Mendeley Reviews & Product Details

What is Mendeley?

Mendeley is a desktop and web program for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online.

Mendeley Profile Details

Mendeley Profile Details

Mendeley
2007
London, United Kingdom
@MendeleyTalks

Companies Using Mendeley

Universidad de Granada (UGR)
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

Mendeley Reviews

1-50 of 146 total Mendeley reviews

Mendeley Reviews

1-50 of 146 total Mendeley reviews
Teaching Assistant
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Mendeley Review"

What do you like best?

It helps to keep organized when writing research papers. It's creation of the final reference page is very effective. I love that you can export citations from essentially any journal's website as long as it is a .ris file. That is very convenient. You can also use various different citation styles. The software helps to ensure the quality of citation formatting.

What do you dislike?

I don't really need a fantastic pdf viewer in this software though I suppose that comes in handy when I need to verify citation information. It does what it can but it often doesn't find the right information. I have been trying to find a proper software to use and I have been using this one because it keeps me a bit organized but I don't think I am saving any time. Just taking the citations from google scholar worked fine. I also wish there was a function to use in-text citations outside of brackets. It defaults to citations in brackets then you have to manually edit it to begin a sentence "Author et al., 2000 wrote this...."

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although some websites don't recognize mendeley as a citation software you can export citations from refman format (i.e.) and add it from your downloads to the software directly.

My supervisor likes his students to use this software though he doesn't want to learn it because of the learning curve. I do find it's fairly easy to pick up. It helps to ensure academic integrity when citing the works of other researchers. I benefit from having a bank of articles stored even after submitting papers.

SI leader for MATH 156
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Fantastic for Compiling Literature"

What do you like best?

I truly enjoy how the program stores all documents, allowing me to place them in various folders. This is especially useful when working on multiple projects. I also enjoy how it connects well with Microsoft Word.

What do you dislike?

The program's ability to identify key information is lacking. Many times I have to manually update the author's name and other key information. This is especially important when relying on the program for citations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use this software if you do any sort of writing. It is very user friendly, and is very useful for doing any sort of research.

One problem I've had is keeping articles well-labeled so that I may refer back to them and share them later. This program does this very well, and allows me to easily view and share literature,.

Higher Education

"Good tools for referencing and collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like the collaboration features. I was at a Mendeley User Discovery session with limited or no knowledge about the collaboration features. Therefore when I came back I had to check it out. Most importantly I like the pluggings it has for easy citation. Additionally, I like the drag and drop feature for the desktop app.

The ability to toggle between referencing styles is also a feature I like because it saves you the trouble of having to do that manually if you submitting or writing to a different audience/journal.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes lags on the MS word plugging. I sometimes want a quick look at my word count, but it covers the place.

It sometimes reads the wrong information from the PDF exported.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will be good if it had a way of correcting references based on the imported file. It is of course not that easy because the same article might be from different sources. This doesn't mean it's impossible

I use it mainly for my research work. However, due to more functionality it is providing, I also use it for personal writing. It helps me manage my source of information, which is always helpful for the general audience.

"An excellent way of organizing your papers"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is a very reliable tool that allows using a cloud service to synchronize scientific documents to be read, highlited, and commented and all changes are updated on all devices. I also like the integration with MS Word to cite that work. The citation style and tag tool really helps to have a clear organization of the files. Another useful tool is the file suggestion or paper suggestion using their community. for example, when I find a paper about renewable energy, Mendeley suggests me authors and scientific documents related on that area.

What do you dislike?

I do not find attractive the speed of synchronization of Mendeley. There are some moments when I insert a new document that is watched in some folder and it does not get synchronyzed. I think that there may be also better ways to integrate and organize the files. also, it will be great to edit the document.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would like to have another tools to be capable of reading more smothly. I think that Mendeley is doing great but I feel like something is missing about file managing.

Mendeley allows me to organize tons of scientific documents and cite them. It helped me writing research proposals and reading scientific documents.

"Great for Beginners; Lacks Higher Functions"

What do you like best?

It was very easy to set up, and intuitive to use. I also appreciated how easy it was to convert all my previous articles from another program (EndNote) into Mendeley. Also, you can't beat the fact that it's free, and doesn't expire and leave you without your research.

What do you dislike?

Mendeley doesn't have all the higher functions that some of the nicer programs you have to pay for include, but I guess you can't have everything with a free program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use, very intuitive, and easy to set up. Great starter program, and has most everything you'll need.

Cost-effective, obviously. For starting researchers it is very easy to get them on and set up, and then they have a program they can use for the rest of their lives if they need to, or they can upgrade later if they find they need more bells and whistles.

Graduate Student Researcher
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Organize literature references with Mendeley"

What do you like best?

The software is free. I can organize articles into folders. I love the search engine with which I can look up articles based on phrases that I remember. I like that I am able to highlight and take notes using the software.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is a limit to the free storage. I wish I could see how close I am to that limit so I can monitor my use. The "import" option for web browsers can be improved. I have a lot of trouble importing PDFs that way. I also wish that the article won't be marked as "read" unless I do it manually. Sometimes I open the document but have not finished reading.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a good software to use if you have never considered organizing your reference articles. Citations can be made in Microsoft word using Mendeley too.

In science, we have to write grants and papers all the time. It is very difficult to keep track of all the references. Mendeley makes it easy to keep track of references for each project.

Technical Engineer

"A Time efficient software for organizing many citations"

What do you like best?

When I was working on my thesis, I really needed a FREE software to help me in citation and due to narrow time frame I had, I needed an easy software without the need to learn something new. So, I found Mendely! it it fulfilled all my requirements. Easy to use, has 500 MB cloud storage, citations can be extracted from any PDF which is awesome!.

Also, using a plugin which can be integrated with Microsoft Word and we can choose any bibliography style. All citations can be saved and synced to your account, so I don't have to worry if I lose any resource.

What do you dislike?

Well I had some issue while using it which is a time consuming sometimes, data extraction from any PDF is not that precise, beside sometimes it gives you mismatching information which I think it needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I really recommend Menedely to whom are suffering in organizing their citations, especially the masters & PHD students.

We can share an important papers and articles provided with notes and my colleagues can access them and add more into the library.

"Research Annotation Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I love that it is a cloud based service and that I can highlight and add notes with any device that connects to the internet. The citation manager has also saved me A LOT of time with bibliographies. I also like that I can organize my pdf files by topic area or author. It also has a great way of searching for related literature on the papers you have uploaded into the system. I always read through the emails I get from Mendeley with recommended literature that is based on other files I have uploaded into the system.

What do you dislike?

There should be an auto-save/auto-sync option when using the software. Sometimes I forget to sync added files which means I can't access them on other devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to watch youtube tutorials or read up on the different things you can do with Mendeley. There is a slight learning curve but worth it!

I have all of my pdfs organized in one space with highlights and added notes. When I want to add a citation, I use the plug-in tool which helps tremendously with automating the bibliography.

Ms.
(10,001+ employees)

"It's worked wonders in keeping my literature review organised! "

What do you like best?

The Google Chrome plug-in is absolutely wonderful

What do you dislike?

Scrolling the papers on the desktop app is buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it to get organised with your literature survey material. Definitely do download the Chrome plugin

It makes it very easy to keep papers organised. I'm working on 2 parallel projects and I can have relevant papers in separate folders and I can make notes right next to the paper. It is very easy to add papers to your folders by clicking one button on google chrome. You can also directly get a Latex style citation in whichever journal format you would like. If there's something not up to par, you can suggest edits to the developer and it will be looked into.

UR
(10,001+ employees)

"Mendeley helps me keep track of lots of references"

What do you like best?

I like that I can choose what format to insert in-text citations along with the bibliography list at the end of manuscripts. I also find Mendeley's online search library is great as I can easily add references to my library from the online search if someone has included an entry for a particular paper in the past. I appreciate that Mendeley integrates into word fairly seamlessly. I also was able to add a Mendeley importer app on Chrome to more easily add papers I find online.

What do you dislike?

Mendeley can be prone to crashing at times. There are a wide variety of available formats to choose when adding entries manually but these are not always quite right for certain reports and other white papers or slightly less traditional formats. I also find that creating your own unique master formats is not very intuitive and it might be nice to have more support when doing this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I generally would recommend asking around about recommendations for citation software and trying more than one. It's also useful to see if your team uses a particular product because then you can integrate your efforts. For example, you can export your library for others to use when using the same software.

Mendeley allows for more automation when adding scientific sources. As lit reviews are standard when writing scientific manuscripts and grants and the like, this really saves time. There is a lot of similar software but I find Mendeley is a bit more workable and flexible than some others.

Dominique Bohorquez

"Great reference manager!"

What do you like best?

This is such a great tool to consolidate all of your paper and journal references into one program. As a busy student researcher, it can be overwhelming to find the time to organize all your references and papers while at the same time managing to write and get your research done. I love the literature search tab it has because it makes it faster to add a reference without having to manually input journal information. But my favorite feature of all time is the MicrosoftWord plug-in! As I am writing a manuscript, I can real time add a reference and whole separate page with my references is made according to any guidelines I want (in my case is the AMA citation format! I also like that it serves as an academic social interface where you can connect with other members of the scientific community and find other people who are doing the same or similar research as you with just the click of a button.

What do you dislike?

I personally do not dislike anything about this specific software!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would absolutely recommend this software program to any student, researcher, or colleague out there! It makes doing research and managing references so much easier. It also helps you connect with other potential colleagues and scholars in your field.

It's used as a reference manager that makes storing journals and references easy to do. It is also used as a citation manager!

Graduate Assistant

"A fantastic way to organize citations"

What do you like best?

I like being able to keep my citations up-to-date as I am writing a paper without needing to spend a whole lot of time doing so. I appreciate that I can put my references into the library quickly from wherever I am accessing them from and also that there is a plug-in for Microsoft Word so that all the work I put into storing the citations is accessible.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes sharing references with others is a bit confusing. I am never sure if I can share a folder to a group, or if I need to create a group that has access to the references.

Also -- and this isn't Mendeley's fault, per se, but it's important to be aware of -- sometimes the automatic formatting of the citations isn't quite perfect (e.g., sometimes authors' last names get inputted in all capitals, etc.) so it's not quite a "set it and forget it" system.

In addition, sometimes the authors have multiple listings, for example; "Smith, J" and "Smith, J." are separate author listings, even though it is the same author. It would be nice if we could batch merge these more easily.

I like to share references with my collaborators through Mendeley. I also really appreciate having the

Lab Manager
Higher Education

"Reliable, free substitute for EndNote"

What do you like best?

I really love how high quality the program is despite it being free. I don't see myself ever paying for EndNote when Mendeley is such a solid option. There are very, very few things that Mendeley lacks in comparison with EndNote.

What do you dislike?

If I absolutely had to choose something, it would be that you have to install a plugin into MS word to cite your sources, and in EndNote, you don't. But really this isn't much of something to dislike because it's really, really quick to install the plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely recommend, especially if spending money on EndNote seems like something that's difficult for you to do. Mendeley, in nearly all respects, is just as good as EndNote.

Sharing papers in groups is really easy, and as a biologist, it allows me to stay organized with all of my PDFs in a way that I really struggled with before. My lab at DePaul University uses Mendeley to share papers and also share ideas, as you can take notes on the papers in Mendeley, as well.

Graduate Student
Higher Education

"The best option out there for academic pdf organization (but could use an upgrade for tablets) "

What do you like best?

Mendeley is great because it allows you to organize your pdfs within the app and will auto import any newly downloaded pdfs from the folders you designate. It's also great to have things sync across devices so what I'm reading and my notes are always with me regardless of which device I'm using.

What do you dislike?

This app has so much potential for integration with tablets but falls short. It would be wonderful to get integration with the Apple Pencil so you can take notes directly on articles. The desktop app is also sometimes a bit buggy for Macs in terms of syncing (I can't speak to the PC side of things).

Mendeley helps me organize what I have and haven't read, and easily find articles when I need them for my own reading or to share with colleagues.

Managing Director
Education Management

"Reference manager for simplified file management"

What do you like best?

The feed and connected database that can monitor and find stats on your articles is the nest thing that i like in mendeley. The software which comes with mendeley is free for limited storage of documents which are on the cloud and thus can be accessed from anywhere using any system. The mendeley also has the ability to share the article wit multiple users and also have separate storage space for the same.

What do you dislike?

only one thing that i dislike about mendeley is the sometime slower performance of word plug in that will have to play a important when you are looking for bibliographical service by mendeley. other than this mendeley does not have any dislikes and everything works at its best make this only a slight con which has been overcome by its vast pro's in helping you

Recommendations to others considering the product:

the greatest recommendation that i can give for mendeley is the integrated file reader with connected annotation and comments. More than this mendeley is a free software for limited use. so give it a try

sharing of documents and the collaborated editing of bibliographical data has been a great challenge that has been addressed by mendeley and this will prove to save great amount of time in organizing the files with your system and colleague.

Graduate Research Assistant

"Easy Reference managing"

What do you like best?

Best thing about mendeley is the built in PDF reader with notes and highlight view in dashboard. The citation manager plugin with word is always in sync and you can search and pull a paper by author name, paper title or even with the keywords.

What do you dislike?

there is nothing that is bad about mendeley.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mendeley is a free software with limited storage, so feel free to try it before buying, I am sure you will like it. The mendeley citation manager plugin with word will help you in managing and composing bibliography with ease.

organizing and searching the relevant document easily. editing bibliography with connected and networked authors are made easy. citomatic plugin available with mendeley will help in cross linking the article that you write with the citation database and pulling up the required citation in very simple. the numbering of citation are corrected by the mendeley plugin itself. The web plugin with mendeley help you to save the citation and the source article directly from the web, hence you will never miss an article in your citation.

Teaching Assistant

"Mendeley"

What do you like best?

I like how it is very easy to insert citation and reference list into word (I guess it is probably less useful for latex users? But I think it can be used to generate bibtex file?). I like how it is both a reference storage place and can at the same time store the pdfs (although I sometimes hate it, see below). The search function is fairly good. I like how one can separate files/refs under different folders.

What do you dislike?

In most cases, one can easily find the correct document info (especially when there is a doi), but sometimes it gives back weird errors (especially for some old papers). Also, there is somewhat lack of flexibility when dealing with unpublished work or posters. Also, the tag system is kind of nice (although I actually rarely use it...), but it is case sensitive and as one that is not consistently organized, sometimes I fail to keep track of what exact wording I used a few years back and then I need to change all the new/old tags. I wish they could use do something like tag consolidation. Also, the merge duplicated document function is very confusing... I have no idea how it works and don't dare to use it, resulting in a lot of redundant files. While I love the pdf storage function, but the space is limited (unless you pay a price) so I tend to keep hard copy on my own hard drive, it is kind of then a waste of space and I'm storing multiple duplicates. Oh, and their inline citation format is not very flexible... One needs to irritate the program repetitively to get it to work as one wishes.

I remember the times when I used to generate references by hand... good times. But with mendeley, more often than not things work and I only need to make minimal changes.

Senior Postdoctoral Research Fellow
(10,001+ employees)

"Awesome Free Reference Software"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is free, super easy to use, integrates within Word and internet browsers and highly accurate. You can download references from a public database rather than look for them on the web. You can import directly from PDFs and even store PDFs in the cloud. Mendeley also tracks your own personal citations and suggests relevant research for you.

What do you dislike?

The templates for various references cannot be altered. For example, I am unable to prevent the software from importing DOI information into citations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would check this out. It is great for most users. I'm sure that there's fancier options, but this is perfect for writing scientific papers.

Mendeley helps manage my references when I am writing research papers. It has saved me hundreds of hours and thousands of headaches vs. manually tracking references. It is also free and, as far as I can tell, as good as expensive reference software.

Student Body President, Graduate and Professional Student Government
Higher Education

"Excellent Free Reference Manager"

What do you like best?

I really like that Mendeley allows you to import your reference libraries from other management softwares. It also has a clean interface that works well for keeping everything organized. Mendeley works really well with switching from computer to computer while working on the same document. For the reference styles that it does not work well with (Vancouver), you will need to edit in text. With other free reference managers, editing causes a lot of problems, especially when you update the paper later in the process. With Mendeley, if you edit the citations in text or in the reference section, it only asks if you want to keep the manual edits once, and then moves on. This is even true when opening the document on a different computer

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it doesn't have correct citation styles, for example Vancouver.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This platform allows easy transition from other reference managers.

I use Mendeley to assist in preparing manuscripts for original research projects. The number one benefit is that it is so easy to use and free. Other open source options (cough, Zotero, cough) are too clunky and do not work well with chrome or mac platforms. I have never had a problem with Mendeley. Another benefit for this software is that it allows you to search for papers in the desktop application, this makes writing a lot easier (and quicker) because you don't have to go through several steps to log on to your institutions library website. Additionally, they send you suggestions based on your search history.

PhD Student
(10,001+ employees)

"Great free citation manager with some bugs"

What do you like best?

I like the software interface and the synchronization features that this software has along with the web based importer and the Microsoft Word plugin. But there are some bugs as well. Overall though, you can't beat the software on value for money seeing as it is free.

What do you dislike?

There are multiple bugs and synchronization issues when the same account is used in multiple computers. Very often there is an error message at the top of the program saying that some kind of synchronization error has occurred and Mendeley can't sync. But the message does not specify which file is the source of the error or how to resolve the issue and as such it is kind of useless to the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have been using Mendeley while other people I know use Endnote. And to be honest, I have never felt that I needed to buy Endnote to be able to have all the features I need in a reference manager. Mendeley fulfills that role adequately.

I use Mendeley for most of my research work and writing scientific papers and publications. The Word plugin has been especially useful since it integrate well with the existing software without much hassle in installation and plays well with Word's native reference tools. Also stylesheets for different journals can be downloaded from the web library and used without the user needing to modify anything. So far I have been able to find all of the stylesheets for the journal I have looked for.

Coach/Physical Therapist

"Very easy to use"

What do you like best?

I started using Mendeley as a way to compile date from the various research articles I've come across when scouring the internet. What I like the best of this program is the attachment to the google chrome web browser. I am able to find a useful article and then click this button, which would automatically sync up with my medley account. And then from there I am able to grab the articles when needed. I also like how it can also create the citation for me based on the format of the document that I am writing

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything that I don't like about this program. This might actually be a limitation of google, but when I am logged into multiple accounts (email addresses) on the google chrome web browser, sometimes it doesn't sync up with the account that is actually linked to mendleley

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It can be very easy to get caught up in the various literature. Organization is key and make use of the tabs and organization

The biggest business problem is organizing various research data. The organization of data and the cited works makes writing content and papers a lot easier.

In addition to that, as a clinician in the healthcare field, it is important for us to cite various research, and also find the needed sources to support my clinical decision making

Instructor
(10,001+ employees)

"Simple way to organize academic articles"

What do you like best?

Mendeley allows for the easy organization and recording of academic articles (which I use it for). The software allows you to upload pdf articles and then you can tag them to organize. The software also allows you to highlight within the text for note taking. Also allows for you to generate full citations for articles and export them to word.

What do you dislike?

I overall enjoy the software, however, the place where you take notes on the article needs to be improved. The notes window is too small and does not allow you to customize text (e.g., bold, underline, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for an easy way to organize research articles this is the best software to use. Very easy interface.

We are able to organize a massive amount of research in one easy to use software program. Mendeley also allows for the easy importation of citations into manuscripts which is a massive time saver.

Research Associate (post-doctoral)
(10,001+ employees)

"A good reference manager"

What do you like best?

Mendeley makes it easy to import new references - just save them in a folder on your computer and Mendeley reads them in. It supports both Word and BibTex. It has a good cloud storage system for your references, which makes them available across devices. Mendeley has a good built-in PDF editor that makes it easy to collate your notes.

What do you dislike?

It's very journal article centric. Quickly importing books is not nearly as straightforward - that usually has to be done manually. It DOESN'T do APA style title capitalization properly. This is a huge headache.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Between Mendeley, Zotero and Endnote, Mendeley is the cleanest and most streamlined solution. Zotero is maybe a little more open-source-oriented.

I use Mendeley when writing academic papers. It has made referencing quick and easy. It is especially easy to share documents with references in them. There aren't all the hassles with tags and macros.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"It makes a students life very easy "

What do you like best?

The ease with which you can annotate. And also that it saves your data online so you won't have the fear of losing it. I also like its preface.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't point out any spelling and grammatical errors. So one needs to keep reading the notes again and again to make sure that they are not vague. Since at times, when you go back to your annotations - even you can't understand what's written.

Secondly, as far my experience has been, you need to save documents to your computer and then upload them to Mendeley - if there were a way that these docs could get directly downloaded to Mendeley, it would have been better.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it and you would find it better than many other reference managers.

I have recently started my doctoral studies. Earlier, I had always read from paper, so reading from the screen was a big big challenge. Mendeley helps me keep a track of the literature that I am reading. And since there's loads of it, it has made my life a bit easy. It's also very easy to navigate through.

Graduate Assistant

"Excellent Reference Organizer"

What do you like best?

This is a great place to organize my articles and take notes. I have been using this program for three years now, and I can't find fault with it. I'm just worried about running out of space. I love that I can easily make a reference list that is properly formatted in APA.

What do you dislike?

I used to be able to share articles without exporting the file as a PDF. That feature is gone. I miss it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Organize articles by category. This way, you can easily find them when you need them.

I keep articles for literature reviews organized. I can quickly make a references page in correct APA format. I have also used it to keep articles organized to write final exam responses with ease.

"Mendeley makes research easier"

What do you like best?

(1) I love the article information search feature. It makes it easy to find all of the bibliographic details with the click of a button, rather than having to enter the data by hand. This feature works great with scholarly articles!

(2) It is also fantastic that the software allows you to retain PDFs of articles as well.

(3) Organization is made simple. It is easy to sort articles into folders by topic.

(4) Searching articles is efficient and easy. Mendeley allows you to search for keywords, pull up all articles by a particular author and even keeps record of the articles you have just added or recently read. As someone who spends a good portion of the day searching for scholarly data on a variety of topics, it is very handy to be able to easily view the articles I've recently added.

What do you dislike?

If the piece is not a scholarly article, it is cumbersome to enter details by hand and the automatic author name entries that pop up can be annoying to try and reset. However, this is a small inconvenience overall.

I am now able to easily store large numbers of articles for free. I used to use other reference management software, but they can be quite expensive. As an employee of a small non-profit, it is essential to save money whenever possible. I conduct systematic reviews, which require a great deal of storage space. I am still working with the free version and haven't run out of space yet!

Even if you do require more space, the paid versions are very affordable. For a tool that is so affordable, Mendeley packs a punch and easily competes with more expensive counterparts.

Manager
Food & Beverages

"A one stop docunment management and citation tool"

What do you like best?

What i like best about mendeley is that it comes with inbuilt citation options for the basic citation methods. The 2 gb offered in the cloud is also good, and ensures docunments are secure. The application can also be hosted on any browser, which makes it convenient to use

The advantage of using mendeley is that is makes the process of writing and presenting projects and proposals easy

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about mendeley is that only the software cloud can be used effectively with the software. Other storage options are not compatible.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mendeley can move document citation to another level. I highly recommend mendeley software to any organization that incurs frequent reporting.

The software is enabling the organization to create better reports for the organization. Documents are better managed with mendeley

Associate Director
(10,001+ employees)

"Elsevier seems to have made Mendeley worse. That is sad because it used to be awesome."

What do you like best?

I used to love Mendeley. They were clearly the leader in terms of NLP for PDFs and the product accommodated real researcher workflows: Get the references, download as PDFs so you could actually read them, then load into a product. Mendeley's only downfall before is that it didn't pull PMC number which was required for all NSF grants.

What do you dislike?

Astonishingly, since being acquired by Elsevier, the NLP data extraction from the PDFs has gotten significantly worse. It now selects articles at random and inserts the details of those instead of the uploaded article. Given that it's been three years, this is a remarkable (non) accomplishment.

It still is a decent reference management software. But I'll probably defect to Zotero or Endnote going forward.

Biological Science Technician
Research
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Very practical, open source and free!"

What do you like best?

You may use either the web or desktop version. On top of being an easy to use reference manager, it catalogs your pdfs in any way you prefer. Mendeley also shows annotations you created directly in your PDF files with Mendeley’s internal PDF editor. Overall it is pleasant to use, accessible across devices and provides more services than a simple reference manager.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind at this very moment. I enjoy using this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try out different settings and find the one that will help your bibliography database. Practice the different APA styles and editor. Update the software regularly.

Organization and sorting of scientific literature related to on going projects. It is also has the ability for group collaboration.

Education Management

"Citation Manager for PhD Student"

What do you like best?

There are no frills with Mendeley. I drag and drop the pdfs I need into folders that are intuitive enough to organize. It has all the features you'd expect from a decent citation manager like highlighting, coloring, comments, and tags. In fact, there isn't really a whole lot that stands out compared to other managers such as Zotero, but just because it isn't blowing my socks off with bells and whistles, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the fact that it organizes my files.

What do you dislike?

The macro data (authors, year, journal, etc) is often lost in the import or the wrong macro data is imported, especially for older files where the text may be harder for the software to scan. While this is understandable for some really dated files, it is annoying to have to manually input macro data, especially when looking up such data takes almost as much time as putting it into a citation machine like bibme.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Because the macro info can be suspect to either not being imported or imported incorrectly, it is worth taking the time when you first upload a file to make sure you have all the necessary macro information in place. This will save you headaches when you either need that macro info (writing papers) or if you rely on such info to search through hundreds of files.

Pre-PhD, I kept my files in a folder in my hard drive. While it may not seem like Mendeley is much more than a place to organize folders in the same manner, it has been a saver of time in how I am able to quickly search, view, and mark up pdfs. For a grad student (or faculty) who writes academic papers requiring countless citations, saving as many middle steps saves a lot of time.

Ph.D. Student
(10,001+ employees)

"Good online functionality -- offline is on par with the competition"

What do you like best?

I like Mendeley for its simplicity. It does do the same thing as its competitors, and, in fact, there seem to be fewer features; however its fairly clear how to use Mendeley, which cannot necessarily be said for some of its competitors.

What do you dislike?

Storing files has been a problem before. Also, Mendeley's offline and sync functionalities are not as strong.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Think about where you want to store things and what computer(s) you will primarily be using Mendeley from. If it is from a person, single-user computer, you may be better served with other products.

Mendeley has been useful for primarily internet-based library construction. It's been great for using on public computers, where my files will eventually be deleted -- everything I need is stored on Mendeley.

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Using mendeley for research paper organization"

What do you like best?

It is very convenient to catalog research papers for future reference and use the mendeley plug in to cite references in word. It has different formats for citations which saves time as compared to manually formatting it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes if you download papers from pubmed or NIH websites it is unable to parse the author names and paper details correctly. That causes a problem when you are looking for a particular paper in the library.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that you install mendeley plug in to the software that you use for writing or editing papers. It makes life simple.

Citing references in the papers is very easy using mendeley. It is very convenient to edit the paper and references as well.

"A time saver"

What do you like best?

I like Mendeley's desktop application interface, and appreciate the functionality of the mobile application version. There aren't many citation managers that have a fully functional mobile application, so that is really nice.

What do you dislike?

I can't feel confident that Elsevier's content is not prioritized with Mendeley. As an open access advocate, it can sometimes be hard to stomach taking advantage of this product considering its provenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I always recommend trying a lot of different citation management software tools before committing to one. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and the best tool is going to be different for everyone, depending on your own individual needs. Mendeley is a great tool but so are Zotero and RefWorks. So give it a chance but don't commit too soon.

Mendeley makes it easy to keep track of journal articles and other documents, organize them, and track my own stuff. It is a good tool to recommend to students since it is free.

(10,001+ employees)

"Great capacity to document research and network"

What do you like best?

The fact that Mendeley is online and accessible anywhere is a fantastic resource. The cataloguing, citation creator and searchability functions are unparalleled. The integration into Word and the PDF capabilities within the software are great.

What do you dislike?

I preferred it when it was more focused on offering the services for keeping track of citations and didn't include all of the networking features that currently dominate the online interface. These are a distraction which is the great part about working in Mendeley itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

That its a free service makes it an awesome product.

I use Mendeley in the capacity of a doctoral student to keep all of my citations in one place and accessible remotely from any computer with an internet connections

"Powerful Citation Manager"

What do you like best?

The Chrome extension allows me to easily save citations for articles from anywhere. I can save citations into different folders as well as have a shared folder that group members can use and contribute to. I love that it can also find/download PDFs of the documents if available. Plus, it easily formats citations into APA exactly as I need them.

What do you dislike?

The plugin for Microsoft Word is tricky to use. I had difficulty getting it to work properly with in-text citations linked to the overall reference list that it inserts at the end of the word document. Instead, I manually type the in-text citations and paste the formatted citations into my bibliography. I'm sure I could use the word plugin properly if I took the time to read a how-to guide.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are other's out there, but I find Mendeley to be very streamlined and intuitive. Easy to use and great for collaborations. Great price (FREE!).

I use this to manage a plethora of articles for my research and collaborating with colleagues on the same projects. It has saved me time, resources, and peace of mind.

UR

"Great for Citations"

What do you like best?

I like being able to search for articles that I need and having Mendeley tell me how to cite the article. It's also nice that they offer different citation styles. We go back and forth between medical and legal citations so it's helpful that I can be sure the reference is properly cited. Customer service has always been very helpful when we've contacted them with questions.

What do you dislike?

It took some training... I wish it was more intuitive to use. You also have to double check the citation; I've found errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I don't have experience with similar programs, but Mendeley is relatively easy to use and allows us to keep our data and articles organized. Being able to search for a specific term, author, etc. is also very helpful.

We use Mendeley to share articles with our client base. It's a good organization & data management system that meets our needs.

(10,001+ employees)

"Mendeley for citation management"

What do you like best?

I love having all my papers in one place, being able to tag them by topic, and being able to easily add references to papers I'm writing. Mendeley just makes working with journal articles so much easier - instead of keeping tons of PDFs in various folders all over your computer, they all live in Mendeley and are accessible online, as well as synching across multiple computers. You can annotate papers right in Mendeley, and can search easily by keywords, authors, etc. - which means that you never lose a paper!

When you're writing and want to include references, you can just use the Mendeley plug-in for MS Word and search for the paper you are trying to cite. Mendeley automatically formats the in-line citation for you, and when you reach the end of your paper you can automatically add a bibliography that includes everything you cited in the text.

Another really great thing about Mendeley is that it recommends papers to you based on the topics you read about. I have found so many great papers this way!

What do you dislike?

The iOS app is a bit clunky; I would love to be able to highlight and write on the papers directly, but instead the app works just like a smaller version of the desktop program and doesn't take advantage of being on a touch-sensitive device. I also find it hard to email PDFs of papers from Mendeley, especially if I don't want to send all my annotations. Additionally, the online version of Mendeley makes it difficult to sort papers because it does not include your tags. Finally, Mendeley's references are not always in perfect APA format (the citation format I most commonly need) which is frustrating; I end up having to do a fair amount of manual editing of my references to correct small issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend using Mendeley. Just keep an eye out if you are working on a document where having the citations formatted 100% correctly is important (such as a manuscript for submission to a publication) since Mendeley does mess up formatting sometimes. Overall it will make your life SO much easier. And definitely sign up to get paper suggestions!

Citation management and PDF/document organization. Mendeley has enormous benefit as an organized, simple to use platform to find, store, read/annotate, share, and cite papers.

Ph.D. Candidate | Research Assistant | Teaching Fellow
(10,001+ employees)

"A must to have a library to keep the research publications organized."

What do you like best?

I have been a Mendeley user for 5 years now, and I use it every day to keep the research articles organized. The key feature of Mendeley is the ability to organize research articles across different topics/research-areas by creating folders. Also, an inbox like listing of the articles provides an overview of the library and it is easy to search for an article. In addition, the articles in a folder can be sorted quickly based on the authors, title, year, date added etc. For each selected article, the panel on the right side of the interface provides all the metadata and the ability to add notes. Most importantly, the articles are synced to the user's online account, and it is easy to access the article through the web interface.

What do you dislike?

The desktop application, though has various nice features, still needs a lot of improvements. For example, when adding notes to an article, one cannot change the font in the edit box. Also, resolving duplicate articles is still a complicated task. There are options to filter the articles by using filters "authors" "tags" etc. However, the interface provides no option to search for a filter value. This is a time-consuming task. Also, the interface should have an auto sync feature everytime the application receives the focus.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are trying to find an online/desktop library to organize the research articles, Mendeley is the best software available today. Mendeley is rich with features, and its ability to sync all the articles to an online account makes articles accessible anywhere and on any device. With Mendeley web import addon it is easy to add new articles to the library and it saves time significantly.

Mendeley mainly helps to organize the research articles. Thousands of articles can be managed with ease when using Mendeley. Searching for articles is quick on Mendeley, and hence a lot of time is saved. Mendeley web addon (Import to Mendeley) makes it quite easy to sync articles from the web to the user's Mendeley account. Without this feature, one needs to download and add the articles to the library which is time-consuming. Also, the ability of Mendeley web addon to import articles from pretty much any website is highly commendable.

UE
(10,001+ employees)

"Writing Scientific Papers with Mendeley "

What do you like best?

Mendeley has a lot of great features including cite while you write, but what sets them above other software is that it also functions as a PDF manager. You can organizes papers into folders by topic, view, read, highlight and take notes within the document. There is also a search tool that searches both the title and throughout the articles.

What do you dislike?

It does not always import italics well, you have to edit manual with HTML commands. The same for accent marks in author names, but I am not aware of a way to change efficiently add accents.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, it is totally worth it and they have great tutorials on their website.

Mendeley makes organizing your references within papers easy with cite while you write. You can change the style to any journal format with a simple click of a button with their word plug in.

Master's Research Student
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Good Assistance for technical writing"

What do you like best?

It is one of the best platforms for research as it has amazing collaboration features. You can cite a paper and leave your thoughts on it and share it for others to see. It also has plugins for citation which are quite useful

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, there are synchronization issues and the mendeley plugin on mozilla firefox does not always pick up the research papers in the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use mendeley to keep track of your references if you are writing a technical paper.

I used it as part of my research on SRAMs. Whenever I have to submit my reports or write a technical paper, Mendeley makes it easy by managing my references for me.

Research Technician I (Medicine-Hematology/Oncology)
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Easy way to manage publications"

What do you like best?

I love how I can keep all the publications, relevant to my multiple areas of work, organized for easy access. The ability to search multiple paper and have them all stored on the cloud is ideal for anyone in research.

What do you dislike?

There are a few instances (very few) where I must repeatedly log in again to re-link my account and occasional issues where data fields aren't automatically populated from an uploaded PDF but nothing that is a major impact on my use of Mendeley.

I am constantly using Mendeley to quickly search a collect of publications for answers or data that is directly related to my work. When working in scientific research, it is important to manage a collection of publications relevant to your work than can be easily search for data that is related to current research projects.

"A Great Way to Manage Citations"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is useful for storing and organizing citations, and for citing sources.

What do you dislike?

Some journals use the same citation style, such as AMA. If a journal uses the AMA style, that journal may not be listed. Instead, the user would have to know to select the AMA style. This can be cumbersome for some users. All journals should be listed, regardless of overlapping styles.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do you need something that can find the full text?

Do you need to be able to import duplicates?

Do you need to be able to share citations?

Do you need to be able to cite while you write?

How much storage do you need?

Do you need a solution that is 100% cloud-based?

Do you need something that is free?

How robust of a product do you need?

Document and PDF management