Fedora Reviews & Product Details

What is Fedora?

Fedora is a Linux-based operating system, a collection of software that makes your computer run.

Fedora Profile Details

Fedora Profile Details

Red Hat
Description
At Red Hat, they connect an innovative community of customers, partners, and contributors to deliver an open source stack of trusted, high-performing technologies that solve business problems.
1993

1-50 of 70 total Fedora reviews

Fedora Reviews

1-50 of 70 total Fedora reviews
Software Developer

"Fedora, a great experience for free"

What do you like best?

Fedora is a great alternative to the main operating system to choose between different Linux systems due to its collaboration with the RedHat team, personally Fedora seems to be one of the safest distros currently. Although what I like most about Fedora is that its resource consumption is not very high compared to other Linux distros that also use GNOME Shell.

I also like the Fedora configuration dashboard a lot since it has improved a lot in this aspect and currently has a user friendly interface. The degree of customization of Fedora in general is very high so we can change everything that modifies the visual appearance of the system as wallpapers, icons, theme of the windows and even the theme of the shell.

What do you dislike?

One of the things I like least about Fedora is that it does not incorporate a default theme for GNOME Shell, on the contrary it brings the "adawaita" theme that comes by default in the desktop environment, personally I do not like this theme anymore Many people are not why most of the distro that you use GNOME usually modify the theme by one esthetically more beautiful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using this operating system because it is completely free and also the consumption of resources is very low, also the minimum space requirements are very low, around 10 GB if we install additional drivers. On the other hand, if you decide to use Fedora, I recommend that you change the default theme to a better one like "Adapta-GTK"

Since we started using Fedora in our place of work we have saved a lot of money in costs, both in licenses and equipment maintenance because we had to use several applications that were also paid. Currently with Fedora we use only Open Source and free applications so we have managed to reduce costs greatly and we can do the same job.

Sales Manager

"Fedora, a great operating system for work"

What do you like best?

In my experience working with Fedora the best thing has been its stability, while in Windows I suffer constantly problems with software that is sometimes incompatible and gives failures even reboots, in Fedora I have seen the opposite.

What I like the most about Fedora is how to install the applications, which do not need to be searched online, since they are installed from a repository using the command console or using the Marketplace graphically, where we can find thousands of software applications that have been tested by the community and by the Fedora team to ensure that the software is free of malicious code and also works properly. I also liked that Fedora is very customizable and through changes in the theme, fonts and icons we are able to obtain an operating system totally different from the one presented to us by default.

What do you dislike?

The only negative aspect that I have found in Fedora is the initial learning curve that is required to make a professional use of the operating system, personally I think it takes time to be able to use this operating system professionally.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is an operating system that I recommend mainly if you are looking for a secure environment and that is updated on a regular basis so that we have access to the latest versions of the software without risking the security of our computer and the network in which it is located.

In our company we use fedora mainly because we use software that only works under Linux efficiently, in Windows it is very unstable so we decided to use Fedora. In my experience with Fedora I have been able to verify its used not only for this software but in many other areas such as security and privacy, very important aspects in a work environment.

Software Engineer
Internet

"Excellent operating system based on Linux"

What do you like best?

The best of Fedora is that it is a very stable Linux distro and used by many well-known personalities of the Linux world, which gives it a special status in terms of receiving updates and support from application developers, Fedora is really a distro belonging to the Redhat company that uses this system to perform tests that it then implements in its main operating system.

What I personally like most about Fedora is that it is a distribution similar to Archlinux, other of my favorite distro so it supports in some way rolling-release style updates this means that it is possible to update the operating system completely without the need of format the computer.

In addition, the programmers that maintain this Linux distro take into account the security of the users, so all the packages available in the application go through rigorous testing before being available to users.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I do not like about Fedora (and of many distros in general) is that they do not pay too much attention to the system interface, really the Fedora theme by default (Adawaita) is not very nice and it is also somewhat outdated, they should update with some better theme instead of letting users change the theme constantly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend that you use the latest version of Fedora but without getting to use the Beta versions because to work can be somewhat unstable, I currently use Fedora 29 in its stable version for work and operation is excellent, both in speed and consumption of resources. I also suggest you change the theme since the one that comes by default is not very elegant.

I am using Fedora at work as the main operating system at work due to its great security since in my position I handle sensitive information and security is very important for us, so our benefits are mainly in this aspect.

Marketing Researcher

"Great Red Hat Alternative"

What do you like best?

This is a great Linux Distribution that is almost identical to Red Hat. An easy to use and reliable distribution that can be used in a small enterprise environment. Great for practice, and great for managing servers on your network.

What do you dislike?

It uses up a lot of disk space and often times has too many features. If you are using a system with low resources it may cause crashes and high RAM usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a free and open source linux distribution Fedora is the way to go. Although it uses up a lot of disk space and can often times crash if you do not meet the system requirements, it is a great Linux distro.

I am using business is a small educational environment in order to teach students how to use the Linux distribution. This is being used in a lab environment.

Freelance Writer

" Fedora 29 Workstation is working efficiently on my desktop"

What do you like best?

The best part was the installation process of Fedora 29 as it was easy and smooth. Since Fedora 29 is using GNOME Shell 3.30 and is one of the best features of this release. The other brilliant aspect of this Linux software is its updates as this process also took place without any errors on my six-year-old desktop pc.

Over the last three months, I have been using Fedora 29, and I haven't experienced any crashes so far. Moreover, this efficient and stable operating system has a lot of free software in its software repository.

What do you dislike?

The most important aspect that needs improvement in this software is its booting speed, and I didn't like this slow booting process. Even for the browser like Google Chrome, the software is taking a long time. Apart from this problem I didn't find anything that embarrassed me in using this software.

I am using this Linux distro for developing websites, writing documents and graphics designing.

"Fedora instalar y a trabajar"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de Fedora es que es una distribución linux que está lista para trabajar “out of the box”, esto es algo muy útil para la gente que necesita un terminal sencillo, práctico y fiable. Fedora viene con las herramientas necesarias para trabajar en el día a día.

Otro de los puntos fuertes de Fedora es la posibilidad de elegir entre una gran variedad de entornos de escritorio, esto me gusta porque te permite elegir, no como en otras distribuciones que soportan una sola imagen de sistema con un solo entorno de escritorio.

También es un punto decisivo el hecho de que el equipo de Fedora esté continuamente actualizando el sistema operativo y añada las últimas tecnologías, esto además es posible gracias a su gran comunidad.

What do you dislike?

Lo que no me gusta de Fedora es que el repositorio de paquetes disponibles no es el más extenso, cómo por ejemplo el repositorio AUR de Arch, esto es una pequeña desventaja, pero aún así Fedora dispone de la mayoría de programas importantes que necesito.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recomiendo usar Fedora a la gente que quiera cambiar y probar algo nuevo a Windows, además es gratis.

En el día a día de mi trabajo lo primero que hago cuando llego a mi puesto de trabajo es encender mi computadora con Fedora, y lo último que hago es apagarla. Por lo que está encendida todo el día, y en este aspecto Fedora cumple las expectativas de estabilidad y robustez.

I am working as programmer and support

"Fedora, free and stable operating system"

What do you like best?

Fedora is one of the best GNOME experiences on the market since it is a Linux operating system that makes use of this desktop in its most recent version and that before launching it for the common use of the users they make a lot of tests and correct bugs in the environment desktop. Currently version V. 30 of Fedora has GNOME Shell 3.32 which has advanced a lot in the normalization of the desktop after leaving behind Unity.

Fedora also has other interesting features and is that the team that develops the operating system comes largely from the company RedHat, a company widely committed to open source software, so it has a very positive impact on the development line of Fedora . It also makes use of the RPM package manager known to be one of the fastest in terms of managing the applications of our Linux operating system.

What do you dislike?

-One of the negative aspects that Fedora has in my opinion is in its updates are annual so if we look for an OS that is updated monthly with the latest news is not the most recommended.

-A problem that is shared with most Linux operating systems is that it does not support native DirectX, so the possibility of using tools that use this library is very low.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend using Fedora as the main operating system for your work since it is very safe thanks to the community that tests all the packages available in the repositories. Also as an alternative to Windows is very good option since many of the applications can be emulated through its virtualization tool (Wine 4.4).

At work we regularly use Fedora in its latest version (version 30) as it is very established and works very well with the software we use normally (GIMP, Visual Studio Code, Firefox among others). The advantages of using Fedora are security and economical since Fedora is free.

Agente
Telecommunications

"fedora one of the most robust"

What do you like best?

I like it Because there is enough information, Fedora has a huge user base, and with this I do not mean that it is the biggest of all or something, but that its users are always willing to help new ones, and you will always find some other enthusiastic user that write their tips in a blog to which you can directly ask any of your questions.

What do you dislike?

Many hardware devices are not designed for the base of your operating system. Therefore its installation can be tedious.

- Many windows applications can not be executed. Therefore any complex windows document (eg: docx, xlsx, pptx, xps, etc.) is difficult to work

For linux there is a very small number of installable games (which does not prevent that they can be played thanks to emulators or virtual machines.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Used by NASA, Be that as it may, the important point is that Fedora is a distribution widely used by different people around the world regardless of their work, lifestyle or knowledge.

I currently use fedora, as a regular basis of my operating system, I daily virtualize a machine in fedora for the administration of my vmware virtual platform.

Consultor TIC
(10,001+ employees)

"one of the most robust operating systems."

What do you like best?

the ability of this operative system to consume ram memory efficiently, it does it a lot better than windows, the applications run smoothly due to this great advance, it does not write the hard disk with hidden files, when I am connected in a network, it recognizes the different distributions that are connected in it.

What do you dislike?

many external devices are not configured for linux which makes it a bit tedious to install and use in linux-based systems, there are applications in windows that I can not use in this operating system either.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is very easy to use once you get used to tasks, you can perform them more efficiently and even mount and dismount external devices.

I use this operating system as my workstation, to run some scripts and cron, for different applications that I manage.

Social Media Manager

"A stable system with great possibilities!"

What do you like best?

I like many things about Fedora, among them, to have an operating system in which I will not be in danger of being affected by vitus. Another element is that thanks to the support of the community, it is the stability of a system with which I can take advantage of the full potential of my computer without fear. Also, the wide variety of open source programs that I can use and manage to cover what is usually done with a proprietary system such as Windows. And other strengths it has is its robust and effective security policy, with which I have no vulnerability, all this offering one of the most stylized aspects of free software, which you can combine with Gnome for a superior experience.

What do you dislike?

One of the things you can get through Fedora is freedom, which is why I find it hard to qualify negatively in any of its aspects, especially because they improve with each version and deal with those details that may compromise essential aspects of stability, that's why I am very satisfied and I do not identify anything wrong so far...

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Every time it is necessary to tell my experience, I will do it, people need to know that there are alternatives to Windows and IOs, with which you can get the same or better results. Apart, the savings is significant, with Fedora you must pay nothing to use it and you can accompany the operating system with all the programs you need for your daily work. My friends and colleagues will be very happy to try Fedora and see the options it offers.

For every user, the biggest headache is to use an operating system that instead of helping you will hurt you, with Fedora that does not happen, you have a totally free operating system that offers you save money on licenses and payment of third-party programs thanks to the support of a great community. One of the biggest benefits I have received to date, is not having worries about the operation of the system or whether it will be compatible with the programs that I usually work, it is incredible.

Consultor Livelink - Content Server - OpenText - xECM for SAP - VIM

"Great transiton from Windows to Linux environment"

What do you like best?

The Fedora system is a great final user desktop interface, a lot of years I was Windows user, about 15 or more years, and this year I took a option to switch my main operation system on the laptop, since started use Fedora system the mayors application, features and tools from Windows have a similar or equivalent on this Linux distribution, using GNome to manage my user interface and utilities to compress/descompress, officematic, pdf reader, Internet browser, now on my daily task I can use about 95 - 98% full Fedora system.

What do you dislike?

My experience is Fedora have a lot of update, commonly each week I recieved notification least twice times to update the system, and few update I was broke a core function like desktop calendar or battery status, 'another broke tool was VMWare Workstation/player, after update I cant recovery this features.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test and test this system, it's a great option to desktop user, currently a great user experience using this desktop, and it have a big ecosystem and a lot of suppot forum with ton of information to solve many issues and easies the life of the newies on this world.

Get a Linux skill on my daily operation and permite nearly to opensource technology, we have a internal ecosystem with system and using Fedora they can run without issue the servers applications and tools, and more transparent operation.

DevOps Engineer
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Bleeding Edge"

What do you like best?

Fedora is always one of the first OS' to get updated fixes/patches/etc. Fedora is bleeding edge and releases a new major version every six months.

What do you dislike?

While bleeding edge can be a pro, it is also a con. Attempting to support older releases of Fedora is a nightmare. Currently, I have infrastructure that was spun up only a year or two ago on an already out of date, not supported release of Fedora. It was due to this that I switch to CentOS (LTS supported for 5+ years).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need bleeding edge, choose Fedora. If you want stability and updates for a long period of time, choose CentOS or RHEL.

When we first started using Fedora, it was to get the latest and greatest drivers, patches, updates, etc. While this has been achieved, we're not sure if it was worth it in the long run.

Consultor TIC
Telecommunications

"safe and light operating system"

What do you like best?

I like it because it allows me to manage the RAM in a better way as some proprietary softwares do, such as windows, thanks to its configurations I do not fill the hard drive with hidden files, besides the hardware consumption of my computer is low that is to say, it consumes few resources in composition with other operating systems, thus allowing me to execute a greater number of programs. In addition to the benefits of security that this operating system provides, in addition to being an open source operating system allows me to make changes that suit my needs.

What do you dislike?

one of the things that I dislike is that it has little support for private hardware, that is, most of these hardware are not designed to operate with linux being this an impediment when configuring certain things, such as network cards , sound devices, video cards among others.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a stable and fast system and in addition to this, I strongly recommend using FEDORA one of the best in its form.

We use fedora, as an operating system in the workstations due to its fluidity and the adaptation of its configurations to the different tasks we perform, we adapt it by modifying the kernel and adapting its parameters.

Sr Staff Engineer
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Cutting edge Linux distro backed by RedHat!"

What do you like best?

Cutting edge, latest drivers, latest kernel, access to the Linux community and forums

What do you dislike?

Rsync repos delete older versions so difficult to adhere to a version; it would be good if Fedora kept older versions intact so that users could fall back to older versions

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Switch to Fedora if you want more than just a desktop OS like Ubuntu

It's the base OS and software platform for our development and test. The good thing about Fedora is that it's backed by RedHat which is the mothership as far as Enterprise Linux is concerned.

Scala/BigData Developer

"Bloat-less GNU/Linux with stability in mind."

What do you like best?

Coming from highly customizable Linux distributions, such as Gentoo and Archlinux, I needed to reach a sweet spot between stability, frequently updated packages versions and user-adjustable system. I found Fedora as a good candidate for that sweet spot and thus has it proven to be since release 23.

During the last 4 years I've been using Fedora at home and at work, never happened that a system upgrade stopped my system from working. I have a laptop which has been through 3 mayor distribution release upgrades without having to re-install the system, just keep pushing the distribution version up with "dnf system-upgrade"

What do you dislike?

Doesn't provide out-of-the box compatibility with Nvidia closed drivers whereas, for example, Ubuntu offers a GUI assistant which makes it easy to install and load closed kernel modules for GPUs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid of moving form other distributions, it doesn't disappoint. Once you install a Fedora release, you'll be able to keep updated with the latest packages and releases ... for years and years.

From my developer Desktop machine to my cluster of 6 Raspberries Pi 3, going through databases & web server machines.

UO

"Fedora For School Assignments "

What do you like best?

I like how the environment is stable for the most part. It's easy to navigate, I was easily able to set up through a virtual environment. My online course through BYU-I has us do all our lab assignments within the Fedora VM environment. Is great because the professor was able to preload everything and have it all set up beforehand.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have anything to comment on far as dislikes. There was on time that it crashed on me and I had to reload my Fedora environment. Luckily I saved my work outside the VM. But the whole crashing may have to do with the VM software, however, profession mentioned we should save our work after each lab so that tells me it crashes often.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'm personally impressed with Fedora and how it has allowed me to have a positive course experience. The structure of the course, created by leveraging Fedora is well done. I suggest Fedora push to break more into the educational industry. More and more courses are being taught via online, and more and more are computer science related. Fedora software can really facilitate this expansion.

The business problem we that is being solved by Fedora is how to implement SQL oracle lab work for students when they don't physically have access to the school network. You want each student to start off in the same environment but individually be able to modify it. Fedora solved this issue. We all pre-loaded a copy of the Fedora environment on to our personal computers and access it through a VM tool. All modification of files is saved within my personal environment, I have access to the terminal, SQL developer, Firefox, gEdit, all application loaded into the environment. I'm impressed at how the Fedora environment really allows me to complete my course labs and allows me to have real-world experience and build that skill.

"Community Supported Linux perfect for a developer's workstation"

What do you like best?

The first thing that I comes to mind is that the lost cost to entry that this distro has, like most linux flavors allows users can get up and running with only a bit of upfront time commitment. It has very recent packages, leaving less backporting than a CentOS variety. All major DE's and WM's are available.

What do you dislike?

If you're a KDE fan, this may not be your best choice. It doesn't seem as polished as other varieties such as Kubuntu. There are some packages and configurations that other distros have standard that needs post-install configuration in this one.

Creating multiple developer workstations that have a desktop environment and run multiple vagrant VMs. It's easy to install, easy to update and easy to upgrade. Regular long term support releases make it easy to plan upgrades.

Programador Jr.

"Made for Advance users"

What do you like best?

Performance and Safety. Fedora is a powerful tool but the best of all is the wide configuration that you can use in order to make it more secure. You can do special firewall configurations and it comes with special features for coding.

What do you dislike?

Not for domestic users. Fedora is great if you are heading to IT use, coding, etc. You will never stop learning with Fedora but Is not just for everybody. If you are a new user or a "domestic user" stay away from Fedora, is just too much to handle for newbies in Open Source.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great tool if your an advance user in Open Source OS.

The need of an advance OS in order to achieve a next level in open source use.

Director of Development

"Rock Solid Free OS"

What do you like best?

Fedora is a great and easy to use Linux OS for desktop and server needs. Contrary to what many other people say, SystemD makes for a great service manager and the default Gnome desktop is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Linux still lacks support for a lot of desktop applications like Adobe's suite of products, Microsoft Office and most games. Things are getting better though. LibreOffice makes an okay replacement for MS Office, but it's just not there yet.

I use Fedora server to host many internal and external applications for our company. Fedora is easy to get up an running and it is easy to create scripts and images to load a solid base setup for a server getting new systems up and running faster.

"User Friendly linux"

What do you like best?

- fedora boots up fast, it takes around 15 to 20 seconds to boot up

-Linux is already well-known for being strong on security and Fedora has Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux), which implements security policies including mandatory access controls

-Fedora is equipped with an array of graphical tools and features to help you have better control of the system. These tools include network shares, language settings, firewall, authentication, users, and web server.

-Bug fixes for Fedora are available, and this makes the system very stable.

-No bloatware, no viruses, no problems with official repositories in general.

- for developers fedora is best OS

What do you dislike?

-it consumes more battery

-it doesn't support games much, if you are gamer then this OS is not for you

- Fedora is actually a beta test for RedHat Enterprise Linux.

- Fedora is difficult to beginners

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if u want to try a Linux then go for fedora, it is easy to learn ,free of malware, highly secured, has less bugs and its supports most of the softwares

-i use fedora mainly for programming purpose and to run some of the software's such as octave, MAGIC(for vlsi project) etc

- after using other Ubuntu , mint and Fedora , i think fedora is better and it is highly stable

"Fedora review"

What do you like best?

Between the different Linux distribution, Fedora has a special place. For one, it's the preview for the technologies to come in the next Centos/RHEL which make it the perfect testing and learning ground for future system updates. It also deals partially with the frustration of not having the latest packages version on the more long term distribution, but in the same time is very stable and reliable for development and certain types of production deployment.

What do you dislike?

The major issue with Fedora is the speed of release cycles. Some can see it as a bless, but if you use fedora as your main workstation distribution you would like to have the same environment on the server. Unfortunately with the a release cycle of 6 months, and a deprecation one of two cycles, you will find yourself in the peculiar situation of either having a legacy system in a short time or under the obligation of migrating the server to the new version once or twice a year.

Of course being a cutting edge distribution, some packages will break often and that's ok for certain use case when you will rather have the error detected early.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is a very nice and relatively stable distribution for some one testing new features of RHEL/Centos or wanting to have the last version of certain packages. It's not as friendly to new linux user as debian and mint and you will have to use the command line quiet often.

Also keep in mind that fedora is not a long term distribution and that you will have to keep it up to date by migrating to new version. So don't use it as a server environment unless you are sure of your needs and capabilities.

I've started using Linux redhat as my main distribution a long ago and when came the separation between the server side and the Fedora core, I sticked with the server version. But with the change in the speed of releases of major opensource packages, having to manually compile and patch in your Centos/RHEL server can be time consuming and error prone.

With Fedora, you have all the confort of a rock solid (relatively speaking) redhat distribution with all the fresh and tested packages.

Software Developer

"Best Linux OS I've ever seen!"

What do you like best?

Simplicity and very clear interface and smoothly operated what we need to do. It's better for software development and I think mostly this version is using by software developers.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much I love it, It's bring me the freedom in digital world. It's need to improve cross platform user experience with other OS versions like windows, ios, then this is the best linux os for everyone.

Cross platform experience is the main problem, however their is so many options to fix these issues nowdays.

"Fedora- worthy Linux Distribution"

What do you like best?

Based on Red Hat but it is free. Like all linux distribution it is virus-free OS. Fedora can be used as server. It is open source hence good support. high stability and easy to apply bug fixes. Easy updates and always reversible updates of the kernel (really helpful in-case of problems in updates ).

What do you dislike?

The biggest setback is non-availability of up to date versions of the softwares in packages. Package manager many times has older versions. Created by the community. It may not support many music or video files due to the limited codec availability.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is easy to set-up, flexible. If you want Red hat Features for free, Fedora is the one. Need time to learn, if you love challenges Use Fedora.

I use Fedora generally at home. It makes me highly productive, have used for projects in academics.

Benefits:

Many Red hat features for free.

Rollback in-case of kernel update failure.

Good Desktop Environments

Researcher
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Fedora - better than ubuntu"

What do you like best?

I love gnome, and fedora provides a very developer friendly gnome-based operating system. It works exactly as expected, is ultra stable, is bleeding edge(meaning you get the latest updates from RHEL straight away) , boots and shuts down in very little time. I would definitely recommend fedora to anyone, including beginners

BEST 5 THINGS ABOUT FEDORA

1.BETTER POWER MANAGEMENT-Desktop Linux has never done a great job of laptop battery management. Fortunately, Linux doesn't drink up that much power so it usually ends up with decent battery life anyway. But, Fedora 15 redesigned power management utilities give it better battery life than other Linuxes.

2.Better End-User Software-Like most up-to-the-minute Linux distributions, Fedora uses LibreOffice in place of OpenOffice, as its office suite. LibreOffice, while an OpenOffice fork is better thought of as an improved version of OpenOffice. It looks the same, works the same, but it's also faster, has many minor bug fixes and has far better Microsoft Office file format compatibility. Last, but not least, since Oracle will no longer be putting any resources into OpenOffice, LibreOffice is the most significant open-source office suite yet that's still being actively developed.

3. Dynamic Firewall-Like its name suggest dynamic firewall enables you to change firewall settings without needing to restart the firewall. So, for example, you can set the firewall to change its rules, as needed for virtual machines or Virtual Private Networks (VPN)

4.Virtual Desktop Support-Slowly, but surely, Simple Protocol for Independent Computing Environments (SPICE)virtual desktops are coming to Red Hat. In Fedora 15, SPICE has been integrated into the virtualization manager, virt-manager.

5.RPM 4.9.0 Package Manager-RPM 4.9.0, Fedora and RHEL's software manager has been given a real tune-up. It's now easier than ever to install software on Fedora .For more on that see the RPM 4.9.0 release notes. The bottom line is that RPM does a much better job of handling any RPM package that you try to install on your system..

What do you dislike?

The Installer: Not New-User Friendly-The first encounter of any human with a Linux distro is its installer; it could be a deal-maker or a deal-breaker. I have been using Linux since 2005; I have used almost every major and minor distribution out there. I use Arch Linux, openSUSE and Kubuntu on my main systems. And despite being an Arch user I am not a huge fan of Fedora’s Anaconda installer. Even as a seasoned Linux user, I struggle with it. Mostly because it behaves totally different from the installers of openSUSE or Ubuntu-based systems. Now, being different doesn’t essentially mean being bad.

Fedora, as usual, brings a lot of goodies for new and seasoned users. One of the most important changes is the arrival of DNF as the permanent replacement of 'Yum'. In my experience so far, ‘dnf’ is faster and more efficient than yum. There is no learning curve here, just replace yum with dnf in all the commands you remember and it will work just fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is a great distribution as long as you are running a pure ‘free software’ stack on it. The life of a Fedora user becomes difficult the moment you think of getting proprietary drivers for your GPUs. I have bad memories of broken Fedora systems because I wanted to use non-free drivers for my Nvidia cards.

Getting mp3 to work on Fedora can still be challenging. If you have to do a Google search for tutorials on how to get mp3 to work in 2015 I don’t think the distro is targeted at average PC users. After struggling to play music in Rhythmbox and Clementine I gave up and resorted to the third party tool Fedy. Fedy does an incredible job at installing the much needed software and tweaking the system to suit a user's needs.

I am truly impressed with Fedora 22. Once you tweak your system with Fedy and Gnome Tweak Tool you will have one of the best Linux distros around.

Nothing beats the gratification of using Fedora. This is a distro that works upstream, gives everything to the community, values free software and, as a result, remains at the heart of the Linux and open source revolution.

As far as KDE Plasma goes, since the project has been split into three components it's hard to put the Plasma experience in one box. It’s way too confusing to remember which version of Plasma Applications or Frameworks is running on a system at any given point.

Fedora 22 comes with Plasma 5, which I fear is still not fully ready for the prime time. Though I have been using Plasma 5 on some systems, the experience really varies from one distro to another. While I have no issue with Plasma 5 on Arch Linux; the experience on openSUSE Tumbleweed was mixed. So far I haven't noticed any problems on my Fedora KDE box.

It was sad to see that the KDE edition didn’t get the same kind of love as Gnome did. The KDE spin doesn’t come with Firefox or Chromium as the pre-installed browsers. openSUSE seems to be the only distro which offers great integration with the chosen DE. Whether you choose Gnome or KDE, the distro will be fully integrated with that DE.

Plasma, as usual brings all the latest and greatest ideas from the KDE community. The infamous Nepomuk is gone and it has been replaced by Baloo which is extremely resource efficient. You will be able to enjoy the work KDE developers are doing on Plasma 5.

Since my Arch Linux box is heavily customized, the vanilla experience of Plasma leaves a lot to be desired. I wish Plasma developers would bring in some consistencies with themes. Compared to Gnome, there are way too many elements in the Plasma UI which create distraction. Unlike Gnome the UI doesn't blend in or disappear to focus on the content.

As expected 'Software' is not available for KDE and you have to use Apper, which is nice but not as polished as Software.

"Fedora: The Best Linux Distribution"

What do you like best?

- Free, Open Source and the best Linux Distribution ever.

- Good availability of proprietary software.

- Package Management Facility (Yum and RPM) is advanced, quite fast and simple to use.

- The Fedora Community is very supportive and it is immune to viruses, malware.

- The Updated Fedora OS comes with a new package manager called DNF which is incredible in terms of speed, resolving dependencies and neat uninstall.

- Ease to bug fix , polish and highly stable (Compared to other OS like Ubuntu or Arch).

- It comes with different desktop environments such as GNOME, KDE, MATE, LXDE and Cinnamon.

- Fedora Servers, the primary feature of this product which comes with latest data center technologies.

- If you are a developer or a novice programmer choosing fedora will lead you to the right phase.

What do you dislike?

- Unavailability of software packages or latest version of software.

- The Online Support is very poor since Fedora is deceived by other OS such as Ubuntu and Windows.

- Irrespective of the Hardware, the System will heat up very fast.

- All the Fedora Desktop Environments consume battery to their best.

- Few packages or native repositories requires update every time.

- Fedora is actually a beta test for RedHat Enterprise Linux.

- Fedora is really difficult to handle for beginners.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

- Fedora is easy, fast and worth a try.

- If you are steady learner and ready to accept challenges, you are advised to use Fedora.

- I use Fedora mainly as my personal desktop. It is really easy to switch between the technologies and the packet manager is simple and fast.

- After working with Ubuntu, OpenBSD, Debian and Mint, Fedora is highly stable, software commitment last long and easy to learn.

(Myself Only)

"A great Linux OS"

What do you like best?

Fedora is a free open source OS for Linux platform. The main reason to shift from windows to fedora is its stable and secured nature. There is no problem of any viruses in fedora it is most secured Operating System. It is easy to install. Fedora is more stable and faster. It is a best platform for learning purposes, we can test many software in fedora platform to make sure software works fine. Easy to install any software in fedora. Great interface with customization facility.

What do you dislike?

The main feature which is available in other operating systems like windows and not in fedora is gaming, we can't play high graphics games in fedora. Beginners may find little difficulty in understanding commands and about how to use. It consumes more resources like battery, CPU power etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is a great operating system for those who are looking for secured and stable OS. It is free and easy to install, you can easily use it.

I shifted from windows to fedora few years back. It is really great Operating system. I think it is best suited for learners. I am learning lots of things from it.

Associate Software Engineer
Computer Networking

"Fedora: Made for dual booting, Real Linux, Professional"

What do you like best?

For the ones using Linux along with windows, it is best one has it boots fast and doesn't crash which helps to for frequent shifting from windows to Linux and vice versa. It helps a lot to learn about OS architecture, Virus and other securities are similar to other Linux platforms except SELinux feature which has multiple security policies. But it scores with higher stability of OS, RHEL based updating and file system unification. Also it Has good support team like other Linux platforms.

What do you dislike?

Fedora is like real and professional Linux, Doesn't have much personalisation options like Ubuntu, user experience is not so convincing, support should be extended for older versions. Its battery consumption is more compared to other distros and not recommended for beginners especially for a non-IT guy. Other than this I don't see any issues in Fedora.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fedora is not recommended for learners, for expert coders and other IT professionals and for the ones using dual boot systems Fedora is the right option. That's life learn and move on.

It has professional look, and best one for dual boot. Doesn't have stability issues, and has many inbuilt packages like, Octave.

CEO
Automotive

"Fedore - for OS developers and programmers at its best."

What do you like best?

An open source operating system with best features. Any OS developers without much knowledge of architecture but with prerequisites of OS concepts can easily understand the underlying archtecture easily by making changes to OS in live. Fast boot speed is an advantage of this OS to use. Virus free OS which avoids buying anti virus softwares which is more economical.

What do you dislike?

An addictive to games for gamers will get disappointed as there are no much high end games available in the fedore store. yum which is provided by fedore is not much appreciatable compared to ubuntu's apt-get repository. Windows softwares doesnt work here like many video editing softwares.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Any opensource contributers and any users with fast usage of OS i prefer this. Any one who is not willing to afford money for antivirus this is built for them as well.

As iam intrested in programming and well into open source contribution in mozilla i started undrestand the underlying architecture of a OS for which fedora helped me a lot with less efforts of checking the internet for each and every concept .

Student

"Best secured and stable OS"

What do you like best?

A free and secured OS to use on linux. More stable and easy to update and install. We can change from one desktop environment to another like GNOME, KDE etc. There is no hanging or virus problems like windows. Most required Os for learning purposes. For a learner on different areas it is best OS to lead.

What do you dislike?

Main dislike is no gaming support. System gets heat up fast and battery management is poor. It is little difficult for beginners to handle. Package management is not good, many times miss latest version packages. Does not support some software which is supported by windows like Photoshop.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Most stable and very good OS to use. If you are learner and ready to do learn more go for it. It is easy to use and more secured OS. It is easy to install and try it.

I am using dual boot system with windows and fedora. For many projects and for testing i use fedora. Even in academic labs we use fedora to do our lab works which include software like ns2, octal etc.

Software Developer

"Fedora, the Programmer's Oasis"

What do you like best?

It is perfect when you're learning how to program. It has just what you need, and nothing else. No bloatware, no garbage. It is also very lightweight, and it's requirements are pretty low. With a low-end computer you can run this OS with no problem at all!

What do you dislike?

Sincerely, I wish I could write a lot of content here, but I believe there's not much to say about the cons of Fedora. The GUI(Graphical User Interface) seems very antiquished, I wish it had a modern style.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're gonna use Fedora, then think a lot about it. If you want it for gaming, or want it for just browsing the web, then go for another OS. This is perfect for programming and to manage VPS.

I really had the need to learn how to program. I wished to progress on my professional life so I enrolled to a couple programming courses, and I learned how to while using this OS. It was a wonderful experience!

QA Automation Engineer

"Unix OS for developers"

What do you like best?

It comes with almost all the tools a software developer needs, the ones that you need are a click away.

I also like the fact that it has built in docker support and comes with a set of virtualization tools. The UI is sleek looking and you get used to it fast.

What do you dislike?

Even though the UI is nice, I am too much used to windows style so I went with cinnamon desktop not the standard one.

Same old drivers issue with old hardware, but this is the same with all linux versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're coming from windows/mac, do yourself a favor and go with cinnamon from the start. You can add it later of course and choose which to start at the login step so there's nothing to be sorry about.

Everyday OS for movie streaming, web browsing, programming. The main benefits over windows are the price (free) and the lower security risk. Over other unix distributions it has the out of the box programming support benefit.

Full stack developer

"Fedora- Thinking about the future"

What do you like best?

The easy installation which takes less time as well as effort .

Fedora has high stability as compared to other OS.

Main feature which admires is the boot up time it boots up very quickly within seconds.

Working with it from years i haven't seen it crashed a single time.

code being available for modification or called open source which helps developers to grow the business

No antivirus required.

Advanced facility for package management.

The huge community available to solve you problem regarding your OS.

What do you dislike?

It heats up very quickly causing my battery to drain very easily.

Beginners find problem to getting adapted to this environment.

Sometimes i face problem with the drivers maybe because of some specific hardware requirement .

Lack of some program support.

The interface should be taken care off.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are new to programming field i recommend you to start with Fedora as is it a open source and has many kind of benefits.

Mainly there is no boundaries in this but at first you will take time to adapt to Fedora.

Specially if you are working on security related projects this is the right option to go with as it doesn't cost you for any kind of malware detection software.

Working for a service offering project. There is not much security related steps to be taken off minimizing the effort as well as cost of the company. Flexibility offered by this environment helps us think out of the box.

Software Engineer

"One of the very best linux distros"

What do you like best?

Very fast and user friendly linux distro, though it is not as famous as the standard ubuntu.

What do you dislike?

Still contains several bugs, like any linux distro which is open source, most of them coming from several beta updates related to the UI or GPU drivers. I also encountered problems with kernel updates that killed my entire system on my old laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I strongly recommend Fedora to all users that are currently bored of Ubuntu and willing to try something new and more efficient, as well as more user friendly, though a bit more unstable probably.

Like in any linux distro, you can optimize the UI by installing several features such as zram-config, preload or other similar things.

Moreover, if you have an nvidia GPU, you can install optirun and primusrun to optimize the use of your GPU.

I am not a current user at the moment, though I was using it in High School and first academic year at university mostly for coding. It is one of the OS' es through which I got used to the Linux System the most.

Higher Education

"Fedora: Faster LINUX OS"

What do you like best?

I have been using fedora to develop Java applications, its a great OS with better GUI, better user experience, its much better compared to Ubuntu, the OS boots very quickly it takes less than 20 seconds to turn on the OS, virtualization features are the best in Fedora its very easy to install VM workstation, best virtualization support,The OS gets updated automatically, Fedora has better graphics when compared to other LInux OS, Fedora is immune to security breaches it has a customisable firewall, Fedora 15 is extremely reliable and robust. Fedora (16) has new features which support cloud computing. Improved APIs are readily available for software developers such as python plugins for GCC, Its free open source software with a huge developer community. Ease of use, we use the OS with installing directly from the Booting drive. The GNOME desktop environment provides a better user interface. Very stable Linux OS.

What do you dislike?

Not many applications are available in the software center, Fragmentation in terms of distros, user-interfaces (QT, GTK, etc.), difficult to operate without prior Unix skills, user has to get himself comfortable using command line, it requires large amount of customization, UI not as mature as windows. Absence of the gnome tweak tool which makes extensions hard to manage. Bugs are yet to be fixed, the hub and spoke model installer is extremely confusing and counter intuitive for a new user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has been a great experience using fedora, its very comfortable to use and write code when compared to windows, with limited number of applications the usability if reduced, developing applications is a lot easier when compared to windows.

I am currently using fedora to run softwares such as mat-lab and network-simulator-2, and i am also into developing java applications in fedora and contributing to softwares such as Neuro-construct.

Higher Education

"Fedora OS (21) - The future of Linux"

What do you like best?

Fast booting speed, less crashes when i compared to my previous ubuntu OS, latest Gnome 3 shell with all the bells and whistles, Windows type background updates by yum and the plus point is its open source feature which helped me as a programmer to understand the underlying architechture and learn easily. Simple and good looking user interface. Hanging when opening more tabs in chrome is much less compared to any other OS.

What do you dislike?

The repo options provided by yum which is used in fedora is not much satisfyable. Adding and removing a repo was much easier task in ubuntu but not in fedora. 3D gaming experience for higher graphics games is obviously slow for which i need to shift to windows OS for which i have dual booted the OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I suggest Fedora OS for those who are in search of learnig and developing an OS and intrested in OS princioples and debugging tasks this is the best fit fot their work and also for those who prefer fast boot speed and good UI can also use this.

We are bsaically building and managing Operating systems where a new architecture is built and learnt with applying new strateigies for improving the performance of the current OS.

"Fedora : Real, Stable and Opensource"

What do you like best?

Fedora is well known, has many user users and very good forum which makes it easy to get help. I have used Fedora for my primary work system. Fedora runs on every computer I have tried to put it on, and I have never had any issues after installation. Fedora is incredibly stable unlike many other distros such as Ubuntu. I also really like the GUI and software store. Fedora provides a very developer friendly gnome-based operating system. Booting and shut down time is very little. You get the latest updates from RHEL straight away.

What do you dislike?

Other distros boot faster than fedora. Fedora allows only 13-month support per release. I think Gnome 3 doesn't quite "do" polish as much as Unity. I am very fussy about fonts looking right, and I'm afraid that at smaller sizes, the font scaling in the Gnome terminal just looked wrong, whereas Unity is perfect in this sense. It supposedly is a testing ground for Red Hat's other projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to become an software engineer I would suggest to get used to Fedora which is open source operating system. Your Computer will be as creative as you if you use Fedora. You can make modification that you would like to have. Forums are really helpful to learn. If you encounter with any problems google.com will always help

I am currently working on control system design for Quadcopter. Octave is very user friendly and It has many good inbuilt libraries. Forums were of great help whenever i got struck somewhere in between.

(Myself Only)

"Satisfactory"

What do you like best?

I like live environment as it boots up quickly enough. It is less prone to virus and other malignant applications. And the biggest change on this release (Fedora 17) is the unification of the file system that moved /bin, /sbin, /lib, and /lib64 directories to the /usr folder. Fedora security updates for each release stop coming out after only about a year. Users who want to keep a system up and running for longer than that have to make the move to RHEL or CentOS. Ubuntu users can select a "Long Term Support" release of the regular distribution. One of GNOME 3.4's features is where window decorations change to a greyscale theme when focus is removed. It's a little weird and unexpected when first encountered, but it's not a complete disappointment.

What do you dislike?

It is not user friendly, especially for a non computer guy. The weirdest fault that I've seen in a long time is the lack of Verdana as a font in Fedora 17, when it was good in Fedora 16. Hardware-manufacturers don't see Linux as a marketshare worth considering and hence the users will eventually find some (brand-new or obscure mostly) hardware that sadly doesn't run on Linux. Fragmentation in terms of distros, user-interfaces (QT, GTK, etc.), packages.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider using fedora only if you are looking for a substitute for windows and free for malignant software and applications. And most importantly the user must have preliminary coding experience so as to reap the maximum benefit from it.

I am currently inclined towards providing E-Learning packages to facilitate learning elementary concepts for school children. No benefits so far.

"Fedora: A Useful Linux Distribution!"

What do you like best?

The booting speed is very fast in Fedora. I run Fedora virtually for my project, and turning on the Fedora GNOME screen is a matter of 10 to 15 seconds. And being a Linux distribution, security requires not much concern. It even promotes SELinux feature that implements multiple security policies, which is not the case with all Linux distributions.

What do you dislike?

Since I use fedora virtually for my project purposes, I don't see particular flaws in fedora apart from the general drawbacks of all linux distributions such as gaming, no extensive applications as it is there in windows and so on. Other drawback that first time users generally find in fedora is that it is a quite hard to learn and get used to fedora.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I personally feel comfortable using a Linux distribution than Windows as OS. When it comes to Linux distributions, you can go either for Fedora or for Ubuntu (again, my opinion). The apps are nearly the same in both flavors. If you want some impressive looks, then go for Ubuntu but if you want to use your resources effectively and avail features such as fast boot, easy bug fix etc. then go for fedora.

I use fedora mainly for programming purposes and to run some of the softwares such as ns2 and octave.

Web Specialist
Internet

"Fedora: Linux for simple people"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of Fedora is the reason I fell in love with it. The interface hides the tasks bar to immerse one in the task they're performing. Using convenient keyboard shortcuts to switch between tasks and workspaces.

Also love the additionally security provided by SeLinux

What do you dislike?

Installing proprietary drivers is complicated although possible. I'm also not super excited about managing software repositories in Fedora.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're an Ubuntu user, you will find a lot of gotchas such as using dnf instead of apt-get to manage installed software.

Fedora is our development operating system of choice. We find that the simplicity of the operating system increases productivity.

"Fedora - Meeting your requirements."

What do you like best?

Dynamic Firewall - Fedora’s firewall is available or customizing and it is not difficult at all.

Fast Boot - Helps to turn on ur PC within 15-20 seconds

Power management - It has the best power management compared to other linux based OS.

Package Manager

Updating facility is the best, helps to fix the bugs.

Graphics - graphical tools found in Fedora OS is huge

What do you dislike?

It lacks many of the management tools

Not suitable for desktop users who use it daily.

Sometimes it is unreliable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try Fedora for some days if it meets your requirements then well and good. Based on my experience it basically depends on each one requirements.

Working on security issues it mainly helps to customize my firewall so that i can work on every issue and help to counteract with it.

Web Dev