Brainscape Reviews & Product Details

Brainscape Overview

What is Brainscape?

Brainscape is an adaptive web & mobile education platform that helps students and employees learn faster using "adaptive flashcards". Anyone can easily create, find, and share flashcards, and study them using the latest in proven cognitive science techniques. Typical user story: (1) Instructor creates a "class" in Brainscape & invites students; (2) Instructor and/or students create "decks" of digital flashcards in a web browser; (3) Students study the flashcards online or in our mobile app, using our fun, adaptive spaced repetition system; (4) Instructor can track student progress and adapt teachings accordingly. Students and instructors can also use Brainscape's marketplace to find millions of other collections of flashcards, for nearly every subject on the planet.

Brainscape Details

Creating a smarter world by simplifying and accelerating the learning process

Brainscape

Social Media and Communications Assistant
International Affairs
Senior - High Net Worth Group
Accounting
What do you like best?

I really liked how easy it was to help me study for certification tests. I was able to purchase flash cards online and upload them easily to the app. It was most useful for studying during times when you're usually just standing around - on the train, in line at a restaurant, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it wouldn't load correctly and that got annoying when I was on a roll. That wasn't too often though, so I really didn't notice it affecting my progress so much. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would say don't hesitate - use it! Any tool that makes studying easier is worth trying out. I found it to be very effective when reviewing for my CPA exam. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Employees were able to study for certification testing. I think it was a great tool that was provided, instead of just making flash cards on your own. Personally I used it to study for my CPA exam while working at Paul McCoy, and it could be used for other certification tests as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Manager
Education Management
What do you like best?

The fact that you have your flashcards everywhere with you. On a desktop system at home or on the train to work via your mobile phone. This is a great benefit for my students. Also, some of the premade flashcard decks are very useful if you have no time to build one yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some decks are very questionable to say the least. Also, the price is very high in my opinion for the tool if you do not want to use only the basic model. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it for free as it is a great product for the features it offers but I think other than the basic version the costs are too high. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are building several decks from time to time for our students. Since they are all at work and learn for off-the-job training at our facility but also at home the time factor is of great importance. Brainscape has the benefit that you can easily make several decks of flashcards with various topics for the students and they can access and learn with them from everywhere in the world. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Learning Assistant
Higher Education
What do you like best?

My favourite part about Brainscape is that the cards are repeated based on how well you know them. I find this to be an incredibly useful tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there were a way to archive decks. I'm often focusing on one or two decks, but would still like to save the remaining ones for future reference. However, I have to scroll through the entire library just to find the ones that I'm currently working on. It would be really nice if there were an archive-like feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend buying Brainscape. Although you can participate as a free user, I've never been disappointed in my purchase. They've also recently introduced an inability to access more than a few free decks if you are a free user, and it really is worth being able to access all of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For myself, this is a tool for school. I'm a math and computer science major, and it has helped me with so many theorems and definitions, it's unbelievable. One of my best experiences was needing to learn the Greek alphabet for maths. Instead of needing to create my own deck, I was able to search the marketplace and come up with already-created content. It was fantastic! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Brainscape does a great job calculating the frequency to display cards so that my time is focused on the cards I'm learning instead of reviewing those I already know. Also, the card repetition is based on how much you remember it. Also, the feature to be able to add photos and the ability to create cards on the desktop really suits my style.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not able to add pics and sound by iPhone also I have to pay more for simple features such as shuffle cards, copy decks, study on reverse sides (already paid a lot) while you can easily do these in other apps like quizlet, magoosh etc.(got stuck with this app because I already put in a lot of cards)

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Would definitely advise you to try it but don't rely on it solely. You might want to try other websites like Quizlet and Magoosh. See what you like and decide accordingly. But don't forget to try this too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it at SJSU as a TA to make flashcards for my class so that they are able to look at them before the exam. Makes it easier for them to learn. A great asset. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Officer
Renewables & Environment
What do you like best?

It's easy to create my your course. I'm learning Tetum Praça, the língua franca of East Timor. There is very little available online to learn it. But I have a PDF of the US Peace Corp Tetum manual. So I typed all the words and phrases into a spreadsheet and uploaded it to Brainscape to create my own course. No other product that I've found provides such capability so well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Big big missing ingredient (unless it's been added recently): the system needs to be enhanced so that it automatically flips the word/phrase pairs back and forth. You can generated the opposing cards automatically, but this is a dumb solution. Brainscape, please update your software so that it intelegently alternates the cards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm learning an obscure language that I need for aid work in a small country that no organisation is likely to create an online language course for. Brainscape enabled me to repurpose an existing document to create my own online interactive course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quality Assurance Manager
Aviation & Aerospace
What do you like best?

I like how confidence levels can be established on the 1-5 scale and how I'm reminded through the alerts to keep studying when I take a day off. I've used this app for several professional certification exams and passed them all because of this app. I promote this app on my social media blog because I want other students to see the benefits of using Brainscape. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I don't like about this app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save all your flashcards in excel before deleting any decks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The ability to study on the go becomes addicting. Rather than divulging in social media apps, I turn on Brainscape instead. It feels good knowing I'm working on bettering myself with my phone and using technology to get ahead. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Assistant - Internal Medicine
Medical Practice
What do you like best?

User Interface is very easy to use and creating cards is simple Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to put pictures on...or any other multimedia Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Studying Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

I love the learning feature. Know a card well, you don't get it as often... need to learn it better, you get it more often. This makes perfect sense. I also love that I can create my own flashcards. This is what I've been doing and I would not use this service without that ability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could edit cards on the fly while using the app. I often find a card that needs editing while I'm studying but there's no good way to remember which card needs editing when I go back to the editor. If you could jump out and edit a card while you are in study mode that would be perfect & save me a ton of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Studying Six Sigma tools could be a lot easier with Brainscape. I may start using this in my training. I train students to the six sigma methodology and this would be a great tool to help them learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Intern
Research
What do you like best?

I'd say overall the graded making for questions (1-5) is my favourite feature. It aids in learning as it promotes you to return to certain flashcards on a regular basis to slowly increase your remembrance of them, and the simplicity of choosing one of these options is also excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

. I especially appreciate the reminder to save, and feel like this could be made even better by adding an auto save option. A few times my Internet has crashed or my computer and although I won't lose much due to the save reminder - it's still frustrating. I also appreciate on the basic card creator tool the ability to move from question to answer box (and from answer to the next question) using the shift key on the key board, it makes creating cards much quicker when I can simply press a button on the keyboard than have to use the mouse to select the next box. However, unless I'm mistaken, this is not an option when you are creating cards in the advanced tool (the ability to add pictures and sounds is very useful by the way) and this would really help if it were possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I use brainscape solely to test myself on my university modules, it is by far the best flash card app I have found. It allows you to effectively learn by focussing on the facts you know less. This is less rewarding as you don't have the reinforcement of feeling great everytime you pass a question you already know, but this is a FAR better way of learning. 100% would recommended, so long as brainscape continues to use clever ways of learning such as these. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use brainscape solely to test myself on my university modules, and the stats are very useful as they allow me to organise my time around the modules and lectures I need to focus more on, which is really helpful. It is hands down the best flash card app for clever revision - you can focus on what you know least. With normal flashcards the temptation is to go over what you know best as it is more rewarding, however with the analysis you can focus your learning more effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Missionary
Religious Institutions
What do you like best?

The algorithm for learning new items is by far the best I have ever seen in any platform. It ensures that you are not overwhelmed by too many things. Rarely ever would you have more than 7 cards in the pile of things you don't know at all. But as you continue to master those bits of information the app slowly gives you more. I have found it possible to learn around 30 new vocabulary words a day with Brainscape, whereas following a traditional flashcard program, or just trying to memorize a list I was limited to around 10. It really works. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is one small thing I dislike about Brainscape. Once information is learned practicing spaced repetition using the app is clunky. It would be perfect if once the cards were graded as perfect they were passed onto a spaced repetition algorithm. I am aware that Brainscape claims to use spaced repetition, but it is actually just confidence based repetition. If I learned something and mastered several times over the last week it should show me that card less often that something I only mastered a few minutes ago. Instead, it simply queues up the next card in line. This is not a problem with around one or two hundred cards, but once the cards are in the thousands it utterly falls short. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Brainscape is by far the best flashcard tool for learning new information quickly. It's use of "confidence based repetition" allows the user to learn large amounts of information without overload. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I encourage the use of Brainscape for language acquisition and encourage those that I work with to do the same. The benefit that I really like is that it speeds up the process of learning something new. As I am a part of an organization that is centered on education and carries that education out in literally 800+ languages, having a tool that speeds up the learning of a language is ideal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the way that Brainscape works, where you rate your flash card based on how well you know it; if you don't know it that well then it repeats the flash card more frequently.

I like the advanced editing mode on the PC where I can add pictures to my flash cards.

I love the certified sets too; I'm a Literature nerd and I love the vocab sets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I understand that some things may cost money on Brainscape; however, I would like to edit in advanced editing mode without paying as well as studying my cards infinitely and resetting my statistics. I would like to be able to insert pictures into my cards using my iPad/iPhone as my iPad is my preferred way of studying. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will have to pay for some things but it's worth the subscription. The advanced editor on the PC is great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm a student so I wouldn't know but it would be a great way to help employees learn certain aspects of their jobs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The study environment, and the user interface. The ability to import images etc. really like studying for exams using brains cape, nothing else has been as effective at learning a large amount in a short a time as possible!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

i would like to be able to use higher quality images, I felt that they where always grainy and low quality when I pasted in images. i would like to be able to creat image occlusion cards. i would like there to be a more clear-cut spaced repetition feature...i use Anki a lot more now and feel that the way that it tells me every day what cards are due for review based on when I last reviewed them is really nice.

AND PLEASE MAKE A WAY TO EXPORT FLASHCARDS WITH IMAGES ON THEM FROM BRAINSCAPE! I WOULD LIKE TO BEABLE TO MOVE MY CARDS AROUND BETWEEN PROGRAMS. THANKS! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

study for medical school Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

For premium customers, the advanced editing features are great. They allow students like myself to create a form of learning that adapted to how I learn. Another great thing that Brainscape features is the different study modes they offer; however, these may not be so clear to a Brainscape newbie. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The advanced editing mode does not allow spelling and grammar checks while typing due to a software flaw perhaps. For content creators like myself, this can be a huge headache as we have to read through our work several times to ensure it is error free. Another big flaw within Brainscape is the fluidity of its app syncing feature. Often times, new cards will not sync correctly and empty decks remain persistent even when you try to delete them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Brainscape provides an excellent foundation to students and content-creators such as myself. It solves what I like to call 'study procrastination through boredom'. Long, two-year courses can often be shortened into 200-300 cards, allowing for amazing results relating to last-minute exam preparation.

One of the massive problems that might make other flashcard applications, such as Studies for Mac, more attractive to your typical content creator, teacher or student is the added advantage of a physical, locally stored application. Frankly, Brainscape's web interface is not perfect and the requirement to have an internet connection in order to create cards can be very inconvenient.

Most importantly, in order to attract thousands of teachers and students in other markets, it is important to recognise and act upon the need for subject-, specification- and qualification-specific decks which will ultimately make the difference between one paying user, and hundreds of paying users. If you would like examples of such qualification-specific decks or would like to hear more from the perspective of a content creator and student, please do not hesitate to contact me on school.gautamchadha@gmail.com. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best aspects of Brainscape for students and professionals are its portability (being accessible from any device), adaptability (offering customized image uploads and advanced editing), and novelty (with its unique 1-5 recall system). It's most helpful when needing review. And once a deck is made, I can always go back in the future and re-review it at a later time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The product still has room to improve significantly. Adding a "card of the day" notification functionality every morning would be a great way to keep students and professionals engaged in review and longitudinal learning. An easy and centralized search function through all the cards in the user profile would also be helpful. The ability to see and work on only one color at a time, and or one subset of a large deck at a time, when decks can get pretty large. I also recommend an export to PDF or back-up system for users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's best used as a review tool. Search for other users' flashcard sets as well, as you may find pretty useful materials in the Brainscape community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it mainly for medical school boards and recall on the rote memorization topics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I use Brainscape for its ability to add photos to flashcards and the option to use advanced formatting that other services don't offer to best design my flashcards so that they're helpful for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I've answered all of the questions as a 5 (perfect), I have to reset and start my score again otherwise it'll just continually show the one flashcard that I rate a 1 (don't remember) which isn't very useful.

If the algorithm remembered which flashcards I continually got wrong and perhaps suggests these first to me when I've completed a full cycle with my flashcard set, that would be much more useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think to get the most out of Brainscape, you need to purchase the Pro subscription. Things like pictures are incredibly useful for me which was my main reason for purchasing Pro. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like how on Brainscape I can rate flashcards from 1-5 with 1 being the worst to 5 being perfect as sometimes it's not about getting a flashcard right/wrong, it's about how much of it do you remember or how confident you feel with that flashcard.

You can also easily share flashcard sets with your friends/school, which is something I often did. There's also a "leaderboard" sort of feature that lets you see how many flashcards each member of that flashcard set has viewed which you can use to determine success. It also has some further in-depth analytics such as the scores they've gave flashcards within each set. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President of the Dietetics and Human Nutrition Undergraduate Society (DHNUS)
What do you like best?

I loved the 1-5 scale on Brainscape; it is unique! The scale allows me to review cards I have more trouble with, while still occasionally reviewing easier cards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we cannot make folders of the cards. As an avid user of Brainscape (I use it for each university class I have), I have A LOT of stacks. However, there is no easy way to organize these stacks, and I am left with unorganized piles which really frustrate me. I have contacted Brainscape on Facebook and they told me that they were in the midst of reviewing this. I would love to see the option to make folders possible as I find it would really improve my overall Brainscape experience. Furthermore, there is no option to switch from advanced editor back to the simple editor, which I find extremely frustrating. Since the advanced editor cannot be used in dual screen mode, it makes it quite difficult to make flashcards from my class notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I feel like I haven't seen much progress in Brainscape. The website I use seems to be rather similar to the one I used in high school. I would love to see updates and, as I mentioned before, the folders option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has not solved business problems per say, but it has greatly improved my memory concerning my university classes. I have achieved a 4.0 this past year, and I can confidently say that it is largely due to Brainscape. Furthermore, I allow my friends to use my stacks, which has also improved their grades. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice President, E-Learning
E-Learning
What do you like best?

What I like best is the ability to make my own decks and the ability to practice (in my case Spanish) any time and anywhere. I'm a power user I guess. I use Brainscape every day and several times a day, essentially whenever I'm waiting for something which, as it goes, means that I use it a lot at red lights when commuting to and from work. (Sshhh... it's not texting!) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI lacks sufficient contrast which is only made worse by the use of very small font in some instances. Need to do user testing with people with an older demographic that is starting to have vision issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

N/A Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use when creating your own cards and the functionality of adding in various thing such as pictures and formating options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features are paid only. I am personally glad to pay for it, but if it were paid subscription when I first joined, I may be a lot more hesistant (however I used it when it was completely free and thought it was worth paying for when it transitioned out) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a pretty neat app that has a lot of functionality. It beats out other flashcard apps in my mind because of its customizability. In my situation where I am using it for memorization of facts, it definitely outcompetes competitors such as Anki. I really enjoy being able to add pictures and such rather than only words. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it for medical school. Great way to create, use and share flashcards Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Producer
Broadcast Media
What do you like best?

That I can house so many cards and get them all on my phone. I can also learn the cards slowly with the different levels as I master them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only one thing I'd suggest is allowing single card in-study editing. I click "edit" but it takes me to a long list of cards in the deck. Sometimes I come across an error on a card and want to fix it right there, but have to dig through the whole deck to go find it and make changes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

100% would recommend. I use it primarily to improve and master languages and it has improved my process so significantly and I can barely believe it. I remember vocabulary better than I have have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I know exactly how to learn new material quickly and easily review it. It's made all the difference in my learning actually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is an absolutely ideal app for medical students who need to memorize a massive amount of information. Clearly, the best format is to design your own flashcards, and Brainscape does that in a way that is fast and user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any dislikes of the app to report at this time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend others explore the options they have for both creating your own cards and utilizing cards that others have made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Solving the problem of memorizing massive amounts of information in a short period of time. I've also realized the benefit of both basic and advanced card editors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lecturer
Higher Education
What do you like best?

It allows you to input flashcards on your own, which helps you tailor your study. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing to dislike is the digital format, which can't be helped (it is, after all, an app!). But it is nevertheless a suitable digital replacement for tangible flash cards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with any flashcard software, keep at it! The more you do it, the more the information sticks and the easier the software becomes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It helps people learn important information in a way that is highly retainable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President and Founder
E-Learning
What do you like best?

Brainscape made it easy to upload lots of great content and get started with their system quickly. For our customers, the big value Brainscape brings is 1) mobile responsive environment and 2) adaptive learning technology. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The basic flashcard delivery is in black and white -- would be great to add some visual flash. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We partnered with Brainscape to deliver some of our science and test prep content. They brought a high level of technical expertise and a world-class platform, allowing us to focus on creating good content while leveraging their existing technology. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Clinical Professor
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Easy to use interface that is visually appealing. You have the ability to study on your computer or on your mobile device. Easy to share with colleagues and collaborate on projects together. Studying is intuitive. Gets the job done in a simple and elegant manner.

Customer service is responsive and helpful.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Minor dislikes: Web site can be slow at times. Some useful features are only available with paid accountants. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Worth trying and do not hesitate asking customer support for help or advice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy way to collaborate on topics with colleagues and students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that you are easily able to make flash cards for classes that you are in and Brainscape tracks your "mastery" in the subjects. You can look up different flashcards that have been made by others. You can also collaborate with your peers and share study sets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it only really allows you to flip through the flashcards that you made and rate your knowledge on the subject rather than quiz, test, or play games with the cards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend using this program if you are looking to collaborate with your peers and learn about new topics via flashcards Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Through this program, you are easily able to create flashcards to learn and quiz yourself on different subjects. You can also collaborate with your peers and share study sets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Brainscape?

Brainscape Categories on G2