Braintree Direct Reviews & Product Details

What is Braintree Direct?

Braintree is a payments company that provides elegant tools for developers and white-glove support

Braintree Direct Screenshots

1-25 of 71 total Braintree Direct reviews

Braintree Direct Reviews

1-25 of 71 total Braintree Direct reviews
Senior Software Developer

"One of the best gateway"

What do you like best?

Simple integration and lovely api. Awesome gem.

They have all the required apis which any merchant requires. There was one rquirement i need from braintree. It was to fetch all transaction of a day.

The version which we used i guess it was 2.0 or something, i needed to upgrade my gem version to 2.22.0 and used the api i wanted. It was a simple task and explored a lot about braintree. I completed the task in a day and was pushed to production the same day. It was an lovely experience. Would love to be a part of braintree and would love to contribute to this open sourced gem.

What do you dislike?

There were NO reason i DISLIKED the gem. The gem is seriously awesome. Minimum failure rate. To be very frank, Indian payment gateways need a gateway like braintree, for easy integration and development.

I hope braintree comes soon in india and make the gateway system bug free and customers happy.

Waiting for braintree arrival in India.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Braintree is simply the best. We should use it.

Payments and single step checkout solved a lot of my problems. The transparent redirect was the best which i loved.

We face issues were we go to the merchant panel and select our card / add card and then return back to merchant website. Braintree transparent redirect was the best thing which i have ever seen. It is fast and extremely user friendly.

Web Designer, Managing Director

"Great rates for full features "

What do you like best?

They don't have any monthly rates. I also frequently set up automatic subscriptions and there's no additional charge for that. I can securely store client credit cards for when they need to be billed again at a later date rather than having to make the client enter their credit card on an online page every time. This is inconvenient for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I preferred Braintree before it was bought by Paypal. Once it became part of Paypal it seems to now follow all of Paypals structures and pricing. It doesn't have the monthly cost of Paypal's business options so I still think Braintree is the best out there. I'm disappointed that they took away the no fees for up to 50k of charges for the first year. This was such a selling point when I told others about Braintree. I LOVE braintree but I'd be less likely to recommend it now because it isn't intuitive for non-techy people who can find other options at similar rates.

All of my credit card processing. They make it simple so I don't have to worry about the more difficult aspects of maintaining PCI compliance.

Retail

"Best Security For Best Price"

What do you like best?

Small businesses are targeted by fraudsters who have gotten hold of someone's credit card number. We have had an issue with this in the past and it cost us a lot of money with our old payment verification system. We found out the hard way that, although it was difficult to use, it lacked the necessary security, and fraudulent orders were not discovered until it was too late, and we were not covered when the charges were disputed.

What do you dislike?

It is absolutely essential that you follow all of the sign-up procedures and read all documents. We did face a problem 90 days in where every single customer was refunded their money because of a missed step. We got the issue resolved, but it was a rough day.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will not be sorry if you use this program. It does not require any special skills, but is safe and secure. The few issues I have had (and you should always expect to have some issues with any program) were fixed immediately.

We have seen a decrease in fraud attempts and chargeback claims. We recently had a customer tell us that they will be shopping with our company in the future because we are more secure than other online stores. The refund process is easy to use. We can accept more forms of payment. The whole process is user-friendly from start to finish.

SAP Consultant
International Affairs

"Low fees, nice support and high security"

What do you like best?

For me, the fees are lower than those with other providers like Stripe etc.

I got relatively quick service feedback, within 24-48 hours

What do you dislike?

It was a bit complicated to set up the risk/security bits on my profile, as I am just starting out and the questions were difficult to answer. But I just had to get really informed about this serious business of taking payments and then that was sorted too. The customer support was also helpful to get this sorted.

I collect payments globally and have the lowest possible fees on them, the interface is quite simple and the customer service is good

"Ease of use is poor "

What do you like best?

Processing payments in Braintree is pretty seamless when customers have previously saved their card information on our e-commerce website. That has been convenient for our customers so that they don't have to provide their card information each time we place orders for them over the phone. So, we love the vault and the ability to save credit card info when our customer's requests that we do so.

What do you dislike?

The chargeback and fraud process in Braintree is quite confusing and the organization of the original transaction and dispute info is complicated. For example, when you click on the dispute id in a chargeback, the dispute info doesn't include the original order id#. So, you then have to go back, select the transaction id, then you are able to view the original order id#. It would be helpful if all order id #'s and applicable information from the original transaction was included in the dispute information. Not having all necessary information in one central location is frustrating. Overall, the organization of information isn't clear and the process is not particularly easy to do.

Using the search function in Braintree is hit or miss- especially when the transaction is over 30 days old. For example, oftentimes we search by order id# in the search bar and are able to find the transaction we're looking for, but other times we search by order id# and nothing comes up. At that point, we have to use the advanced search feature, make sure the filter matches EXACTLY what we're searching for (contains, is not, etc.) and try to locate the transaction that way. It seems like there is either an issue with older transaction OR the search bar isn't "smart." Either way, the search bar doesn't seem to perform the way I assume it's supposed to.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend spending time in a sandbox or demo of Braintree before opting to go this route. In theory the search bar is great, but in reality it doesn't work consistently and is pretty frustrating. The organization of information for specific transactions is also a headache. There are just too many id's (dispute, transaction, order id, reference#, case id). I understand that this info is important, but feel that the organization is confusing and unclear.

Braintree's vault has been especially useful in that we do not have to ask our customer's to provide their card info each time they place an order. That is the only benefit that I've realized when comparing Braintree to other payment processors that we've used in the past.

"Awful - after 160 (!) mails they still owe me a huge buch of money"

What do you like best?

They are really good to find loosers to use their service

What do you dislike?

I'm a seller from EU, HUngary, got payments from all over the world. I've closed my EUR bank account, which was accepted by BT. First awful service: they continue accept payments at the payment gateway, transfer the cash, which were returned to them. But - and this is the disgusting part - they don't send a single mail about the refused payments.

Later realized I missed the payments, so wrote to the support. Not a joke, talked to at least 5 people, all were incompetent, I just wanted to get money to my HUF account. Why they refused to transfer? They are not sure my HUF bank account could accept EUR transfers. In 2019, this is nonsense.

I've asked my bank to send me a certificate my account could accept EUR. They wrote it. BT refused to accept it.

So I reopened my original bank account, the EUR one. All details are the same, asked BT to transfer. Their excuse: on my bank statement there is the SWIFT number of my bank, but they need the BIC. Which are the same.

Since October of 2018, since more than a half year I want to have my money.

Please NEVER USE their "service"

They are really good to find excuses

Senior Advocate - Customer Care

"Braintree"

What do you like best?

Braintree is easy to search and allows you to easily find transactions you need to verify. Braintree is easy to use and allows you to track your accounts and manage subscriptions easily.

What do you dislike?

Braintree can sometimes not give you all the information you are looking to find for an account. Braintree Recurring Billing can also be slow to use when you have a high volume of subscriptions that you are managing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Braintree recurring billing if you have a simple subscription based product or program that you need to obtain payment for. Braintree is easy to use and customer service agents can easily use the software and use it to verify payments and accounts for customers.

Braintree allows you to easily manage your subscriptions and obtain recurring payments from user accounts. The benefits of Braintree are that you can easily set up customer accounts and track billing for your customer subscriptions.

I

"Great Merchant Account"

What do you like best?

Free virtual terminal, free gateway and well documented api. The discount rate is competitive comparing to stripe and squareup and other merchant accounts using payment gateway, such as authorize.net...and merchants can accept different types of credit cards, much better than authorize.net.

What do you dislike?

Have to write api scripts to connect with shopping cart but it is easy. Other than that, nothing to not like it about. However, some large transaction requires manual approval by their risk department.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has many free features without nonsense fees, unlike regular merchant account but it is a regular merchant account.

Save lots of fees on processing credit cards and customers can always find their payment receipts.

Software Engineer
Financial Services

"Using Braintree for Subscriptions and one-off payments"

What do you like best?

Once it is set up, it has not given us almost any problem. Allows customization of most parameters:, offers drop-in forms (although we don't use them), and also custom ones.

What do you dislike?

They do not provide API access to discount and plan creation, so we have to do it by hand on their web console.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read the documentation first: the documentation code snippets can be seen matching the SDK of the language you're using, so it's always easy to follow. Use the client libraries: we use the Ruby one and it works like a charm.

For local testing you can use the sandbox, it has the same features as the production one, and you can use fake credit cards on it.

For testing, we use the fake_braintree gem, but you can also mock the web calls, or record them with something like Ruby's VCR.

We are charging our customers via a recurring subscription, with discounts and custom plans. We also sell gift cards of our services, charged via Braintree as one-off payments.

Founder - CEO

"Solid platform for all kinds of payments"

What do you like best?

Supports so many payment methods. Easy documentation to follow. Multivendor and card hold capabilities.

What do you dislike?

The admin panel is a bit funky. It should be much easier to view customers and transactions without having to go into the search. IE needs a better admin dashboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Solid platform, give it a try if the current solution isn't working.

Handling customer payments, doing subscription payments. Embedding within our software for clients to handle their payments.

Self-employed

"Excellent payment gateway, super happy with it."

What do you like best?

I have been using Braintree for around 4 years now. The experience has been great. I have never had to spend too much time when integrating it on my projects. It fits super well with any Ruby stack. And their API is extremely well done. They also have a good customer support and the response is always super fast.

What do you dislike?

When I found out that Braintree was being acquired by PayPal I got a little scare, by that time PayPal didn't have a good reputation and I already had 2 projects running on production, so I thought the price was going to rise. It didn't happened but I still think that it shouldn't happen. Braintree would be even better if they would have continued on their on.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're planning to integrate Braintree into a Ruby on Rails project I would recommend you to extract all the logic into a separate module or lib. and use interfaces when charging and dealing with the common actions. This way you will be able to change to another provider if needed by only changing module or lib.

I think I have used almost every feature of Braintree, from simple customer charge to recurring payments for Business with discounts. If you ever need to receive money no matter from, Braintree is the way to go with.

CTO
Internet

"Simple Payments for Web Applications"

What do you like best?

I really liked the ease of integration with both Rails and Javascript as well as the simple addition of Paypal to increase sales.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the pricing come down just a little, especially with startups.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product and I know there are others in the space like Stripe. Braintree has all the great features and simple Paypal integration.

It provided us an easy payments processor.

Senior Software Engineer Technical Lead

"One of the best payment integrations out there"

What do you like best?

I found braintree by accident and immediately understood how powerful this idea is and how much I could benefit from using it. Their documentation is great for developers and they had clients for every single application I had on my belt. During the sandbox tests the api and interaction was clean and reliable too. Now every time I have to think about a payment option this guys are on the top of my list.

What do you dislike?

The website doesn't provide a lot of information on how to use it, videos or interactive widgets that let me know how this really work so you have to navigate a lot to get an idea of what to expect. The sandbox mitigate this a little but as it requires registration I would love to be able to test the product using a public sandbox that doesn't require me to join in order to know if you're the right decision for us.

Software development, from time to time I am required to integrate online payments in my products and anybody who has done it before know how strict it can become, so it's really nice to be able to outsource it and be protected.

Golang Platform Engineer (consultant)

"Solid payment gateway, probably still the best in term of international availability"

What do you like best?

I've had the chance to use braintree for the last 3 years. The initial reason we went with braintree was for its international coverage, and its reasonable price. I think it's still one of the best today along with stripe.

We had some hiccups at the beginning but I have to say that overtime the level of service got better.

What do you dislike?

- Braintree doesn't offer any official Go client, so when we moved our stack from Java to Go we had to fork an unofficial library (done by an engineer working for braintree though ...) which was a bit scary at the beginning, but it works.

- Nothing really provided to detect efficiently fraud.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I guess the choice today is between braintree and stripe. Stripe seems to have a very nice API and cover pretty much all the language with official libraries (including Go). But again, I think in terms of coverage, braintree is still number 1 as of today.

We are a global player in the on-demand service - we wanted a solution that would help us scale globally and save us integration time. Today we are charging customer in Europe, USA and Asia, all through braintree, so It definitely helped us go faster.

Senior Software Engineer

"Finally a payment gateway targeted at developers"

What do you like best?

Having implemented several PayPal integrations in the past, working with Braintree was an incredible breath of fresh air. Finally a payment gateway that cares about developers and shows it in their API design and documentation.

What do you dislike?

Fairly high barrier of entry. The signup process was rather long, and the account validation took a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are probably only two good options you'll want to consider when choosing a payment gateway: Stripe or Braintree. I think the Stripe on boarding process is a bit easier, and their product seems to be moving a little bit faster. Braintree provides very nice integration options and a very nice API though. Mobile payments are a breeze to integrate and Apple-Pay support is very welcome.

The management interface is well-built with good search features and mostly fulfilled our requirements.

Finally their support is outstanding. Critical issues were attended to immediately and less-urgent matters usually within one business day.

We were looking for a payment gateway that allowed us to easily deal with PCI requirements and provides good integration options. Braintree allowed us to get credit card processing up and running really quickly and without any of the typical frustrations.

Co Founder and Product Manager

"Braintree Marketplace For ProduceRun.com"

What do you like best?

The free transactions fees for 50k was defiantly a carrot for signing up to Braintree Marketplace to help our startup get going.

We decided on Braintree not only on the bonus, but it's backed by Paypal and has good reviews.

We have just integrated the marketplace API into our platform, that includes taking credit card payments from buyers which go to escrow then the ability for admin to either refund the buyers or issue successful payment to farmers.

It has taken our developer approx 80 hrs to integrate the whole Braintree marketplace which was mostly work on app to figure out the logic.

Braintree has fantastic support, being a non-technical founder they can explain it super simple for me and you can deal the support know their stuff when they talk to our developers.

What do you dislike?

I believe if Braintree put together a list of qualified BT marketplace developers that are experts in the API integration that could actually do the whole integration process from start to finish.

Our Developers could learn from an expert in this particular field.

That would have allowed us to release our product quicker on the market and I'm sure this would benefit the braintree business in more transaction($$$).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking to automate your payments process, with small fees and fantastic support you must consider Braintree

With our old WordPress platform, we took in payments with stripe, PayPal and Dwolla.

This got really messing chasing payments that came into our account then issue one payment to the farmer.

On our new platform we wanted to automate and clean up the process by having payment come in one way, funds sitting in escrow(not our bank account) and issue successful payments or refunds without the fees associated with reversals.

Braintree makes it simple for us as a platform to take our commission fees and charges.

(Myself Only)

"Braintree values your business."

What do you like best?

Braintree's customer service is staffed by real people who will address problems with your checkout form in under a day. I expected to be panhandled and neglected as I was with Stripe, but they shocked me by replying to concerns with hand-written messages and would contact me first about potential issues (like a lack of a refund policy) before it became a problem.

What do you dislike?

Braintree's Interface is a bit weird and hard to get used to, especially if coming from the sleek Stripe interface. It lacks immediate, obvious details like when your next payout is and how much it will be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I was using the Laravel framework and its default implementation of the Stripe API. The Braintree API is not a direct replacement, but it does follow the footsteps of Stripe pretty well and the same kind of business logic and unit testing can probably work on both. Braintree does not have as wide spread adaptation as Stripe, so you will be writing code yourself and not using 3rd party libraries. Be prepared for that.

Their setup process is no more complicated than competitors, and they do not take any transaction fees for the first $50,000 USD that you process. This is an extraordinary help for a small entity collecting anonymous donations, as I get to keep the 5% that Stripe was amputating.

Software developer

"Braintree offers the best features and rates to European application developers."

What do you like best?

We were able to integrate with Braintree in just two weeks, including the time it took for us to get approved. The whole approval process was smooth and the support team were very helpful. The best feature for us developers is their clean API and Java SDK. Also the documentation is easy to navigate - something often neglected by other providers.

What do you dislike?

The approval process is not as quick as we imagined. There are at least 5 documents required including a copy of your ID or passport. Some might think this is too much but we think it's good for security.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a busy developer from Europe that's looking for a payment processor with a clean API, you should consider Braintree! They have SDKs for all major programming languages and the tech support is awesome. You'll be able to integrate with them in a matter of weeks and start processing payments withing a month. The documentation is top-notch and easy to navigate and the online management console is very usable and well designed. They also have 2 factor auth.

We're providing a service directly to fellow software developers and we absolutely had to have an online payment system in place. We are in the SaaS business and as such we only operate online. Braintree allows us to be very flexible with our pricing plans and invoice management. We are also planning to implement subscription management in the near future.

AM
(10,001+ employees)

"Quick implementation but awful customer care"

What do you like best?

Quick interface & easy implementation, however the lack of professionalism in their customer care and management team overlaps any benefits that the actual platform provides

What do you dislike?

Ridiculous customer support, awful reporting of transactions. No feedback on important matters such as chargebacks or credit card frauds and awful notification procedures. Actually, I faced 5 chargeback cases, Braintree instantly informed me via email for 2 of those, while for the other 3 they never notified me and held my funds without providing any official reason. When i requested for adidtional information they fowarded me to AIBMS, and AIBMS forwarded me back to Braintree. No professionalism at all

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest to stay away from Braintreee as a payment gatway solution. Their software is strong, however they are not ready for Europe yet and the level of professionalism in their management levels is extremely low. Not a partner to trust your funds with

The only benefit is their native UI, however compared to the problems they have caused me all their advantages are vanished

Product Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Great comprehensive payments platform for web and mobile"

What do you like best?

Easy to use APIs for JS on the browser and Node on the server. Awesome "Drop-in UI" and "Hosted Fields" options for creating a slick, PCI compliant payments interface on web apps, saving us tons of time building the payments experience for our users. Admin dashboard is pleasant with fine grained search tools.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is inconsistent in a few places and written with lots of implicit knowledge about Braintree's various object models. Documentation design is very vertical, so it's hard to navigate between sections and view code examples since everything is inline on the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product, recommended.

Braintree is our sole payments platform for our apps. Our users enter their billing information on our apps using Braintree, and we process all charges and refunds on Braintree.

Lead Software Developer
Internet

"Easy to use as long as provided client SDKs are used"

What do you like best?

The comprehensive documentation for various languages and platforms. Jargon and technical terms are introduced at the right time and the documentation takes care of making the "charge the user with a transaction" very easy.

The sandbox environment takes sandbox-only use cases into account (e.g. "Flush sandbox data").

What do you dislike?

I couldn't find any documentation on the HTTP API, which makes it difficult to work with incomplete third-party packages for platforms that don't have an officially supported client.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Using Braintree with one of the officially supported client SDKs probably makes integration much easier than relying on third-party code. At the time of writing there was no SDK for Go, so we had to rely on a third-party package to interface with Braintree.

Actually charging customers for using the services provided by the business.

AM

"Very disappointed! No attention to the customer"

What do you like best?

one of the most famous services to implement a payment service

What do you dislike?

We have been their customers for years with two different and very well known web services. Unfortunately when there is a problem their support team and their risk team has some important issues:

1 - very slow

2 - do not help in solving the problem

3 - no customer care

Our company will soon move to another provider since we are VERY disappointed about how they treat their customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not use it - very disappointed with their support and risk management team

No real benefits compared to similar services - The quality of the platform is ok but the customer service is terrible.

Co-founder and CTO

"Easy API, Nice backoffice, good overall experience"

What do you like best?

The api is simple to implement, they offer integration examples and libraries for several programming languages. The first 50.000€ earned through Braintree are commission free. Also, the backoffice is nicer then many other competitors. Another interesting thing is the js library that greatly simplify PCI compliance.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is a bit scattered, and sometimes outdated. The module for Magento was buggy and outdated. Voiding payments takes a lot more then expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a classic e-commerce website use the v.zero SDK. Is easy and fast to implement, and it's also secure.

Customers don't have to insert their card any time they buy on the stores we build, increasing conversion. Obtaining PCI compliance is much easier using the v.zero SDK. Is cheaper to start an ecommerce, given the 50.000€ commission free

Lead Platform Engineer
Internet

"Decent payment gateway with reliable service"

What do you like best?

Braintree was fairly easy to integrate with. We have two applications written in two different languages which interact with Braintree and the integration process was straightforward. We have a few different currencies we are able to process and getting them working in our systems was not difficult. Overall the service is fairly reliable with the occasional outage usually caused by downstream processor networking issues.

What do you dislike?

While the integration aspect was relatively simple, setting up the banking and processing for foreign currencies (non-USD for us) is fairly complex. As a result the response times from Braintree can sometimes be slower than desired depending on the backend processor.

We are using braintree as a payment gateway in an ecommerce platform for processing and management payments for products sold through our stores.

Software Engineer
Telecommunications

"Extremely Satisfied User of Braintree "

What do you like best?

* Customer Service & Technical Assistance

* Braintree's Easy and Neatly built - Tools & Dashboard

* Vision & consistent updates

* Recently updated Docs :)

* Marketplace

What do you dislike?

* No one responding from BT end for SO Questions, Forums or any other developer posting queries on public portals.

* Lack of video or GUI based tutorials for beginners

* Still, Paypal Express via BT isn't flexible to use. ( We started and stopped due to many issues )

* Apple Pay - No Support for Consignment / Marketplace

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will REALLY help for our Business Growth , Easy and Reliable Way to manage Payments.

I use following services of Braintree,

* Payment Gateway

7.1
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.4*
* Payment Processing Category
Do you work for Braintree Direct?