Skyward Student Management Suite Reviews & Product Details

What is Skyward Student Management Suite?

Our goal is the same as yours - get the right information in front of the right people at the right time. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. Welcome to a better SIS and ERP experience.

Skyward Student Management Suite Screenshots

Jeff Walker

www.skyward.com
Related Links
Q&A
Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Central Khmer, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Modern Greek (1453-), Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa
Skyward Inc.

Skyward Student Management Suite Reviews

1-25 of 135 total Skyward reviews
JacMuz

"Using Skyward"

What do you like best?

I love how Skyward is secure and accessible at any time. It presents all of my information on hand, right away. Skyward shows student grades and also allows teachers to post information to calendars or on the board. Students can also view past test scores for state or SRI testing.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you need good connection to access or refresh the app-but that goes with most applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Encourage students to download the application on their cellular devices to encourage daily use. This way it is even easier to access and check up o their grades. Also, allow students to make their own passwords and not have them connect to the school's email so that if they forget the password they can reset it on their own.

The benefits are easy access to grades s that families and students can easily keep track of grades and are encouraged to do better and just having the general knowledge of what id going on in the grade book.

"Skyward Student Management"

What do you like best?

Skyward is a very powerful tool that helps our districts perform with ease and efficiency. I love the fact that they are always on top of state-mandated changes (not an easy thing to do). The support staff are outstanding and amazing! And as a user I really like the look and feel of Skyward, but even more I love being able to customize the application to meet the needs of our districts.

What do you dislike?

Um... Maybe that not all the Help documentation has been updated yet? There are still a few documents that show images of the old PaC software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If buying a superior product is not enough incentive, the outstanding support should be enough to convince you. Skyward is an awesome product, and when I have questions the support staff are quick to help and always a pleasure to work with.

The biggest benefit is being able to run multiple school districts efficiently, getting the maximum funding because we are able to accurately report to the state and federal government agencies.

Database Coordinator
Education Management

"Skyward Student Management System"

What do you like best?

Everything! Ease of state reports. I can customize security to fit each user. I am able to create my own student reports to pull exactly what I need. Customer support is usually quick to get back with you.

What do you dislike?

More than one way to do something, it confuses some of the staff.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For anyone considering a new SIS I would whole hardheartedly recommend looking into Skyward. Our district researched multiple SIS's, Skyward provided everything our teachers and administrators were requesting and more. Not only were they within our budget but Skyward was also able to extract our data from our old SIS making the conversion as easy as possible for us.

Our old system was not user friendly, would constantly go down when they had an update (in the middle of the day, with no warning) and no communication. Skyward is very user friendly, we are able to do our own updates whenever we want and communication between skyward and customer is excellent! Their customer support is great!

"Great product, and always innovating."

What do you like best?

The ability to extend the capabilities of the database beyond the already rich environment that exists for collecting student information.

What do you dislike?

The appearance of the product is starting to show its age. While many changes have been done to the functionality and data collection abilities, the user interface has changed little since SMS 2.0 launched. That is going to change soon as the company is rolling out an entirely re-written system that takes advantage of the latest web technology and is being build to allow for more significant changes as the product continues to evolve based on the customer needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't look back. If you fully understand what you want from the system, convey it to your sales rep and see what they can do.

The need for data to be reported to our stakeholders has grown tremendously over the past 10 years. It seems that since we started providing our stakeholders with the information they desire from us that they always want even more. Skyward allows us to be able to meet many of those requests easily or are willing to listed to our needs as a customer and see how we can achieve the desired outcome.

"This Student Information System is top notch! Skyward user for 12+ yrs"

What do you like best?

AWESOME customer service!!! I love the way that all information is connected and accessible. Custom forms make it possible to add any information you may need, and eliminate a TON of paper! You can filter reports to very specific items and have the ability to personalize the information that is pulled for reports.

I truly can't say enough positive comments about this product. I use it daily and can not imagine attempting to do my job without this amazing system.

What do you dislike?

The only major thing I dislike is that I have a ridiculously difficult time getting my staff to utilize this program more! This is due in no part whatsoever to Skyward. This is simply that I do not have the time allowed in my position to do training to other staff.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Customer support is exceptional. The biggest complaint I hear when discussing other SIS is poor customer service. Skyward gets an A+ in this category!

This system has the capability to do so many things, from custom report cards to parent access and everything in between. Love the mobile app, too! Skyward is always moving forward and is very innovative with technology. This system is very easily customized to serve your needs.

Parents can easily contact staff, access schedules, assignments and much more from the comfort of their home, office or via their mobile phone. They can print report cards and check missing assignments.

Skyward is extremely important in facilitating communication between families and the school. It allows parents to access so many things at the tip of their fingers, without having to contact the school and possibly wait for answers. WIth Skyward, we are moving towards going paperless. I'm continually amazed at the things that this system can do and always look forward to seeing their updates and attending or viewing training. .

"Easy to Use Daily"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to put grades in for multiple students and classes as a time. There is a quick score feature where you can place grades in a quick and easy way and see every assignment that you have ever graded. I like this feature because I can grade late assignments and put them in without having to go into each assignment and fixing it manually.

What do you dislike?

Class titles/names can be confusing. It is listed in my Skyward program as Science class 1, 2, 3, etc. This is fine until the class names have to be changed or the schedule changes because the old class name is present while I should be using only the new class names.

It keeps me organized and aware of absences. It is easier to keep up with grades throughout the entire school year with the quick score feature. It is also easy to check on a student's health status and behaviors by going to the student profile page.

"Skyward from a teacher"

What do you like best?

It is convenient that Skyward has many features all in one space/one product. Our school can perform many functions using Skyward that previously were housed in multiple places. Seeing a lot of various bits of information all at the same time is helpful and efficient.

What do you dislike?

Previous to Skyward, our school used a software called Infinite Campus. Switching to Skyward felt like a step down both in look and certain functions. Skyward is a bit congested and confusing and takes longer to find what you're looking for, especially when printing reports. The ease of use could be improved. We have used it almost an entire school year and it just isn't as simple or intuitive as it could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Skyward allows people in education to do many things all in one place. The ease of use and intuitiveness could be improved however.

Skyward allows teachers, administrators, parents and staff to all find information that helps the educational process. Many features are housed in one convenient space. Contacting parents or other staff via Skyward is convenient and straightforward. Communication is vital in the education world.

2nd Grade Teacher
Education Management

"Skyward is quick and easy!"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to navigate when entering in my grades. There are various categories within each subject area. You also have the option to give assignments different weight values, it's all done for you! I also like the option to have charts instantly generated for grade distribution for each subject and marking period. I like how each category is a different color, which makes it easy to quickly glance to see how balanced the grades are. I also like how parents/guardians are able to log in themselves to see their child's grades.

What do you dislike?

I used to be able to use the "Quick Grading" feature, which was amazing! However, it hasn't worked for this school year. I wish there were different shades of each color within each grading category, to differentiate between English/Language Arts since this subject has so many different categories and subcategories. It is not as easy to visually see the graded distribution.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Skyward Student Management Site is easy to use and navigate. If you're looking for an online grade book, as well as: attendance, academic history, and medical information, for your teachers to have access to and use, this is definitely worth considering!

I like how student skyward and business skyward have a similar layout, which makes both very easy to navigate. The business side handles all of the payroll histories, the balance of time off available, and requesting time off.

"Long-Time Satisfied User"

What do you like best?

I like that Skyward is versatile. The software can be used for anything and everything a user could imagine. A user can always learn new tips and tricks no matter if they are new or advanced.

What do you dislike?

I have used the Skyward software for years, and I have not found one thing that I did not like about it! I do hope that potential customers take the time to really compare apples-to-apples when purchasing/switching their SIS.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will not be sorry if you choose Skyward. Skyward Student Management Suite is all-encompassing. It is so flexible that you can use the software in a manner that you probably think is not possible. Stop doing things by hand, and collecting mounds of paper! There is a better way, and that way is SKYWARD! There is no perfect software out there, but Skyward is as close as you can come!

Skyward Student Management helps us be more efficient. We can take tasks that took hours and days in the past, and we are accomplishing them in a matter of minutes. This frees up the users to focus on other important and necessary tasks. Skyward can import/export data in so many different ways, that there is virtually no third-party vendor we cannot use. The data is at our fingertips. With budget cuts at all districts, Skyward has helped in the multiple-hat department for sure. Our users who have many daily jobs to accomplish appreciate the fact that Skyward can help them perform more efficiently. We are able to track data that we had not been able to track in the past. That data helps us make more-informed decisions thus helping us save time and money. Going paperless with Skyward; what a huge impact this has had for our district. We have the information we need immediately, and no filing! All of the information is stored right in Skyward. I can go on and on about the benefits. I really hope that when users are trying to make a decision on what SIS to purchase that they consider Skyward. Make sure to compare apples-to-apples. You do GET what you PAY for!

Special Education Teacher
Education Management

"Lots of Room for Improvement"

What do you like best?

I like that the attendance and the grade book is all under one program. I like that I can see alot of information about each student. I also like that my human resources file is there, so I can see what my salary and time off status are.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things that are too rigid and that there is no way to alter them to fit a person's needs. The gradebook is hard to organize because it is a mix of standards and percentages. There are too many options for viewing and entering grades.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is good if you want a simple program for attendance and grades.

We use it to take attendance and give the students grades. It is nice having them both under one program.

Systems Administrator / Database Administrator
(10,001+ employees)

"6+ years and still loving Skyward"

What do you like best?

Skyward support is the best I've ever encountered in a software product. From quick, live chats, to longer support service tickets, they have gone above and beyond with quality of service and quick resolutions to my questions and issues.

What do you dislike?

Skyward is a bit complicated - but with their excellent support, I'm confident with the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's worth looking. I can't say enough about their support - it's excellent.

Skyward is an all-in-one solution for us. Instead of trying to link disparate services, we have all the main pieces in Skyward. We do link other services with Skyward and have had a great experience doing so. It just works!

"Skyward review"

What do you like best?

I teach music so I see EVERYONE in the school. I like that the kids pictures are able to be downloaded from the school pictures, and a seating chart can be printed with color pictures.

What do you dislike?

Again, seeing everyone as the music teacher, I also have EVERY teacher in my grade book. I don’t like that the teacher’s name is not on the class when it is pulled up. I have 2 schools I teach at, so it is a challenge sometimes to find the class that I am looking for. If the teacher’s name was listed that would be easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

NA

It allows me to give a participation grade to EVERYONE, then go back and change the few individuals who need to be lowered.

Teacher
Education Management

"Skyward for student record management"

What do you like best?

Skyward is super easy to learn and navigate. It is a very straight-forward student record keeping system. I use it as a teacher, so I do not get the full benefit of all it can do. I know that administrators, diagnosticians, support staff, and lead teachers enjoy many more features than I do as a classroom teacher. This is one of the benefits of Skyward. It can be tailored to the institution, and administrators can lock and unlock features depending on personnel using the system. As a teacher, I take attendance, record grades, enter discipline issues, and can see student profiles for contact information. Though there are a few things I wish were more customizable about the gradebook, it serves its intended puprose. I can enter assignments, show due dates, make comments, and enter grades.

What do you dislike?

There are some features of the gradebook that are not customizable and a little frustrating. I would like to be able to move assignments around and group in ways other than date and major/minor categories. I do not like that I can not combine classes that meet the same period but have different course codes. I do not like that I am unable to group students by sub-population within a class.

Skyward has a plethora of features. Our district uses it for student and employee records management. It is an all-in-one package management system that allows for ease of use for both sides of the equation--those entering the data and those accessing the data.

UE

"Our charter school district's experience with Skyward"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that all the different functions that are available and can be added to the Skyward system. Our district went from having multiple systems for daily tasks (credit card reconciliation, time off requests, purchase requisitions, etc) to having Skyward as our "go-to" resource. This has been beneficial.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the user interface and the lack of user-friendliness. We are entering our 2nd year using Skyward and we still have several hurdles that hold back our productivity. First, the inability to edit submitted items -- if there are any changes, that the item must go through the purchase approval queue. Next, we had hundreds of paycheck issues as a result of the data migration from our previous system. For a district that has 3500 employees, this was a terrible first impression. Lastly, Skyward wants to charge our district for every little change. For example, they are are charging a significant fee to change the default signature on our printed checks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I know that many districts in our area have successfully used Skyward for years. However, as a brand new user, I found the entire user interface to be cumbersome and very difficult to navigate. Especially in a world with Apple, Google, and the like, the Skyward system looks like it was created in MS-DOS and hasn't changed in the last 20 years.

We have realized that Skyward is on the right track to improving our productivity. However, if the user interface does not improve then we will likely look for an alternative solution. They already have the "bones" in place for a great system but it's just not meeting our modern-day standards.

"Skyward Student Management "

What do you like best?

The best part about Skyward Student Management's system is the ability to toggle between employee access and teacher access. Employee access gives me direct access to things like my paychecks, time off, etc. The main page of the teacher access is also customizable, which I appreciate.

What do you dislike?

The main thing I dislike about Skyward is being logged out after a certain amount of time. I have saved my log in so that, once I eturn to the page I can click log in without issue but it would be nice if I could keep my attendance up all day.

I have access to student health information, grades, attendance, and contact information. This eliminates the wait time between finding all of the information I need from different sources. It is all available within the same program.

AP
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Could be better, could certainly be worse"

What do you like best?

It's fairy quick, reasonably easy to use. I don't really care for the layout, it's not especially intuitive or easy to find what you're looking for if you haven't had extensive training. I've been using it for quite a while now and there are still times when I can't find something I need easily.

What do you dislike?

The mobile site is atrocious. It's basically unusable.

I mentioned this before, but the layout isn't great even on the desktop sign. It's not intuitive and definitely isn't easily usable for someone who isn't especially computer savvy- which teachers sometimes aren't. I've done some training for our teachers and find that they're not able to easily adapt when coming from another software, but if it's their first student management software they tend to pick it up relatively easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If mobile use is important to you keep looking. If not, this is a solid option. Keep in mind that you may want to provide extensive training on its use since it's...well, not the easiest software to pick up.

I work for a school district. We track all student data using Skyward Student Management Suite. It does make it easier to have it all centralized on a responsive and easy to navigate site.

"Excellent Customer Service and State Reporting"

What do you like best?

I am so impressed with the way Skyward approaches state reporting. It is not unusual for the state to make last minute changes that has everyone hustling to make things work. But Skyward is always right on top of things. I have never had to delay submitting a state report to wait on Skyward. That is just one of the many things that I am happy about with the Skyward Student Management Suite

What do you dislike?

I am completely satisfied with this product

Data quality has greatly improved using Skyward.

UE

"Not a Very User Friendly Tool"

What do you like best?

Once you figure out how to enter in the information, this software speeds up the process of requesting time off and getting expense reimbursement. When you make a request in the system, an email is fired off to your supervisor and they can immediately approve or deny your request. It is much quicker than phone calls, emails, or paper submissions.

What do you dislike?

The system is not user friendly. There are multiple tabs, pop up windows, and technical language that make it difficult to navigate around. Several more seasoned employees in my department who were not very tech savvy had extreme difficulties figuring out how to use it. It’s not a program that is conducive to having users figure it out on their own.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared to offer a lot of training in order to help staff use this software. Once trained though, this software increases communication and efficiency.

This software speeds up the process of requesting time off, being reimbursed for expenses, and increasing communication between employees and supervisors.

High School Social Studies Teacher
Education Management

"Teacher's Review of Skyward"

What do you like best?

Skyward is easy to use and to quickly become a master user is simple. Having the ability to see other family in schools. Being able to customize the profile is really nice and it is actually an appealing interface.

What do you dislike?

Having to switch between different modes to see different information is somewhat annoying but it doesn't affect my opinion that much of the software. The text boxes are small and will not automatically expand when you are typing. Also there are often times when the information isn't concise and you can't see it all without expanding multiple bullet points.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Maybe compiling and joining some information that is repetitive and simplifying the information instead of having to switch between different modes. Also adjusting the text boxes and incorporating a spell check would be helpful. Also making a better mobile app would better suit the teacher on the move. Maybe if we were able to incorporate a feature that would allow the teacher or principal to email the parents immediately when there is a referral in the profile for said student instead of waiting for the parent to login and see the information.

I work in a school environment so there aren't many business problems that is is solving other than managing student profiles and allowing ease of access to teachers.

AE
(5001-10,000 employees)

"What about blended and online programs within a traditional district?"

What do you like best?

I find it pretty easy to use and navigate. I like most features that it currently offers.

What do you dislike?

Lacks the customization needed for online

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It would be awesome to offer districts a "satellite" Skyward SIS, dedicated to managing the unique challenges online programs and campuses currently face (full-time or supplemental). This could be something that other fully online schools could use, and districts who already use Skyward's current functionality for their general campuses could utilize this dedicated SIS for their own online school/campus/program, such as ours. Something that could be used independently of the larger SIS pushed out district wide, yet still reports along with the main SIS for state reporting. Something I mentioned to the people at SKyward more than 4 years ago, but have not heard anything since.

Our teams have partnered to find unique ways to use some of the current features that the whole district doe not currently use. By bending the current features that were intended for other uses within a traditional district or campus, we have "forced" it to work for our online and blended instruction offerings. Sometimes it feels like the Frankenstein affect, however, our district own Skyward department has helped our district's online academy tremendously improve processes to safely house student information in the SIS, as it should be. It makes things doable, but something intentionally built within the program would be ideal and is overdue. We do not need Skyward to be an LMS, we need it to be updated to conform to the student choice provided by districts across the nation as we continue to personalize learning for students.

"Good application for keeping track of grades and assignments"

What do you like best?

As long as the teacher inputs the information correctly, you have a information about your grades, at your fingertips, 24/7

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the student lunch accounts are not managed in this application and we could not, even when they were managed there, pay through the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product helps students, parents, and teachers keep current with the grades and assignments the student currently has in a way that was not available at one time.

It also can be used for mass messaging and student information.

This application keeps us current with grades and assignments. It lets us know about upcoming assignments and tests and keeps students organized and responsible for their own work

UF

"Reach for the Stars with Skyward"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use and management options. The reports are easy to use and generate and the student management is out of this world. I love that this program can make it so easy for parents, educators, food service, and technology to use.

What do you dislike?

It was hard to get used to making the reports that I needed for the first couple of weeks, but tech support was out of this world and now it is no trouble at all!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Probably the easiest software we have used in my 12 years of school food service! Love this product!!

Problems solved include better parent management and ease of use, and the benefits to this include less student debt in our food service department, more transparency, and ease of use for all involved.

Teacher

"Hard to Get to Know"

What do you like best?

I really like all of the information that teachers have access to on each of their students.

What do you dislike?

It took me a while to understand how to use it well. It's not especially user friendly.

I have really enjoyed the access to the academic history of each student. It helps in situation where a student isn't performing as well as I think they could be. I will go an check their progress from other classes and how their grades were before and it has helped me to find out if there is a situation going on at home, in their life that inhibits their best work.

"Great features, hard to implement"

What do you like best?

This program is great for schools to use for student information. There are a lot of options available and after about 1 year of use, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with navigating this system.

What do you dislike?

This program was very difficult to implement in our campuses. We did not have adequate training, which may be why, but the program is not as "user-friendly" as the one we used previously. Also, needs more data that can be linked to your dashboard so that you can get quick access to data without having to run reports.

This does allow those of us at Central Office to view all data for all schools.

"Skyward-might be for you, depending on what you are looking for"

What do you like best?

Skyward Student Management Suite is awesome for taking attendance, putting in grades, sending emails home to parents and students and for putting in IEP information for students.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when working on an IEP, it forces you to open the different pages in different tabs and it does not allow you to work on two tabs at once.

Skyward gives an easy way to send emails to all of the students/parents in a class, it allows you to check student grades and for parents to check their grades as well. It is also easy to communicate the disabilities of my students with their general education teachers

Skyward Student Management Suite Features