DaVinci Resolve Reviews & Product Details

DaVinci Resolve Overview

What is DaVinci Resolve?

DaVinci Resolve 12 combines professional non-linear video editing with an advanced color corrector so now you can edit, color correct, finish and deliver all from one system!

DaVinci Resolve Details

Blackmagic Design
Melbourne, Australia
@Blackmagic_News

DaVinci Resolve Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the DaVinci Resolve community
Have you used DaVinci Resolve before?

DaVinci Resolve Reviews

Showing 96 DaVinci Resolve reviews
Already have DaVinci Resolve?
Coordinador de Contenidos
Founder | Lead Chaplain
Assistant Professor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

It has all the cool features of high end video applications, but at a fraction of the cost. Integrates with all Black Magic hardware. Tons of online tutorials both by Black Magic as well as user-base. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The flexibility of the application has a logical counterpart: steep learning curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Understand the concepts and jargon of video editing first. I was not a videography expert, had some basic knowledge but knew what I needed to be able to to. DaVinci Resolve has all the features I needed and then some. In the end I started using more and more of the features and my creativity exploded. I'd recommend perusing the user-base and community tutorials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are not into videography as our core-business. We needed, however, a tool to create instructional videos, both using screen recordings, screen captures as well as filmed speakers. Budget was tight, but with DaVinci Resolve we pulled it off. Been running it on Windows and Linux and soon will be running it on Mac. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Exec. Producer
What do you like best?

The chroma key feature works well. If there weren't so many enraging bugs, this could easily be a 5 star. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are several bugs but I'll mainly focus on this one in particular. My computer has no spec issues, and runs every single other video editing software in existence with perfect precision and speed. Davinci Resolve, on the other hand, crashes and closes the window out of absolutely nowhere for no reason, deleting all of the hours of work that I did since the last point that I saved. Sometimes it will even close while exporting a video, abandoning the rendering process altogether so that I have to start the export all over again. This has caused me to completely quit on projects that I've been working on because hours and hours of painstaking work has been randomly deleted for no reason because Davinci Resolve just decides to die out of nowhere. Enfuriating. No other video software does this so it's clearly a fixable issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None of my issues have been solved. The only benefit is full HD video exporting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like whole of the softare as it fullfils my requirements. its fusion tab is just amazing as we can actually do anyhing over there and it has video properties editng feature as well which completes it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

bit diificult to learn, bit fuzzy as it has lots of feature very versatile software. took a long time to learn this but at last i was satisfied with it. It has many tutorials on the youtube which helped me a lot as learning it from scratch without any help from seniors or others. but at last it is good and can compete with adobe premier pro as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

its good for making and merging videos, great for everything as far as my requirements as i am a daily user so i can say that it is all one needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Well, it's free for the base version so you can try it out. And for most people, that by itself is enough to get by! But if you needed to make some high resolution festival content, the lifetime license is super affordable. It includes audio mastering, an excellent (cinema grade) color grading suite, special effects, and professional level non-linear editing all in one piece of software.

So three to four Adobe Creative Cloud programs built into one! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

...but the software can be unstable and unusable on lower-end computers, it is quite different than the layout and basic workflow of Adobe's Creative Cloud software, and you have to export your content inside of Resolve (where Adobe CC has Media Encoder as an option, and can be run while Premiere or other programs are closed).

Really, the Media Encoder is the only thing I'm missing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Grab a tutorial and take your time, especially if you're switching from Adobe Creative Cloud. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This is saving me over $600 per year for the Adobe and related subscription fees for other software. Plus, I can use one program instead of having to bounce between three or four. Plus, now I don't need to pay for the software for people to help me with editing and content creation - they can get a copy of the software for free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This software allows the editing of video in high definition resolution such as 4K and 8K, it also has multiple very complete color design tools, or animation, it also allows us to add multiple effects already predefined by the program, in the same way we can do jobs in a group in collaboration with different assistants on the same project, which allows us to do really professional work in the shortest possible time but above all with a higher quality, in which we can add and modify different variants of the timeline as cuts, adjustments, presentations, animations, transitions and combinations, it also allows the realization and editing of immersive audio on the videos, other tools it has is that it allows exporting the final works in high quality encodings and compressions allowing an adequate acceleration of the system of graphics we work on Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like the program to have even more options for audio editing, even with more effects and distortions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When we proceed to the final export of the project, we can lower the weight of the file a lot but not the quality if we properly configure the type of compression and encoding we want, this can be very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When we work with this program, they give us projects that we have many times to carry out from one day to the next, and this is where we can get the most out of it since this software allows team collaboration on the same video, as well as a diagram and list of Predefined work we proceed to the edition, where each person in our work team is in charge of a specific project, many times someone is in charge of the imports, others of the design, someone else of coloring and another person is in charge of the effects, And this is how on the timeline we are making cuts, editions, combinations, and insertions of more files to finally proceed to render for different types of mobile devices where we want to present our videos Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Film Maker
What do you like best?

If you're reading this review then you know that Resolve is the industry standard for color grading. However, the newer editing and VFX as well as sound features are second to none with regards to workflow. No more roundtripping to 5 different applications. The editing portion of DaVinci Resolve is extremely smooth, bug free and fully featured. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have yet to find any major flaws. I ditched Premiere Pro for Resolve and I'll never look back. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure a high quality GPU and a fast computer. Resolve Studio will handle 8K video and beyond. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I just finished cutting a feature film in Resolve. I was able to do it much faster compared to doing it in premiere. Fast to sync audio, organize clips as well as timeline functions make it stand out from premiere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

The best part of Davinci Resolve is the Clutter-free UI and easy import and export options. Other than that, the easy edit options, fusion controls and color correction options are easy accessible and perfect. With minimal teaching, one can easily make videos with the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The awful part is the compatibility issues and time it takes to render out videos on low end computers. Though it can be corrected by using high end processors and graphic card powered systems, core changes in rendering options to make it compatible on all pcs with minimal graphic requirements would be great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a starter and would like to explore the best part of video editing and color grading, you must try Davinci resolve. It's highly recommended for color grading and post production part. Speaking as a ardent user, I would say that outputs it gave me are outstanding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Davinci Resolve, I fulfilled my editing needs and color correction demands. I used to cut and blend shots with davinci resolve. Sometimes, I used color correction modules to enhance video colors and colorize raw footages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director Of Photography
What do you like best?

Black Magic has emphasized the editing and audio aspects of DaVinci Resolve in its latest versions, making it possible now to execute the entire post production process for a film in Resolve. Rather than being an NLE with audio editing functions, Resolve functions more like an operating system that hosts several applications. The audio workstation page has matured dramatically, and the new Cut page provides an alternate editing application designed to be quick and efficient, while the Fusion page provides a robust toolset for compositing. Support for the newest version of BorisFX' Moch Pro and Silhouette paint are welcome additions, bringing some exceptional paint tools to Resolve. There are some bugs in compatibility with those plugins still, but hopefully those will be address in short order. Translating edits from Resolve to other even higher end color grading applications like Scratch and Mistika works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Resolve still requires a fairly powerful computer to run optimally, but it's gotten a lot more efficient in recent years. That said, it does make good use of that hardware, making this less of a down side and more of a wash. The biggest con still is support for interchange with the industry standard for audio post production, ProTools. There are still some issues with this, and while the integrated Fairlight page is very good, most professional sound designers use ProTools, so that interchange support is still critical. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Resolve's roots as a color grading system optimized for a dedicated control surface shows in the unusual layout for its entire toolset. Rather than being geared around maximum flexibility, it's designed to be efficient and user friendly, so it seems quite odd at times for those coming from other applications such as Premiere. However, very few who take the time to learn to use Resolve return to their previous software of choice for a reason. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using Resolve as my primary non-linear editor and digital audio workstation. It's also an excellent conforming tool, making the process of getting an edit prepared for finishing in software like Mistika and Scratch easy also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

it is good for editing and i love it. its fusion tab amaze me cause it's features are awsome and it can be used to make anything we imagine of. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing as much but it doesen't have many tutorials and kinda booring from the creators. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

daily problems of my video making for my gaming industries and other stuff like this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

Universal approach. Several years ago i was looking for simple and stabile solution for all my needs regarding film/video editing. Which includes solutions for still frame editing, simple import, simple export, recognition of different files and codecs, etc. Before DaVinci Resolve i was using several programs which are often not compatible with themselves, and usually you are forced to render on every step and re import and re export every time when you need to add something which is not possible (or not good enough) in your basic editing program. I thought that that kind of universal combine-harvester solution is not possible. But now, i am AVID (pun intended) user of Resolve :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Everything important is really good. What i can say negative if almost everything is working fine? I will prefer of course, to have faster computer or to edit sending brain waves to editing program, but this is, at least for now not possible. Everything else works just fine, and as next versions are available, even small elements are corrected and improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a must software solution for everyone who works in film/tv/media/broadcast business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All problems connected with editing, rendering, color correction (grading), video files conversion, frame rate conversions etc. Basically everything a person connected with film/video/tv business needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Team Lead - Digital Learning
What do you like best?

Wow, were to start? We frequently create short videos of teachers talking at the front of classrooms, feedback from learners or promotional stuff. In the past we've had to make do with whatever rubbish Microsoft supplied due to our corporate contracts. It was possible to pay for the Adobe range but, as this has moved to a pay per month option it simply din't make sense.

When we took on a larger project and had to produce something reasonably professional it was time to look at other solutions. We did look at a few products which are used in industry (around the £1000 price range) but found that these were much too heavy weight for what we wanted.

Then I remembered about Resolve. Wow, has it improved, it matches the ease of use of Adobe (I'd say it was actually easier to learn from basically a standing start) and the completeness of a professional package.

Whats great though is you don't need to understand every module, Davinci does a great job of hiding away stuff you don't need. I found it super quick to do basic edits but also very easy to dig in for more complicated stuff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Well, it's not as popular as Premiere so you won't get as many plug ins etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Well, it's cheap and fast mainly. I've also found it pretty easy to add decent titles and play with audio filters to reduce noise. I'm by no means a pro user but I did complete a 6 minute edit in about an hour having never touched the software before. Very straightforward. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I really enjoy using the Edit tab to cut a video down and see it sync up the timeline creating a seemless video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is so much on screen I wish there was more customization in what you could hide and expand. I always want the video preview bigger and the timeline smaller for instance, but it's locked to a certain point. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When looking for a video editing app consider Resolve before dropping cash on other solutions, you will be pleasantly surprised.

This app is used by industry pros which gave me even more confidence in trying it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's great having quick access to audio noise reduction effects, video transitions and layering on top of just editing a videos length or splicing videos together. It all works very seemlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Filmmaker
What do you like best?

It's the most developed and professional app for color-grading, however if you're a filmmaker or a professional editor for cinema. It's way better than colorgrading on Adobe Premiere Pro, because there's way more tools, settings and possibilities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's kind of hard to use and understand, you have to take some lesson, or to watch some tuto on youtube to fully understand how it work. It's really not like Premiere Pro. Sometimes, for big projects like an advertising or for a music video, I work with a real editor/colorist on DaVinci Resolve because she knows it very well, even better than me, and I really need someone who's an expert on Davinci Resolve for this kind of huge project! But it's nice, because that mean it's a real professional app. Learn it, and your films will be really different and look way more professional ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to upgrade your work as a filmmaker or film company, you better use DaVinci Resolve for a more professional and cinematic look for your video. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's the best colorgrading app, and it give to my films a real cinematic look if it's color graded properly!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Studio Artist
Music
What do you like best?

Its extremely precise and usable software - you can get professional looking work quickly and with not much learning curve. Its free and that version contains most things you'll need. The paid version is better, but not so much better as to make the free version useless. The free version is generous and adequate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the nitty gritty can be occasionally clunky. I use dip-to-color fade often and sometimes, apparently out of the blue, it will refuse to add the fade to both clips i want to fade together and opt for one or neither. This isn't all the time and its fixable, but no user interface is without flaws!

I also did not care for the manner in which you have to get the free version. After downloading you have to create an account (fair enough) but then you are required to like the company on social media and make a post.... It is true enough that you can delete the post after and also that, as prices for very good software go, this is a fairly low one. But it might have been a little more tactful to have been asked rather than required, or even 'strongly encouraged!' Anyway, the software itself is worth this small effort - but it does not belong in the pros column! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it! Its very well done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This software is my video editing solution. I'm trying to produce professional looking work with zero budget and i literally couldn't do it without this program. I'm glad its here. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Responsabile web marketing
What do you like best?

Best-in-class color correction utilities

Good editing features

Good Audio-Editing features

VFX features

Price Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not fully supported on Linux

Really resource heavy even for a basic editing

The interface is not customizable Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good software, all-in-one solution, very good for Content Marketing companies with very small team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Da Vinci Resolve is a very top-noth all-in-one editing software.

I switched to Resolve from Premiere, and I'm very happy of it.

It's a very powerfull tool for editing (expecialy in the last version, with the "cut" page) and colo correction/grading, and I really appreciarte that blackmagic is trying to do a all-in-one solution.

But there are some problems that make it not so good as a all-in-one:

the audio support for some professional audio interface is not so good (I have an old firewire audio-card, fully supported on Windows, but not supported so weel on Da Vinci).

The "edit" and the new "cut" pages are great but i would prefer to have only one page, with the possibility to choose the layot, in order to not to make a mess in the interface.

The interface is good and fashion to look.. but I really would prefer a customizabile one, like Premiere's one (I have a dual monitor with an ultrawide monitor, and I want to be able to customize the interface as I want).

The fairlight page is very good and powerfull, but the interface is very messy... the way the sotware let you to edit the audio (for example work on a VST) is graphically too comicated; I Would prefer a more classic style, like Cubase, or Reaper.

The performance are very good, all the software is really faster then premiere on the same PC, and the GPU accelleration is very excellent.

It permit you to work on a entire project without problems, when Premiere crashes.

The software is very professionist-oriented, and it's very stable, but I would like a bit more personalizzation.

I would like also a sort of "dynamic link" with a graphic software such as Photoshop or Affinity Photo or Designer.

The setup is not really simple, you have to manually set-up the color space, the nits of your monitor ecc... It's not so good if you came from Premiere or Final cut Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Accounts Payable Specialist (Temp)
What do you like best?

Once you understand the basic tools (trimming, lighting, speed, frame positioning, etc) this can be a very useful tool for any video editing project you may undertake Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While the capabilities of the software are vast, learning how to use it is not very intuitive. This is not a software for beginners. YouTube is your best learning resource, which has it's pros and cons Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The capabilities of this software are vast. Use it if you are serious about making a quality product for yourself or your organization. It will take time to learn, but it is well worth the effort Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been able to produce great videos with a professional editing aesthetic without having any prior training in the field of video editing. If you dive in head first with an open mind to learning something new, you can develop a valuable skillset for yourself that can benefit you both professionally and personally Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I’ve used two of the other popular editing platforms for my video production company and I can easily say Davinci Resolve is by far the best! The color grading side of this platform is so powerful. I can get the look and feel I want way faster than when using the other editing platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I’ve had a few big crashes while working on a project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Watch a lot of YouTube videos on how to use the software. You won’t regret it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I shoot mainly in ProRes and this software blazes through that footage which makes my editing workflow way more efficient! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

a software with impressive qualities to be free. The best software in the world for professional color correction Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

has a very steep learning curve. It is not premiere, it takes time to be able to manage all its features well. If you don't feel like studying it, look elsewhere Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

study it well Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

with the function of the masks and the many features, it has turned my color correction Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Customer Marketing Manager
What do you like best?

DaVinci Resolve is the most comprehensive video post-production app available. I love how it integrates a terrific editor, compositing and effects package, and audio editor along with its industry-leading color correction tool. I've worked with a lot of other post-production suites, and the improvements made in the last few versions of Resolve easily match other top solutions. Best of all, the free version offers most of the functionality of the paid version, so you can try it out for yourself. Also, I appreciate that the pricing is not a subscription-based model. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface is pretty packed. This is a professional suite, so amateur users or people who want to make quick videos may be better served by something simpler. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a very comprehensive product but it has a steep learning curve, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with other professional non-linear editing software. Familiarize yourself with online Resolve communities for some great training materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a solution to create marketing videos, and having such a well-integrated suite for a low price has been great. I could always do small spot work with iMovie, but I hit the ceiling of what that program was capable of pretty quickly. Now I can create professional looking videos with great sound. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The UI and the colour grading tools in DaVinci Resolve are second to none to a degree, while I do use premiere pro over Resolve, I cannot fault the UI of resolve, its a clean simple to understand UI (If you have used professional video editing software before) I had no trouble adding this to the list of softwares I used to create video content, and the colour grading tools are amazing, I prefer to use this over Lumetri within Premiere Pro and After Effects, cannot put my finger on why, but I always manage to get better results from RAW footage when using Resolve, this might be a backend thing, but if you have any RAW footage and your moving onto the grading stage of post production I would highly reccomend Resolve over everything that I have used in the past. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isnt too much to dislike, I mention how this isnt my main editing software and that isnt to the fault of Resolve, its mainly down to adobe's dominance of the industry, they have alot of software that I use, after effects, photoshop, illustrator, premiere pro, I use premiere over resolve not because premiere is better, but simply because alot of the time it's just easier to remain in the adobe eco space, when dealing with multiple projects at a time, while I said resolve does for some reason allow me to have more polished grades, the difference isnt striking, so alot of the time I just take the hit on a slightly lesser polished grade for the sake of remaining on time. Again I dont have issues with resolve, but more so the position its in. This position has caused me to essentially abandon the software as it doesnt fill enough of a gap for me to warrant the cosistent use of it, I used the software for around 2 months and I admit it was great, but I have yet to install it on my new PC since that one time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you can spare the time to swap inbetween different eco systems of softwares within post production then Resolve is an amazing software for you, its consistency with colour grading is easily the biggest sell for me, but again I do remain hesistant to re-install the software and move from adobe to resolve constantly for the sake of videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Grading long form content that I have to remain on for a while I do use this for grading, as I find it much easier to create a consistent grade along long form content over other softwares, but these projects are so few and far between that I simply do not call myself a user and dont even bother installing it on my devices anymore. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

US
What do you like best?

The video editing software looks professional in every aspect, though it is free in his basic version. Probably his best feature his the color correction section, which is difficult to find on other free softwares. It is characterized by a great variety of effects and transitions on videos and audio. I even appreciate the deliver section, where you can export your videos in different formats and codecs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not so easy to use for a beginner, but in 7/10 days it is possibile to learn the main functions and then improve day after day. The video stabilization is great but it’s quite tough to handle at the beginning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DaVinci Resolve allowed me to edit professional videos, mostly recorded with action cameras. The color correction section improved my experience in relation to the one I had with other softwares. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.