Veritas Backup Exec Reviews & Product Details

What is Veritas Backup Exec?

Backup Exec is one integrated product that protects virtual and physical environments, simplifies both backup and disaster recovery, and offers unmatched recovery capabilities

Veritas Backup Exec Profile Details

1-50 of 110 total Backup Exec reviews
Database Administrator 2
Government Administration

"Typical Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Technical Customer care support is pretty good and in fact very quick at responding. Can open support tickets via Veritas support portal or via phone or by online chat too. On Level 4 critical System production down, support will respond in minutes and try to solve the issue. Backup Exec is able to backup virtual Machines and physical servers too.

What do you dislike?

Very Expensive compared to other backup solutions available now in the market like Veeam, Altero which also have some backdrops like unable to backup physical machines but good comparable solutions. Veritas license for each module is very expensive. Need to buy license for each agent and a server core license and if at all if we need to use more than 1 drive to run the backups , we need to buy extra Library expansion option licenses along with core license.

In present days we have many issues with backing up several servers and with sql server instances. Support asking us to create separate jobs for drives on the servers and Sql server or My sql instances, which doesn not make any sense and after doing that too, the jobs fail. The jobs success has become very inconsistent now a days. We are on Backup exec 16 and they say that they cannot support SQL server 2017.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask veritas for a test license to try and see if your backups are consistent before buying the solution

Getting backups for all critical production servers, of course with few flaws. Can recover files in granular level from backups and able to backup database instances and applications along with drives.

Inside Sales Manager
Industrial Automation

"Reliable daily backups for server clusters"

What do you like best?

Veritas Backup Exec is one of the most well known backup software solutions in the industry. One of the things I like best about it is the fact that, unlike some newer software platforms, it supports an array of legacy hardware backup solutions (such as tape backup) in addition to modern offerings like hot-swappable hard drives or even cloud backup repositories.

What do you dislike?

While reliability is good overall, I do occasionally run into issues that need attention to resolve. It's tough though to say definitely if those issues are necessarily to do with Veritas Backup Exec as opposed to the associated hardware the software is controlling, but nonetheless it hasn't been entirely hands off. That being said, when issues have risen, the tech support for Backup Exec has been truly excellent. They respond quickly and are quite knowledgeable in solving issues. They will also happily connect remotely to either walk you through or even actively perform the steps required to get you back up and running fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have any legacy hardware you want to continue to use for backups, I would highly recommend considering Veritas Backup Exec.

Veritas Backup Exec is an integral component of our complete backup and redundancy plan. It allows us to maintain a reliable set of both on-site and off-site backups and replications. It also allows for simple restore methods that are used in the event of disaster recovery or even for simple user errors such as accidentally deleting or modifying files or folders on our servers.

Senior IT Technician - Infrastructure
Design

"Could be so much better."

What do you like best?

Interface is clean and easy to use.

Jobs, storage and scheduling is easy to set up.

External storage devices are easy to add.

What do you dislike?

Very poor first-line support

Several bugs found but Veritas seem incapable or unwilling to acknowledge them, seem to have no way of reporting them either, I was directed to a page for suggesting Functionality and Ideas.

Cannot use incremental or differential jobs on a NAS as BE cannot install agent.

Registry hack needed to make some reports function correctly.

Job failures reported when job has actually succeeded.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Product itself is not too bad but support is very lacking. Read up on software problems before purchasing.

Complex backup schedules working alongside other backup solution vendors.

Information Systems Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Backup Exec 16"

What do you like best?

New redesigned interface is much better than previous product. Also nice to finally see Veritas branding. The full features of complete VM recovery are a nice addition that Veritas has made recently. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

What do you dislike?

Support is still lacking. I have found that anytime I am needing to really make progress on support I have to get a technical lead on the phone. Being in IT I know the routine of going through the basics but sometimes it is overwhelming. They do have a quick turnaround on basic support if the issue does not have to be sent to a engineer.

We use this software to back up our complete server infrastructure. This software gives us the capability to perform all necessary backups to disk in a period of less than 24 hours. The system than dumps this backups off of disk to tape for offsite storage. Backup Exec allows multiple jobs to be running at one time.

Senior IT Systems Administrator
Computer Networking

"SImple to use and setup and it works."

What do you like best?

It is easy to setup and keep up to date. It has been easy to add additional servers. When I needed to restore data, it has been there.

What do you dislike?

I find that licensing can be confusing. It has told be I should be using VM features every time I add a virtual server, but I am not license for that version of the agent.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great product for nightly scheduled backups. If you need instant recovery points and many VM, I would recommend Veeam or Zerto.

The software keeps an update copy of the servers and data I back up. I have been able older versions of files and do complete bare metal server restores when needed.

AG

"Common Backup Software"

What do you like best?

With the latest Backup Exec backup software, comes the abilities to store your backup to the clouds (AWS). The backup software enables you to backup your VMs and dataset. What I mean by dataset is the grandular backup say c:\folder instead of the VMs.

The wizard that guides you to do the backup is straight forward, but it's really up to you to customize your type of backup (Differential, Incrmental, Full, Schedule, and Email Notification). It's not too complex. The customer service that you get is great. I recommend customer service if you have questions.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is not being able to create a backup group with the same schedule and place the backup VMs or dataset into them. I would have to create each backup hosts individually which is awful. The previous versions, I forget which one, had the ability too. I don't understand why it was taken out. In addition, backup is not deduplicated at the block or file level. I have proven this point to the customer service and they verified that it wasn't even though the product says it is deduplicated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If the company wants to save money with a backup software, get Backup Exec. However, there's a price for the low cost. That price is recovery of your data. It will take time to recover and backup your large data.

Finding a backup software that can allow for backup for a fraction of the cost of a more robust application. The costs of saving is money. That's why we have it.

Director of Technology
Education Management

"Excellent Solution for a Reasonable Price"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and set up. We use on standalone servers and Microsoft Hyper-V. Reliable and works well with an over-the-network NAS server. I have been using this product in various environments for over 12 years, and I have had only minimal problems. that were easily resolved.

What do you dislike?

The program can slow down and it can be difficult to figure out why. Sometimes it is a network problem and others it is the NAS itself. It would be helpful to have some troubleshooting. It does require quite a bit of memory to keep it running smoothly, but works well on a virutal machine, so that was not a problem for us.

We are backing up all of our servers and saving the data over our WAN to a remote elementary school. Saves us time and money from using backup tapes and paying a company to store them offsite

Freelance Programmer

"Backup Exec is a time tested solution."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and a program that has been around for a long time. Backup Exec is a standard for business. I have used this product since the late 1990's in various applications. In addition to the age there is backward compatibility which allows use with older archives without the need for a converter or migration process.

What do you dislike?

Backup exec is difficult to use with differential backups. This could be improved. The other thing is the user interface is very dated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many solutions for backup - Backup Exec is a enterprise level backup system. There is some investment in purchase and setup but it's worth it.

On-site backup services along with some cloud based backups to systems like AWS.

Assistant Manager, Network/IT
Pharmaceuticals

"Simple to use backup solution"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is very user friendly. Whether you want to perform a push installation of a backup agent, backup a server, or do a restore, all of the functions are easily accessible from the main console. The software also allows you to perform agentless backups of virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if Backup Exec included an option for cloud replication.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Backup Exec is nice if you are looking for an option to simply backup your servers.

We are able to backup our critical servers, and easily restore any files as the need arises.

Service Manager

"Backup Exec is a very efficient software backup system"

What do you like best?

It is extremely customizable and powerful. Allows numerous media types to write to as well as ability to customize jobs including unique schedules, selection lists, and exceptions.

What do you dislike?

Software often has little bugs that make it a pain to administer. Oftentimes, it needs tweaking to jobs, settings, and server settings. It does not overwrite older backups as it should despite setting retention settings. This can sometimes require manually logging into the server in question and clearing out older data to make room for new jobs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great and affordable software, but needs designed properly around media storage to account for proper retention.

If configured correctly, the software does a great job of backing up essential data and systems including complicated SQL and Exchange software. Also, it backs up virtual machines as a whole to provide quicker restoration in a crisis situation. This has been used and tested across many clients and works very well.

AI

"Backup Exec by Veritas - Reliable business backup"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec is established and reliable. It can backup servers, NAS devices, VMWare, Hyper-V and a host of other data types. These include SQL databases, Echange servers and much more. Adding a device to the list of devices that can be backed up is pretty much straigh forward, as is a device to backup data to. And now, with cloud backup, data can immediately be backed up off site as often as you like.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be slow at times. It used to be much easier to create smaller backup jobs that you put together in larger ones but this functionality was strangely remvoed in later versions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test backup and restore operations from as many different types of media as you can.

Data is backed up and can be secured off site with eithet tapes, removed hard disks now in the cloud.

"Happy with the backup system we use!"

What do you like best?

I like the consistency of the product. We have used it for quite some time and rarely have any issues. We used the product back when it was Symantec Backup Exec. Symantec sold to Veritas.

What do you dislike?

I wish my company would allow cloud backup! Currently my company prefers to store all of our data in house on tape drives on our physical DR system with another vendor.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I suggest sitting through a demo and reviewing the pro's and con's of the solution they offer. The software will work out of the box, it's just a matter of some basic training and education to run it.

Local backup of all server system data. We run a physical backup of our data every evening.

IT & Facilities Manager
E-Learning

"Backup Exec is the one for you!"

What do you like best?

This product is versatile and allows you to backup mostly any platform, OS or App. I have used various versions of this for many years and its always been reliable and dependable.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model is challenging and can bring tears to your eyes as the years move on, Their model started many years ago with the option to allow you to connect and remote backup alot of platforms and now I find some of the features have been stripped and added as cost options!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check what you need regarding all the addon products. Its easy to be oversold and you may need a decent supplier to advice you. Find one you trust.

Moving from a script based backup system in one case to this.

(10,001+ employees)

"Great, simple, care free back up"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that when I first set this up I had so many options of where I could integrate my storage through, Azure, Google cloud platform, ASW. It made me feel like I wasn't locked down. Once up and running the process is seamless and took the worry of losing data away from my mind so I could focus on other things.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that initially I had some trouble figuring out the software, all of the ins and outs. I cant fault the company, I just feel there was a bit more to learn than I had expected but this is due to all of the options I had which is a good thing.

The problem I am solving is a catastrophic loss of data with no redundancy. This software takes that worry from my mind and eliminates such thoughts. I never have to worry with this software running.

Senior Network Engineer at Network Performance, Inc.

"The old gold standard for backups is back"

What do you like best?

The speed and flexibility in the restore options - granular or whole virtual drive. Single email message, whole mailbox, or whole database. The have streamline the product line, and just kept the technologies and features that work the best - all under the trusted Backup Exec name.

What do you dislike?

If you are unfamiliar with Backup Exec, there is some learning to be had here to get it working properly. However, if you have used Backup Exec before (either vintage or Symantec branded), the interfaces and methodology is very familiar.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a rock solid backup solutions, Veritas Backup Exec is a great option. You can utilized SAN/NAS boxes for near-line backup storage, and you can do any number of off site options with it. It really is the whole package.

Business continuity and data protection. Server had a bad day? Don't let it ruin your day, restore the whole server quickly. Because it ties into the hypervisor for backups, the speed of recovery is great.

Associate Network Administrator

"Great data backup solution"

What do you like best?

This is a great product for backing up data. If you have the appropriate infrastructure, backups take no time at all. Scheduling backups can get very in depth, which is great for having them all run at different times. Restoring data is a breeze as well.

What do you dislike?

Jobs seem to randomly lockup or not complete. I'm not sure if this is due to Backup Exec not processing the data correctly, or if it is due to something with the Backup Exec agent on the backed up server.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure and have your backups kick off at different times. Make sure they are completing. It is best to check Backup Exec at least once a day to make sure everything is finished.

You don't have backups if you can't restore from a backup.

Data backups. With this software, we're able to schedule backups to kick off at different times. This is great for keeping network traffic down, and making sure the backups complete.

Director Of Business Development

"Veritas Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and use, ability to recover both physical and virtual workloads, baremetal recovery to dissimilar hardware or across various virtualisation platforms

What do you dislike?

so far so good, however every product has minor challenges that ultimately are addressed with time

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Veritas Backup Exec is a well looked after product that has been protecting customer data since the days of early computing. Over the years Veritas Backup Exec has evolved into a mid market solution.

Backing up of our customers' core infrastructure with quick recovery time objectives and strict recovery point objectives

AP

"Good backup application with just a little bit of quirkiness"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that Backup Exec has continued to expand the types of media that it can use as backup destination. I also appreciate the fact that Backup Exec is fairly intuitive compared to other backup applications I have used previously.

What do you dislike?

Backup Exec can sometimes be a bit quirky. Backups should for the most part be a set it and forget it type scenario (other than swapping out backup media.). But for some reason, everything would be going fine for awhile and then out of the blue, a job would fail. A little TLC and things would be OK for a bit and then another failure.

Since we have moved to a mostly virtualized server environment, we no longer use Backup Exec for the bulk of our backups, but we still continue to use for for a few physical computers. For these systems, the setup and use is very straight forward.

Senior Information Systems Architect

"Frustration Abounds"

What do you like best?

1) It seems to be a defacto standard so knowing the product is a portable skill when interviewing for jobs.

2) If you like new learning about how to use new backup software, you'll get an opportunity to with every new release. It's like learning a new software package every year.

3) My servers are backed up.

What do you dislike?

Symantec's inability to choose a direction and stick to it.

In an effort to compete with other products invading the space they once dominated (as Veritas), they make radical functional changes from version to version under the "change is painful but necessary" banner. In reality, it's all subterfuge. They are moving from version to version, attempting to locate a killer feature that they can ride to recapture lost market share. Had they incrementally changed their software instead of ignoring the competition in the VM space until it was too late, they would not be in panic mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Unfortunately, this is a defacto standard. Most companies I have dealt with use this application in some capacity. And to an extent, if you are still backing up to tape, it is a hard sell to have upper management spend dollars to replace something that, while painful to manage, does work.

Ultimately, the product does what it is supposed to. Our servers are backed up. My DR plan is filled out. I have met the corporate requirement.

"Inexpensive Backup Software"

What do you like best?

It's designed for small data Backup and Recovery. With that, it saves you money on a backup software. I also like that you can now integrate AWS as a Target. It's fairly easy to use Backup software. The support you get is A+.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that the reports interface can be improved. It's too complicated for me to customize reports. Almost every reports that I have to collect data needs the vendor to support me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for small data size backup.

The business problem is having a low cost backup software to provide DR of data. The benefits is having to restore data when needed without paying so much for a backup software.

Senior Betting & Online DB Administrator

"A complete tool to backup your servers"

What do you like best?

The power of Backup Exec is definitely the ease of use, the multiple operations possible like simple backups or CD level backup backup, you can back up a server as an "image" and restore it even to dissimilar hardware.

It can be used differently depending on the specific business needs, it can certainly be very useful for Migration of data or the entire infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

In the agents interface you can add a lot of "plug-ins", these allow you to personalize as much as possible the product according to your needs, the majority of these, however, requires an extra payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are lots of products that offer similar functionality to symantec backup exec, depending on how big is your company or depending on your real needs, evaluated well if there are products at lower prices that can to hear about. If I'm not mistaken, if you do not buy any agent (add-on) backups are allowed only in FULL option, this obviously requires space, time and a greater focus on the management of the various servers.

In my previous company we have centralized as much as possible the management of backups of multiple servers, thus allowing complete control and avoiding waste of time and various oversights.

Systems Administrator
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"Clunky and Difficult to Manage Enterprise Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

Server centric model that makes deploying the backup client to end users convenient, but unfortunately not very reliable.

The ability to take full backups of all virtual machines hosted on a Hyper V server through without deploying the client to all of the virtual machines.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything else.

The management console is using a very poor performing SQL Anywhere database program (by default) that makes navigating the management slow and clunky. The management console itself is designed fairly well in the latest 2015 version.

The process of adding a new server or workstation takes around five manual steps. You install the client, then you create a group or add that machine to the group, then you add the client to the actual backup task (because the grouping is just there for giggles) and then you edit and make your backup selections. Repeat this process if any mistakes were made.

The process of database backups are cumbersome and slow. I had an incident recently where database backup jobs were stuck in a "Queued" state for over 30 minutes that I eventually called support about and found that this was "normal" for the first run as it scanned the databases, but there was no documentation of this behavior.

You can create useful "media sets" for Tape backups, but no such sets for hard disk backups. The best way to use hard disk for backups in this program is to have one huge virtual (LUN) or physical drive (RAID), depending on your backup sets. If you have 3 separate disk drives setup and you're trying to manage which jobs go to which drives, you are not going to have a good time.

General backup performance is slow for us, but this could be due to our setup, admittedly.

I have not used this program when it was branded Acronis, but from my time with this program and from many other complaints on the web, this was a better product under Acronis.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are going to go with Symantec, make sure you set it up with religious dedication to the details. Mistakes are going to give you major headaches.

We use Symantec Backup Exec as our primary backup control process and disaster recovery process for all on site servers and workstations. We have not realized many benefits from this product for the reasons outlined above. We have been looking at alternates to Backup Exec.

"Backup Exec for Physical Servers"

What do you like best?

Generally runs well and when I have issues they are easy to resolve. Restoring data is easy enough, but reading the documentation is necessary. I've found that the tape backups are more challenging to restore from vs hard drive media..

What do you dislike?

Quirky, stops working at times, have to monitor more than I would like. Interface is less than intuitive.At times we have issues with settings not working but a restart of services usually fixes the issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Know what it is , the version I use is meant for data backup only.

We use this for data backups of physical servers, data size is easy to maintain, not a lot of bloat.

Database & Evaluation Manager

"Solid product. Purchase verification process can be improved"

What do you like best?

Flexible restore options. Restore speed has been improved. Interface is friendlier. Loved the Instant Recovery Of VMs feature in the latest edition.

What do you dislike?

Instruction, especially the initial setup instruction, was poorly written. There was a lot of confusion to begin with between Sysmantec and Veritas. Tech support was slow to respond. That process can definitely be improved. Don't like the changes they create every year. Adding new features is understandable, but significant changes including installation process only adds to burden of re-learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Streamline any process between Sysmantec and Veritas. Simplified tech support process.

Data backup to tape on daily basis. As an organization that hosts PHI, especially PHI from research studies, it is important to have data backup that's time point based.

Senior Associate
Architecture & Planning

"A Smart Way To Backup"

What do you like best?

I like the scheduled/automated backup tasks Symantec Backup offers. The program runs on both a 64 bit as well as a 32 bit Windows Server OS.

What do you dislike?

Symantec Backup software can require a little bit of time to learn all the features offered by this product. After trying different features available, you'll be able perform many backup tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I do recommend Symantec Backup software as a robust program to backup your data onto tape. It does a great job running scheduled backups onto a tape unit library system.

In order to have backups of our data on tape and stored offsite, Symantec Backup software comes in handy to get this job done. It provides different backup software modules that you can purchase separately on an as needed basis.

UG

"Good backup and recovery software for small business."

What do you like best?

The Veritas Backup Exec software is the central repository for my organization's long term backup strategy. Tapes created using this software are stored offsite in a vault and I have had no problems restoring any data from any tape at all. I feel it is reliable and keeps my data safe.

What do you dislike?

The technical support. It seems that no matter what problem I am having with the Backup Exec product, I cannot ever get a straight answer out of technical support. It frustrates me to no end that the company that created the product cannot even support it very well.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. If you find that it works for you, great! If not, there are plenty of other backup and restore options out there.

We use Backup Exec for long term, tape backups of critical organizational data. The fact that I have been able to restore data from any of my Backup Exec tapes without any issue is a benefit that I could never put a price on.

AH

"Backup Exec 2015"

What do you like best?

Backup Exec 2015 Capacity Edition is a reliable product..simple to configure and manage and it just works

What do you dislike?

I dont like the fact that tech support typically is not very saavy at speaking the English language...thats a huge barrier for me. Calls take way longer than necessary because i have to ask them to repeat everything at least twice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I had used Backupexec in a previous workplace where we backed up much larger data sets....we essentially outgrew BackupExec and they actually admitted they could no longer support the amount of data we managed. We were backing up around 20-40 TB per weekend in our full backups...lots of photo, video, music, large photoshop/illustrator files. It became nearly impossible to successfully backup everything...jobs would just stop running or error out...it got to the point where i would spend 2-3 hrs every day on the phone with tech support to try and remedy the errors....to no avail....after months of this...we had to engage another vendor and we ultimately switched to a disk to disk based solution (Unitrends).

when i began working here at CLC....the backups were non functioning...no backups had been successfully run in over 4 months. I completely wiped out the backup exec installation and reinstalled it from scratch and reconfigured all backups.

C
(10,001+ employees)

"360 Degree Protection with Veritas Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

Not only Backup Exec protects various environment from Virtuall, Cloud , Physical it also integrates with Info Map to give holistic view of what we have in our DC as well as cloud which allows to take appropriate actions with regards to data management

What do you dislike?

I hope they come with feature withing BE to failover servers using Azure & AWS native tools right with in the management console

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If anyone looking for data management solution Veritas BE is definately a good choice also its integration with Information Map make it a formidable solution

We are trying to consolidate data management and at the same time make the data highly available when needed. With this we are able to achieve compliance and uptime

"Sys admin's view of Backup Exec"

What do you like best?

There isn't much that I do like about backup exec. If I had to pick one thing it would be the technical support.

What do you dislike?

Database becomes corrupted frequently. Unintuitive setup process. Doesn't have drivers for some devices and takes a call to support. There were times that an update made the drivers incompatible and the roll-back process is quite painful. It was either roll back to a previous version or not be able to back up to our tape library.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just because it's the biggest, doesnt mean it's the best. There are other options out there that do the job just as good, for a better price and easier to use and setup. The telephone support for them is top notch. They will stay with you until the problem is solved and if they say they are going to call back, they will call back.

We used it to backup user files from 5 file servers onto tape.

Consultor

"Backup Solution for Mid and Small office"

What do you like best?

This is one or the easy solutions in the market. Veritas is always improvement them self. The Microsoft support is the best.

What do you dislike?

The support for cloud is still a work in progress.

The console can has some room to improvement.

They need a web console.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The relation price vs utility is the best

When you need a backup solution that almost not need support you have more time to work in other things.

Working with MIcrosoft's based architecture is simple with Backup Exec

"My Experience with Veritas (Backup Exec)"

What do you like best?

this is one of the most beautiful software I ever met in my life, I used it for backing up the Data in many companies where I worked before, and before the cloud solutions were founded, I used this software for first time in 2005 - 2006, used it for backing up DCs, MS Exchange server, ISA Server and File Servers

What do you dislike?

just the main dashboard, maybe needs some re-design, but in general it is very Good

Recommendations to others considering the product:

just make some re-design to the Dashboard

Backed up all Data in the companies I worked at, and sometimes I restored the data on disasters, and Data Transfer