Dragon Speech Recognition Software Reviews & Product Details

Dragon Speech Recognition Software Overview

What is Dragon Speech Recognition Software?

Nuance is a leading provider of speech, imaging and customer interaction solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with information and how they create, share and use documents. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance۪s proven applications and professional services.

Dragon Speech Recognition Software Details

Dragon Speech Recognition Software is a leading provider of speech, imaging and customer interaction solutions for businesses and consumers around the world.

Nuance Communications
@NuanceInc
7,600 employees on LinkedIn®

Dragon Speech Recognition Software Reviews

Showing 45 Dragon Speech reviews
Already have Dragon Speech Recognition Software?
Owner
What do you like best?

Nothing it just crashes and never works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This software has never worked right from day one. You can’t update it or figure out a reasonable fix. Also their support is horrible you go to their website and they are hiding a good way to call them. There ticketing system is a joke and it’s almost like once you purchase the software they don’t even care. This software has never worked right from day one. You can’t update it or figure out a reasonable fix. Also their support is horrible you go to their website and they are hiding a good way to call them. Their ticketing system is a joke and it’s almost like once you purchase the software they don’t even care. In 20 years of working in technology I have never seen software like this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don’t buy it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nothing it never works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer of medico-legal reports
What do you like best?

Sophistication in adapting to voices and accents.

Website trains users carefully.

Customer support workers are patient and thorough.

Program can easily be trained to learn unique spellings and new words. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Excessive reminders to check documents for new words and phrases. That's time consuming.

Occasional glitches in collaborating with Outlook. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can compose documents more quickly.

I can think more deeply while composing documents as I'm not distraed by the effort needed to key things in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

Convenience and speed for a poor typist (carpal tunnel problem) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some combinations of dictated text and commands can confuse the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This review is being written using Dragon naturally speaking speech recognition software.

I have been using this program for a number of years. I have found it to be an invaluable aid in the creation of letters, reports, and even any email response that is longer than a simple paragraph.

It is of course not perfect but, on the whole, there are fewer errors than would occur due to typing errors.

Because I used for a number of applications across both the Mac and Windows systems, my typical mode of operation is to dictate a simple Word document and then copy and paste to the desired location. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AN
What do you like best?

The product itself, when functioning properly, is great. It's user friendly and has pragmatic features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When the product isn't working, you are totally out of luck with customer service and support. What good is a product that you pay for but can't use? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not buy if you have any concerns about your hardware surviving the term of the subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

If your hardware fails mid-subscription, and you replace the computer, Dragon support literally tells you that they won't help you. And they are aggressively rude and snarky about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GR
What do you like best?

At first it worked well I had to do a few reboots three calls to customer service after 30 days total chaos kept crashing my computer, no one would help me afterwards in customer service and our VP of Service (IT) told me to stop using and uninstall he was worried about our server. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It kept crashing my computer and I couldn't even use my number key pad on keyboard. It worked well kinda of at first then became a nightmare. Our VP of Professional Services said to uninstall because it was so bad. Ironically it only got worse after trial period ended. Our VP of Service bought it as well same experience. Short story do not buy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't buy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No help from their overseas call center. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

This softwares inbuild increased adaptations works excellently, It will run in the background and be rapidly available which is really good for me. My working speed is vastly improved and transcribing time is halved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Becoming accustomed to the method of speaking is difficult, but the software supports this with read tutorials and frequent reminders of potential alternatives when the keyboard id used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

everyone can benefit from this software however it will particularly support those in heavy admin roles or in need of assistive technology Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I found I need far less spelling or editing since using this software. As a side benefit, I have vastly reduced my writing time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

With Dragon, you are able to use voice commands to insert templates into documentation. This is great for EMRs where you do not have access to phrases with keystrokes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Dragon is hard to train at times and I have had problems in the past getting Dragon to learn from my speech pattern Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dragon increases productivity of charting as my dictation is quicker than my typing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GT
What do you like best?

This software is incredible. I love how intuitive it is and how smoothly it works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Everyonce in a while I have an issue with a word or phase but it's easily corrected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This software makes my job so easy. I love using it and it's so fast and intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

it's great to dictate text and watch it appear onscreen hands-free. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Despite "training" Dragon for quite some time it's not yet as accurate as I'd like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

By all means buy Dragon speech recognition software if you need to dictate text. Just be aware thataccuracy seems to tap out at about 85% and that customer service is almost non-existent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Dragon to simplify the process of drafting long documents and reduce strain on my wrists. Using Dragon has made it possible for me to be far more productive in some cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I caption phone calls for the hearing impaired and we use Dragon. It works very well most of the time, once you've "trained" it to recognize the way you say things. Simple interface, and can be used in conjunction with any sort of work processing software, I believe. Wonderful product! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally it will "forget" the way I'm saying a word and print out something different and I have to "re-train" it. And there are some words (mostly disfluencies) that it won't pick up at all. Just takes a little working with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very easy to use. Would recommend to anyone for doing papers, writing articles or novels, people who have arthritis or other difficulties with typing, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My company uses the software to caption phone calls so that the deaf and hearing impaired community can have the opportunity to communicate without a translator making their calls for them. I think this is a wonderful invention. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Registered Nurse
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

Ease of use to document in the health care setting. While typing can be very easy, it is much more convenient to use Dragon to dictate progress notes! I cannot imagine it to be more simpler to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think for the most part, Dragon speech recognition is accurate. I only have had minimal issues with some words and abbreviations but I'm sure those things will be sorted out and will get better with time. Cost was really the only issue because my experience with it through my work was as a trial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your company provides, definitely take advantage of it. It might seem weird at first but its quick to get a hold of and becomes very easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Productivity and time management. It is much easier to dictate than typing when it gets so busy. I also work a lot with my hands so I can be writing other things or taking notes while dictating other things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communications Assistant
What do you like best?

I like how easy and fast it is to use Dragon when needing to make memos or long papers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you dont enunciate clearly mistakes will come out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take your time and enuciate well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using dragon to achieve 96% accuracy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the Dragon software is very smart and eventually adapts to my personal writing / speaking style. I am happy with its usage for my duties as a physical therapist for daily notes and initial evaluations / progress notes. I like that I can immediately see what I am writing vs just speaking into a voice recorder with no visual feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It seems to be expensive for companies to add users to the system, and takes incr time for training, so our PRN staff are unable to have their own profiles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have seen improvements in daily productivity due to using Dragon vs other voice recording measures. It saves on the need to hire transcriptionist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writer & Proofreader
Higher Education
What do you like best?

The interface for Nuance's dictation software is simple and it is very easy to get to grips with the software and how to use it. Creating a profile for your language preference and going through voice training helps the system to learn how you pronounce words and is accurate for the majority of the time allowing you to be more productive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am using Dragon Professional Individual for Mac, version 6.

The number of applications that the software works well with is pretty small. Nuance's main page states boldly that it the software is great for writing documents, working in spreadsheets, creating emails and surfing the web. It isn't until you get the manual that you discover just which programs it works well with, and Microsofts Excel and Powerpoint aren't two of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with any piece of software, there is a learning curve. The difference here is that using it is simple and straight-forward and the learning curve primarily comes from the software becoming familiar with your writing styles.

It also depends on what operating system you are using the Dragon software. Windows based machines have had a versatile interaction with the dictation software for many years and it works with many more programs than it does on Mac systems. So if you are using a Macbook then you need to have the latest version of Nuance's dictation software to have anything near a decent experience.

When you choose to buy the software, make sure you also download a copy of the user manual which can be found in the Resource Library as this will provide a valuable aid in how to improve your use of the software and methods of navigating the many commands that it has. While the software does have an inbuilt command list which can be displayed on the screen, there are things in the user guide that make using the software easier and explain what those functions do.

The Mac's version of the software does glitch from time to time. Sometimes this is down to pronunciation, and other times the cursor jumps to a different location within the document. According to Nuance, this will happen in programs that don't support both text and voice entry. However, it does also happen in the 'supported' applications as well.

Overall, you have to be patient while it learns from you and supplying it other documents that you have produced will aid in its learning. Like anything that learns, it will make mistakes (as do we) but its accuracy does increase with each time that you use it.

The initial price tag of £249.99 (Oct-2017) seems high at first but if you make the effort to set up the profile and train the software to your way of writing then the amount of time that can be saved compared to typing is incalcuable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a writer and using Speech recognition software allows me to write that much faster than if I am typing. I also find that sometimes I like to pace when I am thinking and speaking through an idea and not being tied to a keyboard allows me to do this regardless of whether I am using a corded or cordless headset.

Another advantage is that I can dictate parts of my book into any recording app on any phone and then have the software listen and convert those recordings to my documents, saving time in having to either listen and repeat them myself or having to type them up at a later date.

Overall, I find that I am producing more work efficiently and that it helps me to think proactively about the language I need to use when writing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Psychologist
Mental Health Care
What do you like best?

Software makes writing lengthy reports easier. With practice, I could maneuver around the screen to open, close, and use features without my mouse. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When the software is turned on, it takes over the / * - and + buttons on my 10-key pad. Those buttons have specific functions and prevent me from using those characters in my Word document. It takes a lot of training to use all of the bells and whistles that comes with the software. I haven't yet found the time to go through the necessary training. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The software seems to get better with each iteration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writing lengthy reports. Getting reports written quickly, communicating with the folks I've got contracts with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s very accurate at hearing, recognizing, and even learning medical vocabulary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it cute out the first word if I begin speaking too quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dragon has made medical record charting much faster and more thorough with being able to speak text directly into the document. Charts are more detailed. You can be more comprehensive in less time with dictation recognition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Operations Manager
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

Dragon was very easy to implement in our office. It made transcribing much easier freeing up more time for physicians to see patients Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not aware of any dislikes of Dragon Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This was a very easy implementation in our office. The physicians adapted quickly. Helped free up time spent speaking into recorders to have someone else transcribe. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freeing up more time to spend with patients, not having to pay someone to transcribe or the delay in waiting for a transcriptionist Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ohio
Financial Services
What do you like best?

That it captions almost every word in the dictionary and if it do not recognize you can add the word to remember in the data during that call. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It revoices some of the words wrong. U have to insert or type them in which takes more time to do Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommemd this software for the deaf or hard of hearing to make and receive phone calls Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving the words it cannot or will not caption. I am keeping a list of those words. Benefits i realized is helps people who are hard of hearing to take phone calls and stay connected to the outside world. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Clinical Assistant
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

This software is great because it quickly recognizes spoken words and translates them to text in seconds without a hiccup. Compatible with our Desktop Mics and easy to use. I like the ability to edit before pasting the text into patient reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The software could do better with recognizing a wider range of words, but I think with each new update this software will get better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have a compatible Mic to use with the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using this software to write patient care notes very quickly is crucial to working up a patient in the Emergency setting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the convenience of text to type. I wish it had more editing features. I love that it remembers names and phrases if you program it that way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Takes up a lot of room on the computer, slows it down, and it's editing features are not terrific. I think there was some market for this for people with learning disabilities and hand control tremors. My neurologist and my assistive technology person recommended this program for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The business problem I have solved is faster productivity. Without dragon, I can only type 15 to 20 words a minute. In one year of using the Dragon program I can produce 60 words a minute. The editing is an issue, but it's still an improvement Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

After talking very monotone the product works amazing for captioning services Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes words like uh or nuh uh do not come out Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helps those with hearing problems Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to dictate with this tool, which helps me to save time in my patient care documentation. It is especially helpful for documenting long histories. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the speech recognition is not as accurate as I would like it to be. There are some tools to help train the system, but it is not perfect, so you still have to edit some. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this tool and use it in my daily work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are making dictation and care documentation more efficient snd timely, which also helps with provider burnout and workload. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

There are many ways to customize it, tailor it to work the way you want it too, if you want to make it pick up the way you speak on multiple ways, etc.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes this program doesn't forgive you for making mistakes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for this program, just use it! Don't doubt it or look other places, it's great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Captioning phone calls in an easier more accurate way! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

DragonDictate allows me to blast through documentation that would otherwise take me hours to type. It's accuracy is fairly good, but becomes better when you work through a training session with the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It needs more contextual based translation, for example he should know went to capitalize certain words. It seems to have a hard time with that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm looking for speed and efficiency in creating client ready documents based on speech to text. So far Dragon has help me do that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Southern Haemophilia Network I.T, Audit and Data Manager
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

Dragon is easy to train and easy to use. The translation is great and it picks up new words quite quickly. We link it with our dictation devices within the office and it works very well with the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some users take more time to train their voice then other users, and it can take some persistence. You need to stick with it because there are some great benefits but some users will become frustrated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have the proper support and training resources for staff and colleagues in place as it will take some time in the short term, but ultimately it will save time in the medium/long term. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Administration time is cut down as the healthcare team can directly dictate themselves. The process used to be as follows: doctor dictates>admin types up>doctor checks. Now the process is as follows: doctor dictates and letter is complete.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Dragon Speech?

Dragon Speech Categories on G2