Android Studio Reviews & Product Details

Android Studio Overview

What is Android Studio?

Android Studio is the official IDE for Android application development, based on IntelliJ IDEA. On top of the capabilities you expect from IntelliJ, Android Studio offers:

Android Studio Details

@google
22,793,389 Twitter followers
226,485 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.

Android Studio Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Android Studio community
Have you used Android Studio before?

Android Studio Reviews

Showing 376 Android Studio reviews
Already have Android Studio?
Android Developer
What do you like best?

- Open source

- Free of cost for the use

- Easy integration with the google products like admob, firebase, etc.

- Provides emulator for run the applications

- Documentation can be find on the internet

- Easily find the solution of the error.

- Widely use by the developer for develop android app.

- Easy to learn because it has large communities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- It consumes more ram at a time of running.

- Emulator is very slow to open and run the application.

- Required more space for the SDK. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

- You can use it easily by giving some efforts to learn on YouTube.

- It is widely use by developer so we can also use for our requirements.

- Easy installation process for the beginners.

- Highly recommended for the the develop app for android.

- It has support for smart devices app like smart watch, TV, etc.

- Required PC with good RAM and memory. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- It has large community so that we can learn it easily and can develop applications.

- We can make app for android phone which is highly used by the people.

- It supports java which highly use by the developer.

- Can develop app for the smart devices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Frontend Web Developer
What do you like best?

Android studio has both design and code features. This means you can simply drag and drog on design and it will be converted into code. You do not have to write code for all the designs. You can create apps for Android phones, tablets, Android Wear, Android TV, and Android Auto on Android studio. It gives you two programming languages JAVA and Kotlin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A high system configuration is required i.e RAM memory and HDD storage else your system will hang a lot. To avoid this you can use a minimum of 8gb ram and 1 TB storage which will help you in less time for making app builds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

These days apps are required for every business, same I am using Android studio for. I have created android apps for Android phones, tablets, Android Wear, Android TV, and also it is very useful in making web view apps. You just have to put the website URL and it will convert that into the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

So I started coding with flutter in android studio and I just love the fact that it's google's own integration with the android studio using dart as a programming language. Android Studio is not like any other coding software out there, some of the awesome features include:

1. The best feature about Android Studio is that it predicts the code automatically, it completes the code in advance and there is a drop-down list which suggests what to write or use from the list.

2. I started coding with Flutter and the best part is that we can hot reload the app if we make only minor changes and we don't have to wait so that the app can be re-installed on the emulator and then have to wait for it to run.

3. The best part is the constant updates it offers on a continuous basis from Google that fixes all the bugs and provides smooth user experience.

4. The way it just finds an error and gives suggestions so as to rectify the same is just amazing and it just makes the overall coding experience fun.

5.It has the inbuilt firebase integration and we can connect the apps to Firebase directly and no need for the external API integration now which is cool.

6. It also comes with Kotin support and no need to download the additional plugin for Kotlin and all android studio 3+ updates comes with Kotlin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really hate the fact that we have to install a lot of additional software like git and make changes in the windows settings so as to make the flutter work with android studio, it should have been done in clicks only automatically as flutter is google's own native SDK with the help of a single codebase and the apps will work on iOS and for Android as well.

Sometimes it just takes too much of RAM and obviously, it's a quite heavy software and can eat up all your RAM that makes it difficult to use sometimes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can choose Android Studio over any other software due to its easy usage and code predictability. I tried VS Code as well still I prefer Android Studio though if you are looking for a light software you can go for VS in that case. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

If you love coding and especially love developing beautiful android apps that are fully functioning, having great UX/UI experience and solves a problem for people, you know where to write the app. Android Studio not only solves the problem of creating great apps but you can also grow your app with the help of Firebase as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Android Developer
What do you like best?

Live preview of XML code, Instant run facility, Better app indexing, Auto completion, build-in device emulators, Automatic downloading of SDK components, Android Lint to identify potential bugs, Built-in support for Google Cloud Platform, Android-specific refactoring and quick fixes, Android studio is getting better on each update. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Gradle building and parsing are too slow on low configuration machines, High memory usage, Running JUnit tests may compile the code twice, ADB exception when debugging or profiling, Rendering issues. These are the major drawbacks of Android Studio. Sometimes we need to invalidate caches and restart the IDE in order to work properly. This is a time-consuming process. Working with Emulators is also difficult for low configuration machines. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly recommended IDE for Android App Development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Android studio makes Mobile app development easy. Automatic conversion of Java code to Kotlin is the most exciting feature. I've been using Android studio for the last 3 years. On each update, Android studio is getting better and better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the way of suggesting the code and in this, there are separate files for XML and Java so we can easily run the code. Also, the simulation part is seamless, we can easily run our application on different devices for testing purposes. The way it showing the error in lines we can easily navigate to the line in which the error occurs. We can easily find a tutorial on how to make applications. Also on the internet, there are solutions also available for the same. Implementation of the library is easy and you can find the latest version for the same. You can reduce the size of the application to almost 70% of its. Overall it's the best experience while using an android studio for creating an application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Almost all things are good in android studio. But there is some issue with emulation while running in emulator the android studio is a bit hanging. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the best way to start with making an android application. You can find a tutorial for making an android application in android studio. Also, you can build a native(cross-platform) application from the android studio of a flutter environment. Overall it's the perfect IDE for making an android application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have created many android applications with this IDE. Also, I have started making of flutter application with android studio. It's a seamless experience for me of making cross-platform applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Android Studio is a code editor completely specialized in the development of applications for android with many tools focused on the development of professional applications, from the basic to advanced level, with a graphical interface where we can develop our application and we can see our code with a preview, the same program has all the editing and design tools, as well as other tools focused on the functions of the application with which we are working, it also has a real-time error-proof mode, and a correct handling of syntax for when we work purely with the application codes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like the program to incorporate more templates to start faster with the applications, as well as a code library to be able to add to our apps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program has practically all the functions we need to develop applications in Android, I recommend always having the application preview activated, if possible at the cost of the program, this is very useful for when we are editing the code Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When we develop our apps, the first thing we do is import images or logos that we are going to use as well as external code templates to incorporate them into the project with which we work as well when we are editing we select the device or size of our preview where we are going to see the work that we are developing, another function of this program is that from the preview we can work in the application from a graphic environment in real time, in the same way we are using the design tools especially when we work with the size of the images, we are also checking if the code is well implemented with a debugging to later export our application Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It allows you to create a native application that can be easily distributed by the means that you prefer in a relatively easy way and supports a really vast array of devices to target. I really love how you can define everything in relative terms so a device with 4K display and another with 480p can be built with the same project and work on both flawlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really love the freedom that Android and Android studio give us in terms of hardware and software but it also means that my job gets harder with more variety, as a user I love that I can choose whatever I want, as an integrator that is responsible for providing a smooth user experience in all supported devices this same freedom makes my job more complex and a lot harder. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can still do pixels in an absolute way instead of relative to screen size but unless you really really know what you are doing don't do it, it will break your apps eventually Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I build the applications with Android Studio and provide feedback for things that need to be modified Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

1. it provides instant code suggestions

2. in build mobile emulators

3. Support for kotlin, java, c and Flutter programing language

4.instant run make application development faster

5.support git commands

6. Easy firebase integration Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. huge app size and after installation it takes lots of space.

2. Consume a lot of RAM and hang up the machine some times

3.Very slow emulators Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you want all in one IDE go for Android Studio, it supports multiple programming languages and improves your productivity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1. it provides auto-indentation for code and auto suggestions for supported language it improves productivity.

2. It provides inbuild android emulators so no need to download a separate app for that

3. single platform for kotlin , java, and Flutter app development Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student Ambassador
What do you like best?

I love that Android studio makes emulating different devices easy! I love the autofill options in the editor and the error handling is easy to follow. The platform takes a little time to navigate, but once you've browsed for a while it is all very logical. Since it is used so often and the platform has been around for a long time, there are a ton of helpful tutorials online too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Rebuilding a project after making changes can sometimes take a really long time, even with smaller projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've used Android studio most for creating simple, controller apps that communicate with another device using bluetooth or wifi chips. I've recently used it to make a Flutter app which has been a nice experience so far! AS has plugins that make it easy to connect the app to google Firebase and has a "hot reboot" option to show changes without rebuilding the project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Consultant
What do you like best?

What I like best about Android Studio is how they auto-suggest for me code as I write on the editor. This makes it easier for me to know what to write next on my code. I also like how Android studio keeps me updated with their latest component and package updates. This is good as it helps me keep my Android Studio Updated. I like how my code appears on Android Studio, very colorful and attractive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how Android Studio operates well only on Computers whose RAM is 8GB. Even though 4GB of RAM is the minimum requirement, once you open Android Studio on such a machine it won't function effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are thinking of using Android Studio then please go ahead and use it. It's the best code editor for developing high class applications Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using Android Studio to develop enterprise applications for my clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Android Studio is a code editor with very complete tools for the professional development of applications for Android, in which we can handle each of its editing options in a complete and intuitive way, as well as a very readable way to write the code, Editing, importing, syntax, or design tools such as image editing, text insertion, commands, or commands, and also wizards and templates to start the development of our projects more quickly, it also has a test interface or testing that shows us the work that we have developed, as well as an adjustment of sizes, of the window of our app to check the compatibility with different types of smarthpones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like you to add more types of templates to the program so as not to start projects from scratch as well as more image editing methods Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This program contains many tools for programming applications in android, but it also has important tools for testing and error detection, so I also recommend setting the test option, error detection and preview to analyze the application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When we develop applications, the normal thing is that we always work with this program already proven to be reliable because since we work on web or seo projects, sometimes we require the development of applications, and for this android studio has proven to serve us quite well something that It helps a lot is its testing and testing mode, which shortens the work time, and with the program we often check the detection of errors, which together with the testing turns out to be very helpful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

I am developing android application using Android studio from last three years. This the the most intelligent IDE ever i have seen in any type of development. I like its ability of autocompleting the methods it also always provides helpful suggestions while developing. It also update itself time to time to provide new features.Now days android studio improved itself in many direction such as we can integrate various development plugin with it also like dart plugin to develop flutter application which uses dart as development language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One thing i dislike about this IDE is it consumes lots of power as well as RAM on the system if you don't have good RAM in your system Android studio works very slowly it often freezes also. I recommend the developers to make this IDE comptable with the device having less amount of RAM. Other than this i love all its available features Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recoomennd Android studio to everyone who wants to build android application or flutter application this is the best IDE available in the market for developing this types of application.

You will also got new features with every update of android studio. It is very intelligent available for developing android applications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am developing android application using Android studio. I found Android studio as the best IDE availble to develop android applications. I am also developing flutter applications using Android studio. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the fact that android studio got everything i ever need till date.

It has best user experience, best code completion mechanism and best development support.

But above all it's feature the best part is that android studio got the best and vast community to help developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There could me more tools for flexible version controling and may be a little bit of details on error catching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider android studio if you need a head start in the field of android development. It has best code completion,best UI.

On top of that android studio got the best and vast community of developers to help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am developing an application working on Bluetooth low energy with the IoT architecture to solve the sanitation sector problems and maintaining hygiene of public toilets.

And there is no other option as good as android studio for someone who is new in android development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

With Android Studio native android applications can be built. Native apps have unmatched performance speed, are more secure and its possible to integrate cutting edge features. It supports my favorite language Java. It also has inbuilt emulator for all android versions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's quite difficult to get started with proper configuration. Requires huge memory and disk space. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Android studio is the most reliable software for android application development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Android Studio we are able to build robust android applications. The applications made are very faster and energy efficient. The Android Studio provides integrated development environment with latest features. That always keep us ahead from our competitor apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

I love to use its realtime log feature to capture logs, errors and many more and emulator to test android apps. This is really cool. Newly launched emulator is 3 times fasterin CPU and RAM comparision. The virtual testing environment is faster than a real device and has a user-friendly UI. Sensor controls are effective to read every move of the developers. Developers can drag and drop APKs for quick installation, resize and rescale the window, use multi-touch actions (pinch & zoom, pan, rotate, tilt) and much more. Bringing incremental changes to an existing app code or resource is now easier and faster. Thanks to Instant Run. Code changes can be witnessed in the emulator or physical device on real-time without restarting the app or building a new APK (Android Application Package file) every time.

Android Studio provides extensive tools to help you test your Android apps with JUnit 4 and functional UI test frameworks. With Espresso Test Recorder, you can generate UI test code by recording your interactions with the app on a device or emulator. You can run your tests on a device, an emulator, a continuous integration environment, or in Firebase Test Lab. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Android studio is bit difficult to use as new user but in comparsion of running AS on a Mac and Windows, I noticed that it is much slower on Windows as compared to a Mac. Especially loading the emulator takes much time on an windows laptop as compared to a Macbook Pro. Also gradle builds seems to be slow on Windows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would suggest this tool to all testers and QAs to test android apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a software tester and it helps me to get real time logs and errors to prepare high quality bug reports. This is really helpful for testers too. Also, It helps me to test apps using emulator and try different versions. Making multiple builds is a past now. Build for one and test on multiple devices using Cloud Test Lab Integration. Developers can check the compatibility and performance of an app on a wide range of physical Android devices from within Android Studio.

Android Studio integrates with version control tools, such as GitHub and Subversion, so you can keep your team in sync with project and build changes. The open source Gradle build system allows you to tailor the build to your environment and run on a continuous integration server such as Jenkins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Android Developer
What do you like best?

I am an android developer. Before launch of android studio, eclipse was the ide for android development which was very hard to use but after the release of android studio, now things are really easy to manage and use. I like the feature of plugins market place for the android studio because most of the ide's lack in this feature. You can use different plugins and they are really helpful in work easiness. Also x86 based emulators (or virtual devices) are excellent in speed, performance and bootup time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like in android studio is online gradle building, although you can switch the gradle to offline mode but then other project didn't compile. Sometimes you may not have an internet connectivity then online gradle building will give a tough time. Android Studio should change the policy in this regard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As android studio is a development tool and now a days android development is only possible on android studio if you are developing native apps. Also it's a very good ide in respect to UI and UX. So it's a good if you use android studio. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

By using android studio, you can develop android app either in JAVA or Kotlin or both. Before launch of android studio, android development was tough on eclipse ide in the sense of user experience and user interface but android studio solves the problem by providing easy to use user interface and plugin market place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

i really like android studio a lot , from the day it was launched i am using it to create android applications, the layout is to simply drag and drop to create user interface and also every important thing required for creating android apps is present in it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The gradle takes too much time to build. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is Stylish and properly structured and when ever we update they keep almost everything in place so along with new features added. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

RPA Developer
What do you like best?

The best in AS is plugin based development.

Such as flutter/kotlin or java it has made it all easy to work on. Screenshot with this can be referred to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike as such. But the debugging in Android studio should be improvised. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're using it, consider having a very good configuration system. You'll experience the best development experience in this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've been solving various app development related issues with Android studio and must say, it's easier to start from scratch too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Junior Android Developer
What do you like best?

Android Studio is the official Google IDE for the development of Android Applications. The software is freely available for download for all operating systems (Windows, macOS and Linux).

In its stable version it provides a series of useful features for the developer to have full control of the various production phases. The software, which builds the App build on Gradle, offers refactoring options and tools such as Lint to detect performance, usability, compatibility between the various versions. Those who are beginners with Android development can also take advantage of an integrated Wizard to create common Android projects and components. The realization of the UI is guaranteed thanks to an excellent layout editor that allows the user to add the components of the user interface with drag-an-drop or direct entry of the code and preview the layouts by varying the configuration output to be able to create compatible UIs on different devices.

Android Studio easily integrates with other Google products such as Google Cloud Platform, Firebase and Google App Engine.

Android Studio also offers not only the possibility to test your application on a physical device, but also integrates a widely configurable emulator to meet the needs of the developer and provides the same performance in emulation as the emulated devices.

Android Studio supports different programming languages ​​such as Java, C ++ and, from version 3.0, it also supports Kotlin. With the use of plugins and extensions, you can add other languages ​​such as Dart and Go and have the possibility to implement cross-platform applications using Flutter.

With the use of plugins the user can also customize some additional features and add EduTool to learn how to develop in a specific programming language.

Android Studio is easy to install and configure. Thanks to Gradle it is easy to implement external libraries available on GitHub to add functionality to apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One flaw of Android Studio is the incredible amount of updates that are presented to the user. Although keeping the software and its dependencies up to date is a fundamental feature for its best use, it is necessary to have a fast and stable network connection. Furthermore, on slow computers with less than optimal performance, using the Emulator can take up a lot of time and computing resources. We therefore recommend the use of a physical device or emulators external to the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many ways and software to develop Android applications. Android Studio however is the best software currently available for both hobbyists and professionals. Each software update provides new features, new possibilities for a more compact and secure development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

started developing Android applications and thanks to the use of Android Studio and its countless features, I was able to write better quality code in less time. The use of the code auto-completion function, guaranteed by an intelligent code editor, allows the developer to see which options are possible, significantly reducing compatibility and typo errors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.