OmegaT

3.5

OmegaT is a computer-assisted translation tool written in the Java programming language.

Work for OmegaT?

Learning about OmegaT?

OmegaT Reviews

Showing 14 OmegaT reviews
OmegaT review by Scott E.
Scott E.

"efficient"

What do you like best?

I can get right to my work and get it done without a lot of bureaucracy, and without screen clutter. Once you learn to use it, it's very practical and efficient. Also, it doesn't crash or freeze up like other CAT tools.

What do you dislike?

Most translation agencies don't use it, which means that I often don't get the chance to use it when I want to for projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Like any CAT tool, it takes some time to learn. And not all the features are immediately visible. But it works great.

It does what I CAT tool is supposed to do. I've set it up with glossaries, MT, and my TMs over time to work accurately and efficiently.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about OmegaT
OmegaT review by Jason C.
Jason C.

"Great for best matching, in an outdated but secure UI"

What do you like best?

You can tweak this tool to do what you want it to do. There are countless plugins and tools to help increase matching, TM manipulation, preferences, etc. When I really want to see how a TM or glossary will perform, I use OmegaT so I can adjust everything from segment rules to numerical conventions as needed. Though I support cloud tools, if you really have to be locked tight and secure, I think this Java-based desktop program is easier to assure security depending on what you do with your PC. If you like working through command-line, options here. Dependable.

What do you dislike?

UI needs to be updated, not just to look nice, but to offer more options to budding translators, remote freelancers, chromebook/dex/new tech users. For the most part, a single person's PC wired to their home wifi is way more vulnerable than cloud services which rely on netsec teams and tools to protect data, so the security advantage is mostly gone now. For my current purposes, translator-turned-inhouse-projectmanager, the lack of project management flow/organization is prohibitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

ITS FREE TRY IT

I use it when I want to analyze TM or glossary performance at a very granular, linguistic level.

What Computer-Assisted Translation solution do you use?

OmegaT review by Bartosz M.
Bartosz M.

"A good basic help in simple translations"

What do you like best?

You can set up your projects quickly and use *.odt files.

The standard line-by-line translation is more or less sufficient but sometimes breaks longer sentences, especially if they use different formatting.

What do you dislike?

The complicated plugin settings. I usually end up not using any extensions and wasting the theoretical power of this tool.

It's difficult to get used to the interface and OmegaT's mechanism of work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to prepare for a battle to get to know OmegaT - it takes some time to get used to it - it's not intuitive.

I can translate my projects quickly, line by line. It's efficient, so I don't waste time.

It's a good tool to start your translation, but you'll end up editing your translation using different software.

OmegaT review by Thomas Z.
Thomas Z.

"The Superior Open Source Option"

What do you like best?

Flexibility and customizability

Unbeatable price

Open source

Active community

What do you dislike?

Lacks some of the advanced features of industry standard paid CAT tools

Must be relatively fluent in coding in order to fully take advantage of all of OmegaT's features

The user interface isn't quite as attractive as some of its competitors

I have used OmegaT as a freelance translator. OmegaT is a wonderful CAT tool for those who are just cutting their teeth as translators. It is a free, open-source program with a vibrant user community that actively works to improve the program and utilize the source code in new ways.

OmegaT review by Marco C.
Marco C.

"Nifty and powerful multiplatform translation tool"

What do you like best?

I've been a SDL Trados user for many years, since I decided, together with my business partner, to move to open-source software. OmegaT is a very stable program: I've been using it for many years and I've experienced just 2 or 3 crashes, mainly caused by lack of resources of my system. OmegaT is very fast, with lots of advanced features. The greatest proof of appreciation is the fact that I've based my professional life on it. I use it on a daily basis to earn my living as a technical translator. A key feature for me and my company is the "team project" feature, that allows several translators to work together on a project in real time.

What do you dislike?

In a word: nothing. Of course there are a few missing features, such as a "status" field for each translation unit, but I know from the user forum that they're working on it. New versions are regularly released, so it's quite likely that in a few months from now the software will be even more complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend not to stop on the surface. The GUI of OmegaT might be not top-notch, but that's because it's essential and tries not to become the bloatware that many other cat tools have become.

I'm using OmegaT as my standard computer-aided translation tool in my daily business as a technical translator. Being open-source and multiplatform has given me 2 main advantages: I'm free from a proprietary license, so I can use the program on as many computers I want, and I'm not bound to a specific OS, I can use OmegaT on Mac, Windows and Linux exactly the same.

OmegaT review by Charles Bowen S.
Charles Bowen S.

"Almost perfect, but..."

What do you like best?

This translator is very useful and reliable, I use it as my daily-translation tool, and sometimes as my professional-translation tool. It's fast, accurate, and has a huge vocab library.

What do you dislike?

This program is lack of real-life experience, you sure can trust it translate important files for you, but daily-life is a little too "dictionary", And the word report system's responding is a little slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program has amazing accuracy and many features others don't have. It's cloud and go live feature are appreantly, very tempting.

It can translate business files and resumes with professional languages, with high accuracy.

OmegaT review by Administrator in Translation and Localization
Administrator in Translation and Localization

"Good tool, but poor UI"

What do you like best?

advanced QA options, high file compatibility, can be used on Linux

What do you dislike?

poor UI, and takes a lot of time to adopt and train inexperienced users

Recommendations to others considering the product:

have thre right people implement it and train your users right and all should be fine

mostly processing of XLIFF files

OmegaT review by User in Internet

"Very good"

What do you like best?

- it runs on Macintosh and Windows

- the editor is easy to use

- it's free and open source

What do you dislike?

- the folder system requires some practice

- some file types are not supported

Translation with a free software without having to spend a lot of money at the beginning.

OmegaT review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

"A good CAT for beginners and for those wanting more flexibility"

What do you like best?

It's clean, fast, light, easy to use. Its windows are intuitive and easy to configure.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to work with bi-columned files. If you open a sdlxiff, using a filter, you can't see what is already translated in the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. It's free and amazing.

As a translator, I find it a good CAT Tool. I use it for some jobs, because it manages TMs easily and seamlessly.

OmegaT review by User in Luxury Goods & Jewelry
User in Luxury Goods & Jewelry

"2 Thumbs Up"

What do you like best?

It's a very useful and reliable translator and is a tool I use often both for personal and business. It's fast accurate, easy to use and contains a large library.

What do you dislike?

The folder system is not a user friendly as I would like and it takes time to figure it out. Also, some files types are not supported.

Ability to translate both business and personal documents quickly and accurately.

OmegaT review by Maurizio V.
Maurizio V.

"Good, but can be better"

What do you like best?

Easy access to Translation memory and search fuzzies

What do you dislike?

Don't like layout and it has too big size for my old pc

I am able to work faster

OmegaT review by David L.
David L.

"Translator"

What do you like best?

I can translate my projects quickly, line by line. It's efficient

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It did everything I needed it too

Easily translate projects

OmegaT review by User

"Open source translation tool"

What do you like best?

This computer assisted translation (CAT) tool is a good option for those who can’t afford expensive software.

What do you dislike?

It’s a lot more basic and not as seamless as paid tools.

Being able to implement conputer assisted translation without the investment.

OmegaT review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"I performed a technical medical translation with the software."

What do you like best?

The design makes it easy to achieve consistency.

What do you dislike?

The commands are not so well organized on the platform.

The tool helps me to deliver accurate translations more quickly and easily.

Learning about OmegaT?

* We monitor all OmegaT reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.