Intervals Reviews & Product Details

Intervals Overview

What is Intervals?

Take control of your projects and find out where your time is going with Intervals. At Intervals core is customizable time tracking and task management so that as you execute work you learn where all of your time is going. Includes powerful canned reports to analyze your efforts. Fully featured and ideal for consultants, designers, developers, creative agencies, IT services, and small teams. Includes project management, project templates, budgets, timesheets, email integration, Gantt charts, document management, invoicing, a mobile app, and more. All plans include all standard features. Flexible usage based pricing based on how much work you manage, not how big your team is. Upgrade for more active projects and document storage, not features. All plans includes unlimited users (except Lite). Intervals has been used globally since 2006. Discover a better way to track time and get work done.

Intervals Details

Intervals is online project management software that marries time tracking & task management in a collaborative space with powerful reporting. Ideal for small businesses including designers, web developers, consultants, creative agencies, IT services firms, and communications companies that bill on an hourly or per project basis.

Intervals is built by a small business for the needs of small businesses. Intervals includes the ideal features for a small business to manage their work. The needs of small businesses are unique.

Intervals hits the sweet spot with features and functionality. No enterprise complexity, expensive pricing, and long-term contracts. Also, not a singular service that only does one thing so you have to use multiple systems.

All plans include unlimited users. There is no penalty for adding team members. The pricing tiers are based on a combination of active projects and document storage needs. No additional or hidden fees. The simple monthly fee is all you pay. Plans start at $59 per month.

Pelago Corporation

Intervals Reviews

Showing 134 Intervals reviews
Already have Intervals?
President/CEO
Response from John Reeve of Intervals

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it. Regarding the UI we agree it's dated. We've been making minor updates to the interface since we launched 11 years ago, but times have changed. Our next major release will unveil an entirely new and modernized interface. We're hoping to beta launch our new look soon. If you would like to be part of the beta tester group please email support@myintervals.com to be added to the list.

Meanwhile, check out our blog at www.myintervals.com/blog for a sneak preview.

Once we get the new look finalized, our plan is to address other areas like the document uploads, mobile apps, and third-party integrations. Thanks again for your input.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

The real timers that let the employees start and stop the timers and log the hours to the specific tasks. This is really cool for those who do multiple tasks. Price is worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Role level permissions. We do not want the managers to see the cost but manage the tasks. It would be nice to see (for an admin/ manager) who is working on what so that we don't overload the tasks to an employee who has lot to do instead we assign to those who are leisure. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great UI! Easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Task tracking Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Intervals
Researcher
What do you like best?

The interface is friendly and easy to navigate, navigation is intuitive and its learning curve is minimal. It is an agile and easy-to-use tool, it provides a set of features that facilitate the management of tasks at the group level. It has been very useful for managing large projects.

Intervals allows me to attach files, interact with team members and exchange feedback on reports and tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It works effectively for troubleshooting workflow and communication with the team. So far, I have no complaints. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Intervals is helpful for complex projects. I would recommend it to companies of any size, it also works quite well for marketing and sales teams. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows me to manage my tasks effectively. It helps me to better use my time and to keep track of projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Communications Specialist
What do you like best?

It is a tool that helps us improve project management. It is organized, easy to use and intuitively designed. It allows us to manage time efficiently and focus on important tasks.

It allows optimal communication with the team, time tracking and task management in simple and easy to configure modules. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It was useful to promote teamwork, so no complaints so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a suitable application to work on multiple projects. It integrates easily to any kind of productive environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Optimal task tracking. It allows us to handle difficult projects in a simple and easy to understand sequence for our entire team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Consultant
What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of the platform, the intuitive set of tools to manage projects and the ease of communicating without obstacles.

It allows us to prioritize tasks and also schedule them. Intervals provide us with a simple system to boost collaboration and expedite projects development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have no complaints because it has great performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great to manage complex projects. I could recommend it to improve collaboration and communication in teams. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Intervals boosts the management of our projects, improve communications and teamwork. The task tracking feature helps us improve our productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

The software is flexible, I was learn to handle it quickly with the knowledge base of Intervals. The UI is sleek and lightweight. Great for detailed tracking my tasks, it helps me communicate and work better in my department. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Except for some details - sometimes it slows down - I have no complaints. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Suitable to improve team communication and prioritize tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is very convenient because I manage my time effectively. I do not waste time, management tools help me my tasks well timed allowing me to move quickly on projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It does what it should. No more, no less. It is good enough if you need something quick. Good prioritization tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The design is not intuitive and it can get quite confusing, which lead to inefficient performance from account executives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manage client projects and comunicate changes done to said projects with other departments involved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Customer Service Specialist
Telecommunications
What do you like best?

Intervals allow me to organize and manage all my tasks and projects by module and milestone. I can easily analyze upcoming tasks, timelines and total scope of work. Also, this is perfect team collaboration tool because it is extremely useful for communication between other team members, we can comment on tasks, assign tasks and get notification about important things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

we don’t have to use emails to share and assign tasks. Intervals helps us to track tasks and to ensure that no project can be lost along the way. Also, we managed to set budgets for every product and time tracking so we can stay on track of the whole process.! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

i highly recommend,you should try it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we don’t have to use emails to share and assign tasks. Intervals helps us to track tasks and to ensure that no project can be lost along the way. Also, we managed to set budgets for every product and time tracking so we can stay on track of the whole process..! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Interface is intuitive and easy to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s not aesthetically pleasing. It’s bland. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project management, task management, team schedules, record keeping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to capture tasks in a reliable and intuitive system so none of my team's work can fall through the cracks. Intervals makes it easy to finish large projects by breaking down action items into tasks that can easily be assigned back and forth to team mates. I love the document attachment feature, the check boxes, and the ability to run dozens of reports. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cap on 10 projects for the subscription level we purchased (49/mo) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

By simply using Intervals, the tool enable and teach you and your team:

-how to tackle large projects

-how to prioritize

-how to communicate within a team

-how to follow through on a task

-how to record time for valuable metrics Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Intervals in our finance office. We are solving payroll, finance, accounting, and administrative problems. The benefit of Intervals is that you can quickly input a task that needs to be completed later, and forget about it in the present. For a finance department in a growing company, we don't feel like the volume of requests slows down our productivity. We can stay focused on high priority work, and easily shift around tasks of different priorities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Michael Payne of Intervals

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for the positive feedback. We appreciate it.

Just a quick FYI regarding the $49 per month plan, the plan includes 25 active projects as opposed to 10 (https://www.myintervals.com/pricing.php).

AC
What do you like best?

API access. The interface isn't dumbed down to the point of idiocy. The object model does what we need. Projects -> tasks-> time entries.

Using the API I was able to integrate my personal time tracker with intervals Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The access models don't work with our workflow. I have had to make a lot of users admins so they could get the access they need. The executive view reports are lacking. I am going to have to use www:mechanize to send them the reports they need Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

API access means you might be able to fix things you don't like

NOT basecamp Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We track our development time in intervals and provide reports to our customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
Financial Services
What do you like best?

This program is easy to use and the learning curve is relatively mild. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As with many others, the inability to easily create recurring tasks is a nuisance. You have to create a project template and copy it afresh every month. Some enterprises that like to track time but do recurring work on a retainer need this kind of feature. Also tasks are costed according to a cost per task. Whereas this is ok for small projects, it lacks sophistication. Some professionals (like us) cost work on the basis of the person carrying out the task. This is because a task often requires a "kit" of different inputs. These include the person doing the basic work, their supervisor and the quality reviewer. These people cost differently and jobs could vary in cost depending on the level of input which then enables us to identify which resource was used more. If the quality reviewer/ manager spent more time, it would make it easier for us to identify this fact and try to find solutions for the next time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a low cost solution if you need to track time. However it is not able to provide mandatory accounting for time i.e. to compel users to account for a whole work day. It is project based rather than time based. However it can do the job with a few administrative workarounds. A pain to use if you have recurring tasks. You can't attach costs to individuals - only to tasks. This is only ok for some work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a checklist to ensure that all the tasks required to deliver a complex deliverable - monthly accounts - have been done and that there was approval of such tasks. It's important to be able to show clients that the work was done. It's early days still but I feel that it has helped to systematise adherence to required procedure and provide confidence in our processes. Plus It helps us track how much time it is taking and negotiate fee adjustments where necessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Intervals gave us the ability to track our time spent on tasks easily Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The overall functionality was pretty basic and didn't give much room to implement efficiencies for our projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to track time spent on tasks and projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Analista/Programador
What do you like best?

Easy of use, and to have controlled the times of the tasks, the estimated and the realized.Sending reminders of tasks due or not yet due. Time reports dedicated to different projects. You have a home screen with the to-do of the week, which is very useful and reminder. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You can not specify an expense type, for example diets, kilometers,....

To look at resource workload versus estimated task time. Can not put a work schedule, with holidays. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a powerful tool for project management and easy to use Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project management and time entry. And you can take the data in an easy way from the api to be able to manage them outside Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Quality Engineer
What do you like best?

As only a user I love and mostly use time submission, I love the option where you can copy time from previous entries, and I love where is my time going functionality which crunches all the time entries for desired time span, split by projects . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can get confusing, i saw how assigning to projects looks and a lot of times I have no idea where are simplest functions, like add remove people from the project or the task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely ok for users, not sure for admins, but my company uses it for years now so I guess it works for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I personaly do not, but it's easier to track time like this then using some plain spreadsheet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Database administrator
What do you like best?

Their organization in clients, projects and tasks allow us to work in a coordinated manner with our customers, also the billing feature allow us carry an effective control on costs. Additionaly the timers is an excelent way to keep track of time invested in working in our customers support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The notifications to my e-mail account is not really comprehensive to take a quick review of the tasks, I would need to easily click from the e-mail notification to the respective task in order to take action. Also I would like a mobile app to keep track of my on premise supports. k Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Excelent tool to manage projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are software development company where control of costs and milestones of our projects is the main purpose of the use of intervals software in our business. Keep control of time invested in support in order to deliver a correct statement to our customers is key to generate confidence with our clients Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Acoustic Consultant
Environmental Services
What do you like best?

Task scheduling and resource allocation in terms of the estimated hours. Being able to follow tasks or jobs is also very useful and the general level of communication that it generates is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The biggest let down is that you can't mark hours as billed which makes the invoicing function pretty redundant to our company. The way we our company (and a lot of others) work is that we invoice at significant project milestones rather than every month so it is not easy to track what hours have or have not been invoiced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking to keep track of your workload, continuously comparing quoted hours with actual hours and to improve client satisfaction through better understanding and allocation of resources then you need intervals! The database works seamlessly and provides you with many tools to ensure everyone is kept well informed about the status of company projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Workload management is actually possible when everyone puts jobs into the intervals system, this means that we can actually get a handle on how many hours of work each employee has to do and give clients lead times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from John Reeve of Intervals

Seth,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We appreciate the feedback.

We've been tossing around the idea of marking hours as billed. So, I've added your ideas to our notes on this potential feature.

Meanwhile, we are glad to hear that Intervals has been helping with scheduling and allocating your workload.

Founder & Partner
Architecture & Planning
What do you like best?

Intervals makes task management, scheduling and basic project management easy for smaller companies that need to charge for their work per hour, like graphic designers, architects and other professionals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Once the first invoice is generated on each project, only then the system starts adding VAT. So when you are using project budgets, you need to revise the budget up as soon as one invoice has been generated. This makes budgeting unnecessarily complicated where the system could simply always show the budget excl VAT instead of us having to keep tabs on when the budget is not applicable anymore. Also this is dangerous cause if one of our team forgets to up the budget as soon as an invoice is generated by admin, the project profile gives an inaccurate account of where actual cost vs budget is at, seeing that the budget is still excl VAT but meantime the system added VAT to the project costs, only, and not also to the budget amount. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can get more projects out in faster turnaround times while being more organised and being able to accurately time and invocie for work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Partner
What do you like best?

Intervals allows us to keep track of billable time without too much thought. By simply starting a timer for a task or a general timer, we can make sure we're tracking our billable hours completely. I also love that we are able to receive emails directly into our intervals workflow and assign them as tasks to the appropriate project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes one email is referencing more than one specific project - I wish it was possible to "duplicate" a task into another project (coming from the original email) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give Intervals a try. It's an affordable way to keep track of your billable time, and to manage projects. When all you have to sell is your time, it's imperative to track it, and track it well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Prior to using Intervals, we kept handwritten timesheets (we've been using Intervals for MANY years now). Those handwritten timesheets would often end up being a "best guess" - especially on a busy day when many different projects were touched, and many different tasks completed. Intervals has taken that away, and also made it easier for everyone in the office to see what needs to be done and when. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
Internet
What do you like best?

In a word, simplicity. I love that we can use this project management tool for $100,000 projects as well as $1,000 projects ... We can quickly and easily get a new client set up and initiate managing their project in less than 5 minutes - most other PM tools take hours to set up a project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only frustration we have is that sometimes when I log in to pull a quick report, the report tool seems to hang for minutes and I end up having to close the browser, re-login and then the report pulls instantly - I don't know why this happens but it happens to my team members often as well... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a small to average sized web shop (like we are), you need a project management tool that is easy to use, effective and quick to maintain. New client projects that are small, say less than $2,000 should not take more than 5 minutes to setup - and that's what Intervals affords us. This saves us time and aggravation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This product solves the problem of defensibly of our invoicing structure. Before Intervals, we had time tracking apps that sort of did the trick, but any time a client contested or wanted more info on why they were charged this or that, we now have fast, easy reporting that instantly gives us what we need to defend why we did what we did. I love the timers as well - and how you can start one and put a keyword or two in for what you are doing for a client, then at the end of the day apply the time to a client project or task and fully explain all that you did for them that day (because we all know that if we don't write it down, we will forget, and therefore, run the risk of now being paid)... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Associate
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to track exactly when something was started, when it was last touched and where it is. The communication is easy and the tasks can be easily customized to our company's needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's cumbersome. Each email and each update to a task creates more things coming into my inbox. While it's understandable that it needs to happen, it's still sometimes overwhelming, especially as someone who is particularly involved in a lot of different projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication issues mostly and tracking for projects. It's easy to see who is in charge and who we should ask to move a project forward. We don't waste time chasing anyone down trying to find the root of a problem. The major benefits we weren't expecting, is that it's extremely easy to look up past projects and know exactly what we had done before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from John Reeve of Intervals

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We understand that the influx of emails can be overwhelming. We are currently overhauling the interface and plan on addressing the formatting of emails along the way to make them less cumbersome.

Meanwhile, I wanted to point out a lesser known feature called the project feed. This page can be found inside the project profile. It provides a snapshot of project activity during a given date range. It can also be subscribed to via email, so you can receive a daily digest of updates for each project instead of several individual emails.

Managing Director
Internet
What do you like best?

The main reason we selected Intervals is its integrated time tracking features. Not only does it allow you to keep track of tasks and projects, but also see how much time is devoted on each one.

This is great if, like us, you are wondering about the real cost of each feature implemented, bug fixed etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

This is minor, but it's very difficult to find and print your subscription invoice. They are buried in the "Plan info" section, which is not very intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As mentioned above, we use Intervals to keep track of tasks for our development work. This includes everything from writing down specs, to developing, testing and uploading to the live environment as well as bug fixing after something has gone live.

Intervals allows us to do all this, while keeping track of the time devoted to each task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Strategic Digital Communications, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Simplicity of use: we are an internal web site development/communications office. We use intervals to track larger and small projects. Our staff are not heavily-experienced developers: they are writers, photographers and admin staff. They are all able to grasp and work in Intervals very quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish tasks had dependencies. It is sometimes challenging lining up tasks and managing dependencies via notes in the task. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tracking all our work: everything we do, whether it's related to a project or not, goes into Intervals. It is our institutional memory: we've created special 'projects' for tracking non-project related communications.

We would not be able to do the volume of work we do without Intervals: we just have too many things going on and too many details to track. Intervals has been amazing in that respect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the program has many organizational features – Color coded level of importance, different drop-down variations for the status of jobs, and the ability to add additional colleagues to jobs depending on your own unique office processes. I like being able to see my tasks and apply time on the same page – Being able to start and stop a timer throughout the day allows for a more accurate depiction of my daily routine than a rough guess written in a notebook. Seeing added tasks across a weekly or monthly calendar gives a better visual to how long a project should take/is taking. Overall, there's so many simple features that make it easier to stay organized and up-to-date which makes for a stolid structure in a hectic world of design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a SO many features that it can be overwhelming and can become over-organized. Many features are ignored by my team just to avoid confusion. Intervals also has a tendency to glitch on my computer when adding time by hand, the pop-up window will lose it's background, but I am sure that isn't a consistent problem across all users. I wish there was a way to disable/hide certain tabs and features from view if they're not being used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My team uses Intervals to track various jobs at different stages – We predominately use Intervals for the "Tasks" feature. During our huddles we are able to see clearly what jobs are "hot" and who has what on their plate with ease. We are able to track our time easily and efficiently with tasks and task timers. We also total out invoices with better accuracy using Intervals. With the program we are able to see just how many hours a job took, what expenses were made real time to better quote a client in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Client Services Director
What do you like best?

The ability to organize tasks within projects but also by module and milestone. I makes it very easy to analyze upcoming tasks, timelines and total scope of work. This also makes it an excellent team communication tool, with task commenting, assignments and other notifications – Interval's functionality really helps our team be collaborative vs. working in silos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes tasks, projects or report dashboards can take awhile to load if the server is getting a lot of activity. This is not very frequent however.

p.s. I was not able to upload my logged-in image for this survey, kept getting a "Upload failed, please try again." message. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worth checking out! Best solution we've found for our project management Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are a marketing company and have many different types of projects and tasks that often have to pass through several hands. Email would not be a good solution to handle task transfers as our clients also email us, as well as our colleagues, and it would be very easy to lose track. The Intervals system helps us keep track of tasks and helps ensure we never lose a project in the fray.

Additionally, we have set retainer budgets for each project and the time tracking through Intervals helps us stay on track for providing an adequate level of service without over-servicing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.