Amazon WorkSpaces Reviews & Product Details

What is Amazon WorkSpaces?

Amazon WorkSpaces is a secure desktop computing service that runs on the AWS cloud it allows provision cloud-based virtual desktops and provide users access to the documents, applications, and resources needd from any supported device, including Windows and Mac computers, Chromebooks, iPads, Fire tablets, and Android tablets.

Amazon WorkSpaces Profile Details

Amazon WorkSpaces Profile Details

AWS
Description
By giving customers more of what they want - low prices, vast selection, and convenience - Amazon continues to grow and evolve as a world-class e-commerce platform.
2006

Amazon WorkSpaces Reviews

1-25 of 43 total Amazon WorkSpaces reviews
System Administrator
(10,001+ employees)

"Easy to setup for Virtual Desktop and using the advantage of AWS datacenters all around the world."

What do you like best?

Instead of using, on-prem Citrix solution, I provided for our APAC region users with a low latency solution for their virtual desktop experience. When using Workspaces, we have freedom to choose the appropriate datacenter to reduce latency for your distant locations.

What do you dislike?

AWS has their own GPOs for Windows OS. I had some conflict with my GPOs and AWS GPOs. Unfortunately, there is solution to disable the AWS's GPO configured on Virtual desktops.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have locations all around the world and you want to provide with a good quality desktop experience for your users, then I recommend you to look into Workspaces solution. It gives you flexibility to work on a distributed service for virtual desktops. It has all kind of operating systems built in Workspaces solution.

Users from APAC region had some difficulties to access our on prem resources such as Citrix and other servers. Because of long distance, it was impossible to reduce the latency for regular desktop experience. That was the moment, we have decided to give a shot for AWS Workspaces solution. After configuring the insfastructure on AWS, I had used directory services for integration with AD and it was ready to use.

Senior Software Engineer

"Great workspace to access anywhere"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to work anywhere is fantastic and the possibility to work in various systems. You can have the application in Mac and windows.

What do you dislike?

The application is simple and works great, but we can't transfer files easily to the workspace.

A functionality that can transfer files from our machine to the workspace via the application will make this fantastic.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The app is simple to install, very easy to use and is fast.

I use it to work remotely. Since I use a Mac, and the software is only available in windows this is the solution we have. But the best part is that we can continue working from every computer with internet.

"Using AWS Workspaces "

What do you like best?

Workspaces allows you to easily have a desktop in the cloud, and do work with a GUI that would otherwise have to be done using the terminal/command line in an EC2 instance.

What do you dislike?

Workspaces can sometimes lose connection for no reason even when the network is working fine, and will need to be rebooted which takes time away from development tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worksapces is great

doing cloud developments using AWS. Workpaces alows us to connect to other internally hosted software products that are used for our daily development.

Head of Technology

"Recommended for All Who Travel Frequently "

What do you like best?

In my opinion, WorkSpaces is a quite impressive and unique take of Amazon on cloud computing. Amazon has attempted to give users with true personal cloud experience. It is beyond simple cloud storage. I have prepared a Windows 7 PC with freedom of whatever kind of hardware I required. The best is it as true desktop experience and is just like using physical laptop or PCs I use. I have connected remotely from different ISP networks and it worked most of the times. I am thinking of leaving my personal laptop at home and use any low spec windows tab for accessing my WorkSpace.

What do you dislike?

Amazon can totally count me in on WorkSpaces if they can address the lag / latency issues which start randomly during sessions. Second thing to be addressed is the time Amazon App takes to connect to my WorkSpace. I understand that technically it can relate to my own ISP connection but I have faced the same issue of multiple networks since I travel a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Every IT professional show give WorkSpaces at least one shot. Its truly worth the time you will spent.

As tech professional heading networks & software development teams in our Company which has more than 150 employees across the globe, I see a very plausible implementation of WorkSpaces, where I will create an active directory based LAN network and they can login to their workstations regardless of their locations and type of hardware they might have. This will help me in data protection, governance, maintenance of our custom software, plus ease of access for employees.

Cybersecurity Architect

"Remote Workers!"

What do you like best?

Managing hardware for remote users and or temporary workers and contractors can cause a lot of issues with spin up and compliance in what is on their devices. Workspaces allows us to control what they use and what they can access regardless of what device they bring.

What do you dislike?

Web client is not as performant or good as installed client. Would be cool to have some sort of bootable OS or thumbdrive to ship.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

FOr quick and easy VDI WOrkspaces is a great place to look. You can control what is on the workspace along with where it can go and what it can access.

Remote workers and contractors provisioning equipment for work.

"Allows for convenient and remote use"

What do you like best?

I like how AWS provides a space to get work done, and then be able to access that space from any other computer or device. It is simple to use.

What do you dislike?

There are no real downsides of using AWS. The problems encountered have been very minor, such as freezing momentarily upon viewing full screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AWS is worth it for the remote capabilities and much more.

Amazon WorksSpaces allows employees to work remotely, or wherever they may be. Scheduling can sometimes be difficult in this day and age, so having this option is great.

"I use email only"

What do you like best?

I like that it allows you to have desktop notifications.

What do you dislike?

There is no friendly way to check the email over an app on my phone. I have to log in on browser and is annoying. Also, is not mobile friendly. I haven't tried but it looks like there are no integrations to send mass email (like YAMM for gmail). It will not automatically forward emails to my zendesk either.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not mobile friendly, you can potentially have work-life balance this way.

Communications. We have it integrated with zendesk too but is not very user friendly and we cannot forward emails automatically like in google. Because we have teams in China we use this server.

Associate Data Scientist
Internet

"Amazon review"

What do you like best?

The application is very easy to navigate. I store all my data files on s3.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how undeleting files in s3 requires undeleting files one at a time. Multi-undelete functionality would be useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AWS products are used by our Analytics teams and Engineering teams, making it easy for transitions of projects from team to team.

We're using AWS to train models, build features, store data. s3 is the underlying storage system for all data that our team uses and generates.

Sr. Systems Engineer

"Amazon Workspaces"

What do you like best?

I like that you can access your workspace from anywhere and on different platforms.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you can't share your workspace with another user and no out of the box RDP Access

Recommendations to others considering the product:

would like to see the ability to share workspaces instead of just one user per workspace.

We use it as a VDI solution to access production workloads in different VPCs

AI

"Easy Setup VDIs"

What do you like best?

The best part of the solution is to have multiple size choices to choose based on what the user will be performing on the machine and now that they support Linux is awesome.

What do you dislike?

We wanted Linux version of VDIs and now we have it. I like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are applications are still hosted in on-premise, make sure you open necessary firewall ports for users to access the applications from their workspaces.

We were having performance issues with existing VDI solution on Hyper-V. Now we are experience better performance results after moving to workspaces.

Sr. Data Architect Team, Manager

"WOrkspaces"

What do you like best?

Seems to act just like a personal computer.

What do you dislike?

We have had trouble determinng apporpriate sizeing of the workspace for perforemance. different team members have different software that are heavy consumers

We are using it for acccess to developer tools in AWS, chose to do this vs on prem develmoplment

Director - Business Development, Consulting Services & Projects

"Great Idea"

What do you like best?

I like how this is a great solution to access apps and docs form my desktop in the cloud from other devices. Brilliant!

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure as of yet. I assume security is solid but it's new and I'm not sure.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try a demo

Accessing business cases in meetings with customers when I don't have my laptop with me from my phone.

Media Coordinator
Law Practice

"It Gets the Job Done"

What do you like best?

It is relatively easy to use. Once logged in, all of my information is accessible and the addition of a private data file is great.

What do you dislike?

It can crash or give me issues while logging on. You should have strong internet service if you plan to use it.

It helps keep me organized and ensures there are backups to all important documents.

"Fair cost/benefit"

What do you like best?

It contains multiple applications, some of them free.

What do you dislike?

A little complicated to navigate. Some of the options like the s3 bucket are not very convenient when trying to find and pull information quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Train your users and coordinate transition with plenty of time

Share multiple applications and folders with other users

Partner Development Rep

"Ease of access."

What do you like best?

I like that the links allow for other users to modify information but retain the original as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes in order to view information the previous user needs to log out and close prior to next user.

None

Director of Acculturation
Philanthropy

"It's good"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Amazon work space is it's easy and useful for work space.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Amazon workspace is that I can not invite others to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use

What business problems that I am solving is an easy way to file share

Enterprise Architect
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Low overhead"

What do you like best?

low cost, flexible solution for providing our end users systems that are accessible from anywhere, anytime

What do you dislike?

somewhat limited flexibility in the architecture design, but getting better as new features are announced

replacing expensive on prem VDI infrastructure

E
(10,001+ employees)

"Enable external partners secure, managed access to internal applications"

What do you like best?

Centralized management, no need to manage individual PCs remotely, secure access to managed desktops, quick rollout and implementation, easy user enrollment, works from any device and endpoint

What do you dislike?

No pooled pricing option, need to recompose all workspaces when have to increase the size of subnets, needing separate AD connectors for each user group

Centralized management, cycle time reduction for end users, improving user experience, ensuring end user device support

"Create moses application"

What do you like best?

The setup and organizations. The templates are larger as well.

What do you dislike?

It is a little slow when I login to the server I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I like the setup. Sometimes it takes a while for the connection to log me in.

I am able to share workspace with my funder and city hall. I make it easier for all to see the amazon workspace screen.

"Good for admins, some issues for devs/power options"

What do you like best?

web based log in option, ease of setup, ease of user from the user perspective.

What do you dislike?

issues with searching/indexing (known issue), sometimes experience crashes/freeze ups despite using power level workspaces.

moved from vmware, was hosting vm host on prem and was able to move that out of data center. Multiple users in remote locations who do not have a company provided laptop to run company programs/data

"Excellent Less-on-Prem hardware solution"

What do you like best?

Elasticity. Procurement of more/less powerful machines takes minutes instead of months.

What do you dislike?

Nothing significant so far. Very minor latency; some administration tools.

We are in the process of evaluating WorkSpaces instead of a traditional hardware refresh, which would not only save money, but also allow the business to respond quickly to changes in human resources and compute power.

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

Just use S3 for testing our sites on as staging server .

What do you dislike?

Some of the UI experience is a little convoluted

dev / stage site testing

AC
(10,001+ employees)

"Great way to spin up desktops quickly"

What do you like best?

The speed at which you can build a desktop. You can keep your developers working with no delay.

What do you dislike?

It is billed per hour, so we have to make sure sessions are not being wasted.

We can provide developers with new machines for development of new technologies without imaging a new computer each time. It definitely reduces the need for hardware.

AC

"Amazon workspaces"

What do you like best?

The ease of setting up systems for new employees or contractors without having to buy hardware and computers

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike. It is an awesome product

Recommendations to others considering the product:

absolutely remove your desktops and computers

and go cloud

Do not have to buy the computers

Easily accessible from anywhere as long as we have internet connection

Everything is cloud based

"Workspaces enables remote users to stay connected"

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly stand up new desktops for remote users

What do you dislike?

No self service password change, and no forcing a user to change password on login when their password.expires in AD

Allow remote employees to access on site services. It is quick to standup and easy to use

Amazon WorkSpaces User Ratings

Ease of Use
Average: 8.4*
Quality of Support
Average: 8.3*
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.3*
* Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Category
Do you work for Amazon WorkSpaces?

Amazon WorkSpaces Categories on G2