Inventor

Inventor® 3D CAD software offers an easy-to-use set of tools for 3D mechanical design, documentation, and product simulation.

Work for Inventor?

Learning about Inventor?

Inventor Reviews

Ask Inventor a Question
Showing 167 Inventor reviews
Teresa s.

"INVENTOR THE BEST TOOL FOR DESIGNS."

What do you like best?

This tool is one of the best software I've seen to design the parts I need and I do not get them in the market.

INVENTOR is very easy to use and with the help of the tutorials I have been able to learn how to develop this tool.

It has allowed me to review the gears and the accuracies of the encage in a very fast way, I can review the resistance of the materials and design all necessary structures.

Another important aspect is the possibility of making the pieces in modules which in the end I can join them and get a complete product of what I need, how it works and its durability, as long as we load the parameters in a correct way in the program .

What do you dislike?

Actually I can not make a negative criticism of the program because it has been very good and the colleagues who have presented it has been very good.

The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that when you perform 3D simulations you must have a computer with enough memories to support the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We can recommend this work tool because it has been very useful in the projects we have had to carry out to our clients and they have been very satisfied to see the results and to make the parts or components that have been needed.

As acessors of teams from different companies we have been able to design very simple pieces such as sheets to pieces for heavy machinery and robotics which are important for each of them, and the results have been satisfactory.

We have been able to verify its resistance to be in operation before taking them to their original site and we have been able to determine faults before their creation in physics and correct them.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Inventor
Matt W.

"Powerful 2d and 3d drawing"

What do you like best?

It was very easy to learn and use by watching basic tutorials. I self thought myself to model basic sheet metal parts to then turn into assemblies and see how it looks and fits together in real time. What i really liked about it as well, when i had a complete assembly done, I could see how much it weighed (providing i had input the correct sheet metal parameters) and what the area was for painting.

What do you dislike?

For someone like me in a smaller job shop it was a bit expensive, and it needed a very powerful computer to run. Otherwise the software is not very reliable ad crashed easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great product to take away the guessing game when manufacturing square to round transitions, or even tubular products.

I could draw up conveyor assemblies and cut them out and the parts fit together great. A key benefit, is also bends on sheet metals. It would take into consideration the growth at every bend. Also, when i hot dip galvanize some parts i cut and welded, i could easily get a quote what it would cost me.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Brett H.

"Like Solidworks but dumber and more limited"

What do you like best?

Being able to define sheet metal by the final target shape is useful. It's the only feature that I can think of that is more user friendly than Solidworks 2013.

What do you dislike?

Everything seems to take an extra click for no reason. Buttons and functions are hard to find. The program always thinks you've made a change and need to save when nothing has been done. The program has poor awareness of what components or subassemblies have already been checked out of vault. Solidworks assembly mates from ten years ago are more varied and useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pay close attention to what makes the solidworks user interface so much more intuitive. I could do more after my first week with solidworks than I could after months with inventor. For instance, placing a simple diagonal length dimension is something I had to take time to look up. When sketching, trimming a line completely dissociates the lines with no colinear restraint assumed. Inventor is full of time-wasting traps.

We model and draw parts with inventor. It gets us by, albeit poorly. Some of this is our fault (we have no formal process to supersede or obsolete old drawings) and some of this is vault not being fully launched (all files are shown as "work in progress" - none have release information at the inventor level.

"It's Pretty Good"

What do you like best?

What I love about Inventor is its intuitive design and simple layout. The tools help you get the job done and can be used in tandem to complete any task at hand. The menus are very easy to navigate and the tools have very useful tool tips to guide beginners with using the multitude of tools. Additionally, I love that you can create parts in separate files and then bring them into one assembly file. This makes it very easy to manage all of your components and plan ahead. Selecting nodes, lines, etc. has never been easier and the direct selection option is very useful for when you want to modify very specific parts of your design.

What do you dislike?

The think that infuriates me is how annoying it is to move and manipulate sketches. You have to use a tool every time and I wish you could just drag it. Additionally, the settings menu is very difficult to navigate as many options are tucked away in illogical places.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When you are using inventor, I would recommend consolidating sketches into singular sketches instead of having a billion sketches clump up your navigation tab.

Evaluate if Inventor is the right software for you before you use it. It is a very pricy product but well worth it if you need a solid CAD application for designing complicated assemblies.

Inventor is the perfect medium for us and it lets us collaborate on projects very well.

Megan H.

"4 years experience with Inventor, 8 years with Autodesk products"

What do you like best?

Inventor is visually and technically user friendly. Adapting to Inventor from being a 3Ds Max user prior was extremely easy. Now I use Inventor for all modeling aspects and have actually gone away from 3Ds Max due to a change in career path.

What do you dislike?

There are some tools that are very limited and come with errors, such as chamfer, however this is very minor and there is generally a work around to get to a solution in the model.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We use it primarily for mechanical designs, however we have also been delving into 3D printing which Inventor is now being included in a number of print friendly software to make it easier to convert a file for print ready ability.

We are able to present truck builds for customers prior to the actual build. Not only does this give the customer a visual on how their final product will turn out, but we can also utilize Inventor to help our technicians and fabricators on where the items on the build will go. This allows for less error when going full custom for a truck build.

Steve G.

"Inventor for Millwork and Tradeshow Exhibit Documents"

What do you like best?

Inventor is very easy to use to create realistic, solid designs for cabinetry and millwork. I have tailored the software to streamline my creation of repetitive tasks, and it allows me to effectively document my designs quickly and easily. The software allows you to design and see where problems are in real time. My absolute favorite thing is that the drawings created, are always 100% exactly what you've modeled. It is impossible to have a view that does not dimensionally match another view. My experience with CAD systems in the past, is when drawings get revised, if not checked carefully, views can get out of sync with each other and when something is manufactured, the fabricator undoubtedly will ALWAYS pick the incorrect view as the one to follow. Inventor completely eliminates this problem. Last but not least, is that after being an Engineer / Drafter / Project Manager for almost 30 years, learning and using inventor has made designing and drafting fun for me again.

What do you dislike?

If there's anything I dislike, is that the software could be more cabinet and millwork friendly without having to purchase an add-on. The drawing sizes and model file sizes can get very large, in some cases I have drawings over 200mb, which can be painfully slow when loading over a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Inventor is a great tool and easy to learn and be productive with. It is not a direct solution for any specific trade other than Sheet Metal, but can be tailored to fit.

We utilize Inventor to create tradeshow exhibit manufacturing shop drawings, setup and dismantle drawings.

Jason B.

"Powerful, yet needy"

What do you like best?

Inventor has a lot of added features that streamline the design process. Whether its content center, Tube & pipe, sheet metal, or iLogic these additions can make a difference in hundreds of hours saved, a more complete BOM and allowing a true cost analysis of the project.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about inventor is that for all the above features, a massive amount of customization is required for any of them to work. I would love to see an easier, more involved interface setup to quickly make changes and deploy features quicker with company based part numbers and descriptions.

Integrated sheet metal production. The inventor model/ drawing is now our flat pattern. One place to make corrections rather than four before. Saves time & less possibilities for human error.

Content center has allowed us to place hardware and hoses for a more precise assembly/ BOM. Before we did not include them in our models to save time. This has greatly increased our accuracy.

Scott H.

"Not quite up to Solidworks as far as smoothness..."

What do you like best?

I like the look of the interface. It seems well polished. Some features seem like the designers of the software really were thinking about it, but from a daily users point of view, what should be an easy 'escape' or 'enter' command just doesn't work.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the iPart, iAssembly, i-anything workflow. To be honest, it is really poorly thought out. TO think that making a part into an iPart causes it to have to be removed from an assembly and have to be re-added with constraints is very limiting. What if the part is a base part. I can imagine the thousands of hours that are being wasted by engineers trying to deal with this limitation. SolidWorks automatically updates the part and allows you to add different configurations from a simple drop-down without exchanging the part. Also, decals on iParts don't come through in the iAssemblies. Seriously? The colors don't look right in a render. If you have several black parts, some come out looking gray and others look as black as Vantablack. Not good for marketing or sales.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not sure - need to check out Solidworks first and see if it will work for your needs.

HSM cam is limited in that you can't machine a v-groove on an axis line. You have to create a slot to get it to do it. Also, you can't fold something that has had material removed like in a v-groove. The renders we produce are adequate, but it is very challenging to get the product to look right. Also, it's not easy to manipulate parts as you have to hold down the shift key to get it to spin in 3D.

Greg G.

"Improving program that continues to evolve "

What do you like best?

The continued improvement in the interface and usability of the program. Parts in the models blow up or move with no understanding of what has occurred.

What do you dislike?

I've found over five years that it's very hard to get training on sheet metal or find professionals that handle Inventor Sheet Metal to help grow my team. Even with a very good team from D3 Technologies, that's been the biggest hurdle for us.

In program the ability to handle our parts the way we form them is still a struggle. We have built in workarounds for coving sink corners and how some of our parts come together, but it feels like these are things that should be addressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More improvements in the sheet metal side to make it easier to manipulate parts and models.

Inventor has allowed us to build a better end product. The 3D design gives us tighter tolerances and minimizes the variances that we deal with on our custom product lines. This saves hours on each conveyor we build and makes it easier for the shop team to put together our fabrication on a job to job basis.

Lanny L.

"Self taught Inventor user."

What do you like best?

I would have to say that the ease of use is the best part for me. I went from not knowing anything about the program to being the go to person on site in just a few months. Between the information given in hover mode and the Autodesk community, learning the program was very easy.

What do you dislike?

With what I am using the program for, there are a few things I wish the program would do (or even do slightly different). But that is just nitpicking. I can do everything I need as of now.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product may not do everything you want it to, but it will do everything necessary to allow your product to be made faster and better.

On my side of the company, Inventor allows me to do full assemblies to make sure all parts align as they are supposed to. When I was using only 2D, there was some issues in the field that are now fixed due to the ability to assemble full products and rotate to see all sides.

Daniel C.

"Amazing 3D modelling tool"

What do you like best?

I used inventor as a student before and their 3-year free trial made it possible for me to use the platform and learn a lot about 3D modelling. When I went to work, I would always recommend Inventor as the product of choice when it comes to modelling. It also integrates with fusion 360.

What do you dislike?

I found Inventor to be very CPU intensive so it would run fairly slowly sometimes on my Laptop which is a workstation (spec'ed for light CADing)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend people to get the free version of fusion 360 which gives you a glimpse of what Inventor is like before committing to buying the license which is extremely expensive for small businesses. Also youTube has many tutorials on how to do different things with modelling, simulation, and rendering which are very useful.

I am designing my product using Inventor and it has allowed me to create multiple iterations of the prototype.

Edger L.

"Inventor, Amazing 3D modelling pro."

What do you like best?

-Its a very perfect tool and very useful in structural field for production of mechanical drawings and modelling of Mechanical 3D models.

-The product also has the ability in 2D drawings and documents production. It can also do rendering of various 3D models in some industries.

-Easy to customize Inventor, from Menu, Ribbon rearranging, Key board shortcuts etc. Through this, different Engineers from different industries can customize Inventor to his/her working style depending on the field of work and the service to be produced.

-Its a documents management software, which produces quality services for business marketing and also for presentation purposes

-Inventor is very good product for collaboration, especially in projects with multiple users and it allows files Exporting.

What do you dislike?

Inventor is a great software, and apart from slow running when very much loaded like any other product, Inventor is perfect.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Inventor is such a great and most appropriate product for production of Mechanical Engineering services and other services.

-Quick designing and modelling of Mechanical documents and models.

-Production clean and clear document for presentation

-Improving the business production through different uses.

Mario J.

"one of the best for the production"

What do you like best?

With the capability of make assemblies you are able to create multipieces objects and produce all the necessary layouts to make the work of the production team easier, also like the funtion for run stress analisys on the objects, so with that information you can be sure that your design is going to meet the expectations, my congratulations to autodesk for create this family of cad tools.

What do you dislike?

i would like that the render option would produce pictures closer to the reality

Recommendations to others considering the product:

look at the tutorials that comes with the program for solve your doubts

rendering, designing, production of layouts, checking of assemblies, stresses analisys

"still need to work on rectilinear sheet metal as opposed to free form"

What do you like best?

as a custom shop the ability to extract holes directly off one part to another at assembly level. However that is often limited/blocked by the part being "adaptive" in another assembly (meaning it has already had a feature extraction once before and now you cannot do that again. .

What do you dislike?

First and foremost is the new business model and means of charging for software on a one year annual renewal basis. This flies in the face of the support given by industries that used them for decades and made them one of the preeminent softwares in the world.. It is a hard rebuke and face slap to devoted users and businesses. I have seriously considered other options over the last 2 years and will continue to do so.

Second is The inability to run multiple sessions at once on one computer for paralleling part and assembly creation side by side. Among other things one session will no recognize parts or modification made in a separate sessions.

Third is lack of support by Autodesk internally on Inventor for sheet metal punching and layout. Even what they have done is strictly for laser or plasma cutters but nothing for turret punching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Plan carefully what you need do with it. Implement Vault (pro is preferred) from day one to establish control and manage files. Do not look back only forward. It will take time coming up from scratch.

The change that has made us millions in profit was more a philosophical approach change brought on by implementation. We chose to start cataloging parts and assemblies for reuse. That has allowed a significant library of "standard" product to be designed to support a custom result with higher accuracy, quality and lower cost for our customers.

Chris D.

"Inventor is a very well-rounded design program with many features for a variety of applications."

What do you like best?

Easy to use Interface and button layout. The commands are clearly spelled out and even give you a quick tutorial glimpse of what the command or button does when you hover your mouse arrow over it for a few seconds.

What do you dislike?

Like any software, crashes can occur. You have to be sure that you keep up-to-date on all patches and services packs for your Autodesk Products to ensure you have the best experience while using their software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Every 3D software program has its pro's and cons. While Inventor isn't the most expensive option out there or the program with the most bells and whistles, I feel like it is one of the easiest to use and has a ton of features that will satisfy most needs of a designer, fabricator, machinist and engineering firms. Autodesk has really put a huge emphasis on providing tutorials for their products as each new release comes out. Between their tutorials and Youtube videos, a new user can jump right in and design parts pretty quickly.

My company utilizes Inventor to create all engineering drawings, models and bill of materials. The use of .IDW files (drawing files) which uses the .IAM (Assembly files) and .IPT (Part Files) to create designs is extremely helpful as it can create a lot of automatic information contrary to AutoCAD Mechanical which requires a lot of manual input. Both pieces of software have their uses but Inventor makes design management a lot more simple. We are an engineering firm that also does production and packaging of components, assemblies, weldments and custom parts. We build aerospace quality designs as well using Inventor software.

mario s.

"One of the best mechanical design tool"

What do you like best?

Its a helpful tool for me ( i am mechanical engineer) for making designs of products, taking into account the production, geometry, assembly, simulation of the materials, stress analisys and very other functions while i am developing in a friendly and smooth 3d interface.

What do you dislike?

The render function of a object in the program can be a lot better, it can simulate the materials but the appereance dont look as real as can be with other softwares.

i can design a object form cero, check geometries, check and make assemblies, make renders for presentations, generate layouts and so on, its a very complete software.

Kazi H.

"Can't go wrong with the price"

What do you like best?

Autodesk Inventor software allows the user to design, visualize, and simulate their products. Inventor enables you to create a digital prototype which helps you to reduce on costly physical prototypes. Some improvements on the software are that we are finally able to find the sketch plane finally. The enhanced 3D sketch allows for warping and projection.

What do you dislike?

The price of it is a bit expensive. A single license can cost about 7,000. Regardless of cost, the Inventor doesn't have symmetry check. The symmetry would also the user to find whether the part is symmetric at all or the axis in which it is symmetric about. This would be helpful for users running FEA analysis and want to reduce the run down time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

From a licensed point of view, AutoDesk provides a cloud-based system and the subscription price is hard to beat.

It's easier to create the piping system in Inventor than it is to create it in Solidworks. The rules-based routing tools allow to select the correct fittings and helps ensure that they comply with the industry standards. I can also import it to other files easily if I need it.

Darwin Reynell N.

"Inventor is a very powerful 3d design tool. In comparison to Solidworks tool, it is friendlier. "

What do you like best?

1. Have the opportunity to do each of the design of your pieces and then assemble them.

2. It allows you to evaluate every detail in the design process.

3. The 3D design allows you to be focused on what is really important, the design.

4. Every year the tool innovates and introduces you to new functions that make your work a little easier.

5. Once your designs are ready, you can use the 3D printer and manufacture a particular piece. So it allows you a quick "design-fabrication" process.

What do you dislike?

1. The more pieces you add to your assembly, the computer gets a little slow.

2. In that sense, a large capacity team is required.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Mechanical Design is an iterative process with many interactive phases. You can improve the design and making it efficient. I think this software, Inventor, allows me as a mechanical engineer to apply my knowledge and do my work under a specific methodology that leads me to a quality design. It is a powerful mechanical design tool.

Fidel S.

"autodesk inventor "

What do you like best?

I like that the platform has kept up to date with the new files for 3d printing and hope that programs has new metric and standard files built within. The one sign in for all platforms makes this great for mutile computers

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the files can be to large . Other partners use other CAD and makes some of the details lost when we open up the inventor files on another program

We are solving time and training the way it is setup it makes the expience faster to learn and easier for other to follow a demonstration . This is great for a team that has different CAD software where this platform might now to be willing to works with others but this platform does accept other platforms

User in Machinery

"SUPERB PERFORMANCE!!"

What do you like best?

It is very versatile and tech saavy where the user is or not. It guides you when you feel like your about to get lost. You can intergrate 2D and 3D design into the single design. It creates clear and accurate drawings with a focus on detail that is amazing! And, if you do run into an issue customer support is spot on.

What do you dislike?

I cant think of one complain I have at this moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

give it a try.

I am in school for civil engineering and I use this program at home to complete assignments. I also use it to design projects that interest me personally. When I am able to build my own house one day, I will have the perfect tool to do so. I AM NOT USING THIS SOFTWARE AT WORK...AT HOME ONLY. I HAVE IT FOR SCHOOL

Roger E.

"Inventor"

What do you like best?

It has a large library of objects and materials that facilitates the presentation of my projects. It's dynamic when making view changes. It's easy to make connections of objects, application of bolts and springs. I like to be able to make animations of the pieces once finished, I can also perform a structural resistance analysis.

What do you dislike?

It takes a long time to load, it requires a lot of RAM, so you must have a computer with the latest technology

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Inventor due to its features and advantages, it's easy to use and develop exports for printing. It has many applications in engineering projects.

When designing a machine or device with Inventor, I can create it directly in 3D and then it gives me the plans that allow me to determine any structural problems, complicated machining and welding and a set of mechanical requirements that is very difficult to see at a glance. I have used it with my students as a thesis advisor, in engineering projects

Alagappan N.

""Incredible 3D modelling tool""

What do you like best?

Inventor is user friendly and best graphic user interface .Autodesk Inventor allows the user to designing, visualization, and simulation of products. I used inventor 2-year free trial version when i was student and it made possible to understand the platform and learn a lot about 3D modelling. After I start work, In design office is the product of choice for modelling. It has allowed me to quickly design metal structures in 3D from your library, which has saved me time, and too have very good finish. Inventor to create all engineering drawings, models and bill of materials.

What do you dislike?

The price of it is a bit expensive for the small scale industry . The multiple pieces you add to your assembly, the computer gets a slow. It is really hard to import things into inventor by stl file .Inventor doesn't have great import compatibility with 3D meshes .Like any software, crashes can occur. It has happened many times but it my file is saved with previous version . It could have been a program error on my part.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool with added advantage of sheet metal modeling and structure mechanics.

My company works for heating and cooling system , Integrated sheet metal production is added advantage .Inventor is a great tool and be productive with Sheet Metal, but can be tailored to fit.It's easier to create the piping system with duct , elbow Tjoint . It save our time on our fabrication which is ease to day to day job basis. It is very easy to model our product and send the file to our customer.

Jeff M.

"Inventor 2019 Pro: A Positive Engineering Tool in 3D World"

What do you like best?

Parametricity, and FE analysis tools inCAD

What do you dislike?

The loft tool can be a bear to get to work well. The feedback on "why it isn't lofting" is pretty spotty & not very informative.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get into the software as soon as possible and use it every chance you get. Your skill level will be QUICKLY increased if you take an Autodesk instructional course or two, but daily use is imperative. The ability to parametrically alter a design after completion makes Inventor an incredibly powerful tool.

Parametric: change a model dimension/size/angle/material and it updates across all native Inventor files in which the model is embedded/used.

The price is relatively inexpensive NOW...now that Autodesk has made it an annual subscription, very affordable.

Form, fit and function issues are readily addressed using Inventor. One of the really time-saving issues is the Copy Design function in Vault 2019 Pro. Again, however, it's difficult to find good "how-to" tutorial for Copy Design.

Aaron P.

"Inventor Functionality"

What do you like best?

The ability to import from Solidworks without issue & correspond manufacturing needs or adjustments back in the same model to Solidworks.

What do you dislike?

The cam option needs more machine post support. Providing tools that require VB & other language coding knowledge in way insufficient especially from Autodesk. When there's multiple users posting & searching for machine post-processors for machinery from the same manufacturer it's time for Autodesk to step up. The "wood industry" has been left in the lurch the CAM feature in Autocad would be greatly beneficial for nesting. Inventor should cross-integrate with Autocad much better as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't hesitate Inventor can & will easily convert models especially from Solidworks better than even Solidworks. Simply open select conversion options & save, that easy.

Mostly described in the "what I like best" section. The "Any-Cad" features are fantastic. I have a customer that makes pinball machines & we provide all the cabinet parts & the ability to open & import native Solidworks parts & assemblies for fine details has saved a lot of time. Would be great if I could get a post-processor to apply machining to it.....

Vincent M.

"Inventor is easy to use and efficient"

What do you like best?

Inventor makes 3D modeling very easy and intuitive. It is very easy to learn the basic commands and create a model from scratch. A lot of things are done using the ribbon at the top, which makes it very user friendly. A user can easily pick up the program and start creating 3D models. Another thing is the program does have a lot of other functionality built in, such as calculating a FEA.

What do you dislike?

Larger models become very slow on the PC if you dont have top of the line hardware. But most people are not going to have 1000's of parts. Inventor is also a memory hog, larger models can take 15-20 GB of memory. This can slow down your entire system if you do not have the correct hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Inventor if you are currently using Autocad to create 3D models. The time required will decrease and the models will look better overall. Also the learning curve for someone who used Autocad will be small.

We are able to model our product and send the file to our customer. They are then able to put the product into a 3D model of their factory to check for interference and to see how much space there would be. It makes the early design phase very easy, and commuication with the customer a breeze.

"Very useful and powerful, but misses on key workflow features"

What do you like best?

I like Inventor's diverse set of tools which allow for the modeling of just about anything in an industrial focus with ease.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the deselect feature. I think you could learn a lot from SolidWork's approach. For each feature set, in the Edit Feature menu, there is a list of all selected edges, faces, points, etc. When mousing over this list of selected items it highlights the corresponding feature on the part. Clicking one of the item on the lists toggles selection/deselection making for a much easier reworking process. The implementation in Inventor is terrible. Only a count of features is available so it isn't even possible to know all of what is selected and the cntl+lmb deselection process in annoying and requires 2-4 clicks to deselect the feature.

I also dislike the available method for selecting a closed loop among other closed loops. It is glitchy and sometimes impossible to select the loop of interest because the program thinks I want a larger outer loop. I then have to fiddle with my sketch and the hovering mouse to select my face. What should take 2 seconds can end up taking 2 minutes.

We are not solving any business problems with inventor other than making CAD models when we need them.

"Great product to teach students 3D modeling"

What do you like best?

As an educator, I like the fact that it is free. I also like the fact that it is close enough to other products that students can easily transition their skills from one product to another.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is free-form products, however, this may be a little weak on that side. I don't mind it, but some students don't like it. Also, the stress analysis is hit and miss depending on the edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For education, you can't beat it. Be ready for some time to install, based on connection speed. Don't do a network deploy(my experience), just dump it on the network and do individual installs. Ghosting doesn't work great on the install. As far as function though, it is great.

As mentioned, in education, the price is the big selling point. I realize the ability for students to build in 3D since they already think in 3D.

Alberto G.

"Programa de diseño 3D con grandes capacidades"

What do you like best?

Lo que hace especial a este programa es que puedes editar las veces que quieras una operación que has hecho con anterioridad, puedes cambiar medidas y cotas, cuando otros programas de modelado 3D no permiten esto.

Es un programa grande y capaz que es ideal para el diseño de maquinaria y el diseño de ensamblaje grande, ya que parece manejar ensamblajes grandes de forma rápida y sin problemas.

What do you dislike?

El diseño de superficie y de forma libre no es realmente bueno en este programa. Esta compañia usa un software complementario que sugieren que use para tales productos. Esto no es un problema para mí ya que hago el diseño de la máquina y no los productos de consumo.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Si trabaja con mucho intercambio de datos (proveedores, clientes, socios), considere usar el mismo sistema que ellos. Nos gusta Inventor porque la mayoría de nuestros socios europeos lo usan. También evalúe su soporte de revendedor local y si puede o no confiar en ellos para capacitación y otros asuntos.

Programas de este tipo son cruciales para las empresas de ingeniería modernas. La integración de diseños mecánicos y eléctricos es fácil y la planificación de la integración con los proyectos de integración no supone ningún riesgo debido al software. En particular, la administración del motor y los comandos de Inventor lo convierte en una herramienta excelente para un entorno de fabricación, ya que tiene tanta capacidad de metadatos. Conectamos los datos críticos de la lista de materiales a nuestro sistema de planificación de necesidades (MRP) y se envía a la sala. Esto permite que el ingeniero que ejecuta Inventor entregue todos los detalles de un diseño al piso de fabricación de manera efectiva.

Francisco C.

"Gran herramienta de diseño 3D"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de este programa es su sencilla interfaz de usuario y sus comandos tan intuitivos. Inventor te permite crear prototipos para validar tus conceptos de diseño sin necesidad de invertir en su fabricación. El hecho de que sea una herramienta de dibujo paramétrica hace que el realizar correcciones sobre tus diseños se muy sencillo. Cuenta con módulos de pieza simple y ensamblaje, conde puedes crear complejos sistemas a partir de tus piezas

What do you dislike?

La verdad es que es difícil que pueda encontrar algo que no me gusta de este programa. Quizás la única pega sería su precio, que es elevado para una empresa pequeña.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Toma un curso de formación apropiado antes de utilizar este software para asegurarte de que conoces todas sus funcionesy puedes exprimirlo al completo.

Diseño de prototipos en 3D para su posterior impresión FDM y envío al cliente final para su validación.

nathanael m.

"Useful and Well balanced 3D Modeling Software"

What do you like best?

Any operation you perform, is displayed on the left. Whether it be a simple extrude or a more advance plane created by the user , every action you make is shown to you. This is very helpful if you are working on a very complex model (or simple model) and you need to make quick adjustments to the part without having to redo everything.

What do you dislike?

Speaking for personal experiences, sometimes when performing a operation such as "Thread" can be a little complicated to use and may require some assistance to use. I personally wish, this operation some other ones can be more easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you like Inventor, I would recommend Solidworks. It's slightly easier to use and just as effectively as Inventor.

The primarily use of Inventor in my workspace is to convert 2D drawings that are creating use other software's such as AutoCAD and making them 3-Dimensional.

Colleen O.

"Long time user"

What do you like best?

I find that Inventor is a very intuitive product for machine and mechanical design. Inventor is always adding new features each year. You can easily make 2D drawings and perform analysis on welded frames. The mate positioning ability works very well when it comes to ensuring mechanisms function correctly. I like being able to add in user macros and toolbars for implementing constraints. The ability to project geometry quickly on a sketch and then extrude it is very nice.

What do you dislike?

The explosion tool is awful and it's very difficult to get exact lighting for rendering. It crashes on occasion. The animation tool is so hard to understand as well. If you are inserting a lot of fasteners the system can get bogged down and it takes a while to constraint them. While the constraint tool is better than it was there are still some issues. I was previously using 2017 so there was no support for 3d pdf. I think that has been added in 2019.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Everyone has their own opinion, I feel like there are fewer steps to do certain thing that take longer in Solidworks but also some things that are easier. Inventor is software that's easy to use and is great for designing large a small assemblies.

Being able to show the customer exactly what we are delivering and make changes quickly is phenomenal. I am able to quantify the design on vibration fixtures and determine their natural frequencies.

Tony W.

"Go to CAD software"

What do you like best?

I've been using this software for about 9 years and it's the one I'm most comfortable with. I like using keyboard shortcuts and not having to move my mouse over to a side menu all the time like Solidworks. The workflow seems faster and smoother. When first learning the software it had excellent tutorials and does a great job of telling you what you need to do next when I was fumbling through new commands that I hadn't used before.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if you had CAM integration like you do with Fusion360. I spend more time programming machines in CAM (ESPRIT/Mastercam) than I do in Inventor these days. I'm going to learn Fusion360 as a comparison, but it would be nice if I didn't have to learn a whole new modeling environment to do so.

Product design, fixture design, automation.

Fredrik H.

"Easy to use and flexible CAD software"

What do you like best?

First thing I like a lot is the fact that it is a modern software developed for Windows and DirectX. It is not an old UNIX conversion with buggy OpenGL graphics and inconsistent menus like many of the big players in the industry. It is the most easy to use and logical CAD software I have used, the features make sense and the layout is very productive.

It is also a very powerful and flexible CAD software that with 3 modes of modeling: free form (T-spline), parametric and Direct modeling. This gives the designer extreme freedom of creating advanced designed products. The performance is also very good and utilitizes modern graphic cards better than many other softwares based on ie NX Parasolid kernel. Working with very large assemblies is no problem in Inventor.

It also suites a powerful program language and "smart parts" called iLogic and iParts. This makes it a very powerful software you can customize to your needs. The support from Autodesk is also good and it is very easy to find information and help online.

The huge portfolio of software available from Autodesk also means that Inventor has great interoperability with other industry leading softwares like 3D studio, Revit and AutoCAD. It can import and export in almost any file format available, even in native formats, with AnyCAD feature.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit buggy and crashes sometimes, not as much as Solidworks but still it is not without problems. Some features are not developed as much as older and more mature software but Autodesk have a quite high development speed so for every year Inventor catches up and in some cases passes the big players in terms of functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't listen to sellers of a product, do your own testing and investigation.

We use it as a second tool next to Siemens NX for converting Revit models and importing and exporting models. Also the free form tools and content center is far better in Inventor. Almost every feature is better and a lot faster in Inventor compared to Siemens NX,

"Powerful Tool"

What do you like best?

I consider this the most 'user friendly' 3D CAD platform. It has a working balance of clarity and expedience, providing solid information for a new user and many QOL features for power users to save time and effort in everyday design and engineering. Product lifecycle is seamless and painless. Works right out of the box, but has the depth of tweakability and customization to satisfy the pickiest of the hand-drafting old guard.

What do you dislike?

Error handling is not the best. Project files can sometimes be a pain.

Some FEA report items are only available by exporting a 'Report' document and not visible in the interface like everything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is no reason in my mind other than preference or industry to recommend SolidWorks or Catia over Inventor, especially considering price.

Eliminating large amounts of trial and error in real steel.

FEA allows for in-depth analysis before prints even hit the shop floor.

Improving documentation and product lifecycle

Sebastian K.

"Easy to use, flexible and fast M-Cad for all non free form heavy modeling situations and drawing."

What do you like best?

First of all - if you have Inventor, you can do everything to get a shop running - 3D-Models, 2D-Drawings, 3D-&2D-Exports for the shop or the customer documentation, even basic animation, cooperation within a workgroup

1. Intuitive interface - i can get all the basic functions to good use, just clicking through them (context sensitive right mous button menues), or reading the help-files or just going on youtube.

Only the more complex functions are sometimes demanding - but it's still easy, compared to others (creo, i'm looking at you...)

2. Easy acces and handling in large assemblies, with easy selection tools (frame), visiblility settings (isolation) and memory management tools (suppressing elements / express mode).

3. I like the customizability via the API an the openly available documentation. There is a SDK within the basic Inventor package, with templates and everything to get startet in customizing Inventor. This goes hand in hand with other Autodeks-Products, like Vault (PDM). If you can code in vb.net or C#, you can customize Inventor.

4. Sheet metal modeling is nicely done and very quick - what you see is what you get, make an unfolding to check it - export any selectable surface geometry to dxf do fabricate it. Some Systems have some more specialised functions, but i can still do much more in inventor, than my shop can fabricate with laser-cutting, punching, bending and welding - i do not need more.

5. The content center, which is the out of the box standard-parts-catalog, is very powerful when using standard parts. (Creo has nothing to compare - at my workplace we have additional software, that is a pain to use, compared to Inventor Content Center.)

6. You do not need specialised drawing personel, to make drawings - any engineer will be capable of doing that. (Sidenote - Drawing personell is needed though, because engineering is not doing the drawings in the first place - it is designing, modeling and calculating and then checking drawings ot ensure fabrication quality. At my workplace we primarily use creo - making drawings needs specialised personel, because of the really bad useability of creo drawing tools.)

What do you dislike?

1. I hate the later licensing models. I want to own the tools i use, not rent them. Inventor is a very good product, but this licensing calls for punishment...

Was supscription not enough?

2. The Content Center Configuration needs work on its stability. Especially the Excel-Based table editing tends to freeze on larger tables. And the updating of table-generated parts causes some really non-discriptive error messages.

3. Cabeling and wiring is not useable with the Item system in Vault Professional (Inventor 2014/ Vault Professional 2014). Properties of single wires of a harness are not translatable into Item Properties in Vault.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not trust any salesperson - get a test-version and try the online tutorials with valid personell.

Compare other products by this method.

If you decide for Inventor: don't ever take anything as impossible - there is a powerfull API and a very helpful documentation and community!

I am a former User and Administrator for Inventor and Vault of more than 10 years. I still have access to a workstation with Inventor 2016 on it. My first employer had Inventor in the first place. My second employer had Pro/E Wildfire3 & ProIntranet 3.4 in 2012 and was planing on the upgrade to Creo 2 with Windchill. I challenged this plan with the alternative of Inventor 2014 & Vault Professional, wich was taken after several reviews and benchmarks.

Within that project I implemented a configuration to fit the regulations of the german rail industry (FSF-Documentation). The company still uses Inventor and Vault and I never heard any complains...

At the moment I am forced to use Creo 2 - and try to implement Windchill. I see now, what could have happened at my old employer and I would not change a thing.

"Clunky but Powerful"

What do you like best?

It's powerful software that you can generally rely on. Most things are well organized, and the Autodesk team takes the time to hear your complaints and suggestions. It's a great Solidworks alternative inside the Autodesk ecosystem.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't call it buggy, but it certainly doesn't feel stable. It does crash occasionally. It has gotten better, however, but it crashed about once a week (based on 8hrs/day usage).

It's slow. Even on a powerful machine, it can be painfully slow, especially with large assemblies. This has also gotten better, and I see that continuing in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save often, learn to do things the right way so when you go back it is setup correctly.

There is a lot of automation to be had. However, the learning curve for the automation is STEEP.

Madeline K.

"Inventor for 3D Printing"

What do you like best?

I've used Inventor in design projects and work, primarily for creating and 3D printing model prototypes out of ABS plastic. It's absolutely the easiest CAD software I've used and is very manageable to pick up.

What do you dislike?

Inventor's ease of use comes with the lack of some higher-level design and test features. It doesn't have all the functionality of Siemens NX in terms of doing stress simulations. However, I haven't really needed to use that, since I'm only using it for model prototypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many online resources for using it, unlike with NX.

The main benefit I've realized is being able to export in .stl files for use in 3D printers. It accomplishes what I needed it to do without being over-complicated otherwise. It's very easy to incorporate into short-term design projects for work when you're pressed for time and need to be efficient.

Shannon R.

"Could be more user friendly"

What do you like best?

I have been using this software for around five years. It gets the job done for 3-D modeling. Once the model is complete, the drawings are easy to finish.

What do you dislike?

The program could be more user friendly. Certain areas are hard to access, and I have had lots of crashes, and lost work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a product to create 3-D models, consider this one. However, stay up to date on fixes to avoid crashes.

The 3-D model takes awhile to create, but once that is done, you can create and finish the drawings rather quickly.

Kenny C.

"Great Parametric Solid Modeler"

What do you like best?

Inventor is a rock-solid platform with a great history to it. The solid modeling engine is exceptionally stable and well suited to about any engineering project. The addition of T-Splines to Inventor means nearly any geometry can be created - from simple solids to complex surface models for industrial design projects. All of that capability and stability means that Inventor handles any job we throw at it.

What do you dislike?

I wish Inventor offered a reverse-compatibility with regards to file saves. It would be nice to be able to save out as a previous version. Currently, only the same version of higher of Inventor can read files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Inventor has been around for years and is from the company behind AutoCAD. With the future moving towards cloud-based tech, Autodesk is primed to take the lead there. Inventor and Fusion 360 (their cloud offering) already play pretty nicely together - so stay ahead of your business competition by getting on-board now!

Inventor has allowed us to streamline and automate much of our design and documentation functions. By leveraging the integrated coding tools with iLogic and the external spreadsheet linking we have been able to drive design from external stakeholders without a complicated process of design meetings or losing information through FRPs.

Brandon B.

"Autodesk Inventor"

What do you like best?

I have used this software for several years and have always felt that it was better than Solid Works. I like how intuitive a lot of controls are and, if they're not, they are easy to find and learn. The little help menus that drop down when hovering over an icon are excellent.

What do you dislike?

File types can be somewhat confusing and less intuitive than actually using the software. This could be an error/oversight on my part.

Drafting for my thesis. The biggest benefit is using the drawing space to create high quality drawings for machine shops to use.

Serhiy D.

"Great Uses for Inventor "

What do you like best?

Its a CAD software with similar interfaces to most 3D modeling software. It is easy to use and transition from other software in the same industry. It was a great interface and layout. It has support for other software and great analysis tools. I like the help functions and tutorial links when I need to make something happen.

What do you dislike?

Its not compatible with some 3D printer software and I usually have to export files manually. It is not open source friendly. I ended up to switching to SolidWorks

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Decide what you need, I struggled between Inventor and Solidworks. Inventor was good, but was troubling to use with open-source software.

Creating models for projects im working on. Using more 3d modeling to create models to 3D print my designs.

Tyler M.

"Powerful Modeling Software"

What do you like best?

Inventor is very powerful and enables you to place hundreds - if not thousands - of different parts and assemblies into larger assemblies. The controls it gives over editing these pieces and their relationships is also very powerful, and the software is popular enough you can easily discover new tips and solutions online.

What do you dislike?

Although Inventor is compatible with other software, like AutoCAD, it can be very challenging to determine how these relationships work and what does and does not work.

Inventor is helping us create parts and assemblies for large machinery. It's expediated a lot of the processes and enabled us to see potential issues before money and time are invested in fabrication.

Patrick M.

"Utilizado dentro y fuera de la industria aeroespacial"

What do you like best?

He probado una gran cantidad de softwares 3D durante estos años, pero ninguno como este. Realmente fácil de usar. Siempre he estado feliz de usarlo durante muchos años diseñando utillajes y partes de aviones increibles.

What do you dislike?

Como he usado otros tipos de programa, puedo decir rotundamente que no le encuentro ningún fallo. Comencé a usar Inventor LT hace muchos años y avancé a la versión completa

Recommendations to others considering the product:

La compañía Autodesk es sólida y estoy feliz con Inventor y AutoCAD.

Diseño artilugios y artilugios que podrían ser inseguros. El programa me permite concentrar mi atención en los detalles más pequeños a medida que construyo el dispositivo y lo ensamblo. En el camino, verifico si hay problemas de interferencia y movimiento.

"Inventor"

What do you like best?

The layout and functionality of the tools are great. The interface is also really nice. I particularly enjoy the menus for feature definition. These are much easier to view and navigate than SolidWorks.

What do you dislike?

The file structure and setup (project files, design data, etc.) can be cumbersome. We are a unique use case in that we have multiple implementations of Inventor based on our customer's needs. This results in having to manage large volumes of data to simply assist our customer in detailing parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Prepare for the setup. This is a one-time issue, but can take significant time to truly implement a clean environment. That said, there are countless options to tailor Inventor to your company's needs.

We use Inventor on a daily basis. Our specific benefits are limited based on our use-case, but we have assisted numerous customers in the development of iParts/iAssemblies and using complex implementations of iLogic. There is untold value in these features. As an aside, some additional training material or better tutorials for these features would be greatly appreciated.

Josh F.

"A great software for manufacturing and assembly drafting"

What do you like best?

Inventor can be used for modeling almost any design you can think of, either single parts or full assemblies, even large, complex ones. It's ability to export to 2D can also be incredibly useful for complicated details that would be difficult to make in just 2D.

What do you dislike?

It's not an intuitive system, it will take a lot of instruction and hands-on practice to become proficient at. Creating assemblies can sometimes be more difficult than it seems it should with the tools for aligning parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for manufacturing, but wouldn't recommend paying for if not planning to use extensively.

I've used Inventor to create a detail of threaded pipe coping. This provided a detail far more accurate than anything I could draw in AutoCAD.

"Rewarding. It has made my work so much easier and faster."

What do you like best?

Parameters and iLogic! Loading up the parameters on the front end saves so much time when I have to edit a model and a drawing.

What do you dislike?

The default view rotation when starting a new sketch. It defaults to 90 degrees from upright so that vertical is shown as horizontal. Why? It doesn't make sense and it adds clicks, which cost time. It's a small problem, but you asked.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are willing to put in the work to build custom templates and iLogic assemblies, then it can save so much time.

Stress analysis has allowed us to reduce the amount of over engineering we have to apply to certain products we make.

"El mas sencillo y potente"

What do you like best?

La interfaz es muy amigable para el usuario. Fácil de aprender y adaptarse al gusto personal. La inteligencia que está incorporada en el programa es increíblemente poderosa. Hace que sea muy fácil construir piezas y piezas una vez, manipularlas a través de parámetros e instantáneamente tener una serie de partes que varían en tamaño y que se pueden guardar y catalogar para su uso posterior. La integración perfecta en hojas y dibujos no tiene parangón en mi opinión, y la opción de coordinar proyectos a través del programa Auto-desk's Vault hace que sea muy simple deconstruir un proyecto para que un gran equipo trabaje en varias piezas y el programa volverá a asociar el partes en el modelo completo.

What do you dislike?

No hay mucho que no me guste, como todo el software de CAD en 3D, es un poco de memoria. Si acaba de mudarse de 2D, le recomiendo encarecidamente que busque un entrenamiento profesional decente en lugar de tratar de aprenderlo sobre la marcha. Es posible aprender que es suyo pero le ahorraría mucha frustración tomar al menos un par de cursos básicos.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

si sabes utilizar autocad , este es el mas cencillo

Este programa tiene una interfaz de usuario muy fácil de aprender para los usuarios principiantes. Desafortunadamente, solo tengo el 2012LT y no he usado el programa de forma regular desde 2010. Por lo tanto, algunas cosas probablemente han cambiado desde entonces.

Jared K.

"Used for rendering 3D models for marketing activations "

What do you like best?

I use this to create elements for 3D models of marketing activations activations. This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool. to add, once you learn this tool it the interface carries throughout other autodesk programs.

What do you dislike?

it was a slow learning process for me but once i learned it the interface was compatible throughout the autodesk program umbrella.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would take some time to better learn the program before using it professionally as there is a bit of a learning curve

I use this to create elements for 3D models of marketing activations activations. This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool. So clients present ideas of what they want created and i create visuals to better sell their ideas so when presented, investors are more willing to buy in.

Dale Y.

"Autodesk Inventor review"

What do you like best?

The best feature is the Autodesk community. It always amazes me how quickly my questions are answered when I post them.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to monitor how much the software is used. I would like to see Autodesk develop some server based utilities that will help us monitor software load. This will help us justify when additional licenses are needed.

Product design, simulation and documentation.

"The most intuitive 3D design software"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Inventor is that the software is very intuitive. The commands are similar to Autocad and you don't need to learn new commands if you are a usual user of the 2D design software

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Inventor is the restrictions that the software impose you to be able to extrude a 2D drawing. Sometime it is difficult to find the level that you have forgiven to add. Probably the software should inform you about the level that is not present in the drawing, to avoid to waste time finding by yourself it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are user of Autocad, Inventor is the easier software for 3D designing, because the commands are very similar and you won't need to learn new commands

3D design for manufacturing tooling and pieces to be printed using 3D printer

Learn more about Inventor

Inventor Videos

Learning about Inventor?

* We monitor all Inventor reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.