SmartBuilder Reviews & Product Details

SmartBuilder Overview

What is SmartBuilder?

SmartBuilder is the first and only HTML5 elearning authoring tool to provide the power of programming to instructional designers, trainers, and other non-programmers. This allows users to create branching scenarios, case exercises, games and other serious elearning far faster than before. The software provides wizard-based templates so that beginners can also create content. SmartBuilder runs on Windows and Mac and generates HTML5 content that runs on all major computers and mobile devices.

SmartBuilder Details

SmartBuilder further streamlines the development process with content management and collaboration features that enable your team to work together more efficiently.

SmartBuilder
Capitola, CA
@smrtbuilder
133 Twitter followers

SmartBuilder Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the SmartBuilder community
Have you used SmartBuilder before?

SmartBuilder Reviews

Showing 12 SmartBuilder reviews
Already have SmartBuilder?
UE
What do you like best?

Firstly, I understand learning and engagement but I don't know programming or coding. Smartbuilder has enabled me to use my skills and not worry about the technical side. The drag and drop jigsaw nodes are amazing if you can structure thought. There's so much that is possible with SmartBuilder that I'm constantly innovating, trying new ideas and more often than not - succeeding. The customer support is exceptional. Literally every question I've asked has been answered, solved, demonstrated and explained in a manner that has helped me shorten the learning curve tremendously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not dislike, but still trying to find my way through features. There are some maps and functions that don't yet have tutorials. Any apprehensions are overcome by the customer service though.

There is an initial learning curve but the tutorials are really helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't get stuck with just conventional e-learning options. There's a lot more you can do and SmartBuilder gives you those possibilities. Push the boundaries Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital experiences for literally any industry. E-learning is just one area in this field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Smart Builder has responsive customer service - giving you great support when you need it. The customisable interface is my favourite and the app is generally easy to use. Tutorials are a must. With regards to the tutorials, they are clear and simple to follow and provide you with what you need to get started. Great App! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's not much that I dislike about the app. There is a slight learning curve but this is made easy with tutorials that are available on the site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the tutorial as far as you can, they very useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creating a non-linear approach to eLearning. GIving the learners options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Learning Product DEvelopment & Innovation
What do you like best?

As a SmartBuilder user for a number of years, it's become my default tool not only for learning content authoring, but also as a sketchpad and sandbox for experimenting with new and innovative learning experiences and approaches. Unlike some other authoring tools, SmartBuilder doesn't try to push you down particular design paths through templates or pre-set interactions, but instead offers a sophisticated and flexible tool-set to build your own. Despite this, it's still both an easy tool to learn and powerful enough to be pushed hard. Finally, their support team are second to none. Enthusiastic and expert support is always available over chat and email. I'm even on first name terms with a few of the support team as they've helped me find ways to solve design and coding problems. Often they will take a problem of mine and share a solution as a personal screen-grab video or usable project file. No other tool has got close. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In today's mobile world, the one area where I'd like to see SmartBuilder evolve further is in true responsive design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've built rich, robust and reliable content in SmartBuilder for many years with minimal issues over multiple years of use. I'm currently exploring its xAPI functionality which is already opening up a world of possibilities for meaningful measurements and analytics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I spent a considerable amount of time searching for a program which would allow me to combine text slides with video, audio, graphics, interactive quizzes, and a navigable menu. I do not have any prior coding experience which made the project of creating a learning module from scratch seem daunting. SmartBuilder is a program for the rest of us- it was so easy to get started after watching just a few tutorial videos. As others have commented, the customer support has been tremendous. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like SmartBuilder has more capabilities than those touched on by the tutorials, but that is what the support line is for I suppose. Also agree that the full price seems a little on the expensive side. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take full stock of what features the program has, and design your course around them. Also be sure to use the support staff and online community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creates a base template for my learning module, which I then have been able to add video, audio, etc to. It is so user friendly that it feels like using an enhanced PowerPoint! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Designer
Consumer Services
What do you like best?

SmartBuilder provides a great deal of flexibility in the way that one builds a course. Many tools provide only a single way of building an interaction or force you to use predefined, scripted, elements within a course. SmartBuilder provides many of these types of pre-built items; but, they are there to be used by only if you want to do so and not because there is no other way.. For example, there are quiz question templates and drag and drop templates that are ready to be used; but, you can easily use the software's building tools to create your own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

SmartBuilder is one of the few tools that I have used where I honestly have to think pretty hard to come up with something that I don't like.The puzzle piece building elements take some getting used to when creating interactions, but isn't something that I would say I dislike...it is more of being something you don't see in other tools. There is a lot going on in the work space with properties windows, the stage, the various ribbons and such. However, that is dealt with nicely by having the means to quickly switch work outputs to meet what you are doing at any given time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are need of a tool that does not restrict how you develop your content or if you need more power to get creative than you current toolset allows, I would recommend considering SmartBuilder. The learning curve may be higher than some other tools; however, the training and support provided by the company goes beyond anything I have experienced. Many tools rely mostly on their communities to support one another; but, SmartBuilder support is easy to contact and have always been more that willing to jump on a call and work through any confusion I have had about using the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SmartBuilder is the first and only tool that I use that actually makes creating ALL kinds of eLearning practical and feasible. Many tools work well for creating content based, knowledge, learning while the strength of other lies in creating software simulation style learning. With SmartBuilder, we have a tool that is able to handle both easily and well. Much of that is owed to the flexibility that it provides in the way you can use it's building tools. We have easily created complex wiring simulations in which learners drag cords to the correct locations and yet are also able to very closely simulate our various computer systems. Having a single tool that does all of these things well has saved us time and money since we no longer feel the need to have a tool for each of those needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Customer Education Manager
What do you like best?

Like most of us, I like to work smarter, not harder. SmartBuilder is the "smarter not harder" worker's best friend.

Pre-SmartBuilder, I spent several years working with other rapid authoring tools and SmartBuilder, oh how I love thee. Let me count the ways! As another reviewer mentioned, with SmartBuilder you aren't limited to a narrow, linear format when creating eLearning courses. With literally anything I can think up, SmartBuilder can help me make it happen. The simplicity and flexibility of the logic for automations is unparalleled. If you are comfortable with "If, then" logic and have a reasonable sense of design, you will pick this up quickly.

The richness and authenticity of the interactive and simulation elements that I'm able to build using their branching scenarios has really improved the relevance of the courses I'm able to produce. SmartBuilder offers templates that are great for new users or if you're in a time crunch. You can also build your own templates, which is a game changer. I can establish design elements within a course and disseminate to other courses in a given learning path without any extra steps or copying and pasting.

SmartBuilder makes it incredibly easy to create versatile content that can be consumed on a mobile device or computer - with no extra effort on the part of the author.

As if all of this amazing, easy-to-learn, versatile functionality isn't enough, the support and service that I've received is top notch. These guys really care if my projects are a success and get excited when I get excited. The live chat support is stellar, and the SmartBuilder crew are quick to hop on a call and offer their assistance. The synchronous tutoring sessions are super valuable; the team (thanks, Nav, Rob, and crew!) works hard to make sure that what you learn during these sessions is relevant to your use case.

In short, there is absolutely nothing like this product on the market. If you've gotten frustrated with the few popular rapid authoring options (or if you like them fine but you're ready to up your game and want more options when authoring), SmartBuilder is your buy. Hands down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would be useful to be able to publish to 2004 3rd Edition without tweaking the imsmanifest file. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the support and customer education opportunities they offer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SmartBuilder has alleviated my frustration with a lack of flexibility and ease of use when leveraging other authoring tools, and has given me the ability to deviate from standard linear courses. The simulation capability is outstanding, and customer service absolutely can't be beat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales Training Specialist
Internet
What do you like best?

After being asked to find an eLearning authoring tool to used with our new LMS, I researched many different platforms. Most were very difficult to use out-of-the-box. There was also minimal support and training resources available. Enter SmartBuilder. First off, the website gives great examples of outcomes from using their product. They also have some side-by-side comparisons of how using their product can speed up production time. I also noticed, right away, that there were many opportunities for support. From live chats to video tutorials, SmartBuilder is not leaving anyone in the dark. More on that later.

The platform itself is fairly intuitive. I was able to download the free trial and have a quick lesson built that same day. All of the tools that I needed are there. One of the things that I especially love is that you are not constrained by templates. Many of the other platforms that I looked into relied heavily on customizing preset templates with little opportunity to start from scratch. SmartBuilder provides the best of both worlds. There are on-board templates that are available and make courses more interactive and engaging.

With background in Education, my technical skills aren't the highest. SmartBuilder's action blocks made that a non-issue. The system of utilizing blocks to piece together events, actions, buttons, etc. makes it easy for those of us who are not as savvy with that type of coding/programming.

When it comes to support, SmartBuilder can't be beat. Even as a trial user, the support that SmartBuilder provides is amazing. Starting out I had a few questions so I started a Live Chat. The person on the other end was quick to answer and asked to hop onto a screen-share so that he could show me the solution to my problem and not just forward some instructions. Since starting with SmartBuilder, I have reached out with questions a few times and the story has been exactly the same. All of the reps that I have spoken to have been extremely knowledgable, prompt to respond and most of all, helpful. The online resources are another great addition to this product. SmartBuilder offers video tutorials for many functions and features of their platform. They are easy to follow and very comprehensive. In addition to all of that, they also offer live, online training sessions throughout the month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features that I'd like to see updated but nothing major. Some functions take a few more clicks than some may be used to but after a little time, you get used to it. I'd like to see the rich text editor fixed up a bit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My team has been tasked with building out product specific certification courses for our global sales team. SmartBuilder made it possible for our first module to be completed ahead of our deadline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director Owner
E-Learning
What do you like best?

It has plenty of flexibility as far as templates and functionality, however you can have the freedom of developing from a blank canvas to create any innovative designs and content.

For the Artemis project we needed an authoring tool that would allow us to make a wide variety of rich learning experiences. Many of these included branching scenarios and gamification elements. The SmartBuilder software was always up to the task. We also appreciate the capability to quickly prototype activities and obtain feedback from stakeholders before diving into full development.

The course has been delivered to over 9133 learners across the UK, with 90% recommending it and has provided an estimated £581,580.00 in savings to the 6 Children’s Trusts that funded the initial development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Accessing and developing online could sometimes be a bit slow, however in their latest version they have a desktop app and their update has resolved the problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

tried and tested product and delivers and meets expectations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It helps us deliver innovative interactions that is not governed by templates to help meet customer and learner needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Performance Center Manager
What do you like best?

I like that I can dream up anything and SmartBuilder can make it happen. I have run into walls time and time again with other authoring software and have felt limited in what I can make. With SmartBuilder, the sky is the limit. I have made everything from regular elearning to performance support tools like calculators. I like that it's a software that grows with you - in the beginning, you can get up and running quickly and build simple things, then create more advanced things as your needs grow. It runs circles around Captivate, Articulate, or anything else on the market. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I haven't run into anything I don't like about the tool yet. The authoring environment is great and the company is great to work with. They have very responsive live chat support and when bugs are discovered, they fix them quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation would be to give it a try. They offer a free trial of the software. Give it a shot. You'll love it. However, don't set your expectations too high at first. It is kind of like using Photoshop...getting the basics down is easy, but there is a lot to learn and a lot it can do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A huge benefit for us is not having to send apps to IT to build for us. They take months to build anything and I can build the same app in SmartBuilder in a few days. It is saving us time and money like crazy. Our company moves fast, so it's nice to have a tool that can keep up with the demand for elearning and performance support tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We had an elearning course originally developed on Authorware (taken over and then laid to waste by Adobe) and I struggled to find an elearning development platform with the functionality of Authorware. Smartbuilder has all that and more. It is quick and really intuitive to work with and I've been able to reproduce the multilayered interactive format (and more) of the original Authorware course. Smartbuilder publishes direct to HTML5. The Smartbiulder customer service is second to none. The responses to questions are prompt, personal and resolving. Highly recommended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing not to like about this program. I've been involved as a user during the beta phase prior to general release. Any issues have been quickly resolved and the development team are incredibly responsive to user suggestions and feedback Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The benefit was quick and flexible elearning development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Designer/Project Manager
Higher Education
What do you like best?

First, there is a learning curve to this, just as there is with any of these tools. BUT I've never had better customer service than with this company. I love their HTML5 availability and the professional looking scenarios and drag and drop activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While there is an education discount I'd like to see a larger one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try, you won't be disappointed with the product or their customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Making scenarios for training exercises was my primary objective, but then I stumbled across the drag and drop capabilities and that was a game changer. I like the details, the customer service, and the tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Designer (Contractor)
Education Management
What do you like best?

The free version of SmartBuilder is very comprehensive to meet the needs of introductory IDers. If you are working with a small or even medium sized learner pool, this may be the right tool for you. The free version is very comprehensive, to meet the needs of the designer and the learners, without breaking a set budget.

I personally was able to utilize this tool to create interactive eLearning modules for a local camera club in the Chicagoland area. My learner pool was 40-50 members, along with various local groups we partnered with, providing the learning modules to them free of charge. If you take the time and make the effort to utilize this tool and all of its features, you can create elaborate, effective eLearning, with little or no budget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Like most authoring tools, the full version is very expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a limited budget and are looking to utilize an authoring tool for eLearning on a small-scale, this is the product for you. It has many similar functions to the big name products such as Storyline and Captivate, while being a free product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Finding a free, effective authoring tool for creating eLearning modules on a limited budget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.