Braintree Direct Reviews & Product Details

Braintree Direct Overview

What is Braintree Direct?

Braintree is a payments company that provides elegant tools for developers and white-glove support

Braintree Direct Details

Braintree's robust, multifaceted platform is ideal for subscription-based businesses wanting to set up recurring billing or accept repeat payments online.

PayPal
30,310 employees on LinkedIn®

Braintree Direct Screenshots

Braintree Direct Reviews

Showing 73 Braintree Direct reviews
Already have Braintree Direct?
Software Engineer
What do you like best?

The best part of this network is that Braintree Payment Acceptance is pretty smooth because clients have already stored their card details on our e-commerce website. That was convenient for our clients because they don't have to offer their card details every time, we order them over the web. So, I appreciate the opportunity to protect credit card details anytime our client wants us to do so. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downside I have to live with is that it's not meant for company owners with a physical shop, although it can be used for PayPal software for personal transactions. There are a lot of physical store owners and they want to make use of this facility, but Braintree doesn't offer this opportunity and that's a big disadvantage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I highly suggest Braintree as it is a very stable online payment platform that integrates well with other payment providers that we use, even though Braintree is our only payment processor. It's driven by PayPal that we've been using for several years, and Braintree has an outstanding collaboration with Big Commerce. Overall, It's a secure, convenient-to-use payment processing system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This is a terrible company, and you should not use it. Read below for more details. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Braintree Payments  (a PayPal company) is a scam and nobody should sign up for it, just like it's parent company is a scam.

We have used it for exactly 10 days before we had to pull the plug from using it. This is the story - we are a Cyprus based company (EU) but our eCommerce website's main currency is USD. When we signed up with  Braintree Payments, we have told them that we would like to be paid in USD and that USD should be the default currency of the account. We've added a USD bank account to our Braintree account, it is a USD account even that the bank itself is located in Cyprus. So we had a USD account, were paid in USD, and we have asked them to settle the payments into a USD account. However, to our horror, we've discovered that Briantree FORCES us to convert our funds to Euro before they made the deposit into our bank account, converting the USD to Euro with a horrible rate (of course) which ended up with a total processing fee of 8%. We, of course, stopped using them immediately, and they refused to compensate us for this little scam that they've pulled on us, saying that if we wanted to settle in USD, we would have to apply again.

I want to stress, again, that we were told that our "default currency" is USD and not in a million years we would imagine that for "some reason" (the reason being - they want to make more profit) they would FORCE us to convert the funds to Euro before settling. Again, the real reason that they are doing this is so they can make some extra cash on the currency conversion spread. This is something that PayPal, which owns Braintree has been doing for years, and there were and are dozens of lawsuits against PayPal around the world for them forcing all sorts of fees relating to currency conversions on their customers.

We would recommend everybody to avoid this shitty scammy company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No benefits, only problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

They are really good to find loosers to use their service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm a seller from EU, HUngary, got payments from all over the world. I've closed my EUR bank account, which was accepted by BT. First awful service: they continue accept payments at the payment gateway, transfer the cash, which were returned to them. But - and this is the disgusting part - they don't send a single mail about the refused payments.

Later realized I missed the payments, so wrote to the support. Not a joke, talked to at least 5 people, all were incompetent, I just wanted to get money to my HUF account. Why they refused to transfer? They are not sure my HUF bank account could accept EUR transfers. In 2019, this is nonsense.

I've asked my bank to send me a certificate my account could accept EUR. They wrote it. BT refused to accept it.

So I reopened my original bank account, the EUR one. All details are the same, asked BT to transfer. Their excuse: on my bank statement there is the SWIFT number of my bank, but they need the BIC. Which are the same.

Since October of 2018, since more than a half year I want to have my money.

Please NEVER USE their "service" Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They are really good to find excuses Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

one of the most famous services to implement a payment service Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We have been their customers for years with two different and very well known web services. Unfortunately when there is a problem their support team and their risk team has some important issues:

1 - very slow

2 - do not help in solving the problem

3 - no customer care

Our company will soon move to another provider since we are VERY disappointed about how they treat their customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use it - very disappointed with their support and risk management team Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No real benefits compared to similar services - The quality of the platform is ok but the customer service is terrible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SAP Consultant
International Affairs
What do you like best?

For me, the fees are lower than those with other providers like Stripe etc.

I got relatively quick service feedback, within 24-48 hours Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It was a bit complicated to set up the risk/security bits on my profile, as I am just starting out and the questions were difficult to answer. But I just had to get really informed about this serious business of taking payments and then that was sorted too. The customer support was also helpful to get this sorted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I collect payments globally and have the lowest possible fees on them, the interface is quite simple and the customer service is good Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IW
What do you like best?

Free virtual terminal, free gateway and well documented api. The discount rate is competitive comparing to stripe and squareup and other merchant accounts using payment gateway, such as authorize.net...and merchants can accept different types of credit cards, much better than authorize.net. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Have to write api scripts to connect with shopping cart but it is easy. Other than that, nothing to not like it about. However, some large transaction requires manual approval by their risk department. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has many free features without nonsense fees, unlike regular merchant account but it is a regular merchant account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Save lots of fees on processing credit cards and customers can always find their payment receipts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Developer
Human Resources
What do you like best?

Simple integration and lovely api. Awesome gem.

They have all the required apis which any merchant requires. There was one rquirement i need from braintree. It was to fetch all transaction of a day.

The version which we used i guess it was 2.0 or something, i needed to upgrade my gem version to 2.22.0 and used the api i wanted. It was a simple task and explored a lot about braintree. I completed the task in a day and was pushed to production the same day. It was an lovely experience. Would love to be a part of braintree and would love to contribute to this open sourced gem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There were NO reason i DISLIKED the gem. The gem is seriously awesome. Minimum failure rate. To be very frank, Indian payment gateways need a gateway like braintree, for easy integration and development.

I hope braintree comes soon in india and make the gateway system bug free and customers happy.

Waiting for braintree arrival in India.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Braintree is simply the best. We should use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Payments and single step checkout solved a lot of my problems. The transparent redirect was the best which i loved.

We face issues were we go to the merchant panel and select our card / add card and then return back to merchant website. Braintree transparent redirect was the best thing which i have ever seen. It is fast and extremely user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Designer, Managing Director
What do you like best?

They don't have any monthly rates. I also frequently set up automatic subscriptions and there's no additional charge for that. I can securely store client credit cards for when they need to be billed again at a later date rather than having to make the client enter their credit card on an online page every time. This is inconvenient for my clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I preferred Braintree before it was bought by Paypal. Once it became part of Paypal it seems to now follow all of Paypals structures and pricing. It doesn't have the monthly cost of Paypal's business options so I still think Braintree is the best out there. I'm disappointed that they took away the no fees for up to 50k of charges for the first year. This was such a selling point when I told others about Braintree. I LOVE braintree but I'd be less likely to recommend it now because it isn't intuitive for non-techy people who can find other options at similar rates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All of my credit card processing. They make it simple so I don't have to worry about the more difficult aspects of maintaining PCI compliance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

Processing payments in Braintree is pretty seamless when customers have previously saved their card information on our e-commerce website. That has been convenient for our customers so that they don't have to provide their card information each time we place orders for them over the phone. So, we love the vault and the ability to save credit card info when our customer's requests that we do so. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The chargeback and fraud process in Braintree is quite confusing and the organization of the original transaction and dispute info is complicated. For example, when you click on the dispute id in a chargeback, the dispute info doesn't include the original order id#. So, you then have to go back, select the transaction id, then you are able to view the original order id#. It would be helpful if all order id #'s and applicable information from the original transaction was included in the dispute information. Not having all necessary information in one central location is frustrating. Overall, the organization of information isn't clear and the process is not particularly easy to do.

Using the search function in Braintree is hit or miss- especially when the transaction is over 30 days old. For example, oftentimes we search by order id# in the search bar and are able to find the transaction we're looking for, but other times we search by order id# and nothing comes up. At that point, we have to use the advanced search feature, make sure the filter matches EXACTLY what we're searching for (contains, is not, etc.) and try to locate the transaction that way. It seems like there is either an issue with older transaction OR the search bar isn't "smart." Either way, the search bar doesn't seem to perform the way I assume it's supposed to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend spending time in a sandbox or demo of Braintree before opting to go this route. In theory the search bar is great, but in reality it doesn't work consistently and is pretty frustrating. The organization of information for specific transactions is also a headache. There are just too many id's (dispute, transaction, order id, reference#, case id). I understand that this info is important, but feel that the organization is confusing and unclear. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Braintree's vault has been especially useful in that we do not have to ask our customer's to provide their card info each time they place an order. That is the only benefit that I've realized when comparing Braintree to other payment processors that we've used in the past. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder - CEO
What do you like best?

Supports so many payment methods. Easy documentation to follow. Multivendor and card hold capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The admin panel is a bit funky. It should be much easier to view customers and transactions without having to go into the search. IE needs a better admin dashboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Solid platform, give it a try if the current solution isn't working. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Handling customer payments, doing subscription payments. Embedding within our software for clients to handle their payments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's simple, well organized, and makes sense. There are so many traceable ways to find and figure information, and the program gives you multiple entry points. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be hard to navigate for that same reason. Tracing information down might be hard if you don't have enough on your end, but it does make that more accurate. Something very important when dealing with money and payment processing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can only compare Braintree as a payment processor to Stripe, and it's head and heels better than their platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mainly, it's utilized for charges, refunds, and setting new payment users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Retail
What do you like best?

Small businesses are targeted by fraudsters who have gotten hold of someone's credit card number. We have had an issue with this in the past and it cost us a lot of money with our old payment verification system. We found out the hard way that, although it was difficult to use, it lacked the necessary security, and fraudulent orders were not discovered until it was too late, and we were not covered when the charges were disputed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is absolutely essential that you follow all of the sign-up procedures and read all documents. We did face a problem 90 days in where every single customer was refunded their money because of a missed step. We got the issue resolved, but it was a rough day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will not be sorry if you use this program. It does not require any special skills, but is safe and secure. The few issues I have had (and you should always expect to have some issues with any program) were fixed immediately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have seen a decrease in fraud attempts and chargeback claims. We recently had a customer tell us that they will be shopping with our company in the future because we are more secure than other online stores. The refund process is easy to use. We can accept more forms of payment. The whole process is user-friendly from start to finish. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

nothing really. They were recommended to us by our investor, but I wish we went with another payment processor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Offered us individual pricing and promised it would take our costs down, in fact that increased our costs by 30%. When we reduced the amount of payments processed through them, they deactivated API without warning. We lost thousands of dollars before we could figure out where the bug was coming from. Never use Braintree. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

choose Stripe Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

tried to process payments Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CTO
Internet
What do you like best?

I really liked the ease of integration with both Rails and Javascript as well as the simple addition of Paypal to increase sales. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the pricing come down just a little, especially with startups. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product and I know there are others in the space like Stripe. Braintree has all the great features and simple Paypal integration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It provided us an easy payments processor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Support Representative
Consumer Electronics
What do you like best?

It's easy and secure. The credit cards are easily retrievable to charge through the POS system we have Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly no complaints right now. I wish it was easier to manage in multiple restaurants but still works just fine. Just need individual accounts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Taking payments by customers, charging late fees and no show coverage fees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Business Systems Analyst-Internet Development
Retail
What do you like best?

Easy integration with our website. We were able to replace our payment page payment section with Braintree payment and format to our brand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We had some issues with backend integration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PCI - we no longer have to have customer credit card data on our network. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Advocate - Customer Care
Retail
What do you like best?

Braintree is easy to search and allows you to easily find transactions you need to verify. Braintree is easy to use and allows you to track your accounts and manage subscriptions easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Braintree can sometimes not give you all the information you are looking to find for an account. Braintree Recurring Billing can also be slow to use when you have a high volume of subscriptions that you are managing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Braintree recurring billing if you have a simple subscription based product or program that you need to obtain payment for. Braintree is easy to use and customer service agents can easily use the software and use it to verify payments and accounts for customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Braintree allows you to easily manage your subscriptions and obtain recurring payments from user accounts. The benefits of Braintree are that you can easily set up customer accounts and track billing for your customer subscriptions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Quick interface & easy implementation, however the lack of professionalism in their customer care and management team overlaps any benefits that the actual platform provides Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Ridiculous customer support, awful reporting of transactions. No feedback on important matters such as chargebacks or credit card frauds and awful notification procedures. Actually, I faced 5 chargeback cases, Braintree instantly informed me via email for 2 of those, while for the other 3 they never notified me and held my funds without providing any official reason. When i requested for adidtional information they fowarded me to AIBMS, and AIBMS forwarded me back to Braintree. No professionalism at all Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest to stay away from Braintreee as a payment gatway solution. Their software is strong, however they are not ready for Europe yet and the level of professionalism in their management levels is extremely low. Not a partner to trust your funds with Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The only benefit is their native UI, however compared to the problems they have caused me all their advantages are vanished Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

The easy integration with bigcommerce shopping cart software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The support at braintree is terrible as they just refer you to paypal, who in turn refer you back to braintree. It is simply a chaotic mess at this company and it is the customer who suffers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go with another merchant account provider if you can. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest problem is the deal between paypal, braintree, and bigcommerce. If you have an ecommerce store hosted by bigcommerce and you have any type of service issue, you are entering a black whole of customer service representatives in which nobody is accountable.

I ended up having to just find another merchant account after dealing with this mess. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP, Finance and Accounting
What do you like best?

Braintree pro's:

1) Integrated API with our own tools

2) Extremely user friendly search feature

3) Global reach Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Braintree con's:

1) Charges wire fees to deposit funds outside the US Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Braintree payments enhances our integration both to our website and to NetSuite. We've employed the Celigo integrator to design a custom flow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We settle all our credit card payments through Braintree in the US and UK. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The interface is easy to use. I like the verifications section that allows you to see when and why a payment failed or declined. BT makes it super easy to run the payment again. The design is clean and uncluttered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Every once in awhile (and rarely) we seem to have some BT issues with payments not going through for seemingly no reason whatsoever. You try the card again immediately and it processes without any issue whatsoever. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

learn how to use the verifications feature. It's useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

repeat billing for a subscription service at different plan levels/memberships. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

II
What do you like best?

Easy subscription management and low commissions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cannot upgrade or downgrade to different billing periods on same subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you design your subscriptions plans correctly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Maintain plans, subscriptions, customer vaults are the problems I am solving. Benefit is great customer service and not bad in responding to emails. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
Financial Services
What do you like best?

Once it is set up, it has not given us almost any problem. Allows customization of most parameters:, offers drop-in forms (although we don't use them), and also custom ones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They do not provide API access to discount and plan creation, so we have to do it by hand on their web console. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read the documentation first: the documentation code snippets can be seen matching the SDK of the language you're using, so it's always easy to follow. Use the client libraries: we use the Ruby one and it works like a charm.

For local testing you can use the sandbox, it has the same features as the production one, and you can use fake credit cards on it.

For testing, we use the fake_braintree gem, but you can also mock the web calls, or record them with something like Ruby's VCR. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are charging our customers via a recurring subscription, with discounts and custom plans. We also sell gift cards of our services, charged via Braintree as one-off payments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Their payment gateway was fairly simple, and the customer side support was pretty tolerable. Their head of risk department had shown some decent support until I've brought up extremely serious issues. They all have gone radio silent since then. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Braintree payments has promised the company I was part of to have the merchant account funds released. They have held the funds for over 4-5 months now. Bobby Nickrent at Braintree has managed to manipulate my ex-partner and their whole company has decided to abort contact with me. I have made several unsuccessful attempts to speak with their team, yet every single request has been ignored.

Conveniently they have also taken advantage of the situation between myself and my ex-partner. They still hold thousands of dollars as of this very moment, despite the customer's product has already been delivered months ago. Beware working with a company like this.

I also have evidence to show that Braintree, and more specifically Bobby Nickrent has been compromising merchant's data, toying with it for his own benefit. Stay away from this company! They have robbed the business I've set up.

Total amount : $100k+

Amount held unrightfully : $40k+

Bobby Nickrent from Braintree is notoriously known for shutting down merchant accounts for no valid reasons. He should apply for Guinness records to measure the amount of incompetence he has, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There's only one thing that can compete with his incompetence - that is his ego-filled personality.

Ironically, this merchant-sucking-vampire isn't the brightest candle in the room. His historically shady past has always been overlooked by Braintree's team. I have personally tried to voice my opinion over, to which Braintree decided to not communicate with me anymore.

Bobby Nickrent from Braintree Payments is a Scammer. He also violates several Merchant laws, as well as some Federal laws. Take a look at some of the attached screenshots from his personal Facebook profile.

I have complained about his Facebook posts to their head of Risk team. Guess what the solution was? They simply decided to not communicate with me anymore. Isn't that comical?

Predictably, the Facebook posts have also disappeared now. This proves the point that they have taken a look at my complaint, simply tried to cover their ***, and decided to not communicate with me anymore.

Luckily, I have saved a copy of the posts on Archive Web. Below are the links for your reference -

If you're working with Braintree, your data is at a HUGE RISK! Braintree has not taken any action against this, instead decided to cut contact with me. As a merchant, would you like to have your business disclosed to some random blokes on Facebook?

That's just the beginning. So if you're thinking to work with Braintree, I suggest you think twice... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The fate of your business is determine by who you run into over the phone. While others have been professional, the same can't be attested about a few others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Self-employed
What do you like best?

I have been using Braintree for around 4 years now. The experience has been great. I have never had to spend too much time when integrating it on my projects. It fits super well with any Ruby stack. And their API is extremely well done. They also have a good customer support and the response is always super fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I found out that Braintree was being acquired by PayPal I got a little scare, by that time PayPal didn't have a good reputation and I already had 2 projects running on production, so I thought the price was going to rise. It didn't happened but I still think that it shouldn't happen. Braintree would be even better if they would have continued on their on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're planning to integrate Braintree into a Ruby on Rails project I would recommend you to extract all the logic into a separate module or lib. and use interfaces when charging and dealing with the common actions. This way you will be able to change to another provider if needed by only changing module or lib. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I think I have used almost every feature of Braintree, from simple customer charge to recurring payments for Business with discounts. If you ever need to receive money no matter from, Braintree is the way to go with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Braintree Direct?