Abacus

Abacus

Real-time employee expense management & reimbursement

Work for Abacus?

Learning about Abacus?

Abacus Reviews

Ask Abacus a Question
Showing 951 Abacus reviews
Abacus review by Diego  G.
Diego G.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Abacus
Abacus review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Excellent, easy-to-use product"

What do you like best?

Abacus' interface is by far the best of any expense reporting tool I've used, both for users and for administrators. Another great feature is how seamless it is to code both reimbursable and corporate card expenses in the same interface, and have everything flow perfectly into our accounting system (Intacct).

I first implemented Abacus while CFO of a fast-growing startup to manage high-volumes of travel expenses and implement needed controls. When I moved to become CFO of a larger company that was using one of the most popular expense reporting software tools but was dealing with significant manual processes, mistakes, and a poor employee experience, I immediately put in Abacus, which completely relieved all the issues we had. Many employees have gone out of their way to thank me for providing them with an easy-to-use tool, which is truly something to be said for something as mundane as an expense reporting tool.

What do you dislike?

Abacus could be much better at handling international employee reimbursement, where ACH is not possible. Although I do not expect the system to automatically transfer funds to international accounts, the way the system handles currency conversion doesn't always work as expected, and there is not a good workflow to manage those manual payments. My account manager mentioned that Abacus is actively working on this, and I look forward to seeing the results.

Another missing feature that I hope will be added in the future is automatic GSA per diem calculations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I often tell people that Abacus is my favorite piece of financial operations software. I wish more systems would be like this. If it meets your requirements, you can't do better than Abacus.

Prior to Abacus, my company was using multiple different systems for various purposes. My company would try to avoid using the most robust system we had because we had to pay by the expense report. With Abacus, I can load all my users into the system and they can submit expenses at any time, and I don't have to worry about extra charges. My ultimate goal was to get accurate data about my expenses and have them flow directly into my accounting system. The most important factor in making that a reality is making the system easy for my employees so that expense reports aren't a chore for them, and Abacus certainly accomplishes that.

What Expense Management solution do you use?

Abacus review by Amar S.
Amar S.

"Good experience using Abacus"

What do you like best?

It's easy and user-friendly. It helps me to submit my expenses. I would recommend Abacus to others. It's a great tool and keeps your expenses in order. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus to others. It's very east and user-friendly. I think Abacus is doing well. I would recommend it to other. I don't see any negative features in Abacus. I use the software everyday and it's great. It has helped me solve my receipt keeping and puts things in order.

They do my expenses and receipt submissions. It's very easy to keep track of my receipts and submissions. It's very east to get reimbursed.

Abacus review by Justin E.
Justin E.

"review for Abacus"

What do you like best?

I like the ease in which I am able to file my expenses from work . There are times when I have to keep track of the budget, and the Abacus app lets me easily check on my past expenses even though they are already filed.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes the application glitches and shows that I have un-filed expenses when in reality I do not. There are a couple of other bugs that have been fixed, but I appreciate the responsiveness of Abacus so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to learn everything about the app before diving straight into it. All it takes is 5 minutes

I am able to track my spending with Abacus and determine whether or not I am under or over budget. Some benefits that I have realized are the accessibility of having an app version available for phones.

Abacus review by Sarah F.
Sarah F.

"Responsive Customer Service, Adequate Product"

What do you like best?

UX is straight-forward and flexible for our needs. The customer service reps are great - knowledgeable and responsive.

What do you dislike?

We have intermittent issues with AMEX such as duplicate and missing transactions. It seems to be AMEX's problem with all similar services, though; not an Abacus-specific problem. Abacus speaks with the data providers directly to resolve the issues - sometimes this takes weeks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Teh Salesforce integration was too expensive for us. It is not too difficult for us to manually input our campaigns, but if you have a ton, you may find this tedious and will need the integration.

It's much easier for the admin to follow up with our salespeople regarding specific transactions, or to hound them to submit receipts (we used a spreadsheet method previously). Also, with the ability to add accounts and campaigns from salesforce into Abacus directly, the inputs are normalized, and we don't have to search for a match.

From the salesperson's POV, they like Abacus way better than the spreadsheets; they can submit receipts throughout the month, instead of waiting to do all at once, getting in the way of other tasks.

Abacus review by Heidi E.
Heidi E.

"Works like Magic and 5 start customer service to boot!"

What do you like best?

The QB sync is great! Love that we can use our corporate cards assigning different cards to different users. Makes my life so much easier!! Love the direct deposit for personal expenses

Best part is the quick and super helpful customer service.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could sub categorize my custom fields, especially the one that links to my classes.

I wish we could add different company QB files to same Abacus account

I also wish we could track hours with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO IT!

We use it primarily for our maintenance team to track their expenses on the credit card and bill it to the appropriate entity. We used to use other software or excel sheets, but then we were doing double work with the employee entering info in one place and me entering info in another place.

Abacus review by Justin H.
Justin H.

"Seamless "

What do you like best?

abacus is so easy to expense on-the-go using their user-friendly app is game changer. I can easily expense items minutes, even seconds after receiving my receipt. i also love how quickly my expenses are approved and my bank account is reimbursed with 2-3 days. Love this product.

What do you dislike?

It's hard for me to say I dislike anything about Abacus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

USE ABACUS if you want an easy and seamless experiences

I no longer submit my expenses late or without receipts because of the mobile app. I'm able to take a picture of the receipt instantaneously using the app and submit the expense within 2 minutes of the purchase. I no longer have folders of receipts piling up or my boss asking where my expense reports are.

Abacus review by Nina A.
Nina A.

"Abacus App Review"

What do you like best?

I love that I can use the app on my smartphone and easily log expenses. It is straightforward and easy to take a picture of a receipt to attach to an expense report. The app is very well synced with the web version of Abacus, which also makes it much easier to switch back and forth between phone and computer.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the app will act up and I will get notifications for expenses that I've already completed. There has been one case of a duplicate expense appearing, and one of my expenses complete disappeared.

It is great that my boss can send back a report with comments, so it streamlines the expensing process and aids in communication between various departments.

Abacus review by Kajol B.
Kajol B.

"Great expense software! Makes receipt keeping easier. "

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can see what exactly is happening with my expenses and when they are put back into my account in real-time, and who it needs to be approved by. It's really important because without, expenses could be lost in accounting.

What do you dislike?

It should be faster, the transfer back to bank can take up to 4 days when it could be faster, but not that big of a deal. Also, the categories drop list is not completely updated and doesn't include certain necessary options so sometimes that can get difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely useful especially for smaller companies with less finance personnel.

Expense watching and documentation. With old paper receipts, it's hard to keep track, especially in smaller companies.

Abacus review by maguil v.
maguil v.

" abacus is very useful"

What do you like best?

abacus es facil y flexible para las necesidades. Los representantes de servicio al cliente son muy buenos: con excelente informacion y receptivos. spend in Abacus is very easy due to the ability to drag images to the platform and a small amount of details that are required in relation to expenses, The mobile application is very fast and simple to scan receipts in the phones immediately (for example, in the mall, the airport) and is very simple to use.

What do you dislike?

Me gustaría poder elegir mis campos personalizados, especialmente el que se une con mis clases.

Ojalá pudiéramos intregar diferentes archivos QB de la empresa a una misma cuenta de Abacus

También me gustaría que se pueda rastrear las horas con el software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that this is a very new product that is going through changes regularly. The staff keeps users updated on interruptions and the like on their blog, which is very useful, and the support team responds quickly. It is easy to bother with the failure that presents, but in general, all the benefits outweigh the pain.

I no longer get my expenses late or without receipts thanks to the mobile application. I can take a photo of the receipt instantly using the application and send the expense within 3 minutes of a purchase. I no longer have the accumulated receipt folders or if my boss asks me where my expense reports are.

Abacus review by Kristina M.
Kristina M.

"Makes Expense reporting Easy! "

What do you like best?

How easy receipt upload is. All of my frequently visited spots are saved and makes completing the report a total breeze! At past companies, it would take me at least an hour to complete an expense report after a weeklong trip, but with Abacus, I am able to do it in 10 minutes. Total time saver!

What do you dislike?

Nothing - literally. I rarely right reviews, but I had to come on to review because expenses are so easy to file and save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Literally makes expense reporting a breeze! So straight forward and easy to use.

I just use abacus for expense reporting, I travel fairly frequently and it is such a time saver. So easy to use!

Abacus review by Angela E.
Angela E.

"I love Abacus!"

What do you like best?

I love the UI and how quick the support team responds to concerns.

What do you dislike?

It's a little frustrating to deal with strange glitches and bugs

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that this is a fairly new product that's going through changes regularly. The staff keeps users updated about outages and the like on their blog which is useful, and the support team responds quickly. It's easy to get frustrated with the occasional glitch, but overall, the benefits outweigh the pains.

It's great for easy processing of user expenses and the comprehensive filters are great for sorting things and finding exactly what I need. It helps us reimburse our employees quicker and its integration with Netsuite makes monitoring all of this so much easier.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is for me to log my mileage for reimbursement. I can just enter a starting point and destination and it will automatically calculate the mileage and reimbursement for that trip.

I love how Abacus has an app and the app is so user friendly.

I like how easy it if to split receipts between reimbursable and non-reimbursable expenses.

I also love how easily the reimbursement gets deposited in your account.

I also like how the app suggests expenses on your credit card for reimbursement and has the ability to group expenses from a specific trip.

I like how clear the reimbursement is on your credit card statement.

What do you dislike?

I don't understand if I can just chose credit card items for reimbursement or need the receipts. I wish it was a little clearer in that regard.

We have to use two softwares for expenses and reimbursements. We have to use a second software for regular purchases in the office and it would be more convenient if abacus could cover both of these.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Abacus makes it easy for employees to submit receipts and log driving miles. I would recommend it.

Abacus helps people easily and QUICKLY log their reimbursable expenses. It saves company time and employee headaches.

Abacus review by Ben H.
Ben H.

"Easy to use expense system. "

What do you like best?

Abacus UI is amazingly natural and simple to utilize. Contrasted with the Concur framework, expensing on Abacus is a breeze in light of the capacity to drag pictures into the stage, and the little measure of subtleties that are required identifying with one cost. What's far and away superior is that you can transfer costs straightforwardly from your telephone through the versatile application. This makes it much harder to neglect to present a cost since you can do as such when you get the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should demonstrate a total measure of costs exceptional quickly on the landing page. They ought to likewise demonstrate the measure of assets that have just been endorsed and are headed, just as the normal store date. The classes of costs seem, by all accounts, to be restricted - clients ought to probably propose their very own to heads here and there.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Math device is genuinely a fantastic item. Both as a site and as an application, the interfaces are instinctive, simple to explore and coherent. On the off chance that one knows about internet shopping and essential individual record-keeping, the Abacus stage will appear to be normal with a fast expectation to absorb information.

I would prescribe Abacus to any private venture. Having worked at an extensive organization before coming here, the cost report framework was grievous and individuals were reprobate is submitting shapes for repayment. Math device has makes costs simple to process, and gives no reasons to individuals not to present their reports.

The framework has effectively settled the issue of submitting costs. Since the stage is so consistent and simple to utilize, it has enhanced the bookkeeping technique that is utilized for costs. Moreover, in light of the fact that the majority of the costs must be classified it is anything but difficult to see where the most noteworthy uses are going on. This has additionally made repayments back to representatives significantly quicker also.

Finishing my very own cost reports proficiently, quickly and precisely.

Understanding the equivalent from my immediate reports.

Supporting my association in guaranteeing that cost detailing is done consistently and precisely.

Being repaid rapidly, particularly for expansive costs.

At long last, empowering me to have more noteworthy perceivability in the costs of my reports to guarantee that we hold fast to our financial plan and spend our assets shrewdly.

Abacus review by User

"I Hate Submitting Expenses"

What do you like best?

I hate submitting expenses, but Abacus recognizes that most people hate it, too, and has made entering them as easy as I've ever seen. Simple receipt capture and uploads (especially on mobile), remembering and suggesting entries based on my previous expenses, and simply not forcing me to try to stuff my expenses into categories that aren't intuitive are what I like best.

What do you dislike?

I'll always hate submitting expenses. Until Abacus does every little part of it for me, I'm not sure there is much that I dislike. It actually isn't all that far off from doing it all for me now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My impression in speaking with users of other products is that this is really one of the top 2 platforms.

Using Abacus emphasizes the great benefits we have and the visibility and ease of accessing those benefits offsets a lot of other challenges employees face regularly in their jobs.

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"All around, can't imagine a better expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus is somehow both extremely easy to use, while still being very detailed. You can create a multitude of tags, categories, sub categories, you name it, and all are very easy to navigate through their interface. The system feels very sleek as well; for a finance/expense application, one doesn't expect to see something so aesthetically pleasing. Generally speaking, I have never had an issue using Abacus, I've never really needed to try out their tech support since it is so user-friendly, and I really cant complain about a single thing regarding this app.

What do you dislike?

Again, I really can't think of 1 thing I dislike. If there is ever any slowness, it tends to stem from our end as users, not from the software.

The ease of expensing purchases for business has gotten EXPONENTIALLY easier since our company started using Abacus, at least from the submitting side of things.

Abacus review by Amanda C.
Amanda C.

"Abacus is a seamless and easy to use expense system"

What do you like best?

Abacus' user interface is extremely intuitive and easy to use. Compared to the Concur system, expensing on Abacus is a breeze because of the ability to drag images into the platform, and the small amount of details that are required relating to one expense. What's even better is that you can upload expenses directly from your phone through the mobile app. This makes it a lot harder to forget to submit an expense because you can do so as soon as you receive the receipt.

What do you dislike?

Abacus should show an aggregate amount of expenses outstanding immediately on the home page. They should also show the amount of funds that have already been approved and are on their way, as well as the expected deposit date. The categories of expenses appear to be limited - users should be able to suggest their own to administrators in some way.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They should definitely switch from Concur to Abacus because Abacus is much more easy to use and understand. It is also faster and has a simpler user interface. It is nearly impossible to not understand how to use this software.

The system has easily solved the issue of submitting expenses. Because the platform is so seamless and easy to use, it has improved the accounting method that is used for expenses. Additionally, because all of the expenses must be categorized it is easy to see where the highest expenditures are happening. This has also made reimbursements back to employees a lot faster as well.

Abacus review by Administrator

"Abacus is so much better than combing through paper receipts!"

What do you like best?

I love the app! I just take a photo of my receipts and upload them on the spot before I lose them. I use the email forwarding feature all the time for receipts that come to my email. I like that you can add a description in the body of the email and it populates that text in Abacus once the expense imports.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything I dislike, honestly. I do think the linking of credit cards and the users can be a little confusing to navigate the way it appears to the end user. Other than that, I'm happy!

We don't have to save and store paper receipts! Managers can easily approve employee expenses, and there is a clear record of the approval. The reports are easy to use and can be saved for future use. The reports are helpful with budgeting.

Abacus review by User

"Quick, simple, and easy way to manage company expenses on the go."

What do you like best?

The mobile app is quick and easy to scan receipts on your phone right away (e.g., at the restaurant, airport) and is very simple and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

You have to screenshot or save as PDF any receipts that are sent as an e-mail--I wish there was a way to just forward the e-mail to Abacus and have it auto-populate the fields. Also, if I have a stack of receipts, there's no way to bulk process them; you have to take a picture/scan of each receipt individually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, especially if you're a small- to medium-sized business that is looking for a low-cost solution that has all of the core features of expense management and requires little to no training for employees to start using.

Low-cost per user and no need to train employees on how to use the platform.

Abacus review by User

"Easy to use expense software"

What do you like best?

Makes it super easy to submit expenses like cell phone bill, food and travel expenses and team lunches. Sends me alerts when expenses are approved and when it’s time to submit more expenses it’s easy to upload receipts and stuff.

What do you dislike?

Actually I can’t think of much that I dislike, it’s pretty easy to use and engaging. I don’t know what I’d change about it. I haven’t tried the app, but I’m sure it is great as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend! Easy to use, great for organizations streamlining their operations.

My organization started using Abacus to manage expenses and it’s been game changing in how long it takes employees to submit their expenses. Before this we were using a paper form that we had to manually fill out, staple receipts to and get our managers signature on. Hello 90s!

Abacus review by User

"Best expense software I have used"

What do you like best?

UI is adaptable and makes suggestions that are not mandatory so I can enter expenses that are not recognized

Uploading receipts is intuitive and accepts multiple formats

I can split business expenses with coworkers

I know the status of my expenses and get email updates that aren't redundant (if I have several expenses for approval I only get one email if all of them are approved at once)

What do you dislike?

Editing entries is odd and keeps a record of every single change

Editing entries has a delay in displaying immediately when I am making small changes to notes (why is this? A strange and frustrating design UX in an otherwise almost perfect UI)

Very easy to submit receipts after a business trip so I can easily submit before month end

I can split business expenses and list other employees

Abacus review by David C.
David C.

"Abacus has changed my life!"

What do you like best?

Easiest way to process expense charges! Rather than have a full wallet of receipts, along with digital ones that then need to be printed and validated, Abacus full integrates them seamlessly. Moreover, I can also review and approve the expenses from my direct reports. The time saving, efficiency and easy of use is truly outstanding. I would even say that Abacus is fun to use (transforming expense reporting from being my least favorite activity to something that I'm happy to do).

What do you dislike?

I would say waiting 25 years in the workforce to have an employer move to a digital expense report platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Abacus is truly an excellent product. Both as a website and as an app, the interfaces are intuitive, easy to navigate and logical. If one is familiar with online shopping and basic personal record-keeping, the Abacus platform will seem natural with a very quick learning curve.

Completing my own expense reports efficiently, speedily and accurately.

Realizing the same from my direct reports.

Supporting my organization in ensuring that expense reporting is done regularly and accurately.

Being reimbursed quickly, especially for large expenses.

Finally, enabling me to have greater visibility in the expenses of my reports to ensure that we adhere to our budget and spend our resources wisely.

Abacus review by Marc P.
Marc P.

"Great product for simplifying business expenses"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of entering expenses. The user interface is very easy to navigate, and very thoughtfully laid out. Also, the bank transfer, after approval, is very easy and streamlined. I like that Abacus sends me e-mails about the timing of the approval and bank transfer.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were a way to save a draft expense. Often times i start an expense report, and then find myself having to click out of the window, only to have to start from scratch. I am not sure if there is a way to setup template expense reports. As a contractor every two weeks, I submit a time card for wage approvals. It would be nice to have a template setup so all that I have to do is input the number of hours and the PDF of the time card for approval. This would save a lot of time and make for more consistent entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend Abacus to any small business. Having worked at a large company before coming here, the expense report system was disastrous and people were delinquent is submitting forms for reimbursement. Abacus has makes expenses easy to process, and provides no excuses for people not to submit their reports.

I am a contractor, and am able to enter my time card for approval very easily. As a contractor, I often work from home. Abacus makes it easy to remotly upload my time card and submit for approval.

Abacus review by Marsha L.
Marsha L.

"Loving Abacus Everyday!"

What do you like best?

I love that everything is categorized.and self explanatory. The tools they have to assist you comes in very handy. When i need toll reimbursements from my employer, i just enter all my info and then i am paid within a few days of reporting it. The service Abacus provides is an excellent one.p Just awesome!

What do you dislike?

The only thing i could say that needs improvements is sometimes when u enter more than one expense in a day it states its a duplicate. There is no way to differentiate the two. Im sure tgats just a glitch. There is nothing i dislike about Abacus.

Abacus is providing a platform of tools to list expenses and once completed i am able to go back if needed to look up past expenses. Instead of looking for receipts all i have to do is go on my Abacus app and my expenses are right there at my fingertips. Business done simple!

Abacus review by Ajinkya B.
Ajinkya B.

"Abacus - A Finance tool to go for"

What do you like best?

Abacus has been a very useful tool to our finance team managing the corporate expenditures at all levels. User here can modify the view or fields as per his or her requirements. The software is pretty easy to explore by new users and most of the questions are answered in FAQs. Its very easy to upload photos of the expenses and track the same in future. Also, if there are any reimbursements, they can be organized well to manage things transparently. Every expense can be documented easily and can be referred back in case required.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such but user interface has potential to develop more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking at a nice solution for expense management then go for it.

The expense and reimbursement management was made very easy by Abacus.

Abacus review by Susmita P.
Susmita P.

"Wonderful tool for keeping track of expenses!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy both Abacus's website and mobile app for submitting my expenses and keeping track of reimbursements. It seamlessly connected to my bank, shows my past reimbursement data, and I'm able to easily view my pending expenses.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything at all! The app especially has a great UI

Recommendations to others considering the product

In today's age, choose a tool for your employees that already has a great complementary app. They'll thank you.

The business benefits are multiple. I'm able to submit expenses with a few taps on my screen, from my mobile device directly, and categorize them efficiently. I greatly prefer this to other tools I've used for business expense reimbursements, which were clunky, had strange fields, and did not have a great user interface.

Abacus review by Danielle C.
Danielle C.

"Abacus is amazing! Simple, easy to use and allows your company to get your money back fast."

What do you like best?

With Abacus mobile app you can take pictures of receipts and instantly submit them as expenses. Abacus also allows you to connect credit cards to your account so that it will load the transactions for you to review and submit. Our company is able to save time on processing reimbursements and gets our money back to us within 1-3 days using Abacus. I highly recommend it to any company!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the suggested expenses emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy for internal processing and end user to use. Great product!

Turn around time to get money back to employees and labor involved in processing reimbursements.

That with Abacus it takes less time to process reimbursements which means less labor hours and less time for employees to wait to receive their money.

Abacus review by Rita J.
Rita J.

"Very satisfied"

What do you like best?

Abacus is very quick and easy to use as an administrator and a user.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the website can be really slow when I am authorizing expenses. That can be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We went from using no expense app to Abacus. It was like night and day. A huge timesaver and everyone loves it. I would not hesitate to recommend this product!

Everyone in our company that uses Abacus raves about it. Abacus makes it so much easier to submit expenses in realtime. It also helps me as the administrator to track travel expenses that we bill back to our clients.

Abacus review by Bailey T.
Bailey T.

"Abacus"

What do you like best?

It is a vwey easy to uae software that the compamy i work for ises every day. We are always doing math all day every day and we used others bwfore Abacus, but its is by far thw beat we have used. It makes everything we do very aimple and quick.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that i dislike. Other than that it took my company so long to use the software. So i have nothing negative to say towards the software, juat that it took my company so long to use it

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very easy software to use and is so helpful.

I work in a factoey where we have to do math constantly. How much product can we run a day, how long will it take and how efficiently can we get the job done.

Abacus review by Bobbie G.
Bobbie G.

"Easy-Peezy "

What do you like best?

It's fast, easy, and convenient. I literally don't even need to keep paper receipts in my wallet or folders anymore. I take a picture of all receipts and keep them in my phone on my abacus app and never deal with losing them again... and It's done immediately when I pay for something! Boom! Done!

What do you dislike?

I can't customize some fields and can't edit some information after it's entered. It drives me a little crazy when I can't go back and change the detail that I entered or add more detail.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Always have the app on your main home screen so it is quickly and easily accessible on your phone.

It can be done in purchasing realtime. Less saving receipts. Snap the receipt picture as you purchase. I used to lose receipts and now I don't have that problem any more and won't ever again. YEA! A win for Abacus! I also have learned that I save a ton of time. Time is saved on the front end at the point of sale... bc it's so easy, and hours are saved on the back end not having to fill out forms and attach documentation and worry about losing everything.

Abacus review by Danae M.
Danae M.

"So easy I don't even think about it"

What do you like best?

The ability to pick out recent transactions straight from connected cards and turn them into expenses is awesome. Having Abacus handle my bank transfers means I don't even have to think about it.

What do you dislike?

They can't put money back on a credit card, which means that if you make a purchase near the end of your billing cycle, you might have to float some cash to pay off your bill rather than wait for a bank transfer to a checking account, then paying that to the card.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up all of your bank accounts and credit cards on the software before you expense anything.

I don't have to go to Accounting every time I want to purchase something. If there is a deal on a flight for a conference I'm going to that appears on Saturday morning, I can just purchase it and get reimbursed for it in a couple of days.

Abacus review by Jay P.
Jay P.

"Best I've Used"

What do you like best?

Abacus allows for real time, easy, submission of all expenses I have. With direct approval and direct deposit it is by far the best expense reimbursement tool I have ever used.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could allow multiple addresses to send receipts from . Since these are reimbursements most of my receipts go to my personal email address yet Abacus will only accept them from my work email address. Minor quibble but the only one I have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better (from a user perspective) than anything else I've come across.

The benefit is time and money - takes me only a minute to submit expenses as I get them. This means that I don't have to spend half a day every month trying to wrangle receipts and hope I remember what they're for.

"Simple expense tool "

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily use Abacus on my phone or computer and the experience feels very similar. Adding a new expense is super easy and the UI is intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could upload the image of the receipt and the app would attempt to autofill the number and data based on the image.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I could link my business credit card to Abacus and then use it directly to pay for things that would be really helpful. Also scanning a receipt to pull the data off it would be helpful.

This app makes submitting my expenses in a timely manner super easy. I can be handed a receipt at a store, take a pic, and submit it right then and there. No spreadsheets or hassle involved.

Abacus review by Pedro C.
Pedro C.

"Good app and even better customer service"

What do you like best?

Their customer service reps showed me how to use the basic version features, saving us money by not needing to upgrade to the pro version. I felt like they put our needs on top of a quick sale, which is a very special thing to encounter and says a lot of good things about Abacus.

The app does all the basic things we needed, plus it allowed us to deposit directly from our bank (a regional bank that doesn't Expensify doesn't integrate with).

What do you dislike?

nothing so far, everything is fine, I don't dislike anything

We were able to expedite the expense-reimbursement-accounting cycle

Abacus review by Dan N.
Dan N.
View Original November 1, 2016

"Definatly the best Expense System I've used"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use. I sync it to my credit card that I used for travel and then automatically port over expenses. You can also take pictures of receipts as well if that is easier. Allows for very quick reimbursements.

What do you dislike?

Expenses from credit card syncs take a few days. I know Mint, etc. gets those transactions faster. It would be nice if it was quicker so that it is top of mind. I've had to reset my credit card sync a few times if it stops pulling

Expense reporting

Abacus review by Tracey M.
Tracey M.

"Elegance in its simplicity, excellent tool."

What do you like best?

The Abacus user interface is clean, easy to use, and it is easy to find what you need. Our previous system would take months to arrive, so it's useful that it can be in my bank account in a matter of weeks. The application is really great because I can take pictures of my receipts on the fly and not have to save them and enter them all at once, In addition, it facilitates the approval of payments for expenses since we can integrate it with our credit card to facilitate the payment.

What do you dislike?

the possibility of adding a date in which you want the reviewer to approve it. If I have a very large expense, I want my manager to know that I would need it by a certain date in order to manage my personal finances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The mobile application is the best part of Abacus, makes it even easier for users.

It has made it easier for you not to lose receipts and for expenses to be paid faster, i can quickly access my application and see its status, so it reduces the excess of communication regarding whether my request was received or when I can wait for it.

Abacus review by User in Internet

"Finally, a tech-forward solution for dreaded expense reporting"

What do you like best?

Clarity, automation. Ability to email in receipts or submit via app. I can submit expenses as I accrue them, rather than try to recall all end of month.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more granular edit abilities -- I've run into a few issues trying to edit an expense once submitted but before approved. I've also had issues where the exchange rate used by the platform differed slightly from how I was charged by my bank. It was a lot of manual work fixing that. The drop down categories can be a tad slow in-app, only noticeable when submitting multiple expenses, but for that reason I wish I could auto-pre-populate the dept drop down, since my expenses are consistently for the same department and save on the 3 sec to render each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very deliberate in setting up the rules for your organization -- it's possible that a lot of my feedback for Abacus is dictated by the rules in place established by our admin, not necessarily indicative of the tool itself.

Clarity, ease of workflows around expenses and approvals.

Abacus review by Brittany C.
Brittany C.

"Fast, easy reimbursements right back to your team"

What do you like best?

The speed of processing and and total lack of hassle. I've always had to use Excel spreadsheets and clunky expense reporting software before, so getting started with my new organization I resigned myself to looking for the least-bad option out there. Then I found Abacus, and now I love the expense reimbursement process. It cuts out all the tedious paperwork (bye bye monthly expense reports) and focuses on what we're really trying to do: validate expenses and get my teammates' money back into their bank accounts. The timeline from submission to approval to initiating direct deposit has been as little as 30 seconds. It's incredible, and really reinforces the values of consideration and responsiveness on our team.

What do you dislike?

I get the sense that the developers are still working out some kinks in the web and mobile apps – a few times the app has crashed or I've found myself in a loop trying to change some minor detail in an entry. Every single time I've run into an issue, the team has responded quickly and solved it for me. They're also very fast to push updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it!

I work at a startup, which means lots of chaos and (for me) constant anxiety that something important will fall through the cracks. I want my teammates to get paid back on time, and I don't want to spend my time policing cumbersome protocols. I'm pretty obsessed with our payroll system, but I like that we're not forced to link reimbursement processing to payroll processing. Asking folks to wait two weeks for hundreds of dollars they've paid out of pocket is not something I want to do if I don't have to. My startup also happens to be a nonprofit, which means we'll be audited every single year. We have to keep track of every receipt, and I appreciate that Abacus plays well with our accounting system Xero.

Abacus review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to Use with Actionable Integrations"

What do you like best?

- easy to use app on desktop and mobile for all experiences.

- easy to setup to ensure expenses meet the necessary criteria

- data-heavy and driven to help inform Accounting and Business teams of their expenses and how they line up with sales pipelines.

- easy to submit expenses on the go, so no one ever needs to save receipts and bulk submit expenses later on.

- can attribute expenses to a number of categories and/or allocate to numerous participants to better inform a large expense.

What do you dislike?

n/a right now, I would highly recommend this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product to use and consider if you're looking to understand expenses in more depth and how they align with your employees' goals and spending habits. The number of integrations possible for Abacus are high which makes using this software easy to pitch as managers have an easy time approving expenses (Slack integration!) as well as VPs/Finance teams more clearly aligning quarterly goals with the expenses being submitted by employees.

Understanding your expenditures at scale is crucial to success and Abacus ensures this is an easy and scalable process for all involved.

Expenses - reimbursement and submission.

Sales Pipeline Data Analysis - understanding how expenses correlate with sales goals for each business unit and their respective employees.

Abacus review by Administrator

"Abacus as a simple and worthwhile expense tool."

What do you like best?

Abacus has so many feature, it is practically limitless. We were able to use it to shorten our expense process drastically. Not to mention the fact that the Abacus team is extremely helpful. Their introduction emails answer your questions before you even have a chance to ask them! For us, Abacus was the perfect choice as it offered us both a simple and practical expense platform to start with as well as a technology we will be able to use moving forward and integrate with our accounting software as our sales representatives become more aware of the product. (Which isn't too tough! Its incredibly simple to use!) Pricing is at a great point as well. However, if a user does not submit an expense they will not pay for that month! I would not trust those who offer "free expense software." Those at Abacus are professionals, hands down, no doubt.

What do you dislike?

I really have few cons for the software. I think it would be nice to see more instructional videos that we could share with our sales team so that we did not have to explain the software to them. That being said, the software is intuitive and we had few problems helping everyone get up to speed. All in all, there is little to complain about considering how much bang you get for your buck.

. We were able to use it to shorten our expense process drastically.

Abacus review by Joe K.
Joe K.

"Great tool for submitting expenses"

What do you like best?

Easy to submit expenses and have those expenses approved. Bank transfer is fast and puts the money right back in my account. This takes the guess work out of submitting expenses.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, as I don't get very deep into the product. The company catalog could be larger, but that is very minimal. All in all, like the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Solid tool when building out a larger team

Travel expense reporting. Less work for my managers to approve. Automated bank transfers

Abacus review by Jessi R.
Jessi R.

"Mobile Friendly"

What do you like best?

I love that Abacus is a lightweight and mobile friendly expense system and process. I was used to using Concur from other companies and needing fewer clicks, filling out fewer fields, and the mobile friendly capabilities mean my expense process can be done easily, in real time.

What do you dislike?

Some of the suggested expenses and autofill examples are not super helpful, but they are easy to ignore.

Easy and accurate expense management with appropriate (but not too many) steps and approvals

Abacus review by Brandon M.
Brandon M.

"Gamechanger for expense reporting and payouts"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, intuitive and works well with large groups/teams as well as for one-off expenses. In the past it was horrible to have to scan receipts, send them in and then follow what was paid back and what was not.

Now, it is completely seamless. It is easy enough that I typically find myself submitting my expenses in real time. Snap a photo of the receipt, enter the amount, choose the "Why" and categorize. Takes about 45 seconds and I'm done. Then I am alerted when approved and when money is coming back to my bank.

Having had a corporate credit card in the past that still required expense reporting versus just using my own cards and linking to my bank - I would much prefer to just use Abacus.

What do you dislike?

Not a ton to dislike. The team is always innovating and improving, so really it's just about waiting for them to make it better. Would be nice to link it to my credit cards and then allow me to simply review charges and mark them as "business expense". Then I wouldn't even need the receipts.

Aside from that, maybe allowing saved expenses that I can control/customize. Such as buying supplies for an office event. If I could save all the settings for a custom even I would only need to tap "Holiday party" and it fills in all the sub-categories, that might be cool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't think of any downsides from a user aspect.

I work very cross-functionally and with teams all over the company. As such, I often am running around grabbing last minute supplies for recruiting events, office events, team outings, etc.

The major benefit is time of logging and reporting and ease of use.

Abacus review by Meilani K.
Meilani K.

"Abacus Review "

What do you like best?

I like the app and how seamless and easy it is to submit the expenses. Being able to instantly take a picture and submit my expense instantly makes me feel better about not forgetting things.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any negative feedback. The UI is amazing, it's fast, and easy to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Abacus as a user in a company. It makes traveling for work so much easier and reassuring that my things are being sent in immediately, and once I send it in, I don't have any extra work to do as far as saving paper receipts, etc. Since I always have my phone on me, I can immediately snap a photo and submit my expense and not have to worry about it anymore. I also like how it notifies me when my expenses have been approved, and when funds appear in my bank account.

Being able to submit expenses instantly keeps people accountable and organized.

Abacus review by Tyler M.
Tyler M.

"Great, great, great platform for expense reimbursement and reporting!"

What do you like best?

Abacus is quick to roll out (for both users and admins) and makes it fast and easy for our employees and volunteers to get reimbursed for expenses they incur, as well as making it easy to reconcile company card expenses. The integration with our accounting system is extremely easy to use and works very well, which makes our bookkeepers happy.

What do you dislike?

Reimbursements are slightly slow (4-5 days) which can be a problem for some of our volunteers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and see how easy it is to use! It's an order of magnitude easier than the competitors, the value of which can't be understated.

As a nationwide nonprofit, we have hundreds of volunteers, dozens of contractors, and a smallish number of employees located all across the US. Abacus makes managing the thousands of charges these people generate easy, and its integration with our accounting system is excellent. Overall we've saved 15-25 hours a quarter of reconciling receipts each quarter.

Abacus review by Lindsay D.
Lindsay D.

"Quick and painless to get started, nice notifications for status changes."

What do you like best?

Submitting a new expense … step-by-step process is effortless and predetermined categorization is handy. I enjoyed the interactivity to add a bank to my account and appreciate the direct deposit feature quite a bit.

What do you dislike?

No way for individuals to remind management to review/approve a claim. I have a few submissions "pending expenses" just sitting there from four months ago. I just need a button to send a notification to the head of the department (not my direct manager) and request a review of an expense from that department (not my own department).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can't compare it to other software but if you're switching from a manual process you will be in heaven. On-boarding is easy to start an account and add bank information. Not frustrating to use for submitting for reimbursement 2-5x per month.

Process for expense approval. Before we had a manual process with submissions via email and documented with an excel spreadsheet. Abacus saves us loads of time for approval and repayment, along with providing a more enjoyable experience for users submitting expenses.

Abacus review by Ryan D.
Ryan D.

"How expense management should have always been"

What do you like best?

The clean, fast, intuitive user interface

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything! I haven't had any issues with it

As an employee, I can save myself and my colleagues time filing expense reports because the app makes it simple and intuitive. I don't need to bother others to figure out what obscure field/accounting numbers I should be filing things under. It's dead simple to attach my receipts, view status of my expenses, and organize multiple expenses into trips etc.

Abacus review by barry d.
barry d.

"Never Liked Doing Expenses"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Seamless Approval process. Quick turnaround.

What do you dislike?

learning curve is not long, takes a few times to find all the information for expense input.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have never been very good at expense recording throughout my career. Abacus makes my professional life so much easier Easy to track, easy to report and easy to recover

Makes recovery of expenses much easier. In addition it saves time and money internally . it allows for accurate monthly expenses reporting.

Abacus review by Warren W.
Warren W.

"Switched over from Expensify to Abacus"

What do you like best?

I'm usually doing expense receipts on the go during business travel.

For that purpose, having an easy, user-friendly mobile app is really important.

Forwarding emailed receipts and invoices to Abacus to be expenses is helpful too.

Customer support resolved an issue where reimbursements were taking several days and I thought it was because they were floating the money for pennies, I contacted support and discovered that our ACH transfer is slow to prevent fraud. As more money moves through Abacus, our "credit reputation" will go up and payment speed will increase.

What do you dislike?

A notification or explanation to me as a user would have been helpful.

Also, this works well for our small company (10 people), however, I could see where this doesn't give you the bigger management/enterprise features you would want.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for small businesses.

Great support.

Excellent mobile app.

Our company was looking for an easier way to do reimbursements.

Abacus review by Mate B.
Mate B.

"Easy expensing"

What do you like best?

The convenience of its features to make expensing very simple and quick.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app which has only the minimum features and does not adequately follow its desktop application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need good software to keep track of your expenses and the expenses of your team, you can completely rely on Abacus. Its options that you can choose and build for your expensing categories are great!

Regular weekly and monthly expensing are the activities and the main problem resolved is that we replaced another software with Abacus which is much better with quality features. The benefits are quick reporting and approving in real time.

Learn more about Abacus

Abacus Videos

Learning about Abacus?

* We monitor all Abacus reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.