3.4 out of 5
Do you work for HostGator?

HostGator Reviews & Product Details

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a global provider of web hosting and related services. Since being founded in a dorm room, HostGator has grown into a leading provider of Shared, Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated web hosting. Our guarantee to you: 24/7/365 Support Our support staff is available 24/7/365 to assist you via Telephone or LiveChat with any hosting-related questions. 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee Try our services at no risk! If you're not completely satisfied, you can cancel your hosting plan within 45 days for a complete refund. 99.9% Uptime The availability of your website is our top priority. We stand by that fact with our uptime guarantee!

HostGator Screenshots

HostGator Reviews

1-50 of 87 total HostGator reviews

HostGator Reviews

1-50 of 87 total HostGator reviews
HostGator review by Angela B.
Owner/Makeup Artist
Consumer Services

"They have helped this newbie so much!"

What do you like best?

I really fell into webdesign and new I wanted to have a place to host all the sites. HostGator was running an AMAZING special for Wordpress sites so I bit. It is the most affordable and easy program to use. Their customer support is ALWAYS very helpful with all that I need. I've even messed up a site that they happily corrected for me. PLUS they always send me information to help me learn what to do and what not to do.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It helps to have some experience with hosting providers with any of these. However, HostGator does a great job of helping us newbies!

I needed a place to host everything. I was using another person and also GoDaddy and it was so hard to get things done. Emails and searching got really frustrating. Now I have it all in one place and it is easy to manage.

HostGator review by Sue C.
Small Business Consultant, Social Media Consultant, WordPress Website Designer & Consultant

"Disappointing, Unreliable, Poor Investment"

What do you like best?

If asked 3 years ago what I liked about HostGator the list would have been long. I dealt with them for roughly six years with no complaint. I no longer refer/recommend clients to HostGator.

What do you dislike?

I used HostGator for several years before they started to go downhill, in my experience. Over the past year, I've moved twenty plus WordPress websites away from the HostGator platform for a number of reasons. #1 I no longer trust or have confidence in the product or services they offer. Their marketing is top notch, their delivery on the shared server hosting side less so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Double check their cash back policy and what they are offering for their services. In particular, areas like what version of PHP is offered with their shared hosting and is it the most current or dated. Beware that trying to cancel your hosting 4 months into a 3-year hosting package will see you forfeit the full amount you paid with no refund. This is true on first purchase and on renewals. Know before you buy that you will be committed to the plan for the full term.

I am no longer solving any problems with HostGator.

HostGator review by Ashish K.
Java Developer

"Good Hosting Provider!"

What do you like best?

Hostgator provides different plans for domain and shared webhosting which is quite good as you can pick based on your need. we are using their "Business" plan as it provides us unlimited website and unlimited space to serve our large number of clients. They too have domain service which is good but i fell costly. Their email service and SMTP servers are good to work on.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is an issue for me as i think it is slightly overpriced that go daddy and bluehost. Rest all i feel is good to go.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a very good customer support and it really helps if you are new to the tool and website. I suggest everyone to try hostgator awesome service.

We as a team work on various websites so we need to host multiple websites inexpensively and simply. Our clients usually ask for unlimited email accounts for their team members which we can get easily from Hostagtor.

HostGator review by Sean N.
Reputation Management Manager

"Great for Beginners "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use and clarity was my initial draws to Hostgator as I was able to secure domains quickly and roll out a website right away. The price is also a great factor.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the service kinda puts the user in a box and if you want to expand and really use the service for your business you may have to consider looking else where. I have yet to get to that point so it works for me. Not many dislikes to be honest.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would make sure it's the right fit for your needs but provides the basics. I would recommend if you have done your due diligence.

The only problems that I have experienced were brought upon myself for the lack of domain knowledge. The customer service has always be available for any promble.s

HostGator review by Dheeraj M.
Senior Software Developer
(10,001+ employees)

"Best Web Hosting Provider in the Market"

What do you like best?

We have a Online coaching website which we are hosting on HostGator. Their customer experience is too

good and they provide immediate and effective resoltuion to query. Their hosting plans are also cheap. They also provide domain service and SSL Service. Their speed of the servers are too good and website loads in less time compare to other service providers. They provide 5 free email accounts for every domain pruchased/.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they have a downtime which lasts longer than usual and your site is down. Purchasing and renew of the domains is costly. Other than these two things I don't find anything unusual.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try their service and you won't be disappointed, you may face some issue in the uptime other than all worked good for us.

We are using their service to host our website with a 3-year plan. Their service is good and it works really well for us. sometimes our shared web servers works really slow and that disappoints us but other than that all are good.

HostGator review by Kim S.
Graphic Designer
Machinery

"Easy Web Hosting"

What do you like best?

We have several of our websites hosted with HostGator and have had very few problems. We have only had issues once or twice over the past several years were able to resolve them quickly and painlessly. The program is very user friendly, especially for someone who does not need to access it very often.

What do you dislike?

We may be taking on a bit much trying to handle this on our own. If you are not savvy to the world of web hosting, it can be a bit confusing at first and there are a lot of settings you can "break" your website with if you aren't careful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend HostGator to others, for a fair price, you have access to everything you need to control your website. We have several websites and are able to have them grouped together to renew at the same time which is much easier than keeping track of them all separately.

We like having our hosting with a different company than where our domains are registered. Even if our website is ever hacked, our domain should be safe.

HostGator review by Sinari D.

"Good, affordable web hosting"

What do you like best?

I love that I can host ALL my websites in one place without paying an arm and a leg. They have many affordable tiers, with options to pay yearly or monthly. We use the shared hosting which allows us to have unlimited domains (many other companies limit you to just a couple) and so we can host all our websites under one account. We switched to them from Lunarpages years ago partially because of their excellent customer service and partially because of their security features (one of our websites was hacked and they were able to clean it up for us without charging an extra fee, which Lunarpages wouldn't do).

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything really. We have been happy with Hostgator since we switched to them years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have any questions get on their online customer service chat. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions quickly.

I am able to host multiple websites inexpensively and simply. Everything is under one roof, so to speak. Having unlimited domains means I can add more websites as I need to. I also have unlimited email addresses, so I can create email addresses for everyone in my group under any (or all!) of my domain names.

HostGator review by Adrian S.

"Above average"

What do you like best?

i used hostgator shared hosting because they were popular and many people recommended them. i have to say its better than most of the hosting companies out there. the speed of the servers are great and website load pretty quickly. the pricing is also moderate and they even offer a one cent trial with which you can host your website for a whole month, a great chance for those who want to try their service. the billing is also great and pretty straight forward. the suite which can be easily setup with the domain was really useful and cheaper from many competitors in the market.

What do you dislike?

email spam is huge and i used to get many promotional mail's from them which is kind of irritating. the pricing is moderate but you can find similar services offer for way cheaper. sometimes the support takes a lot of time to respond and just put you hold. once i got my website hacked and there was nothing left, no notifications or anything.another massive problem is faced was with the email system which stopped receiving emails suddenly and was really frustrating. the interface is really confusing until you get used to it. additional domain registrations are costly and you can get them for way cheaper in the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

when coming to shared hosting this is one of the most popular options out there. the servers are average and prices are moderate. i highly recommend you to take the free trial before making payment.

host websites and manage them. the servers are fast but isn't the cheapest service in the market. if you want to register more domains go elsewhere.

HostGator review by Brent R.
Owner

"Inexpensive hosting option for a small business or non-technical person"

What do you like best?

The low price for shared hosting makes HostGator an attractive option for businesses or individuals that are looking to host a simple website and private email server. Considering the price, uptime is decent, customer service is acceptable, and cPanel access makes it relatively easy to configure everything you need without the expense of hiring a systems administrator.

What do you dislike?

Customers that want to deploy more sophisticated backend operations will be sorely disappointed by the limitations placed on shared hosting and reseller hosting plans. Uptime is often spotty, with websites experiencing long load times or even going down for several minutes to hours at a time, so if you are running any kind of e-commerce site, you would be wise to look elsewhere. Their dedicated server options are much better, but then for the price of those, there are better options with other providers. Security measures on the servers are somewhat dated and leave a lot to be desired, which is becoming more important every day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Weigh your needs vs budget carefully before proceeding. Remember the saying, "you get what you pay for," holds true with web hosting, too. You can't beat the price, but consider moving to a more suitable option as your needs grow.

As a reseller, I can deploy a user account almost instantly and set up everything a customer might need with a few clicks of the mouse. When I started out as a web designer, it worked well enough as an economical option. I still have several legacy accounts with them that I haven't migrated to other servers yet.

HostGator review by Richard W.

"Great Support"

What do you like best?

support, the support provided by Hostgator is of superior quality, not just the response time but also the quality and technical knowledge of customer service is really great. Cpanel of Hostgator is pretty good., it got a lot of features and easy to navigate through. another great thing about the specifications provided by them, from Storage to email addresses, everything is unlimited so you don't have the worry about running out of allowed quota. the pricing is also pretty special, it's not the cheapest but is well within the affordable budget of an average user. also, they offer a 1 cent trial to check out their service for a period of one month and gives the users a chance to test them before actually buying the service. all hosting plans also come with a free domain which I found nothing new but really helpful as you don't have to pay extra for the domain.

What do you dislike?

purchasing of additional domains is really expensive when it comes to Hostgator even when they provide a free domain along with hosting plan. the shared servers are not really great, comparatively the speed provided by the Hostgator for shared servers is not up to the level offered by other competitors in the market. the user interface and billing can be a bit confusing to an average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its one of the best, give them a go.

Web Hosting and domain registration

Response from Alexis Krasinski of HostGator

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback! Keep an eye out for an update with our customer portal - hopefully it will make the experience simpler, and less confusing.

HostGator review by Steve  M.

"the Best Webhosting"

What do you like best?

HostGator is probably the best web hosting out there, i started out using them a few months ago and never felt much trouble while using them. the servers are really fast with many locations which makes your site load faster. the pricing is comparatively cheap for such great performance, they even give you a trial to check out their server for a month for just a penny. the storage and bandwidth are unlimited so you don't have to worry about them at all.the user interface and control panel are so simple and easy to navigate through. they offer great uptime that my website never went down a single second while hosting with them. the support is really great that and usually responds within minutes to your queries.they also offer free domain registration while hosting with them.

What do you dislike?

the pricing for domains is little high that you cant go with them for purchasing an additional domain. the default wp configs are set to be minimum that you cant take advantage of the servers, it can be hard for an average user to change those setting to get maximum out of their website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

its the best out there, go for it.

Web Hosting and domain registration.

Response from Alexis Krasinski of HostGator

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback! I'll be sure to share your domain and configuration feedback to our support and product teams.

HostGator review by Nicholas K.
Digital Production Artist
Financial Services

"There Are Better Hosting Websites Available"

What do you like best?

I am a very unbiased reviewer, so this review comes straight from my experience. There is really not a lot that I enjoy about HostGator. Really the only thing that I enjoy about using HostGator is that the hosting itself is fairly reliable, but even that is still spotty. See dislike section for the majority of my review.

What do you dislike?

While HostGator is cheap, remember that you get what you pay for. Like I said before, the hosting itself is fairly reliable, but even that is still spotty. My server has been breached many times while with HsotGator, I constantly receive spam email through their "secure servers," the up/downtime on website hosting is spotty at times. Most of the time the websites are live, but when they go down - expect them to be down for a couple hours.

Now, let's get to the customer service. This is one company that I will never want to deal with their customer service ever again. Their online chat is awful, the representatives do not seem to be very knowledgable about what services they offer (or how to fix issues.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend this company to anyone. While the hosting is not awful, the customer service is not good at all. I have much more frustration with this company than any other hosting website I've used in the past.

Nothing, the only thing we figured out is how to transfer domains away from HostGator.

HostGator review by Matthew Z.
Owner / Designer
Arts and Crafts

"A good middle of the pack web host for start ups / small business. "

What do you like best?

A "one-stop-shop" for web presence for my start up / small business. Was able to find: hosting, domain register, and design all in one place. They also have more solutions that I have not (or not yet) used. Cost is very competitive.

What do you dislike?

Not the easiest implementation. I'm fairly computer literate and there was still some times I had to scratch my head about what they are meaning. Those with less experience could find it off putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As much as HostGator (and all web hosts say) say that it is turn key, give it some time. If you're not experienced with computers or frustrated easily, consider paying for a website to be designed. Otherwise, set aside some time to make it work.

Solves the problem of having a professional web presence. I have realized that web presence is of paramount importance even for the small business. Hostgator has allowed that to be fulfilled with a reasonable amount of effort.

HostGator review by User

"How I lost more than I bargained for"

What do you like best?

The initial Prices were cheap and they offered SSL - but then after a while you find out its only for one domain compared to their other brand bluehost its for all domains. You will soon find out that backups also have a cost, simple services will usually come with a $25 cost to them when you contact customer support.

What do you dislike?

I didn't listened to the reviews on here and purchased their service, only to find out the hardway. That what everyone was saying about them would happen to me too. These guys have lots of employees/contractors and can manipulate reviews to burry the real ones. My word of advice, look for an alternative solution to hostgator.

I took the free SSL service they offered me when i signed up, then my website got hacked. Because all of my other sites and subdomains were under the same folder, they all too got hacked. (they put everything under one folder for some reason) I had previously contacted them about this being a vulnerability and how can we fix this, they would always just try to upsell to a different plan that didnt fit my needs.

After I got hacked, they offered their partner service "SITELOCK" its about $70/month/12 months per site, you can do the math if you have multiple sites. I got a 3rd party service to remove the malware but I was told by the 3rd party company that timestamps were different from the previous day and now my account had virus again. Everytime i contacted hostgator they made me wait long periods of time, then after waitting they would tell me they could not help me, it violated terms of agreement. To purchase sitelock. I contacted them to confirm if my account was still infected or not. They would always tell me, to purchase sitelock they would be able to tell me.

I contacted sitelock, they said they couldn't tell me, only hostgator would be able to do that. I literally had to purchase their service for everysite, wether it had virus or not as they couldn't verify anything for me, and thats pretty much what I had to do.

I paid them more, way more than I needed to have my server cleaned, then cancel the service with hostgator a year before end of term and got no refund and had to migrate my servies to another provider.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT PUT YOURSELF IN A VULNERABLE POSITION AND BUY HOSTGATORS SERVICES.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have moved to GoDaddy, as they own Bluehost and a few more.

HostGator review by Omar L.
EMPRENDEDOR DEL HOGAR
Music
(Myself Only)

"A reliable and inexpensive hosting provider"

What do you like best?

What´s really exciting about hostgator is that it´s really reliable when it comes to Uptime, and it´s really cheap compared to other hosting providers (and even cheaper if you look for discount coupons on the internet). I really enjoy how easy it is to connect your domain name with hostgator inside the hostgator panel, and I also love its one.click installation feature, that allows you to install wordpress websites in a couple minutes, with only a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

I don´t like that sometimes hostgator workers can be rude and unknoledgeable; and also, they charge a lot for giving you backups for your own websites! What I mean is, if your website is light and has no much information, then you´re ok with hostgator, but if you have a big website with tons of information, you´d better hire a third party back-up service, because if something is messed up, Hostgator will charge you for re-installing your own files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you´re looking for a cheap and reliable service, and you don´t mind putting up with really stupid hostgator workers that can´t solve many issues, then I´d say go for it. However, if you´re looking an amazing customer service, then find another hosting solution.

Hostgator helps me host my website so that everyone can get to know me, and see the services, information and knowledge I have to share with the world. I can say that hostgator does most of the heavy duty job so that I only have to worry about designing and adding content to my website, and this is a great help for home enterpreneurs like me.

HostGator review by Dominic C.
Principal

"The worst tech support I have ever seen. "

What do you like best?

HostGator is fairly cheap and has good uptime.

What do you dislike?

With HostGator we had one technical problem after another. Even very basic things like migrating a small website or setting up SSL caused a tear-your-hair-out level of frustration. In the last three months, I've spent at least 15 hours dealing with their tech support and most of that time is spent trying to clear up the contradictory answers I get from different people in different departments.

Recommendations to others considering the product

HostGator seems appealing on paper, but you're better off just staying away. What you save in monthly fees will never make up for the amount of time you have to spend dealing with even simple technical issues.

We build and manage websites for clients. I've used many different hosts and HostGator would rank at the very bottom of that list. We had numerous technical problems that ultimately delayed a project by nearly a month and required a huge effort from the team to try to get HostGator Support to fix it. But Support seemed to be just guessing most of the time and we eventually gave up and built a workaround that was good enough.

HostGator review by Pritesh P.
Marketing Consultant, Owner and Chief Struggle Officer

"I Wanted To Cry "

What do you like best?

Literally the only thing to be excited about is if you are really poor and need a mega affordable option but please understand you will be responsible for all the troubleshooting, failures, security lapses and may the Goddess give you strength if you ever need to deal with their customer service “team” like I did multiple times. It’s very low cost but the quality and lack of support are too much to ever want to renew the far too much time I had bought in advance for deeper discounts

What do you dislike?

They’re support is basically non existent. You can even outright say that you have had issues where you have to repeat your issue because their call will get dropped and under no circumstances will they listen to reason about about taking your number to call back since they will not give you a number to call them back. I have been put on hold and accidentally hung up on, dropped calls, spending whole nights living a waking nightmare of explaining from the beginning issues/troubleshooting I’m having with one of their products. Its pretty wild when I think back at how much time I wasted with their call in system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really really ask if the hair-pullingly bad customer service and managements disregard for poor strategies for addressing those issues is worth the few extra dollars you save or if there’s an equal if not cheaper options out there that marks higher for customer support.

Hosting client websites and they didn’t have any benefits aside from being affordable. The UI is bad, the product leaves you with more work than it should. If you have a full tech staff that can fix the issues that can arise when hosting multiple websites, maybe the price point is worthwhile but you still have other options. Customer service factor isn’t a huge issue until it is.

HostGator review by Val G.

"A solid web hosting company with decent prices"

What do you like best?

HostGator's page loading speeds tend to be pretty good compared to other big name web hosting companies. I like that HostGator provides a full range of services, like domain registration, email hosting and website hosting. They offer a wide variety of tools that give us great control over our web assets. We can easily manage our own DNS records and add new email addresses and web software through HostGator's control panel.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about a service that is generally straightforward, but if I had to pick something to dislike, I'd say that HostGator isn't as flexible and fast as some of the newer up-and-coming web hosts like SiteGround. From my experience so far, HostGator doesn't run WordPress installs as efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to sign up with a web host and domain registrar that is simple and helpful to work with, then HostGator is a great choice. There are countless web hosts and domain registrars out there nowadays, so I think value needs to be given to HostGator for being around so long and maintaining a reputation as one of the better big-name hosting companies.

HostGator has given us a reliable platform for domain registration and web hosting. We don't only host full websites, we also host single web pages. The uptime is usually very good and support team has been very responsive whenever issues arise. They've basically served as our own staff members.

HostGator review by Martin C.

"An established web host with good prices"

What do you like best?

I like that HostGator has been in business for many years and offers a wide range of domain and web hosting services. I sometimes get low price offers from newer companies, but I tend to stick with HostGator for our main hosting needs since they've been reliable. Their account features are straightforward and easy to manage.

What do you dislike?

When tested, the loading times for some HostGator pages are not always as fast as some web pages we host at other companies. It can sometimes be difficult to make account updates to various software versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since HostGator might not have all the latest server side software, you might want to check to see what versions you require before signing up with them.

HostGator has been a solid provider of web hosting for many of our media assets. We host websites, landing pages and various testing apps for analysis purposes. We haven't experienced any major downtime or other negative account issues.

HostGator review by Tom O.
IOS/Android Software Engineer

"Host Gator - No Hastles & Great Performance"

What do you like best?

The support group at Host Gator is second to none. As a developer I have yet to have a question go un-answered by their support personnel. I love the CPANEL as well as the easy access to UNIX command line via secure shell.

What do you dislike?

There is a limit to the number of emails you can send per hour. However if you are not sending 1000's of emails per hour then the limit is quite acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended for developers and users alike. Very high reliability and friendly support staff. Blows the others away.

I build many websites as well as IOS/Android Apps that require many UNIX services as well as access to the site via telnet. Also require unlimited disk space.

HostGator review by Jayce M.

"A reliable host for basic websites"

What do you like best?

HostGator is user-friendly and has relatively straightforward instructions for setting things up. We can quickly add a domain from a third-party domain registrar to use with our HostGator hosting account. The customer service was easy to get a hold of and helped to walk us through a few things we couldn't figure out. I especially like that HostGator gives us simple tools to manage several features in our hosting account, like email accounts and file transfers.

What do you dislike?

Though I like HostGator overall, the web page loading times are typically a bit slower than web pages we host elsewhere. We we ask customer support about this, they generally suggest we try to better optimize our web pages or upgrade to a different web hosting plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a simple web host that has solid customer support for basic issues, then HostGator is a great choice. If you want a host with more advanced capabilities, then you should consider other web hosts.

We're able to host websites and landing pages that have loaded pretty reliably for our visitors. We host relatively simple web pages in our HostGator account and haven't experienced many technical problems. We have gotten many great sales leads through our web pages on HostGator.

HostGator review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Standard cpanel hosting"

What do you like best?

Host Gator is a fairly large and well known hosting company utilizing cPanel. The interface is easy to use and it is simple to create additional websites using the stored scripts. There is many open source software projects you can install in your domain and non-technical users would be able to understand how to login to the correct path once the software is installed.

What do you dislike?

After the initial purchase your hosting fees do increase and you are now paying 100+ annually as long as you want to retain your domain and website not go down. The site will also charge your credit card automatically, though I guess this is preferred to your website going down if you don't remember to renew.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sign up for the longest term offer initially when the hosting is on sale.

Corporate website, communications are published on this website for stakeholders. We use WordPress just to public documents, program changes, program updates and advisories, which all need to be updated periodically. There was a scenario prior to me starting to work at this company where the responsive part of the website had gotten hacked and porn pictures were uploaded to our webpage. The previous employee was able to get it resolved with help from HostGator support fairly quickly (this was prior to me starting) and she added the sitelock product to our site and applied updates the website.

I also use HostGator for my own personal domain but have not been using it recently and just renewing every year for my domain.

HostGator review by Anatoly R.
Owner

"Hostgator was my first hosting company and now this is a big player in the web hosting industry"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, easy to upgrade to high hosting plan if you reach limitation of current. Great uptime. You can find everything here for example popular content management systems like WordPress.

What do you dislike?

After compamy was sold, I experienced abig problem with a support, especially entry level. Need to wait aprox 20 mins to chat. ticket system is awfull. I never got a notification about my ticket is processed or needs my attention. HG rise prices without prior notice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good uptime and easy to manage of WHM and CPanel. Fast upgrade of current hosting plan to next level when you really need it. You can pay upfront and get discount -50% if you pay for 3 year ahead.

I can use VPS server hosting plan and quickly upgrade it when my website reach limits, so I never experience service interraption in that manner.

HostGator review by Michele G.
Freelance Web and Graphic Designer
Publishing

"Okay Hosting - Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

They are affordable for anyone starting a website. They use well-known tools like cPanel so it's easy to manage your website with whatever platform you use to update it.

What do you dislike?

Their billing portal is confusing. They do not make it easy to contact them, especially if you are wanting to downgrade or cancel your services. They put you in an endless wait cycle and suddenly the chat person is no longer available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Their customer service has gone down hill majorly in the past few years. Until they fix this, I'd say stay away from them.

I recently contacted them as they billed early for a hosting plan I wanted to cancel but couldn't find an easy way to cancel it. I finally reached someone and they told me I must be new to web hosting..though I had signed up in 2006...they also told me they want me to keep my account and didn't cancel it. I had to go though another person there on a long wait cycle of their "support chat" who did, finally cancel the plan.

HostGator is okay for small websites that require no customer service at all. I have realized having support with hosting is just as important as having a fair price. With HostGator its cheap, you really do get what you pay for.

HostGator review by Jannelle J.
inventory speacilist
Accounting

"Good for beginners"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and good access to support through chat. There are also a lot of videos guides on YouTube.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve if you are new to using technology and building website. You may not have the correct verbiage to explain a problem to a chat agent. There is usually a long wait time if you need to call, but the chat is a lot faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Upload tutorials and train staff on how to assist beginners better. Continue to have good customer service. Maybe offer a course that people can buy the walks you through and how to get the most out host gator. don't always recommend products if the customers can fix a problem themselves.

Easy place to host sites . I can buy my domains and host all under one umbrella and I don't have to transfer domains.

Response from Alexis Krasinski of HostGator

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We really do appreciate it and take note to share with the support team and department heads.

HostGator review by Kerryann L M.
Event Coordinator
Management Consulting

"Have your website go live through HostGator"

What do you like best?

I would have to say being able to get hosting for a website with ease. Create a business email account with no problem. The fees are very reasonable and affordable. If you have a problem you can contact Customer Service and get answers to your questions in minutes. You can even choose if you want to add security measures to your hosting account for that website. Your choice.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I really am very happy with Hostgator. Great software to have when looking to get you website up and live.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Even as a first user you will find HostGator extremely easy to navigate through. If you have any problems Customer Service/Support is right there to assist.

I had an issue with my site not uploading and I was able to contact Technical support and get the problem fixed without any hassle. Within minutes the site was up and running and no more issues occurred.

HostGator review by Caressa O.
Assistant Director
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that anyone can use this to set up a website and manage the backend c panel. We use the weebly plugin for our website and this makes it super easy.

What do you dislike?

The support. The support is not great. We have t wait a long time, a few days in fact, to get in touch with a technical support person. Also when you want t reset your password, like we have had to do in the past, you do not get a reset link immediately. It takes a couple of hours to get through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good and easy to use. But now we are considering changing to wordpress and another domain hosting platform because of support issues.

Anyone edit and maintain the website and other backend features. It is fairly simply to use and you do not require technical expertise. Our biggest problem was our tech person being free to deal with technical issues. Since we are a small staff, we do not have the funds to have a dedicated tech person. With hostgator anyone can update and edit content.

HostGator review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Customer Support and their service sucks!! "

What do you like best?

A bit faster than other hosting services but nothing uniquely great about them.

What do you dislike?

Tech support and their services. I can't believe that their billing system was down for 3 days and they couldn't solve it. Their teams must be all in various global locations with no real time 24X7 support which they claim they have.

Just a G-Suite upgrade took us several tries over many support calls and chats. Their tech support don't even know the process of upgrading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

These types of companies need to provide good tech support and high availability. If those are missing, it's hard to recommend this product to anyone.

Domain and email hosting.

HostGator review by Ayd A.
IT DevOps Lead
(10,001+ employees)

"Hosting the mostly will fit your pocket and requirements! "

What do you like best?

- Relatively cheap prices for their shared hosting plans comparing to other similar services.

- Unlimited of everything ( unlimited Bandwidth, Disk Space, Sub Domains, FTP Accounts, MySQL Databases, and Emails)

- Their promotion codes and huge discounts for the first timers.

- They are providing you with cPanel to manage your hosting, which is a huge add-on over some other similar services who use Plesk or their own developed panel.

- Their good customer service and up-times! (During my experience with them over a span of five years i never faced a single outage).

- Quick installer for the commonly used CMS and platforms that saves you big time going through complications of such installations.

- Clean Energy Powered!

What do you dislike?

- Technical support need improvement , you normally wait in line for relatively long time before you get an assigned an agent to address your issue.

- Their website and domain management platform has many bugs here and there, it needs some work to mitigate such imperfections.

- I really hate that the promotions and discounts are always for first timers and nothing for their current or loyal customers!

- Their servers do suffer from relatively large TTFB due to the diversity of good and bad codes over the shared web-hosting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a reliable, affordable, open hosting company for your WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Email System, Custom PHP website – you’ll do well with HostGator.

HostGator review by Odette B.
Freelance Virtual Assistant
Internet

"A great place to get started"

What do you like best?

I like that everything is laid out for me. I am not a designer and never created a website in my life, by just following a youtube tutorial and with Hostgator's user-friendly interface, I was able to knock out my first website in a few hours.

If all that wasn't enough. Their support team is ALWAYS available, like all the time. No question was too silly for them. Like I said, I am a web design virgin, so they were very helpful the three times I had to reach out to them.

What do you dislike?

I just started using host gator a few days ago, right now I am very happy and haven't found a reason to complain yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop looking around and stick with HostGator. The control panel is easy to use and a novice like myself was able to register domain and sort out hosting in a few minutes with no hassle.

If there is something you don't understand, their omnipresent support staff will assist you.

I got the grand idea in my head that I needed to build my own website for my business as well as offer Wordpress updates to my clients. The free tutorial I used guided me to HostGator for Webhosting and domain registration.

HostGator review by User

"A great domain registrar and web hosting provider with good pricing"

What do you like best?

I like that HostGator offers a full range of web-related services that allows our company to register a domain (with or without privacy), have an ample amount of web server space, and email accounts that are reliable with extensive settings options. The pricing for most HostGator products are generally competitive and can often be discounted using promotional codes found online or through emailed newsletters. The support staff at HostGator has been very helpful at following through on service issues and allowing us to provide feedback on their support.

What do you dislike?

I find some of the HostGator account options a bit difficult to work with. Updating certain items in the DNS settings can be a bit complicated to understand. The repercussions of setting things wrong can mean extensive website or email downtime. The support team has been helpful for fixing things, but I wish some of the DNS and hosting account processes could be more straightforward for the average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend HostGator for all standard web services like website hosting, domain registration and email accounts. If you need something that is more database intensive, you might want to consider a hosting provider and/or plan that specializes in the particular web platform you need. HostGator seems more ideal for small businesses with mostly informational websites that don't involve lots of dynamic programming features.

HostGator has been a solid and reliable place for us to host many web-related business materials such as websites, single promotional pages, web forms and documents that we link to from third-party platforms like social media, collaboration software and message boards. We were able to acquire our HostGator services for very reasonable prices, which I think makes their services among the most valuable we have in our business.

HostGator review by User

"A good web host and domain registrar with low prices"

What do you like best?

I like that HostGator provides a wide array of services that can fulfill most of the web-related needs that smaller businesses have nowadays. They offer quality shared hosting plans, email accounts and domain names for pretty competitive prices. When I had problems changing some settings in my account, HostGator was able to quickly guide me in the right direction to get things set up properly. Both their email and phone support is adequately responsive and helpful.

What do you dislike?

Some pages that we run, especially those that have lots of different dynamic coding elements, tend to run slow. Though caching plugins can help with loading times, there are certain pages that run slowly regardless. Though HostGator is generally helpful overall, they haven't always been helpful when it comes to this particular performance issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though you might be able to find lower prices out there, HostGator is a good choice since they're a larger web services company with a relatively large support team. They have been in business for a while and are a trusted company in the web hosting and domain registration space. Unlike some other small providers, I am very confident that HostGator will be around to keep your services running after many years. Having a newer and smaller company go out of business is a real danger to you losing your services. If you plan to run a website through a content management system, you should install a caching plugin to help load your pages faster.

We have been able to use HostGator for a wide range of marketing efforts. We can host web pages with products and service details, host email and register domain names. We sometimes use specialized domain names that are tailored towards the content of a landing page. This makes it easier to find and remember by users. HostGator has given our websites very good uptime, which allows leads and customers to maintain continual access to our business information.

HostGator review by JaNet A.
employee

"Inexpensive way to host a site"

What do you like best?

That if you do the three year plan it ends up being around $3 a month.

What do you dislike?

That it does not give all security features with any paid plan. They try to sell this other security measure as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

That if you want the $3 a month you have to commit to three years.

It gives me a place to host one of my websites.

HostGator review by User

"A solid web host and domain registrar with great service offerings"

What do you like best?

I think HostGator offers a good variety of web services, like business email, website hosting and domain registration, for very reasonable prices. Their website design is easy to navigate and search for services and domain names. I like that there are many deals out there with coupon codes, so every so often we can search and find good deals to use for new domains and hosting plans. The control panel in HostGator gives us all the access we need to manage and maintain all of our services. We can easily change DNS settings for domains and add new email addresses to our hosting account.

What do you dislike?

Like other leading web hosts that have been around for a while, HostGator standard shared hosting plans tend to load pages slow - especially pages generated from CMS platforms like WordPress. Also, though the pricing is generally pretty good, it's not the cheapest out there, so if you're really looking to manage your budget, HostGator might not be the ideal choice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend HostGator to smaller businesses that don't have very intricate programming or heavy traffic needs. You can probably find better pricing out there, but HostGator is generally great when it comes to customer support, which you might not get with lower priced plans from other companies.

HostGator has been a solid partner for hosting many of our web assets, like websites, landing pages and email. We can count on them to respond quickly to services requests or help walk us through technical issues we may be experiencing. HostGator has given us good uptime, so our customers and leads can almost always access our web assets successfully.

HostGator review by User

"A reliable domain registrar and web host with good prices"

What do you like best?

I like that HostGator offers a wide variety of web-related services with reasonable pricing. Signing up for standard services like domain name registration, web hosting and email is very easy. The instructions are clear and there are very rarely any technical issues experienced. HG's technical support is highly responsive and knowledgeable. They don't try to upsell as much as some other web hosting companies I've worked with in the past.

What do you dislike?

I think HostGator is mainly suited for small businesses with basic web hosting needs and not very suitable for more complex web implementations. You can install common website CMS applications like WordPress, Joomla and Drupal, but doing more customized backend programming can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though HostGator's prices are generally reasonable, you should be on the lookout for the many coupon codes and deals HG regularly offers. You can find coupon codes within their website or on third-party coupon sites. Try not to be too discouraged by expired coupons. You'll likely come across valid coupon codes if you dig around long enough.

HostGator has been a solid platform for hosting websites, landing pages, email and adding redirect links to third-party web assets. We can create many branded marketing materials that our customers and leads can easily access. Most of the services we use through HG are well within our budget, so they really help us to establish a robust web presence for a relatively low cost.

HostGator review by Louisa N.
Senior Interactive Designer
Education Management

"Absolutely Worst Hosting Service Ever Used"

What do you like best?

The price is the only reason anyone would sign up for service here. If price is the main consideration, you have many other options for your website that are better than HostGator. Any option is better, literally, any option is better. It does not matter which tier of plan you are on, it is a horrible, horrible service that I was unlucky to have had to manage in two different occasions, both of which ended up in switching hosting providers.

What do you dislike?

Their servers fail all the time for no reason and IT has no idea what's wrong in any bad situation. Their email hosting fails to receive and deliver email and you have no idea how bad the problem is. The hosting is slow. The customer service is ridiculous, it takes many calls to escalate an issue to a person with a pulse and maybe the knowledge on how to fix the issue. I have been in many situations with hosting with HostGator where our company had to send notices to our clients on MANY occasions when their websites would no longer load because of HostGator's service. It was pretty bad, at least once a month. This has got to be the worst hosting service provider in the world. I have nothing to like about the company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use them, ever, period.

I used HostGator for many purposes and it did not even meet expectations. The service provided more problems than solved.

HostGator review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Worst hosting: no support, incompetent agent, limited resources, they will kill your site & business"

What do you like best?

There is nothing to like, this is by far the worst service ever

What do you dislike?

Everything about hostgator. I purchased a 3 year hosting from them and what a big mistake. The few times ive contacted support theyve responded with stupid solutions like refresh your browser. Pretty much every time they also say we will fix the issue asap then they kill the site. They insert bad code into the htc access file and then i have to hire a developer to delete all the malware they've inserted into my site. Then they say wait maam i am googling the issue. Seriously.

I was trying to build my business, which they then effectively destroyed

HostGator review by Chris P.
Senior Web Developer

"Good Inexpensive Shared Hosting, Room for Improvement"

What do you like best?

Prices are very hard to beat for what you get with their shared hosting plans - cPanel and everything that typically comes along with it, and support when you need it.

What do you dislike?

Their support could very often use improvement. Hold times are usually pretty long, and when you do get someone, there are many situations that you have to push hard to get resolved.

Their VPS services do not seem up to snuff. Have seen a good number of issues there, and you don't get as much access as with other hosts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider:

What level of hosting is right for you - will shared hosting fit your needs?

How much support will you need? If you expect to need help often, I would consider a different host.

Getting hosting set up quickly and inexpensively for small to medium sites that do not need a full VPS.

HostGator review by Bobby S.
Desktop Support Specialist II
Banking

"HostGator Meets My Webhosting Needs"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, cost of setup, and the level of support make HostGator a no-brainer.

What do you dislike?

The WHM software could be a little more intuitive to use. But that's really my only critique.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! It's my go-to for web hosting!

The ability to host sites for myself and clients. The benefits are having an online presence to represent yourself or business to the world.

HostGator review by Steve B.
Manager, Business Systems Administration