NCR Aloha POS Reviews & Product Details

NCR Aloha POS Overview

What is NCR Aloha POS?

The NCR Aloha Platform is an end-to-end restaurant POS and management solution that enables restaurants to optimize on- and off-premise sales and operations, control variable costs of labor and inventory, streamline system administration and quickly adapt to fast-growing trends with an expanding list of APIs and partnerships. The NCR Aloha Platform has been built and refined over time by incredible minds pulled directly from the food service industry. We work hand-in-hand with our customers, industry veterans and some of the most recognized usability experts to ensure that those who use Aloha can learn the system quicker, do their jobs faster and make fewer mistakes than they could with any other system on the market. Used in thousands of restaurants all around the world, the NCR Aloha Platform is widely known for its reliability, usability and efficiency. With an all-in-one subscription model, its core capabilities include fixed and mobile POS, takeout, analytics, loyalty, digital ordering, payments and direct integration into leading third-party delivery marketplaces. Because each restaurant's business requirements are unique, users can also add advanced back office, consumer marketing, kitchen operations and/or digital signage capabilities and much more.

NCR Aloha POS Details
Catalan, Czech, Danish, German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified)

NCR Aloha POS gives operators all the tools they need to boost sales and increase the pace of service, With NCR Aloha POS you can enter orders and payments, streamline food preparation and delivery.

NCR Corporation
@NCRCorporation
35,029 employees on LinkedIn®

NCR Aloha POS Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the NCR Aloha POS community
Have you used NCR Aloha POS before?

NCR Aloha POS Reviews

Showing 170 NCR Aloha POS reviews
Already have NCR Aloha POS?
What do you like best?

The Aloha POS system is extremely user friendly. My servers are able to quickly add in orders and adjust them as necessary. The end of the day reporting functions have been accurate and simple to read. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The initial set up was extremely difficult. Several times technicians came but no equipment had arrive at the location yet. In addition to the slow set up, it's taken over 3 months to be given the owner access to review sales without being at the physical restaurant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared to watch hundreds of hours of Youtube training videos. There is no paper manual or even training on the intricacies of the Back of House system. You want to us the BOH system, it's extremely useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The previous POS system our restaurant used was old and clunky. In addition, each table had to walk to the register to pay their own ticket, the waitresses could not take care of that for them.

Aloha offers Up N Go, which is a barcode at the bottom of the receipt allowing guests to pay at their own convenience at their table. This has definitely increased our sales while allowing correct social distancing for COVID-19. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Restaurant Manager
What do you like best?

Very good overview in the dashboard - easy integration also for our take away system. Our employees appreciate the intuitive payment processing and the good backend for administration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some payment providers are listed in the reports only after a few days and therefore we have to pay attention to the correct accounting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The tool has been very easily integrated into our POS system. Thanks to the fast support we were able to adjust our offer exactly. The reports are very detailed and we can also integrate the stock management for food. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

The system is easy to navigate and the manual can answer most questions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Often run into issues that can't be solved without calling Support and Support is not always quick to respond. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Point of Sales tracking, Payroll record keeping, Scheduling accountability Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Coordinator/ Sales Admin
What do you like best?

What I like best about the Aloha POS system is the ease of use. It is able to be changed easily, and is usually good to go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about the Aloha POS system is that it will often go offline, which hinders work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend using Aloha- it makes the serving experience very nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems that we are soling by using Aloha include making the restaurant experience faster with food and drinks. The benefits are that it syncs up the entire restaurant so that everyone's on the same page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Aloha is pretty much the same wherever you go. Most restaurants use it, so if I go to another establishment, I won’t feel behind because I’ll already know their system. Aloha is very user friendly with how big and bright it is, and it’s not cluttered like other systems I’ve used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I’ve noticed that Aloha crashes more often than it should. I’m not sure if it’s the restaurant I’m working at’s fault, but I’ve seen it go down several times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to use. Employees will learn quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Aloha is easy to update too. It takes maybe 5 minutes to get all the information into it and maybe another 5 to refresh the entire system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Navigating Aloha is pretty easy, whether you’re taking an order at a terminal or checking sales/doing EOD office tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Crashes often. Frequent connectivity issues as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Aloha has made interactions with customers quicker and more pleasant, as cashiers are able to quickly move through screens when placing the order. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Aloha was a very clean and simple system. Easy to learn and operate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't remember specifically disliking a certain feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to submit food orders and manage seating arrangements for a restaurant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

I, thoroughly, enjoy the ease of use when working on the back end (Admin) side and also the employee facing side when completing orders for any of our guests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the limitations of creative that can be used when editing the screen flow and also when needing to implement different initiatives. It creates various challenges which become hard to train our employees to use properly and effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Understand what your business is wanting to do with the POS System and be sure it is what you company desires to have, and that it is a viable option for use in the future as technology is continuously evolving.

NCR Aloha POS system is heading in the right direction, and it offers multiple avenues of use which includes quick service, takeout, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving the flow of ordering process, the ability to edit our menu items, the ability to communicate to our kitchen for the make of the food items. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

US
What do you like best?

It was easy to operate and find different food items Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would freeze pretty often but ours might've just been slow Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Its a great way to keep track and discount customer orders Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Aloha has been awful for my business, and I believe the root source is NCR. The only thing that I like about it is that I have some familiarity with the system. Besides that, we keep encountering new problems with the software and the hardware. I've had 2 of my 6 brand new terminals replaced after they went bad and corrupted my whole system. It has not been good for business what so ever. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't stand NCR. Their customer service is dreadful. All service calls that I make during the operating hours of my restaurant are all outsourced over seas and it is very frustrating trying to work with them. The local office never follows up on any service calls that we submit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

All service calls are handled very poorly, and the local office has proven to be difficult for me and my management team to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Aloha has created more problems than it's solved. We are still having a hard time with programming months after we have opened. There seems to be a problem with NCR techs loading old backup points which erases all the programming that we are doing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from of NCR Aloha POS

Joseph,

Thank you so much for your review. I am very sorry you've had a bad experience with NCR. We'd love to hear more about this. Would you mind providing me with more information about your business so we can have someone contact you to see how we can resolve your issues?

thank you!

What do you like best?

Aloha is pretty user friendly for staff & like that I can add modifiers to help encourage up-selling. Usually get a helpful programmer when need help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Was frustrating to have our entire database copied from a location that has been open for almost 20 years. So it takes a really long time to reboot. Took a long time to work out all the errors & learn how to do all the programming. Not a computer person but I can usually figure things out. Really expensive for help desk calls so only reach out when absolutely necessary. Frustrating when get a programmer that doesn't know the answers to my questions & have to get charged extra while they figure it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Expensive & can be difficult to program without help Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Able to ring guests up quickly & start tabs if necessary. Clock in control helps keep employees from clocking in too early. Modifier menus help encourage staff to up-sell. Security controls help keep staff from discounting/comp'ing things they shouldn't have access to or refunding cash. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s easy to manipulate and customize for both the restaurant staff & management, as well as our IT department. Very rarely crashes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much to complain about, especially being on the User end of the computer for most of the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It’s very easy to teach employees to use because of how customizable it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Human Resources Positions
Food & Beverages
What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to navigate. It isn't so complicated to the point where it's hard to learn or teach and mostly everything I need is there. I can modify an order and even use different methods of payment to complete one check. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how every time we had a special going on at work for our POS, it was like pulling teeth to get it to be put on our register so we could actually have a customized button for whatever it was. Also, aloha could not get it's systems to work along side our licensed store's system, which was Starbucks, so no one could redeem free drinks even though we were a starbucks, because we were inside another store and that store used aloha. Also it took years for them to figure out how to hook up our scanners Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Find something that is more customizeable, more compatible with other platforms, and easier to use and navigate. I feel like aloha "gets the job done" and that's it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I guess the only problem we solve with aloha is the fact that we are able to ring people out for the products and goods they are buying otherwise we'd be cash only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing & Information Technology Manager
Food & Beverages
What do you like best?

Software that is designed for our business with everything we need. Anything we can think of that we would want is available in the software. From the back end to the front of house and all the cloud products we use it's very easy to use and works well for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am having trouble thinking of anything in the software. Our biggest challenge is the system not being chip card ready. I know it's in the works but I feel like as big as NCR is that it should have been available to us long before now and we are still waiting on it. We know in other areas of NCR chip card technology is available so it's hard to understand why it's so far behind in the table service hospatility enviroment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They're an A+ company and should meet your needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It basically runs our entire business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Front-of-the-house software is easy to learn and train new staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

All of the add ons for extremely expensive and antiquated. Website interaction with online ordering (menus) and gift cards are not easy to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Not worth the money!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At the end of the day, there are to many upcoming, tech driven POS systems at a fraction of the cost. Aloha/NCR service does not meet the high price tag. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Easy to use, updates are announced on a seperate section Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Seems to go down a lot, always issues with calibration Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ease of use be prepared for systems going down. Have a back up plan so you dont have to turn customers away. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy to ring up orders when its not javing issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Aloha is the most simplistic POS system I’ve used. It’s streamlined, so there is not a lot of unneeded steps to place orders Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I hate having to add waters for every entree, otherwise the ticket won’t send. It would also be nice to be able to easily change the color schy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It’s made the foh and boh communication more streamlined. It doesn’t crash very often either Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

As far as restaurant pos systems go, Aloha is probably one of (if not the) most reliable. It still crashes occasionally, but not like one place I worked (very briefly) where the computers crashed weekly...it was terrible! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

All systems have quirks, etc, but I can't think of any complaints right now...nothing stands out and irks me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Appreciate your time at the establishment that is using Aloha as not all restaurants have switched to this simple and effective system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Logistical production and distribution of the restaurants' food is the main process, but we also have our schedules there online now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Reliability, it has not gone down in years. Strong customer support from BEC of Denver since it was first installed. It is user friendly for servers and management. It increases speed of service. Communicates orders to the kitchen clearly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Adding new employees and new menu items is cumbersome and front of house has to be shut down to update. The upgrade to the BOH was not an improvement and is less intuitive to use.

Recently we have had to spend several thousand dollars for upgrades and replacement of hardware to be able to run newer versions of Aloha software to remain PCI compliant for credit card processing. The terminals are now proprietary, in years past we could replace a just the touch screen or processor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Aloha has served us very well for over two decades and I expect that to continue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our accounting service automatically polls sales and payroll data at the end of each day which eliminates data entry and increases accuracy.

What do you like best?

Aloha has Industry leading functionality and interfaces with most third party software. There is generally local support available, either through a dealer or independent contractors. Restaurant staff has probably used it before and is familiar with the functionality. Config Center is a great tool for managing menus Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Aloha was written 30 years ago and its heritage shows. An on-site server is required and data is stored in flat files in dated subdirectories. Updates are processed nightly and cannot be made in real time without rebooting the system. Off line credit card functionality is very cumbersome to implement.

Every tool is an add on and an additional cost which makes the solution very expensive. Traditional Windows POS is expensive to acquire and support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are probably better and less expensive solutions on the market for small operators. Aloha can be cumbersome to build and support but it remains one of the best options for large chains Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Solid POS functionality with good interfaces to online ordering and above store reporting tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

I appreciate all the plug ins and extras you can have that work with Aloha. They are one of the biggest so when you need something - i.e. virtual gift card , you have the ability to pick from different third party options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Enterprise is so intense. If you need a report you have to scan through hundreds of them to get what you need. At this point I've started using the data exports for everything. I don't like how you are forced to use a reseller based on your territory. If our reseller isn't living up to our needs we would like to be able to get someone who can help. You would also think with Aloha being the biggest POS the simple restaurant industry specific needs would be easy to obtain. i.e. making sure payroll reports use the correct overtime rates, being able to do tips on checks without manual manipulation of reports etc Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider what your big picture is. Make sure you set up your database with thoughts of the future even if you don't know what that future exactly is yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They plug in with our payroll company and our outsourced accounting company. So we don't have to send files these companies can directly access our data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

I like how detailed some of the reports are and what you are able to do with the system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I HATE that we cant customize any reports and that when we need anything we have to start at level 1, who 99.9% of the time know less that I do about the Aloha system at this point and almost always have to escalate me to level 2. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Aloha in my opinion feels like they are the biggest player in the game, therefore they can slack on customer service and customization. We were told we could get 15 years out of our system and had to upgrade after 8. They have no solution for pay at the table with EMV as of now, and players like Oracle have already started releasing products of this magnitude. They also continue to blame our credit card processor for that, while the credit card processor says the same thing about Aloha. A lot of blame game and no answers are what we get most of the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using the Pulse app which has helped us figure out table turns and be much more conscious of voids and comps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

When the system is working, it works pretty flawlessly. It's all hardwired and time-tested which makes it largely VERY reliable and not as susceptible to internet outages or other random technical glitches that other, newer, POS systems have struggled with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Gods help you if you're ever in a position of needing assistance, technical or otherwise, from this company. If you don't have a service contract, costing you thousands of dollars a year, the willingness of this company to lift a finger for you is near zero. Even with a five-star service contract (again, thousands of dollars every year) you will be doing the lions share of the troubleshooting on your own while someone on the other end of the phone does their best to turn you into a professional IT person instantaneously. Given the number of little patchy upgrades they've implemented over the past couple years, it's pretty guaranteed the person your'e on the phone with will not be particularly familiar with your system and, more or less, unable to provide you with all the help you need. If you ever need technical help from them, saddle up; it's going to be a long and bumpy ride. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I had an initial glimmer of hope when NCR bought Aloha. They seemed willing to pour resources into the system and a genuine interest in customer service. That lasted for a few months. If switching POS systems didn't mean incurring tremendous cost in an already-established business I would have done so years ago. In ten years I have known exactly two reps and one technical person who seemed capable and wonderful. I strongly encourage you to consider another POS system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I guess we're solving an efficiency issue with tickets being able to go in quickly and consistently regardless of the person entering the order. That's helpful. Those benefits seem as dated as aloha itself in the age of tablet-based POS systems which are becoming more reliable and cheaper every year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Aloha has the advantage of a diverse community of users and decades of product development. As a result, their feature list is deep making it highly capable of meeting the needs of its users, and then some. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be wonderful if all system updates could take place in real-time, without the need to restart the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like most things in life, you'll get out of it what you put into it. Take an active interest in learning how to use it, and your time will be rewarded with increased profitability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The proper implementation of Aloha has enabled us to have consistency in all aspects of our business. From pricing, to order flow, to labor tracking, and the managing of our events business, there is very little about our operations that Aloha, in one way or another, doesn't provide an impact. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

POS users seem to like it's versatility and the familiarity, since it is so widely used at other companies as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It takes too long to get help with issues. Also, it seems as though many of the techs are fishing for the root cause when they really don't know what could be causing the issue in the first place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Know upfront that NCR will over promise and under deliver. More than anything, customer service is not their strong suite,. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All restaurant companies need some sort of POS system to communicate orders to the kitchen. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.