There's a great deal to like about Altru! Here's the Top 10 List:
(10) Everything is in one place so information entered by, for example, someone in the Education Department is immediately seen by someone in Membership. You never have to worry that something is out of date.
(9) Altru is in the cloud. You can let the experts worry about server maintenance and upgrades.
(8) Setting up the product can be a little complicated, but the technical staff at Blackbaud are extraordinarily helpful. And there's a great deal of online documentation/videos.
(7) Moving to Altru forces you to evaluate your existing business processes and improve everything, not just the software you're using.
(6) The product is easy to use once it's configured. For example, Visitor Services staff that I've worked with have no trouble getting the hang of processing basic transactions.
(5) There are often multiple ways to do something in Altru so you can choose which best fits your particular business needs.
(4) The Altru Community lets you connect with other organizations that use Altru to share ideas, best practices, etc.
(3) Tech Support is very responsive. They may not always know the answer, but they know where to find it.
(2) The product is continuously improving. The Altru Development Team frequently asks for input from existing customers as they're designing and building new functionality and releases come out at least every quarter.
And the #1 reason that Altru is awesome...
(1) Altru helps streamline business processes and increase efficiency so that staff can move beyond dealing with the database and focus on their real purpose: building relationships with visitors.
There are a few specific things that Altru doesn't handle: online merchandise sales, online discounts on special events, newsletter sign-ups. It's also difficult (not impossible, but not straightforward) to set up multi-day programs, such as summer camps, when there are a lot of different options.
I first moved to Altru in 2012 while working at the RISD Museum in Providence, RI. At that time, processing a membership took at least three weeks from the time the application was received until the member's card was put in the mail. After switching to Altru, that time dropped to a maximum of 2 days! As I said above, Altru helps to streamline business processes and increase efficiency so that staff can move beyond dealing with the database and focus on their real purpose: building relationships with visitors.