Assembla Reviews & Product Details

Assembla Overview

What is Assembla?

Assembla is the most secure version control and project collaboration platform in the world. We provide secure cloud hosting for Subversion, Perforce and Git repositories with integrated project management for more than 5,500 customers around the globe. Assembla helps development teams meet and even exceed HIPAA, SOC 2, PCI and GDPR compliance standards with our best practice VCS. Embrace agile, meet compliance, and stay innovative while managing all of your projects and source code from a central control point with industry-leading compliance and security.

Assembla Details

Assembla is the secure solution for Git, SVN and Perforce source code repositories. For more than 10 years, organizations around the world have trusted Assembla to deliver high-performance version control with integrated project management, in the cloud or on their own infrastructure.

Assembla is the only development collaboration platform in the world offering NextGen SVN™, SecureGit™ and Perforce Cloud version control repositories with integrated agile project management.

- Only SVN platform with code search, merge requests and locking from WebApp, Desktop and Mobile, all within the AICPA’s SOC 2 framework.
- Most secure Git repository provider, with IP whitelisting, advanced branch protection, and built-in scanning for passwords/secret keys.
- Only provider of managed Perforce Helix Core in the cloud, with options ranging from simple, on-demand P4 depots available at the click of a button to managed multi-depot configurations with globally-distributed replication and high availability/DR.

Assembla

Assembla Reviews

Showing 125 Assembla reviews
Already have Assembla?
Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Assembla is an excellent platform to maintain version control of each project that we carry out in the organization. What I like most is that it is very simple to use, enough for anyone to import or export projects to the repositories. I really like to have a ticket section to report bugs to my colleagues. Assembla includes SecureGit, which has high security standards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The documentation to configure Assembla can be exhaustive. I believe that other alternatives such as videos should be available for users to be guided in the configuration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using Assembla, especially because in addition to being able to handle different repositories at the same time, this tool allows you to report bugs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In my case, I use Assembla to have version control of the projects that are being developed in the organization. In addition, it has also been helpful to have a support center so that we can report errors in the apps to other colleagues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Production Team Lead
What do you like best?

I appreciate the volume of information we can track in Assembla - we can add any kind of metadata we need to track and sort our projects. We can track every date a project has, should, or didn't pass, every person who has touched a project, all of the project data, and more.

The visualization tools are also very powerful, even if the number of fields we need to see can cause Assembla to get a bit overloaded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish organization was a little more powerful, and search in particular is disappointing. When you have hundreds of projects and tickets open at once, finding what you need can be a huge hassle. It would also be nice to have more quick ways to organize your views - right now everything for you and your team is cluttered under a single list. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although Assembla is focused towards programming and code repositories, its project management tools are stellar. If you have a dozen projects or a hundred, and if these projects require a million steps or ten, Assembla allows you to track the information you need. I can fully recommend you get this system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a project management tool that offered good visualization options comparable to a physical ticket board, but was easily accessible by remote team members. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Assembla
Associate Software Engineer
What do you like best?

I like how you get all your tasks and your code repo in one place. Also, Assemble makes it easy to communicate with your team members with in-built mentions and there ability to reference other tasks or code commits. I also really like preview option before you post your comment.Simple to use and a great collaborative tool for our global employees.The advantage of it being integrated with SVN and GIT makes it really easy to manage our repo. Organization of ticket view, ability to share information with colleagues, and ease of use.Easily able to log issues and track them through to completion with our technical team.It used to be a convenient SCRUM/Kanban - style project management tool with seamless SVN integration. Great views of tracking stories through lanes, as well as the ability to track epics and sprints for our software development process. Software tracks each individual users contributions, and also has a built in wiki to document the project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that they've changed their pricing model. We needed to add 1 additional team member, and we needed to switch to much more expensive model.I initially struggled with how to add custom fields and add to the dropdown values, but I was able to figure that out after spending some time looking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Our company has a large number of ongoing projects with even more milestones in progress at the same time split by teams. Assembla has been helping us have a smooth and uniform process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A great software to use for source control on your projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mr.
What do you like best?

All the features Assembla has is best but the ticket managing system are great, also the burn down chart is a great tool to visually inspect your tickets and we can see the worked and remaining hours clearly also the tag system is also great also it is easy to filter between tickets by status, priority and all the things that is needed also the wiki system of Assembla is a great tool to keep any project related or any other documents that helps other user to find what information they need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI interface for the cardwall is not that great, it is stretching the content to the very end of the screen that makes the horizontal scrollbar visible also it just a suggestion in the cardwall if the background color will change for tickets based the priority of the tickets and if we could've choose what color to give for the priority it would've be a great plus point. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I will go for Assembla, it's a great tool to manage your tickets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mainly the burndown chart is great toll which helps to track and monitor how many hours spend/remaining for any specific ticket for the milestone also it helps the user to easily log the effort (Total spent and remaining) hours on the tickets and it helps the supervisor to track the activity and history of the ticket that helps to mange the project better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Developer
What do you like best?

The tight integration between tickets and source code improves developer quality of life. It helps developers trace each line of code to a ticket that helps provide context for why the code is the way it is. Plus, it makes it easier for developers to keep their own tickets up-to-date. Additionally, the code review tools promote better team collaboration and better code. The integration with Jenkins helps our team automate builds and deployments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While the ticketing tool has improved significantly over the last year with the release of the sprint planning tools, the project management tools still lack enough reporting and functionality to fully serve a project of significant complexity. Planning releases, running reports of estimates vs actual time spent, and comparing that across multiple projects is virtually impossible except for the most clever of user.

Also, the source code repos lack integrations with other software services. Using tools like Microsoft App Center or Tugboat always seem to offer connections to Bitbucket and Github...but my code is in Assembla. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

N/a Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assembla helps my team write better software by providing us a simple workflow where the team can clearly see the tasks assigned to them, make the required changes to the code, and submit the code for merge request to collaborate through code review. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Techncal Lead
What do you like best?

Assembla is a great web based tool for code management, Repository Management.

You can handle multiple Project at same time as SPACES.

All the ticket which are followed by you is shown in Home Page. From followed ticket you can easily check the any activity is done on ticket.

If any other user mention you in a comment a notification come and you can also see the notification on dashboard.

You can easily track all the events which was done on ticket through Stream section and also check all the tickets using ticket section also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you add additional worked hours by mistake then you can't change it to less hour.

For ex you worked 20 hour and by mistake you filled 40 hour instead of 20 hour then worked hour value set 40 . Now you are unable to change it as 20 hour.

There is not any way to correct the worked hour value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an awesome tool for Code Management and ManageTicketing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy to maintain tickets, Either it was assigned to you or followed by you. If any activity happened on any ticket you get the notification on email also.

Assembla is a great tool to maintain you project. Great structure for ticketing, we can create Parent Ticket, Related Ticket , it really helps to maintain Proper ticketing for a Project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior UX Designer
What do you like best?

Assembla it's the easiest and most intuitive tool to run sprints that I have ever used, what is really surprising is that it's like you have always used it the learning curve it's to the minimum and any one can jump in into the project and be able to use it with out any trouble Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

what I don't like is that sometimes my session close after a long time of leaving the page, which makes me lose the track of the work I was doing, and the other day some images that I just uploaded doesnt seem to load for everyone on my team Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A more organized and smart way of work among a medium product team with very different roles, this tools seems to be the most effective way of communication and track of task Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I have been working in Assembla for more than 3 years and it is making my life of Testing easier day by day with a lot of clarity. It is acting as a bridge between any Developer & Tester to solve Bugs faster in no time without any hassle of asking again in person. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some times I feel more options may lead to confusing which one to use and which one to not. It is a little clumsy in some places. Need some better User interface (UI) to attract each Activity you depict in Assembla. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As I mentioned it is a Bridge between Developer & Tester, inturn it builds good relationships between the same which is at the most difficult thing in any Organisation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

The Assembla is better compared to the system we usually used. SVN Function in the Assembla is practical, appropriate, handy, convenient and helpful as a developer like me. And I like the most functionality in the Assembla is the Commit in the SVN, it shows the latest checked-in code of my co-worker and it is my easily to tracked the changes in the codes. Thanks to the Assembla SVN Functionality. The second functionality I like the most in the Assembla is we can connect it to any IDE application with an SVN functionality, just simply copy the link of the project and the checked in items from the different developer can be checked out and have a copy on it. Assembla is so convenient as a developer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think i don't have any to say to Assembla that I dislike or dislike the most. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a very nice product and it helps me in my needs as a developer Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem that the Assembla was solve for me was the SVN Commit Functionality. I like it the most functionality in the Assembla is the Commit in the SVN, it shows the latest checked-in code of my co-worker and it is my easily to tracked the changes in the codes. Thanks to the Assembla SVN Functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CC
What do you like best?

Assembla for severals years ago (8+), and always feel confortable with the integrated enviroment, you can setup a version control system for your project, but also it provides issue tracking for your team , with cardboards to follow stages and integrated tools for code reviews and code browsing in the same app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have better code integrations in comments, the hability to use markdown, and to add spoiler sections so if I paste a big piece of code, I could make it collapsed and let others open the contents on demand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a good issue tracking with VCS support, if you want to get it working fast, Assembla is a good option to consider.

Other tools are sell by parts , you could buy a ticket tracker, and a vcs by separate, in assembla you could have both of those in no time, and also have a free stack for small teams!

(I learn assembla from their free plans when was on school several years ago, now I am using at enterprise) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For our work, we need a centralized VCS to share code, but also our stakeholder want to priorize and manage tickets for features or problems founds, and track the progress,

The tool allow us to represent the progress in tickets, but also to do timetracking inside the application.

Timetracking tool is great , the matrix view of times is a good tool to fill up the timesheet in a easy way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

It has everything you need for a development team these days. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is somewhat cluttered to my taste. The look & feel is technical style of 90s - small fonts, screens packed with secondary details. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. It has all the features a modern team may need and the service obviously keeps improving and developing. I have started to use Assembla 8 or 9 years ago, and I clearly see the leap they have made since that time. That's apart from the fact that the service is alive and operational through these years :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it as a Git repo for now, but plan to explore the features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Analyst
What do you like best?

And having it all in there helped me a lot to get going quickly, while also being able to share the same platform with our customers and teammates. They specially seem to be very happy with it, they're the ones creating tickets and updating the wiki which is really nice for a distributed team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm still now learning about some features Assembla has, despite being using it for a few months already. So although I'm all for minimalist interfaces there has to be some way to be able to see what else there is to be done without leaving Assembla, because it's packed with features but you kinda have to know they exist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research and learn to use it properly, there's plenty of stuff hidden to avoid cluttering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm working on a project with several people and several repositories, and Assembla lets us collaborate, document, track and review the progress being made by any of us while also being super simple to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead, DevOps
What do you like best?

When I was first introduced to Assembla, it was very exciting to have both source code and tickets at once place. Assembla team kept introducing new featured at a rapid pace. Time to time they have introduced hooks, likes of ticket id and comments during code commits. Which allowed us to have better control at code quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not like disliking, but I would like to have a report of tickets which I have contributed at any level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Assembla is a one-stop solution for managing projects of any scale. This has very minimal set-up time and least learning curve. I would highly recommend Assembla and their business culture. Treating their clients of all size is worth mentioning. They are very flexible when they announce any changes in their plans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assembla is a one-stop solution for us. we plan, track and execute our projects here. We write our requirement in stories. Translate use-cases into Assembla tickets and then we have created custom tickets life cycle using flexibility in the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EI
What do you like best?

We use Assembla for our projects and we appreciate the fact that each new team member can start use it immediately. We like the possibility to integrate it with other tolls and the ability to extend the data model easily. Assembla is also Reliable. We do not recall any significant downtime, sure there were some issues but it was typically resolved within an hour. It does work as a method by which to manage the software development, a repository (SVN or GIT) is built into the solution. The card wall is a nice drag and drops feature that makes it quick and easy to stay organised. Child/Parents tickets are great too. Assembla provides cool functionalities for collaboration like mentioning, notification, workflow, recent activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We dislike the impossibility to have a Gant Chart inside. We dislike the impossibility to create a pipeline inside it. Assembla isn't as versatile as we would (for example, you can't modify the status's to customise your status or workflow). Having a desktop notification pop-up when you receive a new ticket/updated ticket would be an awesome feature to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Assembla give you the possibility to plan the team work easily. So, it is recommended for the team able to split the activities in task with milestones and to assign them to each team member. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The project managers increased their productivity and the ticket resolutions accelerated using Assembla. We've accelerated in the communication towards the management and other stakeholders like clients, partners, bu managers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Ticketing and source control integration - there are no unnecessary hoops to go through to configure a new project, and out Project Managers seem happy, too! They're constantly releasing incremental improvements, but allowing users to transition to new versions of the tools at their own pace - there's nothing worse than having to re-learn how a vital tool works when you're on a deadline, so having the option to defer is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We like to joke that Assembla loves an email - there was a time where the default notification settings would email everyone related to a ticket for every minor change. These settings are fairly easy to fix, and I think the defaults might be more sensible now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a small to medium-sized web agency hosting and running your own projects, you'll probably benefit from the vast array of tools that Assembla includes under a single subscription. The ticketing isn't quite as configurable as Jira, but the learning curve is shallower - the same for Git hosting vs Bitbucket/Stash. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having access to ticketing, source control, wikis, and project management dashboards under one unified system has allowed us to concentrate on getting work done, rather than working out how to make the tools work. There's nothing ground-breaking about what Assembla does, but it's competently run and has been pretty reliable for us for years, Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

linking of git activity to tickets, and various other services linking together, is very handy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like they do approximately 0 dogfooding and have no QA department at all. I could be wrong, that's just how it feels. I can't count how many bug reports I've filed, but if I had to estimate, maybe 30? A few of those are bugs that affect me every day, but have not been fixed despite me reporting them months ago. To be fair, most of these issues are minor.

Many design decisions are shockingly bad, although it has improved . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I don't view what I do as "solving problems with assembla". Assembla is a tool, and I'm trying to do my job, and assembla helps me do that. Unless the answer you're looking for is "fixing bugs and implementing features"? I don't know how to quantify the benefits, really. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Product Developer
What do you like best?

Managing ticket. Taking reports from card wall. The features are cool. Creating ticket is available by API call which is good feature. I personally feel it is good for development team. Code merge is very good by assembla. Adding user, admin functionality for managing team is very good. Filter about the tickets in a space is useful. Also as a user we can create job task rule to take any report in future is very much useful.

The list we can do filter or can take the ticket report as of any update of ticket as status or by any comment given the assigned person. Reassigning a ticket for code review feature also good as compared to normal ticketing tool system. Very nicely organised the ticket card wall listing with apply of ticket any condition of filter. The dashboard of each space is very good. After the login it shows about user's statistics of ticket's customized status with color is very attractive to team. In one place tracking all the space status is nicely cool feature for a team lead/manager. The due date feature of a ticket is also good to have for team progress and track status under a sprint and release. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Moving ticket from one space to another space should be there in assembla. Wiki page should improve in more fashion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Assembla is good platform for ticket system, SVN, Tracking team task activity progress Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Code merge is better with tortoise, Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Software Engineer
What do you like best?

Pros: Reliability, I've used Assembla for more than 10 years and I do not recall any significant downtime, sure there were some issues but they were typically resolved within an hour. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Cons: It's expensive for what it is, it isn't that versatile (for example, you can't modify the status's to customise your status or workflow) and the pricing recently once the ownership changed hands.

It provides what needed functionalities for collaboration. Like mentioning, notification, workflow, repositories, recent activities. Especially the recent activities, that was the first to go when I opened Assembla. I could find who mentioned me, what card I was following, etc.

Simple to use and a great collaborative tool for our global employees.We've used Assembla for managing our code and document repository. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommendations to other buyers: Adding the desktop notification would be a great feature to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Good SVN Support for Source Code

Clean Interface

WIKI

File Storage Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Development Manager
What do you like best?

I used Assembla both as a developer and customer creating tickets for other developers in my team.

For ticket creation, and for me it excels at this. It's searching/filtering features are excellent, it allows creation of custom fields which can be searched like any other field, and performance is great. This is a difficult thing to do, and it does it well, because often you want to capture information specific to your organisation.

I love the messaging feature, to communicate between our team, it is really useful.

Also great traceability/audtiing of all edits done which is essential.

Also their support is prompt and responsive, this is really important when I have found some minor bugs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I primarily use Assembla for creating/managing tickets - there is nothing standout for me that is annoying, it really is a fine tuned tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider if you need integration to our tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accurate management of tickets and coordination of development with my outsourced development.

With the messaging feature, it is part of the platform used for communicating amongst our team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ms.
What do you like best?

1. It is user-friendly.

2. We can easily handle tasks and Issue Management

3. Capture all the client requirements in the form of user stories

4. It has a centralized communication as we can place our files at one place for reference

5. Keep track of the project deliverables Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Subscription prices are very high that is the reason organizations are using other professional project management tools like JIRA etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great platform and it is user-friendly. The most attractive thing is the UI of the application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We wanted a user-friendly project management platform where we can have the following features:

1. We can easily handle tasks and Issue Management

2. Capture all the client requirements in the form of user stories

3. It has a centralized communication as we can place our files at one place for reference

4. Keep track of the project deliverables Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Producer
What do you like best?

I like that Assembla takes the stress and security of administrating source control off my shoulders while providing additional tools that are helpful for game development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I had some initial problems with billing but the Assembla team sorted it out after I called. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give the Perforce trial a try. Spin up of a space is much faster than self hosting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Source control for object oriented programming in UE4 can sometimes be a pain and Assembla helped by providing predictable billing and saving me time. Source control is the heart of our project and it's good to know Assembla support is there if I need them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder/Producer
What do you like best?

Tasks are easy to create and assign. Time is easy to track. Assembla is a less frustrating tool to work with compared to similar products. I've recommended Assembla for small teams of 2 people, to larger teams upward of 20. I'm sure it scales well for even bigger teams.

There are many tools that connect well together, like referencing tickets in your messages. It makes it easy to organize the entire space. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost is approaching the same as other products where it used to be free for small groups. It's still a good option for small teams, but may require a monthly subscription as the team grows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Task tracking is best across multiple disciplines. In a team space that incorporates programmers, artists, designers, and producers, it's easy to separate out tasks and plan for sprints. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Engineer
What do you like best?

I like the component that permits me assigning errands over my engineers and analyzers I like having the option to welcome customers into our group bunches for exploring tickets I likewise am partial to the capacity to make exclusively sifted perspectives so I can see the venture such that best suits my needs Assembla is extremely straightforward and simple to utilize Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Everybody utilizes Github and it is modest $7 o mo, while Assembla was three fold the amount and rising Even however I don't "generally" like Github, I have a paid Github account I end up tapping the catch to present the bug on numerous occasions since I am uncertain if the solicitation experienced User interface should be more easy to use and needs progressively powerful graphical method for seen includes in the instrument. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

com o bar o john-g-moore o an o 15 o a4b Also, the submit survey catch ought to be on the correct side of the past catch Assembla is basic and simple to utilize, and in the event that you needn't bother with many expound highlights, this could be a decent bug following programming to utilize. I have not utilized Assembla in around a half year, yet my time with the undertaking was charming. Make a point to search around and truly think about what highlights are essential to you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assembla has helped myself and different groups go from origination to fulfillment on a few game undertakings Time the board couple with complex bug following I use Assembla for bug following in a portable game Milestone discharges for nimble procedure Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.