Evoq Content Reviews & Product Details

Evoq Content Overview

What is Evoq Content?

Evoq is a Content Management System (CMS) with powerful features, including page management, workflow, granular permissions, localization, caching and search. We have an Open API (Application Programming Interface) that customers have used to extend the functionality of their sites via custom-developed modules. We also manage the DNN Store (http://store.dnnsoftware.com), which provides hundreds of commercially available (and supported) modules from third-party vendors. If you need to a feature on your site, look first to the DNN Store before building it yourself.

Evoq Content Details
German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish

DNN's commercially licensed Content Management System (CMS)

We provide a quick "time to use" and "time to value" - far faster than the competition. Our intuitive user experience makes it easier for business users to create, manage and organization content. We have a better user experience than any other .NET CMS on the market.

In addition, our DNN Store provides hundreds of commercially available software modules that you can use to extend the functionality of your sites.

In addition, we enable you to build truly interactive websites via our integrated online community solution. In other words, your website and your customer community can reside on a single site.

SLI Systems
2014
Austin, TX
@Crossover4Work
1,167 employees on LinkedIn®

Evoq Content Screenshots

Evoq Content Reviews

Showing 39 Evoq Content reviews
Already have Evoq Content?
AI
What do you like best?

Evoq Content (DNN as its known by for its open-source counterpart that it is based off of) is a very powerful open sourced CMS solution for anyone that is familiar with the .NET stack. Extending the framework through modules is straight forward, skin creation is relatively easy and aided through the use of skin objects, and a healthy user community base to reach out to for guidance or support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Evoq has been becoming slightly more bloated over the years, and uses a lot of system resources on the server side even when idle. It can also be very chatty with the database. The development team has been working as of late to improve the performance and hogging of resources though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

From brochure sites to advanced Web 2.0 applications, we have utilized Evoq from every end of the spectrum and its been able to handle everything we've thrown at it so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. The interface looks good. Building skins is very easy. We are able to host an unlimited amount of portals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lots of bugs are constantly discovered and added to the product through upgrades. We have used it for many years and have never had a bug free experience. Features are often broken or not working correctly in every update. Their tech support is very responsive though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test it out and make sure it does what you need. If you have lots of users or potentially the need for several ports/website this is a good solution. Backup your site during upgrades and so testing each upgrade before and after. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We provide website content management to a University environment. We host 100's of websites inside of our instance of Evoq. The benefit is having one central managed CMS for all our users. We are able to train them in one system which is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

The support that the online community and Microsoft offers is good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Getting the site up and running, and then learning the back end interface is not as easy as other CMS systems such as Wordpress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use professional developers who know what they're doing to help you onboard and learn the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Like all CMS systems, they solve the problem of allowing web edits to be done by a person with little to no coding skill. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Other than the fact that it is a CMS, there isn't much to like. It is just better than hand-coding.

I suppose because you can add and edit content using their rich-text window, that's something to like. But when you compare it to other CMSs on the market vs the price, that rich-text entry and edit is just a barrier to entry in this segment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is very hard to use, and features and capability are always behind the CMS pack, let alone the user interface. It is hard so say what I dislike the most because I dislike almost all of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't bother with this software unless you have lots of money, like a hard-to-use interface, features that are behind open-source CMS and other paid CMS applications, and want to pay high prices for developers which are very hard to find. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is the CMS platform for one of the web sites I manage, inherited from the previous manager. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

The user interface and UX as a whole is easy to use, even from a beginner's level Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features have long loading times and require a lot of clicks to get to, but overall does not affect the experience much Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing business websites. Some of the benefits are being able to edit, add, and remove content on demand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AG
What do you like best?

I like the simplicity the best because it makes it incredibly easy to upgrade content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the simplicity just as much if not more than I dislike it. The way it is set up does not allow for the use of certain modules that are not approved by their network. It also does not like to always save your work when you finish. Also, when copying and pasting from a word document into the website, it completely messes up the formatting making one go back and spend more time reformatting the text. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows for the easier finding and use of our site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director - Customer Experience & Results, Co Founder
What do you like best?

1. Very modularized. Easy to build modules and deploy.

2. Most of enterprise CMS features are already built in.

3. Good for Dotnet based companies Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. Very hardware intensive.. does not work on most of the SHared hosting. Requires VPS hosting. Minimum startup RAM is 1500MB.

2. Steep learning curve

3. Would have been great if the text editor was more powerful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

1. If you are looking for an opensource Dotnet based CMS, this is the software for you! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1. Intranet sites

2. Extranet sites

3. Multitenant websites

4. Since it is a CMS, our customers themselves can maintain their content thus reducing the expenses and time to take an information live. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multimedia Special Projects Coordinator
Hospitality
What do you like best?

Easy to switch to source code editor. Editor UI makes sense and is easy to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Templates and modules can be cumbersome to work with, compared to other CMS. WYSIWYG editor is finicky. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take time to weigh the pros and cons of using Evoq Content versus Wordpress. Setup and maintenance is not as intuitive as other CMS options. Themes, plugins, and other add-ons can incur a significant cost compared to other CMS options. The developer community surrounding Evoq Content is not as large as other CMS options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Collaboration across business sections is easily achieved with Evoq Content. This is not a unique feature, however. There are other, more robust options for content management. After several months using Evoq Content, it is apparent that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Software Engineer Technical Lead
What do you like best?

1) The ease with which I can make a custom type. I was previously making modules using Christoc, which was fine, but now I specify a content type and make it instantly in the cloud.

2) This is a truly headless CMS, though using it as such takes a bit of setup. By making API calls, I will be able to skip making visualizers and keep my content completely separate from having to make pages.

3) For when I do need to make pages, the visualizers are a nifty way of showing this content - they are using the Shopify Liquid Content templating system which is a fully featured (if at times slightly odd) templating engine.

4) The DNN support is amazing, so different from other CMS' I have used in the past. I have bothered these poor people with so many questions and they have always been great.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

These dislikes are temporary, solved by the product maturing to the stage where they allow unwashed peasants like myself into their content by direct API call.

1) Cost of being bleeding edge, I do not have an API key so I cannot use the EVOQ content without a visualizer right now. That ability drops with the 9.1.1 release, due out this week.

2) No inherent way to import content out of the gate. They have an import export tool coming but because of timing I will have to whip up something myself. When I get the key they have an example made with excel that I can use.

3) Minor gripe. I want objects to be able to reference themselves. As an example, if I was building a menu, I do not want a content type for level 1 another for level 2 etc - I want a content type menu-item which can have children of itself. Then I can easily build a menu. As I say, minor gripe but it has made me use the old DDRMenu module instead because I don't want a splattering of Content types for different menu levels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While I am still in the implementation phase, I am super excited for what this offers. One of AEM's newest boasts is that you can use it headlessly - and I think their methodology is kludgy. Sitecore you would have to make all the services yourself, last time I did so I had to do it using SOAP, blurgh.

EVOQ is built to be used this way, it is clean, quick and stores everything in the cloud. Very Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are making a new Angular4 site so I will be using a microservice to pull pure data by url. I can then package it up as json objects, which it needs.

To see some of the things this makes possible, go look at what dnn people are doing internally with it http://www.builtwithdnn.com/ ... tantalizing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Administrator
Retail
What do you like best?

note: the likelihood of recommendation is dependent upon the size of the environment in question. I have a "leaning" towards DNN being more applicable to smaller, one node(web head), environments. A very capable content management system for smaller environments, for sure.

It's quite easy to manage modules and specific page content. I have to admit, from a systems administrative perspective, I do not manage the content as other departments do, however. I deploy code through DNN and perform basic operations through the DNN portal, in conjunction with deployments, but our marketing team is much more involved in day-to-day management of the DNN content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

From my perspective and past experience, DNN management of a web farm of IIS servers is, to put it simply, a bit buggy. We have had, and still do have, consistent issues with having massive syncing between web heads after making small changes on the DNN portal. These result in negative customer experiences. To DNN supports credit, we have worked quite extensively on this issue, and I need to pick that case up again, as I set it aside some time ago to move onto other "fires". Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dynamic/constantly changing web content. Our marketing team is able to update the site at will, will only small quirks here and there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Systems Manager
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Our editors range from seasoned programmers to people editing a web page for the first time. Evoq Content gives the editors a straight-forward, simple approach to managing content. The learning curve for the CMS is relatively low. Ease-of-use for the average editor does not come with a trade-off of being weak for the IT team. In short, it is the CMS sweet spot of capabilities and ease of use. When a customization is needed, our IT team is able to implement changes easily to meet our business needs. Our marketing team continues to leverage the built-in tools that are continually expanding.

Finally, our IT team, which is small and kept busy, leverages the Enterprise service to get results as efficiently as possible. The DNN team has been very responsive to suggestions, debugging, and advice. When you are a solo administrator, you will benefit from their expert knowledge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In DNN Evoq Content 8, the Page Settings URL Management tool is not as resilient as it should be. On several occasions, editors have accidentally created redirect loops. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After you decide to use DNN, the Enterprise service was extremely helpful to getting us up and running. Forums are improving, but being able to address specific issues we encountered within our internal environment was extremely helpful. The Annual Summit meetings are also a great place to learn a lot about the CMS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our site is used for external marketing as well as internal communications, Ease-of-use is priority #1 (for the developers and the editors). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CIO
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

As a developer the feature that I like best is the ability to extend the core functionality through the development of custom modules. I have always thought of DNN as much more than a CMS but rather a full web application framework. I also have to mention that I have had nothing but excellent support provided by DNN support - they go above and beyond on a regular basis. And of course, you can't speak about DNN without mentioning the DNN community. The DNN community has traditionally been an incredibly valuable resource regardless if you are just starting out or are a seasoned developer - there's always support to be had from the general community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about the platform. Since this is a required answer I would say it is always a struggle to optimize site performance so I would like to see some improvements in eliminating render blocking core javascript and css files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Download trial, watch a few inro videos and test it out for yourself. Also, contact the general DNN community through various online forums to see how supportive the community is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Evoq Content has provides an efficient and flexible platform for managing and publishing content. Our marketing team love the ease at which dynamic content can be published on a regular basis as well as the ease at which static content can be updated when necessary. However, the flexibility in extending the platform, either through the utilization of commercial modules or the development of custom ones, has provided us the biggest benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Technology Officer
Education Management
What do you like best?

Evoq is a great one stop CMS for education. The interface is user friendly and even the technical novice can add content quickly. Should an issue arise, Evoq's support team is one of the best in the industry. They are quick, courteous, and responsive. I would highly recommend Evoq if you entity is looking for a efficient and affordable CMS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The one feature I do not like of the Evoq Content is the Content Manager flyout. If you want to give a user permission to add a new page to the website, you have to give the user full Content Manager rights. This issue is being resolved in version 9.0. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The biggest benefit of Evoq Content is ease of use. For a school district that does not want to have a single point of contact updating all school sites, the ease of use to be able to distribute responsibility is a big plus. And, if you have an in house development team, the software can be further customized to meet any of your needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

The support staff is what I like best. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. They respond very quickly. Not once have I had an issue that was DNN related that they couldn't fix.

I administrate our site. For the most part everything is very smooth and I don't have to do much. I spend a lot of time working on the server itself, very little time is spent on DNN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Once you get upgraded the product is stable. However, the process of upgrading can be problematic at times. There have been times during an upgrade where things break. The good thing is the DNN support staff can usually figure out the problem quickly and fix the issue.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This does not really have to do with the DNN product itself but it is something to consider. The following is not true of all third party modules.

When using third party modules be weary. Chances are good you will have problems with them. These modules can cause problems with the DNN software too. On occasion I have run into issues with the third party module's support people not helping fix a problem their module caused. The other issue with the third party modules is the company that develops them will at times just stop development on them so you become reliant upon their module and then it becomes outdated or no longer useable. There have been times that the third party module becomes open source. I have never had any luck with open source modules. So with the thrid party modules when they break you may end up scrambling to find something else to replace them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have constant need of changing the content. We are constantly adding new content, editing content or deleting old content. We are constantly changing things. DNN makes all of this easy.

AI
What do you like best?

DotNetNuke's Evoq Content 9.0 is a major upgrade from previous DNN verisions, bringing life to an aging CMS. A combination of excellent customer support, extensive yet adaptable module marketplace and user friendly solution interface enables users of various personas/roles to easily visualize, adapt and implement content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cost Basis, "Liquid" content needs to be streamlined a little more, More base skins would be nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Content Management, Website Analytics, Digital Asset Management, Marketing and centralizing a business's programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AN
What do you like best?

Support is very responsive and knowledgeable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Installation and upgrade process seems a little to complicated compared to other content management systems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fluid/Responsive content and better options for layout. We hope to take advantage of the analytics dashboard as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior .Net Developer
What do you like best?

1- The method of module development for customizing cms modules and create new modules for add new features to cms.

2- The user experience of management ui and simplicity in working with it.

3- The open source of core platform.

4- Support of develop customizable themes.

5- The module development through great Visual Studio IDE Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1- Lack of training materials for module development provided by dnn or third party communities.

2- Need heavy physical resources. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DNN Evoq give great built in tools for create any type of portal with simplicity if administrate and customize them through module development and large number of people in community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Integrated portal contain some modules like blog, ask and answer questions, articles, security, profile, social activities and more .... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Dennis Shiao ✍️ of Evoq Content

Thanks for the review, Anas. Regarding your comment about documentation: earlier in 2016, we launched the DNN Documentation Center, a central documentation source for DNN administrators, developers, designers and content managers. You can find it here: http://www.dnnsoftware.com/docs/. Have a visit and let us know what you think - thanks!

AE
What do you like best?

A large amount of support from the community and company. The built in tools sets for authentication, workflow, and change management, were easily integrated with our existing systems. Providing our business units with the ability to make changes in an intuitive web interface increases the speed to market or our new DME products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We we're initially limited to SPA module development and we're unable to leverage our in house MVC .NET programmers. Then the DNN 8.4.1 update allowed us to integrate our MVC Modules for our National Location finder and custom reorder forms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the DNN blogs and document repositories to find the answer to just about any DNN question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have 20+ DBA subsidiary companies that each requires it own brand and marketing platform. DNN/EVOQ allows us to manage the content in one location and provide access for the individual organizations to complete their own updates. We can maintain a separate look and feel for all our companies and still share common content across multiple sites. We have experienced an increase satisfaction in our individual business managers and an increase in overall customer satisfaction. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Titolare
What do you like best?

Complete customization, adaptable module integrations, datadriven solutions.

I've never found a kind of problem that I cannot implement in DNN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Few "beautyfull" marketing-ready themes. And quite expensive themes in the marketplace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a perfect application framework to bridge CMS and datadriven requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem was finding a complete fullstack solution framework to adopt in my agency to deploy any kind of marketing/business solutions to my clients.

DNN is a perfect, powerfull, completly adaptable tool for rapid devolpment any kind of project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

I like the built in ability to extend the DNN core. It makes integrating custom development pieces much easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some pieces that could use some improvement. The standard search is not the greatest, but the ability to integrate 3rd party search options really helps fill in the voids that the core lacks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend giving DNN Evoq a serious consideration for your business needs. The flexibility and security that come with the DNN Platform are unmatched by any other CMS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a developer, I work with many different business problems for different companies. DNN has been able to accommodate all business problems that I have crossed thus far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager Digital Marketing
Higher Education
What do you like best?

The DNN Evoq platform has empowered our marketing team to provide agile, real-time, content rich information through our website. This gives us the enviable ability to quickly identify a market need, build, and go live - all without the need for any additional technical support. This flexibility is a complete game-changer! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We've not yet had the chance to install the latest update, so it would be unfair to some note some smaller details around the user interface. From what I've seen in the demo many of those items are addressed, as well as providing a significant leap into a more elegant build environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your marketing team (or other business unit outside of IT) needs to be able to "self-serve" for daily building and content management, I'd highly suggest you look at the DNN Evoq solution. Because we are fortunate to have in-house developers, we were able to really create a deeply branded, custom site. However, many of the off-the-shelf skins offer great options too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The positive impact on our Key Performance Indicators continues to build. These metrics, along with our site recently being named the Best Education Website in the Internet Advertising Competition, presented by the Web Marketing Association, confirms that our DNN Evoq choice created a strong platform for success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Application Developer
Higher Education
What do you like best?

I've been using DNN since version 3 and Evoq since about version 5. I've not yet found a an area where I could say, "I wish DNN would do this." I've had to get creative in some instances to provide a solution to a particular problem, but it's never been about what the platform can do, only about how it's used. Out of the box, the core modules are great, but when you add in some from the store or free modules like OpenWebStudio the possibilities are endless in what you can do and it only seems to be getting better with each new version. The community and support network surrounding this product is outstanding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The price tag for the editions above community can be a bit steep, in my opinion, for the feature set that each version brings. However, for Evoq Content, it seems fair for the outstanding support, access to manuals, and first access to latest stable versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Evaluate the community package as well as Evoq. The Community edition will more than likely handle most business needs. For those requiring additional support, Evoq Content is great. You'll pay for the support, but it's worth it to have someone to call if you run into problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

One of the main issues we had prior to installing the CMS was being understaffed meant not always quickly addressing requests for updated content across several sites. To help with this, DNN provided us with the ability to assign and train Web Admins for each site and help spread the work load. Now individual departments keep their sites up to date in a timelier fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business and Systems Integration Consultant
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to get going with a bunch of templates and modules for every use case you could need. You can also get mobile responsive skins too. We found it very easy to export a template and load into another site, therefore making it easy to make a quick portfolio of websites for the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As well as liking the modules, you don't find many that have a great UI on the backend for the admin users who update the content. The licence was a bit of an issue for us because to be able to achieve high availability in the Cloud, you sometimes need to have two instances of your site available and then load balance. However, the licence was per IP address, so if you had two instances of your site, you had to pay for two licences. I am not sure if DNN has fixed this now though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start with the light version to get a feel for it, if you like then you can buy the pro version. Also, go to the market place and check some of the modules there before custom building your own. Its possible to buy a really decent module for less than $100 which is likely to have been tested which saves you lots of time and money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Create a template website and then replicate it many times. Pay for one licence and re-use multiple times. Create single sign on easily. The business I was working at had 50 venues, and didn't want to pay for 50 websites, but instead create a few templates and then cookie cut those.

Founder
Internet
What do you like best?

For me the best thing about DNN is the ease and speed at which I can implement a fully functional web portal that is complete with user/role based security. Also that I can see immediately see what my changes to the site and it's content look like after editing right from the same UI. No need to log out of the back end.

The other OUTSTANDING aspect of DNN is the amazing community of users in the ecosystem. I have been able to go from knowing nothing about the platform to being VERY comfortable in all aspects of it's use, largely due to the willingness of other community members to help and their extensive contributions in the way of documentation and tutorials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I first started using DNN back in 2009 there were some security and performance problems that have since been resolved. At this point, I honestly can't think of anything significant I could say in the negative about DNN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would STRONGLY recommend the DNN Community Platform to anyone who is looking to develop a serious and professional online presence that requires little to no coding experience. On the other hand, if you are a seasoned developer, you will find the DNN platform offers a very robust foundation to develop and implement your own custom web based applications and modules. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a front end web developer (learning to be a back end developer as well) and being able to roll out a fully functional website for my clients in a matter of days rather than weeks or months has greatly improved my bottom line. I am a one man shop a this point and because of DNN I have been able to triple the number of clients I serve without hiring any additional staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

I have been using DNN since 2007 to create and manage multiple websites. It is a powerful and comprehensive tool which enables non-developers to build highly functional web sites. It has limitations and frustrations but it has remained my "go to" platform for the past seven years. I appear to be in good company as there are

Using DNN, I can produce a modern, subscription, website in a weekend. My site will contain an elegant skin, a graphic rotator, the ability for people to register, basic social media functions, a menu that changes as different users log in, a newsletter broadcasting ability, lots of content, pop-up windows, blogs and articles. That's a lot of functionality for free and for someone who is not a professional web developer. You can see an example of such a site at agilethinking.com. This site is built on the free edition of DNN Community supplemented by both free and purchased modules.

In considering DNN, it is important to realize that there is a large community of module developers. There are many free modules available (http://dotnetnuke.codeplex.com/) and a large number of paid ones as well (http://store.dnnsoftware.com/). A bit of web research will enable you to identify the reliable and creative developers whose modules make this platform especially flexible and powerful.

In short, DNN enables you to create a professional, highly interactive site without the need to write code. You can control the look and feel through the skin you use and enhance the functionality through purchased modules.

If you are more technical there are several rapid development tools available that will allow you to create your own custom modules (for example XMod Pro ) and if you are a developer (or hire one) you can code custom modules in C# or Visual Basic.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

DNN started out as an open source project but like other open source products now has commercial versions. While the company has made good on its promise to continue developing the Community edition, the support often feels haphazard and spotty. Some bugs persist for a long time.

Some open source products seem to have a more active and welcoming user community than you will find at DNN. Within the DNN community, there is a bias toward developers. If you know how to code and are comfortable with .NET and Microsoft servers you'll be fine. If you, like me, are less technical you may find that some aspects of DNN are frustrating. This is not to suggest that the hurdles are insurmountable but some things you may want to do require you to change files on the server rather than being able to manage them from within DNN.

There is help available. If you are on your own, you can subscribe to DNN Creative or DNN Hero both of which produce instructional videos on a regular basis. A company like Managed.com will install, host and provide excellent service for your DNN site, And there are many consulting companies that will help you as well for a fee.

If you are comfortable managing your own server, you will have few problems. If not, you may need to seek help if you want to do more than the basics. However, even the basics will provide you with excellent functionality, Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Despite my frustrations, I have been a loyal DNN user for many years. I am not a developer and want to be able to create powerful and attractive web presences quickly and easily. DNN fills this need.

If you lack technical or web development skills, you will be fine as long as you stick to the basic platform functionality extended by free and purchased modules. You can do a lot. If you have more complex custom needs bordering on needing to create a web application, consider hiring a DNN consultant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

If any of these describe your business you should consider DNN. You have a business which requires a web presence. You are delivering content or need an eCommerce platform. You want users to be able to register and want to show different classes of users the different content. You want to empower some users to create and manage limited content. You want to be able to send out newsletters to users based on their role. You want basic social computing functionality like groups, discussions, voting, a news feed. You want blogs and articles. You want multiple languages.

I have used all of these functions and been able to do them without hiring web developers. Being able to build and manage the sites myself is a large business advantage,

If you plan to resell a product based on DNN, note that it is licensed using the MIT license which is extremely favorable and places few restrictions on you. This is unusual in the open source community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Evoq Content?