HelpSmith

4.7

HelpSmith is a help authoring tool that you can use to create HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manuals, Adobe PDF, and MS Word documents from a single source.

Work for HelpSmith?

Learning about HelpSmith?

HelpSmith Reviews

Ask HelpSmith a Question
Showing 14 HelpSmith reviews
HelpSmith review by Ian G.
Ian G.

"HelpSmith is a great way to produce HTML and printed Help files."

What do you like best?

HelpSmith is a simple to use, easy to follow, application for the creation of Help files. I mostly use HTML and printed PDF manuals to record all of the information needed to assist Users of my applications.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes find the word processor a little annoying. Using Bullets and Numbering can be confusing at times especially when you wish to add blank lines or additional information within the Bullets and Numbering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the other programs first before using HelpSmith. Then try HelpSmith, you will be pleasantly surprised.

I use HelpSmith for producing help files and manuals for the applications that I provide. The help file is the best way of explaining how to use the application and how the application processes its data. I have tried a number of help authoring programs and by far, HelpSmith has made the task of creating help files the easiest to build and with its integration into various help file formats it is far and above other products.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about HelpSmith
HelpSmith review by Jeff A.
Jeff A.

"Intuitive user friendly program"

What do you like best?

The program is designed to be similar to most programming environments. It is simple yet, meets nearly all of the needs of a good help authoring system. The program has a vast array of publication documents that can be created from the help document you create. I like the look of the compiled Web Help. The created web help file can easily be added to any system or web page. The compiled web help uses the function and navigation available with a standard web browser. The PDF compiled document utilizes the main menu to navigate around the help file. The Microsoft Word document is a basic text document formatted to Word specifications.

What do you dislike?

The program does not handle the addition of videos as well as it should. The embedded video is attached to the page but, does not show correctly on all complied version of the created help document. The compiled help documents do not all look the same. I did find the word document is sometimes breaks pages with the header and/or footer on a separate page. The PDF compiled help sometimes adds an extra blank page to the document.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test out the various program available and see which best meets your needs. We found this product to be intuitive, easy to use and priced reasonably. The support staff is very responsive and made changes to the program just to meet my issues.

We created a help system for the enterprise version of our food plant MRP system. We upgrade the help on a regular basis with ease. We are using the printed, PDF and Web help compiled versions of the help file.

What Help Authoring Tool (HAT) solution do you use?

HelpSmith review by Steve N.
Steve N.

"HelpSmith - Best Help Development System for Application Developers"

What do you like best?

I have used HelpSmith for a number of projects that I distribute on my own website. It is without a doubt the easiest to use Help System I have found among the many I have researched and tried over the years.

What do you dislike?

I still have HelpSmith version 5.x and as far as I know it is still reliant on the Microsoft Help Workshop software. If it still reliant on such software, my suggestion would be to find a way to provide a different compiler for the product since with Microsoft's past history one never knows when this product may be pulled from distribution.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolutely recommend this product. For those that are selling\distributing projects you cannot find an easier to use system for developing Help Files and Information than that which is HelpSmith

I use HelpSmith for the very reason it was designed for; to create Help System for the projects that I distribute. In my view, a well defined Help File is still the best documentation format available for such work. They are easy to build with HelpSmith, compact and compartmentalized. And if a user would like to be able to print a hard-copy of the information, he or she can simply request a version for printing.

HelpSmith review by Denis P.
Denis P.

"Fast and Easy"

What do you like best?

I was able to create a Help file that mirrored my user manual. HelpSmith organized my help information clearly and easily. Edits are a breeze and it keeps everything together for me in one place.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the fonts display a little small on my 4K screen, making it hard to read. But that is a small price to pay for how easy it is to use.

With Helpsmith we spend much less time maintaining the help portion of our application, which can be very time consuming. In fact, we really don't worry about it at all.

HelpSmith review by Estefani P.
Estefani P.

"Easy to Use Software"

What do you like best?

I find the program to be very intuitive and practical. The interface is presented in a familiar format so I am able to find things easily.

What do you dislike?

When I first opened the program I would have liked to see a tour of the program that walks me through the various elements of the software.

We are creating help documentation for our software. The benefits of using HelpSmith are the time that it saves us in having to organize the information ourselves.

HelpSmith review by Michael P.
Michael P.

"Simple and reliable"

What do you like best?

Its easy to get along with HelpSmith - even new users can get up to speed intuitively to produce content. We have used the product for years for our product help documentation and will continue to do so

What do you dislike?

The earlier versions don't scale 4k screen grabs very well

Our product is used by persons from many different cultures, so help content needs to be simple and include embedded diagrams and screen prints for easy communication of concepts and methods. We also rely on context sensitive help to focus the reader on a specific topic to avoid overwhelming them with detail. HelpSmith allows us to control this content and embed it in our applicaiton very easily

HelpSmith review by Dale O.
Dale O.

"Helpsmith is a great tool for creating help systems. "

What do you like best?

Organization is easy to achieve and maintaining consistent formatted information is super easy. Gone are the days of manual help system creation using the original Microsoft tool. Other tools do not have the suite of tools/methods contained in HelpSmith. Templates are helpful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes extra pages appear which take time to track down the source.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the Demo.

Benefits are easily created help systems that are easily updated. Publishing hard copy manuals is also easy.

HelpSmith review by Roberto G.
Roberto G.

"the editor offers speed, simplicity and efficiency for your application manual"

What do you like best?

the timing of the topic with its explanatory texts

What do you dislike?

the context tool could export in addition to the code along the topic title

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not waste time with other competing products, HelpSmith offers security and efficiency to edit the manual of your applications.

he helpsmith pretty much allows me to clarify very well the operation of my application, from there practically the support of my applications are benefited.

HelpSmith review by Neal C.
Neal C.

"Helpsmith is full-featured and very reasonably priced"

What do you like best?

The program has more features than I would possibly expect at this price point and gets more every release. Very good quality also.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything to criticize. Its important that we realize that other programs are so expensi ve they are assuming you do not care about value.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just look at the price of these products!

Authoring help files for program

HelpSmith review by Buz H.
Buz H.

"HelpSmith for Access help documentation"

What do you like best?

I have found HelpSmith to be a very user friendly application for developing documentation for programs I have been writing. Everything from managing text to illustrations is very straightforward and robust. It also offers a wide verity of compiled outputs from HTML to PDF and Word. I like the ability to create templates to save time when creating multiple documents. I have tried other help file products and this has been the best that I have found.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I dislike.

I have been using HelpSmith to create help files for Access database programs I have written.

HelpSmith review by Administrator in Accounting
Administrator in Accounting

"Great product and easy to use"

What do you like best?

The best feature of the product is that it is easy to use. I became proficient with it in less than an hour. I was able to start authoring our help the same day.

What do you dislike?

Not much, it seams to have all the features that we need.

We need to author help text for our accounting software application. The product is easy and makes it fast to add or edit our help text.

HelpSmith review by User

"Complete and easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the possibility to generate several document types (chm, pdf, etc) from a single file.

What do you dislike?

I would have liked to have syntax highlighting but I believe this feature will be present in the new version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test it and you will enjoy it.

All my application help files have been made with HelpSmith for years and I've never had any problems.

HelpSmith review by Administrator

"Help system for taxpayers"

What do you like best?

I've been using HelpSmith since 2015. most of all I use Webhelp compilation for guide to the tax code

What do you dislike?

Not have Georgian menu, but works with Georgian fonts well

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Helpsmith stably works. Helps create big help systems

The Tax Code of Georgia has about 3500 comments. Help system for taxpayers

HelpSmith review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I really like the flexibility of HelpSmith. It allows me to build my help menu the way I want it, and the multiple templates make it easy to keep consistency and professionalism throughout.

What do you dislike?

There's not really anything I dislike about it.

HelpSmith has helped us cut down on direct calls to support staff.

Learning about HelpSmith?

* We monitor all HelpSmith reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.