Rise Reviews & Product Details

What is Rise?

Rise unifies HR, benefits and payroll into a simplified, personalized, all-in-one People Platform. We’ve learned a lot by working with the leaders of more than 1,000 forward-thinking companies. It’s clear that the way we work is changing at an incredible pace, as more and more fast-growing companies embrace technology as a tool to empower people, leverage data, and replace outdated processes. Cue Rise. We’re changing the way companies perform HR functions and making it easy to build an incredible company culture.

Rise Screenshots

1-25 of 53 total Rise reviews
Owner
Think Tanks

"Huge relief!"

What do you like best?

Automation with amazing support! Easy enough for a newbie like myself, and whenever I had a question, they resolved it.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything! It was hard to get a hang of it, but that was because I didn't understand Payroll to start with, but Rise helped me overcome both of those

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look no further - this system is amazing and is backed up by amazing support.

I was making a big change in my company from Contractors to Employees. I didn't want a huge payroll headache, but I'd also never done it before and was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Then I found Rise, and not only did they help me get started with their software, they helped me figure out a ton of my questions around payroll. I was worried that even after finding a great free software, I wouldn't be able to make good use of it due to my lack of knowledge about how to do payroll in the first place. They bridged that gap for me and it's not lost on me how much of a headache they have saved me. I am so grateful these good folks are out there... thank you, Rise.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Markianna! We’re happy to hear that Rise’s services have helped you during an important transition period for your company. We’re glad that you’ve found our customer support team to be an asset as you navigated through our payroll software. The gratitude is mutual, from our team to yours!

Director of Sales and Business Development
Outsourcing/Offshoring

"Rise : Payroll solution for small business"

What do you like best?

The service desk people are very knowledgeable and helpful when you need them. The system itself works quickly and I am able to complete my payroll (15 people) within about 10 minutes. The reporting is more than adequate for my business analysis needs.

What do you dislike?

Some of the Payroll instructions can be a bit confusing but the help desk people are able to help me choose the best one in the event I am unsure.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure that you clearly understand what the various Payroll Instructions are intended to accomplish so that you implement the right ones. Spend some time on the Help site to explore these and then ask the helpdesk any questions you are still unsure about.

Ease, speed and reliability of payroll completion is a breeze and takes minimal time and effort on my part. I am now looking in to the time off manager component as a centralized way to help my employees know how much vacation time they have banked and book vacation time etc while making approvals easy for me.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you for your feedback on your product and customer service experience, Darren. We apologize for any confusion caused by our help instructions and are glad to hear that our support team was able to assist you in finding the right solutions for your issues. We are currently working on simplifying our knowledge/help articles. If you have specific suggestions for how we can improve, please feel to reach out to us anytime.

1-888-393-3483

"Great service for new users"

What do you like best?

I absolutely had to leave a review for the incredible service from Rise. The website is intuitive and user-friendly. When you first sign up, you can enroll in a free Webinar where they walk you through setting up. I am just amazed at the helpful, quick, and friendly service I receive. This truly is an example of a superior business.

The service is free when you have fewer than 20 employees, but I am certain that once my business grows I will stay with them, I highly recommend using Rise for all your payroll needs.

What do you dislike?

was bit tricky as a new user to know what to do. the webinar was helpful but was very quick.

I can finally be my own accountant. Dennis Wong was an amazing help as a beginner Rise user. Dennis went above and beyond in helping me set up my profile and payroll options, and was patient in answering all my questions. Dennis was thoughtful with advice and recommendations - taking the time to understand my business in order to find best options for me. I appreciate all of the help.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you for your review, Alex! We’re happy to hear of your positive experience with Rise thus far and of your superb interaction with Dennis. We appreciate your feedback on our services and look forward to continuing to support you in becoming your own accountant as your business grows!

UD

"Rise is fine"

What do you like best?

I like that Rise is a Canadian company and is able to keep our information on Canadian servers.

What do you dislike?

Rise doesn't offer many of the features that I had come to expect from an HRIS. There is no document signing, it's difficult to set up specialized reporting structures, it's hard to find employee salary info in once place. It's just lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would carefully consider what business requirements you're looking to fill with Rise as it is lacking several features other products have.

It is nice to have our employee time off and payroll handled by Rise, especially as they keep the info in Canada. Our team likes being able to access their time off quickly.

AC

"Rise is useful, well-priced, but with a bit of a learning curve"

What do you like best?

At the end of the day, Rise solves a problem and allows us to do our payroll quickly and without much hassle. We're grateful we found Rise, and we'll certainly be sticking with them for the foreseeable future, as they're solving a real problem we had.

What do you dislike?

Rise's system is a bit complicated, which is unavoidable to some degree when doing something complex like payroll, so there's a learning curve involved. That said, Rise does a good job of walking you through the process in length.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Rise is our first payroll solution, and it's solved our problems well. I can't compare it to another competing system, but I do know that the pricing (free under a certain number of employees) is quite compelling, and is unlike most of the other vendors we considered.

Our payroll was not organized prior to using Rise, and Rise has fixed that – it's really been a game-changer on that front.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear that Rise has helped bring increased ease and efficiency to your payroll processes. We're also glad that our solution was helpful in navigating through the learning curve. If you ever seek support, our customer care team is available to help via the contact information provided below.

We look forward to continuing to work with you!

AF

"Not a very helpful payroll software"

What do you like best?

The setup for new employees is simple. The helpline (online and by phone) is very friendly and helpful when it comes to asking for help.

What do you dislike?

I have ran into various issues when Rise is giving us wrong information on certain payroll treatments. I would expect Rise to provide us with payroll support, including how to calculate vacation pay etc. There are times when I feel like I had to do the research on my side and then educate Rise on how to put the calculation together.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

May need to have a HR specialist in the office as I wouldn't recommend relying on Rise fully on payroll issues and treatments.

We are a growing fintech company and expanding very quickly. There are constant changes in the company and therefore we are always in contact with Rise to change the way we build departments. There are certain reports that we have used that enables us to calculate FTE.

Director, Finance

"Cloud-based, lightweight Payroll service - It Just Works!"

What do you like best?

I like the easy data input, which resembles a spreadsheet style layout (great for finance folks!), the system is easy enough to use (simple logics, easy formulas for new codes), I also like the email statement delivery (better than paper statement of earnings or logging into other services, or even the website itself to get statements), and I also like the ease of reporting - I can easily design reports or request help, and their team is friendly and easy to work with, should I have any requests.

I also love their fee structure. It's simple without all the nickel and diming that is so prevalent with other providers.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot to gripe about. I wish it was simple enough to get the regular journal entries for our payroll without bugging their team all the time for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a very straight forward product with simple data entry all on one page, and everything is laid out in a logical manner that makes it easy to use.

The problem was having confusing platforms that had steep learning curves, having to distribute paper copies of statement of earnings (or having employees having to login to other sites to retrieve statements), and getting rid of per-service pricing, which was difficult to predict and confusing to understand (e.g. cost to do a one-off pay run, cost to prepare year-end docs, costs to run terminations, etc.).

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for your feedback, Sandeep! We’re thrilled to hear that you’ve found our product features, from data inputting to report generating, to be easy to use. Your suggestion for improving our journal entries feature is currently being addressed, as our development team is in the process of building a web-based journal entry tool. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to our client service team with any further suggestions for improvement -- we’d love to hear from you!

AI

"Over promises, under delivers"

What do you like best?

Better than manual process. Even with its clunky interface, Rise still saves time over using PDOCs.

What do you dislike?

Clunky interface, disinterested support. I've put in tickets and made feature requests that haven't been implemented in years. I get a notification at midnight right before payroll data is due at 10am. If I'm asleep before I get the notification, I have to rush in the morning to get it done. I can view my payroll reporting schedule in Rise, but can't export it into my calendar so that I get earlier notifications. I've suggested/requested letting the user specify when they get the notification and calendar export but after asking for it for a year and a half, I don't expect it to happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are lots of other options out there for payroll right now. I think Rise has refocused. You should consider other options. The main reason we're still with them is inertia and the challenge of moving to a new system mid-year.

Time spent doing manual payroll.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience with requesting calendar and notification features. Due to the volume of feature requests we receive, we prioritize requests in our pipeline by the level of client demand. We would be more than happy to address your specific concerns over the phone or via email, so please feel free to reach out to us anytime to speak to one of our client services representatives. We’re dedicated to assisting all of our clients and ensuring that you have a great experience with our product and services. Thank you.

President
Accounting

"Good functionality, but poor integration"

What do you like best?

The product is easy to use with capability to add new users and custom pay types and pay periods. There is flexibility and is a stable product. A bit user unfriendly in some ways including the need to manually enable email notifications for each employee. Biggest downside is that there is no direct integration to QBO or Xero despite the fact that this was a selling feature during the sales process. All things considered though, it's a good product on the market given the price.

What do you dislike?

It does not directly integrate with QBO or Xero.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Onboarding team is great, particularly Bhuvi who is always there to fix any issues. Software is glitchy but does the job.

Does not have a good accountant portal and clients must sign up on their own.

Automatic email notification to employees, which is not available in QBO.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your kind words on our product functionalities and for sharing your great experience with our onboarding team.

We aim to continue to improve on and add new product features to make the Rise experience as user-friendly as possible. In regards to QBO and Xero integration, we currently have an option to export Journal Entry data into the format needed for QBO and Xero. That said, we will pass along your direct integration request to our development team for further consideration. Our team is also working on a simpler process for email notifications for employees.

If you have additional software feedback to share, please feel free to reach out to our support team via the contact info listed below.

All the best,

Controller

"Great software, and amazing customer support"

What do you like best?

From the sales demo, to the onboarding, everything went amazingly smooth and seamlessly. Moving payroll over to another company would seem daunting; however, not with Rise's amazing onboarding. Hub/Time Off is super easy to use and requires little, if any change management. Rise's payroll system is a lot more modern than ADP's.

What do you dislike?

So far, nothing. We had some early requests into adding "Days in lieu" and it has already been completed and is read to roll out.

More accurate T4 reporting within payroll. A better pay stub distribution system. No more errors in vacation day tracking in an Excel spreadsheet. In short, saves us time, and therefore, money.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thank you, Yuzo! We are delighted to hear about your smooth onboarding experience. If you have any further requests or suggestions as they relate to our product, please feel free to share them with our support team. We love hearing feedback from our customers as it helps us continually improve and build upon our products and services.

AE

"RISE is super useful but as with all things, could use some tweaks."

What do you like best?

It is fairly intuitive. I like the design of it and everything is clearly labeled and easy to find. I appreciate the option to chat with a rep and always having my calls answered.

I really like the option of creating reports within the time off hub for policies used.

What do you dislike?

There are some options that I feel are missing. I would like to be able to see time off accrued as well as the total time. For our organization, this would be extremely useful.

Also, I get an error message frequently. I wish I was able to toggle between payroll and the other hub. Instead of logging in to each platform.

It has created an organized way of booking and tracking time off, and allows

It is simple for Staff to use to request time off.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for your feedback and for your kind words on our product design and user experience. We’re sorry to hear about the issues you’re facing with viewing time off accrual and toggling between hubs. Please feel free to contact our support team - we’d love to be able to resolve this.

Payroll Administrator, PCP
Food & Beverages

"Outstanding Product with Exceptional Service"

What do you like best?

The easy-of-use and reporting features are outstanding. I have had the experience of working with various other service providers in my payroll profession and have found no other platform that is this user friendly. The Rise team is always there to assist with reporting needs, compliance questions and takes a tremendous amount of pride in building a relationship with their clients.

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike most is the use of the utility that is used to import data from our timekeeping software. However I will say Rise is currently working diligently to improve this process.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth doing the research and comparison

The business problems we have solved by using Rise that has assisted us greatly is the real-time reporting , journal entries. The overall benefit by making this move has been a savings in time and overall costs for processing payrolls.

AM

"Happy Customer - Flexible System with Stellar Support Team"

What do you like best?

Rise have an incredibly easy to use interface that minimizes the possibility of inputting errors (especially when compared to our previous provider). We have control over our payroll and can make changes in the blink of an eye. If we ever have a question Rise are only a phone call or live chat away. When we do need to call them, Rise have the friendliest, most helpful support team I have encountered and best of all the call is always answered promptly without having to wait on hold for a rep.

As a medical clinic we have many different and complicated payroll rules. Rise worked with us to make sure that the system was set up exactly the way we needed it making it easy for our staff to use.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything negative to say about Rise.

Where our previous payroll could only be processed from one computer we now have the flexibility to work on payroll from any computer that has an internet connection meaning it's a lot easier for us to review payroll and make any necessary changes necessary before processing payment.

Rise is by far the most flexible system we've found, allowing us to make changes from an organisational to an employee level with ease.

Rise is also cheaper than the competition so in addition to time savings due to the easier workflow we are saving on the cost for the service compared to our previous provider.

Principal
Events Services

"Great Customer Service - Extremely Pleased"

What do you like best?

The customer service is extremely thoughtful, they are very helpful with any questions we have.

The sales process was painless, and I find the communication to always be high level and important. What sets RISE apart is they actually care about building value for your organization, and solving issues.

Inputting is a breeze, and integrates with our Punch Clock systems - simple export a CSV, and import it into a XLS and it just works.

A+

What do you dislike?

The portal for the employees could be offered and included with the base fee, but it's not a missing feature, just something that is a "would be nice!".

Solving accuracy, timely, attentive payroll services.

Solving ballooned costs from similar providers.

Solving employee anger over improper, or inflexible payroll services.

Creative Director/CEO
Computer Games

"PaySavvy makes everything easier"

What do you like best?

PaySavvy uses a modern interface that works on computer, tablet, phone or any device that can connect to the net. That isn't the best thing though... the best thing is the people and how quickly they help you with whatever issue you are having.

What do you dislike?

There have been a few bugs and a few misfired emails but the team at PaySavvy has worked to fix them very quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Switch. You won't regret it. You have no idea how much better it is!

PaySavvy makes my payroll, ROEs and T4s super simple. My time is spent doing my job rather than trying to get a program from the 90s to run on Internet Explorer... like I used to have to do before PaySavvy.

Marketing Director
Financial Services

"Great Service "

What do you like best?

Rise offers free service to small businesses that have only a few employees. Admittedly, we feared that "free service" may mean "free of service". That is not the case. We receive full support, and feel very well cared for.

What do you dislike?

Not having direct experience with other payroll service providers, I don't have benchmarks for comparison. We found some of the on-boarding experience to be a little tricky, but nothing insurmountable.

We did not hire HR and Payroll during the start-up phase of our company. Rise eliminated much of the work of payroll, like calculating deductions and tax filing, allowing the directors to focus on tasks related to growing the company instead.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Renee. We’re happy to hear you enjoy using Rise Lite, our free payroll software for small businesses. We would love to learn more about your onboarding experience so that we may make it easier for others in the future. When you have time, please feel free to get in touch with us to share your feedback.

Partner
Staffing and Recruiting

"Great payroll solution for our fast growing company!"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. We didn't have a payroll system in place prior to Paysavvy. The implementation team made it easy to get set-up correctly for employees in various locations across Canada. It's flexible for hourly, salaried and contract employees and allows for a lot of customization. Once set-up, you can just go about your business an not have to think about payroll. Just log in every couple of weeks to approve or make any adjustments. Also, adding new employees is easy and the Paysavvy team is highly responsive to any questions.

What do you dislike?

Requirements during the implementation. As we didn't have anything in place, there is a time commitment, data collection and timelines to follow. This isn't something avoidable, and something to be expected when adding any new system/vendor, but the part of the process I enjoyed the least.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great solution that I highly recommend!

Peace of mind. Knowing that employees will be paid on time with all appropriate deductions based on employment type and province.

Payroll & Benefits Administrator
Insurance

"Rise feedback"

What do you like best?

I like being able to quickly review a pay statement, and how easy it is to process an Ad-hoc pay run. Easy electronic pay statement delivery.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to upload mass salary changes. Having to update each instruction, and wait for it to process, before proceeding to the next instruction. It would be great to be able to update three instructions, and then save the input sheet.

Ad-hoc payrolls have cut down on the number of people involved, and the time it had been taking, to process one. It can now be done in less than 15 minutes.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

That’s great feedback, Pam! We’re happy to hear that our software has helped you save time and we thank you for your product functionality suggestions. We’ll be sure to pass them along to our development team for future consideration.

Feel free get in touch with our support team at any time - we’d love to be able to help you.

1-888-393-3483

"Great Customer Service - Saves Time."

What do you like best?

I like how simple it is to put in payroll numbers for my employees. I can add or delete employees in a snap. Our company uses commissions as well and i have a separate column for that, which makes it more clear to read. The software is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how it is a longer process to change the payroll date and the 3 days wait period which doesn't include weekends.

much time is saved through rise as i do not need to file anything and all reports are easily accessible

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for your feedback! We’re glad to hear that you’ve found Rise to be user-friendly and time-saving.

We completely understand that it might be frustrating that changing payroll dates at the last minute may take up to three business days, but that is unfortunately out of our control, as we have to change the time/day that we pull the funds from the bank. It’s the banks that take time to adjust and approve these withdrawals.

If there are any further questions or concerns you have, or if you’d like more information on changing payroll times and days, please feel free to reach out to us -- we’d be more than happy to help you.

SVP Finance
Financial Services

"The software is simple and user friendly."

What do you like best?

The software is simple and user friendly. The team at Rise is always available to provide knowledgeable service.

What do you dislike?

nothing about the product to dislike as it was built with the user in mind

We required a low cost and efficient payroll provider and Rise met those requirements.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for the terrific review, Steve! We’re thrilled to hear that you love using Rise.

UF

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use once you figure out the system. It took the guess work out of paying employees, everything is automated.

What do you dislike?

Not so user friendly at first, I had to call in a few times to get the hang of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn how the software works. Call customer support, they are very easy to deal with. Once you have it all set up it's a breeze.

Saving time, paying employees and taxes was always trouble for me.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We’re happy you now find Rise to be helpful and easy to use. If you have any specific feedback related to your comments on your initial impression of the user interface, we’d love to hear it! Please reach out to us anytime.

AC

"Easy to setup. Easy to use"

What do you like best?

Simple intuitive interface. Takes 5 min every for every payroll. Easy to add employees.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to have an option to automate the payroll without having to go in every 2 weeks. Could just be an email that alerts me about the payroll and the details and a button for confirm. That way I only have to into the system when there are changes to my payroll

I don't need to hire a payroll administrator so I can do it myself.

Response from Elizabeth Rosalyn The of Rise

Thanks for your great review! We’re glad to hear that you find Rise payroll easy to use. We’ve passed along your functionality suggestion to our developers for consideration.

Facilitator - Professional Education Program
Accounting

"Flexible payroll system "

What do you like best?

The user interface is clean and easy to use. The reporting is extremely flexible and relatively easy to setup. The staff are knowledgeable and really easy to start chatting with on any page of the website. Implementation

What do you dislike?

There seems to be a bit of a transition going on from external applications to in house development. This has lead to a slow process for implementing POT and human resource module. They promise me the new applications will be worth the wait.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have the need to expense employees over complicated allocations, the reporting is really good.

We've saved $4,000 a Year in doing the payroll in house vs. External payroll consultant, as well as a lower annual fee than simply accounting. I would say it also saves 10 hours / month of staff time.

AP

"Great services for small businesses"

What do you like best?

We switched over from ADP which didn't fit well with the size of our organization. Rise was a valuable switch as our payroll provider for the level of flexibility and control that you receive. Level of customer service and response time was not compromised and we are really happy with the service for our needs overall.

What do you dislike?

Nothing too much - would like to be able to solve our timesheet problems with it but wasn't yet ready to use.

Payroll processing and administration

CF

"Not a happy Customer "

What do you like best?

Most staff are very polite and try to assist the best they can.

What do you dislike?

-web portal is very slow -inputting a nightmare , as a customer I am doing most of the work -no bill payment option for TD bank -no easy way to query monthly data for P&L reporting on accurate labour numbers -Vancouver time useless for customer service for clients in Toronto -pay is delay and sometimes does not hit employee accounts - 3 day processing -apparently we had a few issues when franchising a store and as franchisor I was removed from automatic debit ???

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you compare pricing and web portal functions. Adp and ceridian are the top players in the payroll market and are much cheaper . Auto debit and bill payment function with all major canadian financial institutions is a must ! No recourse if a mistake is made on debit instructions .. No ownership or willingness to work with growing client that has 6 profiles with paysavvy . I will be moving my expanding business to a payroll service provider that is willing to work with our expansion

No Benefits very expensive over 230 $ per pay run for 10 employees - better off using ceridian .. I have spoken to owner and voiced my concerns - unfortunately paysavvy is a small outfit that can't compete on pricing or customer support the we portal is very slow and not user friendly - I am not convinced that this company handle large franchisors .. At their price point they need to think of making the system easy and take more of an accounting role per months .. Ceridian 90$ vs paysavvy 230$ Not contest

Rise Features