Adobe RoboHelp Reviews & Product Details

What is Adobe RoboHelp?

Adobe RoboHelp 11 software empowers you to deliver differentiated content for different screens using multiscreen HTML5. Generate stunning responsive HTML5 output with a single click, even for legacy projects, or publish content in EPUB 3, KF8, and MOBI formats.

Adobe RoboHelp Profile Details

Adobe RoboHelp Profile Details

Adobe
Description
Adobe (NASDAQ: ADBE) deals in digital media, digital marketing, and printing and publishing software with over 14,000 employees and $4.4 billion in revenue.
1982

1-20 of 20 total Adobe RoboHelp reviews

Adobe RoboHelp Reviews

1-20 of 20 total Adobe RoboHelp reviews
Design Engineer Intern

"Robohelp is a real help for Help documents!"

What do you like best?

It's HTML5 layout, ability to use CSS and XML scripts. Using Robohelp server to checkout a project and make changes so others can see an updated copy.

What do you dislike?

Editing documents can sometimes be a pain as text might be embedded in images and it is difficult to edit.

Robohelp support should be better.

It helps write help manuals, gives me a capability to use my CSS or XML files for better GUI.

The Technical communication suite of Adobe with framemaker, captivate, presenter and Robohelp is a nice package for technical writers. I can integrate FrameMaker with RoboHelp in such a manner that the FrameMaker file can act as source files for RoboHelp WebHelp files. This is good!

Software Developer
Banking

"Unhappy with Adobe Robohelp 11"

What do you like best?

It allows you to do most of the common things one would want in a help system

What do you dislike?

The application is very non-intuitive. The more I use Robohelp, the more it becomes apparent that the designers of it don't use it themselves, otherwise they would have improved the interface a long time ago. It is very frustrating to me to try to use to do something as simple as resolving broken links and an hour later I am still trying to figure out how to resolve some links. It is absurd the hoops I have to jump through to do something a simple as this. And the Help for Adobe Robohelp ironically leaves a lot to be desired, with only text and no graphics showing screenshots of the User interface. I have seen a pattern in Adobe software of things I don't like, but Adobe Robohelp has to be the worst Adobe product I have used to date.

We use it to create a help system for our flagship product. It allows me to do almost everything I would want to do, but sometimes with great difficulty and frustration. The user interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Senior Instructional Designer and Media Developer

"Great Responsive Design for Help Systems"

What do you like best?

We have been using RoboHelp for years at our software company. We use it to produce WebHelp, Eclipse Help, and Responsive Design web help. We also create contextual help with it for one of our software products. We currently use RoboHelp 11 and are very pleased with it. It is our main - go to tool for producing help systems for our software products. The newer Responsive Design feature is awesome. You don't even have to enter Viewport sizes or redesign for each Viewport size. It flawlessly redesigns the screen for whatever size of Viewport it is. (I wish Adobe's Captivate did that!)

What do you dislike?

One thing we cannot do with Adobe RoboHelp 11 is to do contextual help in a Responsive Design. We still haven't seen this feature in RoboHelp or RoboHelp 2015. We are still waiting on Adobe to put this feature into their product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We prefer Adobe RoboHelp over some of the new DITA tools we've tried. They are very cumbersome and difficult to use. Just about anything or any reason you would want a DITA tool is addressed in Adobe RoboHelp. You can reuse blocks of text as snippets and you can do conditional build tags to product one help system in many different ways. We currently buy the stand alone product with regular pricing but we will consider their subscription pricing in the future so that we always have the most up-to-date version of RoboHelp.

We strive to product the best, easiest to navigate, most complete, and easiest to use software help systems to put into our software products. If customers can find the information they want and need, they will be happier with our software products. If they are happy with our products, they will be more likely to buy other products from us. Adobe RoboHelp assists us in providing first class quality help systems that are easy to navigate and now we can even give customers responsive design so that they can view help systems on any of their devices (mobile or not).

I

"Enjoy the Ease of Use"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use RoboHelp. Working in design view is simple, and requires little training. The Source Control functionality is by far the best I’ve seen.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes RoboHelp is finicky with the HTML code. If you have to go into the code to fix something, it can be challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have an IT team that can support the deployment maintenance. Your daily users will need little daily support once the system is launched.

We publish two websites that house procedure and guidelines.

Manager of Technical Documentation
Wireless

"Great for producing online help"

What do you like best?

Converts existing FrameMaker documentation into various online help formats. I use WebHelp (combination of HTML and Java) that runs from within a graphical application. There are a number of other formats supported as well.

The online search is excellent and context sensitive. It ranks search hits on relevance, and is pretty accurate.

What do you dislike?

It requires a bit of manual format mapping that is not intuitive and takes a while to debug.

This is not an intuitive product, but in fairness it is a powerful tool and it likely would be hard to make something this complicated much easier. Still, it has a learning curve, and helps to know someone who has used the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is closely integrated with FrameMaker, so if you use that as an authoring tool, this is as seamless as you are going to find to the best of my knowledge.

Creating dynamic online help with search and hypertext links.

This provides our customers a superior experience when they are learning to use our products.

Technical Writer

"Complex but powerful authoring tool"

What do you like best?

I like that robohelp is highly customizable

What do you dislike?

Robohelp interface is a little difficult to use because there are so many options. I feel like I use basic capability because it gets very technical.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You must be design/tech savvy to learn the software and use it well.

Robohelp is a great authoring tool for end-user instruction. I create many projects for different clients and export to Word or upload as HTML5.

"Excellent new features make authoring faster and mobile"

What do you like best?

Dynamic Filtering is my favorite feature of RoboHelp (2015 Release), saving many hours and effort of authoring time, as well as providing a great experience for the user. Dynamic filters allow users to narrow down the topics to be displayed in the Table of Contents similar to how they can narrow down which shirt to buy on a clothing web site by size or color. For example, say you have a help app for explaining tips on being productive. The user might want to see just tips relating to their Headquarters Office (HQ) location and just relating to Managers. By clicking both these boxes and then viewing the Table of Contents, they will only see tips for HQ Managers.

This feature makes use of the conditional build tags that current authors are familiar with. If I were to accomplish this in the prior release, I would have had to use conditional tags with multiple outputs, or perhaps had several books in the table of contents with what I thought the relevant content would be, or would have had to use the WebHelp output in order to use content categories, or perhaps some other solution. None of those solutions would accommodate all the possible outcomes that the user might want and would have resulted in possibly many outputs, which means more publishing time and effort on my part, which is not desirable. Now, I can have one simple table of contents and the users can click the Filter icon and decide real-time what they want to see! It’s fantastic.

Filters are quite flexible. In addition, you can hide the filters if you don’t want this feature to display, set a default filter selection, and allow multiple selections or only one selection. Note that this feature is in the new Responsive Design Layout, which brings me to the next favorite.

What do you dislike?

It creates documents instead of pages in SharePoint when you integrate with SharePoint. This prevents the user from seeing the changes in the SharePoint page history screen. This may not be important but is just something I've noticed and would have liked to seen handled a different way. You can view track changes via MS Word, so there are ways around that, which may or may not be better depending upon your personal opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product is good for people to pick up quickly, as it looks like MS Word. If you are a full-time technical writer, you can do some more sophisticated things. As a fairly simple trainer/writer who uses this on and off, I like the ease of the product. I don't have a need to generate anything xml or to see code in an xml format, so can't comment on that. I do like that It integrates with SharePoint which could be useful depending on what you are trying to do. The RoboHelp search might be better than the SharePoint search; the question is which search you want to use and does it matter which you use.

I want to publish information quickly, easily and nice looking for the end user. I use SharePoint but SharePoint is clunky when it comes to a lot of content. Using RoboHelp and publishing to SharePoint is a big help. The mobile app and ebook features are other ways to accomplish this. Filtering will also solve the problem of having to generate multiple outputs for different sets of content, and the Responsive Design layouts also solve the need for multiple outputs, which in the past took time to generate and manage. Now, it's much simpler.

Telecommunications

"RoboHelp Is Pretty Good"

What do you like best?

+ Many companies have RoboHelp, know it, and use it. If you have a problem or question about it, you can probably find someone who can help you.

+ RoboHelp is a pretty stable, mature tool. Adobe does a good job of maintaining it.

+ Among the world of help authoring tools, RoboHelp is fairly easy to learn and use (though I would not say it is trivial).

TIP: If you choose it, consider investing in formal training--ideally in-person classroom training if your management will approve it.

What do you dislike?

- I don't find it as feature-rich and flexible as some other help authoring tools.

- I don't find it well-documented. It was hard for me to find good, comprehensive user manuals for it. Best way to get these is to enroll in formal training. (Refer to my tip above.)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are new to RoboHelp, try your best to get your management to send you to formal classroom training in it. Ideally, play with it a little before you attend the training.

I am providing user documentation for land mobile radio system programming software. I revised a help system that enables users to take full advantage of the latest release's new features.

Product Requirements Analyst - Mobile Products

"A decent solution for old-school help files"

What do you like best?

The biggest advantage of using RoboHelp is the integration with our primary documentation tool, Adobe Framemaker. All of our standard documentation is written and maintained in Framemaker, so RoboHelp made the transition from user guides to help files relatively painless.

The fact that RoboHelp inherited the navigation structure from Framemaker can save you substantial time as long as you structure your Framemaker documents in a way that will be conducive to web help navigation.

What do you dislike?

There were a couple of things about RoboHelp that we as a team did not like:

1. It seemed like the import from Framemaker would arbitrarily fail sometimes. We would run the import and it would fail, then we would run it again immediately after and it would succeed. This was annoying, and it was a constant kickoff point for our "is there a better solution than Robohelp" discussions. That having been said, with enough attempts we could always import our Framemaker files successfully, so it was more of an annoyance than a real obstacle.

2. The built in templates and styles are not very good. Styles can be updated and tweaked, but that requires knowledge of CSS and HTML. While these skills are becoming more and more prevalent these days, not all documentation team members possess them. If your team does not have someone who knows how to format and style web content, then you will be stuck using very dated-looking user interfaces.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you currently use Framemaker, then Robohelp is your best bet for turning your documentation into help files.

If you do not use Framemaker to manage your existing documentation, then there may be a better choice out there for you.

We needed to turn our standard user documentation into web help or in application .chm help files. Robohelp made this transformation pretty simple, all things considered.

Senior Technical Writer

"Adequate but not state of the art authoring tool"

What do you like best?

RoboHelp does a decent job of producing online help in various formats including HTMLHelp (.chm) and WebHelp. RoboHelp for Word works for anyone still producing the obsolete WinHelp 4 format.

The tool is relatively easy to use and works fairly well. You can easily manage things such as multiple table of contents files and multiple index files if you are producing versions of an online help system. I have an older project that I still maintain in RoboHelp and it has four different versions each requiring its own ToC and Index.

The WebHelp output is a standard tri-pane design, and if you are fluent in .css you can make it look decent.

What do you dislike?

While RoboHelp works okay it is not a state of the art tool. It does not have a full complement or suite of additional tools that can help with all aspects of the authoring process.

I've used both RoboHelp and AuthorIT and have switched from those tools to MadCap Flare which was a wonderful suite of tools that make the development process far more efficient.

The online help for RoboHelp (similar to all Adobe help) leaves quite a bit to be desired. It is slow and difficult to find the info you need. I've often just used Google to find an answer instead of using the RoboHelp help system.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You may want to conduct a review and comparison with other tools. Consider things such as integrated screen capture, SME review capability, translation management, etc.

We used RoboHelp a few years ago to convert older WinHelp 4 systems to both HTMLHelp (.chm) and WebHelp systems. However we only use it for maintenance of older projects currently. New projects are all developed using Flare.

Technical Writer

"Great authoring tool; industry-standard; flexible features"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of deciding what buttons display, what icons I use for display, and how to help appears and functions for the end user. I can decide right out of the box how the user interface is going to function based on my company's needs.

What do you dislike?

You still must know some HTML in order to use RoboHelp, because if you don't, you are going to have great difficulty in formatting - wrong words will get bolded and underlined.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be aware that there is a bit of a steep learning curve, especially if the person who will be writing the Help will be using RoboHelp for the first time. Also be aware that RoboHelp still has conflicts with Microsoft Word.

We have ten software products, and I'm the only RoboHelp user / Technical Writer in the company. I need to be able to keep ten online Help programs running and consistent with one another. RoboHelp is my tool, and it is one of my favorite tools. I do not know of any reason why I would want to quit using RoboHelp or any reason that I would not want to use RoboHelp. I am able to make changes to content in RoboHelp very quickly and easily. RoboHelp makes me be able to do my job efficiently by being able to copy style sheets from one of our products to another.

IC

"Manage online help system created and maintained with Adobe RoboHelp"

What do you like best?

Once you learn to use it, RH Is flexible and allows for a lot of different output styles and formats.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve to get started it high for new users, and it doesn't work cross-versions as well as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would be sure about which version you start with, since the multiple versions do not play well together. Also be sure you have the time/resources to train users to use it properly, as the styles, templates, etc. are not obvious just from previous experience with MS Word, etc.

We use to RH to create and manage online help pages. We also use it to create release documentation. It is a benefit to be able to use the same tool for multiple types of outputs.

Technical Communicator

"So easy to use!"

What do you like best?

WYSIWYG environment, pods, and topic list. These make content so much easier and pleasant to work with! There are so many templates you can customize to get the look and feel you want, the the html view is great for troubleshooting.

The image mapping capability is a gem--there is none simpler and it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Other pluses:

You can easily see which topics are linked, so you know if it's okay to delete something.

Simplicity of creating and managing keywords

What do you dislike?

After working in a content management system, I find that the snippets fall short of real content management and re-usability. With multiple authors working on a large complex help system, it is too difficult to find reusable content so content is often recreated, causing problems when updates are needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it is easy to use and the output is attractive. it is not true content management.

Creating smaller help systems for individual modules, though previously created large help system with many modules linked to each other. It is easy to create helps quickly and the intuitive interface makes it easy to produce help that is state of the art.

Global Process Excellence Project Manager; Senior Instructional Design
Logistics and Supply Chain

"Single-source publishing for multiple delivery mediums! Finally!"

What do you like best?

After using other software packages to publish on-demand help/searchable databases, RoboHelp has proven to be far and above better than hand-coding and making it easy to reach ALL my users regardless of device.

What do you dislike?

While the interface has remained stable...it seems a bit dated (although unsure about the 2015 release). I've had some difficulty leveraging CSS3 for sizing images...but was able to include simple code to fix it. Other than that, simply don't have many things I "dislike".

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd like to see similar outputs through AEM...with perhaps responsive layouts handled better.

We were looking to provide an online reference guide for a set of rules/procedures for compensation along with the opportunity to actually "try" some exercises and simulated software activities. It handled all of them quite well. Although we did not track activities (like an LMS) but wonder if we could?

(10,001+ employees)

"There's a good reason RH is an industry standard"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, has all the features I want, and is flexible (has both design editing a and HTML editing).

What do you dislike?

That it opens all pages in a project, instead only the last one.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product! I love it.

Creating outstanding help files.

Senior e-learning Articulate Storyline Designer/Developer
E-Learning

"Robohelp10 for creating Desk Procedures"

What do you like best?

It's versitilty. I created dynamic courses using all the tools available with awesome custom graphics and java script dropdown

What do you dislike?

I was using RH10 and the crashing problems seemed to be fixed. So it worked well with no issues

Ease of use. I was tasked to design our courses that the user could obtain information in 30 seconds and 3 clicks. My designs using the custom bookmarking down to 1 click and about 10 seconds. The indexing features was awesome and I wish I could use this in my current position.

C
(10,001+ employees)

"Adobe is dropping the ball"

What do you like best?

I have yet to figure that out. I used RoboHelp for 25 years and it just keeps getting worse.

What do you dislike?

Adobe purchased RoboHelp to say that it had a complete documentation suite, but they haven't kept up with other competing applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use MadCap Flare.

Single-sourcing software and hardware documentation to responsive digital content, PDF, and Word.

G

"Great for creating online help files"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, and gives professional results. HTML help can be customized to your needs.

What do you dislike?

Not much, customization of design and look could be more straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More features than free alternatives.

Creating online help for complex and specialized software programs.

"Great software for Technical Writers"

What do you like best?

I really liked using RoboHelp for technical writing. The software was easy to use, and I loved the conditional formatting options. You could customize your help to exclude or include specific references based on software versions. The online help was good as well.

What do you dislike?

I really liked everything about RoboHelp and didn't have any issues.

It helped us create great online documentation for our clients.

"RoboHelp Gets the Job Done"

What do you like best?

RoboHelp is part of the Adobe suite of products. It allows you to manage and output your online help.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it is not as easy to single source as Madcap Flare.

It allows up to conditionalize our online help.

Adobe RoboHelp User Ratings

7.0
Ease of Setup
Average: 8.4*
* Help Authoring Tool (HAT) Category
Do you work for Adobe RoboHelp?

Adobe RoboHelp Categories on G2