FreeAgent Reviews & Product Details

FreeAgent Overview

What is FreeAgent?

FreeAgent is a multi-award winning online accounting software designed specifically to meet the needs of small businesses, freelancers and their accountants. FreeAgent helps businesses take care of their day-to-day admin, from managing expenses and running fully RTI-compliant payroll to creating and sending professional-looking estimates and invoices. It also allows businesses to keep track of their cash flow and profitability, showing who owes them money - and how much!. FreeAgent also has a personalised ‘Tax Timeline’ of upcoming deadlines and amounts due, as well as the functionality to easily file VAT, RTI payroll and - for sole traders and limited company directors - Self Assessment tax returns directly to HMRC. Around 100,000 customers currently use FreeAgent to manage their business accounts simply, with no confusing accounting jargon and with a team of friendly support accountants on hand to help them stay on track.

FreeAgent Details

Cloud accounting designed to meet the needs of small businesses, freelancers and their accountants.

Freeagent
2007
N/A

FreeAgent Reviews

Showing 26 FreeAgent reviews
Already have FreeAgent?
Director de marketing
What do you like best?

It has been a great help to me to improve the control of my company's finances, previously we keep a record of income and expenses manually, but now thanks to FreeAgent we have been able to automate it and take it digitally, now it is no longer necessary that I go to my accountant with a great variety of papers, folders and invoices since I only have to carry the report that he issues by hand and with that my accountant can work, in addition to its interface is quite simple to use, I do not have to scrutinizing throughout the system to see which option I should click to perform my operations since its interface is very intuitive which is very useful for billing processes, it has an Android application which is quite practical when I have to make a change or register a new expense and I am not in the office at that time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Its scope is limited, this tool is designed for small companies, so wanting to apply it in a medium or large company may not currently be possible since it would fall short in terms of performance Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been using it to help automate the administrative processes that are carried out in the administration department, since previously we carried everything manually, but we realized that that way resources were not being optimized, so we thought that perhaps it would be a good option to digitize all the existing information to start carrying out both a digital file and a better control of the company's finances in general. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Specialist Candidate Consultant (CertRP)
What do you like best?

FreeAgent is a multi-purpose application to help me in various fields of business. It's dealing with accounting and finance is marvelous and I can feel the difference while operating it with my system. The application is affordable with every type of set up. I can feel worry-free while dealing with tax installation and billing and accounting details. Everything is clear and under control while comprehending with time tracking tool and multiple webinar services. This awesome application never let me down in making them strong and solid security within the organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There should be some individuality in maintaining its features and it should be implemented on all groups while this application is not compatible with all windows operating systems and this issue must be resolved to get the benefits of this program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FreeAgent is an amazing application to help us in assessing the worker's compatibility and their working hours to choose the best suitable wages for them. So, once we put the data in this application it allocates the payroll and billing details itself. It’s never hard to control accounting and send the data to the department. Everything is easy and comprehensive to provide us the full support about finance. The application is very elegant in dealing with clients and helps us to promote our business with great dealings. Its availability for 24-hours makes them release the importance of the client-consumer relationship. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

TAX calculation - invoicing, automatic emailing to customers, adding customers, and auto invoicing them, managing expenses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I can't close an invoice unpaid directly and I need to create some credit notes and I can't manage it on freelancer / company account at all Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Invoicing, tax, accountancy, almost everything bookkeeping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Very easy to use for everyone in the company. Allows us to produce professional looking quotes and invoices and keep track of all bank accounts and transactions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Limited opportunities to customise. We allocate most costs to individual projects and it's quite slow to apply this to the bank transactions since the project selection for each transaction is hidden under 'More options'. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of company finances, quoting and invoicing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

FreeAgent is a great tool for freelancers, since it makes filing taxes simple and fast. It has great features including project tracking, time tracking, invoice reminders, estimate function and a dashboard to see business performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Whilst FreeAgent is an all round great accounting solution, the user interface needs work to compete with the likes of Quickbooks and Wave - both of which have an intuitive UI. The other feature which could be improved is the transaction explanations - not loading a separate page, rather a drop down in the banking feed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chasing invoices is a lot easier as it’s automatic. You can choose your own reminder sequence for each client. It also allows payments via Stripe, meaning faster payments! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

Everything is explained in plain terms — they have a great knowledge base so you don't need any prior accounting knowledge. You can always reach someone at FreeAgent to help, and they actually listen to your needs and suggestions. I've previously asked if a feature exists, only to have them implement it in the next update just a few weeks later. It's a full solution with the ability to manage clients, project and send invoices as well as keep on top of expenses and taxes. They also partner with a lot of banks to feed transactions into the software, which make explaining transactions really fast and simple. You can also upload bank statements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I don't like. The price is perhaps slightly higher than some comparable software, but it's worth it. It took a while for them to integrate with mobile banks, but now those feeds are working fine. The UI could do with a visual refresh, but it's perfectly functional. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try FreeAgent out, you can get money off through referral codes, e.g. 48izfkia Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it for all my bookkeeping so I don't need to keep receipts around or manually record transactions. It will also be used for automatically sending my self assessment, so I won't even need to deal with HMRC. I also use it to send automated billing emails to clients which saves admin time and awkwardness of chasing payments! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

We've been using FreeAgent for the last 4 or so years. It is really easy to use and the interface is very clear. The connection with you bank account makes reconciliation so easy and you can invoice or re-bill clients instantly.

We are also able to send statements and easily see what clients owe which has been great for those late payers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We know from our accountant that while its great for us users, the interface is not so great for them. We have also found it has disconnected from our bank account a few times, but this was easily rectified. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can easily invoice clients, re-bill time and expenses and reconcile our bank accounts. We have saved so much time and money but using this software. We no longer have to manually enter expenses and transactions and it means out employed can also log their own expenses and time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Counter
What do you like best?

FreeAgent is a full-featured billing and accounting web application, it also comes with a small mobile application. It has a really clear and easy to use interface, which facilitates the navigation and the production of invoices, the verification of your accounts for the selected periods, the monitoring of your time, the management of projects, etc. Live bank sources, easy to use, perfect for billing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with efficiency. It is always a pleasure to use a free agent, it is very fun to use! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

FreeAgent is very clumsy and clumsy to use. It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not worth using for free. There are several essential basic functions missing and it is very restrictive / prescriptive that forces you to work your way or not. FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then does not allow you to fix them. Sometimes discovering how to find something or alter a document is not intuitive, and I had to check the website for help, which has always been useful (until now). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Time saving, professional appearance for customers, cloud-based, quick and easy to learn. It is exceptionally easy to use and easy to learn. It is easy to "undo" if you make a mistake on an invoice. Basically, there is nothing that can not be undone by going back to the draft. The recurring invoice tool is really useful. They facilitate the labeling of banking transactions, as long as I remember to do it once a month, all my accounting reports are always updated. I do not have to spend too much time on accounting and I really do not have any complaints. I recommend this software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was introduced to FreeAgent years ago. It has transformed our business from the uncomfortable spreadsheet accounts and Word invoices to a really convenient and efficient system. As a professional, it is very important to monitor income and expenses, bill and look for bills and record expenses with my phone. Add to that the easy filing of my tax return and it really is a great piece of software. FreeAgent is one of those programs that integrates all kinds of difficult tasks into a single multipurpose product. We use it specifically for payroll, billing and accounting, and find that the integrated approach saves time and helps us to quickly track down accounting errors and oversights. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of setup and its ease of use.

I used to spend around 2-3 hrs each weekend handling my company accounts.

I now do it in minutes.

Its an excellent piece of software Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike - I would like if it could handle end of year accounts but that's just a nice to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to simplify your company accounts then this is a fantastic choice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use this to simply my company accounts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

The search function is very powerful

Bank reconciliation straight forward Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The automated banking reconciliation can make GL and VAT posting mistakes when automatically processing transactions. Which you have to be caerful to check Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Bank Reconciliation and BookKeeping in small business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The seamless connectivity it has to bank accounts and the ability to file tax returns Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Invoice design could be a little better and more modern Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best accounting app for freelancers and small businesses! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Not missing out on important tax return dates as FreeAgent reminds me of them. Also not having to pay an expensive accountant! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director
What do you like best?

Where do I start. I think the very best part is the easiest way to reconcile the accounts by importing bank transactions overnight and ensuring everything matches up. That way you can't miss anything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would love there to be the ability to handle weekly payroll. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At last I feel more control over our finances which makes for a less stressful working day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Utilities Customer Service Representative
Professional Training & Coaching
What do you like best?

I like working with FreeAgent because it provides great book-keeping options. The UI is clear and intuitive. It allows me to add expenses through mobile App and users can input expenses whenever they want.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that I have to download manually and then upload bank statement again so I can categorize them.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

great software you must try it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can access it from any device and input my expenses in real time, I am able to track other’s expenses and the invoicing is simple! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

This product has made running my business do much easier.It takes a little getting used to but once grappled it’s a breeze! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

More template options would be good and the ability to put terms and conditions into the back of a invoice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
Management Consulting
What do you like best?

It's great to have all my accounting in one place and not to have to worry about spreadsheet errors / locking cells. It's also hugely helpful to understand what my tax liabilities are at any given point, and have this automatically update as I log expenses / new income comes in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The discount for the first year makes it a no-brainer when you're starting out but it does become a little steep after that, especially if you are using an accountant who will probably have their own software as part of their offering.

The time reporting feature was useful initially to instil a culture of good practice but we have had to move on to something more sophisticated - FreeAgent does not allow you to total individual elements of a project, only daily and weekly hours. There is also limited functionality with Zapier so getting information out of FreeAgent to other tools is not as smooth as we would have liked. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Explore some of the other features beyond book keeping - it also can help with basic project management tasks eg time keeping reports. It's worth setting up standardised categories from the outset though, as otherwise it can become a bit chaotic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FreeAgent helps me to keep on top of my book keeping and it's really useful to know what my tax liabilities are at any given point. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Makes reporting year ends, financials a lot easier Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Limited integrations (the triggers/actions in zapier are very limited). Doesn't enable the most useful parts of invoice or finance management automation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a freelancer, then freeagent is likely to be perfect for your financial/accounting needs. If you're a small business, it depends on your situation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Invoicing, used to be time tracking (but toggl is far better) financial reporting, financial management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder & CEO
What do you like best?

The bank feed automatically pulls in bank transactions and categorises them with surprisingly good accuracy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sending and following up on invoices could be a better user experience Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving time doing the books Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & CEO
Internet
What do you like best?

It's much easier to use than legacy CRMs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No real-dislikes. Every time we encounter a small challenge their team provides support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FreeAgent gives our management team amazing insight from a high level, and our sales team advanced tools to maximize their time and productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
Management Consulting
What do you like best?

As a freelance consultant, I am always paying for business expenses out of my own pocket, then having to get reimbursed by my company. FreeAgent has made this SO simple. I love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It took me a while to learn the different categories for expenses but once I got the hang of it I was ok. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Top notch real-person support and great help resource library available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to see at a glance if I am making a profit. Previously I was spending way too much without enough coming in. I am now also able to see the cyclical nature of my income and spending and make longer-term plans to compensate for lulls. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Departamento de Administración
E-Learning
What do you like best?

Interaction in Banking and the management of invoices and budgets Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Expires very quickly the session. I wish I could get more flexible financial reports Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy and simple tool to control company numbers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Control all invoicing in this tool. It makes my job a lot easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Up-to-date view on current tax position, easily create and send invoices based on templates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't create bills in foreign currency or have multiple contacts per company Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Nothing to use by going with the free trial! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saves having to juggle spreadsheets and also allows my accountant direct access to my books. Means lower accountancy fees and a much better of my day-today finances. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Front end developer
What do you like best?

The ability to quickly add times to a project, the way that it remembers clients / tasks which makes updating time sheets less mundane if working on the same project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

For some reason the site never remembers my login details and I'm asked to sign in a lot. I also find it slightly confusing sometimes to know what day I'm filling out information for - I feel this could be improved Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accurately tracking time for projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal
Internet
What do you like best?

FreeAgent is an above average book keeping solution, good for very small businesses. The interface is simple and intuitive and nothing is glaringly missing from the software. The best feature is the ability to add expenses via a mobile app, allowing users to input expenses in almost real time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The product seems to be made for a UK user base. There are many mentions in the documentation and on the interface to things that a US audience would be unfamiliar with. Also, the mobile app is a bit lacking in functionality. Also, integration with smaller banks is hit or miss. Having to manually download and upload bank statements, then categorize them can be a pain every month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an excellent tool for online book keeping for a small or medium sized business. It is simple to use and easy to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

FreeAgent has made book keeping very simple and intuitive. I love that we can access it from anywhere and input our expenses essentially in real-time. Invoicing is very easy and keeping track of other users' expenses is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Manager
Accounting
What do you like best?

FreeAgent brands itself as for freelancers and small businesses, but in reality it is only appropriate for one man bands at best. For those people FreeAgent is a do it all product that while not excelling at anything, can quite aptly do many things quite well for a reasonable price. It has it all covered from invoicing, bank feeds, expenses, payroll, tax estimation, profit and loss, VAT to online filing of self assessment tax returns. Features wise, it's very good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

General user experience is very awkward, it just simply doesn't work as well as many of it's competitors (Xero, Kashflow, Quickbooks Online etc). It strikes me that the very basic of it's double entry & how the data interacts with itself is just build wrongly from the ground up, you can't do basic things such as adding a credit note for part of an invoice (instead it must be written off as a bad debt, even if it isn't). Doing certain things feels like wading through very difficult treacle, things that are done very easily on it's competitors platforms.

Aside from that, the integrations are quite limited, but that isn't surprising considering how it positions itself in the market is in direct competition to anyone who places them self as a cloud integration specialist who can help with this kind of thing. That is a feature which severely limits itself as any kind of long-term growing business solution.

For full disclosure, I'm an accountant by trade and FreeAgent is positioning itself to be the software that removes businesses from needing one, but which will result in business paying more tax, doing things wrongly and not managing themselves properly. I therefore fundamentally disagree with FreeAgent's course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

What are your long-term ambitions for the business? If you are a small one man band who sends out a few adhoc invoices a month, has to manage VAT and already knows how the tax system works inside out, then consider FreeAgent. If not then there's more powerful tools out there, which can also be cheaper (in particular see Xero or Quickbooks Online). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As compared to excel, you are getting a piece of software that removes the need for duplication, helps you do finance stuff more quickly and correctly, and helps with your invoicing. Only recommended for the most basic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder and Chief Instigator
Management Consulting
What do you like best?

Relatively simple to set up and opearate. In- app help is good, community base and support team also excel. Dropbox integration is good. Also has APIs which allow mobile apps or cashflow tools such as float. These in turn attach to 3rd party services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When you expand your company you hit the limits. Preparing tax eg. P60s has to be done by an accountant on the back end. Does not allow integration with sales forecasting or CRM tools which is limiting - you have to manage pipeline in separate apps and then pull in new clients to Free agent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save yourself lots of time if you are a one man band. If you want to grow your enterprise to 20 people then think of something like Zoho. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being in the same system for expenses, time tracking, invocing, taxation etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for FreeAgent?

FreeAgent Categories on G2