ReadCube Papers Reviews & Product Details

ReadCube Papers Overview

What is ReadCube Papers?

We are on a mission to make the world of research more accessible and connected - serving researchers, publishers, academic and commercial organizations. Papers offers a robust cross-platform suite of reference management & discovery tools that can dramatically improve the way researchers find, access, organize, read, annotate, share, and cite research literature. Search + Download * Built-in search engines * Personalized recommendations * Related article feeds * Institutional proxy support * Web importing via browser * 1-click PDF downloads * Advanced search filters Stay Organized * Easy importing tools from your desktop/other reference managers * Auto article metadata matching * Full text library search * Advanced sorted & filtering * Manual & smart collections * #keyword tagging, labels & article ratings Read & Annotate * Enhanced PDF viewing * Hyperlinked inline references, high-res figure browsers & auto-fetched supplements * Advanced article metrics (incl. citations, field & relative citation ratio, and Altmetric) * Inline and sticky notes, highlighting and drawing tools * Text to speech tool Share & Collaborate * Up to 5 private shared collections (PDFs/references) * Collaborate with up to 25 Papers user per collection * Share references, PDFs, notes, tags and PDF annotations * Article discussion group Cite Faster * Insert references from personal / shared libraries or use built-in search engine. * 8000+ citation styles supported. Customize & import your own * Quick-copy of citations in bibtex, ris * Export reference list for use in third party citation tools like EndNote and Overleaf * Supports Word 2016+ Sync Across Devices * Unlimited cloud storage for your personal library * Sync your entire library including notes, lists, annotations, and highlights across all of your devices * Supports Desktop (Mac/PC), mobile (iOS/Android) and Web.

ReadCube Papers Details

Papers helps you collect and curate the research material that you're passionate about. This award winning reference manager will improve the way you find, organize, read, cite and share.

ReadCube
2007
Cambridge, MA
@papersapp

ReadCube Papers Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the ReadCube Papers community
Have you used ReadCube Papers before?

ReadCube Papers Reviews

Showing 85 ReadCube Papers reviews
Already have ReadCube Papers?
Postdoc
What do you like best?

I used for 1 year and i am using downgraded version now but its sufficient given i am always on web version. I tried to explore other reference managers

Mendeley: now moving towards online ( web edition) which will take time and present version is slow

Citavi: very strong desktop edition but web edition just started development in 2021.

Endnote, etc : too expensive

Even in trial version, no restriction on cloud storage unlike mendeley and endnote

Cross-reference is probably best and might take years for others to catch up. Best output of readcube is in web version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would like to have additional tabs or sections with subsections. Update pdf to latest versions of articles automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Trial version is very good unless you need offline pdfs, even the downgrade version is good. Upgraded version will give freedom and ease of use on tablets and phones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Improve on word addon..may be some extra functions. I had issues with windows version app. Mac app was perfect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The reader, the folders and the UI seem great. I could divide every paper I've read into different folders and also create folders into folders, which means I can organize my references really well. I need that because I want to be able to sort things out by subject and be able to reach back when I need something. Apart from that, the built in reader is fantastic: I could highlight important parts and make comments on it, all with different colors. The most useful feature I've found is that when I add a highlight or note on the paper, it shows the notes I've made on a "notes" menu, with the modification date and the ability to search and sort them. This has proven really useful in finding things quickly when I need to cite them. Something that stands out is that it has no major bugs. I mean, most of the reference managers I've used had major bugs, but this seem stable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Having to input book references manually. Other than that the experience was really good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I love ReadCube Papers. I'm not changing again, it really solved all the problems I've had with other reference managers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I need to have a reference manager for my PhD thesis. I have been able to manage the references of my phd really well and it has 0 bugs, while also being able to add the pdf and the paper reference into the lists really quickly by using the browser extensions. I've tried the browser extension on Chrome and it worked really well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in ReadCube Papers
What do you like best?

I love that Papers recognizes citations within articles and provides a direct link for me to find them and add to my library if I choose. The fact that I can do this so fast in papers is really a game changer because it helps me stay focused on the task at hand while also building my library. All the metrics that are provided for my articles are extremely helpful as well. I can easily learn about the impact they have had in the field and where they have been referenced since being published. Papers is so user-friendly. I am a big fan of the simple design and the seamless syncing across multiple devices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One area that I think can be improved is tab management. Each paper that has been opened is assigned an individual tab at the top. When I have several papers open at the same time, I can easily become lost trying to figure out which papers I had opened and where the particular one I want is in the row of tabs. It definitely can cause frustration at times. I think this can be remedied by either allowing me to open multiple Papers windows at a time (I am on Windows 10), so I can designate each window to a particular thread of research I am working on, or some other tab management tool. Perhaps keep the tabs the way they are, but give me the alternative option of opening a tool that displays clearly which papers I currently have opened so I can navigate them more easily. This could also open up more opportunities to provide useful statistics, such as when I opened that paper, how many annotations I have added to it, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you struggle to stay focused and/or become overwhelmed trying to build a library of articles, purchasing ReadCube is worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a research scientist and need to read 100's of articles. Papers helps me stay organized and focused. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Postdoctoral fellow
What do you like best?

The ease of use! I like the new version of ReadCube Papers because you can add any paper from any journal to your library and cite them fast.

You can use the app to read, mark, and write a comment on any paper.

Easy access in Microsoft Word. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I like it, but I think with more improvement it can be better and better.

Text editor and snapshot could be added to the app.

Option to copy and paste figures to make a presentation.

Download the figures in Microsoft PowerPoint format. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Arranging manuscript.

writing manuscripts and thesis.

Reading more and easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

I had always used the predcessor "papers3" based on my daughter's recommendation and really liked. When ReadCube came out with the online- there was no computer based offline app. Now the online and the computer app are completely synchronzied. I love it when I am searching for paper and Readcube Papers recognizes that it is a new reference and offers to add it to my library. Most of the time I can add the pdf right within the window. There are a few times we I have to download than import into ReadCube Papers that is effortless. It is easy to generate bibiliographies and citations in whatever style you need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few times we I have to download than import into ReadCube Paper. It can be hit or miss on accessing my University Library for downloads. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very seamlesss Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It fast- it works across multiple devices so regardless of whether I am working on the cloud when I have internet connectivity or working off line it always synchs itself when the opportunity for internet access is available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

I subscribed to Papers to solve a problem with other methods of reading PDFs: I wanted all my notes as well as the full text of the articles to be accessible by search within a single interface. Papers solves that problem well, and organizes articles with competence. The web app is on par with the desktop version; both handle themselves beautifully. Although some functionality has been disappointing, recent updates have brought improvements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features of Papers have been less than completely successful in my experience. Directly adding a paper to the library from a web page generally does not work for me because of my institution's proxy. Papers doesn't recognize most Academia pages as sources for PDFs. And the citation manager is not as flexible and powerful as Zotero's. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I am still happy for the service, though it's worth considering Zotero's offerings as well. And depending on your needs something like Quoll Writer may be more relevant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Papers to organize my school reading. I combine Papers with Zotero, allowing the latter to manage my citations while Papers houses the article PDFs and my notes. In addition, I'm planning to export comments from Papers into a database where they can be combined with notes from Kindle and other sources. This, I hope, can become my research organization system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Post dottorato
What do you like best?

I am using ReadCube for last three years. I found Readcube so useful. It has all necessary tools to annotate the PDF files that are very useful to mark desired texts for reading and for reviewing purposes. I can check for supplementary files if any and I can also check for the article metrics which is indeed very useful option that I never found in any other PDF reader/editor . So, I feel like, Readcube papers is specially designed for the research purposes.

I can not imagine my studies without Readcube papers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I only would like to download my particular folders. Which I am confirmed from the support them that they are working on it and I will have this feature in coming future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If anyone is looking for organising pdf files , annotating them. ReadCube papers is for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had hundreds of papers here and there in my laptop that are now organised in specific folders in a fantastic way, thanks to Readcube papers for offering me such a nice application.

I can read papers through any device and all my annotations synchronised among my devices. I use Readcube for reviewing articles. I do not miss any article now. I can visualise my articles in fully organised way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I particularly enjoy the Google Chrome extensions that help you easily find all the information you need during your research. When I'm researching and looking for a new resource, ReadCubes is always there available to obtain that source quickly. Additionally, it obtains all the information from the resource and creates a citation for the work you may be writing. Finally, it provides important information about the resource you may be looking at such as supplemental information, reviews, information about authors, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be a bug for some journal articles that appear to occur often. When one is attempting to download the article, in some cases there is an error in the download. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend using ReadCubes and allowing all its tools (e.g add-in's in Word or extensions in your browser). This will definitely be a great investment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has helped me most in organizing the papers I'm currently using. It keeps the papers easily accessible and easy to find. Therefore, you can find any paper within seconds. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Applied Scientist
What do you like best?

Search is really great. I find it pretty easy to use search directly to find papers I’m looking for, and I have hundreds (maybe thousands?) of references. For more organization, I’ve learned to use tags and folders, and those work well too.

I rarely have to input reference info directly, for many repositories, Papers finds the info automatically. If it can’t, I can usually download a reference file and import that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The automatic reference info extraction isn’t great for Computer Science journals. It works fine from arXiv, but not from the primary journals.

I would like a little more interface consistency between the mobile version and desktop version, but it’s a minor point. It would be nice to have more search options in the mobile version; right now it is just Google Scholar and PubMed, I think. It would be nice, for instance, to go straight to a journal webpage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It organizes the information I need to do my job as an industry researcher. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

syncing..................................... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nag screen on Paper 3 attempts to bother existing paid users into upgrading. No way to disable it, just get nagged all the time, over and over. If they will do this to a long-time paying customer, they will do it to you. So, just anticipate that when the company wants your money they will find a way to bother you and not stop until you give the what they way. They have basically taken hostage the peaceful, known work flow that all existing users paid for and have come to depend on and refused to give it back. This is the epitome of selfishness and greed and should not be rewarded. Cannot recall in 30 years of using Apple computers a software that did this until now. Reprehensible behavior. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look elsewhere..................................... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. I have used ReadCube on numerous occasions. It repeatedly fails to work with our organizations proxy, where numerous other products work fine. It has taken actions that were a single click with the previous version of Papers 3 and turned them into 3, 4, and 5 step actions. So, you pay more money in order to get to do more work?!?!? There are a variety of features that have also been removed. Apparently a part of their business model is the less for more approach. It's no wonder they are nagging people to death to upgrade. Who would actually pay to upgrade of their volition? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easily organizable library, search features, links to citations to make finding additional papers easy, annotating the PDF directly, and the BEST part: the SmartCite for Word add-in! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It was a bit buggy in the past, but it seems like a lot of those issues have resolved in the past year or so. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's not free/low cost, but it's worth every penny.

Make sure to use your university's/company's proxy (in Settings) so that you don't hit paywalls when trying to download articles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has kept my literature organized in a very user-friendly, easy-to-use manner throughout two graduate programs. The add-in for Word that inserts in-text citations and a bibliography has saved me SO much time and frustration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

All my sources are at my finger tips and so accessible. Whether I am at work home or on the go, the web app has all my papers stored in the cloud, with highlights, lists, supplemental materials, and notes ready to augment my studies. The inline citations and citing articles provide insights into the next works to read and easily add sources to my library. The number of tools at my disposal just continues to grow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Searching for authors or keywords has not been consistently great. Sometimes an obvious word from the title wouldn't bring up the correct result or a slight misspelling of an author name leaves me searching for the article for 5 minutes. This has been much better recently, so they are actively rixing this issue. The other biggest problem for me right now is version control on preprints. I need to update these manually once they move from preprint to published and usually the article undergoes revision so my highlights and notes are not ported. It makes me hesitant to use Readcube Papers with preprints. But then again, I really have no better choice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's worth the year cost of admission. My experience with other reference managers is not extensive but I don't see a reason to even give them a shot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I am in need of a quick citation, I can get a formatted citation with the click of a button. Generating entire bibliographies has recently become possible and using it in Google Docs allowed me to complete my bibliography on my last grant in less than 10 minutes. Seriously incredible. After a couple of years, sources can be forgotten, but revisiting my highlights is like picking up where I left off even years later, usually with new insights to answer old questions or sticking points. The biggest benefit I consistently see is the ability to search through my articles references and find new citations to the article I am reading. This allows me to follow the trail of citations and watch how a field develops while staying current. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

There is a lot I really like:

1. That its simple! Organization of the library, importing papers from the journal site or PubMed, PDFs is very easy and citation work not only in MSWords but also Google Docs and, with some efforts, on Pages and others. Noteworthy, I use med360 for searching literature every day and it works great with papers too.

2. It works on all platforms and comes with a very nice desktop version as well. So, no matter with what you work, it works great. We use a Mac desktop, MacNooks, PCs, and Windos-Notebooks, multiple Chromebooks, Android tablets and apple/android phones and it works great everywhere.

3. Its affordable: I share it with my entire team and this with a truly reasonable prize. Its also great, that some competitors, new OSs on the computer/devices do not require paid upgrades from ReadCube Papers like in some competitors.

4. Layout: I like its layout right from its beginning.

5. The team really helps you and respond to queries!

6. The team improves the service continuously and listen to the users.

7. One can highlight in the PDFs and comment and write some notes that can be fast seen in the list.

8. Because, handling and reading and commenting the PDFs is so easy and can be done on so many platforms, I stopped printing out the papers and work almost paper free with ReadCube Papers! Can you imaging printing and storing thousands of PDFs? Thanks to ReadCube Papers, I stopped it 5 years ago and never regretted it.

9. Last, but clearly not least, ist rock solid! I have >13.000 papers as PDF and it works very smooth and fast on all platforms.

I am not sure what features others share or not as I stopped using the others a year ago. Because I learned that ReadCub Papers is reliable and reasonable prized and comes with a very motivated team! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Actually there are two things I am missing:

1. There are still some minor bugs that are enervating sometimes. E.g. The citation key is generated by the desktop version but does not do it automatically despite one can select the option. But its easy to generate for new imports and takes just few seconds.

What I miss:

1. That I can colorize the folders and lists for easier search within the own library. I have many lists and categories, so color code may help.

2. Citation import into MSWord/Google Docs: I would dream that one simply selects that in the desktop program and not using the Add-ins feature. But the very good thing here is, the Add-in shows the entire structure of the library, so its simple to find the right paper. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am organizing my entire literature organization, reading and citing with ReadCube Papers. I have currently >13.000 PDF/papers imported and search new papers daily by a small program named "med360". I select the papers there and easily import them into ReadCube Papers from the journal sites that are linked to med360. Its so easy and fast and since using both programs I check papers every day.

I als use the program while writing papers also by jointly writing papers and it works very easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Student Researcher
What do you like best?

I like that I can annotate all my papers with highlights, underlines, and notes, and even add floating sticky notes. I like the color options for annotations and that I can have a main "summary notes" section. It's my main use of Readcube: to organize and read and annotate papers. It's the most basic function of a reference manager and Readcube lets me do it very well. I also like that it's constantly improving in terms of features, like a browser plugin to add papers to my library, and citation software I can use with Microsoft Word. User interface is also great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some papers are not formatted well and this trips Readcube up in terms of annotations, where I can't select certain text or it highlights funny. I also don't like that with many papers, Readcube is terrible at finding the right paper to fill out the metadata. Often only the DOI works. Once you put in the paper's DOI, the metadata automatically fills. But Readcube is bad at finding papers if you just give the title, authors, and/or journal. This is only for the few papers in which the metadata doesn't automatically fill. In general, I have very little problems with Readcube automatically filling out the metadata. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out on their free trail, which lasts quite a long time. You'll still have the papers from your free trails on Readcube if you decide you don't want to continue after your free trial. But I found that I liked Readcube so much it was very worth it for me to pay for it. And I'm still really glad to use it as my reference manager. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organization of my papers. I can create folders and add tags. I can annotate papers and go back and see my notes. It's simply a great reference manager. I can sort my papers, filter them, etc. I have not used it extensively, but I also like the option of finding similar papers to ones in a folder. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's very convenient to track a published paper, how it was cited and by who. It's amazing to add a reference from the software to the library directly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Now it could not make annotation on the pdf file and save it if the file is opened by another ePDF readers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It would save huge amount of time for literature managing, Papers is the best I ever know to make it so easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing literatures is a piece of cake now with ReadCube Papers, it's more convenient than Papers 3, and all other literature managing softwares. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The reading, annotation and reference-tracking experience.

The highlight with different colours is helpful complemented with the note-taking alongside it. Even better is the direct preview of notes to get a quick revision of the paper.

The recommendation feature to helps a lot in tracking down similar papers to what is in a group, a timesaver.

The integration of Altmetric and Dimensions is very helpful in getting a quick feel of the impact of a paper.

The supplementary sections and the collective look of figures in papers are dealt with ease for quick access.

The addition of dark-themed options puts a smile on my face always. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The inability to locate orphan articles easily is hindering.

The absence of an option to locate a pdf directly to a reference.

The mobile app hasn't the ability to add pdfs too from the phone to the app.

I wish the payment could be subsidised for those of us in developing countries because of the difference in currency value. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are ambivalent of this software, just dive in and I assure you won't look back. It's even getting better.

The headache of tracking what you have read to include in you to reference papers would be a thing of the past.

I see it as the premium version of Zotero with great aesthetics looks, feel and experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It offers a way of cataloguing downloaded research articles for better monitoring of subject-knowledge coverage.

Before it, I use to keep these pdfs in folders that were difficult to peruse quickly for papers of interest at a point in time.

It's much better now enabling me to have a big picture look at what I have and the icing is the recommendation feature.

I used track supplementary papers with multiple clicks, check out the impact of papers with different websites and find both related and recommended papers with different applications Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Scientist, Computational Biology
What do you like best?

Syncing to the web for access across multiple devices is very useful.

New article recommendations were handy and appropriate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No major problems using ReadCube Papers so far. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to easily access my paper library on all my devices is a benefit that I didn't realise I was missing out on when using Endnote to organise my library. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Literature searches, reprint collection and organization, and reference management all in one place. I've used it for years (before the cloud version) and I rely on it heavily. I rarely read a paper other than through Papers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Very little! Occasionally hard to download pdfs. And a more usable way to sort papers into folders would be nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm a professor of theoretical chemistry. I use it to manage the literature and share with my graduate students. I use it daily, whenever reading, organizing, or citing the literature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Automatic import and addition of meta data from files placed in "Watch Folders" makes keeping papers organized simple. The ability to add tags, color marks, flags, and sort papers into (sub)folders makes finding things easy. The PDF reader is feature packed and makes following and downloading citations really easy. It will tell you if the paper is already in your library and gives you the option to import it if it's not.

The browser plugin (Firefox for me) is also really nice for making sure you get proper meta data for papers directly from the web. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally, finding the meta-data for a paper, even with manual intervention can be frustrating if ReadCube Papers can't seem to find it -- even if it the only hit on an identical Google Scholars search. It's support for BibTeX seems rather shallow at times -- it will export with unsupported characters and you cannot import meta data for a paper from a .bib file.

The search feature seems to not work that well. I can put in an exact match to a paper's title and it will return 20+ entries with the proper one buried somewhere within. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

ReadCube Papers is worth giving a go. It is free to use and offers plenty of functionality at the free level. The paid features have been worth it to me. The developers are responsive to feedback and get back to you quickly with answers to your questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It has helped me organize my academical articles and make them easy to find. It has helped me quickly get the citation ready by exporting it directly to my clipboard (in the format I choose). The ability to track down in-paper citations has allowed me to track down relevant papers quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Predoctoral Research Fellow
What do you like best?

(1) It's a cloud based application, accessible through a web browser and through an app (that syncs across mac and PC)

(2) The in-built PDF annotator is a great feature!

(3) You can add papers straight from the browser (i.e. from the PubMed website) and it'll download it through the proxy for your university.

(4) ReadCube seems to be responsive to ideas from the public and update the service with new features frequently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

(1) I found the MS Word citation manager wasn't great, and could be improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ReadCube Papers allows me to keep track of all the papers I want to read. I can add the paper from the browser and come back and make notes easily later. This saves me from having 100+ papers sat in a folder on my computer somewhere, each individually marked, that I will never come back to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Convenient with paid version if using Chrome (in theory) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Features don't work well in chrome and work even less in Firefox. Overpriced compared to how Papers was, and the unpaid version has been rendered useless - so if you decided to stop paying subscription your app is not usable for future work and there is no way to export to use different app. They trap you. We need to disincentivize these business models or we'll be stuck paying out the nose to many small companies in the future to do any work at all. Bring back a Papers model that is supported and a one time purchase.

They even admit the desktop version of the app isn't worth using. The browser is the reason to use it and it is not ready. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't use it. Wait until it is ready. They even admit it is not. Their business model is also shameful at the moment. Don't presume the unpaid version is usable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Papers Readcube solves nothing new. Endnote does the same thing as do some other free apps. Readcube papers is convenient but not necessarily moreso than those other apps. Academics should just choose endnote since it is included at most institutions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Val Podbelski of ReadCube Papers

Hi there, thanks for the feedback, and we’re sorry to hear you are unsatisfied with ReadCube Papers. To clarify, we do not require a subscription to export your references from the app. If you decide to cancel your subscription, you can always export your PDFs and library as a .bib or .ris file type and use that to move to another app. We never lock you out of your library, so any articles already in Papers are available to download and read. We are continuously adding updates and features across our suite of apps to meet all our users’ needs.

University Delegate at CIHR
What do you like best?

The cloud-based structure allows easy access to, and management of my references, from anywhere. Clean interface. Allows annotations. Allows sharing with other members of my group. The "#tags option is great. Matching tools are also highly useful and work most of the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not so much 'dislikes', but a more direct access to the PDFs themselves would we appreciated (maybe a button within the "read" window). Or, being able to read PDFs in an environment that resembles more that of "Preview" (Mac) would greatly improve the experience. Also, I can't seem to properly harness the Search functionalities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For me, Papers is the best way to build an overall reference repository. Its cloud-based structure provides the necessary flexibility for such an endeavour. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

To my knowledge, Papers is the best decentralized solution (and without space limitations) for reference management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Resident Physician, Neurology
What do you like best?

Have been a user since the initial version of Papers and it has been continually improved since then. Makes it easy to organize and navigate your article library, insert citations when writing a manuscript, and the Chrome extension now makes it much easier and faster to import new articles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Useful features are sometimes lost when new versions are implemented, but tend to be reinstated with a later update. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Huge time saver by keeping files organized and easily generating citations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.