Nexternal eCommerce Platform Reviews & Product Details

Nexternal eCommerce Platform Overview

What is Nexternal eCommerce Platform?

The Nexternal eCommerce Platform is a PCI Service Level 1 hosted system that enables brands to sell products directly to consumers or other businesses online, in person, or over the phone. The platform has been continuously evolving since 1999 and has features that will not be found in simpler applications. The software is a single database solution that provides a holistic overview of customer activity regardless of the channel the purchaser is utilizing. All orders can be managed in a web base Order Management System that is integrated with the major shipping carriers, allowing for efficient order processing. Our newest application, TrueCommerce Engage is a mobile point of sale solution that, uses the same database as the online catalog.

Nexternal eCommerce Platform Details

Provides hosted shopping cart software and ecommerce solutions.

TrueCommerce provides its Nexternal eCommerce platform to brands of all sizes. Unlike template based systems, the Nexternal platform maintains the merchant's branding, navigation, and website design throughout the entire shopping experience. The platform is used to capture and create omnichannel orders which include: B2C, B2B, Amazon, call center, in-person, subscription, club orders, and even quotes. Using TrueCommerce Connect, the platform has several turnkey integrations to synchronize order data between popular accounting and ERP systems. The Nexternal eCommerce Platform also includes a robust API, powerful marketing tools, integrated fulfillment capabilities and first-rate customer support.

TrueCommerce

Nexternal eCommerce Platform Videos

Nexternal eCommerce Platform Screenshots

Nexternal eCommerce Platform Reviews

Showing 34 Nexternal reviews
Already have Nexternal eCommerce Platform?
What do you like best?

I'm new to the platform, although the platform has been used within our company for years. I'm relieved to find out that we can update it to look much more attractive and look like our main site. It seems to offer all that we need, we just need to figure out how to implement it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The platform is not totally intuitive and it is an odd mix of self-serve, self-implemented HTML and necessary developer support. It's hard to determine what we can do ourselves and what we cannot (when comparing to other, more attractive storefronts). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'm new to this myself- but our customer contact has been amazing. Very responsive via email, and jumped on a call quickly. He really knows his stuff and is very supportive. I'd say work directly with your customer contact and save yourself some time in trying to figure things out on your own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been running the store independently from our site for years. It has been a nice way to collect sales, even though Ecommerce was never a primary focus. Now we will be working to connect it to the products on our main site and finally offer visitors a direct path to purchase. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to self-manage our CONTENT is HUGE for us; we don't have to wait on anyone's timeline, or worry about not making a deadline for a customer. When we complete a contract on a new line of products, we can have it in front of our customers "same day". Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The tax reporting is somewhat light-weight. For example, when filing & remitting taxes to all US states and jurisdictions, we are required to report all non-tax sales as well as taxed sales. The only way to obtain the non--taxed sales is to subtract the taxed sales from the total sales, by jurisdiction, which take hours. It seems it would be so simple for Nexternal to provide the same data for sales that were not taxed, as it is for the sales that were taxed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Speed of "concept-to-reality" is a huge benefit. For example, yesterday we finalized negotiations on a list of 168 items for the Hospitality industry. within just a few hours we already have almost half of them "live" for our customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that Nexternal has dedicated customer service. While it is extra, I don't have to wait on hold to get a hold of someone to help with I have problems. Nexternal makes it easy for our customers to place orders. Putting products into the back end of the website is easy. They also have detailed instructions and articles to read if you ever are confused about what to do. I like that they offer the loyalty program for our customers and easily integrates with other programs. It is also great that we have enhanced inventory which helps us easily keep track of inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the shipping and local delivery are tied together. It makes it difficult to have inventory between the two locations. Sometimes we may have an item at one location and not the other. So I can't just turn it off in one location. Also, local delivery should be based upon zip code-I just can only offer local delivery for the whole state of Texas. Which is difficult explaining why I can't deliver to Dallas when we are in Boerne/Austin. I wish that our customers could also choose a time for local pick ups. Inventory wise, it would be nice if you would print out an inventory sheet of all items, so you could physically take inventory. I dislike that I have to manually go in and process funds. I wish that it was just automatically done. When we go into the holidays and have hundreds of orders, it makes it difficult to manually process each order. I wish that shipping were easier and didn't take so much time printing the labels. Batch printing is hard to do when in two different locations. IT caused more headache than it was worth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pay the extra for a dedicated service representative. It is worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Loyalty points for my customers is something that we've always wanted to offer but most programs are really expensive and just cost too much. This is just directly integrated and don't have to use another program to use. Club memberships are great and easy to use. Inventory has always been a problem and Nexternal is making it easier to keep track of in two different locations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

We have used Nexternal since late 08/2014. We appreciate the ability to have custom pricing on a per-product, per-category, per-store basis PER-CUSTOMER. Due to the uniqueness of buying habit for each customer, we needed a way to tightly control pricing so it correlates to their order volume. We also appreciate having the ability to set multiple ship from locations, each having it's own calculation logic. We ship from our warehouse, we drop ship, we use freight, UPS and Fedex, some products have fixed shipping, in some cases we auto calculate and in other cases different rates apply for a given product depending on the number of items purchased. Nexternal solved our shipping calculation issues, and did this across several different geographic areas. We looked at all of the typical webshop solutions and none of them had the flexibility we needed. The third, and not least, thing I like best about Nexternal is the access to my relationship manager. She worked with us throughout the implementation, and remains accessible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The administrative side of the system is a bit antiquated in it's user interface. There is not a "sandbox" to test layout adjustments in. The primary integration connection is through TrueCommerce, the company that owns Nexternal. No Zapier Connection, or ODBC like connections to push and pull. All data related functionality is via export and upload. Some of the functionality doesn't have great documentation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems we have solved are the unique pricing models need for various customers and distributors, and the complex shipping calculations. The benefits we have realized is that we now we can process orders immediately and we no longer manually calculate shipping. This translates into better customer experience and lower processing cost per order. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Personalized service is a huge benefit but the breadth of features (and tons of customizable settings) are the real value. So far there isn't anything I've wanted to do that couldn't be done, and the dedicated customer rep quickly showed me how to do it. It's not a perfect platform (what is? ... and I tried most of them before landing on Nexternal) but after 10 years I'm completely satisfied. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm still not thrilled by the ASP url/paths but it hasn't affected my SEO so I'm not stressing about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is more control here than any other platform I have found ... and I've tried most of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I no longer have to manage my own server, code and SSL. The interface is fast and easy to navigate (they even integrate Amazon Seller accounts) which lowers my fulfillment costs (and that alone justifies the monthly fee). I can structure any type of product, discount, fulfillment and limit the geographical reach. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use the back end of Nexternal. Their team is always ready to assist, quick responses when help is needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are issues with the fields our customers are entering information in. Sometimes a customer thinks they put in a certain address but a different one shows up instead and so we send it to the wrong address. Sometimes the system doesn't collect their date of birth (which is important for alcohol purchases) or phone number- which I thought were required fields. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to figure out how to use an abandoned cart feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the full capability of the system. Easy to implement changes alone or get help from support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Amazon integration doesn't always synchronize correctly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Taking and fulfilling orders online. Our inventory is easy to manage and all advertising/tracking integration are easy to put in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

The ease of use is good - easy to add new products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be good if the system had a ticketing system for events allowing us to check in tickets by bar codes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good product, there is a learning curve but once you get it, it is easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Nexternal to run our webstore for our brewery. We sell all sorts of products online, and have to change them regularly. It works well for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AW
What do you like best?

Our customer service rep is highly attentive and knowledgeable! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The system seems very slow when I'm doing updates, and customers frequently complain that our storefront is slow and somewhat confusing to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our Wine Club growth has been exceptional - 500 members in our first 2 years (for a tiny family-run farm winery). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UW
What do you like best?

Simple layout and easy to use! Helps to have the many ways to search for customers or orders. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downsides are the rare moments when it goes down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Consumer database with helpful follow up dates, activity notes to provide a more personal customer service to our customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

It has a myriad of capabilities and is relatively user friendly to manage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My previous/earliest customer service representative was outstanding. However, when he left the resulting customer service experience was not nearly as rapid or helpful.

There are some features that I am not able to incorporate that I would like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to ask questions specific to your company's needs to make sure it fulfills all requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to track inventory quite reliably. The order processing feature works fairly seamlessly. Shipping/tracking works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

it's very easy to use and I like the responses we get from customers how easy it is for them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any dislikes about it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

very friendly user to the employee as so the customer Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

the benefit of it is if any thing happens here at work (electrical/power outage/etc)

it remains the same and nothing is lost Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like it's ease of use. It is also easy to understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it can take more steps than necessary to do some things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It would very easy to use and understand. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All our our customer problems are being solved this way. It makes processing orders faster. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AW
What do you like best?

Easy to use, new employees are up and going fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some coupon functions do not work well at times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s a great work platform Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fast batch order processing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Learning Specialist
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

Simplicity of adding new products, creating volume pricing, and creating invoices/packing slips. Also, we've worked with the same customer rep for more than a decade. He's always a quick phone call away--and immensely helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Help Desk feature, while useful, requires a good knowledge of the system to ask questions correctly. It is quite thorough, but the wrong search term can result in many dozens of results to sift through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is some complexity to setup. The storefront needs to be integrated with a credit card processor and a payment gateway. If you're using a website, you will need a hosting service. Chris with Nexternal helped us connect all the dots, but this is not an overnight process. It took about a month for us to get everything set up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We wanted a storefront that could be easily integrated with our web site. We had been using a home grown solution that was no longer meeting our needs. Nexternal automated a lot of the work that was cumbersome in the past, such as invoices, packing slips, sales tax, and volume discounts. Having Google Analytics attached has allowed us to track how our advertising mix is working. The biggest benefit we've seen is near-perfect uptime for over a decade. We simply don't need to worry about whether our store is working. It just does. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AS
What do you like best?

Nexternal has a great layout, easy to use, with all the functionality we need. Lots of built-in integrations for shipping services, Google, email marketing, etc. They are constantly updating and improving their system, at no additional cost to account holders. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some functions/improvements I'd like to see that have not been made yet, i.e. abandoned cart emails without having to pay a 3rd party company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nexternal has a lot of automated functions - order confirmation/shipped emails, customer in-stock notifications - that save us steps. Also easy to update product inventory, manage orders that have backordered items, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Nexternal thinks of everything. There are so many settings to choose from to make sure they cover all your store's unique process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the front-end had more customizable options for the cart and the mobile store. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Integrating with warehouse management tools and account tools to prevent duplicate entry. Saves time for employees. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Sales and Marketing
Wine and Spirits
What do you like best?

The order processing function along with the ability to track customers orders and ship them with ease, has been life changing. In addition, the ability to link all of our new customers into other software programs has helped to keep us in touch on a more regular basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Because of the excellent customer service that was provided to us along with the technical support, there has not been any part of the program that we have not found useful. It is a complex system, but with enough help and support, it does not seem too challenging. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Nexternal has a wonderful Ecommerce platform that was seamlessly integrated with our website. It has enhanced our experience as a business making sales and marketing much easier and more advanced. We believe that our customers greatly appreciate the ease of shopping and keeping their own personal accounts secure for repeat purchases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been able to grow our wine club as well as our online sales. We have been able to fulfill order faster and more efficiently and eventually will be able to use the system to for targeted marking efforts. They system offers more than we currently need but will allow us to grow. We will eventually utilize many more features of the Nexternal Ecommerce Platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Cookie Officer/President
Retail
What do you like best?

I like Nexternal because they continue to grow in knowledge and new ideas.

I also love the customer service. Chris Gilmore always calls me right back.

I have grown because I selected a platform that helped me grow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could put my corporate orders through Nexternal, but is clunky do so, so we have to use another platform. It should be easier to update the nexternal site with a new look, I would like to have an all in one site vs. having to create a wordpress and then link to nexternal. It shows that I bounce people, which takes SEO down. I wish we could do more with shipping, for example turn on shipping for thursday for only zone 1 and 2 or only show USPS for residential addresses in zone 1 and 2. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Keep providing ideas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I solved the business problem with new loyalty program. I also like the new shipping 3rd party, unfortunately I can only put one 3rd party in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales & Marketing Director, Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

We've had a shocking increase in sales since starting Nexternal! The customer experience while shopping is much easier and more intuitive than our previous platform and it has reduced our shopping cart abandonment rate tenfold. Nexternal offers support for complex pricing models which our business requires including multiple wine club tiers, mix-and-match volume discounts, etc. giving us lots of control! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The amount of customization and functionality on the back end is great but can be daunting. Fortunately, Nexternal's customer support is hugely helpful. I do wish the systems UI had a more modern (even material) design so it was easier to navigate.. as it is it's a bit hard on the eyes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Nexternal to anyone looking for a eCommerce solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our goal with Nexternal was to replace our previous eCom platform that was not performing well. We wanted to reduce shopping cart abandonment and increase automation across order management processes. Our customer engagement has increased, shopping cart abandonment rates have decreased and we have been able to integrate our point-of-sale, compliance software and Amazon which has streamlined processes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal
Investment Management
What do you like best?

We sell business to business. It's a requirement that we are able to handle pricing on "per product, per customer" basis. I like that we can do far more than just give a sight-wide discount to a customers. We are able to customize the pricing according to our customers buying habits.

We also offer small products that can ship via UPS/Fedex all the way through pallet sized products requiring custom freight options. The unlimited "shipping tables" allow us to create shipping options to cover the whole spectrum, but only show the relevant options in the cart.

Third, we have been a customer for 3-4 years and I can call the same person that help us navigate getting set up. I cannot emphasize the value in being able to speak to a human being when I am planning modifications or have questions that go beyond the basics.

These features are what secured our relationship with Nexternal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Improvements could be made with the user interface on the Order Management/Configuration side of the software. While the extensive customization is great, navigating through the options can be tough and inefficient. Integrations are limited and costly. Salesforce should be a "no brainer" integration, as well as Quickbooks (desktop) but these are very costly for a small business like mine to purchase. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering a web shop, do not let the fact that Nexternal was originally focused on wineries and craft brewers as their target market. The feature set they have implemented is vast and makes the tool applicable to any business. You must at least get a demonstration and have a discussion with your representative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed an engaging webshop, that addresses the unique buying habits of our customers and the diverse shipping requirements. Before Nexternal we were never able to complete a purchase for a customer until we calculated and charged shipping via a separate invoice, or charge on the card. Now we can capture the sale completely at the point when the purchase is made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sales
Retail
What do you like best?

The ability to allow a customer to send multiple gift packages to multiple addresses all with different notes and check out just one time has really saved our customers time and simplified the checkout process. We also really like the onscreen shopping cart so customers don't have to click back and fourth when shopping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

To view customers abandoned shopping carts is a bit of a process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are lots of options with this shopping cart and it can seem a bit overwhelming when you first look at that. If you can just focus on the options you need it is very easy to work with. All the options that this cart has will allow you to do just about anything you can think of. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The mobile shopping cart looks great and is very easy for customers to navigate through, this is very important with how many people are viewing our website on their phones now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
Wine and Spirits
What do you like best?

The customer service has been outstanding since day 0. The feature set is huge and we utilize some of the more "fringe" offerings, like multiple skins for our store and the XML tools for integrating with a third party wine club application. With everything we have thrown at it, the system has always been able to accommodate our needs, and customer service has been there to help us do it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve to the order management system, and it's not always obvious how to implement something. But the customer service makes up for this every time by listening to the problem and helping us find a solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have had goals to grow our DTC sales and improve our customer experience since implementing our Nexternal store. We have had wins in both departments as we more than doubled our ecommerce sales in the first year and continue to get positive feedback from our customers regarding their shopping and account management experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Marketing Specialist
Internet
What do you like best?

All of the different options for any e-commerce need B2B and B2C. And the promotion capabilities always provide what we need. Setting up Amazon selling and product feed were easy and intuitive, plus they put on a free webinar walking through the setup. We are also running shopping ads and were able to easily create an FTP product feed that updates ads based on inventory, pricing, and new products. Finally, the customer support is some of the most helpful we have worked with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is a very big platform with a lot of different turning cogs to understand. But luckily their support team is incredibly helpful when things are more complicated. The affiliate program is pretty basic and could use more functionality and features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely take advantage of Amazon integration if applicable, Nexternal is a great system for seller through Amazon. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability to setup both a retail store and a wholesale store in the same platform without needing numerous different plugins and extensions. And when we wanted to start selling through Amazon it was a quick and easy setup in Nexternal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creative Director
Photography
What do you like best?

Over the years we've worked with Nexternal for our winery they've added features and responded to our needs. When I ask "Can you guys do this?" they typically respond "Yes! We just added that. Here's exactly how it works, we'll walk you through it." In our fast moving online marketplace, it is essential to work with a company doesn't just sell their product, but continues to improve it and has the developers to make it function. Our online shop just gets better and better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We make changes to our website often, so I do wish that changes to our menu automatically changed on our Nexternal skin of our website. However, when they do change over a skin it's affordable and prompt. And I've learned not to read the info boxes when changing settings - I find the language too dense and confusing most of the time. If I have a question, I've always had much better luck finding the answers by searching the help desk. If that didn't work, emailing my account manager has always gotten me the answers I needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Nexternal has been a pleasure to work with. Their customer service has continued to be excellent - use it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nexternal is the only ecommerce program we've worked with. Now that we sell online, we've been able to free up our phone lines to talk to the customers who need us, while our customers who are comfortable ordering online can do so. It's also allowing us to spend more time with customers face to face in our tasting room without being interrupted by additional phone calls. We've also found that 60% of our online sales are new customers so it's an expanding market. Having an online shop has also inspired us to do more online marketing, since we can now send links to our products online. Our sales have gone up and while it's certainly a combination of factors that created that increase, Nexternal has certainly been helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Nexternal?

Nexternal Categories on G2