Do you work for OpenOffice?

OpenOffice Reviews & Product Details

What is OpenOffice?

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.

OpenOffice Profile Details

OpenOffice Profile Details

The Apache Software Foundation
Description
Community-led development since 1999. FoundationProjectsPeopleGet InvolvedDownloadSupport ApacheHome. We consider ourselves not simply a group of projects sharing a server, but rather a community of developers and users.
1999

OpenOffice Reviews

1-50 of 104 total OpenOffice reviews

OpenOffice Reviews

1-50 of 104 total OpenOffice reviews
OpenOffice review by Linda G.
Senior Account Manager

"A capable office software collection with good file compatibility"

What do you like best?

I like that it comes with two of the most common application types I use, which is the word processor and the spreadsheet program. The tools and features in each program are similar to Microsoft products, which for me means they're easy to use. I didn't have to figure out too much in order to start using them. Also, I can save files that are compatible with Microsoft and other files. Files produced from other office software can mostly be opened and edited in OpenOffice as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't like having to install software to my computer. I value my computer's storage space and also don't like to have to regularly update OpenOffice with newer versions. I would prefer if there were a similar online version that had the same amount of capabilities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though it's probably not the top of the line for office software, I would recommend OpenOffice for it's respectable capabilites and low price point.

I can write pretty much whatever I need in OpenOffice's word processing application. I use it for many types of documents and anything that needs a good spell check. I've benefited from the spreadsheet application by being able to perform complex functions that are run for data analysis and financial reports. OpenOffice has been a reliable office tool that me and many of my colleagues can depend on to view many of the documents we receive on a weekly basis.

OpenOffice review by Mario R.
Web Designer
Internet

"Great app for office"

What do you like best?

This application has many years of development and I have been using it almost since its creation before it was bought by Oracle and I continued to use it from its fork to libreoffice, today I still use it since it is a very useful application. simple to use and fast that is also very stable because thanks to the development time of this has only serious bugs.

Technically the application works very well in terms of word processing, spreadsheets and presentations, and personally are the most used by me. Calc as spreadsheets and Writer as a word processor includes the possibility of making macros that help automate actions especially useful to tabulate data in spreadsheets, apply discounts to figures and other calculations or modifications that are necessary in this type of Applications.

What do you dislike?

Its pace of updates has considerably since become a fork of the application and many abandoned it, although it still works very well is being a little behind on the subject of monthly updates.

Another failure that I did not like is the obligation to register your name in the application when installing it, I do not understand why this obligation is unnecessary since most people want to use anonymous applications without providing their data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using this office suite to produce text documents of any type in which you need to apply different styles or apply margins or even the format of the sheets when printing them. I also recommend using this application if you need an office suite that is free.

For work reasons I need to prepare daily reports about my work and with Openoffice I can do it in a quick way thanks to its macros. It also helps me a lot to use calculation sheets, the possibility of applying formulas by default.

OpenOffice review by Helia L.
Ascribed Researcher

"Great office package, compatible with everything, powerful and free!"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice has become an office package more than great because at no cost we can make great text documents, arrays in spreadsheets, presentations and databases that can be superior to documents processed in Microsoft Office. It has all the necessary benefits for work in university or in the company without investing sums of money. It was the first office package that allowed exporting text files to PDF format, allows saving documents in other formats, offers the possibility of opening any document in other formats and can be installed in both Linux and Windows, which gives a total compatibility.

What do you dislike?

It takes a period of adaptation for users accustomed to Microsoft Office because the menus and some buttons are in the usual positions and when opening documents in formats other than OpenOffice, we can find some variations in the texts, images or margins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We highly recommend OpenOffice to all users of office packages. These programs will provide you with all the tools you need and at no cost

Para nuestra compañía ha sido de gran ayuda, especialmente con la hoja de cálculo, ya que nos ha permitido hacer algunos gráficos de dispersión y con cuadrantes en modelos de múltiples variables que con Excel no podíamos. LO usamos hace tiempo atrás ya que hemos adquirido nuevas computadoras y las licencias de Microsoft Office han caducado por lo que OpenOffice fue nuestra opción mas viable y estamos complacidos con el paquete. For presentations at events, OpenOffice Drawing has allowed us to create interesting and very striking content. With OpenOffice Writer we create more eye-catching and customizable text documents. The great advantage we have obtained with this office package is its compatibility and free of costs.

OpenOffice review by Manuel C.

"A nice office tool that comes for free"

What do you like best?

I started using it thanks to one of my coworkers, and I don't regret a bit. Efficient, simple and powerful, yet incredibly light when running it. It gets the job done, and that's all I need from it. I also find amazing how reliable its compatibility is, even greater than other office suites like microsoft office. I'm able to open and edit the documents created by this last software, but the other way around? No, the files just get all messed up.

What do you dislike?

They did a terrible job in the marketing field, but thats understandable as it is free software. There's nothing much else I can complain for. I'd just like that it could come preinstalled, but there's no way that will happen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recomment to test things out by yourself. Next time you need to get some paperwork done, give it a try. As the free software it is, it will never let you down asking for licenses.

Well, what kind of problems could I solve in an office with a good office suite like OpenOffice? Pretty much everything. This tool, along with Adobe reader and my very own hads get most of the job done. If you're wondering if I felt something lacking, the answer is no. It fits its role just perfectly.

OpenOffice review by Francisco H.

"Es mi herramienta de trabajo predilecta"

What do you like best?

Me encontré con OpenOffice cuando me hice con un ordenador sin sin licencia de Microsoft Office, y cuando lo hice, no esperaba salir tan satisfecho. Es prácticamente idéntica en funcionalidades, pero con la ventaja de que es software libre, sin ningún tipo de cobro, y además muy ligero a la hora de instalar. Además he notado que es mucho menos molesto a la hora de utilizarlo que el de Microsoft, porque no tiene mensajes invasivos sobre evaluación.

What do you dislike?

Quizá que las plantillas que la comunidad crea están un poco desactualizadas, y la comunidad misma no es muy activa. Desconozco el motivo, pero no me parece tan grave. Con el material que existe ya en la web es más que suficiente.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simplemente puedo recomendarte que lo pruebes. OpenOffice te será bastante más útil que los de versión de evaluación, y sabes que no te dejarán tirado si se te caduca. Cuanto antes te acostumbres al cambio, mejor que mejor.

Antes de imprimir virtualmente en PDF, cuando trabajo con mi ordenador, hago absolutamente todo con OpenOffice. Si no tengo que compartir los documentos con mis compañeros directamente, esta es la herramienta que utilizo. Además, al ser gratis, puedo instalarlo fácilmente en cualquier ordenador nuevo.

OpenOffice review by Julio S.

"Free and easygoing with the user, but not as reliable as others."

What do you like best?

Despite being free, it works almost as well as other office suite programs such as MicroSoft Office. A complete office package with text editor, tables, presentations and much more. It is easy to find and to install, and also weighs little and consumes few resources. It is efficient, without being perfect.

What do you dislike?

It is not perfect because the dev team split and we don't have the same support that we used to, and the community that made templates is also a bit inactive. As a consequence of this, the design looks somewhat old and the bugs will not have any early solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not always have an internet connection and you need a reliable program without paying, I advise you to use Open Office. It has its cons, but it fulfills its main purpose.

Open Office saves my life every time I have to use a computer that is not mine without an internet connection. I always have an Open Office installer on the pen drive of my keychain for emergency issues, because thanks to my job I travel a lot and I am not always able to carry my laptop with me. Thanks to Open Office I can be sure that I will be able to continue working as long as I have a computer in front of me.

OpenOffice review by Juan Manuel A.

"Buen producto para no ser de pago"

What do you like best?

Pese a no ser de pago, cumple casi tan bien como los programas de edición de texto como MicroSoft Office. Un paquete de oficina completo con editor de texto, de tablas, de presentaciones y mucho más. Es fácil de instalar y de encontrar, y además pesa poco y consume pocos recursos. Es eficiente, sin ser perfecto.

What do you dislike?

No es perfecto porque el equipo diseñador se separó y ya no disfruta de tantas actualizaciones ni soporte, y la comunidad que hacía plantillas lo tiene medio abandonado. Como consecuencia de esto, el diseño se ve algo viejo y los bugs no tendrán soluciones tempranas. Es una pena.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si no siempre dispones de conexión a internet y necesitas un programa fiable sin pagar, te aconsejo utilizar Open Office. Tiene sus defectos, pero cumple con su cometido.

Open Office me salva la vida cada vez que tengo que utilizar un ordenador ajeno sin conexión a internet. Siempre llevo un instalador de Open Office en el pen drive de mi llavero para cuestiones de emergencia, porque por mi trabajo viajo mucho y no siempre puedo llevar conmigo mi ordenador portátil. Gracias a Open Office puedo estar seguro de que podré seguir trabajando siempre que tenga un ordenador delante.

OpenOffice review by Jose J.

"Es bastante completo para ser un servicio gratuito"

What do you like best?

Es un programa casi tan completo como MS Office, pero gratuito, lo que es de agradecer. Ya que Microsoft Office no tiene las funciones que pueden tener otros en su competencia y aun así tiene un precio bastante elevando sabiendo que existen muchas alternativas, como Open Office, totalmente gratuitas.

What do you dislike?

El mayor problema de Open Office, es que su interfaz está muy desfasada, por lo tanto deberían centrarse en crear una interfaz más moderna, tipo material design, que es el estilo actual en diseño de aplicaciones y programas, así que deberían centrarse en ello o por otra parte, también podrían hacer accesible la aplicación a interfaces externas, creadas por terceros, por usuarios, como hacen otros muchos programas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Como alternativa a MS Office puede ser una gran opción si no quieres gastarte dinero en una suite que ofrece lo mismo que una gratuita.

Al igual que todas las suites ofimáticas, Open Office te permite escribir documentos, crear y modificar hojas de cálculo, crear presentaciones, así como la modificación de todo tipo de documentos con formato compatible respecto a la suite.

OpenOffice review by Estanislao J.

"Potente y gratuito. Sabe cómo fidelizar."

What do you like best?

Me gusta, evidentemente, que sea gratuito. Me gusta porque su interfaz es clara y fácil de entender, y también porque me permite editar formatos incluso de programas externos con licencias de pago. Ofrece una gran cantidad de herramientas útiles para la oficina que no tiene nada que envidiar a microsoft office.

What do you dislike?

Tras haber utilizado excel, cuesta un poco reaprender a utilizar open office calc, pero te acostumbras en seguida. No se me ocurre ningún otro punto negativo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dale una oportunidad. Asegúrate de buscar en la comunidad de open office todo lo que necesites, pues seguro que alguien ya ha pensado la idea de lo que tú querías hacer y te hará la vida mucho más fácil. Es lo bueno de las comunidades de software gratuito, existe la ayuda desinteresada.

La gran cantidad de plantillas disponibles me permite organizar mi trabajo de forma clara y concisa, y despachar mis documentos con seguridad y rapidez. Además, como consume muy pocos recursos, puedo moverlo fácilmente en los ordenadores de la oficina, que no es que sean los más modernos del mercado.

OpenOffice review by Rodrigo L.

"Free and good"

What do you like best?

Following the steps of the Office. Free Constant evolution Open and save in multiple formats Very complete suite.

A very good alternative to the Microsoft Office. One of the advantages is that you do not have to pay to have an writer, and the compatibility of files is even greater than that of microsoft, it is light, it has everything you need to be one of the best office suite, and above all it is FREE!!

What do you dislike?

The only failure that I find and it does not always happen is to open some files made by Office or Office, because they tend to dislocate the paragraphs and images. Some problems when opening files of Office Very heavy in execution (like the Office)

You have to learn how to do spreadsheets. Slightly different to excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth and free. Don't fall for the paid options, it's not worth your money in this case.

I have been working with him for over 2 years and I have not found many negative things although I get documents in other formats, I can read them with this suite. It has appearance options that I have not seen in the competition, and I only use the microsoft when I use a computer that is not mine. For the mathematical formulas it is excellent, the spreadsheet does not ask for anything to the others, my slides look spectacular, in short, I have not found anything negative until now. I would recommend it to everyone.

OpenOffice review by Isabel T.

"Está bien"

What do you like best?

Es gratis, y eso es lo más importante, pero no funciona todo lo bien que debería ya que no está generalizado para su uso común como sí lo está el oficial de windows office. Es una pena porque me gusta el software libre, pero el dinero manda.

What do you dislike?

La incompatibilidad es clave. Te estropea el formato de muchos archivos al no poder adaptarlos y no puedes volver a guardarlos después de editarlos en su formato original.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilízalo si no te queda alternativa, pero no esperes poder editar el texto en el futuro con tu editor de textos habitual. Necesitarás o pasarlo a pdf o bajarte Open Office en tu otro ordenador para poder editarlo correctamente. Instala los mínimos accesorios porque realmente nunca los vas a utilizar, deselecciona todas las casillas al instalar, ocupan espacio de forma inútil.

Me ha hecho el apaño para salir del paso cuando lo he necesitado, ya fuese en ordenadores sin el Microsoft word o en otros con las licencias caducadas. Es bueno para poner en ordenadores que venían sin sistema operativo.

OpenOffice review by Juan P.

"Completo y gratuito"

What do you like best?

Lo mejor es que es gratuito, evidentemente, y es un programa que no tiene que envidiar a los de microsoft que son de pago. Yo particularmente lo encuentro más amigable con el usuario. Además es muy ligero y viene con una gran cantidad de herramientas que uso constantemente, como conversión rápida a PDF y cosas así.

What do you dislike?

La compatibilidad entre open office y microsoft word es difícil. Los achivos se ven rotos, y eso es un problema para mí, porque mucha gente utiliza word antes que open offfice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maximizar la compatibilidad al guardar archivos para no tener problemas cuando los mandas a otra gente. Preferentemente lo ideal sería pasarlos a pdf antes para que no haya ningún desajuste por parte del editor de textos que utilice nuestro destinatario. De no ser posible, guardar con la opción de máxima compatibilidad con la pestaña de abajo.

He escrito tanto ponencias, he preparado debates, he escrito novelas, preparado exámenes y apuntes... Simplemente me ha salvado la vida, y junto a su compatibilidad con android me lo llevo a todas partes. Funciona mejor en android que los competidores.

OpenOffice review by Xavier B.
Coordinador

"Prueba OpenOffice, no te arrepentirás"

What do you like best?

Una de las ventajas que me ofrece es que es un programa multiplataforma, ya que puedo disponer de él en Windows o Linux. Otra cosa que me gusta es que es gratuito, por lo que no hay que pagar por él ni por sus actualizaciones. Sólo son de pago algunas mejoras del programa. Además, a día de hoy existen numerosas extensiones para aplicarlas a Openoffice. Consume muchos menos recursos que el software de Microsoft, por lo que el ordenador te va a funcionar de manera más rápida. Además, Openoffice posee la facilidad de guardar los documentos en formato Open o en otros formatos como el .doc. Por último, Openoffice dispone de una herramienta para exportar directamente nuestros documentos a pdf.

What do you dislike?

Los usuarios acostumbrados a Office van a tener dificultades en su uso lo que va a provocar que sobre todo en los sectores empresariales es necesario un periodo de adaptación, puesto que los botones y funciones no se encuentran en el mismo sitio dentro de la interfaz. Los nuevos menús despistan a más de uno. A veces se cuelga al usarlo, sobre todo, cuando modificamos un documento procedente de Office, en algunas ocasiones, al hacer cambios, guardarlo, cerrarlo y volverlo a abrir y no se encuentran los márgenes en el mismo sitio o las tabulaciones por lo que es frustrante tener que volverlo a modificar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un programa de código de fuente abierto y esto permite que cualquier desarrollador pueda realizar modificaciones y extensiones del programa por lo que tendrás siempre el programa actualizado. Tienes que probarlo es una gran y ligera alternativa gratuita a otros editores de texto !!!!

Me ha sido muy útil para crear procesamiento de palabras, hojas de cálculo, presentaciones, gráficos, bases de datos y más. También me ha servido para exportar estos documentos a PDF y que así no se puedan realizar cambios en él.

OpenOffice review by Cristian M.

"Paquete de oficina estupendo y gratuito"

What do you like best?

Me ayudó mucho con todos los proyectos y presentaciones.

Utilizo principalmente Apache OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress y Math. Lo uso en Windows (sin embargo, está disponible para Mac y Linux) y tiene una buena integración con mi sistema operativo. Es software libre, un gran sustituto de las versiones de pago. Tiene buena funcionalidad y compatibilidad con los diferentes tipos de archivos. Me encanta que haya un montón de extensiones que se pueden descargar gratuitamente.

What do you dislike?

No hay mucha documentación de los problemas, cuando uno aparece es difícil encontrar solución rápida.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Apache OpenOffice se ha convertido en una gran alternativa a otras marcas y desde su creación ha mejorado significativamente. Cuando lo descubrí lo sugerí a mi equipo de trabajo y constantemente recibo felicitaciones por la buena elección que hicimos con la implementación de este software. Apache OpenOffice tiene todo lo que necesita en una oficina.

Edición de documentos y trabajos con la mayoria de formatos de archivos de oficina como documentos de texto y hojas de calculo.

OpenOffice review by Liz W.
Photographer
Photography
(Myself Only)

"OpenOffice, Free Word Alternative"

What do you like best?

What I like best about OpenOffice I can sum up in three words: free + fully functional. When I bought my first Macbook, I did not want to pay additionally for Microsoft Word or any other processing software. I found OpenOffice as a free alternative that met all of my basic needs.

What do you dislike?

My complaint is not a big one: it does not have all the bells, whistles and support of Microsoft Office, but for anyone who needs simple word processing, this is hardly an issue. One other note, the software is sometimes laggy. However, I must stress, this software is absolutely free - it's not a trial version, there's no subscription plan - so I would not expect it to be anything other than what it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a free word processor and you do not need all the bells and whistles of Microsoft Office, then OpenOffice is the program for you. The software can sometimes be laggy and the design options are not quite at Microsoft level, but it is compatible with Microsoft Office file formats and there's only a small learning curve to it. If you're coming from Microsoft Office, you should be able to jump right into OpenOffice.

I use OpenOffice for free to create any business-related documents: invoices, receipts, quotes, etc. It is perfectly adequate for this purpose. I do not have the need to create more complicated documents or presentations, so I can move through the administrative part of my day with ease and no cost.

OpenOffice review by Karen T.
Lead Careers Adviser

"OpenOffice My Review"

What do you like best?

The thing I like most almost this item is likely the cost. It's free and works well. Outside of this in spite of the fact that I truly just like the advancement that has gone into OpenOffice. When it began out, it was ghastly, restricted and buggy. More critically compatibility with Office programs (e.g., Word and Exceed expectations) was unimaginably iffy and slacked behind each update. There was an exceptionally little reason to utilize OpenOffice aside from the cost. These days it still doesn't see extraordinary (it's superior in spite of the fact that!), but it's such a progressed involvement in terms of the rest of those issues. For Writer does everything most will want from Word and I prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. And if open-source is a priority for you, it is a big plus for OpenOffice.

What do you dislike?

OpenOffice, despite many updates, still stands out from the competition with its features, I would also change the UI interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an open-source solution that will enable you to use office tools, you should consider choosing the OpenOffice package.

Using OpenOffice saves me money on purchasing paid office solutions.

OpenOffice review by Twin A.
Owner
Farming

"Hooray for Open Source word processing, spreadsheets and more!"

What do you like best?

Open Source! There are still developers that believe that products on the internet should always be free. In the age of hyper capitalism, it is a blessing to see people willing to give regardless of the group-think mentality. This is especially true for OpenOffice. Being a startup business, we needed to stream all of our revenue and profit right back into building our business. Desktop computing application cost certainly wasn't one of our desired line items for expenses. We were forced to scour the internet for a Windows-based word processing and spreadsheet solution that wasn't controlled by the Microsoft behemoth. All rise for the honorable Open Office! The similarities to MS Office are so close that it is almost the generic version of the proprietary juggernaut. Not much needs to be said about these mainstay applications except that the usability, look and feel, and functionality of the code functions (especially in OpenOffice's spreadsheet) are so similar that someone with basic knowledge of Excel coding pump out some vlookups. We use the word processor and spreadsheets extensively, however for those looking for Visio-style page diagrams and Access-style databases - OpenOffice definitely delivers!

What do you dislike?

The paste-special function is a bit cumbersome in the OpenOffice spreadsheet with its multiple checkboxes in the dialog box, but hey its open source and free so quit complaining! :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dump MS Office and their high price tag for OpenOffice today! Your wallet with fatten because of it!

Word processing, PDF conversion, spreadsheet management, and more. We realized the benefits of savings, savings, savings!

OpenOffice review by Mia C.
Marketing Associate

"A complete office suite with extensive features"

What do you like best?

I primarily like that OpenOffice has all the main types of office software included in one downloadable package. The tools and interface of each program has a consistently user-friendly design that makes them intuitive to use. The functionality of the text editor and spreadsheet programs, which are the two programs I use most often, are similar to the equivalent Microsoft products. I can save files in many different formats, which allows me to load documents created in other software and vice versa.

What do you dislike?

With so many web browser-based software out there, it would be nice if OpenOffice had a web browser version that we can simple log into and use from any computer. The download size of the full OpenOffice package is rather large. To keep it updated, I have to periodically download the latest version for peak performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that OpenOffice has most of the capabilities that are expected from office suite applications, so it can be an effective tool for just about any business documents needs from writing simple marketing copy to creating complex accounting forms.

OpenOffice allows me to cut down on my software costs since it's significantly cheaper than other popular full-featured office suites like Microsoft Office. I can view, create and edit virtually all of the documents I need for work. I use OpenOffice's spreadsheet program for many types of lists that I use for internal and external purposes. I'm able to use the formatting options to customize marketing documents very precisely for both print and digital media projects.

OpenOffice review by Mónica R.
Encargada de proyectos de TI | E-Commerce

"Software libre para oficina"

What do you like best?

Tiene todo los que necesita una suite de oficina. Editor de texto, hoja de datos. Se puede hacer todo lo requerido. Ademas de que es software libre, por lo que cualquiera, en cualquier momento puede descargarlo y usarlo en su computador sin muchas restricciones y totalmente gratis. Open Office lo van actualizando constantemente, y los desarrolladores y colaboradores van sacando paquetes que se pueden instalar para ampliar sus funciones, como paquetes de idiomas.

What do you dislike?

La visual del programa podría ser mejorable. Le falta "belleza", además que es un poquito complicado hacer que las otras suites de oficinas lean los archivos creados en Open Office, lo que a veces es un problema al compartir los archivos. Al editor de planillas de datos, le faltan algunas funciones que tiene la suite de Microsoft.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Open Office es muy similar a cualquier otra suite de oficina, por lo que es muy fácil aprender a usarla.

A parte de que es un software libre, lo que puede ser descargado e instalado gratis, es fácilmente instalable en cualquier sistema operativo. Se puede usar bases de datos, editor de texto, hojas de calculo igual que cualquier otra suite, como la de Microsoft o la de Google. Me permite guardar los documento en PDF, agregar varios diccionarios y paquetes de idioma, muy útil cuando se trabaja en varios idiomas. Ademas de todo esto, puedo descargarlo e instalarlo tanto en windows como en linux de forma fácil y sin complicaciones. Tiene una gran comunidad, en donde se puede hacer consultas y siempre se consigue la ayuda que se necesita.

OpenOffice review by Antonio P.

"Un software completo útil y ediciente para trabajar con él"

What do you like best?

Realmente me gusta mucho este software en comparación con otros que son similares porque no sólo es gratis para cualquiera que desee usarlo, sino que también se puede personalizar fácilmente. Sus herramientas son muy eficaces y rápidas a la hora de cargar todos los documentos.

What do you dislike?

A veces el formato no coincide con el de otro software cuando se transfiere a otro programa de software. A priori es el único inconveniente que le encuentro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totalmente recomendable debido a su gran utilidad a la hora de trabajar, se puede personalizar mucho contenido dentro de él y tiene una gran facilidad a la hora de su manejo, además de su fluidez a la hora de

Lo utilizo mucho para redactar informes en el trabajo, además me ofrece muchas herramientas personalizables para trabajar.

OpenOffice review by Jordan L.
Graphic Designer and Illustrator
Media Production

"OpenOffice: A Software Solution with No Strings Attached"

What do you like best?

The OpenOffice suite of programs have saved me on more than one occasion. While Microsoft Office may be the standard for office productivity software, there are many times when the cost of the software is prohibitive. For students, startups, non-profits, and anyone budget conscious, OpenOffice comes to the rescue. I used OpenOffice exclusively for all of my college writing assignments. I also used the software extensively when first setting up my Freelance design business. And I use it still. Anytime a Microsoft Office subscription lapses or when setting up a new computer not licensed for Microsoft Office, OpenOffice is my go-to.

What do you dislike?

It is no secret that OpenOffice is not nearly as polished as Microsoft Office, but it shouldn't be. The two software suites are not really competitors. OpenOffice is really best compared against other free or low cost data and word possessing programs. Still, since OpenOffice is often looked to as an alternative to Microsoft's programs it is important to note that you will not get all of the bells and whistles you would get with paid software. Don't expect slideshows with fancy transitions or stylish templates. On occasion OpenOffice programs may be less stable or more resource intensive than other software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For anyone looking for a great set of office tools even with a non-existent software budget, OpenOffice can't be beat. Don't be fooled by its freeware status. OpenOffice provides incredible features, an amazing problem-solving community, and an open source philosophy that will keep it a useful software suite for years to come.

One of the greatest benefits of OpenOffice is the ability to open several file formats from other software makers. In particular, it is possible to open, edit, and save documents in .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats. I have used this feature many times to extract data and perform conversions. Expect some features to be lost in transition, but overall it's great to be able to open these formats when the original programs are not available to you. Of all the OpenOffice programs I find Writer and Calc to be the most directly comparable to their Microsoft counterparts. In fact, when using those two programs I don't miss Word or Excel at all. I will admit though, that PowerPoint is still quite a bit superior to OpenOffice Impress.

OpenOffice review by Garni G.
Business Process Consultant
Health, Wellness and Fitness

"FREE, simple, useful. But no desktop publishing application"

What do you like best?

I have most of the features of Microsoft Office, but without having to pay for a subscription or software. Great if you just need the basics and if you value the free price over having advanced features. Great for word processing and spreadsheets.

What do you dislike?

The package does not include an analogue to Microsoft Publisher, and I use that a lot. In addition, although I can save documents in certain Microsoft Office file formats (ie docx, xlsx), Google Drive will not recognize these files and thus that service cannot convert them into the respective file formats. Also, files created in OpenOffice have to be saved as MS Office files or else they cannot be opened by someone who uses MS Office. In addition, there is no OpenOffice App in the Apple App Store. In certain circumstances, the program crashes/freezes when I open certain files. And what is the difference between OpenOffice Math and OpenOffice Calc? MS Office Excel incorporates both of these programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company does a lot of publishing, especially desktop publishing, you should go with another solution (i. e. Microsoft Office, as they have Microsoft Publisher). If designing promotional material is important, then there are better software solutions. The same applies if you frequently edit/view documents on mobile devices. If you just want the basics and don't care much for the bells and whistles, then there is no reason not to implement this solution.

The primary issue that I have solved is the cost.

OpenOffice review by Lincoln S.
Principal
Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Open Office is entirely sufficient."

What do you like best?

OO is a huge application and I only scratch the surface with occasional letter writing and the opening of MS Word documents. For this it works flawlessly. A critical feature of OO is it's ability to save documents in Microsoft Word or Excel format. These may only support "retarded" sets of Microsoft features, but it entirely sufficient for my needs.

What do you dislike?

Like all word processors, page layout is weak. I also suspect, but have not really explored, it's book publishing tools are weak. Book publishing requires special tools that were so badly handled in MS Word, and that are not advertised for OO. These include chapter formatting, index and table creation. The only application that I found to do these things was FrameMaker, which is now unaffordable, like most Adobe products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make every effort to get away from Microsoft products, if only on priciple

All writing and speadsheet needs.

OpenOffice review by Ramon C.

"Paquete de oficina muy útil y con gran efectividad"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice se puede descargar y utilizar completamente sin coste ni licencias de pago. En resumen, significa que cualquier proyecto tanto comercial, educativo o incluso de administración pública, se puede instalar en tantos ordenadores como se desee), es fácil de instalar y muy fácil de usar. Es un paquete de oficina fantástico.

What do you dislike?

Hay muchos datos que incluyen fórmulas complejas que pueden bloquearse o disminuir su rendimiento, pero por lo demás no encuentro ninguna desventaja que no sea esta.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es un paquete de oficina gratuito y muy eficaz. Desde mi punto de vista es muy completo y muy útil para realizar las labores de trabajo.

Lo utilizo para realizar todo el trabajo a ordenador que conlleva mi empresa. Entre ellos está tanto el redactar informes, presupuestos y demás.

OpenOffice review by Elliott S.
Educator
Environmental Services

"A great alternative to Microsoft Office"

What do you like best?

It is just as good as Office and is free! It has all the features that the office products do, but I think it seems to work more smoothly and efficiently. It is easy to download and install, and the set up is really great if you're migrating from Office. All your documents will be available and ready to go in this new software suite.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it. For a newbie, it can be a little daunting finding how to download the suite of products, but once you get it, the set up is very easy and seamless.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it. It's easy to use, and best of all, it is totally free. Why pay all that money to Microsoft.

Mainly using the spreadsheet aspect for doing reports and calculations. Again, very easy to use, very intuitive. Excel always seems so complicated.

OpenOffice review by Rafael M.

"Magnifico Paquete de oficina gratuito"

What do you like best?

Puedo hacer casi todo lo que puedo en otros productos de documentos y los archivos tienen multiples opciones de formato compatibles. Incluye prácticamente el paquete office pero GRATUITO! y lo mejor es que es muy eficaz y comodo de usar, ya que tiene poco peso en el equipo y carga más rapido

What do you dislike?

Algunas aplicaciones como el excel o el powerpoint estan algo más limitadas que el microsoft office, pero siendo gratuitas cumplen de sobra su funcion

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pruebenlo, es gratuito y es eficaz cumple sus funciones correctamente y para su precio es una gran herramienta

Usamos esta suite de oficina gratuita y completa para la creación de documentos y edición, para la oficina o para editar para enviar a los clientes o incluso documentos para nuestros empleados.

OpenOffice review by User

"Best free Word Software program out there"

What do you like best?

It's compatible with all browsers. I've used it with Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox.

It's easy to use. If you're used to MS Word or Word Perfect, it's just as easy to use. I even found that some of the key strokes (short cuts) are the same. So it really speeds up your ability to get documents completed quicker. And did I mention that it's free to download and use? It is. Free!

What do you dislike?

Nothing I dislike at all about it. It has always worked well for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would highly recommend this for all simple office and business tasks! I would never invest in a word software program that costs more than $30 without first trying Open Office. It's easy to download and install. It's free. And we also found that it opened, with no problems, documents that we had saved using other word programs. So it's win win no matter how you use it!

We use it to write documents, create banners, make info sheets. I've even used it to design a company brochure. It has the ability to do that and allows you to fold it into a booklet. Really need ability of this software.

OpenOffice review by sanjeev c.
Software Developer

"Good product not to be paid"

What do you like best?

Despite not being paid, it works almost as well as text editing programs such as MicroSoft Office. A complete office package with text editor, tables, presentations and much more. It is easy to install and find, and also weighs little and consumes few resources. It is efficient, without being perfect.

What do you dislike?

It is not perfect because the designer team separated and no longer enjoys so many updates or support, and the community that made templates has it half abandoned. As a consequence of this, the design looks somewhat old and the bugs will not have any early solutions. It is a pity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not always have an internet connection and you need a reliable program without paying, I advise you to use Open Office. It has its faults, but it fulfills its purpose.

Open Office saves my life every time I have to use a foreign computer without an internet connection. I always have an Open Office installer on the pen drive of my keychain for emergency issues, because I travel a lot because of my work and I can not always carry my laptop with me. Thanks to Open Office I can be sure that I will be able to continue working as long as I have a computer in front of me.

OpenOffice review by Mark D.
Manager

"Open-Source Word Processing - No Cost, No Fuss"

What do you like best?

I love that this is open-source, meaning the design and updates come from a dedicated community of users and creators who are passionate about what they do. This does nearly 100 percent of what I need to do and what I previously used Microsoft Word and Excel for.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes (rarely but on occasion) I am unable to properly open a file into the spreadsheet editor. This is not frequent but can sometimes cause hangups. If it does happen I move on to a different program and try it there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free and easy to use - give it a shot. It's a very worthwhile replacement to Microsoft's products.

Documents, spreadsheets, fliers - all vital and frequently used within my workplace. OpenOffice makes it easy (and quite affordable) to get the job done.

OpenOffice review by Peter B.
Account Executive

"An overall solid office document program for Mac and PC"

What do you like best?

I like that OpenOffice is highly compatible with documents generated from other common office document software like Microsoft Office and Google Docs. OpenOffice has most all of the features one can expect in the most advanced text editing, spreadsheet and presentation software. The layout and user interface are very familiar for those that have used common office document software. Beginners will likely find using OpenOffice to be intuitive and straightforward. The tools are easily identifiable with clear and concise icons.

What do you dislike?

Unless I save in the native ODS file type, working with non-native file types can often cause errors or inconsistencies that could deformat or break the original document. Also, though the overall user interface is clean and easy to navigate, the design seems a bit old and not up to modern standards. In my opinion, Microsoft Office looks more current, sleek and appealing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think OpenOffice will allow most businesses to get by with their office document software needs. It's constantly being updated, so I'd recommend you download the latest version and continually update the software to ensure compatibility and security updates are current.

OpenOffice is has been a reliable office document tool that doesn't break the bank and is easy to use. I've been able to use OpenOffice to view a wide variety of text documents and spreadsheets sent from business associates. Since most of the documents I work with have simple and straightforward formatting, I can typically edit documents without many problems. OpenOffice also allows me to save files in a many different formats, so it's great to use for file conversions.

OpenOffice review by Thomas R.
Human Resources Manager

"Has just about everything I need for office documents"

What do you like best?

I like that OpenOffice has all the standard features I need to create, edit and view a wide variety of office documents. I have a version installed on my Mac and a PC, which helps to maintain an consistent working environment regardless of the platform I'm on. Using OpenOffice isn't difficult for most people, so many people I work with use OpenOffice or can support documents I create with it through other software like Microsoft Word, Excel or Google Docs. I also really like that many of the formulas in OpenOffice's spreadsheet application cross over seamlessly with other spreadsheet software.

What do you dislike?

The overall look and feel of OpenOffice seems a bit dated. Compared to some office document programs, like Google Docs, OpenOffice tends to be a bit clunky and can take a while to load. I feel that it's also more susceptible to crashing. When I open certain documents created in other software, the layout and formatting won't always appear exactly the same in OpenOffice, which can be problematic when trying to collaborate with others and achieve a very specific design to documents.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think OpenOffice can be used in any company that has regular office documents. It can create and load common text document, spreadsheet and presentation files very smoothly. I'd recommend using the native file format when editing. That should allow you to maximize the capabilities of OpenOffice and reduce your chances of errors. When you're ready to save the file, you can simply export a copy with a different file type.

OpenOffice provides me with all the necessary tools I need to view and edit text documents, spreadsheets and presentations for a wide array of business purposes. There are often new and updated versions that I can download to help ensure the software is secure and up to industry standards. Our office doesn't have to spend a great deal of money on expensive software that doesn't actually have much more capabilities than we need.

OpenOffice review by User

"Open Office. Tu Suite de oficina gratuita"

What do you like best?

Compite de tú a tú con el software ofimático de Microsoft, pero encima con todas las ventajas que supone ser un software open source y gratuito. Esto quiere decir que siempre está en fase de mejora, pues su código al ser abierto está disponible para cualquier usuario y siempre está mejorándose. También admite plugins o extensiones por parte de los usuarios que se instalan para obtener más funciones.

Encima puedes utilizarlo en tantos computadores como desees, mientras que office tienes que pagar una licencia de uso por cada equipo en el que lo instales.

La suite OpenOffice esta formada por:

- procesador de textos, hojas de cálculo, diapositivas para presentaciones, base de datos,software para diseño gráfico, editor de fórmulas matemáticas, exportación a PDF, soporte a Xforms, se integra fácilmente con el correo como Thunderbird.

Es totalmente multiplataforma: funciona sobre Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc.

La instalación completa ocupa menos espacio en disco que la Suite Ofimáticas de la competencia (700MB) y de RAM con 256 Mb es suficiente.

What do you dislike?

La velocidad de procesamiento general de OpenOffice, al editar y guardar documentos es algo más lenta que Office de Microsoft.

No es del todo compatible con los documentos generados por Microsoft Office, que suelen ser la mayoría en el mundo laboral, empresarial o del sector de la educación. En ocasiones puede llegar a colgarse cuando estamos modificando un documento realizado bajo M.Office, o bien que los márgenes, tablas, encabezados o pies de página se descoloquen.

La interfaz de usuario difiere lo suficiente de Microsoft Office como para necesitar una periodo de adaptación y aprendizaje cuando venga de la solución de Microsoft, pues aunque los iconos en la barra de herramientas suelen estar en la misma posición, la terminología empleada suele diferir.Los nuevos menús despistan a más de uno.

Al ser Open office un programa de código abierto mantenido por la comunidad de usuarios, el soporte y ayuda no es oficial y por tanto es algo informal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Instalatelo, o bien Libre Office, pero olvídate de Microsoft Office para tu empresa. Lo notarás en tu bolsillo.

Es multiplataforma, funciona en los ordenadores que tenemos con Linux en el aula sin tener que reiniciar el equipo para cambiar a windows.

Es gratis! Supone un ahorro en coste de las licencias que supondría tener en cada equipo instalado el paquete de Office.

Consume menos recursos que otros programas de la competencia, lo que nos permite tener una máquina más liviana y de mayor rendimiento para realizar más tareas en paralelo.

OpenOffice review by Hirsch S.
Senoir most accountant
Accounting
(Myself Only)

"Decent but no longer a top contender"

What do you like best?

Open Office does everything Microsoft Office does (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets and presentations), but it doesn’t carry the hefty price tag.

It is also fully compatible with Microsoft Office, and so can read any Microsoft Office document as well as export to any Microsoft Office format.

It has been around for a long time so is very stable.

There’s also a good range of plugins, so you can export to speciality formats. Many of these formats (such as PDF) are built right into Open office, so no extra plugins are required.

What do you dislike?

I have no criticisms. It does everything one could want for an offline package.. The interface seems a bit ugly looking, but that it is a minor criticism.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Back in the early 2000s, Open Office was amazing. It did everything that Microsoft Office did, but without the bloated price tag. It also seemed to be more stable and less prone to crashing than Microsoft Office, which is remarkable given the difference in price. Plus as it was open source, it had a better collection of plugins and add-ins compared to Microsoft Office. Users weren’t dependent on Microsoft to release a new feature. If there was enough demand, then a developer might release a new feature by themselves as a plugin. This was very handy, as in the 2000s there were several time saving plugins that were unique to Open Office.

Since then however the landscape has changed considerably and Google has released Google Docs, which does nearly everything that Microsoft Office and Open Office can do, but can also do far more such as being run from a browser and offers collaboration tools. (To be fair, it is possible to do these things with Open Office, but it is a bit complex to set up. With Google Docs everything is ready from the get go).

Therefore I would recommend that most people try out Google Docs first. Open Office makes a better alternative for people who don’t have online access when working on documents (e.g. because of traveling) or if they have a need for speciality feature which Google Docs does not support.

However, both Google Docs and Open Office are free and documents can be shared between them, so it is very easy to try both out and switch applications without any lock in.

In my for my firm, Open Office used to be the primary application for producing documents, spreadsheets and slideshows. It was useful as it was stable and feature rich.

Since then, however, I have switched to Google Docs. These days, I still occasionally use Open Office for the rare occasion when I need a feature that Google Docs is lacking. So the benefit is that it can do things that Google Docs can't.

OpenOffice review by Amy B.
Contributing Author
Writing and Editing

"Free, Comprehensive, And Efficient Program"

What do you like best?

Aside from being a free product, I like how comprehensive OpenOffice is. It offers a wide array of document-based tools I use for work. They're easy to use and just as good as MS Word or any paid alternative.

What do you dislike?

I've had two instances of losing unsaved work. The recovery process did not work. Fortunately, this has only happened twice in the 5+ years that I have used OpenOffice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want free software similar to MS Word, OpenOffice is an ideal alternative. It offers all of the same tools and it's very user-friendly.

I keep a monthly financial spreadsheet to track income and invoices from/for each client. I use the basic text document for client notes on projects. Both help with my overall organization and time management.

OpenOffice review by Jorge L.
Periodista autónomo y Abogado en libre ejercico
Internet

"OpenOffice the most efficient tool in the office and the best of our lives."

What do you like best?

It is the best tool that can be counted in the office, for the independent professional, students and anyone who develops texts, spreadsheets, presentations of projects, visualization of images and a large number of utilities.

The best of all is that this tool is open source and it is not necessary to buy a serial to enjoy all its benefits in the development of a project, personal, corporate, marketing, student or any type.

Best of all, I did not invest any money

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is not having known the benefits of OpenOffice before and having used it for a long time without having to resort to buying another software or package with the set of tools it has.

The benefits of using OpenOffice have no limit and it is incredible as a tool with so many benefits has not been made known to all people and thus help not to depend on the softwares we have used all our lives

Recommendations to others considering the product

The barriers must be transferred to achieve the objectives set efficiently and effectively. We should not be afraid to use new tools, Open Office exceeds all expectations in any work or project that we should develop. It's time for a paradigm shift, Open Office is that change.

Business presentations, educational presentations, documents, spreadsheets, graphics, pdf documents, image editing, image creation, among others.

OpenOffice review by Alberto B.

"Great and free Office Suite"

What do you like best?

It has everything that an office suite needs. Text editor, data sheet. Everything required can be done. Besides that it is free software, so anyone, at any time can download it and use it on your computer without many restrictions and totally free. Open Office is constantly updated, and developers and partners are taking out packages that can be installed to expand their functions, such as language packs.

What do you dislike?

It looks old compared to other office suites and if you dont save the file in the correct format it can lead to incompatibilites with other suites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend undoubtely openoffice, its basically the sime as other suites, its free and its very easy to start using it if you where a user of a different suite.

Saving money without losing any feature we need when working with any type of files(text, data sheets, presentations ... )

OpenOffice review by Patrick S.
Designers
Writing and Editing

"Best free office suite out there"

What do you like best?

OpenOffice best feature is not being free. OpenOffice can handle files of many extensions without changing the characters, values, images, font style or formulas. In fact, the fact of OpenOffice opens your files without changing is amazing, everytime you try to open a CSV or TSV on excel, it changes to XLS standards format, but OpenOffice stick with the original extension, which makes life easier when you are saving your big tables or slides.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be more elegant, still lot of small icons and few floating information on menus. It's hard to find some basic options because the menu is not centered, there are options on top and on the side. The fonts used in menu texts should be more smooth, more professional, because right now is a little bit crispy and look like and old computer software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it and give it a try. It's free, tons of updates and worth it if you need a fast writing and editing business suite in your life.

As I told before, OpenOffice is able to handle big tables in CSV of TSV format without changing it, the OpenOffice also opens is in tab separated mode and this is very satisfying.

OpenOffice review by Joe H.
Technical Application Specialist
Research
(10,001+ employees)

"Free and compatible"

What do you like best?

The greatest feature is its dollar cost to end users: nothing.

What do you dislike?

A zero dollar cost does not denote 'free': the price is that it has compatibility issues, particularly with formatting on DOCX files or macros in XLSX files. This has made it impossible for me to use for work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider your day to day tasks. If you are working with intercompany assets, questionnaires, or documents which require complete format accuracy, this has not historically been a reliable option. It has gotten much better. I was a user back in the StarOffice days, and its features have grown incredibly since then. However, each update seems to be implementing more compatibility for Office, and I find that when something is not compatible it is devastating.

If, however, you will use this solely within your own organization, this is a wonderful tool with fantastic community support.

It is a wonderful suite for small businesses that cannot afford the Microsoft license.

OpenOffice review by User in Internet

"A great free alternative to MS Office"

What do you like best?

I don't find the need to use Office products that much, since I am able to use cloud-based ones (like the ones available from Google). However, it seems that there is always a reason here and there to need an Office product of an equivalent. I've found Open Office to be helpful for this, especially since I can export to Office product file types.

What do you dislike?

When converting file types to Office file types, I've run into a few minor conversion errors (e.g. the last line of text getting cut off). This is the only item that stands out based on the amount I use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very similar in its interface to Microsoft Office and other similar programs. If you're looking for a no-cost option, it's worth checking out. Because you can export to Office file type extensions, you can still share documents with those that don't use OpenOffice.

Creating, editing, and exporting/sending word-processed documents.