edX

EdX offers interactive online classes and MOOCs from the world's best universities, colleges and organizations.

Work for edX?

Learning about edX?

edX Reviews

Showing 77 edX reviews
edX review by Morgan T.
Morgan T.

"A satisfying online learning experience"

What do you like best?

The amount of detail that goes into the courses I've taken was really great. I would say that the course material structure was very similar to courses I've taken at actual colleges. I feel like I can learn the course information much more effective online, especially when edX helps to sort material in a way that makes it easy to access. The amount of courses on edX is great. I like that they're not all boring traditional school type courses.

What do you dislike?

Most of my courses were not too expensive, but some courses can get quite up there in price. I think it's hard to fully justify some of the high prices for digital course material with limited live involvement. I don't really dislike anything about the courses or the professors though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're really picky about your education or courses that can help you develop skills in your profession, then edX should satisfy you compared to alternatives out there at the moment. Learning from actual school professors helps to ensure you're getting a reputable education.

edX helps me to access quality online courses for mostly reasonable prices. I can advance many aspects of my career development through edX courses. The edX website makes it easy for me to quickly go in and get to the material I'm looking for. I can easily go back where I left off at anytime. Being able to learn at my own speed has not only been good for scheduling purposes, but I feel that I can retain information more effectively.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about edX
edX review by Mary A.
Mary A.

"Just Use edX"

What do you like best?

edX comes with a lot of relevant courses. It has helped with the difficulties that come with acquiring soft skills, understanding complex concepts and getting added certifications. It is easy to set up. They have great customer support. They always have the best courses for me. With edX it is incredibly easy to learn. It also provides a user community who are always on hand to help

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses on edX are quite expensive. I have done a few courses that were offered on other platforms at relatively cheaper prices. The cost sometimes can be prohibitive. Apart from that, it is really great

Recommendations to others considering the product

edX is an online learning platform where you can learn whatever it is you need. It is yours to try

Whenever I need to learn new concepts or better understand the ones I already know, I just go on edX and enroll for a relevant course in that particular field. It is a great friend. There was a professional course I took last year. I had initially registered with a certified expert, but when I saw the cou.rse on edX, I changed my mind and I decided to do it on edX. Of course, the course took longer to complete on edX than the physical classes, but what I gained with the way the course was structured on edX trumped what the expert could offer within the period of time he took it. It is really great

What Online Course Providers solution do you use?

edX review by Bodunrin J.
Bodunrin J.

"edX Gets You There"

What do you like best?

It is an incredible online learning platform where you can learn virtually anything. It is really easy to enroll and register for courses. You can easily take the courses at your own pace and make improvements at your own speed. They have free courses which you can learn for free and only pay for certifications. It is unique and easy to use. They also have a strong user community on top of that. I love using edx

What do you dislike?

edX improves you. It takes you from where you are to where you want to be. It is a perfect 10 for me. Absolutely no dislikes.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is famous for quality service delivery. If you are wondering why a lot of people write nice reviews about it every day then you should try it and enroll for a course too.

edX makes it extremely easy to learn online. I learn mostly professional courses on edX. I love tye way in which the courses are structured as it makes it possible to learn at my convenience. The LMS is also really great and easy to use. It makes learning entirely fun

edX review by Kevin L.
Kevin L.

"Intuitive interface design with engaging online courses"

What do you like best?

The quality of most of the courses I've taken are very good. Along with some traditional courses you might find at brick and mortar colleges, edX offers a wide range of specialized courses that really zero in on my needs. I can take courses with acquire skills and knowledge that I can actually apply to my occupation. The teachers are generally engaging and come across as attentive and caring. I like that course details and resources are easy to find and access.

What do you dislike?

I think since online learning isn't always the best way to go for all courses, edX can be very limiting in capturing the full experience of a course. It's easier to let the course work get away from you and let time drag on. Also, there probably isn't as much prestige or validity in getting certified through edX compared to taking a live course in person.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should be able to find at least one course that is relevant to you and your occupation. Compared to other course platforms I've read about out there, edX seems to be one of the best and I can see why.

I can take very valuable business courses on my own time and improve my understanding of different corners of business. I save lots of time from not having to travel to class and sit there for a specified period of time. edX is very flexible and offers courses that aren't easy for me to find in my local area. I have been certified through edX and often use the knowledge I've acquired from the courses.

edX review by Cy C.
Cy C.

"Helps me learn better than standard in-person courses"

What do you like best?

The course structures are easy to follow, yet still contain in-depth information and course work that is similar to actual college courses. I like that I can access this platform at any time of day. The layout of the menus and content is neat and nice for me to look at for hours at a time. The quality of the material is as good as I could expect. edX uses professors with top qualifications and years of experience.

What do you dislike?

The online course experience isn't for everyone and may make it harder for some people to be engaged and learn compared to live courses. Though I generally like to learn at my own pace, there are some courses that don't keep my attention. I would likely thrive more in live versions of those courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to improve your professional life and expand your mind on your own time, edX is a great and widely platform for doing that. I'd suggest first checking out a few short courses, especially the ones that are about edX itself, before diving deep into other courses.

edX gives me the tools to learn from some of the best in their field. I can receive a top quality education from the comfort of my home and on my own schedule. The knowledge I acquire from these courses helps me to improve my performance in my professional life without taking too much time away from my life. I have more confidence with speaking on certain business topics after taking some edX courses.

edX review by Derrick B.
Derrick B.

"A very convenient way to learn and increase my professional knowledge"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate that many of the courses are taught by respected professors from highly reputable universities such as Harvard and Wharton. Like college courses, there is a syllabus for each course that outlines the course details so we have a clear understanding of what we're going to learn. There is a huge selection of courses that go over general and specific topics related to my business. I can take the courses on my own time and even get certified.

What do you dislike?

Even though I find most of the courses to be effective, it'd be hard for me to say that it can completely replace live in-person courses. Though there is a ton of information offered, I can't quite get immersed into the courses the way that I do with in-person courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're very busy and want a quality educational experience that is as robust as you could expect for online courses, then edX is a great choice. There is very little commitment compared to enrolling at an actual school and you should be able to pick up on much of the critical information you'd learn at an in-person course.

edX has been a great way for me to learn about a variety of business topics in depth and on my own time. I don't have to worry about moving large chunks of my schedule around to drive to a school and sit in a classroom for hours. The design of the website, the videos and course materials are generally very engaging.

edX review by Daniel I.
Daniel I.

"Get better with edX"

What do you like best?

edX has been of great benefits to me. It's proving to be a university on its own. I can take several useful courses at my convenience. The user interface is very friendly. The courses on offer are always up to date. They also have the prestige and pedigree to pull the big weights in academics. There are courses from prestigious universities on offer on their platform. It's really nice

What do you dislike?

It scored a 10 out of 10 in my recommendation scale. I can't fault it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is best for self-improvement. I have been using it for a while now and I can tell you it's the best there is. It's worth the try

I have been able to improve myself academically through the use of edX. I work in the Aviation sector and I use the programming skills I learn on the edX platform to solve several problems in my department

edX review by Samuel A.
Samuel A.

"An Online Learning Platform that Works"

What do you like best?

edX has always been there to provide world-class courses for my benefits. It is really great. The LMS is really great. It makes it really easy to interact and structure courses. It has an active and always helpful user community too. It can also be deployed in industries and organizations

What do you dislike?

edX trumps almost every other online learning platform. There is honestly nothing to hate about it. It works really well

Recommendations to others considering the product

edX is one platform that can be of immense benefits to you. I speak from experience. So if you can, give it a try. It is really cool

edX has helped my professional life immensely. It has been my own personal online higher institution. It has helped really well in driving me to excellence. It makes me better. It has been of tremendous benefits

edX review by Kashimawo P.
Kashimawo P.

"Amazing online learning platform"

What do you like best?

It allows you to learn in real-time, communicate with your tutors and achieve incredible results due to the very interactive nature of the platform. Course archiving, which allows you to learn at your convenience, is also possible. It has helped the stress and time wastage that come with holding physical classes

What do you dislike?

I love the learning platform. It is even really easy to enroll for courses. They are the best out there in the field of online learning and there is nothing to hate

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edx brings the best out of you. I personally recommend it

I now take courses on edx to help me become an all-rounded individual in a professional sense. The courses are always world-class, taken by world-class lecturers. I just simply love it. It has been really useful so far

edX review by Adams G.
Adams G.

"edX, a School of Learning"

What do you like best?

edX is way the most useful and reliable online platform that gives users the full possibilities of learning far and wide from different fields. Various courses materials are available for learners to get the best of learning. I like it more because it offers more free courses than other learning platform

What do you dislike?

Getting certificates with their courses need you to pay for it. It doesn't really matter much though, users at least can enroll for and gets access to course contents.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is one of the best that you can learn on.

It saves me the challenges with learning online. I had some courses enrolled for with edx at an affordable price.

edX review by Noah C.
Noah C.

"Generally good course material that's convenient to access"

What do you like best?

The quality of the course material and simplicity of accessing it are my favorite things. Some other online course companies I've looked at before didn't offer the variety of courses that edX has. The way edX presents the course content feels similar to real college courses - at least some of the ones I've taken. I like being able to actually interact with people about the course instead of just watching a video and reading some PDF files or something.

What do you dislike?

Compared to real in-person courses, there's a strong chance that these edX online courses aren't looked at as legitimately as in-person courses. If you're looking to devote time to pad your educational portfolio, the value you get from a resume standpoint is questionable compared to taking a college or extension class.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX can be a good educational platform for people that have tight schedules and want to explore course material that is different that what you'd typically find at brick and mortar schools.

I've mainly been able to quickly absorb knowledge in a structured way. I often go online and search for information here and there from Google by reading articles and watch random videos and such, but edX gives me a way to learn about subjects in a more complete way. I can use much of the knowledge and skills I learn to improve my day-to-day work and feel I have a better chance at progressing professionally.

edX review by Raji H.
Raji H.

"edX is where I learn most Subjects Online"

What do you like best?

edX is the main place where I took the majority of the courses I have learnt. It is an avenue for you to become a great learning mind, giving a very large and vast array of disciplines and subjects to learn one or two things about them. Great courses available, impressive learning contents which are way better and effective than what we have at some other learning platform. edX is the best for me.

What do you dislike?

edX courses are one of the most expensive we have, although you are allowed to just audit most courses and learn it without having to pay a dime.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is the right place to learn outside schools. It is great

To be honest, I took more courses on edX than what we have taken in college. I have learnt across most disciplines and field at my leisure time and it has been great

edX review by Maryalba G.
Maryalba G.

"Una gran opción para aprender"

What do you like best?

EDX ofrece una gran gama de cursos tipo MOOC para poder desarrollar habilidades, ampliar el conocimiento y aumentar nuestras capacidades académicas. Los cursos de EDX son ofertados por instituciones de renombre como el Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo, Harvard University, MIT y muchas otras instituciones cuyo valor académico a nivel mundial está amplia mente respaldado y verificado. Los cursos abarcan una enorme rama de aspectos pasando por economía, computación, historia, filosofía e idiomas, lo que hace que sea sencillo integrarse a este sistema y comenzar a aprender.

What do you dislike?

La mayor parte de los cursos no cuenta con certificados verificados gratuitos, lo que complejiza en gran medida las oportunidades de personas de bajos recursos de poder corroborar sus aptitudes y capacidades al no ser capaz de poder pagar un certificado que autentique dicho conocimiento. Algunos cursos en la medida de su posibilidad e incluso algunos lo han hecho, deberían fomentar el otorgamiento de certificados verificados por sorteo o por tareas cumplidas, eso motivaría más a los estudiantes a enrolarse en los cursos.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Cuando inicias en EDZ debes considerar que tipo de cursos te gustan y que es lo que deseas aprender, en un principio puedes verte bastante abrumado por la cantidad de oferta, pero con un poco de tiempo y con una selección precisa, puedes estudiar en el curso que realmente necesitas y mejorar tu conocimiento y el manejo de muchas herramientas para tu desempeño profesional.

EDX me ha ayudado a conocer una gran cantidad de herramientas vinculadas al manejo de proyectos, a la planificación, desarrollo sostenible y gramática inglesa, auditando estos cursos he podido manejar mejor las herramientas de planificación de proyectos y obtener una visión general del desarrollo y la gramática.

edX review by Riman D.
Riman D.

"One of The Best Inventions for Higher Ed"

What do you like best?

edX is a tremendous website that puts the power of higher education from some of the top institutions around the work in your hands. When it comes to cost; it's only the time that you invest in to improve yourself and expand your potential. I love how the organization allows you to put a fraction of the cost of the degrees you earn to get an official certificate of diploma that verifies the legitimacy of your learning achievements.

What do you dislike?

I almost love everything about edX. However, my only criticism is how it does not allow for complete flexibility at times where it asks you to wait for several months until the desired courses have open enrollment. I'd appreciate seeing it becoming more open to enroll students at their own schedule and availability.

As a student, edX has allowed me the opportunity to expand my knowledge in certain areas that I need to improve my work of complement my official schooling. And through my work at an educational organization, edX allowed to to recommend other courses to students and friends at no cost to help them become more successful.

edX review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"edX Review"

What do you like best?

I like how they teach their courses. Very professional and interesting. Support is a good one as they respond well to problems. Offer certificates for the courses you take.

In summary, edX is a leading learning platform. Free classes are also available for those that can spend much on getting knowledge. It is such a wonderful learning platform.

What do you dislike?

Too much of promotional messages on your email. These get really frustrating and annoying. I hope this can be reduced.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX can be very useful to professionals. It is what I can recommend to my colleagues and Sucess is sure with it. There are ranges of classes that can be enrolled for and get certified. There also free classes if you're not willing to spend extra money to learn

Mastered new skills with edX. Also got certificates for courses completed there. It is indeed a nice learning website

edX review by Nicole A.
Nicole A.

"Easy and accessible learning"

What do you like best?

I love how accessible it is. There is a transcript for the audio that is pretty spot on.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the layout of the discussions tab could be much more organized. It's not a very intuitive layout -- all discussions are listed in a narrow menu to the left of the page. The landing page for the Discussions tab pretty much demonstrates what I mean -- they tell you how to do actions in the discussion that should be intuitive but aren't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really, really good if you're working full-time but need to supplement your work experience and fulfill your desire to keep learning. The videos aren't super cheesy (there are so many educational videos that make me gag because it's so painfully scripted) -- the videos are obviously scripted but they're much more natural than other videos I've come across. I like to listen to the video on my phone via the edX app so it works as a sort of podcast for me during my commutes. There's also an option to upgrade to get a verified certificate which I'm considering but right now I'm using edX mainly to keep my curiosity nourished.

I'm taking education courses on HarvardX to supplement my work experience, as I work at an education non-profit. As someone working nearly 60 hours per week, the accessibility of edX to learn on the go (there's an app, too!) is pretty amazing.

edX review by Azeez A.
Azeez A.

"Improve with edx"

What do you like best?

edx is a nice educational platform where you can have access to nearly all courses existing on the planet. It has a flexible payment method which allows you to audit a course easily and upgrade to a verified version if satisfied with the course. A nice dashboard which helps you keep track of your progress during the course. edx certificate has better reputation allowing you to share your certificate confidently.

What do you dislike?

It's a great platform, easy to use with nice integration, nothing to hate about this platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Improve yourself with better knowledge

Improving oneself in the relevant field of study.

edX review by User in Higher Education

"An outstanding resource for all"

What do you like best?

edX is one of the best online course websites out there, giving users access to hundreds of free and paid undergraduate, graduate and post-grad courses in a wide range of subjects. Whether your interested in learning leadership principles or accounting or thermodynamics, edX has it all.

What do you dislike?

edX should include an option for a facebook-type layout for its discussion forums (an integral part of most course cohorts) and provide more certified courses that can be completed at self-pace instead of a fixed timeline.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is a good starting point to the world of online education and most popular courses are usually free, making it a risk free investment of your time and efforts.

I'm taking courses in business, leadership and education that complement my career goals.

edX review by Umair A.
Umair A.

"A great, vast online database for all type of courses in undergrad, grad and postgrad careers."

What do you like best?

The choice and diversity of subjects available, the level of instruction.

What do you dislike?

Some of the features are exclusively for paid users - certificate is another thing but other differences are not okay!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After MOOCs, it is the best online education software for all types of classes. A bit low tech than MOOCs but that too becomes an advantage in certain cases...where the audience is not that highly qualified. Distance learning has become more of a convenience through these. Video and audio quality is high. Reviews, subject matter, grading, everything is helpful.

It is free - It works on your own pace - If you skipped a class, or your students did, or you are an office worker - you can always refer to this place for quality education.

edX review by Anand P.
Anand P.

"Valuable learning platform for up-to-date subjects at very affordable prices! "

What do you like best?

Learning material through videos at our own available time. Weekly assignments keep us on our toes for extended learning. It helped me get used to the American system of a week in week out assignments and quizzes concept very well.

What do you dislike?

As a student living on parents pocket money, it was little hard to pay for the courses completely at the start of course. Coming from a country where currency conversion to dollar was 65 times, it was tough to afford at regular intervals. Length of few courses is a little too small which makes it tough to use it for credits in classroom

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very viable alternative to Coursera considering the fact that coursera has increased costs for courses and made courses multi-fold making it tough to pay for it all .

Taking requirement courses for my Masters through EdX. It helped me bridge the gap between Indian and American system of education, especially when I was changing my Major. It helps me get expertise in topics which cost a lot per credit in full time schools. It also helps valuably to learn from great professors all over the worls.

edX review by Pavel D.
Pavel D.

"I have enrolled for a veriaty of courses on edX "

What do you like best?

Courses.edx.org got plenty of courses on a very big variety of subjects from technical code writing to analytical and theoretical.

Some courses contain code labs, some videos, and explanations - there is a significant amount of knowledge that can be gained by using Courses.edx.org platform, at your own pace.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more free online courses and free certificates on some courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Edx is a great place to expand your knowledge if you'll make a habit to learn something every day even for watching a 5/10 min video your benefit will be huge!

I am an autodidact programmer, and I am always looking for some online courses when I have some spare time, Edx is a great place to expand your knowledge in different areas.

edX review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Enorme plataforma para cursos en la Web"

What do you like best?

La cantidad y el tipo de cursos que ofrecen, tienen una gama de cursos enorme y actualizada, los temas que tratan están en boga y los materiales y los profesores son de altísimo nivel, particularmente me inclino hacia la Gestión de Proyectos, el Análisis de Datos y la Visualización de información estadística, en este sentido he participado en cursos impartidos por el Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo y la, experiencia fue muy provechoso, incluso tienen un paquete de varios cursos que califica como una especialización.

What do you dislike?

Los cursos son enormemente costosos, hablamos de 25 a 100$ por certificado, que para residentes de Venezuela es un precio impagable, así que no posee certificados verificados, solo he podido auditar los cursos y descargar los materiales.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Deben probar la plataforma porque es muy útil y ofrece una gama enorme de cursos para mejorar el aprendizaje y las habilidades, pero deben tener en cuenta que todos los cursos son pagos y deben tener un presupuesto amplo para obtener certificados verificados.

Con EDX he aprendido muchísimo sobre la gestión de proyectos, de la cual he podido aplicar varias técnicas en mi área de trabajo, como el Calculo del Tiempo, el Análisis de la Ruta Critica y el método de Scrum, ha sido una valiosa herramienta para mejorar mi conocimiento en esta área.

edX review by shasank g.
shasank g.

"why to go for an edX course."

What do you like best?

Brilliant for learning the basics of any topic and most of them are free, from there onwards you can find a suitable base for exploring the course further.

What do you dislike?

Most of the courses that are freely available are very basic in nature and the paid courses are quite expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have decided to touch the baseline of any new technology, then you should absolutely give it a try. This will help in the formation of basics and will give you an overall idea of the technology you are pursuing.

I learned the basics of data science with python and ruby. After that, I decided to move forward with the python. This helped me in making a choice of language to move forward with.

edX review by Augusto P.
Augusto P.

"Un MOOC al alcance de cualquiera"

What do you like best?

La plataforma EDX ofrece cursos de manera gratuita y bajo pago de múltiples campos desde psicología, sociología, matemática, ciencia, fisolofia, economía, entre muchos otros, que pueden ser realizados con cualquier persona que desea mejorar su conocimiento en alguna materia o sencillamente aprender algún tema de interés. Los cursos son respaldados por grandes y reconocidas universidades como Harvard o el MIT, lo que le otorga un gran prestigio a los cursos y a los certificados que obtienen los estudiantes.

What do you dislike?

Los precios de gran parte de los certificados verificados son realmente costosos, especialmente para personas que residimos en América Latina y no tenemos un ingreso alto como para pagarlos, de igual forma la desaparición de los certificados gratuitos, ha provocado que muy pocas personas puedan validar sus conocimientos dado que no hay manera de comprobar que realizaron dicho curso.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

EDX es un plataforma que debe ser considerada por todos los profesionales, estudiantes y trabajadores de cualquier organización, tanto para ampliar conocimiento como para aprender nuevas herramientas o conocer cuales son las tendencias en ciertos tópicos actuales como la economía, el desarrollo y las ciencias de computación.

EDX nos ha ayudado especialmente con los cursos asociados al Project Management dado que con estos hemos podido conocer las herramientas mas novedosas y útiles para poder desarrollar nuestros proyectos y actividades. Metodologías como el Scrum han ayudado a generar tormentas de ideas y dinámicas de grupo muy útiles para atacar y resolver los problemas de la organización.

edX review by Cesar A S.
Cesar A S.

"Excelente página de MOOC para todo público"

What do you like best?

La cantidad de cursos que ofrecen, es un gran abanico de opciones en sus cursos, pueden realizarse cursos de cualquier área temática, desde clima hasta programación con Android, pasando por economía, ciencias del desarrollo, física e infinidad de materias.

What do you dislike?

La principal limitación actualmente es la poco o casi nula oferta de Certificados Gratuitos o Honor Code, dado que en América Latina a la mayoría de nosotros se nos hace costoso pagar por un certificado verificado.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Debe tomarse en cuenta que la oferta de cursos de EDX es realmente amplia, por ello en un primer momento el usuario puede ambicionar y enrolarse simultaneamente en una cantidad excesiva de cursos que probablemente no complete, por ello la principal recomendacón es elegir los cursos con la mayor precisión posible para sacarle el mayor provecho tanto a nivel personal como profesional.

Los cursos de EDX permiten la ampliación de conocimiento y la aplicación de nuevas herramientas, que pueden ser muy útiles a nivel educativo y para desarrollar investigaciones a nivel universitario.

edX review by User

"You want to be better? Use edX"

What do you like best?

Apart from the fact that there are various courses on offer on their online platform, the way in which the courses are structured makes them very easy to understand. There are courses from all over the world on offer on the platform. It fast becoming the best platform to learn online. The user profile page is brilliantly set up.

What do you dislike?

Cost of certification can be very prohibitive. They also do not offer some very useful, technical courses

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is the best online learning platform there is at the moment. If you still have doubts, you might want to give it a try

I have learned very important professional coures and gotten a few relevant certifications on edX. I love it

edX review by Michael B.
Michael B.

"Great Educational software that can be free"

What do you like best?

I like how you can audit courses and there is so much variety in subject matter.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when auditing, some courses severely limit what you get, notably quizzes that can be about half the class for some.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try auditing a course first, and if it seems good you can always pay partway through to get the complete class.

Improving skills that are used in work, so you can be a more productive employee.

edX review by Ilse D.
Ilse D.

"Free Professional Development with EdX"

What do you like best?

I love the self-paced modules on EdX, in a range of different subjects. Professional development opportunities can be somewhat limited in Higher Education, but EdX is a terrific way to explore different areas at no extra cost to the department. I've been able to continue my Spanish on my own time, learn additional skills through International Business courses, and even explore personal interests related to Human Rights - and I can do it on my lunch break! None of this would be possible without EdX!

What do you dislike?

I've found that I'm more able to do the courses that are self-paced. I would not be able to keep with a strict deadline, so I do not have access to some of the courses for that reason. Although ample, I sometimes wish there were more options for self-paced courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out - you have nothing to lose and so much to gain! I suggest trying a course that is not self-paced to see if you're able to meet the deadlines, but if not, the self-paced courses are perfect for slow periods, lunch breaks, and evenings. There are so many courses in so many different subjects, you will certainly gain a new set of skills!

Free professional development for a wide-range of subjects! I am someone who loves to learn, and have always advocated for professional development opportunities in previous roles; this often means additional resources for time-off, conference fees, and daily food reimbursements. EdX has served as a really great replacement to many of the learning opportunities I have wanted, and it has no effect on my departmental budget!

edX review by Jide O.
Jide O.

"For learning and development"

What do you like best?

Free courses mostly available on edx. You'll be asked to pay to get a=access to grade assessment and certificates though. Cuts across all fields. Easy to sign up forcourses

What do you dislike?

You still have to pay to get certificates for free courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX has the capabilities of delivering courses across all fields to you.

My main source of learning materials is edx. I have several courses I can easily opt-in for with affordable cost.

edX review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Great way to take classes for free and affordable fee for 'certification'"

What do you like best?

I love the quality and amount of classes offered. Everything that has been produced and published on edX have been interesting, well produced, and overall well executed on the side of the educators. There are lots of options for 'live classes', and you can always take 'dead classes' once they are over. The option to pay for certification is a great benefit.

What do you dislike?

It's too big. The interaction function is horrible with other students and the teacher and while it works and works well functionally, it doesn't serve any truly usefulness as a function of learning because there's too many people. It would be great to offer groups or pairing that would allow for better accountability.

It is great to have as a resource for additional training and professional development and great way to get ideas about course design and structure from many leading colleague universities.

edX review by User in Higher Education

"Free (or Cheap) Online Classes!"

What do you like best?

edX makes it easy for you and colleagues to take free (or nearly free if you want the certificate) to learn more about basically anything (courses from history to business management to even science/biology courses!). We love this software because many courses are self-pace or have a weekly routine pace that makes it easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

The biggest downfall about this site is that sometimes the courses are only available for certain dates. This makes it challenging if you or another colleague need or want to learn something quickly and urgently.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Overall this is a good site to expand your knowledge on subjects if you want some structure. The site had great instructors from great Universities around the country and the world.

This allows myself and colleagues to expand our knowledge on a vast majority of subjects. I have even taken courses that did not directly involve my work but I had clients interested in the subject and thus I was able to better converse and build rapport with those clients business of my newly gained knowledge.

edX review by Haince Denis P.
Haince Denis P.

"Best Courses from Top Universities"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I get access to the courses from best universities and companies in the world,

The courses are taught by world renowned scholars and industry professionals.

I get access to amazing course material and quizzes.

What do you dislike?

I believe in Individual feedback. edX should integrate the features for complete classroom experience for an individual. Although this seems to be a difficult talk, I would suggest the professors to recruit more teaching assistants or graders to do the job.

Also, regarding the pricing of certain certified courses, edX could provide scholarships or waivers to needy individuals by going through their legal documents and helping them out.

Regarding the due dates, I believe that due dates are important for quizzes and assignments, but can be painful for working professionals. I would suggests keeping deadlines for all the assignments at the end of the course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely like to recommend people to use edX, explore the courses and improve their skill sets. I have greatly advanced my knowledge and pursued courses from the domains that interest me, although being different from my field of study.

Definitely a great initiative by MIT.

I am working towards research in building a stable scalable data warehousing solution in big data realm. The courses from edX have definitely come in handy.

edX review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"Continuing Education"

What do you like best?

EdX offers a wide range of online education right at your fingertips. The courses that I have taken have been free with the option to pay $50 for a certificate. The courses are self paced and contain videos, transcripts, online discussions, and quizes.

What do you dislike?

The first course I took I struggled with the layout of how to utilize the site. I've now taken more and feel much more comfortable navigating. I would say initially edX wasn't super user friendly.

Increasing knowledge in areas that I am new too. For example, Project Management. EdX offers a course for people who are brand new to Project Management. I am learning new tools to bring to my employer and to my role at my current company.

edX review by User

"The Online Learning Platform above all Else"

What do you like best?

They offer relevant professional courses pertinent to my profession. The courses on edX are always well-structured. It is easy to learn use and easy to work with. Once enrolled for a course, one can decide to archive it or run the course in real-time. They also offer some free courses

What do you dislike?

No course is indeed free on edX because you most likely would still have to pay for certification.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is free for all. If you want

edX has helped my organization with a lot of paid professional courses. Instead of learning within the four walls of a classroom, edX brings it to you at your convenience

edX review by Anu P.
Anu P.

"Educate yourself easily with Edx"

What do you like best?

This is one of the best website for learning online, It consist of various professional courses you can enroll in. Its flexible payment allows you to audit a course before making payments to be sure if you would like to complete the course and also earn a certificate. It has a user friendly dashboard and a nice bookmarking features.

What do you dislike?

It works perfectly for me nothing to dislike about the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best learning platform for everyone.

So far, I have used some certificate I got from Edx as an added advantage to secure various deals.

edX review by Daniel D.
Daniel D.

"MOOCs are the future of education"

What do you like best?

I have used Coursera, EdX and Udemy. Coursera and EdX are superior in general because of the quality of the education materials and the professors.

What do you dislike?

I wish they always had reading options versus some that are very video heavy.

I think all should be continually signed up for some type of course either for pleasure, personal growth or professional advancement. Most social media and entertainment numbs the mind. The brain is like a muscle and continually needs to be exercised.

edX review by Thiago O.
Thiago O.

"Better than Coursera!"

What do you like best?

The fact that it has courses from the best universities in the world, and most of the content is free, is amazing!

What do you dislike?

I wish they had some free certificates as well. Since the currency of my country is not US dollars, the verified certificates are very expensive for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! It such an amazing website! I love the courses from MIT. But the other ones are great too!

I finished my degree in Engineering about an year ago, but after that I wanted to keep studying the latest technologies, and I didn't want to go back to university and do a masters degree.

Edx allows me to keep studying from home, and with courses from the best universities in the world!

edX review by Mario C.
Mario C.

"Learn about everything in edX"

What do you like best?

They have courses about lot of things, and you can do them even if you missed them. They have subtitles too, that help in case you don't understand well the language or you want to "watch" them with simply reading when going to sleep. Quizzes helps you to keep your attention in videos (and sometimes they are really challenging).

What do you dislike?

As an online learning platform, I would only say that it lacks some gamification to keep watching and learning and be more engaged when some material gets slow. Also, some videos are terribly long for the topic and some are a bit short. Maybe it's something subjective but sometimes I find myself watching a video that I can't finish in that moment. This doesn't happen so much in Coursera.

Quizzes, as I mention before, can be too challenging sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at their catalog, many courses are completely free if you don't want a certification. For people who simply like to learn, is awesome as you have access to a huge database of knowledge.

We have done the courses about functional programming with Haskell and the one of Big Data with Spark. Both are very well done and contains lot of material, videos are very long so you really get the idea of everything. After that, we have enrolled in many more (the new courses of Big Data for example) and of some more "personal" fields.

edX review by Nikhil S.
Nikhil S.

"Quality courses on almost any subject"

What do you like best?

I have done 3 courses from Edx and the experience has been great. Apart from being free, the courses cover the subject matter thoroughly and provide video lectures delivered by professors from some of the best universities in the world. You also get a certificate of completion at the end (for which you have to pay sometimes but is totally worth it) which can be a decent boost for your resume.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the no. of self placed courses are less. I have a busy schedule with regular classes and work, so self placed courses provide the much needed flexibility. Also i feel the no. of questions should be increased to develop understanding.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommended to anyone who cant afford to go to college but has the willingness to learn.

I am gaining knowledge from world best universities and boosting my resume from home. Benefits of such a quality online educator are unparalleled.

edX review by Precious E.
Precious E.

"The quality of the lessons was satisfactory"

What do you like best?

The qualitative approach used by the instructors. Brief and to the point. The exercises also helps to build a stronger understanding of the concepts covered in the lecture videos.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the quality of the exercises in some cases, which was much easier compared to the quality of exercises I've come across in online learning platforms like Coursera

Improve my programming skills and advance my career in AI/ML

edX review by Darshit P.
Darshit P.

"Great learning platform "

What do you like best?

It is best learning website providing various courses from all fields. Courses are well structured and faculties are explaining contents well. Subjects cover all important topics for learning

What do you dislike?

Courses are expensive. There are very less free courses. Some faculties' accent is not understandable. They should add more courses of new fields like machine learning

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend edx for those who wants to learn new concepts

We are learning some concepts for our project from edx. It is really helpful for our project

edX review by User in Higher Education

"Great selection of universities; solid knowledge"

What do you like best?

edX has the an impressive selection of universities on their database. In my area of expertise (Food & Nutrition; Biology & Life Science) there are courses from many prestigious universities, such as Cornell, Harvard, Rice and Michigan

What do you dislike?

Some Verified Certificate can be pretty expensive. The systems for taking quizzes is not very elaborated and I have had problems with it. Other websites give you the option to start the course at any time, this would be a nice improvement to see on edX courses.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. Online courses require time and commitment, but they are great for those wanting to know more about a specific topic, or go through a subject you already know. Only get the Certified Certificates if you really want to - I have never seen any companies/employers requiring them.

I use edX to get more knowledge in areas related to my research. I benefit from it because I get to know more about subjects in a very easy way. It is easier to take an online course than to read dozens of papers on the subject.

edX review by User in Higher Education

"Great Options for Online Education"

What do you like best?

EdX is a great way to either learn more (with courses offered in topics from wine regions of the world to human anatomy and calculus) and enhance skills or your knowledge-base or to share content created through a university. While not all universities participate in EdX, many top-name universities do. Most courses are available for free as a "reviewer" or for a fee that comes with a certificate of completion.

What do you dislike?

If you are not a self-driven learner. These courses can be difficult to complete, especially since many sign-up for the courses for free, there is no monetary loss for failure to complete the course. At times, there are faculty members overseeing the course (who can provide feedback or field questions) though in my experience, faculty members are often not very involved.

For students who want to either enhance a skill set or learn a bit more about a topic, EdX provides a great resource.

edX review by Brian N.
Brian N.

"Solid education platform"

What do you like best?

edX is a great source for learning some solid basics in topics such computer, math and science. The pacing is good and the content is well developed. I have enjoyed the courses taken and have learned a great deal from the content. I was challenged more than I thought I would be on a number of occasions.

The format is easy to use and has a very different feel than other online education sites, once you get use to the format it is very intuitive.

Though I have not done one yet I like that they are moving things into packages so you can develop the skills needed for a particular area.

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses do not have enough project or quiz development. I do wish that some of the topics went a bit further, that is slowly XSeries programs and others course offerings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pacing yourself if very important when taking the classes. Take time to read and get involved in the discussion fora. If you can afford the cost (not that high really) pay for the verified certificate. I would even suggest that you look into the program packages they have put together.

They are teaching some very solid basic computer skills that would help fill in gaps existent in your staff. While they are mostly basic level courses it will allow people to develop the needed understanding to develop further down the road.

edX review by ArJuN A.
ArJuN A.

"edX is another name for MOOC"

What do you like best?

EdX can open doors for anyone who wants to learn. My dream is to reach a million youth around the world and share with them the advanced learning opportunities edX courses provide. EdX can open doors for anyone who wants to learn, with basic access to the Internet.

What do you dislike?

Nothing Such, but the platform can be improved a bit from non responsive to responsive with bootstrap. and other thing is like the support u guys can increase. the assignments to be improved as well

Recommendations to others considering the product

My goals in taking this course were not only to help advance myself in the Cooke Young Scholars application, but also to learn more about programming and Scratch. This course definitely helped my application, but it was also helpful later as I’ve done a bit of programming with Scratch, and now better understand how computer programming works.

As for new edX students, my advice is this: The point is not for it to be easy. But, it can be fun. So, be sure to have plenty of time set aside for it (don’t procrastinate!), enjoy it, and learn as much as you can.

EdX couses gave me the knowledge i needed to advance my career, as well as the confidence boost i needed to get back into formal education. EdX has done a good job on the accommodations that are needed... it's just easy, straightforward, so no problems at all. Very accessible - it's impressive in fact

edX review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to navigate, great service"

What do you like best?

Simple layout, lots of support from a large community, good reputation as a course hosting site. Large enough that bugs have been largely worked out.

What do you dislike?

Many of the features like discussions of courses and syllabi are hosted offsite, unlike Blackboard which keeps them all in one place. More work for an instructor and makes things generally a bit less streamlined than they could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Good widely use platform. Consider issues with hosting some features off site

Great tool for skills building- I used this to take CS50 and learning basic coding skills in an efficient, fun way. Generally a very useful and accessible educational tool

edX review by Messias U.
Messias U.

"The finest MOOCs open to the world!"

What do you like best?

edX has many high quality courses. I learned a great deal of things. The platform is smooth, easy to use.

What do you dislike?

If one does not pay has no certificate. edX should consider that there are people without credit cards but deserve excellent education.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

edX is a disruption from the traditional way education has been delivered. At edX one learns that the school is at fingertips MOOCs and for-credit courses are of high quality edX is introducing micro masters courses worth following! I have choosen edX. Choose edX or fail your objectives.

I learned many things through edX: English, business, computing.

edX review by Lenora N.
Lenora N.

"I love edx"

What do you like best?

It is great to have access to free college courses from Universities around the world. The classes are of excellent quality. I like getting a certificate of completion for the free class. The video lectures are great and very helpful and educational.

Has the best instructors.

What do you dislike?

I do not like having past classes, current classes, and future classes all on the same page. I take a lot of classes and have to hunt for current ones. Sometimes I miss a start date because they are so mixed up together. Cousera has separate pages for each category.

This would be a BIG improvement

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Edx is easy to use. One of the best LMS on the market.. It is well organized as far as each individual class is concerned and the platform is the same from class to class.

It can get confusing if many classes have been take because it doesn't separate past, present and future classes.

This is the ONLY complaint I have about EdX.

Another excellent feature is the progress link/tab. This allows the student to see exactly how they are doing in the class, It contains a line to show the minimal passing grade and the student can easily see where they staand in the class.

I teach a health class and in addition to taking classes I find interesting, I take classes to improve my knowledge in the different areas of health.

edX review by Andre D.
Andre D.

"A fantastically wide variety of topics provided in a distance learning format for free. "

What do you like best?

First of all, if you're only interested in auditing the class, you can participate for free. Second, the class is not just a bunch of taped lectures. There's a full on community to get hep from, exercises to cement your learning and staff and learning assistants to help when you get into trouble. A class act all the way. Oh, and if you need this training for work, you can get a 'verified certificate', to prove that you completed the course yourself, for an extremely reasonable price. And, finally, the shear number of available classes and their widely varied topics is enough to keep you learning for a very long time.

What do you dislike?

About the only thing that I find distasteful is that, every now and then, I get a marketing e-mail, selling a book or some other 'related' course, from those who put the course together. That doesn't happen often, but it does. Would like the opportunity to opt out of marketing type communications.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! If for no other reason than to keep your mind active. There are so many topics available, you'll never get bored. Just keep in mind that to fully participate, you should keep your 'course load' manageable. 1 or two courses on the go at any one time, unless you have a lot of free time. The recommended time frames required by the course are pretty accurate until you get bogged down, then it's easy to get discouraged.

I'm a business analyst who deals with 'big data' and, as such, I am constantly on the lookout for ways to improve my abilities in analyzing and presenting such data. One of my first courses included an introduction to R, an open source program for just such data analysis. Impressed the heck out of my boss, and I've been able to use this new skill to increase my worth to my company. I've also taken a course on financial accounting, which was completely in the Chinese language, which I don't understand, but I found quite informative and helps me converse better with my financial colleagues at work.

edX review by Trevor A.
Trevor A.

"A great and free platform for online learning."

What do you like best?

The breadth and depth of course offerings and the free price.

What do you dislike?

The interface can take a little adjustment period. It is not always clear if you are appropriately prepared for a particular course.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The courses often take a little more time to complete than the recommended amount of time.

Free training in specific areas such as accessibility and data analysis.

Learning about edX?

* We monitor all edX reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.