* slack integration
* email alerts
* saved searches that create alerts. For example, alert about " deadlock occurred" is useful to get in your inbox/slack channel
* easy to setup/use
* browser interface
* papertrail monthly limit stops collecting data, instead of simply dropping the older data
* very difficult to search for all instances of "X" in the logs, followed by browsing around the area related to "X" every where. Instead, papertrail lets you look at one instance of "X", but then forgets the search condition.
* forces you to create a saved search when you were just trying to have an adhoc search
* it's tended to be unreliable, at times we find ourselves simply logging into the server in question and grabbing the logs.
Probably should look around for competitors, it's not a worlds best product, but it's not bad either. At about $100/month, its kinda expensive for what it is.
makes it easier to track down problems by looking in server logs, thus saving ops time.