HelpSmith Reviews & Product Details

HelpSmith Overview

What is HelpSmith?

HelpSmith is a help authoring tool that you can use to create HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manuals, Adobe PDF, MS Word documents, and ePub eBooks from a single source. HelpSmith includes a rich feature set combined with an easy-to-use user interface with a slight learning curve. Among the advanced features available in HelpSmith is the built-in Image Tool that significantly simplifies the way of writing documentation for user interfaces. For example, you can easily capture screenshots, create various annotations for images (balloons, arrows, ellipses, text labels, etc.), add clickable hotspots, and also use control annotations for UI elements that can be exported into the help topic where you can provide a detailed description for each control.

HelpSmith Details

HelpSmith is a help authoring tool that you can use to create HTML Help (CHM), Web Help, Printed Manuals, Adobe PDF, and MS Word documents from a single source.

Divcom Software
Vancouver, Canada

HelpSmith Screenshots

HelpSmith Reviews

Showing 14 HelpSmith reviews
Already have HelpSmith?
What do you like best?

HelpSmith is a simple to use, easy to follow, application for the creation of Help files. I mostly use HTML and printed PDF manuals to record all of the information needed to assist Users of my applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes find the word processor a little annoying. Using Bullets and Numbering can be confusing at times especially when you wish to add blank lines or additional information within the Bullets and Numbering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the other programs first before using HelpSmith. Then try HelpSmith, you will be pleasantly surprised. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use HelpSmith for producing help files and manuals for the applications that I provide. The help file is the best way of explaining how to use the application and how the application processes its data. I have tried a number of help authoring programs and by far, HelpSmith has made the task of creating help files the easiest to build and with its integration into various help file formats it is far and above other products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

The program is designed to be similar to most programming environments. It is simple yet, meets nearly all of the needs of a good help authoring system. The program has a vast array of publication documents that can be created from the help document you create. I like the look of the compiled Web Help. The created web help file can easily be added to any system or web page. The compiled web help uses the function and navigation available with a standard web browser. The PDF compiled document utilizes the main menu to navigate around the help file. The Microsoft Word document is a basic text document formatted to Word specifications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program does not handle the addition of videos as well as it should. The embedded video is attached to the page but, does not show correctly on all complied version of the created help document. The compiled help documents do not all look the same. I did find the word document is sometimes breaks pages with the header and/or footer on a separate page. The PDF compiled help sometimes adds an extra blank page to the document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test out the various program available and see which best meets your needs. We found this product to be intuitive, easy to use and priced reasonably. The support staff is very responsive and made changes to the program just to meet my issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We created a help system for the enterprise version of our food plant MRP system. We upgrade the help on a regular basis with ease. We are using the printed, PDF and Web help compiled versions of the help file. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Software Enginer
What do you like best?

I have used HelpSmith for a number of projects that I distribute on my own website. It is without a doubt the easiest to use Help System I have found among the many I have researched and tried over the years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I still have HelpSmith version 5.x and as far as I know it is still reliant on the Microsoft Help Workshop software. If it still reliant on such software, my suggestion would be to find a way to provide a different compiler for the product since with Microsoft's past history one never knows when this product may be pulled from distribution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolutely recommend this product. For those that are selling\distributing projects you cannot find an easier to use system for developing Help Files and Information than that which is HelpSmith Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use HelpSmith for the very reason it was designed for; to create Help System for the projects that I distribute. In my view, a well defined Help File is still the best documentation format available for such work. They are easy to build with HelpSmith, compact and compartmentalized. And if a user would like to be able to print a hard-copy of the information, he or she can simply request a version for printing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I was able to create a Help file that mirrored my user manual. HelpSmith organized my help information clearly and easily. Edits are a breeze and it keeps everything together for me in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the fonts display a little small on my 4K screen, making it hard to read. But that is a small price to pay for how easy it is to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Helpsmith we spend much less time maintaining the help portion of our application, which can be very time consuming. In fact, we really don't worry about it at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I find the program to be very intuitive and practical. The interface is presented in a familiar format so I am able to find things easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I first opened the program I would have liked to see a tour of the program that walks me through the various elements of the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are creating help documentation for our software. The benefits of using HelpSmith are the time that it saves us in having to organize the information ourselves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

Its easy to get along with HelpSmith - even new users can get up to speed intuitively to produce content. We have used the product for years for our product help documentation and will continue to do so Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The earlier versions don't scale 4k screen grabs very well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our product is used by persons from many different cultures, so help content needs to be simple and include embedded diagrams and screen prints for easy communication of concepts and methods. We also rely on context sensitive help to focus the reader on a specific topic to avoid overwhelming them with detail. HelpSmith allows us to control this content and embed it in our applicaiton very easily Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director Contracts & Estimating
Maritime
What do you like best?

Organization is easy to achieve and maintaining consistent formatted information is super easy. Gone are the days of manual help system creation using the original Microsoft tool. Other tools do not have the suite of tools/methods contained in HelpSmith. Templates are helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes extra pages appear which take time to track down the source. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the Demo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits are easily created help systems that are easily updated. Publishing hard copy manuals is also easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

the timing of the topic with its explanatory texts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

the context tool could export in addition to the code along the topic title Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not waste time with other competing products, HelpSmith offers security and efficiency to edit the manual of your applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

he helpsmith pretty much allows me to clarify very well the operation of my application, from there practically the support of my applications are benefited. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The program has more features than I would possibly expect at this price point and gets more every release. Very good quality also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything to criticize. Its important that we realize that other programs are so expensi ve they are assuming you do not care about value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just look at the price of these products! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Authoring help files for program Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have found HelpSmith to be a very user friendly application for developing documentation for programs I have been writing. Everything from managing text to illustrations is very straightforward and robust. It also offers a wide verity of compiled outputs from HTML to PDF and Word. I like the ability to create templates to save time when creating multiple documents. I have tried other help file products and this has been the best that I have found. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything that I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using HelpSmith to create help files for Access database programs I have written. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

The best feature of the product is that it is easy to use. I became proficient with it in less than an hour. I was able to start authoring our help the same day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much, it seams to have all the features that we need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need to author help text for our accounting software application. The product is easy and makes it fast to add or edit our help text. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like the possibility to generate several document types (chm, pdf, etc) from a single file. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would have liked to have syntax highlighting but I believe this feature will be present in the new version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test it and you will enjoy it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All my application help files have been made with HelpSmith for years and I've never had any problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

I've been using HelpSmith since 2015. most of all I use Webhelp compilation for guide to the tax code Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not have Georgian menu, but works with Georgian fonts well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Helpsmith stably works. Helps create big help systems Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Tax Code of Georgia has about 3500 comments. Help system for taxpayers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really like the flexibility of HelpSmith. It allows me to build my help menu the way I want it, and the multiple templates make it easy to keep consistency and professionalism throughout. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not really anything I dislike about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

HelpSmith has helped us cut down on direct calls to support staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for HelpSmith?

HelpSmith Categories on G2