TestComplete

TestComplete Platform has an open flexible architecture that makes creating, maintaining, and executing automated tests across desktop, web, mobile easy, speedy, and cost effective.

Work for TestComplete?

Learning about TestComplete?

TestComplete Reviews

Ask TestComplete a Question
Showing 75 TestComplete reviews
Marthinus P.

"Getting up and running is easy with a "Z""

What do you like best?

Not having real coding background, TestComplete click and record was an immediate hit with my team. Setup is quick and painless and the interface is easy to use. Each tester could get the basics up and running within an hour of playing around with the system. Price wise, at least compared to local options (South Africa) TestComplete is priced very well.

What do you dislike?

There are Artificial Intelligence auto update of specific test intput which I'm not seeing but I'm writing that off due to being new to TestComplete and our inexperience and will definitely make use of the Community and help desk if I still experience this in the future

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a Free Trial which will quickly show if it will work for you, but also read through various Community topics and numerous Youtube videos for quick overview and how to

Regression Testing and testing processes which you won't regularly test. Already our basic tests picked up issues caused by errant code, but an unexpected bonus is that a new member or one not familiar with a process can simply watch the automation run, and use that as training or clue on how to test a specific process.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about TestComplete
Bernhard R.

"TestComplete is a must have tool"

What do you like best?

If you need to put something together fairly quickly TestComplete allows you to do that. Using the recording feature saves a ton of time. If you are looking to get more complex with your tests there are a lot of advanced features available.

The support is wonderful and the documentation that they have is insane (in a good way).

The reports generated are very helpful and it's great that I can implement TestComplete right into our workflow.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was the ability to see what objects I have created checks (assertions) for. Also, it would be great if there was somewhere on the support site with a list of scripts that have been made for different situations. More examples and scenarios would be nice as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have a plan of what you want to do so the sales team and their engineers know if they will be a good fit. Also, ask a lot of questions!

One of the major problems we have is saving time when it comes to testing. Manual testing takes way too long and especially when it comes to doing a sanity test. TestComplete will allow us to run our automated sanity tests which will allow us to focus on newer features that were implemented and/or major bugs that were fixed. So, the benefit of using TestComplete is it will save you time and let you focus on other things.

What Test Automation solution do you use?

Subbu V.

"Reliable test automation tool that works"

What do you like best?

We have been using TestComplete as our test automation tool for a number of years now. The tool has a good spread of features (not bundled up with everything that you possibly don't need) and has proven to be reliable in our environment. We only use the desktop module as most of our products-in-test are desktop or standalone applications so I really can't comment on the web and mobile modules. We also have found TestComplete to integrate well with other tools especially TFS and Jenkins which is a bonus for us - key enabler in our continuous integration process.

What do you dislike?

In terms of the product, not much - navigation and options could be better but this is a minor point. Object recognition is patchy at places but this is a general issue with all the test automation tools out there. One final thing - the pricing has been gradually going up over the last few years but I would prefer this not to be too high until we are priced out from renewing our licences!

We use TestComplete/TestExecute to develop test automation and also to run the tests automatically by integrating to our build process system. This gives us the advantage of continuous integration - identifying issues early and providing feedback to development team. We are also reducing the manual testing effort by having tests automated early in the development lifecycle - this frees up resources to work on other critical tasks/projects.

Mike V.

"UI Automation tool that works as promised"

What do you like best?

Not everyone in our testteam has a developer background, so keywordtests in combination with scripts are the perfect solution for us. If needed, next to recording and updating tests, we used the possibility to write our own scripts.

We also like the dataloop and browserloop functionality, since most of our cases have a lot of possible combinations, which can be validated with UI tests.

The learning curve for Testcomplete is low, there is a quick result once the first basic tests are setup.

What do you dislike?

We've been struggling a bit with the integration with Visual Studio (TFS), but thanks to the help from the support team, these issues were solved correctly, if needed with patches.

Disadvantage of all UI automation is the fact that tests are "bound" to namemapping. Of course Namemapping is needed to identify objects correctly, but when working with grids, it is sometimes hard to identify the right cell in the right row. At this moment, we are not able to select or delete rows in a grid correctly, woraround is working with "sendkeys" to navigate through the grid.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In our evaluation of different products, we've noticed quickly that Testcomplete is a "readable" tool, as said : it is a tool that can be used by non-technical testers also. Price/Quality is ok.

And thumbs up for the support team, they really helped us out with the incidents we've logged.

We are using the desktop edition most of the time, only a few tests exist for our web applications, which form the minority of our applications to test. We mainly use Testcomplete for automated smoketests and regressions tests.

Joe G.

"TestComplete helps you get where you need to be"

What do you like best?

We are a small group, so when SmartBear hosts a free training webinar, we are all over it. It is the small, bonus added things like this that make TestComplete what it is. TestComplete makes it easy for those with programming knowledge to write scripting tests, but at the same time allows users with no programming knowledge to use the on-screen recording. TestComplete is one of the best automated testing options on the market today and versatile yet easy enough to use right out of the box.

What do you dislike?

Being a small group, learning the tool is not particularly easy. Watching the video tutorials and going through the practice exercises doesn't always carryover into the production side of things.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend TestComplete to anyone who is looking for automated testing. In my opinion, TestComplete is one of the best automated testing options on the market today and versatile yet easy enough to use right out of the box.

Trying to implement more and better testing practices in our company is what we are trying to solve with TestComplete.

James K.

"TestComplete: User for 8+ years"

What do you like best?

For what TestComplete can do, the ObjectSpy tool, keeping up with technology, cost, support, and the ease of use are a few on the many pluses to this test tool. I come across very few items that TestComplete cannot automate. And if blocked, the TtestComplete forum of users usually have a solution as well as the SmartBear Support team. TestComplete has been recently been improved and stabilized more for the testing community. I love the new functionality and changes presented as well as those I see in the request queue for future releases. The help documentation is fantastic as well.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a way to get individual test logs from a group run. An optional to turn this on/off would be great. I have very few complaints to present here.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your research, trial the tools, ask questions, review supported OS, browsers , tech. covered.

i.e.

MS Visual is a Dev. tool trying to be used as a testing tool. - high level of coding required

Scripting in TestComplete (which has a variety of chooses) is easier to learn and script out.

Other tools (open source or not) support, be kept updated, and costs are big issues of concern

I use TestComplete across many products that are architectured in different ways.

UI testing, service testing, and distributed testing with TeamCity.

Windows-bases and Browser based applications - TestComplete is great !

Alex G.

"Test Complete - Easy to Use and Feature Rich"

What do you like best?

I love how you can screen capture to create scripts but then simply modify the commands that are created for these screen captures to customize your scripts. I love how easy it is to debug scripts that fail in the Keyword Test Log by matching the expected and Actual images, and by clicking on an error in the log and having it take you to the line in the script where the error occurred.

I also like how TestComplete organizes your scripts and makes it easy to run test suites of scripts. This has been in invaluable tool and reducing the amount of manual time I have to spend on regression testing and freeing up time to do new development testing.

What do you dislike?

So far, there isn't anything about Test Complete that I don't like. The handful of issues I've encountered have been quickly and effectively remedied by their knowledgeable support staff. The only real issue is that the free training sessions they provide could be a little more low level and detailed

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We evaluated a lot of Automation software packages, but Test Complete is the one that made sense from the beginning. Each time we spoke to representatives from other automation companies, we kept going asking the same question. Is this as good as TestComplete? The answer was always a resounding 'No'

TestComplete was the standard we used to judge other Automation software, so it only made sense that this was the package we chose. Each day I use it, I'm reminded how we made the right choice.

I've been primarily focused on testing a POS using TestComplete and have been able to reduce the amount of time I have to run hands on regression testing. The automation tool is so robust that it even exposed a flaw in the amount of load the POS can handle.

Heath H.

"Excellent tool with tremendous flexibility"

What do you like best?

TestComplete is well-organized and presented, and very accessible. It allows tests to be written in several languages and written as keyword tests which require no coding. The object repository is extremely flexible and powerful yet easy to use. Distributed testing is powerful and inexpensive to implement with the TestExecute add-on or use of CrossBrowserTesting add-on feature. Build or buy? My choice is buy when there's a tool like TestComplete available at a reasonable cost.

What do you dislike?

There are occasions when writing tests when TestComplete seems to lose it's "handle" on some objects and can't recognize them until TestComplete is restarted -- I haven't seen this when running tests, only occasionally during the development process. Also, the Python editor is very capable, but also rather slow, especially when trying to step through code while debugging.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get comfortable with the object repository. It is more powerful, flexible, and maintainable than coded object recognition. Also, spend the money for at least one floating license -- it will serve you well when trying to troubleshoot failing scripts on different environments.

Our cybersecurity product is very broad and very deep, employing a web application, a server application, and headless agents on each workstation. TestComplete allows us to test each of these from within the same tests including communication dependencies between the web app and server as well as the agent and server. With every build thru Jenkins, it runs through an automated smoke test to ensure basic functionality is still working. We also use full regression tests weekly, and more often nearing customer releases.

Rawane M.

"Reliable experience with TestComplete for more than 5 years."

What do you like best?

It is easy to learn TestComplete. The keyword scripts are there to help you start. Once you become more advanced you can develop smarter tests by writing code. There is an extensive documentation online, if you are still lost, SmartBear support is quick to resolve your issues. Equally important also is code reuse, we have created standalone libraries which we can reference in any new TestComplete project. Reliability is an important factor, with TestComplete running your tests again holds no surprises for you.

What do you dislike?

We sometimes encounter issues setting up a new environment on a new machine. We contact support when we can't resolve it on our own.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Create reusable libraries. Separate the code to map UI controls from the rest of your code, this way major UI changes will only affect a small portion of your code.

TestComplete solved the high-cost problem of regression testing! We have reduced regression time from days to hours. After using we discovered that adding new tests is quick and easy. Also, mapping interface objects by code will not break after interface changes, if written properly.

Francisco S.

"De los mejores softwares de automatización "

What do you like best?

TestComplete permite el acceso a todo el modelo de vista de los programas WPF, lo que permite que se hagan secuencias de comandos de pruebas complejas.

TestComplete tiene una característica llamada Object Spy, que hace que el scripting de nuevas pruebas sea bastante rápido, ya que los usuarios pueden ver rápidamente los nombres de los atributos de los elementos de las aplicaciones simplemente haciendo clic en partes de la interfaz de usuario de la aplicación.

What do you dislike?

El editor de texto de TestComplete es extremadamente lento para la depuración (especialmente para cargar variables locales, que pueden tardar minutos en cargarse para cada paso del proceso de depuración).

Durante el uso de TestComplete, encontramos que se colgaría regularmente durante las pruebas de funcionamiento, requiriendo un reinicio manual de la prueba.

La versión de JavaScript utilizada por TestComplete es más bien bare bones y podría ser mucho mejor con las características comunes en las bibliotecas modernas.

TestComplete parecía tener dificultades para trabajar con programas de WPF complejos, ya que nos pareció necesario realizar secuencias de comandos frecuentes y actualizaciones en nuestras pruebas automáticas con el fin de asegurarse de que TestComplete tenía una versión precisa del modelo de vista.

TestComplete es ideal para equipos pequeños que automatizan las pruebas de aplicaciones Web. Funciona mejor con pruebas que impliquen acciones sencillas. No funciona bien con aplicaciones y pruebas complejas de WPF que implican acciones de usuario más avanzadas como arrastrar y soltar o desplazarse. La dePuración de aplicaciones WPF en particular es un proceso lento y frustrante.

Jesse H.

"A lot of bang for your buck"

What do you like best?

Our QA team is not very versed in writing scripts, but TestComplete allows you to use keyword tests that are very robust unlike others that are click XY locations. We are able to seamlessly use the same keyword tests across multiple browsers, desktop, and mobile screens. We are able to test the UI and API at the same time (even without SoapUI integration). TestComplete is very easy to learn, and you can quickly get up and running and see results.

Also, the smartbear community is a fantastic resource to have when I come across issues or questions. Support has always been friendly, and always give detailed responses to help.

I was able to be a beta tester for the new OCR feature, and at first I was struggling with its use. But just like anything else I was able to reach out to the community and documentation and soon I was using it to help validate PDF's, which is something that was still a manual step. The other new feature that I personally liked was the ability to see items in name mapping that are not being used. When personally my biggest headache is managing that repository, the ability to confidently clean it up is a huge help and relief.

What do you dislike?

Name mapping is somewhat confusing. I have been using TestComplete for over 2 years and at times I still struggle with managing this correctly. I am not sure what the best practices are, and being able to see what others do would be amazing to see.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The cost alone for the amount of features you get is unlike anything we have trialed. Smartbear is a great company to work with, and they are always listening to the community for new features (that you can vote on).

We are testing desktop applications, web sites, and the connections in between. We have an enormous amount of regression test cases, so being able to automate those test cases saves us 40+ hours of testing each regression cycle. We are also able to complete smoke testing on some 1 off releases quickly and effortlessly.

Eric S.

"New to TestComplete but I like what I see so far"

What do you like best?

I am still fairly new to using the software but from what I've seen so far I like how many different ways it will let you know if a test failed. I don't feel like I have to spend hours figuring out what is going wrong with my test. It will give me a screenshot and tell me what line in my code is causing the issues so it makes my work a lot easier and with being new, it makes it easier to concentrate on learning my job instead of spending too much time on blankly staring at my screen.

What do you dislike?

So far i don't have much to dislike. We do have occasional problems with getting an error message when opening TestComplete but who knows what could be causing that. It could be on our end or any number of problems.

We are able to use TestComplete to create several automated tests to greatly increase our testing efforts. This cuts down on the amount of time other departments have to spend testing when they could be doing other work. We have been able to cut hours and days of testing down to get software releases out in a timely manner

Renato Vicente S.

"Very good tool to perform software automation"

What do you like best?

The OCR option is very useful for reading GRID.

Can create python scripts.

The performance of automated testing is very good with version 12 of TestComplete.

What do you dislike?

Using python's external libraries is very complicated, for example I need to use the lxml library with etree and interpreter error occurs on second use.

There are some moments that the TestComplete hangs and we have to restart the machine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the OCR option to map the hard elements to get the attributes

Today we are able to automate our system that is in vb6 and with this improving the validations.

The quality of automated testing has increased significantly.

We improved the performance of the automated tests by 30% with TestComplete and many screen elements that could not be automated, today thanks to the option to map with OCR.

Alex G.

"My loved automation tool"

What do you like best?

TestComplete its a perfect tool for automation. It allows you to develop automated tests for all kind of webs and a lot of applications. It have a user-friendly interface which allows you to work hours and hours. Also it supports now native Javascript. The object spy is the best point in my opinion because its quite fast and you can perform a direct search or a search when you press some special keys (usefull when you have dynamic elements on clicked items)

What do you dislike?

Maybe the pricing its a bad point because the licenses are quite expensive and the Source Control Management plugin. This plugin does not work correct at all when you have a lot of files because it tries to refresh all the elements when you perform a checkout and the applications maybe its frozen for 10-20 seconds.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to perform a good and stable automation tests, you need to use this application. Jenkins have plugins to launch this tests easily and you dont need to have a big knownledge on development bases in order to perform the tests scripts. You also con use the Script Recorder to perform all the actions easily and without a big effort. I really recommend it.

We used TestComplete to perform Front-End tests and some performance tests. The invested time at first its a lot because you need to create structures and elements but after that, its so easy to create Keywords and create a lot of automated tests without a high level of programming knownledge.

CLAUDON G.

"TestComplete - Powerful software and good user experience"

What do you like best?

The possibility to reference each graphical control by it's name using the "Object browser" tool is really interesting. Even if the control's size, color or the X Y coordinates change between versions of your target application, TestEcomplete find it every time and that makes my scripts very reliable.

The possibility to write your scripts in Keyword (for basic users) or in VBScripts for advanced users make this tool very powerful, anyone can create his script and become operational really fast whatever his knowledge. More you can use both Keyword and VBScripts methods in the same project !

What do you dislike?

If I should say something negative about TestComplete it's the fact that you cannot edit your KeyWord outside TestComplete. When you run a test through TestExecute, if you need to adjust something in your scripts, you can if you are using VBScript but if you need to adjust something in a KeyWord you have to use TestComplete. Both tools doesn't use the same kind of licenses and sometimes this is annoying for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

TestComplete benefits ? simple, easy to use, and powerful !

This tool allowed us to automatize several time-consuming test cases. These tests cases are now launched at the end of the day, running during the night, and we review the result the day after, this is time saving for us.

Another benefit of TestComplete is the consistency and the regularity of the results. Indeed a test performed by tester several times can generate leads to different results. A tester can skip some steps, be deconcentrated, TestComplete is a guaranty that our tests are done following the same way every times

Ed K.

"Great software testing package"

What do you like best?

Easy to get started with useful testing, but also scalable to more complex tests

What do you dislike?

Overall it does very well, but if I had to nitpick I'd like to see a more flexible results reporting and better control over error levels (error vs. warning) for some of the internal functions

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do your homework and evaluate other products as well, but it's worth figuring in the availability of training (TestComplete has free training available as well as more in depth training) and the quality of tech support (user community and tech response). We evaluated and demo'd RobotFramework (cheap, but poorly supported and in the end just didn't work for us) SilkTest (just didn't compare favorably to TestComplete) and reviewed a host of other options.

We've been using TestComplete heavily for the last 3 years. Since that time we've been catching defects earlier in the release cycle, releasing quicker and the number of defects found post-release has dramatically dropped.

"Review of Test Complete in our test environment"

What do you like best?

We like the intuitive GUI, flexibility of working with many different windows applications and the use of checkpoints as a basis of test verification.

What do you dislike?

We find it difficult when running our test suite to know the current status of the test run. Our test suite takes about 20 hours to complete, and we often need to know where in the test run we are, and during run time this isn't possible to determine.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a windows based automation software tool, we benchmarked TC against soem others and found it to be the best bang for our buck and quickest to implement.

We have ported over thousands of manual regression tests to be automated with Test Complete and has freed up test engineers to work on other tasks while Test Complete does the work for us. We analyze the runs afterwards and run automated tests that failed individually as needed, but the time and resource savings has been invaluable to my test team.

"Test complete catches breaking changes"

What do you like best?

My favourite feature of test complete is the automatic recording of tests as you are navigating around an application. These can easily be edited and changed when making changes to an application

What do you dislike?

Test complete is great for winforms apps, but it can struggle with ASP.net applications using DevExpress controls. We have found a lot of manual scripting is required for these types of apps whereas Winforms is quite easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are doing winforms testing this is a great product, its quite expensive but could potentially replace employing a dedicated tester once enough test coverage has been implemented

We are running automated testing on products after changes have been made to do end to end testing for each new release

John S.

"Test Complete is Easy to Dive into"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use and set up for even non technical people. One user can write the scripts and set up the program to do a number of things, and then those same scripts can be used by a non technical person for use with TestExecute, the execution program they have for VMs and PCs that aren't on the main TestComplete computer. Using a combination of TestComplete and TestExecute, you can have a large number of machines or VMs running tests simultaneously saving hundreds of man hours a month.

You can also have someone with no coding experience come in and create keyword tests with very little training or knowledge, this is useful for people who are new to the field, or who just need to automate some test or project on the fly.

They also have monthly and quarterly training sessions free of cost that users can sign up for, something that a lot of other companies don't do.

What do you dislike?

I still have trouble mapping dynamically named objects, particularly with web testing. You can use some workarounds to accomplish your goals, and this does not hamper the final product too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They have some of the best support I have ever worked with for a product. 10/10 Team.

Managed to turn an 8 month project into a 2 week 1 man project with just a few days of scripting.

Able to accomplish a lot more work though automated tasks

Able to complete both agile and waterfall goals in a timely fashion

Samantha H.

"Automated testing made easy"

What do you like best?

Simple user interface with extensive functionalities for testing GUIs. The software is easy to learn to use and there are a lot of online resources available as well as technical support from SmartBear.

What do you dislike?

TestComplete uses a lot of memory when it is running so sometimes causes errors with CPU usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

TestComplete is an amazing resource for someone who is not an expert coder looking to implement automated testing.

We automated our software testing to cut down test time dramatically and allow us to identify more bugs in a quicker timeframe.

Andrew P.

"Current user of the Test Complete Desktop application"

What do you like best?

I liked the flexibility of recording of the test and then converting it into a script. Lots of ready out-of-the-box functionality

What do you dislike?

Delphi grid support could be better, as well as having better solutions for running in headless mode

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When evaluating this product - get a demo, build a prototype against some of the problem areas that you face. If that works out - maybe this is for you :)

Converting tests from WinRunner into something more modern

"TestComplete is amazing"

What do you like best?

Test Complete is easy to use. The record function to create the keyword tests is easy to use and understand making it easy to make changes. Once you've gotten used to the keyword tests, you can slowly move to scripting that provides a little bit more flexibility. I like that it provides different scripting languages which minimizes the learning curve for scripting. It also integrates well with other tools.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have nothing that I dislike about TestComplete. It has met all the needs that we have when it comes to test automation

We are working on automating tests for all of out in-house software and it has increased the number of tests that we can run. We have automated old tests but still manually perform new tests which are then eventually converted to automated tests.

"Review Test Complete Application "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the product and that is offer recording as well as allowing a user to progress and actually as you gain experience then you can become a scripting and coding QA person. This allows for flexibility and expansion of individual skills sets.

What do you dislike?

The hardest hurdle we have to overcome is working with out non-window application such as dll once a exe file has been converted. You can not simply record over the application but rather you need to be more of an expert in coding to get Test Complete to achieve the tests needed for non-web applications.

We also wish that for Mobile IOS prod version or provisioning files we could use these but each time we do they say they are not permitted. Production testing using IOS is a huge component to our needs and we cannot fulfill this now with Test Complete.

My company has never has any QA so we are resolving a huge gap in be able to build automation's that can run daily regression tests as well as smoke tests on staging and production arena's. We are also using this for API testing as well.

"TestComplete Review at Financial FIrm"

What do you like best?

1. Their support model is fantastic. I get a response within 24 hours with over a 90% success rate in solving the problem.

2. TestComplete enabled and empowered us to develop an organization wide framework for Desktop and Web Automation. Especially for .NET applications that are hard to recognize with other tools like UFT or Tosca, TestComplete outshines them in terms of object recognition.

What do you dislike?

1. It can be a tad bit slow in object recognition and on some machines it gets stuck when drilling down to certain objects.

2. It needs to evolve to be more dev friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Inexpensive in comparison to other firms, quality support, ability to scale is quite high.

TestComplete has solved the problem of standardizing automation within my organization. Everyone is on a standard product, talking the same framework. The organization has over 35k tests automated within 4 years.

Jonathan D.

"A well developed and smooth product tool."

What do you like best?

TestComplete offers a great way to test your software for bugs. It's very smooth, quick, and efficient. When using it you save a lot of time! What could have taken 3 hours to find could take you 3 minutes. Definetly a game changer to testers.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike about it. Apart from the occasional bug that you run into on the program, nothing really stands out as something that should be changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it! You will save A TON of time and your work will be a lot more efficient.

We use it to find bugs in our software through constant testing. It finds them a lot faster than if we were to manually look.

Learn more about TestComplete

TestComplete Videos

Learning about TestComplete?

* We monitor all TestComplete reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.