Quartzy Reviews & Product Details

Quartzy Overview

What is Quartzy?

Quartzy is the world’s leading lab productivity solution for small- and medium-sized R&D organizations. Quartzy helps you manage the unique workflow of a laboratory - requesting lab supplies and reagents, approving purchasing and tracking the procurement process, and keeping an accurate inventory so that next experiment isn't delayed.

Quartzy Details

Helps life scientists and lab managers handle, order and optimize their resources day by day.

Quartzy Inc
2009
Palo Alto, CA
@Quartzy

Quartzy Reviews

Showing 37 Quartzy reviews
Already have Quartzy?
Life Science Research Professional 1
What do you like best?

Our lab uses Quartzy every day to keep track of inventory and order requests. We find it super useful for requesting orders, and then tracking orders we've submitted before, as well as notifying one another of shipping and receiving. It's great that we can see prices, past orders, and write as much information for requested products as we want. It's also good for ordering directly through Quartzy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we don't order directly from the Quartzy website since we get special price quotes through our organization. However, they still put the item into my cart (even if I just want to request it so that our purchasing manager knows to buy it himself). It's not a big issue, just not neccessary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd definitely recommend Quartzy if you're managing or participating in ordering for your lab/team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quartzy has definitely allowed my lab to streamline purchasing. It's also allowed us to easily re-request items that we've purchased before conveniently through an online website that anyone can access. It's easy for new members to also be added into the system as well. Overall, it's just a very convenient and easy way to manage purchasing and inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Professor
What do you like best?

Quartzy is just quick and easy. we have entered all of our lab inventory from the start. every time somebody in the lab has a need or if we are running low, they search the product online or directly from the quartzy shop (,which is excellent to find the best price!). they submit their request and then I have approval right for it. if approved, I can order directly through the website as we have set up a standing purchase order with them. if it is not an order through he quartzy shop, we can print the purchase request corresponding to our institution and department. this is a personalized feature! When the items arrive, we can just click received and add the location where it will be stored in the lab.

RESULT: All our inventory and request are centralized. We also order through quartzy and it is quick and can compare prices of a wide range of product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing! really, everything is great! N. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't hesitate!I would say that this is an easy step to take. It is free to use. it might take a little time to enter your inventory but the quartzy team can help with that. it will save you time by having your team request what they need and prefilled the order. then it is already prefilled to enter the item in your inventory! Here is the process we went through: we have entered all of our lab inventory from the start. every time somebody in the lab has a need or if we are running low, they search the product online or directly from the quartzy shop (,which is excellent to find the best price!). they submit their request and then I have approval right for it. if approved, I can order directly through the website as we have set up a standing purchase order with them. if it is not an order through he quartzy shop, we can print the purchase request corresponding to our institution and department. this is a personalized feature! When the items arrive, we can just click received and add the location where it will be stored in the lab. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we have gain time and money with free shipping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

In the large lab I am in, we have 2 locations and 5 different rooms to stock. As the secondary lab manager, I appreciate that everyone in the lab is able to order the exact item they need and can request to restock an item that is running low.

I also really like how, if an item is ordered from the Quartzy warehouse, representatives will contact you to follow up on delayed or discontinued items. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Most things are great, but manually adding items should not have to go through the search first. Could be easier and more streamlined if there was a button to order and have it search as th item number is typing in the manual request. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth it to get used to using for labs or other organizations with more than five people on staff. Everyone can find, review, and order what they need, no matter if a team leader is present. A simple approval process allows simplicity for leaders and simplicity for team members. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Large lab ordering problems are being solved as many items are consumed quickly. We have realized many benefits Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the layout and ease of the platform. Everything is intuitive and the ease of checkout is great. The emailed invoices help with accounting and creating a more organized system of checks and balances. The simplicity of checking out items sourced through Quartzy is also very easy. The ability to have request from different employees also keeps tabs on who needs items and when they need them. Even though our company does not use it too often, I do see the helpfulness in having equivalent items/ same items that can be sourced through Quartzy and the "ask a scientist" button which gives you a better review of options for the items you may source through another vendor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the inventory system because it feels a bit all over the place and not easy to use. The "received/inventory" tab should work hand in hand but I think it is a bit repetitive and not as easy as I would like it. There are some positives with the inventory system, overall it just needs to be more easy to use. One of my other main dislikes which is being worked on by Quartzy, is that there is no option to expedite shipping or any other shipping option except the one provided.

Tracking down invoices is also sometimes hard because there are multiple invoices per 1 order which is a bit difficult when you are trying to enter information for accounting. I believe a more precise approach would be 1 invoice for the whole order but that is not always feasible. We also sometimes get a separate charge for shipping/ handling only which I believe could be consolidated on one charge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great and easy to use tool for laboratory ordering. I would recommend something else for inventory purposes until they fix their systems. The interface is a easy to navigate screen. I also enjoy the emailed invoices for accounting purposes and record keeping. If you are considering Quartzy, I would highly recommend it from the ease of service and ability to ship from multiple vendors in one space. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quartzy is impacted our work by creating an efficient and accountable ordering system for our lab. The benefits I see are in the detailed invoices and ease of use on the system. We have solved the multiple website ordering with Quartzy because we are able to consolidate everything through the Quartzy system.

The benefits of Quartzy stems from its ease and detail. We benefit greatly from the accountability it gives us and the great communication from Quartzy support. It is easy to shop and see items that are specifically sourced through Quartzy and items that are not. Although, we still prefer some items that are not sourced directly through Quartzy we appreciate the fact that there are equivalent items that can be found. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

I set up an Quartzy account for our small biotechnology business 4 years ago. Since then, we have reliably used QZ to track purchases, make an approval flow, create spend categories based on internal funding sources and supply type and to control users. We have recently added some ordering through the QZ shop. Freeware couldn't get any more useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Ordering supplies through QZ comes with the risk of a slow-down in the speed at which things arrive compared to ordering direct from vendor. It's best used for non-urgent supplies. Introducing a third party also increases the chances of purchasing errors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A benefit of ordering through QZ is that a small business like ours does not have to set up a discount supply agreement with some less-used vendors.We can rely on QZ pricing. The largest benefits come in having a well-organized, searchable purchasing record and the means to get data into Quickbooks or use of budgeting purposes. I love the approval chain feature on purchase requests, too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AB
What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to add things whether it's to purchase or to add to inventory. It's also great that Quartzy sends email updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Information doesn't transfer over. For example, if you have documents attached to an item and you mark the item as received then you'll have to re-add those documents to the item again Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organizing how we purchase and our entire purchasing process. It's a lot more organized and easier to maintain the information that is needed Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that it a way to keep all requests & inventory items in one place. That way you can see if someone else already requested an item you need before ordering double the amount Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is that not all items will show up using the quick search with a catalog number, and you will end up having to enter it in manually Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has made the lab more efficient with ordering and keeping up with reagents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Quartzy checks for similar items in the shop Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Delivery times are a little inaccurate and shipping costs are not calculated until the end. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of inventory is much easier with Quartzy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AB
What do you like best?

This has been a lifesaver in keeping orders all in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like the inventory feature to be more robust, such as being able to track items out as easy as in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

At first we were using email to request items in labs. Quartzy has been a great way of keeping request in one place and keeping them from getting lost in inboxes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

I like the clean interface and the ability to look up previously purchased items. It makes re-ordering very simple. Additionally, Quartzy often finds similar products for considerably cheaper than what I was going to pay Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the handling fees for shipping are hidden until checkout. There are times I'm about to order something when I find the handling fees can cost almost as much as the item Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Keeping track of the last time something was ordered is helpful, and I can easily re-order the exact product again without having to search for it again. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chemist
What do you like best?

The only positive thing I can about Quartzy is that it is free. There is absolutely nothing else positive about Quartzy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is no support. When questions are asked, the standard reply is "would you like a demonstration." When confronted with direct questions, they either refuse to answer or provide gibberish for answers. I honestly believe Quartzy is being run by just a few individuals who really have no comprehension about laboratory inventory systems. If you call for support, no one is ever available ("unfortunarely no one is available to take your call..."). If you "chat" with them, it takes a few hours for someone to actually come on line.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not even bother. A complete waste of time if you actually need inventory tracking that is compliant with any regulatory agency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The only thing I can say is Quartzy SOMEWHAT reduces reliance upon excel for inventory. Quartzy has often created more issues than it solves. I would not be so negative if it wasn't for the "Quartzy Experts" providing incorrect or uneducated information or complete refusal to assist or answer questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Derek Gregg of Quartzy

Hi Paula - We truly appreciate your thoughtful feedback about Quartzy and look forward to replying to some of your concerns and working to answer specific questions with you directly.

Quartzy is happy to be able to provide a free platform for labs to manage their inventory and orders. This is a tough task and we're glad to be a part of helping labs run smoothly!

Quartzy's Support Team can best be reached via email at support@quartzy.com or on live chat between 9am-5pm Pacific Time. In addition to the support provided to all users through those channels, we offer free webinar sessions with a lab implementation specialist who can answer any questions you have about how to use Quartzy's features in the way that best suits your lab. If there is any functionality we don't provide, we help with ideas for workarounds or send suggestions to Quartzy's Product Development Team to consider when working on platform improvements.

Our company was founded by scientists and there are many employees who have lab experience that are actively involved in making the platform more useful. Check out some of them here: https://support.quartzy.com/hc/en-us/articles/206996608-Who-makes-the-matches-at-Quartzy-

What do you like best?

That it is an organized way for ordering

That you can tell where things were put away Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That the chemical inventory is not as extensive as our institutions and is not in a similar format Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Where things go when they come in

Answering Do we have X? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

The ease to manage lab orders within the group (especially with the large group) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Searching for reagents/supplies that have short names Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has made searching for reagents so much easy, once its in the system finding the information is so easy and it saves a lot of time, especially if the order was placed by a different lab member

. Also for a lot of products ordering through quartzy saves time and money Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

I like how the process worked with our current flow for ordering, getting approvals and receiving. I also like how Quarzy provides free shipping and discounts on a lot of items we purchase. The staff is very helpful and response quickly to any issue we may have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is really nothing that I dislike about Quartzy. I would love if they could add an SDS management feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organization, Retrieval, Inventory Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is very simple and fast. They keep me updated whenever there is a problem with my orders, such as back order. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of any downside of Quartzy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Of course I save whenever I order from Quartzy. I also save time. Whenever I can not find invoices, and I request for one, they respond very fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Multiple users can be added to a single lab Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

some mismatches with company ref vs quartzy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy of inventory requests Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Formulation Scientist
What do you like best?

Quartzy makes it easy to submit purchase requests without too much red tape Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish quartzy’s interface for automatically filling in information for previously ordered items were better Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quartzy keeps our purchasing department running smoothly and has reduced the time it takes to get items ordered Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

It makes it so easy to find products and place orders. It can also be used to keep an inventory/database of stocks in the lab - plasmids, chemicals, antibodies, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While you CAN use it to keep a database of constructs made in the lab or antibodies and the conditions at which to use them, it requires a lot of customization, that at first glance, isn't even clear that it exists. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The lab first started using it just as a way to tell our lab manager what needs to be ordered. And its great for that. But, as we continue to explore it more, we've realized how much more it can do. And it's free! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR
What do you like best?

Lab members are able to request products without having to email me all the details, instead they fill out the form themselves and it helps keep track of inventory. It's also great that I can mark a product as "ordered" and they automatically get notified, keeps everyone in the loop without the hassle of back and forth emails. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's a few different channels/groups that can be created and I didn't realize that until a few months later. Our lab doesn't personally benefit from this, but I don't mind it since it doesn't interfere with our use of the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Can't go wrong, amazing customer support without spamming your inbox. It's evident they are genuinely interested in helping make your life easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Efficiency, organization, overall adds a level of simplicity to our lab which is always running at a million miles per hour Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lab Manager - Boston Children's Hospital / Harvard Medical School
Biotechnology
What do you like best?

It's very easy for all members of the lab to quickly upload items they need me (the lab manager) to order Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's pushes items sourced directly from Quartzy which is annoying because I usually order through a procurement software, we rely on Quartzy just for organizational needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Quartzy to keep our lab orders organized instead of manual entering everything into a spreadsheet. We can share what we need/want on Quartzy, mark it ordered and track when it is received. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Assistant
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Customer Support communication from the Quartzy, introductory videos to getting started with it, and inviting labmates to join on Quartzy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I do not dislike, perhaps adding more categories to help specify group inventory more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When utilizing the group inventory feature, rate the product! It helps to see what lab members of a large group think about certain ELISA kits, reagents, materials, especially if you are unable to hold biweekly meetings in between data collection and labs. There is always a better product out there and this simple rating feature helps with future budgeting without having to call the person up and ask how their experience was! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Academia - laboratory budgeting and inventory with research (R01) universities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Makes it so easy to purchase items and organize inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that when putting in a request, it tries to change the item you are putting in with their recommended item that is in their own inventory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it! It makes keeping track of supplies and inventory so easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Makes it so easy to organize our lab and keep track of how much and what we are purchasing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

This program is amazing and it’s free which is a great benefit for those who don’t have software funds.

It’s user friendly for all levels

Provided you were spending summaries so you can monitor cost

It tracks and stores all items purchased for easy access in the future

Everyone in the lab can see what’s ordered so no need for duplication Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to be honest. I’m in love with this program! It’s changed the way we order in our lab. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I place orders for several scientists in the lab. It eliminates the need for them to fill my inbox and risk not getting their orders placed. This notifies me there is an order and them once I’ve placed it. They can track, leave notes and see who has checked there items in. There’s no question about whether the correct items have been ordered because all that info is provided. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Its easier to place the order request. They also provide you the alternative, cheaper options of the similar or even the same product from a different source. You can track the status of your order. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I notice that when I place an order request on quartzy and select the better option/offer which quartzy provides me. But, the final reagent which my lab manager orders is the same which I initially add on quartzy and not the second one which I selected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a researcher, I regularly use Quartzy to order my reagents. I think its user-friendly and very helpful lab management app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Quartzy?