Thumbtack Reviews & Product Details

Thumbtack Overview

What is Thumbtack?

Thumbtack is an online service that helps people find handymen, housekeepers, tutors, photographers, wedding planners, and others for temporary employment.

Thumbtack Details

Location
Already have Thumbtack?
HC
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I was window cleaning. I pay for my leads on a “as you go” basis. I would pay for leads when my work was low. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I do like that I have control over which lead I pick. And I love that it tallies up how much you spend for taxes. Also, if the customer decides that that they don’t want any after all, you get your dough back. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think it’s really inconvenient that if a customer wants a job, and me and other contractors bid for it, we are all pretty much trying to win the customer over with the lowest price. And if you don’t win, you still lose your money. we all lose the money for the lead, and only one of us gets it. And the winner is pretty much the contractor whose price was the lowest. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Please do try it! If your prices aren’t high, otherwise, if your a pricey business, don’t try it. Winning bids is dependent on how low you can go in price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’m not solving any problems with them. I have realized that you benefit from good reviews. I have a 5star review. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Thumbtack connects consumers with service providers for your chosen fields. For example, we are a plumbing, heating, and cooling company, so whenever homeowners go to thumbtack looking to be connected with service providers in their area, we are given their information and project details. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We’re not cold calling customers. Thumbtack gives us leads to connect with customers to try to win jobs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The customers do not give their phone numbers - I believe we connect with more customers via different platforms (HomeAdvisor, Porch, etc) because we are given a phone number to reach the customer first. We use email as follow up after. With Thumbtack, it’s texting within the app so it feels less personal with the customers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Good application for connecting customers; not a lot of interaction with the actual employees of thumbtack. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It definitely helped out when we were in a slow time (historically March and April are slow in heating/AC in New England). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GF
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Ive used thumbtack for quotes for personal trainers, wedding related vendors, and to install a hot tub. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the idea of being able to get multiple quotes without having to talk to multiple people! The questions are not always very relevant to the inquiry you're making (or, are too in depth for the scenario) but they're quick and painless to fill out, even on a mobile device. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There were limited contractors in my area- SE CT. This is likely at least partially related to thumbtack charging the contractors per quote. They should consider only charging the contractor if the requestor contacts the borrower (or clicks to contact) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multiple household needs- for our wedding we got quotes for flowers, photography, catering. We also used Thumbtack to get quotes for a hot tub installation. Finally, because my husband is a personal trainer, we explored using thumbtack for client origination. Ultimately, it was decided that needing to pay per referral, not per contact, was not cost effective and we did not move forward as a vendor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I use Thumbtack to advertise our company for lead generation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to make a page. Very easy to use and messaging potential customers is simple. I also like that we can display all our work in photos on our page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that false reviews can be made about a company and thumbtack will not delete them, even with proof that they are made up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am only having problems with customers following through. I get a lot of messages, not a lot of appointments. The ratio of messages to appointments being set is very big. Probably the worst of all our lead generation services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OR
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I've used Thumbtack to find a lawyer, plumber, handyman, irrigation specialist, landscaper and others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ease of use in creating projects, the number of contractors available for each project and the reviews for each contractor Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There could be more options for projects and more contractors Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Be specific in your project definitions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've used this service to find several helpful people for projects I have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounts Payable Manager
Hospital & Health Care
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Our company was needing help with consolidating files and documentation to send to an outside storage company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The 3 individuals we found were very quick and proficient. They worked quickly and quietly and got the tasks completed before the quoted time.

I think the reviews that we had discovered while using Thumbtack were very accurate and the individuals we had contacted were very quick to reply with quotes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Although the individuals were very efficient, I would have liked to have had them able to work more independently. They did have to disrupt our staff on occasion in order to get help with certain files.

Also, I don't feel that there are enough regulations in the site. I feel like we had received a very wide range of price quotes for the services we were needing and our requirements were pretty basic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

This is a very easy application. Thumbtack has a huge database of service providers for a very wide variety of fields and disciplines. I really liked being able to easily access people who could satisfy our needs for the project we had. The reviews of the staff in their database seemed to be very accurate and the site was easy to maneuver through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Supreme Commander
Architecture & Planning
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Trying to market a photography business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

After spending $110 a month on this service every once in a while I get a job that is appropriate for what i do Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They take your money and are not at all responsive to any questions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Run , spend your money elsewhere since you will waste a ton of time on this Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A very poor solution to marketing a business Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I was looking for Flood Zone surveyor and then found this Thumbtack service online and used it.

I have to provide some details about my property to the Thumbtack online service so they can look for the flood zone surveyor in my area and also given my contact # in Thumbtack.

After doing all the Initial steps i got a message from Thumbtack that some surveyor will reach out to me soon.

And in few hours i received some more Text from Thumbtack service that here are the surveyor who are available along with their quote information online and contact details as well.

Its a great tool for local service in your area and also has the app for IoS and Android!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Thumbtack is great online service which you can use via browser or the App.

This service easily hook you up with the service provider you looking for along with their contact details and also have reviews from their past.

If some new provider wanted to reach you out for the service you looking for then it will Text you as per registered contact details of yours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Initially when you do not have App for the first time using Thumbtack when a new provider reach out to you for your service Quote then link in the email/message takes you to the Thumbtack site in browser then it pops up a message in browser to open in Thumbtack App but later message goes away and you can look for your service in your local community via Browser.

So if that little message can be fixed then it will be good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Everyone should use it to find any kind of service in their local neighborhood. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Marketing
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Some friends and I started a marketing agency. We were looking for platforms to use to help us get leads, and a friend had said he'd done some side projects on Thumbtack, so we gave it a try. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It seems like there are a lot of people looking for someone to help them with marketing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This is not a place to find quality leads. The people looking for help are looking for expert quality at Fiverr prices. Thumbtack's fees are very high, which means that providers need to charge a decent amount to make back what they paid for the lead. Also, if a lead flakes out and you are due a refund, Thumbtack only provides an account credit and won't actually refund the money to your credit card. This is incredibly shady. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you're looking for a few quick bucks, try Fiverr or Task Rabbit. If you're looking for high quality leads than that, try something else. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OI
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

When I first started my IT service company, Thumbtack was a great resource to get things going smoothly at the beginning. Thumbtack helped keep my sales pipeline active, and created new relationships that turned into much larger opportunities down the line. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's very simple to respond to requests for bids, and that makes it an effective platform for constantly trying to get new sales opportunities in the pipeline. Whether you're a one-man show, or an organization with twenty people out in the field, Thumbtack request are very straightforward and you can respond on the go with ease so even when you're working on-site to respond to a call, you can still be working on your sales activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be easy to receive unqualified leads that cause you to spend credits to bid on a lead that never had any intention of taking any of the quotes; most often it seems like they're from competitors trying to get an idea of the pricing of their competition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Make sure you fill in your profile, and make sure there is plenty of information available. Don't be afraid to (tactfully) suggest to clients found through Thumbtack to leave you a review so others know what they thought of your services. As long as you reply to request in a reasonable amount of time, it's a platform worth using. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GP
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Thumbtack was great for getting more people to see my service but that was about it. I wasn’t really happy with the fact that I got no business from it despite getting inquiries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I did not like this product. Feel like there is room for it to change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Having to spend money and not getting any business from this service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This did not help my work which was very disappointing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Customer Service Manager
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Thumbtack works really well for a company, we have our listing on thumbtack and through that we have got many leads and gigs. It's been a great help to us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use , and real quotes and people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is very expensive, thumbtack takes a lot of cut from the gig. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If your business is new and you have clients, get some real customer to post reviews for you, send requests get it, get yourself a business you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Events Coordinator
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We've used Thumbtack to provide vendors for a Christmas party in the past. Additionally, we have used it to search for vendors for our Farmer's Market. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that it allows you to provide your budget information so that your vendor will be within that without having to go through the back and forth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That sometimes it takes a while to hear back from vendors and depending on your area, sometimes there isn't a lot of response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

It's quick and very user friendly! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

HH
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I used this service to hire someone to come in for an event at our office. We hired them for bartending service at one of our summer events, and it was super quick and easy. This relieved our stress as the people putting on the party. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What I like best is how simple this is to use. I can easily look up categories for what area I need help hiring in and can find someone easily who is local. This is a great way to connect with fellow locals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that, like with any service found via the internet, you do not know the person beforehand, and that can be a bit scary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

I would book in as much advance as possible and give them details about your event so they know what to expect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fifth Grade Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We like the use of Thumbtack because it allows us to do two things. We can look up when we need a service accomplished and also we can post when we have a service we are looking to offer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the accessibility piece and being able to use the internet quick and easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I find sometimes the top rated ones are not always the best and I wish their were more reviews. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

HF
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

A moving company to move our office interstate Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Using Thumbtack brought services to me instead of the other way round, it was great! I only had to make my pitch once, instead of endless calls and wasted time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't noticed any negatives, it's been fast and easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Of Staff
Management Consulting
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Seeking a photographer for new headshots. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Great search functions, is well designed UX. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Still building their database of service providers. I found a handful of providers who met my criteria, but unfortunately they all flaked out and I wasn't able to hire anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

HC
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We had 5 TV's mounted and 4 whiteboards installed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Friendly service and got the job done as discussed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The whiteboard installer took way too long and got distracted too much. He also kept distracting our employees. However, I understand that is not Thumbtack's fault. I did leave feedback for the contractor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Make sure to look at all reviews and ask questions. This service is great for anyone, especially smaller companies who typically do not have specialized roles for random or difficult tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

HE
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Any need that we have we turn towards this platform. Long gone are the days of not knowing if the professional you are hiring is "good." A big factor on whether we go with a service or not has to do with the comments and feedback from former customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The customer reviews are what I like most about this service. It helps me feel like I am getting the full understanding of the service/person we will hire. That way there is not hesitancy on our part about whether it will fulfill our expectations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At times you can tell some of the reviews are "padded." I wish there was more effort to get rid of these and have authentic client reviews only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Citrix Administrator (Contract)
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Used it a couple times for small jobs works pretty well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Really easy to use and the service you get is phenomenal Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I did not dislike anything it worked very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Photographer
Photography
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Thumbtack helps customers shopping around for services connect with professionals and small businesses. Customers request quotes for a particular service and professionals have a chance to respond. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that my business has a presence on a platform that is used by thousands of people every day. People who are looking for a photographer within my geographic region can find me on Thumbtack. I was hopeful this would help drive more traffic to my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While Thumbtack did generate leads, it rarely led to landing a job. In my experience, most customers are shopping around for the cheapest service. Also, Thumbtack has become too expensive to maintain. It used to be setup so that I would purchase a certain number of credits (as many or as few as I like) and use those credits to send quotes to customers with needs that I deemed a good fit. Thumbtack has since restructured their system. Now, they automatically send quotes to customers on my behalf (which I pay for), and I am also charged when a customer responds to my quote. One big problem here is that sometimes, a customer will respond to a quote with regrets (like, "thanks, but I'm going a different route"), and I get charged for that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you want to use Thumbtack to obtain more customers, you will need to monitor your account closely, responds to leads immediately (you are competing with many other professionals), and be ready to pay for leads that don't go anywhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OF
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I hired them to help me move out of my apartment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

That it is very easy to use, and you can get people that are willing to work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think the only bad think is that there could be more services available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OW
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I need several quotes for a tree that needed to be removed asap. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

All the variety of options I have when picking a person to do the job. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Too many emails on a daily basis. They should consider maybe sending just once a week or twice a week. I was receiving email on a daily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Take the time to look and read about all the options and information Thumbtack send by email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Electrician
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Used them to find the best DJ for my daughters 18 bday Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It had all the social media outlets to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at all it was all great. Perfect Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OR
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Connecting with potential clients for business related services and send quotes for project bids Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ability to connect with clients in any location set for all services offered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The system doesn't stay in the geographic location set and show leads well outside of my service area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Be wise in what projects you bid on or you will waste a lot of money Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Thumbtack?

Thumbtack Categories on G2