HostGator Reviews & Product Details

What is HostGator?

HostGator is a global provider of web hosting and related services. Since being founded in a dorm room, HostGator has grown into a leading provider of Shared, Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated web hosting. Our guarantee to you: 24/7/365 Support Our support staff is available 24/7/365 to assist you via Telephone or LiveChat with any hosting-related questions. 45-Day Money-Back Guarantee Try our services at no risk! If you're not completely satisfied, you can cancel your hosting plan within 45 days for a complete refund. 99.9% Uptime The availability of your website is our top priority. We stand by that fact with our uptime guarantee!

HostGator Screenshots

1-25 of 90 total HostGator reviews

HostGator Reviews

1-25 of 90 total HostGator reviews
Implementation Engineer

"Good for simple deploys"

What do you like best?

Hostgator gives you a lot of cheap options that for simple deploys is ideal, also the promotions they put sometimes can get you almost 3 years for the price of one including a SSL certificatate, so if you work as freelance it's going to give to your clients a really cheap deployment. Now regarding to the Dashboard is really simple, the curve of learning is almost zero. As a developer you can give a quick training and let a non technical resource to be managing the web server after the end of the project.

What do you dislike?

Something I dislike about Hostagor are they Shared Solution, If you are a developer working with web solution that implements framework DO NOT buy the shared hosting solution, because you are going to find a lot of roadblock at the moment of implement. In example I have tried to deploy tool made with Symfony 2.* and 3.* and I have had the issue of trying to install all the need libraries with composer and find a limit of memory, and even I have need just like 500Kb the solution by the support team was "Buy the VPN solution"

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are going to buy a hostgator solution, you need to be sure of the technical requirements of your client, because if you are going to need Admin role, is better to go with a VPN solution instead of a shared solution.

Deployment of Web Pages, Mail Server, Online stores, among others.

Owner/Makeup Artist
Consumer Services

"They have helped this newbie so much!"

What do you like best?

I really fell into webdesign and new I wanted to have a place to host all the sites. HostGator was running an AMAZING special for Wordpress sites so I bit. It is the most affordable and easy program to use. Their customer support is ALWAYS very helpful with all that I need. I've even messed up a site that they happily corrected for me. PLUS they always send me information to help me learn what to do and what not to do.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I don't like about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It helps to have some experience with hosting providers with any of these. However, HostGator does a great job of helping us newbies!

I needed a place to host everything. I was using another person and also GoDaddy and it was so hard to get things done. Emails and searching got really frustrating. Now I have it all in one place and it is easy to manage.

Small Business Consultant, Social Media Consultant, WordPress Website Designer & Consultant

"Disappointing, Unreliable, Poor Investment"

What do you like best?

If asked 3 years ago what I liked about HostGator the list would have been long. I dealt with them for roughly six years with no complaint. I no longer refer/recommend clients to HostGator.

What do you dislike?

I used HostGator for several years before they started to go downhill, in my experience. Over the past year, I've moved twenty plus WordPress websites away from the HostGator platform for a number of reasons. #1 I no longer trust or have confidence in the product or services they offer. Their marketing is top notch, their delivery on the shared server hosting side less so.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Double check their cash back policy and what they are offering for their services. In particular, areas like what version of PHP is offered with their shared hosting and is it the most current or dated. Beware that trying to cancel your hosting 4 months into a 3-year hosting package will see you forfeit the full amount you paid with no refund. This is true on first purchase and on renewals. Know before you buy that you will be committed to the plan for the full term.

I am no longer solving any problems with HostGator.

Java Developer

"Good Hosting Provider!"

What do you like best?

Hostgator provides different plans for domain and shared webhosting which is quite good as you can pick based on your need. we are using their "Business" plan as it provides us unlimited website and unlimited space to serve our large number of clients. They too have domain service which is good but i fell costly. Their email service and SMTP servers are good to work on.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is an issue for me as i think it is slightly overpriced that go daddy and bluehost. Rest all i feel is good to go.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They have a very good customer support and it really helps if you are new to the tool and website. I suggest everyone to try hostgator awesome service.

We as a team work on various websites so we need to host multiple websites inexpensively and simply. Our clients usually ask for unlimited email accounts for their team members which we can get easily from Hostagtor.

Reputation Management Manager

"Great for Beginners "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use and clarity was my initial draws to Hostgator as I was able to secure domains quickly and roll out a website right away. The price is also a great factor.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the service kinda puts the user in a box and if you want to expand and really use the service for your business you may have to consider looking else where. I have yet to get to that point so it works for me. Not many dislikes to be honest.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would make sure it's the right fit for your needs but provides the basics. I would recommend if you have done your due diligence.

The only problems that I have experienced were brought upon myself for the lack of domain knowledge. The customer service has always be available for any promble.s

Senior Software Developer
(10,001+ employees)

"Best Web Hosting Provider in the Market"

What do you like best?

We have a Online coaching website which we are hosting on HostGator. Their customer experience is too

good and they provide immediate and effective resoltuion to query. Their hosting plans are also cheap. They also provide domain service and SSL Service. Their speed of the servers are too good and website loads in less time compare to other service providers. They provide 5 free email accounts for every domain pruchased/.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they have a downtime which lasts longer than usual and your site is down. Purchasing and renew of the domains is costly. Other than these two things I don't find anything unusual.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try their service and you won't be disappointed, you may face some issue in the uptime other than all worked good for us.

We are using their service to host our website with a 3-year plan. Their service is good and it works really well for us. sometimes our shared web servers works really slow and that disappoints us but other than that all are good.

Graphic Designer
Machinery

"Easy Web Hosting"

What do you like best?

We have several of our websites hosted with HostGator and have had very few problems. We have only had issues once or twice over the past several years were able to resolve them quickly and painlessly. The program is very user friendly, especially for someone who does not need to access it very often.

What do you dislike?

We may be taking on a bit much trying to handle this on our own. If you are not savvy to the world of web hosting, it can be a bit confusing at first and there are a lot of settings you can "break" your website with if you aren't careful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend HostGator to others, for a fair price, you have access to everything you need to control your website. We have several websites and are able to have them grouped together to renew at the same time which is much easier than keeping track of them all separately.

We like having our hosting with a different company than where our domains are registered. Even if our website is ever hacked, our domain should be safe.

"Good, affordable web hosting"

What do you like best?

I love that I can host ALL my websites in one place without paying an arm and a leg. They have many affordable tiers, with options to pay yearly or monthly. We use the shared hosting which allows us to have unlimited domains (many other companies limit you to just a couple) and so we can host all our websites under one account. We switched to them from Lunarpages years ago partially because of their excellent customer service and partially because of their security features (one of our websites was hacked and they were able to clean it up for us without charging an extra fee, which Lunarpages wouldn't do).

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything really. We have been happy with Hostgator since we switched to them years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have any questions get on their online customer service chat. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions quickly.

I am able to host multiple websites inexpensively and simply. Everything is under one roof, so to speak. Having unlimited domains means I can add more websites as I need to. I also have unlimited email addresses, so I can create email addresses for everyone in my group under any (or all!) of my domain names.

"Above average"

What do you like best?

i used hostgator shared hosting because they were popular and many people recommended them. i have to say its better than most of the hosting companies out there. the speed of the servers are great and website load pretty quickly. the pricing is also moderate and they even offer a one cent trial with which you can host your website for a whole month, a great chance for those who want to try their service. the billing is also great and pretty straight forward. the suite which can be easily setup with the domain was really useful and cheaper from many competitors in the market.

What do you dislike?

email spam is huge and i used to get many promotional mail's from them which is kind of irritating. the pricing is moderate but you can find similar services offer for way cheaper. sometimes the support takes a lot of time to respond and just put you hold. once i got my website hacked and there was nothing left, no notifications or anything.another massive problem is faced was with the email system which stopped receiving emails suddenly and was really frustrating. the interface is really confusing until you get used to it. additional domain registrations are costly and you can get them for way cheaper in the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

when coming to shared hosting this is one of the most popular options out there. the servers are average and prices are moderate. i highly recommend you to take the free trial before making payment.

host websites and manage them. the servers are fast but isn't the cheapest service in the market. if you want to register more domains go elsewhere.

Owner

"Inexpensive hosting option for a small business or non-technical person"

What do you like best?

The low price for shared hosting makes HostGator an attractive option for businesses or individuals that are looking to host a simple website and private email server. Considering the price, uptime is decent, customer service is acceptable, and cPanel access makes it relatively easy to configure everything you need without the expense of hiring a systems administrator.

What do you dislike?

Customers that want to deploy more sophisticated backend operations will be sorely disappointed by the limitations placed on shared hosting and reseller hosting plans. Uptime is often spotty, with websites experiencing long load times or even going down for several minutes to hours at a time, so if you are running any kind of e-commerce site, you would be wise to look elsewhere. Their dedicated server options are much better, but then for the price of those, there are better options with other providers. Security measures on the servers are somewhat dated and leave a lot to be desired, which is becoming more important every day.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Weigh your needs vs budget carefully before proceeding. Remember the saying, "you get what you pay for," holds true with web hosting, too. You can't beat the price, but consider moving to a more suitable option as your needs grow.

As a reseller, I can deploy a user account almost instantly and set up everything a customer might need with a few clicks of the mouse. When I started out as a web designer, it worked well enough as an economical option. I still have several legacy accounts with them that I haven't migrated to other servers yet.

"Great Support"

What do you like best?

support, the support provided by Hostgator is of superior quality, not just the response time but also the quality and technical knowledge of customer service is really great. Cpanel of Hostgator is pretty good., it got a lot of features and easy to navigate through. another great thing about the specifications provided by them, from Storage to email addresses, everything is unlimited so you don't have the worry about running out of allowed quota. the pricing is also pretty special, it's not the cheapest but is well within the affordable budget of an average user. also, they offer a 1 cent trial to check out their service for a period of one month and gives the users a chance to test them before actually buying the service. all hosting plans also come with a free domain which I found nothing new but really helpful as you don't have to pay extra for the domain.

What do you dislike?

purchasing of additional domains is really expensive when it comes to Hostgator even when they provide a free domain along with hosting plan. the shared servers are not really great, comparatively the speed provided by the Hostgator for shared servers is not up to the level offered by other competitors in the market. the user interface and billing can be a bit confusing to an average user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

its one of the best, give them a go.

Web Hosting and domain registration

Response from Alexis Krasinski of HostGator

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback! Keep an eye out for an update with our customer portal - hopefully it will make the experience simpler, and less confusing.

"the Best Webhosting"

What do you like best?

HostGator is probably the best web hosting out there, i started out using them a few months ago and never felt much trouble while using them. the servers are really fast with many locations which makes your site load faster. the pricing is comparatively cheap for such great performance, they even give you a trial to check out their server for a month for just a penny. the storage and bandwidth are unlimited so you don't have to worry about them at all.the user interface and control panel are so simple and easy to navigate through. they offer great uptime that my website never went down a single second while hosting with them. the support is really great that and usually responds within minutes to your queries.they also offer free domain registration while hosting with them.

What do you dislike?

the pricing for domains is little high that you cant go with them for purchasing an additional domain. the default wp configs are set to be minimum that you cant take advantage of the servers, it can be hard for an average user to change those setting to get maximum out of their website.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

its the best out there, go for it.

Web Hosting and domain registration.

Response from Alexis Krasinski of HostGator

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback! I'll be sure to share your domain and configuration feedback to our support and product teams.

Digital Production Artist
Financial Services

"There Are Better Hosting Websites Available"

What do you like best?

I am a very unbiased reviewer, so this review comes straight from my experience. There is really not a lot that I enjoy about HostGator. Really the only thing that I enjoy about using HostGator is that the hosting itself is fairly reliable, but even that is still spotty. See dislike section for the majority of my review.

What do you dislike?

While HostGator is cheap, remember that you get what you pay for. Like I said before, the hosting itself is fairly reliable, but even that is still spotty. My server has been breached many times while with HsotGator, I constantly receive spam email through their "secure servers," the up/downtime on website hosting is spotty at times. Most of the time the websites are live, but when they go down - expect them to be down for a couple hours.

Now, let's get to the customer service. This is one company that I will never want to deal with their customer service ever again. Their online chat is awful, the representatives do not seem to be very knowledgable about what services they offer (or how to fix issues.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would not recommend this company to anyone. While the hosting is not awful, the customer service is not good at all. I have much more frustration with this company than any other hosting website I've used in the past.

Nothing, the only thing we figured out is how to transfer domains away from HostGator.

Owner / Designer
Arts and Crafts

"A good middle of the pack web host for start ups / small business. "

What do you like best?

A "one-stop-shop" for web presence for my start up / small business. Was able to find: hosting, domain register, and design all in one place. They also have more solutions that I have not (or not yet) used. Cost is very competitive.

What do you dislike?

Not the easiest implementation. I'm fairly computer literate and there was still some times I had to scratch my head about what they are meaning. Those with less experience could find it off putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As much as HostGator (and all web hosts say) say that it is turn key, give it some time. If you're not experienced with computers or frustrated easily, consider paying for a website to be designed. Otherwise, set aside some time to make it work.

Solves the problem of having a professional web presence. I have realized that web presence is of paramount importance even for the small business. Hostgator has allowed that to be fulfilled with a reasonable amount of effort.

"How I lost more than I bargained for"

What do you like best?

The initial Prices were cheap and they offered SSL - but then after a while you find out its only for one domain compared to their other brand bluehost its for all domains. You will soon find out that backups also have a cost, simple services will usually come with a $25 cost to them when you contact customer support.

What do you dislike?

I didn't listened to the reviews on here and purchased their service, only to find out the hardway. That what everyone was saying about them would happen to me too. These guys have lots of employees/contractors and can manipulate reviews to burry the real ones. My word of advice, look for an alternative solution to hostgator.

I took the free SSL service they offered me when i signed up, then my website got hacked. Because all of my other sites and subdomains were under the same folder, they all too got hacked. (they put everything under one folder for some reason) I had previously contacted them about this being a vulnerability and how can we fix this, they would always just try to upsell to a different plan that didnt fit my needs.

After I got hacked, they offered their partner service "SITELOCK" its about $70/month/12 months per site, you can do the math if you have multiple sites. I got a 3rd party service to remove the malware but I was told by the 3rd party company that timestamps were different from the previous day and now my account had virus again. Everytime i contacted hostgator they made me wait long periods of time, then after waitting they would tell me they could not help me, it violated terms of agreement. To purchase sitelock. I contacted them to confirm if my account was still infected or not. They would always tell me, to purchase sitelock they would be able to tell me.

I contacted sitelock, they said they couldn't tell me, only hostgator would be able to do that. I literally had to purchase their service for everysite, wether it had virus or not as they couldn't verify anything for me, and thats pretty much what I had to do.

I paid them more, way more than I needed to have my server cleaned, then cancel the service with hostgator a year before end of term and got no refund and had to migrate my servies to another provider.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT PUT YOURSELF IN A VULNERABLE POSITION AND BUY HOSTGATORS SERVICES.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have moved to GoDaddy, as they own Bluehost and a few more.

EMPRENDEDOR DEL HOGAR
Music
(Myself Only)

"A reliable and inexpensive hosting provider"

What do you like best?

What´s really exciting about hostgator is that it´s really reliable when it comes to Uptime, and it´s really cheap compared to other hosting providers (and even cheaper if you look for discount coupons on the internet). I really enjoy how easy it is to connect your domain name with hostgator inside the hostgator panel, and I also love its one.click installation feature, that allows you to install wordpress websites in a couple minutes, with only a few clicks.

What do you dislike?

I don´t like that sometimes hostgator workers can be rude and unknoledgeable; and also, they charge a lot for giving you backups for your own websites! What I mean is, if your website is light and has no much information, then you´re ok with hostgator, but if you have a big website with tons of information, you´d better hire a third party back-up service, because if something is messed up, Hostgator will charge you for re-installing your own files.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you´re looking for a cheap and reliable service, and you don´t mind putting up with really stupid hostgator workers that can´t solve many issues, then I´d say go for it. However, if you´re looking an amazing customer service, then find another hosting solution.

Hostgator helps me host my website so that everyone can get to know me, and see the services, information and knowledge I have to share with the world. I can say that hostgator does most of the heavy duty job so that I only have to worry about designing and adding content to my website, and this is a great help for home enterpreneurs like me.

Principal

"The worst tech support I have ever seen. "

What do you like best?

HostGator is fairly cheap and has good uptime.

What do you dislike?

With HostGator we had one technical problem after another. Even very basic things like migrating a small website or setting up SSL caused a tear-your-hair-out level of frustration. In the last three months, I've spent at least 15 hours dealing with their tech support and most of that time is spent trying to clear up the contradictory answers I get from different people in different departments.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

HostGator seems appealing on paper, but you're better off just staying away. What you save in monthly fees will never make up for the amount of time you have to spend dealing with even simple technical issues.

We build and manage websites for clients. I've used many different hosts and HostGator would rank at the very bottom of that list. We had numerous technical problems that ultimately delayed a project by nearly a month and required a huge effort from the team to try to get HostGator Support to fix it. But Support seemed to be just guessing most of the time and we eventually gave up and built a workaround that was good enough.

Marketing Consultant, Owner and Chief Struggle Officer

"I Wanted To Cry "

What do you like best?

Literally the only thing to be excited about is if you are really poor and need a mega affordable option but please understand you will be responsible for all the troubleshooting, failures, security lapses and may the Goddess give you strength if you ever need to deal with their customer service “team” like I did multiple times. It’s very low cost but the quality and lack of support are too much to ever want to renew the far too much time I had bought in advance for deeper discounts

What do you dislike?

They’re support is basically non existent. You can even outright say that you have had issues where you have to repeat your issue because their call will get dropped and under no circumstances will they listen to reason about about taking your number to call back since they will not give you a number to call them back. I have been put on hold and accidentally hung up on, dropped calls, spending whole nights living a waking nightmare of explaining from the beginning issues/troubleshooting I’m having with one of their products. Its pretty wild when I think back at how much time I wasted with their call in system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really really ask if the hair-pullingly bad customer service and managements disregard for poor strategies for addressing those issues is worth the few extra dollars you save or if there’s an equal if not cheaper options out there that marks higher for customer support.

Hosting client websites and they didn’t have any benefits aside from being affordable. The UI is bad, the product leaves you with more work than it should. If you have a full tech staff that can fix the issues that can arise when hosting multiple websites, maybe the price point is worthwhile but you still have other options. Customer service factor isn’t a huge issue until it is.

"A solid web hosting company with decent prices"

What do you like best?

HostGator's page loading speeds tend to be pretty good compared to other big name web hosting companies. I like that HostGator provides a full range of services, like domain registration, email hosting and website hosting. They offer a wide variety of tools that give us great control over our web assets. We can easily manage our own DNS records and add new email addresses and web software through HostGator's control panel.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike about a service that is generally straightforward, but if I had to pick something to dislike, I'd say that HostGator isn't as flexible and fast as some of the newer up-and-coming web hosts like SiteGround. From my experience so far, HostGator doesn't run WordPress installs as efficiently.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to sign up with a web host and domain registrar that is simple and helpful to work with, then HostGator is a great choice. There are countless web hosts and domain registrars out there nowadays, so I think value needs to be given to HostGator for being around so long and maintaining a reputation as one of the better big-name hosting companies.

HostGator has given us a reliable platform for domain registration and web hosting. We don't only host full websites, we also host single web pages. The uptime is usually very good and support team has been very responsive whenever issues arise. They've basically served as our own staff members.

"An established web host with good prices"

What do you like best?

I like that HostGator has been in business for many years and offers a wide range of domain and web hosting services. I sometimes get low price offers from newer companies, but I tend to stick with HostGator for our main hosting needs since they've been reliable. Their account features are straightforward and easy to manage.

What do you dislike?

When tested, the loading times for some HostGator pages are not always as fast as some web pages we host at other companies. It can sometimes be difficult to make account updates to various software versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since HostGator might not have all the latest server side software, you might want to check to see what versions you require before signing up with them.

HostGator has been a solid provider of web hosting for many of our media assets. We host websites, landing pages and various testing apps for analysis purposes. We haven't experienced any major downtime or other negative account issues.

IOS/Android Software Engineer

"Host Gator - No Hastles & Great Performance"

What do you like best?

The support group at Host Gator is second to none. As a developer I have yet to have a question go un-answered by their support personnel. I love the CPANEL as well as the easy access to UNIX command line via secure shell.

What do you dislike?

There is a limit to the number of emails you can send per hour. However if you are not sending 1000's of emails per hour then the limit is quite acceptable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended for developers and users alike. Very high reliability and friendly support staff. Blows the others away.

I build many websites as well as IOS/Android Apps that require many UNIX services as well as access to the site via telnet. Also require unlimited disk space.

"A reliable host for basic websites"

What do you like best?

HostGator is user-friendly and has relatively straightforward instructions for setting things up. We can quickly add a domain from a third-party domain registrar to use with our HostGator hosting account. The customer service was easy to get a hold of and helped to walk us through a few things we couldn't figure out. I especially like that HostGator gives us simple tools to manage several features in our hosting account, like email accounts and file transfers.

What do you dislike?

Though I like HostGator overall, the web page loading times are typically a bit slower than web pages we host elsewhere. We we ask customer support about this, they generally suggest we try to better optimize our web pages or upgrade to a different web hosting plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want a simple web host that has solid customer support for basic issues, then HostGator is a great choice. If you want a host with more advanced capabilities, then you should consider other web hosts.

We're able to host websites and landing pages that have loaded pretty reliably for our visitors. We host relatively simple web pages in our HostGator account and haven't experienced many technical problems. We have gotten many great sales leads through our web pages on HostGator.

AH

"Standard cpanel hosting"

What do you like best?

Host Gator is a fairly large and well known hosting company utilizing cPanel. The interface is easy to use and it is simple to create additional websites using the stored scripts. There is many open source software projects you can install in your domain and non-technical users would be able to understand how to login to the correct path once the software is installed.

What do you dislike?

After the initial purchase your hosting fees do increase and you are now paying 100+ annually as long as you want to retain your domain and website not go down. The site will also charge your credit card automatically, though I guess this is preferred to your website going down if you don't remember to renew.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Sign up for the longest term offer initially when the hosting is on sale.

Corporate website, communications are published on this website for stakeholders. We use WordPress just to public documents, program changes, program updates and advisories, which all need to be updated periodically. There was a scenario prior to me starting to work at this company where the responsive part of the website had gotten hacked and porn pictures were uploaded to our webpage. The previous employee was able to get it resolved with help from HostGator support fairly quickly (this was prior to me starting) and she added the sitelock product to our site and applied updates the website.

I also use HostGator for my own personal domain but have not been using it recently and just renewing every year for my domain.

Owner

"Hostgator was my first hosting company and now this is a big player in the web hosting industry"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, easy to upgrade to high hosting plan if you reach limitation of current. Great uptime. You can find everything here for example popular content management systems like WordPress.

What do you dislike?

After compamy was sold, I experienced abig problem with a support, especially entry level. Need to wait aprox 20 mins to chat. ticket system is awfull. I never got a notification about my ticket is processed or needs my attention. HG rise prices without prior notice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good uptime and easy to manage of WHM and CPanel. Fast upgrade of current hosting plan to next level when you really need it. You can pay upfront and get discount -50% if you pay for 3 year ahead.

I can use VPS server hosting plan and quickly upgrade it when my website reach limits, so I never experience service interraption in that manner.

Freelance Web and Graphic Designer
Publishing

"Okay Hosting - Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

They are affordable for anyone starting a website. They use well-known tools like cPanel so it's easy to manage your website with whatever platform you use to update it.

What do you dislike?

Their billing portal is confusing. They do not make it easy to contact them, especially if you are wanting to downgrade or cancel your services. They put you in an endless wait cycle and suddenly the chat person is no longer available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Their customer service has gone down hill majorly in the past few years. Until they fix this, I'd say stay away from them.

I recently contacted them as they billed early for a hosting plan I wanted to cancel but couldn't find an easy way to cancel it. I finally reached someone and they told me I must be new to web hosting..though I had signed up in 2006...they also told me they want me to keep my account and didn't cancel it. I had to go though another person there on a long wait cycle of their "support chat" who did, finally cancel the plan.

HostGator is okay for small websites that require no customer service at all. I have realized having support with hosting is just as important as having a fair price. With HostGator its cheap, you really do get what you pay for.

HostGator Pricing

7.3
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.5*
* Web Hosting Category
Do you work for HostGator?