CKEditor 4 Reviews & Product Details

CKEditor 4 Overview

What is CKEditor 4?

CKEditor 4 is a browser-based rich text editor. Its plug-in based architecture allows bringing common as well as advanced content processing features to the web. With almost 15 years in the market it serves as a battle-tested editor, when you need multiple features and legacy compatibility. CKEditor 4 is distributed under the GPL, LGPL, and MPL Open Source and commercial licenses.

CKEditor 4 Details

Web text editor for everyone

CKSource

Showing 23 CKEditor 4 reviews
Already have CKEditor 4?
Writer
Industrial Automation
What do you like best?

First of all it is an open source tool and it is easier to install, integrate with the applications and configure. One is able to insert images and paste writings from word document. Has a unique way of spell checking ensuring no errors in the pages.During formatting of edited text I can choose from different style formats available with no limitation.The important part i like is the html formatting tool it has which ensure i design my work anywhere i want in my page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

i have never experienced any challenges while using the CKEditor 4 tool Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those people considering to choose the best text editing and writing content to their web pages they should consider choosing the CKEditor 4 for its efficiency and good results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

it helps in updating content in my web page this improves my real time functionality of the site. Have reduce time of editing my web pages in need be. Being very easier to use, everyone in my company can use it with ease Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Computer programmer
What do you like best?

It is very easy to use.

It is easily pluggable and customizable.

It us a rich text editor with the most features which are very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is the most stable and reliable solution on the market and so far there is no any complain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes I would recommend it because help user boost productivity.

It has a great multilingual content.

It has a great support to androids.

It has effective image plugins for all purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is very effective in embedding media.

It is great in pasting from excel and google docs.

It has an efficient inline and I frame UI.

It is superb in uploading images with drag and drop or paste an image from clipboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in CKEditor 4
Founder
What do you like best?

The easy way to set up, the fast loading (instead of loaded with full features), and the options I have to edit my web pages and documents on the fly, without the need to manually edit them then upload to the server.

Actually, I am using this editor since 6 years for my own use and also for my best clients who want to build CMS websites, I used this editor to build a complete CMS for UK garden website. I found it dynamically works fine and very fast and easy to implement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Compatibility with RTL (Arabic) Language, not fully completed. I wish the Arabic language can be considered as a primary task in future developments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want fast, reliable and full of features editor, you have to try CKeditor. It's very easy to implement to your web pages plus the recurrent updates from the developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing my website pages on the fly, without a need to manually edit them using 3rd party editor. Also, I am using it to build my own CMS systems for my personal use and also for clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ofrece prácticamente todo lo que necesitas para simplificar la creación de contenido, la documentación es muy buena y la API es muy clara. Admite una gran cantidad de complementos adicionales, gestiona bastante bien la representación de HTML y permite subir imágenes. También es muy fácil personalizar un complemento o escribir uno propio. Otro punto a favor es que está listo para dispositivos móviles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A veces se pierde el formato original y resulta algo molesto. No es la herramienta ideal para desarrollar interfaces de usuario.

El aspecto puede parecer algo obsoleto comparado con otros editores más modernos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Es el editor visual perfecto para cualquier editor de contenidos o para el desarrollador web que necesita facilidad de uso y gran potencial de complementos. Utiliza la documentación, vale mucho la pena. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cualquier persona puede crear contenidos para sus sitios web gracias a un editor visual como CKEditor.

La principal ventaja es facilitar al usuario final la creación de contenidos sin necesidad de saber HTML. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Incoming Software Development Engineer 2 at Microsoft.
What do you like best?

Customization and also ease of usability for the user.

Regular updates and community support.

A lot of features for the user.

External plugin support.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Improper documentation of the features.

Have to rely on the StackOverflow for functionality discovery.

Eg - I was working on manually enabling/disabling actions in the toolbar, but couldn't find any proper documentation for that. So it was kind of a deal breaker for me in one of the projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it, it is very easy to set up and also it has most of the features that you can expect from an editor.

However, it might take some time to customize it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1 - User can publish articles to my website. It was very easy to use and setup. I was able to add and make it work in my application within a day.

2 - In another application, I used it to add compose email functionality in my company's application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Student Researcher
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Easy bootstrapping.

External Plugin Support.

Easy Customization.

Cross-browser support.

It doesn't take much time to load on the browser. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Missing documentation in some areas.

I was working on CKEditor and I added a plugin which showed the drop-down items fetched from the server. The values of the dropdown were dynamic and depend on another checkbox. I couldn't find the proper documentation for this. I had to search on StackOverflow to resolve this issue.

Another issue I faced was to enable/disable some items in toolbar using JavaScript. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, use CKEditor. It's easy to set up, easy to use, have loads of features and have responsive design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I used CKEditor to provide the functionality to type the Emails for Alert Notifications and another use was to write the text templates that were used in designing the letters. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing & Graphic Design
Higher Education
What do you like best?

It is very straightforward and easy to use. You can switch from Rich Text Editor to Plain Text Editor. For someone who has background in HTML, I found this very useful because if something in Rich Text doesn't look the way I want it to look, I can use the Plain Text Editor to look at my code. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As someone who has background in web design, I am used to just writing everything straight to the HTML file, so the rich text format sometimes gets on my nerves when it doesn't capture the look that I really want. But I think this is mostly because I am not as used to Rich Text Format as I am to Plain Text. So again, I really appreciate the Plain Text Option they have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's very easy to use if you are just writing content directly to a web page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use CKEditor in Drupal for our website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Web Designer
What do you like best?

It's user- friendly and straightforward. Great for a web developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I don't like about CKEditor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Continue to make the editor user- friendly, and easier to customize. The layout is clean and has a wide variety of browser compatibility. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Designer & Web Manager
What do you like best?

Not only is the WYSIWYG editor extremely sleek looking but the fact that you can also skin it to how you like to fit your application makes a world of a difference. The vast selection of add-ons also extends the editors capabilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really any big thing to dislike about the CKEditor 4 as it does exactly what is describes. The only issue we have with the CKEditor experience is with the new CKEditor 5. As we use this with our bespoke content management system, the pricing structure of the new CKEditor 5 doesn't work for our needs will end up making us having to pass on the extra costs to our customers which isn't what we want to achieve. This may end up resulting in investing in another solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend using the CKFinder as a complementary service to the CKEditor. This gives a complete solution to your HTML editing needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to have a simple interface that we can customize to show only the features needed help to make it an easier experience for the end user. An easier experience means a happy user which is good for business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CS
What do you like best?

WYSIWYG

plugins

widgets

skins

build your own distributions

Default Image Plugin Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Programmable features

nothing other than that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Small business and it helped to get more customers and revenue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student
Financial Services
What do you like best?

User interface is pretty simple and classy. May be it is old, but it is classy. I have integrated the CK editor in one of my invoice mail sending application. Earlier it was some other heavy editor tool, which was pushed with more features and UI. Later I replaced the application with CK editor plugin and it worked like a charm with high speed and faster performance. Now users can easily edit their content without much loading issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As a developer there is nothing I dislike about the plugin. Still certain areas can be improved. Lots of new editors are launching day by day to attract users to use in web applications. So make use of the current technology benefits are the challenge that would need from the CK editor development team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a simple and easy plugin editor to integrate in your application, then CK editor is the best solution. Mostly developers will look for a reliable and less buggy plugin as an editor. So,CK editor is good in that perspective. You can see very well documented plugin integration, so that developers can easily integrate this plugin in a web application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

An application's success relies on the end user's usability. As an editor, CK editor did that part very well. Main benefit I can see is the page load very fast with CK editor than any other editor. Performance vice it is very good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Designer
What do you like best?

CKEditor is a software where you can add text for your website content. It has many features that help customers easily write about what they wanted to be like. we 'the-web-developer' can also customize by adding plugins for the customer. the copy and paste is very helpful, because some customer like to write it first in different software. there are also preview for every post that will be posted, so its really helpful to help the customer to see the post what it will be look like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

CKEditor is a software from the 90's, so the appearance it self is old. they still use a button like layout. I hope they can give a theme features so we can customize it to match the web. a features to add a simple color is also good, but if there's a theme feature it will be better. bur functionally, it's great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend this software because you can easily manage the text because of the rich text format compatibility. and the image properties that you can adjust directly from CKEditor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

many of our customers likes to write a lot of stories, wherever directly to CKEditor or from other software such as notepad. by using CKEditor, they can easily copy and paste their writing. and most of all whats helping them the most is the post preview. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Designer
Computer & Network Security
What do you like best?

CKeditor have many features that I need. Rich Text Format, images upload directly. It help my clients to build their website content by them self. So that's why CKeditor is one of my favorite WYSIWYG. They also hide the complexities of creating markup by automatically inserting tags into generating HTML which is persisted in the CMS and displayed as part of viewed webpages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Functionally, nothing to dislike. But, the layout for the plugin, is really outdated and it's feel like kind of 90's Editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For web developer which considered for the ease to handle, CKEditor is one of the editor that you should use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For client view, CKeditor is the most simple and yet more perfect than the previous editor that I have ever used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

I really liked the flexibility and extendibility of the CKEditor. I am myself a web-developer, and I've tried a couple of different solutions. My task was to enable users to work with some user-friendly text editor. CKEditor allowed me to easily created needed widgets, styles and implement my own custom logic. Everything is well documented and have enough examples. Community is big, and there is plenty of answers or typical problems solved on stackoverflow.

It's open-source and the license is really convenient for further use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Creating a custom build was kind of difficult for the first time. I wish it had more documentation. But please keep in mind that I have had a rather edge case.

There was a bug when using CKEditor in the iframe, but I addressed it in my PR which was merged by the repository maintainer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My customers had a problem of dealing with the raw markup of a certain product. To improve their UX, I've intergrated CKEditor into the mentioned product, and added a logic to convert this raw markup to the nice and intuitive representation. CKEditor was the key for success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Application Developer
Media Production
What do you like best?

Perfect handling "dirty" content (I can even select&copy from a website and paste to it)

Very well implemented plugin mechanism (wrote some plugins, working like a charm)

So much already-implemented plugins thanks to open-source crowd Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Plugins implemented by open source are not well-documented, most of time i have to take deeper look into plugin source code to understand whether that plugins supports something i need or not Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Formerly we were using Telerik's Html editor at Hostamedia, however its like 90s editor and upgrading to CKEditor was one of the best decisions we made so far.

Older editor was keeping even "body" tags in result content, wtf? how can it be? how can an html editor contain body tag? Moreover, it keeps whole stylesheet from word after pasting, which we dont want.

Inline editing feature of CKEditor is superb. We are implementing some mechanism related to inline editing and we will need that Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Membro Fundador
What do you like best?

Ckeditor has the best performance I've seen, Rich JavaScript API, and very easy to extend and customize. He give me full control of what I'm doing. If I need something which it is in a Word document, I can just copy-paste from there. And if you need anything that is not out of the box, you can add a plugin for that purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really, really think there is nothing that I dislike. Seriously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just do it. Ckeditor it's a complete tool! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write a lot of articles in my blog, and I write about programming. So the ckeditor fits all I need. Also I have to send e-mails with programming content to my team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CTO & Founder of Leevia
What do you like best?

CKEditor is easy to integrate, has a lot of plugins and is full customizable. You can choose how many plugins to use to make it faster. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Is a 90s editor so it's not so beatiful like other modern editors.

CKEditor has a open bug: you can't load only certain languages. Documentation say yes but it's not true! If you choose to load only certain languages, CKEditor will load ALL languages anyway! This is very painful because make assets precompilation very slow... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My clients can create websites thanks an editor and I use CKEditor to allow them to provide a complete description of their story, with links and other formatting stuff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Mostly for its features and the support documentation. The fact that the editor supports a wide range of add-ons and handle HTML rendering well. It is mobile ready and has table editing capability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Mostly for lost of formatting at times especially when working with tables. For modern implementation, I think, iframe is thing of the past when it has to do with rich text editing. UI styling can be challenging when implementing this editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For ease of implementing and the availability of the wide range plugins. Also GIT support available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Previously, I have implemented within forum applications in the past which a lot of users were pleased about but I had to switch due to the demand for modern UI implementations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
Internet
What do you like best?

We switched to CKEditor from Redactor. We had struggled for years to make Redactor work and CKEditor pretty much did everything we wanted it to do - good text editing and image uploads. The API is really clean and the plugins are well written. It's also very easy to customize a plugin or write one. Their documentation is top notch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We ran into some quirks with some API methods not working as advertised. We could write workarounds for them but we did lose some time. Not a deal breaker though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We wanted to offer a clean text editing experience to our users at SupportBee.com. The ability to drag and drop images alongside text was a big requirement for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Developer
What do you like best?

Quick and easy to get up and running in your web application. Highly configurable. Compatible with most browsers that our users are using. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Could do with a few more skins so it blends more into your web application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worth evaluating for your web application. One of the best website text editor plugins available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to add text editing to our web application easily and quickly without writing very much code. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

It's very straight forward to install and to customize it. So far its one of the key features to use on our product, so we empower our users to build their content with ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I need to use some third party CSS to get it working with the most used frameworks like bootstrap or foundation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its an opensource tool that you must try it out in your website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Because of my business the users need to share their story and CKEditor so far have help us to empower them, and reach tools that they can use with a minimum learning curve and make their content look great without effort. For us the main benefit its that the webpage of their history look more profesional without need to format it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

full-stack/backend developer
Internet
What do you like best?

Very easy to install and customise, quick solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Text editor controls don't look great - could be designed better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using it in a CMS, allowing users to perform basic text styling on forms Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Uploading images, simple setup, embedded html parser Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Design. Smells like 90th. Please redesign this awesome editor Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be shy. Go ahead and use it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My company was needed at complex and free editor Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.