4.0

SVN continues to be the repository of choice for software teams managing projects with massive amounts of data. For over 10 years, companies all over the world trust Assembla to host their SVN repositories in a secure, high performing cloud environment.

Work for Assembla?

Learning about Assembla?

Assembla Reviews

Ask Assembla a Question
Showing 60 Assembla reviews
Sergio P.
View Original September 5, 2017

"I woudn't recommend Assembla for project management for software projects"

What do you like best?

I can't really think of anything I really like about assembla. It is complicated to use, has the basic features that are needed, but the end result is difficult to read. The editor doesn't provide much help. Changes are displayed together with relevant information in a way that makes reading a simple task complicated. It takes a long time to get used to the format, and even then, it takes too long to get the information that is relevant from a ticket.

What do you dislike?

As I said before, it keeps track of every change, so sometimes the change management gets in the way of a simple flow. The display of the data is so that relevant and irrelevant information is displayed together, so it makes it really hard to follow. It is very limited when you want to use custom fields. Default values are ignored. Sometimes, randomly, views revert to the default view and saved views are lost.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would look at other options. Assembla has been sold and aquired several times in the last few years. Every time this happens, promises are made (and broken).

We use Assembla to manage the development of an ERP software package. We use it to keep track of development tasks and to track issues submitted by clients.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Assembla
Josh C.

"Quality Services and Peace of Mind"

What do you like best?

Assembla has been a highly valuable service from the start. Migrating our system was painless and easy. The server has been running outstandingly well since then. Anytime I have had questions, their support staff responded very quickly and resolved my issue very quickly also. Their staff is also extremely knowledgeable and helps make you feel at ease while using their cloud services.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing to report on this matter as of this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Talk to them about their services and work with their team to find the right package for you.

Having version control is required for any software project. But it's useless without resiliency and peace of mind that your data will be safe and sound. Assembla solves this problem with their cloud hosting solution, which offers us incredible peace of mind. I would highly recommend anyone who needs source control, but does not need the headaches of self hosting, to contact Assembla as soon as possible.

What Version Control Hosting solution do you use?

EC
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Terrible Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Honestly nothing, it was a half decent tool for managing dev work.

What do you dislike?

Their customer service is very terrible. No customer empathy, don't have the authority to escalate to solve problems.

They have been messing with pricing plans so much that we need to add 5 users and they only would do so if we upgraded to a plan that was 20x the price per user than we were paying. After a long battle with customer support, they added a discount to make it somewhat affordable. But still a 2.5x increase in price. We were told this discount is only valid for one year and we will jump up to the 20x price. We decided to move to Jira and in the process of asking them to cancel a majority of our services and users, they did it wrong and keep charging us the old price. They would not issue a refund.

Don't bother with these people!

Task management and code storage

Joanna C.

"Assembla: Solid Issue Tracking Platform"

What do you like best?

I like Assembla for many reasons but largely because of its no non-sense, simple interface. All the required fields are there to manage the data we need tracked on a given bug, but it doesn't look cluttered or excessively flashy. It is easy to create saved queries to keep tabs on certain kinds of issues all in one place. The commenting system is robust and very user-friendly and allows me to auto-track a ticket that I created and thereby get email updates when team members comment on it or change its status or sprint number. I also especially like the way the UI handles photos/screenshots, which are crucial to properly documenting an issue with our software.

What do you dislike?

One of the main things that annoys me about Assembla is that I cannot click a "next" button on a ticket to go to the next numbered ticket numerically. Periodically, I will log into the system to look at what new tickets have been opened and once I start back from the last ticket I reviewed, there is no easy way for me to browse forward. Because I primarily use this system for ticketing, the main page UI can look a bit cluttered with things that the team needs but I don't need access to view.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely use this system if you need to track software issues and manage a development schedule.

We are able to track and manage all the bugs we experience with Assembla in a streamlined manner. Not only do we get to track them, but our development team can easily categorize and prioritize them to meet their goals for release schedule.

"The only source for cloud-hosted perforce servers! "

What do you like best?

My team is distributed across North America, we've used Assembla's cloud hosting for perforce and git repo's for large-scale productions working with some of the biggest companies in the world.

Assembla provides us with flexibility and world-class service unparalleled in the industry. Knowing that our projects are secure and can scale to meet our clients needs makes them a make them a critical piece of our infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

Their project management tools are mediocre at best, we stopped using them after a month or so.

Their requirement that all projects are private force us to migrate code to competition if we release public code packages (which we do regularly).

distributed team diverse range of projects for an equally diverse range of enterprise customers

Paul P.

"Recent change in ownership changes everything"

What do you like best?

UPDATE: March 2017: Assembla has a new management team, and has significantly changed their model. When I wrote my original review, Assembla was reasonably priced for small teams or occasional users. That is not the case anymore. Their cheapest option is $75 per month, which drives the occasional user totally out of the market. I am no longer an Assembla customer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have only been using Assembla for a couple of months, but it has been a breath of fresh air compared to the tools I was previously using.

There are two ways you can use Assembla, and I'll try to point out the differences here, because I think they are very important to new users. First, you can use Assembla as a free tool for cloud-hosted source control. You can have an unlimited number of GIT, Perforce, or SVN repositories, grouped into an unlimited number of "Spaces" with an unlimited number of named users that have access to a specific "Space." The limit here is that you can only host up to 500 MB of content combined across all your spaces and projects.

The second way, is to use Assembla as a paid tool for product management. This option includes some great project management tools, as well as some of the features of cloud-hosted source control, but has some strange limitations. For example, if you are a paying customer, you now have a limit to the number of spaces and users that you can connect to your system. Free users have unlimited spaces and users, but paid users have a limit, based on how much they pay. Granted, the storage space is larger for paid users, but the limits on paid users and spaces is bizarre, when you provide unlimited options to your non-paying customers.

As a cloud source control repository, Assembla is awesome. I love it. It is easy to set up, easy to manage, easy to connect to, and easy for my clients and co-workers to use.

As a paid member, the project management tools are excellent. The card wall is easy to use and easy for people to understand. The ability to link to specific tickets when you commit from source control is amazing, and one of my very favorite features of Assembla.

What do you dislike?

I hate (and I mean that in the nicest way), but I HATE that as a paid subscriber I have fewer options available to me for spaces and users than your free customers do. That just boggles my mind. I want to recommend Assembla to people in my field (as I'm a consultant in my industry), but I can't get over how you limit your paying customers in ways that you don't limit your fee users.

UPDATE March 2017: Assembla resolved this concern by removing free accounts and raising the prices on paid accounts (from what I can tell). I can't find any options on their website anymore for free accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You may need two accounts: one free account for working with SVN repositories only (so you can have an unlimited number of spaces), and one paid account for working with project management tools. I wish I didn't have to recommend this, but Assembla's insane policy on providing paying members with fewer features (specifically in number of spaces and users) makes this the option I've had to resort to.

As a consultant, I'm working with several different companies at the same time, trying to keep all my projects up to date, and managing communication with my clients. Assembla makes it easy for everybody to stay connected, to understand the current status of the project, and to contribute in meaningful, easy ways.

Ben H.

"Responsive and professional company - good quality service"

What do you like best?

For the single tenant solution, Perforce hosting speed and reliability is exceptional!

Premium support is very responsive and helpful - problems get fixed so quickly after they appear, though that is quite infrequently.

Pricing for premium services is quite reasonable - the bulk of the cost is Perforce licensing.

What do you dislike?

Nothing!

There is a 40 character minimum for this field so these are some extra words.

Allows us to focus on our work rather than maintaining a VCS server

Dan O.

"Programming Project Management Super-seeded By Atlassian "

What do you like best?

Reliable. I've just Assembla for the best part of 10 years and I've never had any serious issues.

Assembla is a great way one stop shop for managing a programming team: I've used it as a code repository, for buildsheets and notes in a wiki and ticket management.

What do you dislike?

Recently Assembla has been taken over, the prices have risen sharply and there has been no substantial improvement in functionality. Dollar for dollar, you're probably better of using the Atlassian stack now even with their price increases too! The backups produced can not be restored with the interface to stop you from stopping/starting your membership.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Seriously consider JIRA and bitbucket

Management of programmers and projects.

Jordan W.

"Very organized, practical, and feature-rich"

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily upload videos/screenshots, I also like that it supports multiple repositories.

What do you dislike?

I dislike managing and linking tickets, also I don't like when I remove a comment it shows that I removed a comment in the ticket, I wish it would just delete it and not say anything

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using the wiki as much as you can for miscellaneous information about the project, like READMe's, usernames/passwords, and contact information for your client/developers.

It helps me convey to the developers what bugs are being presented in the software easily and I realize being able to assign tickets back to the developer keeps them organized.

Steffany W.

"Easy to track, easy to use"

What do you like best?

The best features for me are the Cardwall (I manage a support team and this allows me to track the reports they send to the developers), and deployment tools that are easy for a non-developer to deploy various functions, such as restarting servers when necessary.

What do you dislike?

My least favorite part is that it is a little clunky when you're first setting up different filtered views. It's not very self explanatory, but you can get through it on your own. They've made it easier over the years, so I see this functionality being developed further.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely take a look. I've used only a handful of other project management and ticketing tools and this one is by far the easiest to learn and customize.

We rely heavily on Assembla to streamline our support. It helps me know what our highest priorities are at a glance, what open tickets we still need to focus on, who submitted which tickets, and which developers are responsible for the fix. Everything is logged so I can make quick decisions on who to contact for what, update customers as needed, and work with our team to ensure we resolve our technical issues in a timely manner.

Greg G.

"A flexible tool that helped our shop organize and communicate"

What do you like best?

When I used Assembla frequently, it was a much older version. As a DBA, I was able to "email" a ticket in for various schedule jobs that failed so that there was greater visibility of at-risk SQL tasks to the team. I also liked that it was web-based and I could check the status of my projects and tickets without having to be tied to my desk. If given the chance, I'd check out Assembla again to see how it's grown since I last used it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used it in over 5 years, so any complaints about general bugginess have most likely been resolved by now. At times it felt a little too ambitious like it was trying to solve too many business needs such that some features went unused for us. But looking back on it, our shop probably wasn't mature enough to require everything it had to offer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If I were in the market for project management and team collaboration software, I would take Assembla up on their trial offer. I remember it being a pretty solid piece of software.

In a small shop, it was easy to simply send an email to someone to ask for some sort of action. However, if that email was missed, then a critical task could get missed. This gave the team visibility of what we were working on and allowed us to multi-task a little better. It also allowed us to see how much time we were spending on any given project. In addition we gained insight into situations such as tasks that were expected to be 5 hours turning into 50 hours.

Wendy H.

"Project Management Simplified "

What do you like best?

Assembla revolutionized how we did business with a CRM vendor. We were able to log tickets, track them and add resolution to them versus doing the same tasks via email. Prior to Assembla it was confusing to figure out where we left off on a task and sometimes it would be difficult to progress to the next step because we were taking a step back to review prior emails.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I disliked about the product. For our purposes it accomplished what we needed it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great interface, easy to use.

We save immense amounts of time using Assembla and were also able to share information, task details and resolutions with co workers and with our external team. I was able to go in and review all pending tickets as well to make sure no duplicates were entered.

Ben I.

"Assembla changed the way that our team works"

What do you like best?

Integration between tickets, git commits and documentation in the wiki. I love that developers and clients can log into the same system and see the current state of the project. Complete transparency.

What do you dislike?

I have been disappointed with the level of customization on client facing sections of the projects. I would like to be able to have more control over what my clients see.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Assembla pulls all of the critical parts of a development workflow together into one place. Some parts are a bit rough (for example, time estimates and reporting needs work) - Nevertheless, Assembla makes development much easier than it was before. Everything from source control to peer reviews and project documentation is tightly integrated. Full transparency is an easy thing to manage with clients as we simply add them as project team members with read only access.

I highly recommend using Assembla to all development teams.

We have integrated a distributed development team. Assembla has allowed us to have a single place for developers, clients, project managers and QA staff to collaborate.

Divyamol J.

"Best competitor in Agile project management"

What do you like best?

Assembla is best for Project management and Task management. It's Issue tracking system is very feasible and user friendly. We can customize projects based on our needs. Coming to Agile, Scrum methodology can be very well managed with Assembla. A stable and perfect project needs the version control integration, in Assembla it also managed very well. Reporting is the other major highlight of using Assembla. Team members can see each task updates and track other developer's task updates and their dependency check any time.

What do you dislike?

Need to concentrate on mobile platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a beginner then you can easily learn Assembla unlike other software products in this category. Also, you will like the issue tracking system because it is more user friendly and less complex. Also the service team in Assembla is great. If you are a professional, then you can feel the easiness in project management after using Assembla. It doesn't matter if you are technically strong or not for using Assembla.

Project management and Issue tracking are the major things when considering in a mobile or web development application. For that purpose, Agile project management software plays an important role. All these things are easily done with Assembla. Codereview in Assembla is good. Any good software application relies on good and reviewed code. In case of git version control, you can not push directly in to protected branch. These things are very well maintained in Assembla.

CC
Consultant in Computer Software

"Great ticketing system for ticketing overview"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to navigate the system and look up older tickets. I use the Assembla to report bug to R&D and tracking the status and communicating with R&D works great and Assembla allows me to keep a good information flow to R&D which is located in another continent and 9+ hrs time difference. Being able to customize the notification, you are able to stay on top of your issues and lets you know if you need to respond to any of your tickets.

What do you dislike?

Filtering in the KanBan view is often confusing and navigating to my space is often confusing as well. I often loose oversight of tickets due to filtering.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prominent when setting up spaces and make sure to align the standards of reporting for all the spaces.

Reporting software bug to R&D and monitoring the process. Assembla allows us to keep track on each ticket and make sure that it is taken care of in timely fashion. It is very hard to "loose" a ticket in Assembla which is very important for us in order to deliver quality product and service to our clients.

Nathan S.

"Good platform"

What do you like best?

The ability to set up milestones and the daily commit log are really useful for development teams. It is a nice version control and project management platform and never had any issues with the platform. Used on a daily basis at my last job working on a custom software application used in manufacturing. Has integration that are useful for issue tracking and bug reports.

What do you dislike?

User interface is kind of clunky and could use some improvement, otherwise it is a great product and I enjoyed using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a good product for managing dev teams and code review.

Developer communication and issue tracking Peer Review. Version Control

GI
G2 User in Information Technology and Services

"Combined Version Control and Project Management Tools, Great for Distributed Teams"

What do you like best?

Assembla is a nicely integrated site, including version control, issue tracking, general messaging, and private and public wiki spaces. We initially looked at it because they were the official repository server for Perforce, a commercial version control tool. We ended up using it with subversion instead, and it has some nice tools for viewing repositories, changes, versions, in a web page.

What do you dislike?

I ended up not using their issue tracking system, just because I like my Trello lists better. I think they've updated it to be slicker now, but I am still using Trello. The Android app also seemed to be an afterthought, especially compared to Trello.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you can't self-host a subversion+redmine installation, or don't want to hassle with admin, Assembla is worth a try.

It is good for issue tracking, and distributed team collaboration. They used to have a free account up to 3 users, so you could test drive it before jumping in, but I don't think they have it anymore.

Mikal S.

"Assembla is Great!"

What do you like best?

Assembla allows me to manage all of my repos and bug tracking in one easy location. I can manage bugs and track progress towards milestones. The price is also very competitive with other services.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes they change the interface and I need to relearn where things are. Also, some items I use frequently are stick behind multiple click menus.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want an easy to manage site for all-in-one software development tools.

How to manage SVN and bug tracking.

GI
G2 User in Information Technology and Services

"Best for Project Management with Agile Methodology"

What do you like best?

Now a days it is very challenging to handle the project using Agile methodology, ie, SCRUM, Sprint etc. Assembla took that challenge and implemented it more likely for both project managers and developers. Very vibrant UI and usability approach helped this tool to make a mark on the other project management tools. They support both subversion and git repositories. Ticket tracking system is catchy. Mainly the Dependency Report, which is very helpful. Wiki is the another thing which is to be noted. You can keep the project management documentation in wiki and can refer whenever you need or can share with the team.

What do you dislike?

Implement new concept and ideas and improve speed and performance. New interface is good, but sometimes it is too heavy. Mainly concentrate on usability and performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a better Agile based ticket tracking system then Assembla is the best option in today's world. Unlike other heavy project management tools, beginners can easily learn the tool and eventually develop their skills in Project management and ticket tracking, updating system, which is probably the best challenge in development.

Task management, bug tracking are the major things. Adaptation of Agile Methodology and implementation with usability are the main benefits.

Lori K.

"Assembla, interesting but could use some work"

What do you like best?

The cardwall and milestones are easier to immediately set up than other tools. I like being able to invite clients into our team groups for reviewing tickets. And having it SAAS, I can be anywhere to login and work.

What do you dislike?

The lack of cross project tools is painful. I am having to work with a friend to develop our own tools interacting with your APIs to determine hour allocation for projects, developers, qa, across all projects with a usage of hours determined as tickets complete. The generated reports are also not configurable which is also painful. We are having to run filtered CSV exports from the ticket views then run a report and use excel to mash them together for any breadth of insight, per week, per 15 projects. Let me tell you, that is painful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

While this is not the powerhouse of Jira or Target Process, it takes far less ramp up time to get started and work. The integration with Git repos is fantastic. Associating tickets to work, cardwalls for milestones, and management of teams with a wiki for further info are all great out of the box features. While I am still digging into the features, expanding our usage of the tools, I am confident this software can help any dev team striving for ease of process and adoption for their engineering teams.

Hour allocation per dev per client project. Milestone releases for agile process. Better process and automation.

"Assembla as a ticketing system"

What do you like best?

Convenient web interface for managing tickets and team workflow.

Easy to customize (custom fields)

Good integration with email.

What do you dislike?

Never used the version control features.

While there are project / sprint management features available, team never warmed to them and never actively used them.

General search capability over the ticket database could be better.

Ticket and workflow management. Good tracking of work.

Integration with version control (GIT) so that activity in GIT is logged to the tickets using webhooks.

Knowledge management (Wiki)

AI

"Long Time Fan"

What do you like best?

Ease of use - everyone in the company regardless of background, position or technical knowledge has been able to quickly pick it up and use for a variety of tasks.

What do you dislike?

There new features and UI's don't always work as well as you would think. It seems like they might be making it more complicated for users to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the perfect software in environments where not all users are technical. From support staff to sales and sponsors for projects - people who have not used this before quickly pick it up and are interacting within days without spending a lot of time on it.

Tracking project items and issues internally as well as externally with clients.

Zach S.

"Great for large projects, harder to manage for smaller teams."

What do you like best?

Assembla is a very, very robust project management software, replete with a number of features that reward those with a diligent work ethic. This is especially true for SCRUM-based projects or organizations.

If you are working on a large-scale or long term project, it would be hard to go wrong with Assembla given its vast feature set.

What do you dislike?

Assembla's UI can be a bit clunky and it is over-reliant on email notifications. There is a happy medium between Asana, Assembla, and Trello, but I feel like Assembla could benefit the most from an updated UI and UX.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are working with a smaller team, stick to Trello, Todoist, and Drive. If on a larger project, use Assembla to bolster the resources you have available and keep your project on track.

I have not used Assembla in about six months, but my time with the project was enjoyable.

Assembla has helped myself and multiple teams go from conception to completion on a couple of game projects. The built-in task management, easy-to-understand timelines, and integration with major web services allowed us to effectively communicate our workflow.

Martin V.

"A service as I need"

What do you like best?

It's always working, the server never is down and the response is fast

What do you dislike?

Have an API for integration with our tools

Cowork

I have programmers at far locations and we all work together perfectly

UE
User in Entertainment

"Some issues but overall works for the most part"

What do you like best?

Assembla is very simple and easy to use. The interface is laid out in a clear way and not very cluttered.

What do you dislike?

When posting a bug with a file attached, there is a lot of lag and no indication that the bug is posting or the page is loading. I find myself clicking the button to submit the bug multiple times because I am unsure if the request went through.

Also, I don't feel like it is as easy to search for old bugs on Assembla as it is on some other similar bug tracking software like JIRA.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Assembla is simple and easy to use, and if you do not need many elaborate features, this could be a good bug tracking software to use.

I use Assembla for bug tracking in a mobile game. It allows us to quickly and easily report bugs to the developers.

Learn more about Assembla

Assembla Videos

Learning about Assembla?

* We monitor all Assembla reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
4.0