CrashPlan

3.8

Automatic backup made for entrepreneurs, small businesses and small organizations with 1-199 employees.

Work for CrashPlan?

Learning about CrashPlan?

CrashPlan Reviews

Showing 43 CrashPlan reviews
CrashPlan review by Juergen S.
Juergen S.

"Only getting worse"

What do you like best?

It is kind of setup and forget, hope for the best. The setup is of a backup is easy. Restoring single files is painless. But that is where the positive ends. It is cross platform.

What do you dislike?

I have been using CrashPlan since ever Mozy Backup went downhill. And it hasn't been a great experience. As a developer I have a constant need that things are backed up, and CrashPlan does that... at a price. First the dollar price is no longer competitive. The memory and CPU price are huge. I've seen CrashPlan use 8+gb of memory, and it wanted more. It is no longer able to backup files larger than 1tb. Pruning old versions every few weeks takes... a week. 3 of my 5 backup schedules do not trigger automatically as they should. Backup and restore speeds are slow, not able to use more than 10% of my network speed. Just now they stop allowing backups of VM's... really, my 2gb VM file is going to kill you?

Support, well, not so helpful. Over they years I had like 5 support requests. I'm not convinced they are helpful. While you always get canned answers and link. My problem of not being able to backup large files or using the scheduler are unsolved. I gave up asking and explaining.

And, no more support for Win 2008 Server soon...

Little things, lots of them, none are good.

Just stay away from it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd look at other solutions before considering CrashPlan. I'll be heading to Backblaze when my pre-paid term ends.

I hope they have a secure backup, but I'm not sure if a restore would be fast enough.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about CrashPlan
CrashPlan review by Samuel J.
Samuel J.

"Perfect software except it is slow if constantly dealing with large files"

What do you like best?

- Pretty straight forward to setup and use

- Deduplication for local and cloud backup taking the least amount of space required

- Fast recovery from local and cloud backups

- Backups can be kept forever

- Pricing

What do you dislike?

- Slow backups - if you're constantly producing new large files, this software will have a hard time keeping up. I get up to 8 Mbps upload on a 20 Mbps connection (though it can drop to under 4 Mbps (megabits) a lot of the time) and around 3 MBps (megabytes) to a local hard drive

Recommendations to others considering the product:

-This is the perfect solution if you are dealing with small to medium amounts of data, not so much if you are producing large amounts of new data due to the slow nature of backing up

- When producing local backups and you want multiple copies, don't create a new destination and let the software do it. Backup to one and then use replication software to copy the backup to another disk, way faster!

Backup data size - the problem with a lot of cheaper lower end backup software if that it does not support deduplication. They generally produce a full backup and then either differential or incremental backups to the point where another full backup down the track is required, thus requiring a destination needing at least twice the size of the original data, not very practical!

This software deduplicates and only backs up what is new unique data requiring the least amount of space

What Server Backup solution do you use?

CrashPlan review by Liz W.
Liz W.

"Crashplan, My Business Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Crashplan is the price - I have unlimited backups for a low monthly free (less than $10/month).

What do you dislike?

I dislike the inability to arrange the order of items once they have been backed up. This is really my only complaint about Crashplan. For example, if I have the following folders arranged on my computer like this: Folder A contains Folder 1 and Folder 2, and I run a backup, that is how it will be structured in the backup. If I then move Folder 2 into Folder 1 on my computer, and run another backup, Crashplan will not simply move the items. It will do another backup of Folder 2, and I now have two copies of the same folder, which is redundant. Plus, if it is a large folder, I might have to wait 5+ hours for the new backup.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Crashplan is affordable, user friendly, and customer service is easy to connect with. Just make sure they folders are structured exactly how you want them to remain before each backup, because once backed up, you cannot move folders or items around.

I am a photographer and need to keep my photos stored in a permanent and safe manner. I keep backup drives at home, but in the event of a disaster, I need copies of those photos to be stored offsite as well.

CrashPlan review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.

"CrashPlan is great! Works as intended!"

What do you like best?

I like the automation of CrashPlan the most. I set it up once weeks ago and it...just works. I've logged in once a day to check and make sure it's running, but, I feel like I just have a self-sufficient child here - not really alot on my part to maintain it.

What do you dislike?

Upload speed seems to be quite sluggish, though, that doesn't matter once your entire dataset has been uploaded.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would not recommend CrashPlan for those of you with a LARGE environment with many devices to be backed up. This solution works best in it's most simple form - just a single server to back up.

Easily the biggest business benefit for this software is the ease of mind knowing that all company data is stored and protected somewhere besides our building. Living in a hurricane zone, this means a lot.

CrashPlan review by David Q.
David Q.

"CrashPlan review"

What do you like best?

Love the automatic backup feature where you can set it to always save and keep the information Im working on. You can also have it work at a specific time that works for you. So if im in the office from 12-5 I will turn it on at the time and have everything saved.

What do you dislike?

I really dislike the forced upgrade that they have which from my experience always come with bugs. I also had some tickets for troubleshooting and the support is very slow and usally takes a while to resolve with not much transparency.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would recommend for people who wants a little piece of mind and have a easy to use streamline service.

Backup, knowing that there was a copy of my laptops in my basement and not needing to run two backup programs to get two destinations was a huge problem solver for me.

"awesome backup software"

What do you like best?

is user friendly , and you can use it on both windows and linux , the installation on windows is really intuitive and user friendly , the interface is easy to understand, we can do restores from the pro server and also save them on tapes and request those for lter is really amazing what you ca do with this software from your admin console , it also has good integration with other monitoring software since before crashplan has the monitoring part on it we used another software for monitoring and we never got a single issue with it at least not a crashplan related issue.

What do you dislike?

sometimes on linux we have this issues with antivirus affecting crash plan connection or slowing down the backups .

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you have both windows and linux servers this will be your best option since you can manage both servers from the managment pro server and that is really good that is why we moved from evault also for scheduled backups and for manaul backups is really good and easy to administrate .

backup solutions for customers and business partners , when hurricanes had hit on customers office this software had saved all the data by just restoring the databases to the new servers

CrashPlan review by Dana H.
Dana H.

"Simply the best piece of mind you can get."

What do you like best?

Once CrashPlan is set up, it just works and takes care of making sure you have a secure copy of your data offsite. I like that it has mobile apps and is accessible anywhere with an internet connection.

What do you dislike?

CrashPlan throttles the upload speed. I have an ultra fast connection but cannot take advantage of the upload speeds available to me while backing up to CrashPlan. Every once in a while I have had to re-indicate what drives I want backed up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I personally think it is the best option out there.

Having a secure offsite copy of my data to prevent against loss. Remote access to files while offsite. Ability to retrieve a prior version of a file.

CrashPlan review by User in Information Technology and Services

"CrashPlan: Easy and Customizable"

What do you like best?

CrashPlan has been a huge part of our backup/archive processes and saves time by backing up periodically as well as making file retrieval painless. The ability to back up to both local drives and the cloud gives us more peace of mind about our data.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that backing up to network drives was not the easiest to setup, but now that it's working I have flawless performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When considering other backup solutions, keep in mind that CrashPlan gives you the ability to make local backup copies as well as back up to their cloud services. The best part is that CrashPlan doesn't charge you for additional drives - you can back up your files to any many places as you need!

I am solving backup/archiving problems with CrashPlan. One of the main benefits is having the data backed up in CrashPlan's cloud as well. This makes restoring backups quick and painless if I don't have access to the main backup drives.

CrashPlan review by Administrator

"Crash Plan Pro from Code42 is a lifesaver"

What do you like best?

We have connected the Crash plan Pro to our server which backs up every minute, and keeps a cache for 1 minute interval to 1 year.

We have an incident where because of an outage, The Hard Drives on the File Server got damaged, so After installing the new Drives, all that I had to do is to restore back the files.

What do you dislike?

Download Speed caps 5 MB per Seconds where if you have huge data files take a lot of time to restore or backup

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have any data stored locally on a server or computers, for 10$ you can have a full backup.

Offline and Cloud backup

CrashPlan review by Administrator

"Worked great, was dependable and allowed restoration of vandalized data."

What do you like best?

I loved that I could backup my data to a friends in another state and they could do the same to mine.

What do you dislike?

There was really nothing I didn't like it did a great job. I was able to retrieve older versions of files and data from machines that were no longer in service very easily. When they eliminated the peer to peer backups we stopped using the product and found another solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have dropped their end users and gone only business. Does this mean they couldn't handle the load, or were only focused on the business segment? Were the end users taxing their systems in such a way that they could not keep up?

Create offsite and onsite backups for a small number of machines and a server that could be reliably restored from several backup versions.

CrashPlan review by User in Computer Software

"Good service, the app not so much"

What do you like best?

The backup process is pretty easy to set up and once configured, works great. Used the service at home for several years with (almost) no complaints. They are no longer support "Home" customers - Prefer B2B

What do you dislike?

The app can become a serious memory hog. Also crashed more than few times which requires a restart of the machine. Moving the app between two different machines can be complicated and at one point I was required to re-upload all my backed up data again

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to have several hard drives backed up even when they are offline, this is a great service - Just be ready to handle CrashPlan's application which feels a bit outdated and can be unstable at times.

One of the only services out there that can support a disconnected hard drive. Usually, if an HD is disconnected, services may keep the information for a limited time - Not so with CrashPlan, and this is a great feature to have

CrashPlan review by Dean P.
Dean P.

"Reliable and fast"

What do you like best?

From experience of other backup services, crashplan just works and backs up with no issues.

What do you dislike?

Restoring files can be a little slow via the web or app gui - would be nice to have a form of integration in finder

File versioning and ensuring all business files safe and sound

CrashPlan review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Great way to make sure your data is always backed up"

What do you like best?

I have the CrashPlan Pro version at my workplace which automatically backs up my computer at regular intervals. It will send me email notifications letting me know whether my computer has backed up successfully or not. These notifications are the only reminder I have of this app existing. It's so great because once installed, I can forget about it until I need it

What do you dislike?

It's a great app for backing up my computer and I do love the email notifications I get. However, there are periods where I get an influx of automated emails (more than 2x a week) and it can get a little annoying, but I can see why some people would enjoy more backup updates.

I've switched multiple computers over the past few months and crashplan not only protects the data I'm working with, but I am able to easily access data that I created on my past laptops on the computer I am currently working on.

CrashPlan review by User in Higher Education

"Great option of business. Sad day for individuals"

What do you like best?

I like that you can set the backups to occur on a regular schedule. You can also decide how much of your CPU resources it will take up. It usually only runs when you are not using the device that needs backing up.

What do you dislike?

I use to have an individual license as well where you could use a personal external hard drive. Code42 no longer offers this. I also do not like how the client can be a little slow sometimes. This is most likely a company problem though since they customize the client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to have great local support for your instance of crashplan

Backup sets are created whenever new machines are checked out and allow staff to be confident that their data is backed up and safe.

CrashPlan review by Clay D.
Clay D.

"Great system with easy backup"

What do you like best?

I like that it is always running in the background backing stuff up for me. I can also pause it if required.

What do you dislike?

There really honestly isn't much I don't like.

It helps me recover quickly from loss of computer hardware.

CrashPlan review by William  F.
William F.

"Safe like a warm blanket"

What do you like best?

I've been using Crashplan for years now and recommend it to everyone I work with. The fact that it just runs in the background and there is no size limit I never have to worry about running out of space.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the new desktop app and how you can no longer see the upload speed or time remaining.

I am a photographer and have a need to an offsite backup as a backup plan

CrashPlan review by Ashutosh B.
Ashutosh B.

"Best software for small scaled applications"

What do you like best?

low CPU usage of the background backup is the best feature for me.

What do you dislike?

Some Technical difficulty with n/w drivers while setting up for the first time

We are mainly using it for backing up our daily generated data online. The application I am working on generates a lot of data dynamically every day which varies in size and content. So backing that data up for our weekly analysis task is essential. Crashplan provides seamless background syncing and makes the job easy and smooth.

CrashPlan review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Solid backup service...reasonable cost"

What do you like best?

It does what it says...but sometimes slowly. Good backup software that can help you recover files or entire backups.

What do you dislike?

It can be slow. I use gigabit fiber and I wish they accepted a faster transfer rate/download rate. When you need to download an entire laptop, it can take a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speed of upload and download

Peace of mind if I lose a computer or if I have some sort of ransomware attack, Not having to remember to backup the system

CrashPlan review by Natalie R.
Natalie R.

"Crashplan Pro: Mostly Cons"

What do you like best?

The backup solution itself is reliable, rarely does the database fail.

What do you dislike?

The admin panel is extremely hard to use. Unreliable client connection. Little troubleshooting help.

CP is our backup solution, we use it to backend manage all client endpoints.

CrashPlan review by User in Computer Software

"I love Crashplan and would like to recommend it but they abandoned the consumer market"

What do you like best?

The seamless back-up, the free option to back up between friends, the encryption, the versioning, the ease of data recovery, the user interface

What do you dislike?

Java only application, the fact that they abandoned the consumer market

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended for companies but not for consumers anymore. CrashPlan has warned all consumer users that their support will expire.

Easy to configure and forget back-up solution. Always there, always working. And when disaster strikes, you have the ease of mind that you will get it back.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Banking
Administrator in Banking

"Crashplan for Small Business"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and intuitive user interface

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything that I don't like at the moment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bulk restoration in the event of a disaster requires extra cost, otherwise you are only able to recover one folder/object at a time.

Offsite backup as well as ease of configuration for non-technical users. We like that we don't have to spend a lot of time in set up - it's set-it-and-forget-it. Even though it might cost more in the long run due to annual costs vs. the cost of a physical backup, the ability to store data offsite and ability to recover them provides better recoverability in the event of a disaster.

"Using Crash Plan"

What do you like best?

The ease with which initial setup is done and required folders are to be marked and then we can forget about crash plan.

My laptop had crashed and i did not know my crash plan had my folders backed up, saving crucial files and a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, since i was part of an enterprise it was free for me, but as a stand alone user it might be expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely consider this product for backup and file recovery in your organization.

All laptops were given with CrashPlan and Healthcare was the industry i was working.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Reliable backup solution"

What do you like best?

Unlimited storage; Supports all major OS: mac, windows and linux!

What do you dislike?

Restore speed is not great, restoring a full computer can take a REALLY long time and the interface for it is not that great. Pricing used to be better as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you don't need Linux support, also consider Backblaze. They have a really good product and better pricing!

Backup of individual machines and external drives

CrashPlan review by Consultant

"Crashplan - Forever preparing files"

What do you like best?

I like that they have a support team which answer in a timely manner, but only on chat

What do you dislike?

The App itself, it's barely OK : I am trying to restore about 40Gb of data from a local source, and it has been at least 2 hours since the "Preparing files..." and no progress yet.

While we did save some data that would have otherwise been lost, the customer stopped using this solution 6 months ago because they had a better product for backups

CrashPlan review by User

"Totally reliable, easy to use"

What do you like best?

We've used this for years and it's never let us down. And that's what you want in a product like this, right?

What do you dislike?

There's actually nothing about this that I don't like. Overall, quite pleased.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product. We've used it consistently and without any issues at all since our first installation.

Regular backup of critical business data. We have a small shop, so this is the perfect solution.

CrashPlan review by Savannah L.
Savannah L.

"CrashPlan is great for backing up your data"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy to set up, easy to use, works automatically, multiple account integration

What do you dislike?

Could be easier to download/install, set up could be better. Sometimes times out.

Data backup, seamless use across different devices I need to back up

"Crash Plan review"

What do you like best?

Crash plan helps me to easily recover my Mac when things fail

What do you dislike?

It will slow down the Mac sometimes which can be annoying

Backups are painless

"Great backup!"

What do you like best?

One of the best backup solutions, with unlimited data space and encription on client side :)

What do you dislike?

Can't backup mobile device like smartphones or tablets

Backup of all user files

CrashPlan review by User

"Installed but never used"

What do you like best?

Reliable. I have the app installed on my macbook. Never used it because I never had a computer crashed.

What do you dislike?

As I stated Never used it because I never had a computer crashed. So have nothing to dislike at this point.

It backs up your machine and can restore everthing once your machine crashes. Such software is a musthave.

CrashPlan review by Consultant

"Solid, Stable, and Well Priced"

What do you like best?

Simplistic setup and billing. $10/device/mo (Crashplan Pro). Reliable backup and restore. High speed. Easy management.

What do you dislike?

Proprietary format. You can't browse your backup without the program

Off-Site backup for clients.

CrashPlan review by User

"A good software to backup your software/files without much hassle."

What do you like best?

Good software to back up your files and software. Also useful when migrating from one workstation to another it will be easy to copy most of the latest content and settings.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it intermittently consumes a lot of CPU which might slow down your apps.

Workstation backups and migrations between workstation.

"CrashPlan review"

What do you like best?

Good inexpensive solution to backup small servers and PCs. Runs in the background with no extra maintenance.

What do you dislike?

The speed to the cloud needs an improvement. The client console interface could be a bit more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is awesome.

Backing up small servers and PCs to the cloud.

CrashPlan review by Consultant

"It's quick and easy to use. "

What do you like best?

I enjoy the user interface it runs a lot more smoother than other products

What do you dislike?

I dislike the overall customer service. The ability to help team out took too long

We're solving our hosted data review through the cloud. has allowed access to remote locations and quicker througput

CrashPlan review by User in Research
User in Research

"CrashPlan is super easy to use"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about CrashPlan is its ease of use once it is set up!

What do you dislike?

The setup process took some amount of time, and wasn’t as straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out how installation will work on your system.

We are protecting our data, which is a super important aspect of our every day work.

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Good cross-platform enterprise backup"

What do you like best?

The reporting functionality and online user backup monitoring features are phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

Has been somewhat difficult to implement in our specific enterprise due to some custom scripting needed.

Users are not losing any or minimum data due to hard drive crashes. Easy to migrate users from a Windows to a Mac computer and vice versa

CrashPlan review by Administrator

"Very Good Disaster Recovery and backup solution "

What do you like best?

Simple to use and setup. Excellent task scheduler and reporting on backup jobs. Easy to restore from files to complete systems.

What do you dislike?

Could have more specific options - similar to VEEAM

Backup and Restore. Disaster Recovery. Peace of Mind

CrashPlan review by Administrator

"Decent Backup and Recovery software"

What do you like best?

Ease of install and setup for basic backup tasks. Very good tech support when needed.

What do you dislike?

Could have better tools available for imaging. Lack of file level backup and restore options.

SImple backup and restore. Disaster recovery

CrashPlan review by User

"Worked Well When I Used It, Their Offerings Changed Though"

What do you like best?

Simple To Use File Backups. Easy To Set Up

What do you dislike?

they no longer offer the plan I was using. It was great to just get something setup for people

Backing up user files on Windows Systems

CrashPlan review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Works great!"

What do you like best?

It’s really easy to use and deploy to all my machines.

What do you dislike?

It’s a Java app and can be a little dodgy at times.

Needed a dependable cloud based backup solution. No longer need on-prem double dupe.

CrashPlan review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Nice work"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use for end user.

Customer support is phenomenal

What do you dislike?

More updates needed as patches and security is a concern

Recommendations to others considering the product

backups is where it's at

backup of documents and data

CrashPlan review by User

"Product changed, features removed, support gone downhill"

What do you like best?

I guess that it is better than nothing.

What do you dislike?

Removed ability to get restore disks. Confusing configuration options spread between desktop and online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere.

Secondary offsite online backups for my business.

"Great backup software"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, no configuration needed. One click solution

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. All of it works well so far

It helps to backup my computer

CrashPlan review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not the Best"

What do you like best?

Easy for end users to use. Works reliably.

What do you dislike?

File-level backups and overall management is difficult.

End point backups.

Learning about CrashPlan?

* We monitor all CrashPlan reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.