OnBase by Hyland Reviews & Product Details

What is OnBase by Hyland?

OnBase is a flexible enterprise content management (ECM) solution that helps organizations manage documents and data to streamline business operations. Integrating with everyday business applications, OnBase provides instant access to critical information when you need it, wherever you are. It is tailored for departments and comprehensive for the enterprise. OnBase gives you what you need today and evolves with you over time whether deployed via mobile, cloud or on-premises. For more information, please visit OnBase.com.

OnBase by Hyland Screenshots

OnBase by Hyland Profile Details

OnBase by Hyland Profile Details

Related Links
Q&A
Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Hyland Software

1-50 of 89 total OnBase reviews
Associate Director
Most Recent OnBase by Hyland Video Review
Student Affairs Assistant

"OnBase: Organization at its best!"

What do you like best?

OnBase makes my job incredibly easy! Gone are the days where I can't find the file I need quickly, or have to search through several folders, or even take a long time to scan multiple documents into a student's file. OnBase's batch scanning and file organization makes everyone's job at our college better. While a student is front of me, I can search their ID and immediately see every document they've ever submitted. Also, while scanning in multiple documents for multiple students, with the "Pre-Index" option, I am able to quickly index over 50 documents in 5 minutes or less. Amazing!

What do you dislike?

I have used OnBase for almost a year and haven't found anything I dislike. You are able to customize this program to what fits your needs the best, and it has been perfect for our college.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely try this. File sharing has never been easier than using this product. A++++ program!

The business problems I am solving with OnBase by Hyland are numerous. This system makes our filing system quick, efficient, organized and easy. File sharing among our colleges is necessary-especially with student transcripts. Once a document is uploaded, searching a student's ID will bring up every document that they've submitted in a minute. It's incredible!

Student Finance Counselor

"Records and Database"

What do you like best?

I do like that you are able to have a person's interactions with your office altogether in one place. It in convenient to be able to see when and how many times they came in or called and who talked to them. It is also nice to be able to open up their record and review the documents all at once.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it takes a long time to load. I also do not like that there is so much on the page for options. All of the options are not very self explanatory so you really need to be trained by someone. I know that is possible but it is just not as convenient..

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this because a lot of people do find it helpful (like myself) and they like the product for its fullness (not me completely). It is a handy tool so if someone is exploring they should give it a go. I do not know how much it costs.

We are having everything for our customers in once place so that we do not need to open up multiple programs. We also can keep statistics of each person and the total amount that we see. It is helpful to have everything in one place and saves time.

Senior Student Finance Counselor

"Southern Adventist University"

What do you like best?

More user friendly with Colleague. I like that you are able to email into OnBase rather than having to print, scan, then upload as with previous systems that we have had. Form creation is another good feature. It has allowed us to better track students, wait times, and track counselor statistics.

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly. The system is difficult to navigate. Finding forms takes a lot of effort to find the student, the documentation that has been uploaded to their account, etc. It is hard to know how to search.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take a class on how to use it.

Efficiency with being able to log scan directly to OnBase

Support Equipment Specialist

"Good Database Solution"

What do you like best?

I like that face that I can create any kind of form I could possibly need. I can reference PO numbers for orders and scan documents that can be referenced as well. It is a very good system and not hard to learn to use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the slowness in which I experience when pulling information and the fact that I cannot view some of my forms or information in full screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend OnBase for anyone wanting one place to store and retrieve documents, however, the system can sometimes bog down and run slow.

OnBase allows us to have one place to store invoices, purchase orders, and checks for referencing payments. We also use it a tool to keep track of actions that need to be taken out in the field by our Regional Managers.

Manager, Records & Information Management (RIM)
Banking

"OnBase makes records management and business process automation easy!"

What do you like best?

The flexibility and features offered in OnBase products. There is so much that can be done to automate business processes and this is by far the most exciting thing about OnBase. This ultimately improves our response time and service to our members who are our top priority!

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of the additional licenses needed for tasks in workflow like approval processes or integrations with external products like DocuSign. I usually don't find out I don't have the license when a business unit needs it for their workflow. I don't like having to respond back that we need additional licensing to meet their needs. This stalls the workflow implementation, adds cost and is just plain frustrating for everyone.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check out Hyland's OnBase Community site. So much information there and everyone is so generous with their time and willing to share their tips and tricks. Hyland has techs on there as well with a wealth of knowledge to share and share they do!

I am currently working on back office business process automation. One of the biggest benefits we have already realized is our ability to connect to our core via ODBC connection with SQL scripts to automate tasks. This is saving us an incredible amount of time. Time that a team would normally have to spend to look up data from our core that is now completely automated.

Business Process Analyst
Oil & Energy

"Fantastic Experience"

What do you like best?

By implementing an AP and HR solution we have eliminated bottlenecks and streamlined the approval process in both solution

We have reduced our staff and have eliminated data entry errors and duplicate entries.

we have reduced paper copy

Request can be created from outlook to Onbase - Notification from Onbase to Outlook is a plus.

Document available on the web and Iphone is also a plus

Tasks are load balanced.

Easy to retrieve documents (using keyword)

custom action are easy to use and configure , help the end user to find documents in Onbase.

What do you dislike?

difficult to say!!! licenses are not cheap! depend on what you want to accomplish.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

great product, easy to configure, easy to adapt for specific needs.

We have started using Onbase in 2013 with our Account payable worklow. Onbase was so a great product that we have decided to create a HR solution.

Now, more than 85% of resumes are received from our website. We have reduced data entry and duplicate work.

With OnBase, It’s now easy to find the right applicant from specific requirements by using custom actions.

The lack of communication between departments is now solved with the Notifications sent, from Onbase to Outlook, to different departments.

With the HR File Cabinet, all documents, correspondences and Forms are now available from a simple click.

Now all information related to an employee is in Onbase in the “Employee Profile” .

UA

"Improving program"

What do you like best?

I use this program to approve the invoices that need 3 way matching. I would say this is not a bad program but you may need to take a class or get to the guidance that they provide. The tool is not a very user-friendly tool but still it works well when you know exactly how to use it. Give it a try and you won't regret.

What do you dislike?

Like I said before, this is not a very user-friendly tool since it needs a good understanding on how the program works. However, if you know exactly in which tap you need to look on for something, you will find it easy and useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would say this will be great if you know exactly how it works - like if you want to reclass vouchers, where you should click on and which blanks you should put the information in. It requires guidance at first but once you get into it, you should find it easier and enjoy working with it.

Since I am still a newbie on this program, I would say this is not a bad choice. I have heard that many companies rely on this program and they do not have any problems with it. I think all you need to do is just to learn how it works.

Interim Security Administrator
Higher Education

"OnBase has been a powerful toolset for our campus"

What do you like best?

OnBase gives us the tools too be able to accomplish our goals. Its much more than a document management system. Its an end to end business process toolkit.

What do you dislike?

Some of the module licensing can be a pain. Its very piecemeal. This can be good if you aren't doing much with the product, but if you're really using it to the best of its abilities it can be a lot of addons.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have their team come demo some of their re-configured solutions on site. Those are your quick wins. Start there to quickly gain support.

We have many offices on campus that are now paperless. It saves time, space, and money. What more can you really ask for?

"OnBase the One Solution"

What do you like best?

The ease of the program and the limitless functionality. There is always a solution and more than one way to do things in OnBase

What do you dislike?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. The program is fantastic and the new features added each year are mostly based on input from users. How great is that!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I looked at seven other document retention systems, the nice thing about OnBase is they do not rely on others to add to their platform. It is all OnBase by Hyland and nothing else.

AP document retention and workflow. Contract Management. The ease of document retrieval whether it is audit time, month end, or someone wants to see several months worth of one vendor. Time spent scanning is nowhere near the time spent looking up, pulling and refiling invoices. Not to mention, departments can do this for themselves, nice.

"Great tool for tracking paper documentation efficiently"

What do you like best?

I work in an office where we are still largely paper based, which can be very cumbersome when a different department asks for documentation or files. OnBase allows us to efficiently share file systems, paper documentation, and make sure everyone is on the same page.

What do you dislike?

Unless you specifically know what you are doing, the interface doesn't seem very user friendly. The tabs don't accurately describe what the actual feature is. It takes new hires a bit of adjusting to figure it out.

OnBase allows everyone to stay on the same page in regards to student and client files. We meticulously document everything, and it allows us to track every interaction, positive or negative, with every department, so we can increase the customer service experience, all while being completely transparent.

AB
(10,001+ employees)

"OnBase a great image solution"

What do you like best?

OnBase is a great way to store documents and retrieve them to get yourself into a paperless environment. They have workflows setup to minimize use and maximize production.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I could say is a dislike would be that upgrades are a bit of pain, because our system is so big. They just take a while to setup and do lots of testing before bringing it in to production.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

A great system to help you get into a paperless world. Great service and helpful techs.

We have minimized our paper invoices, we can give visibility to our branch locations to pull up images and see invoices at their respective locations.

UE

"Onbase meets our needs"

What do you like best?

The digital employee files have been great for our district. it is simple to use and the implementation was smooth. I appreciate the customization available and how it can be further developed to meet our districts needs.

What do you dislike?

We recently upgraded versions and the current verison does not run with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. It is only compatible with Adobe reader. This is a huge disappointment for our district as we work in Adobe Pro daily accross other platforms. Onbase crashes consistently, after just spending a few minutes in the program. We changed to adobe reader as the default, so that solved (many, but not all) of the crashign issues, but causes huge headache in other platforms where we rely on Adobe Pro to edit and modify and combine PDF documents. I'm not sure why the latest verison does not run with Adobe Pro. If this was presented to us initially, we would not have purchased this product due to our high use of Pro.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to test Onbase with all your systems. Does not work with Adobe Pro.

Our employee personnel files are digital - it is so much easier and faster to file and retain. Onbase is FIPS compliant with state and federal security standards.

"OnBase"

What do you like best?

I like the direct upload feature of OnBase, it makes the process much easier than having to save each document.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't start typing a name (of a client) and have it autocomplete. There is no way for that to happen. Instead, I have to either scroll through the list of names, or use the Custom Query function.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a very robust tool - I recommend you have someone on your staff who understands all it has to offer, or you won't be able to take full advantage of it.

We store all of our documents securely and have a great system to find documents. We're learning more as we go, and are planning to start utilizing the template letter function next. That will save us a lot of time.

AH
(5001-10,000 employees)

"A full feature software capable of anything with the right module"

What do you like best?

This software is capable of well beyond normal content management. In addition, it is able to be used across the company supporting multiple business silos. Currently, we are using it in HR AP and general clinical use. Once OnBase is inside your corporation a creative system admin will be able to find never ending uses,

What do you dislike?

Modules so many modules every single one of them cost a bit more. A typical process goes the company wants to use OnBase for task x. OnBase sales oh yes we have the perfect solution. Great let's build it, sales okay we just need these six new modules. Each module will have its own licensing and own support which gets old.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it. It is a great product just make sure you are careful with what modules you will need.

We have got rid of so much paper. We use it for HR to keep track of all the new employee paperwork. In addition, we use it to speed AP approvals keeping the entire system digital and streamlined. Lastly, we handle all digital faxes indexing each to its appropriate location.

"My experience with onbase "

What do you like best?

I have liked using onbase at work. It was pretty easily to learn to use, it only took a couple weeks to get the hang of using on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

Really my only complaint is that very occasionally I’ll come across a document that won’t load in onbase. It likely has more to do with the way they’re uploaded to onbase than the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have not used an alternative but I would recommend onbase to those considering it.

Onbase is used within my office to access our borrowers’ documents from any location. This allows us to process applications quickly and remain organized.

Analyste-Programmeur Système de Paie

"Admin, designer, developper and more..."

What do you like best?

Workflows are so easy to configure, import and use.

The search are fast and accurate

Outlook integration is definitely the easy one client.

The Unity Client is intuitive and very customizable for all kind of user.

The community is so huge, you will always be answered.

They are inline with their customer and try to elevate the product in the right way.

What do you dislike?

The DMCoreX scripting and the lack of information with D.I.P process (Document Import Processor)

Some licensing are expensive.

For the rest, when something is not good usualy you can do it differently.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a nice and easy to use product. The no coding effort is very efficient and you development team can built amazing stuff in very short amount of time.

I recommand it.

We put in place an Invoice Workflow that help routing and validating information before they put it into our Line of business application. No need to move document desk to desk.

Records retention
Civil Engineering

"OnBase as a Solution"

What do you like best?

Coming from a background with Documentum and Aconex; OnBase is a totally different way of viewing document processes. It is versatile and can do amazing things, and there is a ton of training offered at all different levels. I like that end users see the "folder structure" they are accustomed to, and I like that they aren't actually folders, but custom queries dressed up as folders.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the huge jump it may take for an end user to "get" it. And this may just be me-in all fairness the end users just want it to work and really don't care how, as long as it is fast and reliable.

We will be utilizing work flows and custom retention periods for documents.

Student Finance Counselor

"OnBase review"

What do you like best?

I like capability of the system to handle a large number of different documents and also to be able to create new documents through the "forms" section.

What do you dislike?

The layout is bad and confusing - not intuitive - looks like developmental software, not user-ready

Recommendations to others considering the product:

UI should be update

We are using this as out document imaging service as well as using the forms function to keep track of voicemails

CI
(10,001+ employees)

"Implementing OnBase with Clients - Consistently Satisfied"

What do you like best?

Since Hyland acquired OnBase, the organization has been headed in the right direction. The support is strong, the implementations are improving, and so is the software. The quality of the integration and file structures is really dependent upon a strong relationship between the customer and OnBase. It's essential that you work closely with your implementers.

What do you dislike?

The software is still a bit clunky and it's integration points are not always clear to the end user. Some instances of OnBase are old and outdated. OnBase could do a much better job ensuring that customers upgrade to the most current workflows and best practice recommendations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to align your project timelines that OnBase sets forth with your primary EMR implementation - OnBase is strong, but testing and training/adoption is key!

Revenue cycle redesign with EMR, practice management + scanning with OnBase.

"OnBase Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of access of using OnBase for searching, storing, and uploading documents. I have the option of using a desktop and browser option.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how long it takes for the software to load on my desktop.

We use it for storing confidential paperwork and reducing the amount of paper we have lying around our office.

"Great! "

What do you like best?

I like the feature included in Outlook. It's still fairly new, but it'll be nice to have it readily available.

What do you dislike?

I'm still getting used to searching, so it's not as easy as I'd like. But, once I get used to it, it'll be fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to get recommendations from companies using this same system in your area of business, that's what helped us decide.

We are being more efficient, because we are not printing and then scanning into a system. We are taking from email, or electronic form and moving it into OnBase.

Assistant Vice President, Applications/Business Suppport
Financial Services

"Hyland OnBase is a wonderful product."

What do you like best?

It is a full Enterprise Content Management solution. In regards to storage, manipulation and retrieval of data Hyland has covered almost every base and provided dynamic and very usable solutions. It is very easy to integrate this product into your day-to-day process and make it an integral part of those processes. I'm also very pleased with the support and relationships that we've formed with the Hyland support staff and our representatives. They are very easy to work with and extremely helpful in every situation we've approached them with. I consider them a vendor of choice and would highly recommend them to anyone considering an ECM solution.

What do you dislike?

At this point, nothing. Any negative comments are more related to our usage of the product versus the vendor themselves.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Their solution can be tailored to your industry by offering specific products that fit your needs. Hyland can also recommend solutions for areas where you may not have immediately recognized needing a solution.

When we purchased OnBase, we were an extremely paper based organization. There were also a lot of manual processes in place that required dedicated personnel and hardware resources. Implementing OnBase and also using the inherent features of the product has allowed us to severely reduce the flow, backlog and archival of paper. Additionally the workflows have helped to automate many of the manual processes and free up resources to work on other tasks. As our familiarity with OnBase increases and also our comfort with technology, we have plans for even more uses of the OnBase product and further integrating it into our business processes.

System Administrator
Higher Education

"OnBase is more than you may think..."

What do you like best?

My initial exposure to OnBase was as a user of the Enterprise Content Mangement features. In reality, it has become my single platform to manage content, processes and workflows.

What do you dislike?

I have found nothing that I would classify as an item or issue that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Based upon user needs, if compared to my organization, I would absolutely recommend this product and service.

Proper routing of client documents through the organization with specific attention to defined business processes of several business units.

Automating this routing and being able to track where the document is in the process at any time.

UG

"OnBase, how did I survive without you?"

What do you like best?

I like the ease and simplicity of retrieving documents using this software. I work for local government and we have had many scanning/indexing applications before and OnBase is by far the best. I scan the documents as a .tiff so the entire document is text searchable.

What do you dislike?

I would say that I dislike the indexing values. For instance, invoices are filed by the company name, invoice number, and date and it would make it easy to add a line for the subject as we have many of the same invoices but for different projects. I wish there were more subfolders within the file cabinet also.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

g

I have realized that I do not have to dread when my boss asks me to pull a contract, letter, etc. because instead of in the past when it would take me thirty minutes to an hour, now it normally takes me ten minutes max to find whatever it is he is looking for. He is much happier with me and I enjoy the retrieval of documents for him.

Graphic Design, Web Design, Art Director, Creative Design, Prepress, Xerox Digital Print Specialist
Hospital & Health Care

"Provides information that can be shared and updated among several users"

What do you like best?

Project notes, cost tracking and ability to attach upload and download files for updating and sharing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be very time consuming updating notes/files with multiple screens.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the training in order to use several of the features.

Sharing information with multiple users. I is a nice to b able to do multiple function for cost and project management and to be able to share and update several job files.

"Good for quick access"

What do you like best?

This software is great for uploading documents and linking to accounts so other users can quickly pull up and see what we have for the client.

What do you dislike?

It is slow to boot up (which I assume is because it's connecting multiple users to one larger data storage

Each user has to be granted access and sometimes it's very finicky what exactly you can and can;t do with your access.

Network /Telecom Manager
Insurance

"OnBase has been very stable and has a very broad feature set."

What do you like best?

OnBase has the capability to store documents in two locations for redundancy purposes, a primary and secondary storage disk or platter as Highland refers to it. IF there is a problem with file access there is always another file online on the secondary disk as OnBase synchronizes the two instantaneously. The administration of users and groups is very straight forward and simple to use. Furthermore the database saves configuration information of OnBase and retains a small footprint of so much data.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that has been an issue is the way that OnBase manages the licenses. It is very difficult to tell how and who is licensed for a specific license type in a Citrix environment. Even though OnBase is Citrix compatible, there are areas where you cannot tell when a specific user locks the database. When troubleshooting this can be a difficult area to deal with, however when we were running OnBase in a traditional client server model, there was exact references for licensing, it wasn't until we moved to the Citrix environment in which we noticed this item. Hopefully the newer version will better mange and display licensing information, we are currently on OnBase 12.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to take the OnBase administration and Work flow training prior to deployment as it will assist in everything that you do from that point forward. Do not wait until after the deployment as it will only cause delays.

We have specifically improved our business workflows in Claims and Underwriting departments. The utilization of OnBase workflow has improved our productivity exponentially compared to that of a manual workflow process. In addition OnBase has a feature named the Virtual printer driver which also allows a user to scan in an image and select the workflow queue that it needs to be assigned to, whether it is a user or department queue.

This has increased productivity for our business units.

System Administrator - OnBase Administrator
Government Administration

"Allowing Gilbert one place to input and retrieve digital documents and files"

What do you like best?

The training, support and assistance is what makes it work for us. We have quite a few modules and all of them are starting to be utilized by different departments. Because we’re required by law to make documents available

for public record requests. The module Advanced Capture allows us to quickly get our records into OnBase without manual indexing, so they are secure, backed up and available.

What do you dislike?

There are not enough OnBase administrators to get to all the requests for new document and procedure set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Map out needs, but start with simple imports and scans. Once the documents are in OnBase it is easy to add keywords, foldering, cross-references, records management, document retention. The biggest value is retrieval of the digital documents.

As the town improved its efficiency, officials developed more innovative ways to

use ECM, including OnBase Advanced Capture. Staff members scan in documents

and OnBase automatically indexes them based on predefined keywords, speeding

up processes.

In the finance department, OnBase improves AP processes. Staff members save

hours of their time each week because OnBase automatically imports checks

from other business systems and indexes them by invoice number, check number

and amount.

Human Resources also benefited from the town’s OnBase implementation. Staff

members use their existing records management system, Eden Financial Management,

to maintain records for all town employees. Although Eden managed

employee folders, the actual folder containing all employee-related documents

were physically stored in the department.

Without any expensive custom coding, OnBase seamlessly integrated with Eden

to streamline the process. “Retrieval of an employee folder now consists of

double-clicking on the employee number when they are in Eden,” Richardson

says. “Before, it required requesting one of the clerks to find and pull the file and

return it when done. When employees started seeing they could pull up

employee folders from right there in Eden, it was an ‘aha’ moment.”

Customer Service Manager
Insurance

"Excellent resource to build a "central source of truth" - Enforces standardized work"

What do you like best?

It has enabled our organization to share work across regional offices, and to access and work from the same information. The history feature is extremely useful as a manager - it maintains an electronic record of every view, edit, etc. of a document, making problem resolution and employee accountability issues much easier to manage. It also enables us to be extremely nimble in adopting business process improvements. We don't have to go to the IT department and submit a request, write specifications of the request, wait for budget, executive planning, etc. in order to execute change. This has made it very easy to get end user buy-in and a sense of ownership in processes - they see they can ask the "is there a way to..." question and we talk through it, and the change can be implemented the next day.

What do you dislike?

Inability to maximize efficiencies with interconnectivity between our in-house applications. Hyland does offer licensing and certification for this (API), however my organization is unwilling/unable to justify the cost of obtaining and maintaining the certification required by Hyland.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Our support is through a vendor that sells Hyland's product. I do not directly deal with support issues, as I contact my administrator if I have problems with OnBase. My experience, however, has not indicated that he had trouble finding support when needed.

Currently we're implementing a new workflow for our prospecting/quoting process, where OnBase will house the documents related to that activity. We'll be able to report on turnaround times, etc. much better in the future. We're also looking at adding processes related to a new product (how we use OnBase to serve as a repository for that information). This is the last of the 4 major processes that we had identified as needing to be "electronic", then I expect that we will continue to focus on smaller processes within the business. As far as what we've realized- a lot of it is not quantifiable, but we no longer have mass e-mails sent out at Home Office asking "I'm looking for the file for XYZ client... if you have it can I borrow it...", we no longer have information integrity issues where a rep in Michigan is using information from her file but changes had been made just last month. We no longer have to wonder about where items are in a given process - there is complete transparency about where something is, how long its been there, etc. We recently made some adjustments to one process which is expected to decrease throughput by at least half, delivering better service to our clients.

AF

"My OnBase Review"

What do you like best?

The ease of transition from paper to electronic as new users would say. The system is very user friendly and workflow by far has been a life changing tool. The ROA is amazing.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes are not with the system per say but with the re seller, but not at the technical level (my technical support is amazing) but at the sales level.

We do not currently have any business problems, just a lot of workflow plans and not enough time to get them started (due to other work related duties)!

Data Technology Consultant