What do you like best?
- High fidelity, comprehensive web tracking out of the box
- Create new types of events & enrichments to use (not forced into using GA's limited custom dimensions or messy schema-less JSONs of other platforms)
- Great documentation & community backing
- Own your data
- Able to retroactively apply business logic to data and reports
What do you dislike?
- Lack of well supported Google Ads integrations
- Slow release cycle on some enrichment data (e.g. custom referrers, user agents)
- Difficulty of working within Scala to customise the pipeline (no one in our organistaion knows Scala)
- Amazon EMR runner slow & expensive to start for batch processing flows
Recommendations to others considering the product
You'll need to have analysts familiar with SQL, R and Python to make the most of it.
Consider a good dashboarding tool like Superset to help non-technical stakeholders to make use of the data.
Keep Google Analytics around because agencies and even many internal users will be familiar with GA.
If you encounter errors or issues, you can most likely Google the answer or get a speedy response back from the community forums.
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
We help companies plan, build, run and analyse large experiments on their properties - Snowplow is a fundamental part of what we do.
Many testing companies limit themselves to tracking experiments in tools like Optimizely and constrict their analysis to what they track inside that tool. With Snowplow Analytics we've expanded our experiment metrics to optimize for highly bespoke things for our clients such as:
- Decreasing delivery distance for an ecommerce site
- Increasing the variety of fields and values interacted with on a financial institution's calculators
- Measuring site speed impacts of experiment variants on actual users
It also enables us to build and run personalisation experiments for clients which we wouldn't be able to easily build in other platforms (like GA):
- "This place is popular with 24 sales in the last day."
- "We noticed you left this product in your cart, return to checkout?"