AppDynamics

AppDynamics

An application performance management solution that monitors every line of code to help resolve application issues, make user experience improvements, and monitor application performance.

Work for AppDynamics?

Learning about AppDynamics?

AppDynamics Reviews

Ask AppDynamics a Question
Showing 191 AppDynamics reviews
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about AppDynamics
Jonatan M.

"All in On Monitoring Tool"

What do you like best?

It is a good option to evaluate a process of monitoring your network. It offers good integration capabilities with other manufacturers, services and suppliers, thus facilitating the implementation and execution of the work. The control panel keeps the setup items well organized and arranged on the screen making management simpler and more efficient. The alerts model allows the configuration of actions for predetermined cases, ie it is possible to configure certain actions for alerts of critical levels for example. In summary, it is a general control panel on the applications and network infrastructure, providing important information on performance, prediction of errors and alerts.

What do you dislike?

I do not remember anything that deserves negative points, perhaps because it is a very complex tool and it is the learning time to be able to efficiently take advantage of all the features of the tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The tool has a free license, with most of the features available for testing. Check to see if it meets your needs and operational of the implementation. If possible, make available a team that is dedicated to the study of the tool, this facilitates the discussion during the discovery of problems and improvements.

It brought greater visibility into the environment.

Better targeting of the actions the monitoring and support teams.

More value-added and important information during decision-making.

What Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solution do you use?

Morgan C.

"A tool that allows me to manage and monitor the performance of all the applications"

What do you like best?

I like to be able to visualize in a single panel everything I need to know about my projects and how they work, I like it because I can test and optimize some marketing campaigns that I launch, it allows me to follow the interactions on our website and improve with this data the processes of sales, production and marketing, it offers a lot of useful information that helps to easily resolve any error.

What do you dislike?

The interface is somewhat complex at first, it is difficult to find important and necessary information.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend those who start using Appdynamics to go through a training program before starting to use it.

In my company we started to leave Appdynamics because it is a tool that allows me to manage and monitor the performance of all the applications we launch, it allows me to keep a complete track of the capacity and speed with which the software we develop to optimize them because it detects failures or errors, I can also monitor the activities of users to have better control of the use that can be given.

Andrew B.

"Helps me to control in a more efficient way the apps"

What do you like best?

I like AppDynamics very much because it helps me to control in a more efficient way the apps that I am deplegating in the cloud, it offers detailed data, it has a light load of the server, it helps to find errors easily and it constantly monitors the stability and the performance of the apps.

What do you dislike?

The cost is the main problem encountered by users of this software so be careful and use it as strictly necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has helped me to find almost imperceptible errors, the best part of this software is the analysis capability it offers.

I have more than 40 apps deployed and another 15 in development, so I need AppDynamics to help me find the weaknesses of my work, has an interface with a very intuitive design that greatly simplifies its use, is test approach is very effective, in addition to identifying the problem helps me find the source to correct it.

Ariadna T.

"A platform with all the important information"

What do you like best?

I like AppsDynamics because it gives me a platform with all the important information regarding the software and computer services we develop, I like it because it is very easy to use and quickly finds any error and points it to the programmer or administrator.

What do you dislike?

I think you could add more features to better optimize the apps it monitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a necessary tool that helps to give the last touches and arrangements to the projects and products next to be launched.

The AppsDynamics platform has been adopted in my company by recommendation of our senior systems engineer because it maintains an efficient and permanent control over the software, apps and extensions that we develop to optimize our services, it takes a long time to point out specific errors and their exact location in addition to collecting all types of data related to each unit.

Sujit K.

"One of the best APM tools in the market"

What do you like best?

Disclaimer: We are in the evaluation process.

As part of the evaluation, we've been able to test out a few tools on the market and AppD stood out the best. The best part of AppD is the presentation of the info it gathers. It aggregates the relevant info into a single flow and presents it in a tab with the ability to drill down further. It is most helpful in presenting it to the management as we go thru' the evaluation process.

What do you dislike?

Disclaimer: We are in the evaluation process.

There is a bit of learning curve to get the hang of the tools features as it has a lot of them. Also perhaps the pricing is a bit on the high side when you have several hundreds of servers to monitor.

Disclaimer: We are in the evaluation process.:

Our application is very data intensive and straight out of the box, AppD was able to pinpont some pain points we hadnt noticed. Certain queries that required optimization as they were being called several million times, essentially doing a lot of I/O on the DB server.

David S.

"It's a good tool (for pre-production stages) but not relevant for problem solving"

What do you like best?

- A lot of information about your system is provided, performance wise.

- We are able to look into the inner workings of our current system

- Clean and intuitive interface and allows users to get information with just one glance.

- Identification of issues are now easier than ever, at both customer levels and infrastructure (backend) levels

- Support is ok

- One good thing about this is that the community is growing into a sizeable amount. you are able to find tutorials on the net easily.

What do you dislike?

- The learning curve is relatively steep due to all the advanced features which my business requires

- Weird bugs which annoys my development team - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt??

- It requires major planning prior to implementation - if you are already on production environment, this will require you to tear down your existing infrastructure.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For current systems which are already live, implementing this may be a hassle and chore. Recommended for those who are interested in monitoring their new systems, with regards to performance, to use this instead.

We are trying to monitor the performance of our new system and streamline processes which potentially can help our staff do their work with better efficiency.

Mirna G.

"Effective control and management"

What do you like best?

I like it because through this tool I can have a more effective control and management over the software in operation, also gives me very concrete and complete daily reports to better understand some problems.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I don't like, it greatly improves the way I manage and improve all my projects thanks to the statistics and reports I receive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I like it because it helps me to find faults quickly, this used to be very long and tedious because I had to check by parts.

In our company we are delighted with AppDynamics because it provides constant monitoring of our apps and other software taking care that they work properly and giving us all kinds of useful data that serve to improve their performance or repair code errors indicating the right place where the error is detected.

Benjamin O.

"Intervenes gathering information of all kinds and marking errors"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Appsdynamics is that it allows me to save a lot of time because it finds errors and brand where they are exactly, I also like the design very much because on a screen I can have the data that really interest me and are useful.

What do you dislike?

I think you could improve a little the customization of the account to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AppDynamics' service is excellent because it allows me to monitor my software in real time and collect important information for future reports and improvements.

All my works go through a long test process in which Appdynamics intervenes gathering information of all kinds and marking errors for me to solve them, also allows to see the data of users who are using it.

Siti N.

" Baik diguna untuk semua! "

What do you like best?

Korelasi masalah Pengalaman Pengguna dengan transaksi bisnis ke tingkat permintaan basis data adalah fitur yang sangat kuat. Banyak integrasi dan ekstensi yang tersedia. Komunitas AppDynamics memiliki basis pengguna yang besar dan bersemangat, serta pembaruan, perbaikan, dan dukungan dari AppDynamics sangat baik. Ini juga salah satu sistem di mana kita dapat mengkonfigurasi banyak.

What do you dislike?

Pelaporan dapat ditingkatkan. Sebagai contoh, saya lebih suka laporan ringkasan Aplikasi OOTB untuk memasukkan pengalaman pengguna

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Jika Anda dapat memiliki uang maka Anda harus melakukannya. Ini dapat diintegrasikan dan mudah digunakan. Manfaatkan versi uji coba gratis dan dukungan teknisnya untuk memahami sepenuhnya bagaimana itu dapat menguntungkan bisnis anda.

Alat yang sangat efisien untuk memantau sumber daya infrastruktur, permintaan basis data, laporan kesalahan dan ketersediaan juga sangat berguna bagi administrator dan pengguna sistem.

Duncan K.

"Keep an eye on your activities by using AppDynamics "

What do you like best?

There is free trial of the software that is easy to use and can be acquired to assess the suitability of the software in your company.

It offers us insight and analytics concerning our business and this enables us to keep our operations tight and running smoothly.

Customer support is availed to all clients who may have issues in using the software in an efficient manner.

What do you dislike?

Some of our less tech-savvy employees had a steep learning curve in getting to know how to use the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The pricing o the software can be a bit high to budding organizations especially the SMEs but again the gains realized from the software out shadow its price. Customer support is willing to help and therefore make your user experience to be perfect and excellent.

AppDynamics helps us ensure that our operations do come to a halt due to instances that can solved and avoided if contact and intervention is done on time. It helps us ensure that our workflows run without any interruption and that everything moves on well as planned and be able to maximize and take advantage of our economies of scale

NaveenKumar N.

"Excellent APM to monitor performance"

What do you like best?

I used both the leading APM tools; I love the following features in AppDynamics which expedites the performance bottleneck detection: real-time monitoring both transactions and end-user monitoring, host health metrics, code-level detection, and intuitive performance reports.

AppDynamics supports all the major technology stacks (end to end) which is a great advantage and also, the alerts, health rules, email/SMS integration is simple to use and it requires less expertise to manage.

AppDynamics community has a huge user base and vibrant and the updates, fixes, and support from AppDynamics are excellent.

What do you dislike?

Pricing. To sign-up, it is must to have an email address. Only 14-days pro-trial for SaaS which can be increased to 60 days. 15 days trial for the AppDynamics Pro which also can be increased to 60 days. There is no lifetime personal license available in AppDynamics.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are other APM tools like New Relic, Stackify, Riverbed, etc are available if you are looking for a budget solution.

We execute various types of performance testing such load testing, stress testing, endurance testing and spike testing on daily basis in various environment. It was tough to detect and monitor the performance issues for each type of performance testing. But using AppDynamics, it is possible to create a trend in bottleneck detection. When the performance testing projects integrated with CI/CD pipeline, then AppDynamics plugin helps a lot e.g. if there is a performance degradation, it allows the job to be failed.

Mary K.

"Enhances the monitoring and management of applications in a company. "

What do you like best?

Enables execution of business monitoring in our organization hence ensure that we hold and maintain a clear dashboard of the health of our business.

The vendor offers a free trial plan of the software and its efficient to use in assessing the strengths of AppDynamics before acquiring the preferred plan.

Monitors our crucial servers and databases that we place our workflows and plans ensuring that they remain vibrant and powering at all times.

What do you dislike?

Some of the assigned users of the plan encountered a steep learning curve in understanding how to use the software and they had to undergo further training in keeping up with the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AppDynamics is a reliable solution and the customer support offered by the vendor is accurate and swift and this will help your organization have a prompt response in case of any query.

Our organization being a service offering organization is very much reliant on the adequacy and efficiency of our applications, servers and databases and with that in mind, we deployed AppDynamics due to its efficiency and it has helped us avoid shutdowns and ensure that our systems run, operate and continue to help us serve our customers effectively thus powering up our growth plans and visions.

Violet W.

"Gain rich insight and data concerning all of your operations by using AppDynamics"

What do you like best?

It helps us to monitor, automate and analyze all the operations that happen in our organization.

Gives us 24/7 visibility into our operations and applications thereby eliminating any downtime or systems/applications crush.

Customer support is available in case of any query/issue.

What do you dislike?

The mobile version of the platform is not that intuitive and its advisable to stick with the desktop version for reliable visibility into your operations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A free trial version of the software is available and hence before you acquire it, it will help in piloting and testing the suitability of the software in your organization. After acquiring it, you will be able to manage your workflows and function efficiently and be able to plan and have improved workflows and enhanced productivity at all times.

AppDynamics has been excellent in helping us cut operating costs and expenses compared to the time when we did not have it in place. Due to lack of insight and oversight into our operations and applications we were hampered by our own internal efficiencies, something that we have solved now and we are working to our maximum.

Michael H.

"The price of Omnipotence"

What do you like best?

The .NET and Java agents hide incredible amounts of additional monitoring capabilities not enabled by default. Given a fair level of autonomy a senior administrator would help any company realize an unparalleled level of visibility and reactivity.

The Server Visibility is just what an Ops team needs. Clean, effective, data-center-wide visibility on CPU, RAM, DISK, and NETWORK. All cleanly cut up into individual tabs.

Appdynamics is constantly improving,

You can work on a hybrid solution leaving the gathering of critical intel to occur within your own server hardware and the resource heavy EUM to occur on AppD hardware over a secure connection.

Having more visibility faster than even our data center hosts have it.

The entire 24x7 support staff knows their craft and are effective at resolution response.

The new logo looks great, this is important when you put your tool belt utility labels on your public site.

AppDynamics is highly configurable for "actions" which include alerts and actions.

What do you dislike?

There is no direct dial for support. I've been stuck playing email tag to get to a GTM going during a critical outage. Support is usually very responsive, but with all the alarms and whistles during mission critical outage I want clear connectivity to support, and a direct link to a GTM 5 minutes ago.

The database tools are a bit lacking in the 4.3 version and don't seem to have been improved that much leading into 4.4. You still get a really good level of "add-on" visibility to a tool such as Redgate. However, I wouldn't consider this a "one stop platform shop" until the database visibility improves greatly.

Large companies need to realize that the administration of AppDynamics is at least 1 full time job.

Some of the ability to configure when paired with a large environment can cause you the need to revert changes and re-configure to avoid confusion.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not think that this application will solve your problems if you are not willing to invest the appropriate time and resources into it. Invest in training a local asset and have them work with the services group to properly implement. Appdynamics is well worth the money for the software if you have the money to support it internally as well. Almost all installations > 20 agents take a full time asset with Admin privileges in your environments.

Expect great things from this company in the near and distant future.

We have realized far greater visibility and mobility as an Operations team. We have been able to double our product footprint without increasing our staff and without overloading them either. Lastly, we were able to boost the "signal to noise" ratio on our alerting strategies and script out automated responses during out of office hours.

C

"Excellent features, great product and very promising features with few improvement areas"

What do you like best?

To start with i have been using AppD since last 3 yrs. Earlier we use multiple tool to debug/replicate user experience however with AppD we can directly deep dive and find the root cause.The overall UI is very easy to understand and navigate. Correlation of User Experience issues with business transaction to the level of database queries is very powerful feature.

What do you dislike?

Licensing of Synthetic blocks based on consumption over time/per month is tricky and requires regular tracking if jobs fail frequently. Hope this can be modified to something simpler such as number of jobs running and so on. The alert suppression does not include synthetic job suppression. Although you can manually enable or disable jobs

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is one APM tool that has something for everyone from CIO/CTO to application developer/operations teams. Go for it.

We need to debug/analyze user related issues so that we can improve user experience using our product

Joseph G.

"Excellent APM platform "

What do you like best?

It helps us monitor our performance and gain real-time insights concerning our business.

Offers unified monitoring that is acquired from integration with other apps offering thorough visibility and insight into an organizations performance.

Offers us with business insights and meaningful data for enabling easier decision making.

What do you dislike?

When its deployed in an organization for the first time, it takes time to be able to learn how to use the software in an excellent manner. The learning curve is steep.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The platform is reliable and it will help your company monitor your performance and in case its faulty or wanting, you will be able to learn on how to improve it better.

AppDynamics has helped us in enhancing our workflow and ensuring that our activities and production schedules continue to operate uninterrupted and we are able to continue offering services to our clients. It has also enhanced our decision making process by giving us real-time analytics and insights concerning our business and therefore solidify our status.

Carolina S.

"AppDynamics es un programa muy útil"

What do you like best?

AppDynamics es una herramienta muy buena y usamos el APM para monitorear gran parte de los rendimientos de nuestros sistemas. Poder personalizar el panel fue un punto a favor y me permitió configurarlo de la forma que prefiero.

Nos gusta AppDynamics por su solución altamente configurable y su capacidad para ser compatible con las principales pilas de tecnología, lo que es beneficioso para nosotros.

Muy satisfecho con el soporte técnico proporcionado por AppDynamics ya que son receptivos y están bien informados. Sus frecuentes actualizaciones y arreglos también son excelentes, demostrando que escuchan a los usuarios.

What do you dislike?

A pesar de la fácil implementación de AppDynamics y de la suficiente documentación disponible, las documentaciones a veces son confusas y requieren un tiempo para comprenderla.

AppDynamics además es muy caro.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Aproveche al máximo la versión de prueba gratuita y su soporte técnico para comprender completamente cómo puede beneficiar a su empresa. Sin embargo, si está buscando una solución de presupuesto, sería mejor que busque otra cosa.

Al usar AppDynamics, podemos monitorear nuestros sistemas y realizar varias pruebas de esfuerzo para tamizar el punto de estrangulamiento y rectificarlos y mejorar nuestra eficiencia.

AI

"Great features, they thought of everything"

What do you like best?

Unified Monitoring rolls several products into one platform, which makes for robust solutions. The UI is perfected. Website monitoring is made more efficient with AppDynamics. Support is average to good. It is a robust, ROBUST product but this has its drawbacks as well.

What do you dislike?

Robust tool usually means a steep learning curve and AppDynamics is no exception. Implementation has been a challenge. The current version is also buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try out solutions that don't require a full replacement of existing infrastructure first. If you are in need of a robust solution that will probably improve - removing bugs, increasing support, etc. - in the next few years, you might be willing to grow with AppDynamics. We are not.

Seeking efficiency with a new infrastructure for website monitoring. If it weren't for the bugs and issues with implementation, this would be a perfect solution for us. We will probably seek another option.

Thomas R.

"Easy adaptation, easy monitoring at one glance"

What do you like best?

AppDynamics is a very good tool and we use the APM to monitor much of our systems performances. Being able to customize the dashboard was a plus point to me and allowed me to configure it to the way i prefer.

We like AppDynamics for its highly configurable solution and ability to supports all the major technology stacks which is a beneficial to us.

Very satisfied with the tech support provided by AppDynamics as they are responsive and knowledgeable. Their frequent updates and fixes are excellent too, showing that they listen to the users.

What do you dislike?

Despite the easy implementation of AppDynamics and the sufficient documentations available, the documentations are at times, confusing and require some time to fully understand. The pricing of AppDynamics is on the steep side as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make full use of the free trial and their tech support to fully understand how it can benefit your company. However, if you are looking for a budget solution, you would be better off looking for something else.

Using App Dynamics, we are able to monitor our systems and conduct various stress test to sieve out the choke point and rectify them and improve our efficiency.

Mindy G.

"A great control and monitoring platform"

What do you like best?

AppsDynamics is a great control and monitoring platform that collects the data I need to optimize my projects without problems and without wasting much time, is very functional and allows me to develop my projects much faster.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about AppsDynamics, it's very professional software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A highly recommended tool that helps us optimize software development while maintaining exhaustive control and collecting the most important data.

Since we used AppsDynamics in our company we could do a better job with the apps and software that we are pinning in operation, allows us to measure the functionality and find errors in record time, a fantastic software.

Daniel C.

"Monitor and analyze your business operations by using AppDynamics "

What do you like best?

Fits in all organizations from the small, medium even to large ones.

Customer support is available and ready to help at all times in case of any query or issue.

There is a free trial version of the software that new users can acquire and use it for piloting purposes.

What do you dislike?

You can only use the software from a desktop as its supported on mobile devices hence limit its usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a reliable application monitoring platform that will improve and enhance the way you work at your organization. Acquiring it will improve and change the way you work and plan your work schedules.

AppDynamics helps us plan, analyze and implement stable and effective workflows that are organized and based on empirical insights and data. With this we are assured that our operations will run smoothly and we will receive value for invested time, money and resoruces.

Lakshmi S.

"For the reporting"

What do you like best?

It’s a tool that offers seamless traceability and a view that bridge both the APM and the Business product usage effectively.. Different people can interpret this definition differently so this article attempts to qualify what APM is, what it includes, and why it is important to your business. If you are going to take control of the performance of your applications, then it is important that you understand what you want to measure and how you want to interpret it in the context of your business.

What do you dislike?

The problem is that none of the server monitoring tools are capable of knowing how your applications are performing. Some of them can probe your application to see if it is available or not but none can tell you why your application has ceased to function.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its good to use and easy to adopt to your projects. I had lot many features. Application behavior and features such as monitoring asynchronous threads and End User Monitoring increase the number of metrics per minute flowing to the Controller and can affect the requirements. so try to keep this simple as possible so that it can improve your performance and reliability

We were using this for monitoring application health and also for thread counts

Noman G.

"Excellent Monitoring Tool, Implement and Enjoy!"

What do you like best?

This application is very much useful for Production support department. This will indicate error on server , networks as well as line of source code, which help to rapid support with efficient manner. Further this will also integrate with firewalls. we can use email and sms for pre alert or any thing required

What do you dislike?

Integration is very much complex. We cann't implement internally as required complete hand on training with expects. Additionally, integration with Oracle on source code need to implement in future as .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

this will required what support department objective and goals. this will help to achieve their KPI on write directions.

Support issue and identifying the actual issue ,as we are the large organization with have multiples domains, and every domains have their work loads., this application help them to identity the error root for rapid fixation.

Soumitra C.

"AppDynamics : WebApplication for Performance Monitoring and Identifying Performance bottlenecks "

What do you like best?

AppDynamics help to visualize the entire business flow in a details .All the databases, infrastructure ,front end data flow and connections are all captured will metrics like load time ,network IO ,etc.Its gives details metrics on each layer for further analyze and pin point any performance bottlenecks .

This is one of the leading products in market that is helping solving multiple performance issues.Its easy to provide client side as well as server side performance.

What do you dislike?

The only disadvantage i feel being a developer is the cost of AppDynamics License.It only provides 1 month free trial .

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My company has started using AppDynamics alongs with Dynatrace and planning to move `to App Dynamics because of its capability.

AppDynamics is helping many application identifying the performance issues and bottlenecks so that they can be fixed to improve application performance , reduce resource utilization and memory leaks which in-turn provides cost benefit to the organizations and customer satisfaction.

Rodolfo A.

"Lots of features with simple deployment"

What do you like best?

Simple deployment with standard agents. It's very easy to develop new extensions with the machine agent. Requires some understanding of the application server to deploy.

Very intuitive metrics browser and dashboard creation is super simple.

You can view the full application and resources state during a snapshot.

User and developer support is good.

What do you dislike?

No very friendly debugging. The logs are very cryptic some times.

The metrics collector server requires a lot of resources.

The platform and collector installation "wizzard" is not so friendly

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The trial last for 15 days which is more than enough to diagnose your application performance and possible errors or do some fine tuning.

Application mapping with connections to external systems (databases, web services, etc.).

In-depth application resource usage and performance.

Simple diagnostics of common misconfigurations

ABHISHEK K.

"Appd Awesome unique and amazing"

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

if you try to tackle interface transactions it does fails out on HTTP calls. Also the appd agent takes lot of time to fully load and start to monitor which consumes lot of JVM heap

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This monitoring tool is awesome in use , It monitors all the traffice and influx transactions going in and out of the system, it also used agent to feed in live data to the app dyanamics cloud machines which can be opened anywhere in the system.It gives lot of good capabilty to monitor and view heavy hitting traffic calls and also good capability to see Database queries and you can catch those to tune it.

it is used for monitoring all the transactions and resources . It gives a pictorial representation of the all transaction and protocol being used by the app and across all the interfaces which is really awesome way to know what the interface and protocols calls are going in or out. It also gives indepth heavy database queries or calls

Aman A.

"very powerful tools"

What do you like best?

It makes Saas so easy. It has best tools in industry.It make analysis super easy. All of my work was cut in half. very high efficiency.It allows in Depth of monitoring into Web applications and infrastructure is peerless. Complete suite of business-focused analytics, dashboards, reporting, and alerts for business users and IT professionals.

What do you dislike?

it can be complicated time to time. it can be expensive too. not alot of tech support either.I wish there were options for running application on network equipment.The uptake across our organization is slow moslty due to the change management that is required to integrate the use of an APM into the development process. This is not a statement that AppD is difficult to implement as the opposite is true. It is a simple statement of classic change management

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to include all areas of those in your IT department that could have a use for the product sooner in the process. It can help them to buy in earlier and see all of the benefits that it can allow for. Different areas of IT can definintly benefit from the tool.

we made our and our clients data centers more energy efficient and easy to monitor after we set it up.we used it to Troubleshooting bottlenecks on app and web servers, database, network etc

UT
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Detailed transaction monitoring"

What do you like best?

In our environment, appdynamics is deployed in the jvm. There is minimal overhead. The GUI provides resource usage graphing and call chains with identified errors/exceptions.

What do you dislike?

I don’t think our company uses it to its fullest potential. It would take a lot of setup to get it fully running from what I can tell. Especially building all of your Business Transaction rules. Sometimes the scope of the automated monitoring frequency doesn't capture full traces of the exact transaction you are looking for but the collective results get you what you need. Again this may be something we have not utilized, but it would be interesting to get reports of all the exceptions over a week's time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Work with the AppDynamics team closely; they will help set it up, train your teams, and ensure you are off to a great start. Should anything arise during your deployment they will be there to help you along.

Monitoring heap usage, garbage collections and their timings, and handling exceptions. This is specifically used in our environment as an after-the-alarm tool, but it can be configured to perform the alarming itself.

Hari P.

"Appdynamics gets all the tiny insights needed for your application "

What do you like best?

we use app dynamics for monitoring and alerting of our web applications in real time . The best thing about appdynamics is that you install an agent and it pulls all the needed insight itself from server load , to application load to slow and stuck business transaction . You can drill down as deeper as you want and can set alerting on health rule violation which is analayzed by trend of your application .

What do you dislike?

The onething i dislike is it is quite expensive and we always run out and max out the number of nodes which cause limit reached .

we are solving the real time client facing application performance evaluation which cannot be achieved by simple logging like splunk . Appd dynamics has helped us to investigate slow transactions , hung state , java heap space issues and load monitoring of a dedicated application

James W.

"A life saver "

What do you like best?

For me the best thing is the amount of control you have over the information that is displayed. You can really dial down the specific parameters you want to visibly monitor in real time. This can help you assess any situation quickly and effectively.

AppDynamics is a massive time saver, and reported issues with an app can be easily located and they can be solved so much quicker than previously. You can filter out parameters that you already know won't be an issue and get right to the cause.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be a little bit clunky at times and I think it could do with a bit of optimization. There are so many options available when using it it can slow it down a little.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This app can really help cut down the time it takes to find the cause of an issue. If you are finding yourself taking alot of time looking for the root of a reported problem and less time solving it then this will go a long way to making sure that doesn't happen.

We are using app dynamics to easy monitor all the apps our company uses in one place. The fact you can customize the what data is being reported means you can easily monitor exactly what you want to. This can save a massive amount of time by cutting out any information you have no desire to look at.

Jack B.

"An incredible resource. "

What do you like best?

The support available for developers is brilliant and the fact that support is available 24 hours is really worth while. The interface looks great and makes it easy to access all the information you need just from glancing at the screen. It is so easy to have it open on one monitor and look periodically without having to dive deep in to the program to run just a few checks.

The reporting that App Dynamics provides has really cut down the amount of time we take troubleshooting an app issue. While monitoring it can help us spot an issue early when our systems are working hard and we can react to this before it causes any damage.

What do you dislike?

The price of it is quite high so you have to be sure that this suits your needs before investing. Although the price is to be expected for what you get.

Set up does take a while to complete but this is because the program is so in depth. A streamlining of this process would be beneficial to any business but this should not sacrifice the depth of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For anyone looking to monitor multiply applications and produce real time reports then this does the job. It can help you react to arising issues before they have the chance to happen.

Monitoring in real time on a cloud based platform means you are no longer limited to your office. You have freedom while maintaining control. It also helps us collate an overview of how all our applications are performing across the whole business.

Joley P.

"Real Time Snapshot: Right Here, Right Now!"

What do you like best?

This software is really easy to use and understand! AppD afforded us the opportunity to view the entire text of our queries, and the response times for the slower queries. This way we could easily locate which queries were causing a slower functional response to our applications.

What do you dislike?

. We’ve only used it during a trial session/period however once we have more usage, we can provide a more accurate response. For now, some colleagues have reported that it can be more complicated than necessary, but that has not been my experience so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try - you can't go wrong!

We were able to accurately isolate which queries to optimize and ensure that the changes we made indeed addressed the issue in question, allowing us to concentrate on the application functions that are central to our business. We used it to explore real-time visibility of customer experience.

Chris M.

"App Dynamics saved us time"

What do you like best?

App Dynamics help us identify slow traffic on our mobile app down to the node that was causing the issue. We re also able to create dashboards to use that help us translate performance to the business so they have a picture of what is happening.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say there is noting I dislike about App Dynamics. Every day it helps us learn more and become proactive as opposed to reactive.

We recently had an issue where customers on our mobile app where having a poor user experience. With App Dynamics, we were able to see the transaction that was causing latency and trace it back to a DB issue. Without that, we would have to search for hours instead of minutes.

"Not a great experience"

What do you like best?

AppDynamics is a 'full-fat' APM & RUM product with a large feature-set & significant strengths around deep-dive analysis of application & network performance issues.

What do you dislike?

- Requires significant investment & commitment of resource to implement & configure well, which is required if you want to see any RoI

- Licensing model is outdated, and expensive.

- Lagging well behind other vendors in the same market with regards capabilities for instrumentation of 'cloud native' services

- Customer support has been consistently poor

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Invest heavily in adoption, training, configuration and integration.

We are trying to use AppDynamics to enhance observability of our production applications and services. However, we have yet to realise significant benefits / RoI from our use of AppDynamics.

Mukesh P.

"Great tool for monitoring and maintaining SLA"

What do you like best?

AppDynamics is a great monitoring tool and the alerts and dashboards helps us monitor our servers and helps filter response codes, even business team with minimal technical knowledge can open the dashboards and see our application performance, besides that it will send alerts to our mailing group which are very useful. The toplogy created by communication amongst our servers/Databases helps to understand the traffic flow.

The drilldown capability helps track down the nodes levels and see the JVM errors/exceptions.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve and more tutorials need to be created for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start using AppDynamics and you will love the capabilities it brings to your organization.

Helps strictly in maintaining SLA's we can identify any issues before customer communciates us to with problem so we can mitigate them

"Incredible APM tool"

What do you like best?

The most I like about this tool is it's interactive, simplistic and provides you with any application data you can think of.

The way it presents BTs and Metrics and Dashboards is amazing.

What do you dislike?

It is heavy, and requires lots of server resources when monitoring multiple applications. Also, reporting is not great but the vendors are still working on improving it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really great product. Would make your life easier.

We are enrolling AppDynamics into the whole Wells Fargo environment. Creating major and important application dashboards and viewing them at a glance and figuring out the issues application is facing resolves the time issues in case issue arises. Plus alerting system in AppDynamics is great too which alerts in case of any crashes.

Andrew F.

"Expensive but wow... the insight is worth it."

What do you like best?

Ease of integration using Javaagent. $$$

What do you dislike?

$$$ way too expensive for 90% of Corps..

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pricing is incredibly wrong. Only large corps can afford it. And many and up using Nw Relc which is a shame as this product is far superior and provides PRODUCTION APM and Monitoring.

This product will dispel the myth that Engineers “know” i.e. Guess where performance problems are. It can show granular transaction costs down to SQL query plans. It integrates easily with JEE, JDBC drivers and JMS APIs using its own Aspect-oriented byte code rewriting. ALL while in production. Yes, this product is ran on production machines. One can trace actual business logic bottle necks on the real system without a significant performance* hit. The performance gains from fixing the bottlenecks far out weights the 2% degradation of using this product. One can obtain exponential gains once it’s clear where the real performance issues are and not guesses.

ren y.

"AppDynamics is awesome"

What do you like best?

As a support engineer, AppDynamics is one of my daily tools that I cannot leave it. Especially for analyze production issues. For example, some sql query running very slow but I dont' know which one exactly. With the help of AppDynamics, I can filter out the long time request from end user, then analyze these bad performance requests to find out the sql performance issue.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit slow when you're navigating on the page. AppDynamics should improve its performance. There are lots of functions on AppDynamics, you need a formal training or someone is very experienced to guide you. If you're the first time to use it, you probably lost on the page because there're too many UIs on the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

AppDynamics is a very powerful tools to monitor your distribute system. It's easy to use and has a very simplicity UI. You can find the functions what you need quickly.

Sometimes, out customer said they encountered a very bad performance issue on our product. With the help of AppDynamics, we can quickly find out which request was slow. AppDynamics save our much time to looking for issue cause.

Besides, its alert function is very useful. There probably have hundreds or thousands servers running in your house, AppDynamics will alert you if one node is down.

Lastly, it's verify convenient to restart a batch of servers from AppDynamics. Yep, it saved you much time.

"Not a typical APM tool"

What do you like best?

We are using appdynamics as part of a POC. Our current tool is CA APM, which has a unusable UI/UX, and overall difficult tool to use when there is a war room scenario. I like AppDynamics because it has a very clean UI/UX including Flow Map, displays end to end transaction visibility, and very easy to configure. Additionally, the ability to compare releases (focusing on "shift left" mentality), runbook automation, and nifty dashboards that take advantage of detailed telemetry is what makes it a must have tool.

What do you dislike?

Their current UI still leverages flash technology under the hood.

Every time, a client complains of slowness in the app, we do not have enough telemetry to point to the real/underlying issue. this is a risk from client reputation standpoint, as it potentially violates SLAs. We want to use a tool like AppDynamics which not only helps us understand where the potential issue is, but lets us know before app performance starts to degrade. With AppDynamics, we were able to get notifications before the application perf started to degrade beyond a certain threshold, and we were able to mitigate it most of the times.

"Very user friendly APM tool with great analytics"

What do you like best?

Easy intuitive UI with BiQ/Analytics is certainly a great value add for this unified monitoring solution. The deep dive diagnostic capabilities what AppD offers is simply the best considering the fact that it covers the complete stack (APM, database monitoring, Browser/Mobile End User Monitoring, Infrastructure/server level monitoring, network) as well as the ability to monitor the latest technologies in the market via AppD extensions.

What do you dislike?

No centralized license management server - we have multiple instances of AppD set up onpremise but then due to the absence of centralized AppD license management server, we had to shuffle/swap the licenses as per our need and we need to apply individually on those on-premise instances.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very simplistic tool which provides great value add for the application dev and testing teams to deep into what is causing the application performance issues and to have good analytics visualization for the business/executive leadership to have the holistic view on what is happening on the application. Also, it provides the unified monitoring solution wherein you can have the visibility into the infrastructure, network, database as well as other new technologies (via its extension)

Identifying bottlenecks on what is causing the Application slowness or error is is the problem that we intend to use AppD for, which is no longer a time consuming task with AppD's snapshot functionality which also auto suggests the potential issues.

AI

"Great Product - Easy to setup and use"

What do you like best?

The best thing about AppDynamics is it is very easy to setup and configure, with some good experience about softwares and servers in general, a user can be up and ready to use AppDynamics within 30 minutes. The out of the box features allow you to quickly view a lot of data about your application which you do not have access to otherwise.

What do you dislike?

A better user experience can be provided on the dashboard creation. From my experience you can create great dashboards but then a user creating the dashboard should be well versed with the tool as well as know details about their own application in order to create a impressive dashboard. Some of the custom metric widgets on dashboards are not that email friendly and can be enhanced to provide a better configuration ability.

We are mainly looking for bottlenecks within our application and trying to identify the most expensive backend calls. Currently we are mainly doing out of the box monitoring that is available and plan to increase and improve it in the next few months.

Haresh S.

"Application performance monitoring for web applications"

What do you like best?

The full blown APM suite has the complete integration and collection of dashboards,reporting,databases and many more features which helps to get started and its ideal for small to medium business scale requirements and also robust and the end user experience includes web and mobile monitoring and gives regular checks and provides reliable updates all the time and its cloud based-unified monitoring goes a long way in determining the performance measure of each UX and individual transactions

What do you dislike?

It does not provide better support java end php nodes and mysql databases servers with the interactive flow of line of http calls from one server to another and sometimes the API calls and integration is a big hassles and takes a lot of comprehensive focus for any manual configuration issues

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best of the bunch for harnessing all the reporting data and customized back analysis reports all the time

Best for APM,content cloud monitoring ,large scale business like ours and giving regular alerts,business health and critical analysis for all our products and the status updates are really worth it ,UI complexity is trimmed down and ideal for docker monitoring,pings and service monitoring

Colin J.

"Great all-around monitoring product"

What do you like best?

Integration with multiple frameworks (Java, NodeJS, .NET, etc). Good database monitoring tool as well as end-user and synthetic user monitoring tool. Works great for on-premise and is always maturing and keeping up with industry trends. It's been in Garter's Leader Quad for years now.

What do you dislike?

SaaS is developed prior, then on-premise. We have reasons to need all of it on premise. They stay in step pretty well, and will fulfill promises to deliver.

We didn't know where the slow-downs were happening. The up/down way of monitoring wasn't enough for us, so the slowness, machine learning and baselining was really nice.

Seeing user experience was also very helpful.

"Our helper from the last two years!!"

What do you like best?

The trouble shooting in production environment is a breeze with Appdynamics!! We have brought lot of stability to the production environment only with Appdynamics' help and its reporting. We have our annual client events where the system comes under load. Appdynamics provides a perfect insight into the load the system is in during those events helping us to be very proactive.

What do you dislike?

Appdynamics exceeds expectations in what it promises. It does not promise a code debug kind of feature. But if it ever did, that would be an icing on the cake.

As mentioned above, its been an extreme help on production troubleshooting. The errors it has been able to provide insight into has helped us bring a lot of stability to our product. It continues to do so release after release.

Administrator in Internet

"Great monitoring tool"

What do you like best?

Being able to see quickly what is going on for any set of servers is crucial to supporting our applications.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of things that can be configured to improve the monitoring. It is hard to know how deep we need to go to get the most out of the tool.

Improved application performance by being able to see where the code and database issues are. We have used AppDynamics many times in diagnosing specific performance problems and resolved them due to the output it provides. Seeing problem trends before they become user problems is another benefit we've been able to realize.

UF

"Excellent monitoring software"

What do you like best?

I like the real time transaction monitoring feature and the various dashboards it provides out of the box. You can track a transaction from end to end. If your transaction passes through multiple services and databases, it shows all the components on the dashboard and then you can click on any component and view the details. You can monitor CPU, memory etc. It lets you setup email alerts. It also shows the errors and exceptions in the system. It is a complete monitoring software.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can think of. It has all the features we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a really good APM software, then this is it. It can help in detecting issues, as soon as they occur. It also shows you the exceptions and the component/service which is having problem, so it does the 'detection' part and your job becomes easier. It has everything that you would need in an APM software. You can track your transactions end to end.

We are using it for application end to end monitoring. We have various email alerts setup on CPU, memory, exceptions etc. We use it for production monitoring and have been able to catch issues as early as possible.

Samuel M.

"A Powerful Application Monitoring Tool"

What do you like best?

AppDynamics is easy to use. Additionally, AppDynamics is efficient because managing other tools using it is simple and fun.

It also has a great interface.

I like the supportive technical support of AppDynamics.

What do you dislike?

I have detected zero technical and functionality issues related to AppDynamics.

It is a wonderful application monitoring software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The pricing terms of AppDynamics are fair.

It is an incredible.

I love its functionality and capabilities.

I recommend it.

Honestly, AppDynamics has been a crucial tool to us.

I rate it very high because monitoring and management of other tools using it is easy and fast.

Zoltan L.

"Am impressive product that gives the ability to monitor, analyze, and understand your IT operations"

What do you like best?

-The responsiveness of the user interface and clean, readily understandable design

-The excellent diagnostics and trouble-shooting utilities

-The ability to see services on the lowest possible level as well as the highest level, interacting with the rest of the estate.

-The light-weight nature of the front-end

-The ease of user administration and controlling access

-The excellent customer support from the vendor

-Very light server load, less than 1% additional CPU load on every monitored host.

What do you dislike?

-Setup can take a very long time and quite some teething problems to overcome

-Ability to add new applications/services to be monitored isn't entirely straightforward in many cases, but that's understandable

-The cost of the product can get to be very significant very soon if you have a large and varied enterprise-level IT estate to cover and a large number of users

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider your IT estate carefully and try to limit the potential AppDynamics userbase to those who really need to use it as otherwise costs can swiftly spiral out of control.

Definitely try the trial with them, they are extremely responsive and accommodating with potential customers.

AppDynamics allow us to monitor the interaction between component services and applications in a solution stack, between discrete solutions interacting via the middleware with each other and MI reporting solutions, and all the external customer interactions hitting gateways and application servers on a unprecedented breadth and depth. The utility is immensely helpful for monitoring performance, finding problem spots, and diagnosing errors and significant performance hits.

AP
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Powerful monitoring system."

What do you like best?

It gave me in good, fast and relaible insights of your system in real time. I mostly used it for application performance monitoring (APM) that's where it shines. User interface is good.i loved it's alerts and email and sms integration can be managed by total beginner.

What do you dislike?

It is basically overkill for small business and it is a very pricey solution. As cisco acquired I expect there would be better choices for small business and better cost efficiency .trial period was too small for someone to truly know if they want it or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are going to try it in trial persiod , try to make most us eof that time and make a good decision because trial is very small. Although product is totally worth it if you have a big business .

On regular basis I did stress testing ,load testeing and performance testing to monitor our applications.i was able to do twice as much work without increasing the staff which was very cost efficient for my employer.

Learn more about AppDynamics

AppDynamics Videos

Learning about AppDynamics?

* We monitor all AppDynamics reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.