Affinity Designer Reviews & Product Details

Affinity Designer Overview

What is Affinity Designer?

Proud winner of an Apple Design Award in 2015, Affinity Designer brings inspiration to illustration in a strong, sleek tool. Combining vector design and raster finishing naturally in one tool, this innovative illustrator lets your ideas flow. Put simply, its speed, power and precision make creating art feel fun and spontaneous again, while delivering high-end results in both macOS and Windows. “We’ve been wondering when a serious challenger would appear, and Serif has thrown down the gauntlet in fine style.” Expert Reviews “Stunningly powerful.” TechRadar “Great UI, buttery smooth software and jaw dropping price.” Medium.com “A very attractive investment for anyone from beginners to professionals.” Touch Reviews “A remarkably polished design environment.” Stack Social

Affinity Designer Details

@serifsupport
12 Twitter followers

Affinity Designer Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Affinity Designer community
Have you used Affinity Designer before?

Affinity Designer Reviews

Showing 135 Affinity Designer reviews
Already have Affinity Designer?
Automotive Engineer
Affinity Designer
Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

I like thatAffinity Designer is very user friendly and flexible enough to work on desktop and on the go with iPad. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not really what I dislike, but more on what I want to see coming on Affinity Designer, converting image to vector. It would really be helpful to have it inside Affinity Designer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Affinity Designer on my logo design works, vector illustrations, icon design, web/ui design and other digital artworks and print design. Even though it doesn't have many more tools/functionalities like the counterpart from Adobe, I like that it is very easy to use, easy enough that even new user can adopt to it in no time. Affinity Designer is way much lighter and faster to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Affinity Designer
What do you like best?

This software contains all the tools that are needed for editing, color, design, text, with gradients, and many configurable effects, with this program we can draw line patterns, organize by layers and resize, likewise we can make elaborate designs with transformations, curves and vectorized, with which we can create from logos, posters, to comics, art, or very professional realistic designs, it also has retouching tools, such as texture, shadows, focuses and blurred, that we can add to our designs , we can create layers and color labels, we can use rasterized by brush texture or editing vectors or individual pixels, we can work through advanced grids, adjustments and alignments, according to our projects to be carried out, the program also allows us to export our projects to multiple endings of files and quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like the program to have more effects and textures Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a good program to create cartoon or animated type designs, and also advertising designs, the designs can be done quickly but with a professional level Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it in the realization of site designs and for video art since I use cartoon-type designs which are focused on a young plicic, first I make a layering of images by layers and then make the retouching, trace the contours then add effects and shadows, the finished designs are used both on the website and in logos, advertising and videos, we can insert texts, to have a greater impact on the audience, and we can adjust the quality and weight levels as well as the file terminations in each project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Manager, Instructional Development
Consumer Goods
What do you like best?

In a niche dominated by Adobe, newbie Affinity is creating awesome products that DON'T require a subscription. Affinity designer is a vector image building software, but it also allows you to edit illustrator vector files as well as pixel files. If you are familiar with Illustrator, you will pick up Designer's tools very simply. There are pens tools, shape tools, text tools and many more. They also allow you to export many different file formats including illustrator files, if you are collaborating with someone who is an Adobe user. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While Affinity Designer is a great image and vector editor, there are some features that Adobe still leads in. LiveTrace and the Warp tool are two things that Illustrator have but Designer does not, so if you have a raster image you want to convert to vector, it will be tough in Affinity designer without tracing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you just need to create and edit vectors, give Designer a shot - for more advanced workflows, Adobe may still be superior and worth the subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We wanted to purchase a software and get away from subscription based models. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CSO
What do you like best?

It's easy to use, cost effect and works. Serif are constantly updating and keeping it relevant and it supports multiple file formats both for importing and exporting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing really, it's a great product and updated reasonably regularly. It can be annoying if you buy from Serif directly (say for a beta) and then they release it o the app store and there's no way to get the App Store version without purchasing again Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great software, works well, supports lots of formats both for importing and exporting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Competing products are much more expensive and Affinity Designer is a really good replacement. I use it for all vector work and it performs really well. Serif are also very helpful in the support forums when there are problems. I have a laser engraver and it works really well for producing artwork that cuts/engraves really well. Important to group the correct objects together and use layers to the correct paths are followed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Entrepreneur
What do you like best?

I have never been a professional or even an amateur in the field of vector graphics. I only created technical tasks for creating graphics, and at some point, I wanted to check the quality of the work done in more detail at the level of the project file rather than the final drawing, because for me the possibility of corrections and optimization is important. The competent interface of this software allowed me to understand the basic functions myself, and without lessons learned how to make simple designs myself. I am satisfied with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to say, I haven't found it yet - for my level and character of current tasks, I'm satisfied with using the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As I said earlier, I check the quality of work performed by freelancers on my tasks. I often correct some points in the finished works myself. I like that the software is not complicated. It is always at my fingertips as a tool that is often used, although I haven't even started to study many functions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It helps to take advantage of dynamic screen guides to ensure that objects and designs are placed with correct measurement and alignment. I can create smooth and accurate curves from rope and window stabilizers to create beautiful vector illustrations. It offers a wide range of colors to enhance designs. Users are also allowed to reference multiple artboards for their work on a project. The iPad app is as powerful as the desktop app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does not export artificial intelligence files. Lack of natural perspective grid. And some tools in Illustrator are missing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not directly jump into it without tutorials. In youtube and udemy you will easily find the great tutorials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It took my 1 week to watch tutorials and get to work. So I designed creative logo for my small startup and flyers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Professor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

The interface is super easy to use.

I have very little experience drawing on paper. But affinity designer makes my job very easy.

Its intuitive.

Not cluttered at all.

Supports both vector and raster (pixel) mode.

It can save history along with the file. So undo is always available when you open.

Affordable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features are yet not available: Like 1. merging vector shapes will not retain colors, 2. Cannot subtract a shape of group from a group.

And yes, it crashes often, sometimes when I really need the software to stay on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a both cartoon animator and a book illustrator. I enjoy doing both with affinity designer. I draw characters, props, animals, fishes, backgrounds etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Creative Designer
What do you like best?

2D drawing solution and the vector design capability its wonderful and the user can simple customize the Affinity Designer functions for easy and quality service generation, like various marketing graphics and many others.

Affinity Designer image editing ability is the best, easy to coordinate and the filtering of data its excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

None for me to underline about the Affinity Designer. Excellent design tool and easy to get a long with its functions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Affinity Designer comes with functional features and the installation its very easy and the required installation space its great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy editing different images and 2D graphics drawing and the quality of the marketing materials produced its amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing and Web Design Consultant
Founder
What do you like best?

the advantages of using affinity designer are -

1) super beginner-friendly interface, affinity workspace is easy to learn.

2) comes with lots of features and tools.

3) we can manage our workspace easily using affinity designers. like to manage layers they provide a very easy interface.

4) easy to learn, while comparing to other tools affinity was very easy for me to learn and start designing.

5) affinity is way more affordable than the adobe suite.

6) pen tool works like a charm in affinity. super easy to work with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have used affinity designer since June 2019 and I didn't find out any major problem, but sometimes it takes too much ram, and also when exporting it lags a bit, also one drawback is while using affinity designer if you are working with adobe suite, you might face some issues when using eps files. same for other websites that completely rely on adobe illustrator files. but there is no major issue with this software. the minor bugs some time take too much CPU and ram usage that makes the system slows but it only happens when I work on bigger files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a professional designer tool, which is super easy to learn and helps you to boost your productivity then you can go with affinity designer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I used affinity designer to design vector designs and then animate those vector designs. it also helps me to quickly design any graphics-based designs like logo, flyer, posts, and other stuff. it also saves my times when working on animation, we need to create lots of designs for that, so since I started using affinity it really helped me to increase my work productivity on that tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Police Officer
What do you like best?

The fluidity and real time rendering is unlike any other vector software. Very easy to learn with no prior experience, and for those that have used other softwares, it is easy to pick up Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

missing some features from competing software; at the same time, has some features others do not Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will be amazed! For vector graphics it is simply just amazing to use. Since it was built from the ground up, it has no clutter - very responsive and does not have a steep learning curve. The Affinity line of softwares are frequently updated, and the community is active. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Create vector art for e-commerce prints. Website assets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Creative Director
What do you like best?

Affinity Designer has an easy interface with many different helpful features and easy to access. 2d drawing capability its great, and it supports file importation and file export to other platforms.

Image editing flows nicely and it also offers a nice coordination capability for the different professionals working on different projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Affinity Designer implementation was simple and effective and there was no issues even on the functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Image editing tool and very nice for vector drawing, 2d drawing production and very simple to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quick handling of various designs for marketing, image editing and importing other files form other softwares. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Illustrator / Designer
What do you like best?

I love being able to design vector artwork without having to pay $20 monthly. The program is great! It's well designed and easy to navigate. I love the way they use layers and they've integrated bitmapped brushes in there as well which opens up so many new possibilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few drawbacks. Some areas could be tweaked in order to improve workflow. Text warp has not been implemented yet although you can set type along a path and then adjust each letter. It would be nice to be able to copy a gradient and re-use it in multiple shapes. If that is in there I have not figured it out yet. Also outputting the files to an Adobe friendly file still needs improving since it is difficult to avoid dealing with Photoshop at some point. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try! I think it's worth the initial price to see if it will work for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main problem I've solved is needing a vector art program for occasional use without paying $20 a month to use Adobe. I don't need this in my daily art production but I like to have it on hand in case I want to work up some cool type treatment or designs sticker to sell. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Research Assistant - Virtual Reality Application Center
What do you like best?

Even for a beginner like myself, it just took two to three days to learn. I have been using it for more than a month now, and I feel quite confident about its features and functionalities. Various online documents and tutorials are also available for Affinity designer, which makes things easier. I found two of its features particularly helpful so far—first, the grouping tool to group layers and form a single object. Second, the grid tool's reshaping capability that allows me to have thinner or coarser grid according to my requirement while designing something. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far, I haven't found any downsides but I had some minor issues finding a few functionalities in Affinity desinger. For example, when I needed to crop a design that I had made I had to export it to Affinity Photo to get the desired result. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend using Affinity Designer for any modeling or designing work that needs to be done faster with sophisticated results. Even for a beginner like myself, it just took two to three days to learn. I have been using it for more than a month now, and I feel quite confident about using it and could achieve adaptable and professional-looking models. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am building some architecture and pipeline designs with Affinity Designer. I believe it has been really useful in achieving adaptable and professional-looking models. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder / Creative Director
What do you like best?

That is a great value for the price. Comparing to Adobe product here you pay only once and get a very good product that actual is more then enough to make great design. The main feature of this program is that combine vector and pixel design, that save a lot of time. It is very simple to use after over programs, very intuitive.

As for beginners it the best choose for the moment.

Brushes is a weak, but some of them are very very impressive .. so for classic draw I would say it is on a normal level, but for hand lettering Affinity is a very different app, that can do very good results and different then in other apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That is a very good tool to design, but still not Photoshop or illustrator level. I cant explain exactly why, but I steel use Adobe product as basics. Affinity is definitely a good product - but something is missing.

There are some issues whit brushes, not critical but Photoshop and Procreate do better, still it have very nice good working brushes ... I think that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth much more that it cost. I have both, desktop and ipad versions, use them weekly. Very interesting to consider for Calligraphy .. and for illustrations - very easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

That app is our all. We are a design studio so using app like that is our main occupation. We actually buy almost all app of that kind (except Corel) - and we change timer to time to get out of comfort zone and make the brain work in stress - that actually help get better results, and different result, that is important in our job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Consultant - Technical Lead Drupal
What do you like best?

I really love the lower price of the Affinity product range. I tried a few other trials of products but Affinity really got me hooked to their products. It's very easy to use and most of the functionality you know from other products is also there and works in a same way. There is also a great community behind it where you can always ask questions. There are also a lot of tutorials online on platforms like YouTube. Another great advantage is that you can still open your files from other suites like .psd, .ai,... I also noticed it's a lot less "heavy" to run on my computer, so people with lower end machines should also be able to use the Affinity suite products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to get adapted to the other keyboard shortcuts. Also some functionality that you might be used to could be missing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try the trial first :-) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Designing things for personal projects & friends. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UD
What do you like best?

This is the best graphics software program around and it just keeps getting better. It is affordable and very easy to use. You can import a variety of file types making it extremely versatile. It has all the bells and whistles and then some. I find it easier to use than AI. The Affinity team provides great support and is always making improvements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So many improvements have been made since the software was first released that there isn't really anything that I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Affinity Designer is easy to use and very affordable. It accomplishes any task that I would use with other, more expensive, software. I highly recommend it and have always felt that it was the best decision I made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I wouldn't say I am solving problems. I am just using a more efficient graphics program for designing. It is a replacement and in my opinion a real game-changer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The tool set and curve editor blows illustrator away. No more adobe subscriptions.

Amazing price/value Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The implementation with Wacom is not the best. Menus could be more intuitive.

Wish the license worked on plane Mac without having to buy two licences Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Are able to get rid of the expense of a illustrator subscription.

Creating scaleable vector graphics with great results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Installation Technician
What do you like best?

Affinity Designer's best feature is that it is not subscription software, unlike Adobe CC, you pay the incredibly low price of $49.99 one time and have access to free updates. Designer also runs very smoothly and quickly even on older machines. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Designer has not been around as long as Illustrator so it isn't nearly as mature and lacks many of Illustrator's more advanced tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Unless you're making enough revenue from your Adobe CC usage to pay for the subscription or you can easily afford it, there is no good reason not to switch to Affinity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As someone who does not use the software professionally, I do not make revenue from its usage. Not having to pay a monthly fee to use Designer allows me access to digital design software that is not severely under equipped versus Adobe products without sinking $20 to $50 a month into what is essentially a hobby. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Chemical Engineer
What do you like best?

The user interface is designed to suit the Mac machine graphics. Affinity functions properly and can be comfortably used. Once you buy the software, the device sets the quality value drug. For a more costly graphic design approach you don't have to spend more to get identical software. Supports seamless matrix, Photoshop, and other formats. Such file forms can also be formatted and edited quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

These are the qualities that I have considered lacking. It does not support the Adobe Illustrator plug-ins, nor does it upgrade as much as it does. There are some materials not given. For example, some simple resources, including anchoring points, attribute selection and a pixel cloning stamp are available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The simple toolkit will do much of what I need in the drawing programme. It has some good online resources, such as Aviary and Vector. Output may be decreased due to any uncertainty. I hope this is a fortunate commodity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

At some point in Adobe's history, the visual aspect made me want to explore new software for my work. I got a new iPad and found Affinity Designer

The software is very faster compared to others, and it works almost the same on iPad. Among the functionalities I like is that I can highlight is that is very easy to edit and create texts, the range of palettes and tools is very wide and in the latest updates functionalities for the UI design were integrated (something that is not available in Illustrator). Another point that I like very much is that you can encrust documents within others, which allows you to confirm if visually it is what you need, and if you don't like any aspect you can edit it without having to leave your "preview", that is the document encrusted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I do not quite like, is that the tool is very limited in how much the vector design, compared to Inkscape it falls short, but for small and quick designs it's true that the main pen and brush tools work almost the same as in illustrator or Inkscape and that they are much friendlier but when your designs they require more work in 3D, gradient mesh or using more than

simple effects, editing motivs, you realize that you still have a long way to go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s an excellent tool for vector drawing, if you are an iPad and Windows user like me you will love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Adobe updates, I had a problem viewing my designs, they seemed distorted, and I had to be constantly changing the view, with Affinity I totally forgot about that, because it allows me to play as I want with my files and faster and I can open them from my iPad too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Designer
What do you like best?

-Very simple and smooth process when handling different vector designs with Affinity Designer and no much struggling trying to understand the platform.

-Affinity Designer is a vector 2D drawing product and very effective tool on collaborations between designers, and also great image editing package with a very active support.

-The tool allows smooth Exporting and Importing of files, functional reliable tools like Drop and Drag and finally for the Prototyping, Affinity Designer the best tool choice and also cheap platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

-Seriously nothing i can remember, Affinity Designer is a friendly designing platform for Graphic materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

-Wonderful and cheap solution for the Graphic Designers and other Designers for the quality vector and graphic designs production and easy package with easy manipulation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

-Enjoyable designing of different Graphics quality materials which can be used on many Social Media platforms as marketing and different business advertisement, and even various creativity sharing between different designers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.