TestRail

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process.

Work for TestRail?

Learning about TestRail?

TestRail Reviews

Ask TestRail a Question
Showing 149 TestRail reviews
Ravikant J.

"Good Tool to manage Test Run for multiple product/feature"

What do you like best?

The Reporting part for particular test run is Best, which gives idea about the quality health . I can email and download these reports. I can manage lots of features/ releases in Test Rail. I can have multiple test run for a release which gives me liberty to have test run for every environment where my team tests. The integration is also good. We have integrated our automation test runs with test rail which eases our management for daily production test run. I can also manage the users and there responsibilities very easily using Test Rail. It has custom fields too that we can include in our test cases as per need.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be more user helpful . There is no filter or search feature for the projects, I have a lot of projects available and I have to rely on web page search for it. I have not tried the integration with Bug management tool, I hope that would include bug reporting too with the test run available. Automated Test reporting could be there to send reports for a particular health of test run based upon automation rules. I hope Test Rail would work upon this and make this available in near Future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a good tool when It comes to Test Management.

1. Test Reporting is Easy now

2. I can manage multiple Test Projects

3. Uploading lots of test cases is easy now

4. I can go and check any test run quality anytime

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about TestRail
Carlos P.

"Very complete tool for testing management"

What do you like best?

An easy way to create, modify and delete test cases, group them.

In general, TestRail has a very good way to structure, reuse and link the test cases, avoid redundancy and useful way to show the information.

Also, it allows control the test runs, the life cycle of the versión and the reports make this software a great tool for QA.

You can connect it with Jira and you can configure to show the test cases and bugs related between the platforms.

What do you dislike?

I think the big weakness of this amazing software is that when you have a big amount of test cases, it has not a friendly way to do a search and find a specific case in the tree.

Also, I don't like the way allows order the Test Runs, because I have a mix between the automated and manual tests runs, I want to to have them separated but it's not possible and it's confusing.

It needs a read only configuration for users like customers, developer or product owners, currently, you need to give them full access and it is not the best practice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

TestRail is a very good tool that helps successfully you to manage the quality assurance of your software projects. You must try it out.

Allows controlling effectively all the test cases and test runs, to manage the quality assurance of a software.

What Software Testing solution do you use?

Chris S.

"A solid test platform"

What do you like best?

TestRail has seamlessly integrated with our other corporate platforms, specifically Jira and Slack, allowing notifications and links to be automatically connected together. This saves a ton of time when trying to figure out what exactly was tested or what tests were created when QA went through and examined a Jira ticket. TestRail also has some fairly robust customization options that allow you to customize the test case template(s) and the taxonomy for your file structure. It also allows for a lot of flexibility when creating your test suite(s). You can set up one or many siloed test suites and still get the needed information out of a test run or even test the two suites at the same time with a single dashboard.

What do you dislike?

With all the flexibility and customizations comes a lose of some simple quality of life features. For example, I have a test subsection with 50ish folders, there is seemingly now was to sort these, say alphabetically, I have to manually drag and drop them into the order I want. Not a deal breaker but still a drag to do.

Some of the rules around administration are a bit cumbersome for the small 4 person team my company has. For example, there are two types of Administrators, both called Administrator, one that manages TestRail proper and one that manages the individual suite of tests. For a bigger company, I can see the need to split these roles. But from my small team, I'd just like to make everyone a super admin and not have to remember to give update the whole teams rights each time we make a new test suite.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with most things, the level of customization comes at the cost of ease of use.

TestRail provides a level of organization that is not possible without a large amount of manual management. Organizing our test pointed out several areas where our testing was limited or none existent. This was in spite of the fact that we had over 1500 manual tests at the time.

Rick D.

"Using TestRail in an Agile Setting"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and use. Flexible. Reliable.

What do you dislike?

you can't hit enter to start a search after entering search criteria.

When creating a test run, if you don't add one test case, all of the test cases will be added to that run.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely try it out. It is easy and fast to get going with it and you should be able to determine how well it will work for you. Setup sample projects, test plans, test runs and add some test cases. Then execute some of them with various results. Then go back and look at the test runs and see how Testrail gives you a quick status on what has been completed, what remains, what has passed or failed, etc. Then browse the directory of your test cases to see what is there. use the search tool to find test cases, test runs, etc.

Documenting business functionality via the test cases.

Saving testing time with re-usable test cases that are easy to find and manage.

Testing status with easy reporting features.

Jonathan R.

"Good stuff... it does what it needs to do without clutter "

What do you like best?

- Test creation and running is Intuitive for the most part - has a minor learning curve

- clean UI

- the tree structure and ability to restructure, move, and clone tests is the real winner for me; it's easy to create tests with like functionality and very east to find tests and the history of the test, it's defects, records, meta data

- ease/ability to push defects to other management tools like JIRA, Pivotal

What do you dislike?

- want to update a defect ad-hoc without having that test in a Plan or Run

- don't love the reporting, could use some visualization pie charts etc

- reporting and getting setup initially not super intuitive - found the answers online but the need to search for how to do setup of test runs and making reports initially could be better explained in app or more intuitive

- would love to share test cases across projects

- when pushing defects to Pivotal would like to see more details of the test like steps that don't require the user to go to testrail

- test case management and sharing across the company

- graphs on test coverage, defects

- building a idea of the cost of maintaining features and products

- test cases with clear steps and screenshots

- upon sharing the test cases with the greater engineering org they were impressed by the structure and ease of use of the tool

Jacob B.

"TestRail is easy to use, yet it's also easy to customize to fit my team's needs and processes."

What do you like best?

I like the UI and how easy it is to use. I also really like how it integrates in with Jira and other project management tools. I've used several different test case management tools and I feel this one is the best by far.

What do you dislike?

I like how it integrates in with other tools, like Jira, but it's too bad that you can't do more with those TestRail add-ons. With Jira, for example, it show's test results, but it's read-only and you can't edit/add new results. Instead, you have to switch over to TestRail to do all of that, which is annoying. Would be nice if you could at least add/edit test results outside of TestRail. Also, it would be very very very helpful if you could include more than one test suite into a test run. Currently, you can only include one test suite into a test run. That would be the ultimate customization and would be much appreciated!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For us, it helped to just start with documenting our regression suites and use TestRail to help with that and to help us keep track of running through those when needed. TestRail is robust and can even do some really extensive reporting and tie in with automation, etc. Just start simply and evolve from there.

In the past, we never documented our test cases. Therefore, when it came to regression testing, there would be some things missed. Now we document all of our smoke, automation, and regression tests, which helps us not miss anything and helps other, unfamiliar people, jump right in and help out, if needed.

Todd T.

"Software focused tool that can other problems"

What do you like best?

Testrail has a great, adaptable structure that covers 90% of basic tests by needs out if the box. The project containers and ability to copy test cases allows us to take standards- and compliance- based test sets and rapidly create test suites for individual projects, while the Jira integration enables great defect tracking.

What do you dislike?

Although the tool supports good customization at the test case and result levels, there’s less customization in projects, suites and runs. More custom-field capability for those objects would be useful.

Also, although the Jira integration is powerful, it would be great if there were lore user-friendly config tools to ensure all bugs within a project easily routed to the right epic or parent; this is a bit too technical today.

TestRail has helped me manage WA environments in the past. Now we’re experimenting with it as a TCM for our consumer product development teams, mapping it to support a DVP&R process. This is still in beta, but it looks promising.

Monica S.

"Great tool, fast, easy to use."

What do you like best?

Able to quickly add new testcases , with the various means of copying tests. or doing mass edits to a number of testcases.

What do you dislike?

Inability to give developers, and product managers view only access in tools such as Jira. The current setup requires we give them a separate login to see associate testcases to a Jira card. This is bad in a few ways: 1. Another login they would have to remember for a tool they don't really use.

2. Our Development and Product Managers do not, nor will in the future be entering in tests. We want them to be able to simply see the associated testcases with a Jira story card, so they have an idea that we have testcases for it, and get a sense of the amount of coverage. QA is the only one that does any of the other functional things in TestRail.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be clear up front on setup and usage of product, so your users use it consistently and you understand the various features to get the most benefit.

Document testcases, so others who help test we can provide them a list of what to test and the steps to be able to run these tests. Coverage, we've been able to see how much coverage we have ( or lack ) in an area, and has increased our testing coverage. Provides QA a means of quantifying the number of tests required to complete a test card, and provide better time estimates to complete and can give a percentage of work completed at anytime. Overall, gives QA's work more visibility to the team, with the reporting elements that we can provide back to the team.

Damian R.

"Broad reaching, versatile test management"

What do you like best?

TestRail p[rovides a basic, simplified structure for managing tests, and then allows the user to build it out in a way that follows their test methodologies. You need only enter a test once and TestRail allows you to re-use it in multiple ways, to version it, copy it, or modify its contents is a way that it propagates through all the planned testing. If you're using a different solution and want to import those tests, just get them in a .csv file and match up the headings to TestRail. It is an easy import.

It's easy to add new test cases to an existing test suite or transform a manual test case to automation.

What do you dislike?

Some of the customizations require you to write your own PHP (for example) and then deploy it. Some features cannot be customized on the Cloud version vs the local server.

We're using TestRail to track our release testing and ensure consistency in our coverage.

Mike L.

"TestRail is a great tool for managing quality testing "

What do you like best?

TestRail is great at organizing my test cases and suites so that they can be reused quickly and easily. The app is also agile friendly so it's very easy to create a sprint milestone and assign test suites for full test coverage.

What do you dislike?

The standard reporting and dashboard is limited. I find I have to create new reports to get the drill down information I need on test status.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend trying it to see if it meets your testing needs. For my teams it has been an easy and effective and simple tool to help manage the test efforts. The built in reporting helps me communicate my status to the project team and interested parties.

We used to track the test cases using excel. It was cumbersome and not scaleable. TestRail with the integration with Jira allows me to easily manage the test efforts all within my normal workflows. They bi-directional syncing allows me to manage the testing from either Jira or in TestRails. From a testers point of view they too can easily manage the test results. The big win is the ability for a tester to quickly add a new test case. ie regression issue, from within the Jira ticket into TestRail. Test coverage problem solved.

rogelio o.

"Test Rail"

What do you like best?

The system is very robust offering many useful features for organizing testing efforts.

What do you dislike?

The user interface seems to be somewhat outdated. I also do not like the drag-drop functionality for organizing sections and subsections, it is not very user-friendly. I also believe there should be an easier way to navigate back and forth between the various levels. For example when I open a suite it is hard to get back to the suite selection page

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Create a planned structure that you will apply to all suites, sections, and subsections. For example, we have a suite per page or major component, sections for the various functional parts of the page/component, and subsections for the testing areas such as user-interface, validation, etc..

Previous testing efforts required a lot of rework in preparing test plans. Now all test cases can just be dropped into a test plan

Rick C.

"Testrails as Oakgates Quality Management Software"

What do you like best?

The reporting and milestone/test run feedback, and the programmable API's which allow us to to run our automated regressions based on test plans we build in testrails without external user intervention.

What do you dislike?

Testrails could really use much better search capabilities. Once your test suites and cases get large enough it becomes really important to be able to search and aggregate cases together in ways you may not have thought necessary when building up the structure. Currently the search capabilities are not robust enough to make that possible. Something akin to JQL in Jira would be amazing.

Testrails is the complete test plan documentation and reporting mechanism for our software. It has been integrated into our automation framework and is central to our test plan formation, execution, and reporting.

Sasha F.

"Very powerful tool"

What do you like best?

The best part about TestRail is that most of the things (fields, project settings, test cases setup, etc) are customizable to your company's need and specific to a project

What do you dislike?

Would be nice if some areas and features have more explanation and details on what they can be used for, e.g 'Milestones'. What's the benefit from setting it up, etc. A big help would be having more examples in a visual form (like a short video or slides-demo) on how to apply/use some features, how to implement an integration with tools, etc

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a very powerful tool, which keep improving

Clean view, easy to store and update test cases, PM can track a progress at any stage of testing

Alejandro C.

"Best Test Management Tool We've Used!"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to use and give you the control on the workflow, I like that it can be used for projects no matter what size they are, from small ones to big ones you get the full benefit. We integrated TestRail into our development software process in no time as it can be used from other tools such as JIRA, then we have the best of both tools.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have more control over the permissions, we sometimes want to give access to external users and we had to hack the permissions to enable this. Right now is working but it's not something we will be able to extend or scale if needed. Not a stopper right now as we can still share reports right from the tool itself but it could be very helpful once we grow our QA team.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the best tool we found for test management, I like that it can be integrated with other tools such as JIRA so you have the information right there when is needed. I would recommend this tool to anyone that is looking for a Test Management tool.

Test Management has been one of our biggest problems so far. We have a small team of QA that is working on many projects. Having a way to manage all the effort has been more difficult, also to share test documentation using excel or other online tools was not scalable for us.

AC
Administrator in Consumer Electronics

"Best Test Case Management Software Out There!"

What do you like best?

TestRail is the right solution for our company. Our dev team is small but we have a lot of products to manage. While we have some automated testing, we perform full regression testing frequently. We used to rely on spreadsheets to organize everything but with many products, there is no good way to organize this. TestRail has just enough features and customizations to solve our problem perfectly.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more integrations with some of the other products that we use everyday, such as a Slack integration. Also, pulling a simple report (how many test cases passed vs. failed) is a bit cumbersome. It would be nice to have a few popular preset reports that we can just click a link and produce a PDF.

We do a lot of manual regression testing and have historically worked from Excel spreadsheets. After a short while, this grew to be a mess and we began our search for a tool to organize this. Everything we found was either for huge enterprise (ie. $100s a month) or barely scratched the surface on our needs.

Aaron R.

"Testrail is still useful but getting pretty dated"

What do you like best?

I like that i can easily review archived test runs and track our rate of regression over time. DIrect JIRA integration allows me to reduce overhead of re-writing requirements within my test cases.

What do you dislike?

There is no built-in testrail API integration with modern languages, especially node.js + Golang. The web UI is also getting pretty dated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Testrail is great if you're developing a web app in laravel or rails and your QA uses the same language as devs. It plays well with some CI servers (jenkins and other older solutions).

If you're working with a more modern stack (node.js, Golang) or CI solutions (e.g. AWS codebuild), you might consider rolling your own solution with your CI output and kibana/grafana or other metrics+aggregation libraries, as testrail doesn't integrate nicely with newer tech, and you'll end up writing a lot of custom wrappers anyway to get all the functionality you might want.

See 'what I like best' section.

Sean Felipe W.

"replace your spreadsheets + integrate with automation"

What do you like best?

Two powerful features. One, all your spreadsheets can be replaced with a straightforward webapp. Filter, organize and assign test cases from a large regression suite into manageable chunks. Divide the test cases by testers or manual vs automation.

Two, TR has a very useful API which integrates well with an automation harness. So, at the end of each automated test, have your automation make a call to the API to mark a pass / fail result.

TR was clearly designed by people with deep knowledge of real-world QA. Straightforward, easy to use and terribly helpful.

What do you dislike?

TR uses terminology in a very specific way - Test Run, Test Case, Test, Test Suite, Test Plan, and all have important distinctions. It's a bit to wrap one's head around. But, it does reflect the reality of what we do in QA. I just wish we could stop overloading the word 'test'. It's perhaps the most overloaded word in software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're managing your regressions from spreadsheets, you're losing time and therefore money. Switch to TR for sure.

* Stop tracking regression suites across spreadsheets. Spreadsheets are prone to error -- hitting delete when the wrong cell or window is in focus.

* Understand what test cases are covered by automated tests and what need manual work

* Figure out time needed for a regression run, add / subtract steps and know instantly the new time

* Programmatically Mark test results from automation.

* Use Sections to organize test suites for easier visual parsing

Michael C.

"Vehicle Quality Assurance and Technical Services Manager"

What do you like best?

The ability to create custom Test Suites that allow the testing of our various products and equipment evaluations..

What do you dislike?

There are three groups potentially using TestRails in our organization and to have dozens of test Projects in a list gets confusing & distracting - being able to have "folders" for each group would be very beneficial allowing each group their own "area" and to be able to have multiple areas for test suites due to particulars of the "project".

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We use the web based version. It is quick to learn, easy to use and very versatile. we do not use very much of the Reporting capabilities but the TestCase/TestSuite/TestRun capabilities are used constantly in our software build/release process. It is also used extensively when we evaluate new and replacement products.

We install a system into taxis around the US which allows us to process credit cards and manage trips.

When a vehicle or fleet has an issue, , to be able to go back to a testrail report and say "yes, it was working" or "no, it was still an issue" allows us to point back at the individual vehicle having the issue and not our system gives u a big advantage in solving the issue.

Frank W.

"Test Rail Is Awesome!"

What do you like best?

Clean UI, easy to navigate, user friendly, great filter options, great customization options, great API for hooking up automation tests, great report generation.

What do you dislike?

The interface does not allow you to order your test suites or organize your test suites in folders for better organizing. Its simply a flat list of test suites ordered alphabetically. I'd like to see more options there because our team has more than 20 test suites and some are more important than others, many are for automation which clog up the interface.

Mostly automation testing, but with some elements of manual testing. We use it for graphical reports on our automation tests that we can share with the team. The filtering features are very robust and allow our team to get to the bottom of problems quickly. Historical tracking of runs of the automation suites are a great piece of knowledge to have which we didn't have before.

"Helpful tool for organization, tracking, and auditing for QA teams and testing"

What do you like best?

Easy to build up test cases, test suites, test runs, and group them into milestones for history and tracking.

What do you dislike?

No viewer user; not everyone on my team needs full access to TestRail. Be nice to have a user type that allows them to see things without having a full, costly license.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great product and will help you organize your test cases and put them into test runs. If you keep good track of your test run times, you can begin to give good estimates on testing. Just keep in mind who needs access. If you can't afford to include your entire team, then you'll need to figure out a way to share tests and runs with them which hasn't been as straight forward as one might like.

Tracking and history of test cases. Before we kept track of test cases in google docs spread throughout the org. TestRail has allowed us to go back and validate what tests have been run and keep a history of test cases.

"Its one of the best test management tool I've come across"

What do you like best?

It's level of customization allows us to configure the tool so that not only does it fit our process for now, but it will also allow us to grow and evolve in the future. It's level of integration with tools such as Jira and Jenkins is great for team collaborations.

What do you dislike?

I don't think I've come across anything so far that I can say I disliked.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your looking for a tool that does more that test management and are looking for a tool that would not only fit into you current business process, but also support your growth and business evolution. Then I would recommend that you don't look any further, this is one of the best tools I've come across.

We were looking for a tool that would act as a single point of access for all our testings, and the integration with Jira at both the issue and dashboard level just gives us that ability. Also the detailed reporting system allows us to pull out metrics which we can then use to set and meet KPIs. The import and exports of CSV files allows us to further pull out data.

Nicole B.

"Testrail Review"

What do you like best?

I like how you have the ability to create a master test suite with all of your test cases and pick and choose from that master suite into specific test runs/plans. I also REALLY like the defect tracker since we use Jira it is a really nice feature to have. In addition, the Report Summary's are nice in that they give you the ability to choose what items you want to show in your report (defects, test case, etc).

What do you dislike?

I don't like how you don't have the option to create a Default test run/plan and instead you have to "rerun" the test plan that you want to continuously run.

Writing every test plan in google docs takes forever, we have saved a serious amount of time already having our test cases housed in testrails and just choosing which ones we need per software/hardware iteration.

MacKenzie S.

"Simple, useful and easy to use "

What do you like best?

I’ve been using TestRail for about a year not for different projects and clients. It’s easy to set up and modify and replicate test cases. This tool does what you want it to do in the way you expect it to do it.

What do you dislike?

I sought out this product because a client had an export from another company they were working with. I guess the only thing that was not as intuitive as the rest of it was the import when dealing with custom fields. It may be better now though I haven’t had to do it in a long time.

Test case management for multiple environments.

AI
Administrator in Internet

"A great web-based solution for test management"

What do you like best?

As a company that's spread out across the globe we were looking for a web-based solution that sits on a remote server which would allow all team member to access it.

After looking at some different solutions we selected TestRail and never looked back.

The price is great and the features are just what we needed, from test case and test run management to Milestones (that we use for our sprints) and reporting tools.

As an added value it also integrates perfectly with our bug reporting tool (YouTrack)

What do you dislike?

Only things we'd like to see added relate to tools for updating multiple test cases, for example the option to search & replace.

A price that fit our needs as a small company with limited resources along with having the ability for all our users to use the system no matter where they're located

"Powerful test management tool with gentle learning curve"

What do you like best?

Visual representation of test outcomes over time, API allows for relatively simple automation of manual TestRail test suites, integration with JIRA.

What do you dislike?

Clunky case editing e.g. can't drag and drop test steps within a case, can't define own test outcomes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Ensure that your test cases are written with clear, concise steps. TestRail is only as good as the cases you write with it.

After you deploy a test suite for the first time, encourage your testers to test the test cases themselves; they may come across outcome discrepancies you hadn't considered, and they will have to deal with your cases more than you will.

Gives us repeatable QA processes and doubles as interim product documentation.

Reports and graphs give our Dev team a concise snapshot view of how our products are performing.

Learn more about TestRail

TestRail Videos

Learning about TestRail?

* We monitor all TestRail reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.