers with big multi-tier applications as well as on a desktop by developers. It can be installed on all platforms like Windows, Linux and Mac. It is secure and is not vulnerable to any security vulnerabilities

What do you dislike?

One issue which I dislike is that there is not a good client application or SQL editor to connect to the database server, like toad which is used for oracle, though it is available for MariaDB which is also a version of MySQL. I am not very happy with Oracle acquiring MySQL as well, as I would like it to remain free and open source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend the product to others, it is open source, free and very stable to be used with large applications on production level. It can be coupled with any technologies using ODBC-JDBC bridge and has good support for the drivers and installation.

I have used mysql is developing web applications for BioInformatics projects which are applications used for cancer research. These are production ready applications accessed by users through the internet around the world. The database is used with application development done using Java-J2EE technologies and it is very stable and secure product.

MySQL review by Rajan S.
PHP Developer

"The best open source database to use."

What do you like best?

1. I am a developer and I have 3 years of experience and till then I am using MySQL database to develop my project and it is helping me a lot to achieve my requirements for my projects.

2. With the version above MySQL 5, there is much more inbuild function introduce which help me to achieve requirements in given time for my client's of the company.

3. Supported by all the operating system and easy to install in any operating system like window, Mac etc

What do you dislike?

1. As a developer, I did not find any drawback in the MySQL database.

2. Some times if you are going to handle big data then there is a problem in manageability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes I recomend MySQl to all developer for their web application development.

I use it to meet my company's client requirement and to develop my project.

MySQL review by Alastair M.
Senior Web Developer

"Solid database, reliable, widely used and well supported"

What do you like best?

I've been using MySQL for over 20 years and it's been a key component to my work. It's a solid workhorse of a database and it's prolificacy has meant that support is second to none, either directly through the developers or from other users.

We use MySQL on all our servers and in our development instances either using an locally installed version of it or via Docker containers. The Docker support has meant we can easily spin up different versions to test them out on existing sites.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that really stands out as anything I would dislike about the product. It's performant enough that I don't need to worry and if you find it struggles, spin up another server. It's open source so the software isn't going to cost you anything. We've experience no security issues with the product but keep our software up to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get involved with the community as they will help with most support issues you may run into. It's open source and so the community for MySQL or any open source products is important so do your bit!

It's the standard tool for most, if not all, of our client websites. We run many sites for non-profit organisations, government agencies and all of them are running on MySQL (with PHP on either Drupal or Laravel). Our sites are high profile, high visibility sites and MySQL has been faultless.

MySQL review by Miguel G.
Web programmer

"Excellent data bae for use in web applications"

What do you like best?

I think it's an excellent database for simple web applications, which do not require arduous data processing, since the search engines that MySQL has are superior to many of its competitors, which in turn can be easy to integrate into applications developed with PHP and other server programming languages

What do you dislike?

I do not like that many of its search engines can not support an extensive search in a very large database, since its methods are relatively slower than other software such as MariaDB, but for applications where its database is not giant it is a totally recommended software. And you can always count on the option to migrate the database. Also the MySQL documentation is very little

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend my colleagues to use this database, it is really practical and easy to use, despite not having the best documentation, the community and forums always support to achieve the correct use of this software

In the company he helped us to create many of our websites, thanks to the good use of this software. At the same time it helps us in testing applications in the cloud in the development phase, with this we can test its speed and know if it is necessary to scale an application to other software if it can continue to be maintained in MySQL

MySQL review by Carlos S.
Cloud programmer

"An excellent tool for web database management"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of this tool, in turn also its ability to integrate web pages and web applications in the cloud is incredible. I really use this tool every day for a lot of our web works. It has great operating advantages, search optimization speed with respect to other database systems which are slower than this software. The speed of operation is the first reason for the account I use MySQL, besides it has an excellent level of security

What do you dislike?

I do not like the little documentation of some of its functions, for this reason it is necessary to resort to forums and external aid to the software provider. At the same time, it is not totally intuitive for someone who is not familiar with these database softwares. These are the main items that I do not like about the software

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to all colleagues who have applications in the cloud to use this type of database since they are extremely fast and optimized

Solvento many problems at the level of access to data quickly for projects in the cloud. Now this allows our cloud software to run faster than in the beginning when we use other databases. In addition to increasing the security and integrity of data stored in this database

MySQL review by Elijah H.
Implementation Engineer and Support L1

"Very popular and open source database."

What do you like best?

With MySQL and its proven performance, reliability and ease of use, it has become the main option I use for database in Web-based applications. In addition, it is an extremely popular alternative as an integrated database.

With its latest version, MYSQL 5.0 append new important features that make it more competitive with drivers such as SQL Server, Sybase and Oracle.

Something I find very fascinating in this new released version I can summarize it in this way:

Use of transactions ACID (Atomic, Consistent Isolated, Durable): To build more secure applications through commit, rollback, crash recovery and blocking by registration.

Store Procedures: To improve programming.

Triggers: To improve business rules.

Views: So that sensitive information is more secure.

Information Schema: For easy access to metadata.

Distributed Transactions (XA): To support transactions between multiple database environments

What do you dislike?

The new features in turn also bring with them new problems that until now are supported by technical support. for example:

Mirroring with disconnected states

The message is duplicated in / etc / motd

filter a message in the log messages

validate the execution time of a process

Statistics in the database

but as I have indicated before, these problems are already being solved by the trained personnel. And by the way, I mention that he is very trained and I congratulate him

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recently made some basic adjustments to improve the performance of MySQL. By adjusting these parameters properly, you can obtain many improvements in the performance of the database, especially if the database server does not have enough resources, and if the SQL optimization part can not be improved much more.

First of all, it can be very useful to take a look inside phpMyAdmin to the sections 'Show MySQL runtime information' and 'Show MySQL system variables', normally accessible from the main page of the application.

The first shows information and statistics that the system collects and maintains from its start. Special attention must be paid to the values of the variables shown in red, and to the tips indicated to the right of these values.

in summary you must have high knowledge of this manager to make changes and adjustments to the required level.

having acquired the license for MySQL server we have eliminated great problems with this manager of tados and has resulted in immediate progress with the company. for example: we have equipment inventory control and the same website of the corporation is managed with said manager.

certainly this tool is very attractive, I hope to continue giving the required use and to continue improving its performance

MySQL review by Anthony N.
Coordinador de soporte técnico

"MySQL the number one in database technology"

What do you like best?

It is free and open source, can be combined with PHP MyAdmin and work within their databases from anywhere.

You can easily store thousands of records.

What do you dislike?

It is quite complex to detect the specific error within the database, should implement an IDE to help and / or alert of common errors or syntax errors, it would be very useful to implement a testing environment to prevent errors of operation to users , and thus apply the changes to the database when all the changes that are to be made are completed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is a great technology to create and manage database, it is a fairly efficient and reliable solution, I do not recommend using another database manager different.

I have been able to participate in the creation of a database to create a call management environment in which we can see, assign and handle all types of incidents that the end user presents. The function of the same is that the user can open a report with the incidence that is presenting either with your PC, word, email, excel, ETC, with which you can make the specific description of its incidence (you can upload devidencias de the same), the personnel in charge can assign a technician to attend the incident and follow up on the user's request.

I am currently the administrator of the database.

MySQL review by Administrator in Computer Software

"MySQL still the best in 2019"

What do you like best?

I work on customer support mainly with MySQL customers but i'm also web developer and i've been using MySQL for years now.

What i liked best is that MySQL an open source project and that means that there are tons of thousands of supports and help is available on the internet for free. I have found this to be particularly very helpful in sorting out otherwise difficult situations. One of the best things about MySQL is that is so popular that you will find a huge community of people ready to help you with any problem you have.

I have used MYSQL with Apache/PhpMyAdmin JAVA and PHP and it Worked seamlessly with them. I have observed that MYSQL works best when you use InnoDB instead Mylsam.

What do you dislike?

The official tutorials are very complicated to follow sometimes, i rather prefer to check stackoverflow than check mysql faqs ...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use MySQL transactions when you are working with business database, you don't want to lose their data and probably your job!

I used MySQL in a project that was covered under the GPL license thus it was free. This helped My company save a lot of expenses compared to when we were using SQL server.

MySQL review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"MySQL the best Database tech out there."

What do you like best?

MySQL provides ease of use. MySQL has cross platform support on which implementation and integration would not be a problem. I like the ease of connection to other programming languages and also management of large data querys.

It is best partnered with other open source products.

Pros:

- First off it is free and open source

- Excellent scale-able database system

- Works perfectly with Linux or Unix servers

- When paired with PHP MyAdmin you can easily work inside your databases from anywhere

- Excellent storage capacity and retrieval

- Can easily store millions of records without issue

- Did I mention it is FREE!

What do you dislike?

It turns slow if you don't have a BEAST server to handle thousands of users at the same time.

More cons:

- Unless you want to be working in a command prompt you need to install 3rd party software like PHP MyAdmin to administrate the database; that said most hosting companies install these by default for you already.

- Some built-in functions to MySQL actually slow down queries to a crawl and ignore your indexes; for example using the DATE() on a datetime column ignores any index in that column.

- Not as robust as Oracle or SQL for large datasets; it will work but it does slow down performance as your data pool grows. Normally this does not happen until you get well into the millions of records and even then there are things you can do to speed up performance but it is worth noting it is not as fast out of the box as other enterprise systems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The reason why I recommend this product is because many more people are switching over to it and it's fairly easy to use. New businesses or other new organizations would be ideal for this as it will be easy to transfer over from what they had before MySQL.

Our company posses hunders of databases which contains millions of records and i assure you MySQL is the best relational database management system that would meet the needs of the company.

MySQL review by Paul B.
Software Engineer

"The all around best database for software applications"

What do you like best?

With only a small amount of simple syntax I can define all the necessary actions to build, maintain and access a database. Using MySQL is straight forward and intuitive. With a some practice, you can easily build a database for any application. The stability and scalability make it great for building large scale applications.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult at times to correct a mistake after you have run an incorrect command. Once a change has been made to a database it is very difficult to undo it. It would be nice if there was an easier way to revert to an older version of your database or an undo feature. Additionally it would be nice if there was a way to build a sandbox version of your database and then automatically update the live instance with changes from the sandbox after testing to insure safety/functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you haven't done database and also basic programming before then you should learn some of each before attempting MySQL. Taking a tutorial on SQL would also be good for first time users.

I have been able to use MySQL to build databases for smartphone and web based applications. It is a very efficient and dependable solution for storing and accessing data for applications with multiple users like social media apps and information sharing services. I can't see myself choosing any other database for mobile or web based applications in the near future.

MySQL review by Ignacio L.
Founder, CEO
Internet

"The perfect database for web applications"

What do you like best?

It is a very adaptable database. It is also very fast when performing operations. On the other hand it has been very useful to deploy it on servers with limited resources. I like that no matter what server language I use in my web applications I can achieve access to the mysql database without any complications. This also helps me to interconnect applications through the same database

What do you dislike?

Many advanced functions of MySQL do not have a good documentation, it is required to invest time in being able to find all the necessary documentation. And it's also an unintuitive database for a beginner user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool, but they should improve the documentation for advanced functions. I like that it can be integrated to any type of server language, it is very useful to connect applications created in different languages ​​from the same database. Finally, mysql does not come fully optimized, it requires several optimization adjustments to improve its performance. They are also simple optimizations that can be easily improved

It has allowed me to build the database of all websites and applications in the cloud that I have created in the company, it is a great tool for database and widely used in web apps. We are currently creating new products for cloud solutions, and this integrated NodeJS tool works perfectly. We have also integrated it into web applications created with php and python

MySQL review by Sunil Kumar M.
Application Developer

"Developer Friendly Relational Database"

What do you like best?

It is compactable with both Python and Node js Language. In node js, we preferred MySql when we think about relational Database. You can get easy support from the internet whenever you stuck. Apart from that, it provides a nice looking workbench editor where you graphically create the schema, database, etc. You can also able to mapping table and create normalization.

What do you dislike?

It little bit heavy database compare to PostgreSQL. Sometimes the port number setting is not that easy in a different machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use MsSQL, MySql, and PostgreSQL as a Relational Database. If you choose MsSQl then It Quite Difficult and it not that compatible with node js. So it better to chose Mysql over MSSQL.

I developed a web portal by using Database by using MySql Database. when I connect through node package equalizers it quite easy to MVC.

MySQL review by german l.
German Linares

"databases for our web pages"

What do you like best?

with this database manager we can add databases to our web applications with easy connection and accessibility since their configuration is oriented to web projects which makes the flow of data in these projects easier and faster

What do you dislike?

the inconvenience of working with this manager is the sentences and queries of tables must be done in a very manual way by writing in detail each line of code in sql language because it has no assistants to facilitate this work

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is highly recommended to develop web applications since this software is designed for this type of functions which makes the work very practical

This is the manager that I use for the development of the web pages that they entrust me since it gives me an easy connection with php and it guarantees me that the applications that I design work safely and quickly

MySQL review by moses m.
MR

"MySQL reviews"

What do you like best?

MySQL has is the best database design software i have used in the whole of my software development Job,The software is easy to use and install into my computer.The software documentation is well done therefore hence easy to get started with design.They also have also have a large number of people using it and forums where you can get help whenever stuck in doing a certain task using software.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes very difficult to implement views on MySQL and the documentation is also not very clear about it. This is the only area that i feel need to be improved to make the software super perfect for all my developments work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the best software for development of huge projects as it has been my experience with the software.

Mobile app development within the company.

MySQL review by Delna D.
chief software developer

"MySql - The best relational database management system."

What do you like best?

Mysql is very easy to to install and use. Any db query can be executed using code or we can manually execute using mysql. Db operations are very simple and also we get support very easily. It is the the best option for storing data for websites in php, codeigniter etc... Also to export and import database is very easy.

What do you dislike?

When complex operations some times, mysql seems very complex.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend mysql for all developers because its is the best and easy relational database management system I have ever used.

I am a php developer. I use mysql for my websites since its very easy and convenient to use. It is the best relational management system. Db and table structure helps to implement program logic very easily. Also we can export or import tables. This helps a lot in my work.

MySQL review by Miriam C.
Desarrolladora Web

"MYSQL DATABASE"

What do you like best?

Mysql is one of the tools that I use the most in my work since I am an information systems programmer and part of my day,

I like it because it has a graphical interface where I can easily create my databases, tables, functions, place the different types of data (integer, varchar, time), handling a large amount of data and for me it is one of the most powerful data managers that is successful.

You can import and export database, besides it shows a relational graph between the tables, it has a very simple installation and the configuration of the same menera ... for the dba they will have more specific tools for the handling of information, indexing to facilitate the search, stored processes, table relationships. in order for me personally that I am a developer,

I am very useful this tool for the area of ​​development and pilot tests

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of documentation for some functions.

It works perfect for the smallest data set.

Does not allow data partitions

Recommendations to others considering the product

Data management

Creation of reports

Entity-relationship model chart

Basic sql functions

Stored Procedures

I recommend using this database engine since it is one of the most powerful and additionally used by the most famous cms of the Wordpress area that says a lot about this driver

Data management

Creation of reports

Entity-relationship model chart

Basic sql functions

Stored Procedures

MySQL review by Andrew O.
Technician

"Reliable and almost bullet proof"

What do you like best?

I like how reliable MySQL is, Let me tell you a story. I have several clients running this and one morning about 5:30 AM one of them calls me saying their server is down. I stop by on my way into the office to find that the entire RAID on the server has failed (no notifications as the person who set it up didn't do that for some reason). So I get to work putting new drives in, re-installing the OS and I pull the data from a backup (Always have a backup!). The SQL team then got to work putting all the pieces back together again, they contacted me later that night and needed about 15 different files pulled from the backup again and I got it to them, they pieced it together. From that experience alone I knew how strong, reliable and bullet proof MySQL is.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I wish it had the same type of tools that MSSQL has, Nothing beats studio manager from Microsoft from my experience. I know there are plenty of admin tools that are available for MySQL but I"ve not seen them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're good with SQL give it a shot, it's been rock solid but so has the MS SQL implementations that we have.

We manage several clients that running clinical data in mysql. The servers are the least problem causing part of the whole setup, it just works.

MySQL review by Saul Ivan R.
CTO

"Great and Popular Relational Database"

What do you like best?

The ease which you can find learning resources and support from the community.

It is really on every, or at least on the bast majority, of cloud providers, so using any of them or migrating over them can be done really quickly with barely none extra configuration.

Current support and update is one big plus, having teaks, and improvements over performance or usability across upgrades.

What do you dislike?

Some of the difficulties at the time of make robust architectures with db clusters and replication processes.

An important amount of issues that we have encountered are related to the actual system which the database is installed, some of these are not quite good documented and with reason as there are so many distinct systems out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some of the most common troubleshoots are already solved by the community and with all those resources is pretty easy to use the features or delegate some operations with the knowledge that if any trouble comes up can be solved throughout the documentation and forums.

For more specific and deep issues you may encounter some knowledge of the actual system and network where the server is located is going to me required. Some of this weird issues can easily tracked, handled or even avoided in cloud solutions.

Most of the common purpose data storage are handled with ease using MySQL, quick setup, restore and backup for our operations data. Even before try something else we first run the first steps on MySQL.

MySQL review by Mel M.
Graduate Assistant

"Expensive to create a custom database, but worth it "

What do you like best?

I like that MySQL is such a dynamic database, and that it filers out duplicate entries. This is soooo useful. We collect data from the Gulf of Mexico from sensors, and it is important that duplicate entries are not stored. We use this database to connect to R Studio.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I am having a difficult time finding commands and support. I suppose I haven't emailed but I should be able to find some code and support. Anyways I have had a lot of trouble trying to convert some dates, and I've just given up. I think the company will have to hire someone to do this.

We aren't having any business problems. We hired someone to create the database and they are creating a GUI for us. But it is very expensive, and it takes a very long time. I think the whole process took about 6-8 months to create the database.

MySQL review by Pablo P.

"MySQL Review"

What do you like best?

Software de código abierto que funciona tanto en Windows como en Linux.

Tiene la capacidad de manejar bases de datos de gran tamaño y sabiendo conocimientos de PHP se pueden implementar registros de los clientes de forma muy simple.

Al ser de código abierto se puede modificar y ajustar a las necesidades de cada usuario.

La descarga es gratuíta y existen diferentes versiones de pago por lo que se trata de un programa accesible tanto para pequeños usuarios como empresas de todo tipo de rangos.

What do you dislike?

Muchas herramientas funcionan con PHP lo que supone una gran ventaja para implementar nuevas funciones pero la gran desventaja es que hay que aprender el lenguaje PHP para poder implementar las funcionalidades que ofrece MySQL.

El programa no admite tipos de datos complejos, expresiones de tablas comunes o uniones externas completas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL es una buena opción del mercado para crear bases de datos y aumentar la organización de tu empresa. La recomiendo totalmente.

Gestión de datos de la empresa y de nuevos clientes utilizando el lenguaje PHP.

MySQL review by Lorena S.

"Very useful Database system"

What do you like best?

I always use the free version, and to this day, I havent had any problem, all working flawlessly. It can be installed on windows or linux, this way you are not forced to use one or another OS. Its one of the most used Database system, so you can find a lot of information on the internet if you have any doubt (wich you probably will)

What do you dislike?

I find it not very first time user friendly. Previous knowledge is recommended to configure the Database for the first time. Also, some synthax is different from other SQL, this can lead to error in the code if you dont know

Recommendations to others considering the product

I havent had any major problems using Mysql, so I can recommend its use, but be advised that I recommend to read some manual if you dont have experience using it, because it can be a bit confusing especially at first.

We use it as database for a wiki we have for information of all our programs, with installation steps, installer paths, FAQs and more. We also use it as database for a GLPI instance we have. Since installing we havent had any problem, wich is great since we have a great load of work.

MySQL review by Tina L.
Software Engineering Intern
Financial Services
(10,001+ employees)

"MySQL gets the job done"

What do you like best?

First off, I use the paid version, but I do believe there is a free version of MySQL which is always a pro (much like MongoDB offers a free version). Both the free and paid versions offers numerous features and the option of configuring your database in numerous ways. Further, its flexibility is expanded by its ability to work alongside with other platforms and databases like Oracle or IntelliJ. This works for my company as this means MySQL can be preinstalled and set up and as new employees set up the database, there is no reason to have to open MySQL as everything can be pre-configured and then the database can be accessed through platforms that work sided by side with MySQL.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the biggest downfall is a result of a plus point. Because MySQL offers so many different features and ways to create your personalized user interface, some very basic tasks become very difficult to carry out or take quite a while. For example, when I wish to backup the current state of my database, I have found MongoDB (which we previously used) was a lot quicker and easier to carry out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take your time and patience in getting settled in with MySQL, especially if you are switching from another platform. If you are on a low budget, MySQL is probably good enough as it comes with plenty to offer even for free.

We use MySQL to hold our database. A database with over 127 tables, it is quite hefty in size and MySQL has no issue holding all the data and has always been reliable. I have yet to see (from my normal 9-6 hours) any time that the database was down so it is definitely a plus point.

MySQL review by Fredrick S.
Summer Intern

"MySQL Review"

What do you like best?

I like the availability of MySQL across multiple platforms like LInux and Mac. Further, I love that it integrates so well with IntelliJ enabling me to store my database within Intellij and acess it without having to open MySQL

What do you dislike?

I dislike the complexity of MySQL as well as the price. Initially, the features that MySQL offers and the steps taken to set up the database are extensive and takes a true software engineer to figure out. It is not friendly to those who simply need a database to store information of clients for a ecommerce site or such. Further, the price is quite steep.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this product to only those who are extremely familiar with databases and setting them up. For simple tasks and those with minimal knowledge, I would not recommend turning to MySQL

I used MySQL to support a few websites to store user data on clients and users. The main benefit is that I can access it across multiple platforms and within other programs like IntelliJ.

MySQL review by Sarath S.
Software Developer

"The Best Open Source Relational Database SYstem"

What do you like best?

MySQL is very Easy to install and configure , and i have been using it for almost 5 years and i am happy with it, There are lots of relational database out there, but MySQL has its own strength for handling large databases on the server. and i really like the command interface for MySQL ,i was able to control and manage my database very easily , and i like the HELP feature too, The HELP feature in the command line interface does really help.

What do you dislike?

The update process of MySQL server was little confusing, should have given simple instructions, There are some glitches while using MySQL with PHPMyadmin like sometimes it takes too much time to retrieve data from database,

Recommendations to others considering the product

i strongly recommend MySQL to every one because its the best open source database system that can handle large data

i was able to create lost of mobile apps for myself and for our company with using MySQL as its Database system, and i am really familiar with how it works and its really helped us to create lots of good apps with a strong database.

MySQL review by Alberto C.
Fullstack Developer

"Not the best, not the worst"

What do you like best?

* Very easy to install, it's available in every operative system.

* Very easy to use, there are plenty of tools to manage and integrate MySQL databases on any platform or application.

* Is an industry standard, and is hardly difficult to find a system that does not rely on a MySQL database even for a secondary role.

What do you dislike?

* Is not the fastest database engine.

* Is not fully open source as Oracle has some closed components.

* The scalability is not as great as with other NoSQL database engines.

* The lack of a fully SQL support makes some queries not to work when compared with Oracle SQL or MSSQL database engines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is a perfect start point for any web application focused on data and dynamic information, websites, or other general-purpose cloud software.

However, it has some performance limitations when reaching a high level of data, which may lead into inconsistencies and unstable software. These limits are still too high to be reach in a short span of time but in a real world system this can be a pain in the ass after 5-10 years of a fully working system to migrate.

I use MySQL databases for almost any product i develop, as it's the de-facto free database engine solution in the computer software industry.

I've built from websites to cloud software, as monitoring services, or file management tools. MySQL is very handy to store cached data and create dynamic content.

MySQL review by John L.

"Great Database to use"

What do you like best?

MySQL is a very intuitive database schema. the ease of use is excellent. learning sql and applying it to mySQL is very easy to do and makes ones life of organizing data much easier. It is one of the largest languages (database languages) in the entire world, which means there is a lot of support and troubleshooting available online. Searching for solutions to common problems is very easy and can be solved just by doing a quick online search.

What do you dislike?

mySQL is a bit hard to learn initially. If you are starting from a language such as Java or Python, learning SQL is not the easiest thing to do. The language is much more of instructions rather than programming. for large scale and huge sets of data, mySQL may not be the most efficient tool as it does not scale too well. for smaller sets of data, MySQL is much easier and better to use. MySQL also does not support data partitions which makes analyzing large sets of data impossible (or extremely slow)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to spend time learning it and getting comfortable with MySQL!

We are creating huge databases to store information. We currently are storing costs and prices for our items in mySQL. We also use a lot of machine learning and data science tools to analyze and evaluate data. there are a lot of artificial intelligence libraries and tools that can be used along side with MySQL that make MySQL that much more powerful.

MySQL review by Habiba H.
System Engineer

"For a free database software, MySQL is definately the best value for money"

What do you like best?

MySQL is provided free of charge. The features of their database engine are excellent and compete against even the paid databases such as oracle. The user base is wide and many issues i have run into have already been tackled and posted online. It is also very fast and fully reliable.

What do you dislike?

Some features of mySQL have been closed source and proprietary. The software is free but the user has to pay for support when needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a free relational database, MySQL is simply the best option to go with, it has ability to store structured data very effectively and is very easy to use. I highly recommend it.

MySQL has enabled my company to save finances that would have been used to purchase a relational database license. These finances have been used to do other tasks like marketing.

MySQL database is also very secure and reliable and our clients can rest assured that their data is properly protected.

MySQL review by shareef h.
Development Lead

"AMAZON RDS is cool as startup without mentioning complex shredding etc.."

What do you like best?

I use cloud amazon so ; I can change its size whever i need as the rush hours ( in my case ) event and tickiging managment system requires heavy buying.

What do you dislike?

it costs alot , the most of my bill is RDS . so i have to be very carefull of full scans it makes my db stuck at 100% and i have to ssh to it to kill that process, i wish there is way to kill it from amazon console

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it but keep in mind when your database gets very large it will defenitly need indx and redesign and infrastructure actions, try to design with performance in mind to scale up the product without enlarging the instance it costs alot, so understand your buz requirement for example amazon RDS has new type called t2 this charges is less but on trade of if the cpu is almost always less than 50 %.

Relational database to store my data and monitor

MySQL review by Rodolfo M.
CTO
Entertainment

"MySQL as persistence layer for PHP-based systems"

What do you like best?

The great flexibility, continuous improvements and that it is standards-based.

The vast amount of information you can find on-line due to the big user base that MySQL has.

The easy of use of the graphical interface (MySQL Workbench)

What do you dislike?

The uncertainty due to competency with Oracle as the main (and competing) product of the parent company.

I think there is a risk that the product will loose against the competency (e.g. MariaDB) or due to internal conflicts with the Oracle team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it as a data repository only.

Do not depend on product-specific features.

Try to use only SQL-92 compliant sentences.

Always check the performance of your queries.

First, that it freely available, so, it helps bring the budget down for the on-going operation.

Second, it solves our persistence layer, in a standard way, using mostly SQL-92 syntax.

It has great on-line help, and there are many references, since it is widely used across all industries.

It has been able to solve the storage needs both for our website, and our mobile applications.

MySQL review by Shantanu D.
Developer

"MySQL - Awesome relational database"

What do you like best?

It is easy to learn, supports transactions that are atomic and secure. Moreover, MySQL is ubiquitous. It is easy to scale, always available. Finally, since it is being used by many big companies and organizations making it one of the most trusted and dependable database systems. It is proven!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the queries can get too complicated and difficult to understand. One really needs to sit down and parse the queries to get the exact thing that is happening.

It is the database that is being used by one of the projects that I am currently working on. The benefits that I have realized are, it is very easy to learn, it is secure and ensure the atomic properties being maintained by the transactions.

MySQL review by Himmy R.
It Professional
(5001-10,000 employees)

"A powerful and compatible database"

What do you like best?

* MySQL always guarantees optimal speeds and unique memory caches for improved performance.

* Facilitates and streamlines maintenance, debugging and updates.

* It is open source.

* Integration with other tools is easy.

* It is a very good relational database.

* MySQL works with structured data.

What do you dislike?

+ Lacks built-in support for XML.

+ There should be capture concepts.

+ Does not support ARRAY or stored procedures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extremely flexible and there is a lot of support in its large online community. is excellent for large or small websites you can quickly find compatible hosting, it is one of the most used database

I have obtained a lot of satisfaction using Mysql, as well as professional or corporate use, using Mysql in web applications made to measure, powerful websites and traffic.

MySQL review by Kevin F.
Platform Architect
Internet

"MySQL is a great general purpose and entry level data management system"

What do you like best?

MySQL is easy to use and supported on virtually every platform. It supports a wide variety of use cases out of the box, and generally "just works." Community support is prolific, which is really helpful when troubleshooting or architecting solutions.

What do you dislike?

Performance tuning can be difficult to manage and diagnose. For large and complex applications, MySQL will likely not be the only data system in use due to its scalability or complex query performance. Data storage on disk isn't as good as competitors (e.g. compression). Being a traditional data store, application integration can be more difficult than using a NoSQL-based solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider application performance requirements and scaling requirements before choosing MySQL. Do your research on other solutions before choosing MySQL. It can be tempting because it's free and open source, but be aware that there are other flavors of MySQL out there too!

We built ecommerce platforms, AI data stores, and other reporting solutions on MySQL.

MySQL review by An P.