Ethnio Reviews & Product Details

What is Ethnio?

Ethnio is a UX research recruiting, scheduling, incentives, and participant management tool.

Ethnio Screenshots

Ethnio Reviews

1-6 of 6 total Ethnio reviews
UX Researcher
Insurance

"Helping manage large research teams and automate operations for small research teams- in one tool!"

What do you like best?

I've been working with Ethnio for five years at three different companies. At Facebook and Airbnb, I used Ethnio to manage research operations (specifically intercepts and participant management) across teams of 60+ researchers. Now that I work as a team of two, I use Ethnio to carry the burden of research operations for my own studies. I've found Ethnio to be extremely adept to a variety of situations, and the customer service at Ethnio is second-to-none. Any question I have I get an answer to often within an hour, sometimes I notice they just fix the issue on my behalf and send a quick notification about it. I like that with Ethnio I can do everything from source participants on my own site, to run brand surveys, to create email templates, to manage my pool of participants. I love the incentive features, too and have used them since the days of just Amazon gift cards. It's such an easy tool and my go-to starting place for almost every project I start. I can't recommend it enough for budding research operations teams trying to handle multiple streams of work across researchers, all the way down to scrappy startups of one or two researchers.

What do you dislike?

Ethnio, like most small research tool companies, has bugs occasionally. To get around issues with this I try to test my projects with Ethnio before I launch to avoid unexpected errors. The Ethnio team is always learning, so I've found that being honest and proactive with my feedback has helped resolve any issues I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to email info@ethn.io if you have any questions at all. I've saved a ton of time by just asking! Further, be sure to use tagging whenever possible. Ethnio is feature rich, so it's important to use tags and naming conventions that will pay dividends later as you utilize more features or start more studies.

With a lack of user data to pull from, Ethnio allows me to easily get access to real customers through their intercept tool. Additionally, our team is scrappy and not ready to buy into a managed brand survey platform so I use Ethnio has a quick way to get feedback about our tool and experience for our brand team. Finally, Ethnio makes it easy to manage participants across a variety of projects and easily keep tabs on where they came from, when and what interaction they've had with our research team.

UA
(Myself Only)

"Exponential Payoffs for UX Research Recruiting"

What do you like best?

The best part of Ethnio is how much time my research team saves recruiting participants. Prior to using Ethnio, our team would spend days trying to track down and screen people for user testing. With Ethnio, I'm able to target specific types of users and contact respondents almost instantly! Such a game changer not only in saving tons of time, but its enabled my team to advocate more the value of UX research to stakeholders. Now stakeholders are beginning to understand UX from our perspective.

What do you dislike?

It's such a powerful tool with lots of features. At first, the experience might feel a bit overwhelming, but once I got past the learning curve I feel so much more in control of managing all the logistics that go into UX research. They're support team is solid at getting feedback and they're constantly working on improving their UX.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. There's so many features within the product that you'll find solutions to a LOT of UX research needs. Also, their customer support is fantastic and super responsive. If you're not using Ethnio, you're behind in the game.

Ethnio allows my team to intercept real users in real time. This has proven extremely beneficial because of the amount of qualitative data we are receiving. Our business as a whole is able to empathize holistically with our customers which strengthens our relationship with them and ultimately gives us a competitive edge.

"Recruiting is a Breeze. Organization Aspect is Improving..."

What do you like best?

There are so many steps involved in finding, recruiting, scheduling, and paying participants for a study, and Ethnio makes the process so much easier. This isn't just because they have intercepts that pop up on our website; they also make recruiting through email much smoother. I have so much more time to focus on my actual research, thanks to Ethnio. Additionally, having the possibility to intercept customers has opened up the possibilities of what kinds of research my team can do, and the kinds of users we can talk to. We've gotten more creative with our projects as a result, which yielded great insights.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was easier to add people that we recruited outside of Ethnio. For example, from time to time, we use different recruiting services to find people who are outside of my company's customer base. It's a little tricky to add them. Additionally, there is a learning curve, and I'm still having the most trouble, admittedly, with the Pool feature (which helps you keep track of participants and potential participants). It's still more confusing than I would like it to be, considering it's supposed to make it easy for me to keep track of people who responded to my emails or screeners, and people who participated in research. I know the Ethnio team is still working hard at it though and I look forward to seeing more improvements.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Schedule several calls with Ethnio's time to go over everything you need. They have SO many useful features but you may need help discovering them. Also, they have lots of creative ideas/solutions that they're happy to share.

I am streamlining recruiting and scheduling, and keeping a record of everyone my team has 'touched' for research.

"There's just nothing else out there"

What do you like best?

Ethnio's good quality is that it screens/recruits AND schedules. Otherwise, there's not much else to like, unfortunately.

What do you dislike?

Ethnio is the bane of my team's existence. But it is a necessary evil because it's really the only tool out there that does what we need. The interface is not great- it's very limited. When creating screener surveys, we are also limited in the types of questions we can ask and how we can order them. For example, we can't have branching question tracks. This can be incredibly frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really consider if this does everything you need it to do, or not. If recruiting participants is already a quick and easy process for you, you may not need anything like this. If this would actually help your team, despite its shortcomings, then sure, consider it seriously. Just keep in mind that you will most like not be able to create anything more than simple screeners- AKA you will still have a fair amount of manual work to do regarding recruiting.

With Ethnio, we aim to solve the problem of complicated recruiting processes. The purpose is to streamline recruiting, screening, and scheduling research participants. While it basically does what it strives to do, the overall experience of using Ethnio hasn't been great, and really doesn't allow UX researchers to do everything we need to do with a tool like this.

"Learning Curve but Powerful"

What do you like best?

I use Ethnio every day - my team does a pretty high volume of qual UX research, and this gets us direct access to our users through intercepts, and lets us schedule and pay them pretty easily. Did it take me a while to learn? Yes. But most of our studies aren't that simple either, and we do mostly international remote testing, so I need tools that accommodate a lot of different scenarios.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. There are so many settings it's easy to lose track of things, but once you do a few projects, it's not an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take them up on their phone call demo things. Without that it can definitely be tricky.

I was wasting 10x more time working with agencies or panels that yielded the wrong participants. Now I can get direct access to my users in a few seconds, and more importantly get them in the moment as they use our products. Scheduling and paying them all in one place is just a huge time-saver. Big fan of Ethnio!

AR

"Ethnio needs work"

What do you like best?

I like the interface on some of the features. I like the filters available when they work.

What do you dislike?

The colors that are used in the calendar view are not very well thought out and easy to confuse what they are intended to mean. Ask there are a lot of bugs.

I use Ethnio to schedule and pay clients.

Ethnio User Ratings